Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Buick Regal

191011121315»

Comments

• buick67buick67 Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2012 Regal that is full of Manufacturing Defects. It is Redtint coat and the paint does match across the car. The carpet is defective in that it was not molded properly. Also the heat shield and insulation under the hood is falling off.

I do not understand how a car leaves a factory when the paint on the bumpers and the rest of the car do not match. How does a car leave the factory when the drivers side carpet hits your leg as a driver?

This is my first GM car and am blown away at the Manufacturing defects. From What I have experienced there must be little time spent on Quality Assurance at GM Plants. I brought the car back to the dealer and they said they would re-paint my car. Have you ever heard of having a brand new car re-painted?

I've since gone to multiple dealerships and seen the same defect in those Redtint cars. My problem is not a one off but a systemic issue

Does GM live in Fantasy Land? I have bought 10 new cars in my lifetime and never seen or heard of anything like this. My family warned me about the terrible quality of General Motors cars - but I thought maybe they got better.

It is my experience that General Motors and Buick do not care about their reputation or their customers. If they did I would not be involved in this Quality Nightmare
  • jimpeddycordjimpeddycord Member Posts: 16
    An update - the dealer ordered a complete new sunroof assembly for my car, plus a new shade because the rubbing had worn the original one. I'll post an update next week after the work is done.
    Sorry, but I don't expect a near $30,000 car to have " little more noise from the sunroof with the shade open" and mine is really loud - just like the reviewer. Hopefully the new one will resolve the situation.
    I have had a 2002 Chrysler Sebring, a 2004 Jeep Liberty, a 2006 Pontiac G6, a 2005 GMC Envoy, and a 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha all with sunroofs before my current two cars and none of them had anywhere near this amount of noise from the sunroof.
    Now I have 2 GM cars with sunroof issues and I am hoping I can get one of them fixed. The other one is a design flaw with the Cadillac SRX that will never get resolved until I get rid of it.
    Jim
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We apologize that this was the situation with your new Regal, buick67. Have you spoken with Customer Assistance already on this? If you would like to, we could look into this further. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with further information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • buick67buick67 Member Posts: 4
    As I mentioned in my post, I brought the car back to the dealer and they contacted GM. The GM Representative for my area said they would pay to re-paint my car.

As I also mentioned re-painting a brand new car is not an option as that is not what I paid for.

The dealer tried to fix the defective carpet but can only do so much as it is not cut properly. They removed some of the padding and tried to tie the carpet to the vehicle structure keep it from hitting my leg. This is absurd. The solution there is to remove the seats and other interior trim to replace the carpet. Pulling apart the whole interior of a brand new car is not an option on as that is not what I paid for.

How did this car leave the factory? Who is looking at these cars for factory defects?

How did any of this become the problem of the customer?
    The dealer replaced the entire assembly and the shade. While they had the car, they gave me a 2013 Verano to drive. The Verano was very much quieter than the regal. no wind noise from the sun roof (or anywhere else) at all.
    The new sunroof seems to have cut the noise down. Not completely, but it is acceptable.
    Of course, it could be that I am not going fast enough to cause the noise, because I was ticketed for 83 in a 55 and am on "Infraction Deferral Program" until October 2013, so I need to drive slower to avoid another ticket until then.
    At that point I'll only have 4 months left with the car so I will stop complaining about the noise now.
    :)
  • jrenaepjrenaep Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Buick Regal -- nothing but problems!! After two months of owning it -- my car had went into a shaking attack at the gas pump and did it even after my car was shut off. Took it in and the dealership had it for about a week and replace the whole electrical system. Got it back and went to fill up and it did it again!! Turned around and took it right back -- then found out my gas tank wasn't sealed properly.
    Car has always had funny noises --- have taken it in constanly and all they tell me is my oil needs changed. So they keep changing it.
    Now my car has an error message of - StabiliTrak -- Engine Power Reduced -- then my car just shuts off. They say its my throttle body. Got a second opinion and nothing. My car did it again only this time i was on a hill and had no control over my car! Luckily no accident and my car will turn on but as soon as i put it into drive -- it dies. Seeking legal representation since Buick has done nothing for me -- and says nothing is convered under my warrently. Will never buy a Buick again!!!
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    With a four year bumper to bumper warranty how could any of this NOT be covered by warranty? Is there a lot more to this story?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    That was his first and only post on the site. Always wonder about those sort of things.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jrenaepjrenaep Member Posts: 2
    I travel with my job and with the travel miles do accumulate. I was just over my bumper to bumper miles warranty. Trying to work with my dealership -- but getting no where. The thing that irks me is that I have had to take my car in so many times and told them what is going on -- before my warranty ran out -- and they never found anything. Now i'm dealing with this and can get my car moved -- still keeps shutting off on my and i'm about 45miles from my dealership. its annoying.
    Trust me i have talked to many people to see if they have the same problems. these problems have occured w/different brands -- just not a regal. So i'm unsure if I just happen to get a lemon or what
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A lot of people with vehicle issues find these forums by Googling the make/model and a keyword about the problem(s) they're having. It's not suspicious at all - it's how we get a majority of new traffic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    You have over 50,000 miles on your 2011 Regal? Buick's warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles bumper-to-bumper and 5 years/100,000 miles on the powertrain.

Engine shut off is a powertrain issue and should be covered up to 100,000 miles. Contact Buick directly with this info: Buick Contacts
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    edited December 2012
    The powertrain warranty has numerous exclusions. Per Buick, as it relates to the 100K mile engine warranty: "Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming."

A StabiliTrak issue would be covered under the 4yr bumper to bumper, but would not be covered under the extended powertrain warranty.

Interestingly, starting with the 2013 model year the Buick powertrain warranty changed from 5yr/100K miles to a new 6yr/70K mile warranty. So they added a year to the powertrain warranty, but reduced the mileage by 30K miles. This is a significant change.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Buick buyers tend to be older drivers(I did not say old, please note) that probably don't drive high miles so the most only have 40-70k miles anyway in 6 years. Most warranties are based on 12k per year so the 6/70 is about right. I'm getting of the mind to buy a car with a 4yr bumper to bumper and trade every 4 years. Take a little hit on depreciaton but drive a new car every 4 years and never, ever have to worry about large repair bills. Kind of like leasing I guess but doesn't seem like many people lease for 4 years nor do the auto companies push it. Don't know why exactly. Maybe they want that year of manufactures warranty left so they can sell certified or something.

Does anyone have a good answer as to why you never really hear of 4yr leases or is it just prohibitive from a financial standpoint? Seems like they are all 2yr, 30mos, or 3 yrs.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The person said they were "stranded" in their 2011 Regal. The car would not run. They can use Buick's Buick 5-year/100,000-mile 24/7 Roadside Assistance and the 5-year/100,000-mile Courtesy Transportation warranties.

You might have to do some arm twisting to get the powertrain warranty to cover repairs if the car is past 50,000 miles already, but have a strong case to argue.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    I remember 4 year leases several years ago, even 5 year leases. It was in response to rising car prices, to get people into vehicles they couldn't afford otherwise. Those all went away about the same time, I think it was when trade-in values tanked and the lenders lost a lot of money.
  • vo1vo1 Member Posts: 3
    Ive had a 2012 Regal with eassist for 10 months and there have been a few problems, but all have been resolved. Most recent issue was failure of sunroof which Ive NEVER had happen on my previous 3 cars with a sunroof. It was fixed in a few hours after they ordered the part.

My main concern is MILEAGE. I don't expect to get EPA mileage on this car or any car for that matter but the discrepancy is the largest I've ever seen on any vehicle I've owned. So few people seem to have the Regal (or Lacrosse) with eassist that I don't know where to find good data from other owners but I am under 20mpg consistently. I have achieved 34-36mpg on the highway which matches the sticker, but in the city I typically can't crack 18mpg. Does anyone else out there have a regal with Eassist?
    I saw a lot of complaints about dealer service from others and I have to say that has NOT been my experience at all. I do not like going in for warranty repairs but the repairs Ive had thus far were handled without any difficulty and the dealer has always called or sent notification when a part came in the mail. Ive also gotten follow up calls to see if I was satisfied with the service. I also fill out the online surveys most of the time. I do wonder if some of the people who have been so dissatisfied with poor experiences at their dealers detailed all of this in the GM survey. My experience has been they take the grading by GM pretty seriously.

Anyway, now I'm hoping I can go at least a 6 months before needing another warranty visit.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Have you ever visited www.fueleconomy.gov vo1.? Their section, "Gas Mileage Tips" may be helpful. If we can ever look into anything regarding warranty, recall, or dealership questions for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am aware of the general tips and I know "your mileage will vary" is part of the EPA's motto but the discrepancy is huge. I'm not sure if the problem lies with the EPA testing or how GM rated the car but I will say it's likely impossible to achieve the EPA city rating and I would be happy to even get within 3-4mpg of the city rating. Instead I'm hovering around 17-18mpg in the city. I may mention this the next time I take the car in for routine service but I doubt anything will be done- probably because there is nothing wrong with the car.
    vo1,

When are you visiting? This isn't to rush you or anything - just wanting to make sure you're taken care of. If you wanted for us to check into your dealerships findings, let us know! We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, the last 8 of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • richard_prichard_p Member Posts: 1
    Was there any resolution to this, My regal does the same thing about the hesitation. It is quite scary at times to cross lanes. Just wonder if the transmission is going to kick in or not.
  • dgmelpdgmelp Member Posts: 3
    No resolution at all. We've learned to live with it - the dealer actually explained us that the transmission on the 2011 Regals (and later years I assume) are designed to respond in this manner to assist the car in getting the fuel mileage numbers it gets.....

So, when backing out of our driveway, we make sure we have enough clear time to give the car time to get itself into gear..a little hair raising..but we've found nobody willing to say its not operating normally. The other issues with the lag on the transmission are negligible...we've learned to ignore them - the backing out and delay in shifting into drive is something we've not understood....but we've pretty much given up.

The dealer also went on to say they couldn't tear into the transmission unless it was leaving a "code" that said there was a problem - and that if I were to drive any other GM platforms with the same drive-train, I'd experience the same issue.

We did subsequently buy a Chevy Volt....what a wonderful experience compared to the Regal....no gasoline...and a better built car! And...no shifting issues at all (of course with an electric motor, you don't need a transmission to shift into a lower gear to get torque)....so, we switched cars and use the Volt as our main source of transportation and the Regal sits in our driveway most of the time and is only used if we need to carry more people than will fit in the Volt.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    I know this is where Regal owners go to post problems; but to balance that, My '11 turbo 2.0L (Russelsheim) Regal has had no problems, and I get slightly better-than-sticker MPG. Got it at the end of the "big" rebates, and overall I am happy with it.

2011 Buick Regal gone. 2014 GMC Terrain AWD with 6 cyl. in it's place. Talk about a boost in power!

@jimpeddycord said:
    2011 Buick Regal gone. 2014 GMC Terrain AWD with 6 cyl. in it's place. Talk about a boost in power!

Hello jimpeddycordy,

Congrats on your 2014 GMC Terrain! We're glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Safe travels,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

@whoosierdaddy said:
    I know this is where Regal owners go to post problems; but to balance that, My '11 turbo 2.0L (Russelsheim) Regal has had no problems, and I get slightly better-than-sticker MPG. Got it at the end of the "big" rebates, and overall I am happy with it.

Hello whoosierdaddy,

Thanks for your positive review! We are glad to hear you are loving your 2011 Buick Regal!

Regards,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care