Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage died while driving at 60mph

gavinkellygavinkelly Member Posts: 1
Today on Briley Parkway, the kia's engine died. Came to a complete stop on the off-ramp. I opened the hood, checked the oil. Its good, not low, Checked the resivor for the radiator, it was full, opened the radiator cap ( after it kinda cooled down ) All belts are on, can't see the timing belt cause its covered. One thing I did notice before it died. I had steam coming in from the vents inside the cab. The gas preasure started to decrease. Once I came to a complete stop, I pop'd the hood, steam was coming from the engine. I didn't see any bubbling to show signs of a busted head. I'm not sure what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• chris406chris406 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Kia Sportage with just over 60,000miles. Love the car. In the last few weeks is has started surging while at a stop then when accelerating it seems like it is stuck in 1st gear and wants to romp down the road. Like driving a stick shift the first time and car is lunging or romping down the street at 10-20MPH wanting you to shift gears. Once it shifts to second is smoothes out. Could this be the crankshaft sensor I have read about? Checked fluid levels, it's fine. Help in San Anotnio.
  • hellodadhellodad Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem and after 3 weeks of troubleshooting, it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. It is located on the passenger side inside the engine compartment in the fuse box. Hope this helps.
  • tinaakamomtinaakamom Member Posts: 1
    WE JUST PURCHASED OUR FIRST KIA 05 V6 SPORTAGE ..WITHOUT AN OWNERS MANUAL...SO I'M WONDERING WHAT IS THE + AND - SIGN ON THE SHIFTER FOR ..I AM PLANING ON GOING TO A DEALER AND PICKING UP A BOOK .BUT WAS JUST WANTING TO KNOW IN THE MEAN TIME WHAT THIS WAS FOR ,,THANK YOU ...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2012
    You should be able to download an '05 and newer Kia manual.

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online

If you want a hard copy, try an auto salvage yard first. Should be cheaper if they happen to have one.