Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I and many other car enthusiasts are not merely interested in "adequate" acceleration. A Cruze has that. In a premium car such as the new Regal which aims to compete with the world's best the acceleration had better be a lot more than just adequate.
    To quote the Bard of Avon, "that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    The TSX V6 is about 1 sec faster than the Regal 2.0T

In the first place your acceleration numbers are absolutely not correct unless you are given to a bit of exaggeration.

In actuality, the Acura TSX with the 6 achieves 0-60 in 5.9 sec while the Buick Regal does it in 7.5. Hardly "about 1 second."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/impressions/2010-acura-tsx-v-6

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1004_2011_buick_regal_us_spec_drive/s- pecs.html

Of course you failed to mention the $5k price premium for the TSX V6

Now, let's compare apples to apples and not to apricots, shall we?

The price of the premium Acura TSX V6 according to the Acura website is $34,850 while the price of the premium Buick Regal Turbo is $34,435.

http://www.acura.com/Pricing.aspx?model=TSX

http://www.buick.com/regal/2011/build-your-own/

I have nothing against the new Buick Regal and in fact think it has the potential to be a world-class car, especially when it arrives as the Regal GS. But presently, it is underpowered and if it is to aspire to be the best then it is going to have to have exemplary acceleration because that parameter happens to be associated with world-class cars, e.g. BMW. Did you ever hear BMW described as having merely "adequate" acceleration?

The comments and rationale in this discussion actually bring up an interesting point. For far too long Americans have become accustomed to being satisfied with "adequate" and "good enough." Where has gone that burning desire to be the very best in the world? Unless attitudes change, mediocrity is going to be the rule rather than the exception. Personally, I would prefer excellence over mediocrity.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Not to get too far off topic, but without the gov'ts intervention, we would still be driving around gas guzzling behemoths that had no safety features whatsoever. It took a govt law to force automakers to install safety belts as standard. It took a law to force them to add airbags, something that has been universally accepted to save numerous lives. It took a law to force more fuel efficient engines. It took a law to force them to reduce tailpipe emissions. I could go on and on. Automakers, if left to their own devices, would simply do what they want and it would not be in the consumer's best interest. I surely would hope you don't think it's better to simply gorge on a finite supply of oil to satisfy your enthusiast desires. That kind of glutonous attitude is what is truly wrong with Americans. Should the govt control everything? NO! But, some guidance is required to convince them to do better. The market does not make the most rational decisions when left to its own devices.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....Now, let's compare apples to apples and not to apricots, shall we?

The price of the premium Acura TSX V6 according to the Acura website is $34,850 while the price of the premium Buick Regal Turbo is $34,435"

Yes, but a BASE Regal turbo may be had for $28,745. NO TSX V6 can be had for less than $34,435. Not to mention the extra $110 for destination for the TSX over the Regal.

According to C&D's comparo, the as tested price difference is about $3,600 ($38,810 vs $35185 for the Regal T07) If you look at their final results on a point by point basis, The Regal scored as high as, or better than both the CC and TSX for the overall vehicle and the chassis, lagging only in powertrain (Duly noted in these arguments).

I have no doubt that anybody buying a Regal over the other 2 will be quite satisfied with their purchase.
    I concur. While I too would like to be rolling around in a 900 hp supercharged 455 Lacrosse GSX, We DO have to be concerned with the availability of dino juice both short and long term.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The base Regal has adequate power. The turbo Regal is far more than adequate, not a fast car but plenty powerful. If you want a lot of power, and a 5.9 sec 0-60 time, wait for GS and it's 255HP mill.
    I presently drive a 2006 Chevy Impala SS which goes from 0-60 in 5.6 sec and still gives 26 miles to the gallon on the highway. It uses a pushrod V8 which is a fabulous engine and has not given me a moment's trouble in over four years. It is much simpler than any turbo and has less complex mechanicals. What, pray tell, is the advantage of a slower, more expensive, more complex engine the mileage of which is marginally greater, if at all?

Newer is not always better.
    ".....I presently drive a 2006 Chevy Impala SS which goes from 0-60 in 5.6 sec and still gives 26 miles to the gallon on the highway."

More than likely, if you took a long drive in a new Regal, you will find you get north of 30 mpg. My father got over 30 in his 2010 Lacrosse with the 3.0 V6. I have yet to take mine on a long enough drive, but routinely got over 30 mpg in my '99 Ultra. 26 MPG in a V8 car is excellent for what it is.
    The base Regal has adequate power.

That is entirely a matter of subjective opinion, not fact. In my opinion it is not adequate but slow and for that reason it does not meet my needs and I would not buy it.
    I would much, much rather achieve 26 mpg in a car I dearly loved to drive (puts a smile on my face every time it lays me back against my seat at 80 mpg in southern Utah or West Texas) than achieve a minuscule 4 more mpg in a car that just ambles leisurely along.

That is not to say that a leisurely car is problematic, I simply prefer the raw power of the SS combined with very good gas mileage.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    Well, you raise an interesting question. The Impala is built on GM's old W-body platform, as is my '09 Allure/Lacrosse. As an older platform, it lacks a lot of the hi-tech geegaws that newer designs receive. It is also less rigid but trades that off for lighter weight. It may not be quite as good in a crash, though I do not know that for a fact.

For what I would spend on a Regal GS or a 2011 Lacrosse CXS, I could have bought an Impala SS or, even better, the Lacrosse Super, with the V-8. Now, it would look old-fashioned inside and out, and the dash designs are old-style, and some of the materials were not as good. But it is roomier and probably a lot less expensive to fix should something go wrong.

Is it progress? From the point of view of looks and efficiency, probably so. But my '09 Allure, with the ancient 3800, put out 200hp and 230 lb-ft of torque. That's more power than the base Regal has. Even with the old 4-speed automatic, my car moves quite well. I have driven the base Regal, and it might be a bit quicker off the line than my car thanks to the 6-speed transmission, but the rest of the time it drives pretty much the same. I like the size and handling of the Regal compared to my car, but it isn't a huge leap forward. But it is new and stylish and has all the tech. I'm happy with my car and feel no urge to upgrade right now.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited November 2010
    Somebody driving a V8 powered Impala states they get 26mpg hwy. A car that's rated 16mpg city and 19mpg combined. Sure you can 26mpg if you drive 65mph on a level highway, but that's far more than that car will ever average.

And yes, I don't need a 300hp engine while our planet is down to it's last 38 years worth of petroleum. I do fine with cars I can average 26mpg in, thank you.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Priggly -

Let's keep the politics out of this discussion. You've swerved pretty far in the last couple of posts, and are starting to get shrill. And speaking for myself, I personally don't want to read rants about liberal lunatics, scientific conspiracies, and Al Gore's beach mansion, or claims that these people are ganging up and wrecking the world (and depriving everyone of cheap gas and a good time, just because).

There are other blogs for that sort of thing, filled with like-minded people. And talk radio.

Make sense? Let's talk about cars.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    AMEN.
    Give it a rest, priggly. You're obviously immune to any point of view beyond your own.
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    A $27k car is not a premium car in 2010. A loaded Camry, Accord or Malibu will cost you over $30k so how is a $27k Regal "premium" in terms of price. Sure, the interior and warranty is superior to those cars but at the end of the day it's still a midsize family sedan.
    Impala SS was rated at 15/24 or 16/24 which is hardly the same as 19/30. If you think you need 303hp to get around every day there is no wonder you hate the Regal so much. GM's V8s with cylinder deactivation do well on EPA tests but real world mileage has never lived up to the EPA numbers according to magazine results. Average mileage for V8 powered cars with AFM has been in the mid to upper teens in magazine tests. The LS4 was a nice engine but the days of V8s in FWD cars is over.
    1. Regal Turbo starts at $30k, not $34k.

2. A base TSX has about the same level of equipment as the base Regal Turbo. The TSX has HIDs and memory standard which the Regal lacks. That's where the equipment advantages end.

3. C&D just tested the two cars and the TSX V6 got to 60 in 6 secs vs 7.3 for the Regal- a whopping 1.3 sec difference. Again, the gap wasnt surprising considering the 60hp advantage of the Acura. The TSX tested was over $3k more than the Regal and the Regal had better braking, a quieter ride and equal or superior skidpad grip. Regal has more cargo and rear seat room, larger wheels, adjustable suspension and better styling as well. They also said the regal handled better.

4. Plenty of BMWs have had "adequate acelleration" until recently. The last gen X5 came standard with a 260hp engine and a near 5000lb curb weight. This version was rarely ytested but 0-60 was likely in the mid to upper 7 sec range. The last gen 528 had only 230hp standard and with an auto likely needed mid 7s to hit 60. Same for last gen X3. The 328i with an auto is probably slightly faster than a Regal turbo. The manual car was capable of a mid 6 sec run to 60.
    Your position is that any midsize car or crossover with a four cylinder is too slow. FINE. That is your opinion and there is no need for you to talk about the Regal or any similar vehicle any farther. The FACT of the matter is that the Regal is as fast as at least a dozen other cars and crossovers sold in the $25k-$30k price bracket. Its acceleration is adequate for a midsize sedan with a 2.4L engine. If you think its too slow that means you find this class in general to be underpowered. Thats cool, but you wouldnt be looking at the Regal or any similarly powered cars anyway so you might as well stop ranting. Again, if you think 303hp is the baseline for necessary hp than its obvious the Regal isnt your cup of tea. In fact, you wont even be satisfied by the GS so I dont see ANY regal that will be up to your standards.
    Think about it this way:

The Regal has 28less hp and 58 less lb ft of torque than the Lacrosse and weighs slightly more and is about 1 sec slower to 60 while getting better mileage. The Lacrosse was rated at 17/25 and could get to 60 in about 8 secs. Sure, it was faster than the Regal, but not by a huge margin consdiering its power advantage. After Regal production comes to Canada I expect electric power steering to be added which should boost mileage by at least 1mpg.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If your post(s) wasn't/weren't directly about the 2011 Regal, that explains their absence.

Please note that my statement above is not the opening shot in a debate about our policies; thus, emails justifying the removed conversation will not receive a response.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I would like to thank our hostess, kirstie_h, for getting us back on track.
    1. The regal currently only has one engine and will have three. That means there are THREE levels of performance that will ultimately available to owners. If you dont like the base model there will be 220hp and 255+hp version of the car available. Projected 0-60 for the GS is 6 secs which is almost as fast as the Impala SS. If that aint fast enough for you I don't know what to say.

2. The base regal starts at an affordable $27k. That is NOT a premium price and few "world class" luxury cars are available at that price. Even though you refuse to admit the obvious the fact of the matter is that the base Regal competes with the higher end four cylinder sedans in the segment and most of those cars have comparable hp and acceleration.

3. Your posts about CAFE and being forced to drive four cylinder cars were not relevant to the Regal discussion.

4. I tend to disregard most overly optimistic accounts of mileage from users. We know that magazines drive test cars in the same way so we can see how various cars stack up when they are tested. If you do 100% highway driving in ideal conditions the SS may average 25mpg but reality is most people don't do all or most of their driving like that. I can tell you the folks in my city driving Impala SS are probably seeing 12-13mpg at the most.
  • I get your point, but at the same time I think you need to realize your Impala would not be getting 26 mpg highway were it not for mandated fleet averages. Automakers without threat of gas guzzler taxes would not have been likely to produce a 300 hp vehicle with such good mileage. And, yes, newer is not always better, but 2.4 liter 4s and 2 liter turbos do have more hp and mpg than 6s and even some V8s of 10 or more years ago, and do it with less emissions. Furthermore, though your Impala is a good vehicle, it makes do with cheap interior finishing. The Regal looks like real class by comparison.
    Actually, I prefer to think of the Impala's interior finishing as minimalist and not at all "cheap,"

It is very functional, everything works, the ergonomics are top-notch, the Bose audio is fabulous, the high-quality leather seats are very comfortable -even on long drives - the steering wheel size and location are perfectly suited to my size and body habitus, the heated seats have two levels and are highly effective (both seat and back) and the overall interior experience is highly salutary.

There is one more very desirable feature which I believe is unique to GM. While driving in Canada I can set the instruments including the speedometer to metric units (L/100 km) and while driving in the U.S. (which is most of the time) I can set the instruments to Imperial/English units (mpg). This is so very convenient and beats the heck out of the both systems appearing on the same dial, one smaller than and concentric with the other.

I have no complaints at all with my SS's interior or any other part of it for that matter.

I don't know for a fact but I hope the new Regal uses that same measurement conversion convention. Anyone know?
    Can't wait for the GS to get here!

It is the one car that might entice me out of my SS but I doubt it?

Anyone know is there is going to be an AWD configuration?
    Anyone see Ellen give away a beautiful Regal on her show last week? Buick is trying hard to get the news out about this car.

This is the first Buick that looks good inside and out (I did like the Reatta, but the interior was typical blocky GM style with digital gauges and plastitrim..yuck!) and I can honestly say I would consider buying it if I had the money. This car easily trumps the TSX in style. Gas mileage needs to be improved though.

Does anyone else think a 2 door Regal would look quite elegant? Riviera perhaps?
    My parents have an Impala LTZ so I know a lot about the car. I wouldnt call the interior cheap it all but its not on the same level as the Regal. The Regal has better materials (especially the armrests and stalks), LED backlighting, better steering and of course more features. The Impala hasnt really been changed in 5 years so naturally the regal seems more impressive. That said, the Impala is fine for family use and rides well and quietly.

Regal doesnt have the ability to display in english and metric on speedo because its from Europe. GMNA vehicles have the same feature the impala has but GM's imports do not. Regal does have aux digital speedo in the DIC that can be viewed in english or metric though.
    GM hasnt confirmed FWD or AWD. Concept was AWD but Lutz indicated the real car may be FWD to keep weight and cost down. Keep in mind an AWD GS would be closing in on 4000lbs. The Opel Insignia VXR is around 4000lbs with the turbo V6 and AWD.
    edited November 2010
    Sales were down slightly to about 1600 last month after being at 1700 for the previous 3 months. To my knowledge no real buy incentives exist on this car yet- maybe that will change now.
    The slow Regal sales are a bit disappointing BUT, with only the base engine being available for the first 6 months of sales - it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

The Turbo engine will be available in December and the Turbo GS by spring '11. These engines should really help the cause. The 2.4DI is fine for the base engine, GM needs an upgrade engine now.
    The Regal sales are slow because the engine is underpowered! Nuff said. I have contended this for some time and it is a fact!
    "......Does anyone else think a 2 door Regal would look quite elegant? Riviera perhaps? "

Nah. Too small for a "Riviera"
  • It is also a fact that the Regal is imported from Germany. With the exchange rate being what it is, right now GM does not make a dime on sales here. They have no incentive to pump up sales until production in Canada begins. The car so far is in short supply, it is selling close to list, and choices of trim are limited. It is selling quite well under the circumstances...an entry level almost near luxury car that starts at nearly $28K. When GM is able to build it at a profit here, plus offer some more potent engines, it will do even better.

But sales already are not bad. Buick is improving sales and market share with less than a handful of models. There are lots of us who are satisfied with a car that is stylish, well-equipped, quiet and comfortable. Until the last few years, $40K Audis did not make significantly more power. Wait for the GS and stop bashing people who would rather have quiet and smooth than brute force.
    Here we go again. Yes, I agree the Regal needs a 300HP V8 to be competitive. Anything less is underpowered. To be truly powerful though, it requires a 450HP twin-turbo V8 with 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead camshafts on each bank. A dry sump oil pan is mandatory also because when I'm pulling 1.1G at the track on Sunday afternoon I could starve those camshafts of lubrication. Happy now?

Seriously, the 2.4DI engine is fine for me and most "traditional" Buick buyers. The problem is this car is aimed at a target market that is more performance oriented, so the 220HP turbo engine was needed from the start - not 6 months after introduction. And....we are still 6 months away from the true performance Regal GS with it's 255HP mill. Then Buick will have a real line-up of Regal's to appease all tastes.

I do agree that having only the 2.4DI available this year has hurt sales.
    Not really. A Riviera reimagined for modern times. A Regal coupe would be bigger then the Riviera of the late 80s and the Regal 2 door of the 90s. Think about it....Buick could grab less traditional buyers who might otherwise go for a Cadillac CTS or BMW 3 series coupe, but want something more affordable as well as more elegant than the Altima/Accord coupe. Buick finally has a design that could work as a coupe. It could be a halo model to finally start to disintegrate the geriatric image Buick has.
    edited November 2010
    I think there's nothing more geriatric than a 2 door, 5 passenger near-luxury coupe. Anyone remember the Solara? If not geriatric, at least a bit over-the-hill.
    That is not a fact. I have pointed out to you NUMEROUS times that similarly priced vehicles have similar levels of power and acceleration. YOu have dogdged this point over and over since you dont want to face reality.

Regal overlaps with Lacrosse and is relatively unknown and has ONE engine. THAT is affecting sales along with lack of incentives. The availability of the turbo will help. Your assertions that the car is too slow is flat out false. MY uncle (has an older Audi) and cousin (has 2000 528i) both drove my car and had no complaints about the acceleration- they knew it was a 4 because I told them. If acceleration was all that mattered people wouldnt buy minivans or large crossovers like the Enclave or Flex. None of those vehicles are all that fast. An AWD Enclave needs over 8 secs to hit 60 in spite of having 288hp. A Chevy Tahoe has a V8 but still needs 8.5-9 secs to hit 60.
    sales are not that bad. Acura only sold about 2300 TSXs last month which is much more than regal and the Acura has two engines and an established rep. I believe the CC was around 2700 sales- again two engines, FWD and AWD and numerous trim levels. By next summer I expect Buick to be selling at least 3k of these cars a month.

Well GS has been unveiled now- no more speculation. We have the facts.
    That is not a fact. I have pointed out to you NUMEROUS times that similarly priced vehicles have similar levels of power and acceleration. YOu have dogdged this point over and over since you dont want to face reality.

I am quite at a loss to know who made YOU the authority on what is adequate power in any automobile. This may come as a surprise to you but for the premium price (at least in Canada) and the premium image that Buick so desperately wishes to convey, the base engine at least is TOO SLOW and the turbo is no great shakes, either.. If you do not wish to face that REALITY, that is your problem.
    Here we go again. Yes, I agree the Regal needs a 300HP V8 to be competitive. Anything less is underpowered. To be truly powerful though, it requires a 450HP twin-turbo V8 with 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead camshafts on each bank. A dry sump oil pan is mandatory also because when I'm pulling 1.1G at the track on Sunday afternoon I could starve those camshafts of lubrication. Happy now?

Not only is your sarcasm misplaced, it isn't impressing anyone. What the Regal needs to truly sustain its bid for premium performance car is adequate power commensurate with Buick's goals for it and adequate power is NOT what it has now. The GS will help, however.
    The current Regal has adequate power for me and many others. That's the point I was trying to make. I wasn't trying to impress someone who drives a Chevy Impala with a V8.

Buick planned to offer more powerful engines for the Regal from the start. They wanted to have one for sale quickly and only had the base engine ready. Understand?

The turbo and GS model will be here soon enough. Efficient 4-cylinder powertrains are here to stay. The age of the V8 has past.
    So let me get this straight...you consider the Cadillac CTS coupe, BMW 3 series coupe, and Audi A5 to be geriatric? I thought these were sporty alternatives to the sedan. My point was, that the Regal has the looks and the handling to work as a sporty coupe. It could also bring the price of a sporty coupe down to something a bit more affordable then the aforementioned cars. The Solara failed because it didn't look good and didn't handle good either.

I was mostly curious if anyone else thought a Regal coupe would look good and be a welcome addition.
    The age of the V8 has past.

Not so fast there, partner. The V8 is far from obsolete and is about to undergo the same technological revolutionizing that the V6 and V4 have. It will only become better as time passes. Still used in some of the world's best and fastest cars, nothing else equals it for sheer driving zeal and enjoyment.

Please do not be overly influenced to the negative by the current plethora of hysterical anti-internal combustion engine propaganda put forth by the ecozealots whose self-serving ideals far outweigh their ability for critical and constructive thinking. Contrary to the bleatings of such, the world is actually not ending any time soon.

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/8379591/the-general-forum/do-you-guys-think-the-- v8-will-ever-become-obsolete/index.html
  • Wow, you really know the world is not ending soon? ;)

One does not have to be hysterical to be concerned about the world we leave our children. You sound a little shrill yourself, and there really is no need. There are plenty of vehicular choices out there to fill the bill for you, and probably will always be. In 1990, no one would have predicted a 300+ full size Chevy getting 26 mpg in the real world...and that model is getting to be old hat now.

Meanwhile, when given a choice of engines, it is usually the smaller one with less hp which sells the most, whether you are talking Subaru, Impala or Mustang. Your GS is coming for those who might want both the Regal and extra punch. Until production gets underway in North America, 1700 imports a month selling at close to list is no less than a success. No need for name calling and characterizing the opinions of others as bleatings and such.
    1. I live in the US, dont know anything about Canadian pricing.

2. $27k isnt the price of a premium car in the US

3. The Camry, Accord, Altima and Mazda6 alll exceed $27k with options and none are considered luxury cars.

4. Regal's acceleration is on par with other $27k four cylinder sedans.
    The V8 is done in affordable sedans. Period. It will still be offered in coupes like Camaro and Mustang but there are FEW options left for those who want a V8 sedan for under $50k. The Chrysler cars will continue to offer the HEMI but that's about it.

DTS and Lucerne disappear after 2011 as will their V8 engine. Impala SS and its platform mates are gone. Ford is abandoning V8s except for Mustang and trucks.

Regal was never going to have 300hp and it doesnt need that kind of power to be successful.
    ".....Regal was never going to have 300hp and it doesnt need that kind of power to be successful. "

I agree on all points!!!

But boy, a 300+ hp Regal GSX would sure make my short Christmas list. :shades:
    All this V8 talk causes me to reflect back on my first car. A 1973 Buick Regal with a 350 V8 and 4-barrel carb. It was a pretty good car and was considered "sporty" at the time. I believe I got it for $1600 when it was 7 years old in 1980.

It was the single exhaust version which limited the engine to 150HP. I usually got around 16-17mpg as I recall. It had decent power for that era and I'd guess the 0-60 time was just a tad over 10 seconds. Plenty fast but no rocket by any means at 3800lbs dry weight.

Today's base engine can easily average 25-26mpg while putting out 182HP and delivering a 0-60 time just over 9 seconds. A side note: I once owned a Mercury Lynx with a 65HP engine and a 13 second 0-60 sprint.