Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    Regal has better interiors, 18" wheels, dual 12 way heated seats, Onstar and backup sensors, nav and music HD for $31k. Sure the Camry is faster but its not better equipped, better looking, better handling or nicer inside. There is no comparison between the materials in the Regal and the Camry.
    There are no times for the turbo four yet. I'm thinking it should be in the high 6 to 7 sec range to 60 while the Malibu gets to 60 in about 6.5 secs. Hardly a major difference in my book. With the 18/29 mileage and 18.5 gallon tank the Regal 2.0T will also have much morr range than the Malibu V6. I had an Aura V6 and the range wasnt impressive with the 16 gallon tank.
    Push button start is an OK feature but you usually end up with the key fob floating somewhere around the cabin as you drive. it's not a time saver and its barely a convenience. It's just a neat gimmick really. I have not heard that push button start will be added and I doubt that it will since the dash would have to be modified. I do know that remote start and a base model Regal will be added next year along with the GS. Remote start is the only major option that the car is missing. Perhaps memory seats will be added as well.

Tons of $30k cars don't have push button start including the TSX, Accord, MKZ, etc. Many of the luxury cars that offer this feature don't even offer it as standard equipment.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    overbrook, good points about the driving range.

If the 2.0T has a decent 0-60 time, as you surmise, then it may be a go.

Looking forward to seeing and driving it.
    Agree 100%.

Push button start IS a gimmick!
    Best reference point for the Regal turbo is the A5 2.0T which has been clocked to 60 in 6.4 secs with a manual transmission with 211hp and 258lb-ft. Granted, that car has AWD which helps some but I think its very possible to see a 6.5- 6.8 0-60 time for the Regal turbo. GM cars with automatics generally arent slower than the manual versions so I dont expect any penalty for the auto. I would like the turbo but I wasnt willing to spend any more than I did.
  • I can see where for some people it is just a gimmick. However, when I go between my two cars now, I prefer getting in the one where I can leave the key fob in my pocket. Nothing to fumble with and insert. It is a small thing of course, but it is nice.
    gregg,

I see your point. It would possibly be more convenient than a conventional key but is it ultimately yet another electronic gadget to cause problems sometime in the future?

The experience with new electronic parts in many recent cars (e.g. i-Drive in BMWs) has not necessarily been a happy one.

Your thoughts?
    Its a nice feature once you get used to it, but I would never not buy a car simply because it lacked push button start. The only advantage is that you save 3 seconds by not having to insert a key. On some vehicles you still stick the fob in a slot and then press the button which is a waste really.

Since the insignia lacks push button start I wouldnt expect it on regal anytime soon.
  • Having to insert a fob AND push a button a la VW is rather stupid. Buick would need to do little to install this feature. A puxh button is not really necessary. Just allow turning the ignition without the key in it, as long as the key is in the car (a la Suzuki SX4).
    the CTS has a ignition switch to turn even when you have keyless go. The Acura RL has this as well. The Lacrosse has true push button start as does the SRX.
  • Yes, without modifying the dash, Buick could offer keyless go on the Regal. As long as you don't have to insert a fob AND push a button (or turn the ignition switch), it is easier and more convenient. So much so I wouldn't buy the car if it didn't have it? No. But it is so easily included these days, I hope they add it soon. They probably will when production switches from Germany to the USA next year.
    I doubt it. I think they want the Lacrosse to maintain some feature advantage relative to the Regal. Right now the only things the Lacrosse offers that the Regal doesnt are memory, push button start, remote start V6, HUD and steerable HIDs. The Lacrosse is supposed to be a more premium car after all.
    The official pricing is out finally. A turbo with all the options is $35k. Unfortunately you have to get the IDCS to get the 19" rims but you can get HIDs and H/K without getting the system. If I had waited for the turbo I would've had to pay about 2200 more than I did. HIDs would be included in that package. Only the base turbo and perhaps the sunroof equipped model dont have HIDs. Seems like its priced pretty competitively with the TSX and upper levels of the CC. I look forward to seeing some performance tests.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    35k seems a lot. I seem to recall Bob Lutz saying GM will lose money on these before the move is made to have them built in N America. So I'm guessing people will have to pay close to MSRP? In any case 35k is in 328, A4 and G37 territory. Tough competition.
    When you mention those other cars you have to mention they will be base models for $35k. The regal is loaded with 19s, HIDs, heated seats, nav, etc. Let's not pretend you can get a similarly equipped 328 or A4 for that kind of money. You can either get a base model of those cars or a used version for $35k.

When Lutz made those comments it was likely before he knew GM would go bankrupt. They can make money on cars that wouldn't have been profitable before.

Just for reference a loaded Camry is about $32k and a loaded Mazda6 is close to $33k. The TSX V6 starts at $35k+. I don't think the turbo is overpriced.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Well I'll split the difference with you. I've priced out a G37x sedan with premium package and Edmunds gives me 36k for TMV. So if I can get the turbo for below MSRP at say 32 or 33, ok, but it's still creeping up on that next tier of car. Maybe it's deserving of being there I dont know yet.
    well you cant compare TMV to MSRP obviously. The G is in its 4th year so its obviously going to be available for a nice discount relative to MSRP while the brand new regal is going to sell close to MSRP. the G37 will definitely be faster than the Regal but I dont see any advantages beyond that. The interior of the Regal is as nice as the G37 and it has more trunk space and it will be less common than the ever popular G.

$35k isnt a lot of money these days for a loaded midsize luxury sedan. A loaded Maxima is close to $38k BTW so I suppose many prospective Maxima owners would be smart to buy a G37x instead. Other cars in this price range are the Avalon (starts at $33K) and the Taurus SEL/Limited. There are numerous "lesser" vehicles that would cost more than the $32k TMV figure you have for a G37x.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    edited September 2010
    I got to sit in a new Regal with the Cocoa/Cashmere interior this weekend. Prior to this every one on the lots here had the black interior and I did not care for the coal-mine effect inside. The cashmere treatment makes a world of difference. The car i was trying had a sunroof so that brightened things up even more, but the overall ambiance is far more airy-feeling. Too bad Buick is not yet offering a titanium interior color like on their other models -- that would be an improvement over the black.

I also had the chance to try the back seat. I did the "sit behind myself" test on the drivers side and was impressed - I was quite happy back there even with the drivers seat at a comfortable setting, a real surprise. Then on the passenger side I set the front seat to a setting that was a bit more forward than the drivers seat was, but still quite good for comfort. Sitting behind myself on that side was great -- scads of legroom, an amazing amount actually. Combine that with the massive trunk and the Regal does very well for space utilization.

I like this car very much. I can't wait to drive a turbo model.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The 3.6L Malibu is very fast and under $30K.

That said, there will be lower trim lines coming when production starts in Oshawa so hopefully a CX turbo will be available.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I wouldn't bet on the turbo being available on a base (CX) model at all.
    This is the last year for the 3.6 V-6 Malibu, so if anyone wants one, better act soon.

I would not buy the Malibu without the V-6.

The small block V-8 in the Impala is already gone.

GM, if you are listening, don't sacrifice your affordable performance cars upon the altar of minimally higher mileage for if you do you will lose many of your loyal customers as there are and will be many of us who will not trade driving fun for that unproven green agenda.
    I like the cashmere interior better. I suspect that it would be a pain to keep clean though. That's the primary reason I got the black interior.

Another interior color will probably be added next year.
    Buick is getting rid of trim names like CX and CXl next year. I wouldnt expect a base model car to be sold with the turbo. The turbo will remain a higher end model in all likelihood. The GS will be the range topping model and likely will have lots of standard equipment that is optional on the lower cars.
    edited September 2010
    Funny thing. I prefer light colored interiors generally and have never found them to look dirty, even with minimal care. My '09 Buick's titanium leather interior still looks showroom-fresh. But every black interior I have seen outside the showroom looks dirty and worn after minimal real-world use. I think black shows every little lint speck, hair, cut blade of grass, or mud mark more than a light shade does.

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    So it seem, but the Lucernne top model with Aurora when available left out several options available on lower models. At that time, the letter designation also was followed by a number. And on the letter model one below the Aurora version, it was as high as a five. And still there were a couple of available options on top of that.
    light interiors absorb die from jeans and other items of clothing. My parents have a light gray leather interior on an Impala and its hard to keep clean.

Black does show lint but its more of an issue on the dash than the seats.
  • bheaneybheaney Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 2011 Buick Regal.There is a sound from the back area.We took off license plate, side panels in the trunk, spare wheel. Sounds like vibration from (?).Service department said it was the plate!! We thought something with heat sensor shield. Any idea's.
    I havent noticed any such sounds so far. Got about 2200 miles on the car. ONly issue is that the horn doesn't sound when you lock the doors with the fob even though I have it set up that way. The lights will flash though.
  • bawlmercbawlmerc Member Posts: 17
    Is it possible that AWD will be offered as an option in the future?
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    It's got 20 more HP and 43lb/ft more torque than the CC that does 6.8 with a stick and 7.4 with the DSG. It would be great if the regal turbo can do under 7 seconds.

I am hoping that the supply catches up quickly so these cars can be had for good prices. I've read that Buick dealers aren't discounting the Regal. With MSRP at 35K and Southern California sales taxes the Regal Turbo will find itself in a similarly equipped G37 territory and priced above a TL FWD w/Tech.
    I certainly hope so. AWD cars have traction and handling advantages over non-AWD cars and are the wave of the future.
    The hardware already exists, since there's an AWD version of the LaCrosse. It's a question of (a) whether there is a market for it, and (b) whether there is sufficient power to make it competitive.
    mean TSX? The TL starts at $35k without 18s or nav. Add those features and you are at $38k-$39k which is well above Regal. I believe a TSX with nav is about $34k with the four cylinder but that car will not be able to keep up with a turbo Regal with 258lb-ft of torque. the TSX V6 has a base price of about $35k and obviosuly lacks the features of a loaded Regal turbo for the same money. I don't see how the Buick is overpriced. G37s are a dime a dozen. Sure, it will be faster but I would be frustrated with a 328hp car in urban traffic and I think the Buick looks better.
    The GS concept had AWD but there have been reports that the real GS will be FWD to reduce weight and cost. If AWD is offered I suspect it will be on GS only to keep some differentiation with the Lacrosse with offers AWD on the CXL model. The Regal is a heavy car and I don't know that AWD is a good idea on the base model or even the turbo.
    This is what I found out:

TSX 2.4L with nav- $33,270
    TSX v6 with nav- $38,810
    TL 3.5L with nav and 18s- $40,695.

Even if you account for discounting its hard to see the Regal turbo being more expensive than the V6 TSX or TL. The loaded Regal comes with 19s, the IDCS, music HD, Onstar, 8 airbags, 12 way front seats (TSX has 4 way seat) and a larger trunk than the TSX or TL. The only thing you get on the Acuras is memory seats and homelink which arent on the Buick.
    The thing (or my thing) with the Regal is that dealers are not discounting them. A car priced at 35K plus Southern California taxes and tags means OTD price above 38K. I've been quote a G37 Journey with Prem/Nav for 38K OTD and TL with 18' for 37K. At this point, and I emphasis this point in time, the Regal might cross into another territory.

I can't comment on the features since those are pretty subjective based on individual wants or needs. I for one would love to have key less entry since I'm always carrying food or grocery when I get to my car. It would be great if I don't have to put them down so I can get the keys out of my pocket. I also need an advanced navigation since I'm the type of person who gets lost everywhere I go.

Don't get me wrong, I drove a 2.4L and really liked the car besides the lack of power. The only car I found to have more fitting seats for my body is the CC. I have to be honest to say that the seats fit my frame better than all the other cars I've test driven, the TSX, TL, G37, Mazda6 to name a few.

Now I hope by early next year Buick lots would be filled with Regals so the prices can come down. If I can get a Turbo with TO7 package for 32OTD then it just might blow a lot of its competitors out of the water.
    you arent going to get discounts on any new model. I only got about $900 of sticker on my car. The TSX doesnt have push button start and I believe its optional on the TL. The only features the TSX has that the Regal doesnt are memory and homelink- that's it. The regal has Onstar, turn by turn directions, 12 way power seats (you get manual lumbar on the TL", split folding seat with pass through, 19" wheels, 40GB hard drive, active damping, etc. I wouldnt say the TSX is better equipped than the Regal. The TL is slightly better equipped but it costs substantially more. The TL's styling is an absolute deal breaker for me so I wouldnt buy one regardless of price. I'd pay $1000 more for a loaded Regal. You didnt indicate if your OTD price for the TL included the $3100 nav package but I will assume it doesn't. Add that option and I doubt your TL would be cheaper than the loaded Regal.

By next year I'm sure some incentives will be offered and prices will come down but I wouldnt expect any miracles. The Lacrosse has been out for over a year and incentives have been minimal.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to interview someone who recently bought a domestic vehicle for the first time ever, or in a long while. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, September 22 if you have a story to share.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Good news first. I went to my local dealership, Tuttle Click Buick / GMC and was told that they ordered the first batch of Turbos 2 weeks ago. They ordered 6 and they will arrive in their lot in 4 weeks. I left my information with them and they'll call me for a test drive when they get it in. If that works out, I'll post my test drive impressions here. Cheers!!

I know there wouldn't be much discounts which say I emphasized that pricing might be an issue at this point in time. Let's move away from the pricing right now since we really don't know how much a loaded Turbo would really sell for. The dealership I went to didn't how much is going to cost them either so they couldn't give me any kind of numbers.

The TSX V6 has push start. Tech Packaged TLs have push start too. The TL with 18" I got quoted includes the tech package and it does come with power lumbar via 10 way driver's power seats. The Acuras come with more features that "I want" so you can say I'm biased when it comes to features.
    I didnt know the TSX had push button start on the V6. But the V6 starts at $35k without nav so I'm not sure if that features is enough to make a $35k TSX better than a $35k Regal turbo. complete pricing for the turbo has been released so they should have a rough idea of what the turbo will cost. Seems like they were holding back for some reason. You know loaded MSRP is $35k so I would think you can beat that by at least $1000.

I was underestimating the incentives on the TL, I guess they are really making an effort to move product. I believe the styling is a major factor there. Other than push button start and memory I'm not aware of any significant features on the Acuras in spite of their premium prices. I know for a fact the Lacrosse CXS(which matches up better with TL in size and price) offers more equipment than the TL. If I was in the market to spend $35k I might actually get the Lacrosse CXS over the Regal turbo. The main reason I got the regal is because for $30k its better equipped than the Lacrosse and I would want the 3.6L V6 if I got the Lacrosse which means spending at least $34k.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2010
    ...always pays more. When the lot is full of them they'll deal. This car was sold in the US last year as a Saturn Aura, so there is room to drop price if they need to.
    Not the same vehicle. The Aura was the previous generation.
    this car was supposed to be the next Saturn Aura, its new to the US market. Its the second car on the Epsilon 2 platform in the US after the Lacrosse. Malibu will be the third.
    All this about Epsilon has intrigued me to I looked at wikipedia.
    Some good info, but still confused, especially why they would modify it and still call it Epsilon.
    First was Epsilon, then extended Epsilon. Supposedly the extended was used under some 08 Malibu which had two wheelbase longer one under the wagon which matches WB for current. It would take more digging to find out for sure which Epsilon.
    And more confusing is that it says the Regal is on an Epsilon 2. So what exactly is it?
    It hints that the Malibu might move to an Epsilon 2 and in the works is a super Epsilon for large vehicles. The Lucerne going away to become a new Park Ave eventually and it and the Impala will have the Super E. But that is so far down the road they hint the Impala will be on an intermediary platform, Maybe the Epsilon 2.

Confused!
    Overbrook, what do you think about the steering weight on your Regal? When I test drove the Regal I was more focus on the quietness and engine power. I completely forgot how the steering felt. I went to test drive the VW CC again and the steering was just too light, Toyota Camry light. If the ICDS can really add some weight to the steering the Regal is going to move up on my list. Thanks.
    The first US car on epsilon I was the 2004 Malibu. It had the short wheelbase and the Maxx had the long wheelbase. The Aura, G6 and 2008 Malibu were all EP1 cars on the long wheelbase. In Europe, the Vectra was always on the short wheelbase. The Insignia was the first car on EP2 and this time the Malibu will share the short wheelbase with its European counterpart. The Lacrosse is on the long wheelbase version of EP2 and most presume the Impala will share this wheelbase when it shows up in 2012.

The Regal is the Insignia which means its on EP2 platform. If any Buick larger than the Lacrosse shows up it will be a RWD car, not an epsilon car.
    The regal's steering is definitely heavier than any Camry or comparable Japanese car. I drove a CC briefly but I didnt pay close attention to the steering. The regal's steering requires at least as much effort as the CC, maybe more. I don't believe the ICDS regulates steering, its a damping control system that allows you to firm up the ride.

Compared to the CC the regal's advantages are better equipment in the base model, 5 seat capacity, 18" wheels standard, larger trunk and onstar. My friends have a CC luxury and its a very sharp car BUT for nearly $28k you dont get features such as XM, auto climate control, 18" wheels, USB connection, etc. All of that is standard on the Regal for $27k.
    Is Epsilon a new division of GM that is responsible for body design? Much like you used to see a placard on many GM cars that said, "Body by Fisher".

The article did not say if the Super Epsilon was for RWD, FWD, or AWD.