Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fiat 500

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,694
    No, had no idea but besides hydroplaning a bit in the rain, it wasn't that bad of a vehicle truth be told. And as a commuter vehicle, it does fit the bill nicely as it does have that coolness vibe going on...sorta like a Mini for those on a limited budget. For my next vehicle, part of me wants to stay with a reliable foreign compact but the other part wants a smallish "cool" vehicle so when the time comes, I plan to test a full range of things just to make sure I hit all the bases and get the perfect vehicle. I might have to pay a little more than I'd like and also give up a little in mileage but am determined to choose the coolest vehicle for me! Logic be damned!!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,231
    Which would be the nearest to a perfect vehicle for you, at an acceptable price, if you were to buy one today?
    The MINI is faster and more expensive than the 500, model for model. The Fiat is cheaper to buy and maintain, gets better fuel economy, rides better, and has higher seating.

Both have attention-getting looks.

I cross shopped the MINI and the 500 earlier this year, and it was close to a toss-up for me. As you may know from an earlier post, I ended up buying a 500 and I'm very happy it; not one problem after 6,000 miles. I'm sure I'd love the MINI too, but I had to choose.

Did you or are you cross-shopping the Fiat and MINI?
    At this point am doing nothing as we need to get the wife a vehicle first and am hoping that the last week of this year will be that time. Right now with just shy of 122k on the clock, things are working and the a/c problem isn't getting worse. Depending on problems and her trust in the vehicle will really decide when we cut the Mazda from the herd. She might even decide to keep it for as long as possible which is her choice since she will be fittin' the bill. Personally, I'd cut it soon before any new issues crop up...feel we've gotten great service out of it and I really don't want her to be forced into purchasing in a hurry in the event something major happens. To pay for a major repair and then turn around and dump the vehicle is bat [non-permissible content removed] crazy to me so my solution is to swap it out while it's all good so avoiding any drama. Under duress, folks tend to make bad and sometimes costly mistakes just to "get something" and I don't work that way.

With my personal vehicle, it's running great and just moved over the 43k mark but if something comes along that really gets me super excited, I might just decide to pounce even though it's totally out of character. But since I've retired and had some major health issues, I've changed my outlook on life and have become a bit more flexible on many things where I tended to be rigid before. I've learned to "never say never" and "that life can change in an instant". My new mantra is..."anything is possible"!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited August 2013
    I'm sorry about your health issues. From your earlier post I got the impression that you've driven a lot of different cars.

I agree with your philosophy on life.
    edited August 2013
    Why is the Fiat 500 discussion in the "coupes" section when it's a hatchback?
    edited August 2013
    The reason I drive a lot of different iron is because of my part time job...we move rental vehicles around the state of Florida. How busy we are depends on what time of year it is and the travel industry, a kind of feast or famine job. I heard that Last fall was quite busy with December being absolutely crazy. January through April was busy and then after that, things slacked off a bit and July was pretty dismal. August hasn't been that much better so we're all hoping that after Labor Day things will pick up. For a person like myself whose passion is the automobile, this job is a G-d send and I work whenever they call me to. I'm kinda like my bosses "go to guy"...he calls and I come no matter what time or day. I like the flexibility and work as much as I can though there are about 14 folks in our crew...he does his best to keep things pretty even which we all appreciate!

The Sandman

It sounds like a great job.

Incidentally, my 500 has the 5-speed manual. I imagine the rentals are all automatic, which changes the character of the car, fuel economy and performance.
    Yep, all slush boxes so far but they are equipped pretty nicely. If I needed an around town commuter, this would be a good choice and I do like the new "L" model...perhaps it'll drive a bit more planted to the ground. An old friend got her Mini last week and I was smitten the minute I saw it and said to myself...you could do this! For some reason, that vehicle is just calling me like no other one before...it's weird but I really want one. My daughter wanted to get one but we only had limited funds for her so we got her an economical vehicle as her 1st one. I've been doing economobiles my whole life but now am ready for some more lux...and I deserve it to!

The Sandman

I also really like the basic MINI Cooper, with a limited number of options. It's the only MINI that you can order without run-flat tires, and the power would be sufficient for me. What concerns me about MINIs, though, is their reputation for high maintenance and not very good reliability.

I don't have an opinion on the 500L yet, as I haven't even seen one on the road. Please give us feedback if you test drive one.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    Have been looking at this for an around town car, maybe short trips into the country. So far I'm impressed enough to pull the trigger on one. Will take a test run tomorrow.
    edited October 2013
    Hey this ain't bad. Had a good test drive, salesman let me take car for a day. All in all I'd say it's just fine for banging around town and short trips. Wife really likes it..

Odds are I'll buy one. After looking at all the other little cars this one fits me the best. At 6-1 and 240 my legs tend to get all wound up in the dash/steering wheel but not with this car.

Salesman was pretty open with me about problems with 2012 models, which I knew about.
    It's good for longer trips too. We took our POP (5-speed manual) on a one week, 1,100 mile vacation in August, and it drove and rode just fine on the highway. Acceleration isn't quick, but adequate, and it cruised nicely at 70-80 MPH over long stretches. Ours has averaged 41.5 MPG on premium over the 7,800 miles we've driven it, but I'm a relaxed driver.

The only small problem we've had is the seat belt buzzer on the passenger side was overly sensitive. It went off if the passenger moved a little, such as to pick something up from the floor. The dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing the sensor. No other issues.

We have 3 cars, and we're very happy with our 500.
    Hey that's great to hear. We have hi hopes and of course only TWT. It won't be a hi mileage vehicle, likely lucky if it sees 7,500 miles a year.

We're going to take delivery tomorrow on a 2013 Pop W/Auto.
    Congrats on your new vehicle...they are cute little things. I have driven a few and while they drive nice enough on dry pavement, too squirrely for me when it rains...it hydroplaned almost immediately which was a bit unnerving to say the least. I just lifted off the accelerator and it quieted down pretty quick but learned to keep the speed down if there is any rain. It was comfortable enough and the head room was very good. Everything was where it should be but personally, this puppy yells "cheap"...our Accent though not as "cute" has better ergonomics and materials for a lower price and in the rain it doesn't do anything unusual except keep it tires firmly planted on the road. As an around town runabout, the Fiat will be fun but I would not get one for interstate travel. I'd rather have a Mini Cooper which is on my relatively small short list for a replacement vehicle for myself...I would not even consider the Fiat unless it was the larger model for the added weight.
    Again, enjoy your new ride and I wish you many thousand happy and safe miles in it!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Well, all I can say is the wife fell in love with it. Was supposed to be my beat around town car but not any more. Guess I don't really care though. She's happy so as the old saying goes everyone's happy.
  • kdcarquestionskdcarquestions Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I'm in the market for either a new or used very small car. After internet research, I've narrowed it down to either a Fiat 500 sport hatchback or a Honda CR-Z.

I live in the northern outskirts of metro Atlanta, and I think the closest Fiat dealer is over an hour away. How inconvenient is it going to be to get a Fiat worked on for routine maintenance like oil/filter changes? What about if there's something more substantial needs to be done? I tend to not worry about staying with the dealership for this type of thing, so a trusted mechanic is an acceptable option. I'm just concerned since the car is so new to the US that there may not be many mechanics who know the car yet. Also, how difficult is it to get parts? This issue is just one reason the MINI is not in the running anymore.

The Honda wouldn't be a problem, as my previous car (totaled) was a Honda and I have a certified mechanic I trust for those, so this will probably figure into my decision.
    Congratulations! Please give us some feedback on your experience.

By the way, what's TWT?
    I've driven my 500 in the rain and haven't experienced hydroplaning. Also, I've read numerous consumer reviews, and hydroplaning isn't mentioned.
  • websmackwebsmack Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    I live in a small town and nearest FIAT dealer is over 1 hour away. The first 9 months I had the car I took it there religiously for tweaking and oil changes. But then I started looking locally. I found a good place for an oil change and brought my MOPAR filters with me. I called ahead to tell them i wanted to see the service manager and I took my cell phone and we watched an oil change video on YOUTUBE together lol, that went well. Then I found an even better place at a major brand car dealership a few miles away. Now I let them do oil changes and tire rotations every 5000 miles. I also took it to a national tire chain for a front end alignment and that went well too. So buy a few MOPAR filters and keep them in the car if you go on trips or travel and you won't have any problem with oil changes and front end alignments. And I recommend the FIAT over any other 'tiny' car. It's the most fun and it'll really make you smile.
    edited October 2013
    I agree, no problems in rain with hydroplaning, though I find the Sport model's stiff suspension is a choppy ride. In rain I slow it down considerably to take the curves.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,906
    By the way, what's TWT?

Time Will Tell
    Ah, thanks.
    edited October 2013
    My wife and I have three cars, including an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 turbo. I chose the Pop over the Sport largely because I felt the ride/handling proposition suited my needs better for the type of driving I do with my Fiat. It's mostly urban, and the highways I drive on are pretty straight, with long sweeping bends and some hills. Of course, I could look for back roads with tight curves, but I use the Fiat for my transportation needs rather than aggressive driving. It's space efficient, handles well, is fun to drive, gets good fuel economy and parks in tight spaces. These were the attributes I was looking for, and I'm very pleased. And, I get a lot of positive comments.

My dealer is 11 miles from my house, and what little service I've required has been good.
    I experienced it first hand on not one, but a few of them in the rain and so did a few of my fellow co-workers. We drive rental cars around the state for some of the majors and we've all had similar experiences so I can use this as my only frame of reference. I am happy that y'all do not have the same issue with your vehicles. I know these are very popular down here in South Florida and see all age groups driving them. Am not really sure how much the various models cost but I am assuming they are competitive with the other sub compacts from the other companies. They do seem rather fun and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be actually. And they are a good alternative for a first vehicle or not going the used route. I just know that as a d d, it isn't for me!

The Sandman

• I wonder if different tires handle that situation better or worse.

My 2012 Sport has Continental Procontac 195/45R16. It rained today but I never got over 65mph on local highways and had no problems, didn't think twice about it really.
    45 series are a very small sidewall and I'd bet on the expensive side to replace. I prefer a 65 series for the larger sidewall and almost went to the 205/65/16 size for my Civic although it calls for a 55 series tire but didn't want to have any issues with rubbing or hitting the car while going over large dips in the road. Figured the engineers who designed the vehicle used the proper size tires for the best ride and fit so why muck up the waters. Did that once with my Datsun 210 and ended up going back to the original size sneakers due to those problems of them hitting the frame while going over bumps...got too annoying so just swapped 'em out within the 30 day grace period. Learned a valuable lesson with the plus 1, plus 2 concept. But in all actuality, I think the 205/65/16's would be no problem at all as there is some room under there. I am happy with the ride of the stock size that came with it. Even got tires for just under that $90 price point due to the buy 3, get 1 free promotion at Tires Plus. The prices get stupid when one goes to 17", 18" and so on...plain stupid expensive!

The Sandman

Wife has been running around like she's crazy the past 3 weeks or so. So far she is all smiles, which keeps me happy. Nothing really to report so if any issues do arise I'll post them. Being a long time mechanic I'll usually spot issues before they become serious.

chow
  • I'm seriously thinking of buying a 500 Pop later this year -- just drove one and liked it a lot. The salesman claimed that even though premium fuel is recommended, it makes no difference at all if you use 87 octane regular. Now of course I would NEVER doubt anything a car salesman says, the profession being known for its rigorous honesty -- but still, have Fiat owners here had any experience using regular? Any difference in performance/mileage? Thanks.
    edited November 2013
    I run 87 all the time and once a month add a bottle of Berryman's B12 to keep the fuel injectors pristine. Use it from the start or you could wind up with buildup that can dislodge and cause a clog later. So if you're looking for good gas mileage go with a 5sp manual instead of the 6sp automatic. I took a trip this weekend on backroads and got 42mph @56mph avg. over a 225 mile non-stop trip. It's a good thing there's a signal for low gas because I go so long between fill-ups I forget to fill-up.