Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

14567810»

Comments

• cirquocirquo Member Posts: 7
    I am not aware of any 2012 model water leak issue. That doesn't mean there isn't one. You would hope by the 4th generation model they have worked those kinks out. If you are buying new or used, see if you can purchase CPO (certified pre-owned ) warranty, which is extended warranty coverage beyond the manufacturer, no matter how much it costs, $750 or $1,000. It covers just about everything besides wear and tear (brakes). I have a CPO 07' model. It is a good looking vehicle and feels good driving.
  • vahid1vahid1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 Q7, since 3 months ago i have faced with a realy strange situation. in the morning after 5 min perfect drive, the car shocked for one to two times. i mean when i was driving ( speed 70-90 km/h) it seems someone push brake for 1 second and leave it.if i drive with very low speed in that particular moment ( like in trafic jam) car turned off. it happened one time a day. when i sent car to service center they changed feul pump, checked electronice and ECU and.... but not usefule, so i came back again to them and this time they asked me to change gearbox!!! i can not belive because in my mind if it is a seroius problem it must happen more frequently not 2-3 shocks a day only when the car is cold. any comments will be admired.
  • ottawarealtorottawarealtor Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

have you decided to purchase the Q7 I ham having the same dilemma and have started to look at the grand Cherokee as an alternate but also see mixed reviews and issues, although they sell much more of these as they are in a lower cost bracket, they seem to have a many issues.

I have seen a few on car guru and prices are much more reasonable in the U.S
  • ottawarealtorottawarealtor Member Posts: 2
    We are thinking of purchasing an Audi Q7 but see much related issues with leaking and MMI issues.

We have owned a 2003 jetta tdi and now a 2005 passant wagon tdi and have had very little issues, except the transmission acting up as well as dash board computer, after finding out had the computer connections under the front passenger's feet were corroding. (odd place to put a computer). Repaired wires and now have just under 300,000 kilometers and still running strong.

Would like anyone's experiences with the newer models.

Thanks.
  • cirquocirquo Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2007 Q7 about two years ago. Definitely purchase any year 2008 (the minimum year for CPO now) and up as a CPO, certified pre owned, if you are buying pre owned, no matter how much, 750 US dollars and up is worth it for the extended manufacturers warranty of an additional 2 years plus services. If able to buy a third party comprehensive Zurich warranty, that is another option, although pricey, in essence buying what you may pay ahead of time. The car has great looks, you stand apart from the normal cars on the road, but had some issues, non were MMI, I had the interior leaks from a clogged AC tube and windshield cowel that was covered under the CPO and didn't get to the MMI behind the dash. I also had that oil pressure issue where the pump wouldn't do it's thing upon start up, but was replaced under CPO, which was particular to 2007 year which was first production year. I'd get a 2008 or higher, although the 2008 I've read has tail lites burning out a lot but not anything serious. Buy from an Audi dealer that also provides Audi service. V6 which I have, is adequate and pretty good on gas, the V8 I would imagine is quicker from a take off standpoint and not as great at the pump. The new Infiniti JX has copied everything from Audi's Q7. We also had a 1997 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2006 Passat. Good luck and you will be happy. Chrysler/Jeep has many odd issues from cars shutting down on the road to other electrical issues. They haven't mastered the Mercedes technology they acquired when under that ownership and Fiat has their own intentions with Chrysler distribution as help.
  • edw899edw899 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2012 Audi Q7 TDI on 8/8 and the check engine light was on after little over one week drive. I sent it back to dealer to check, and they said there was EGR system problem, and took 3 days to replace a vault. I just about to pick it up the next day, they called me said the other vault was bad, the code was set to the computer the light was on again. They ordered the vault and will take 5 days to ship from Germen. It was 417 miles when I sent in the car, now it is 465 miles sfter they test drive, and they said at least 20 more mile will be added to it. My car is still in the service. Dose any one know will this car be a lemon car. Can I return it?
  • besterfieldbesterfield Member Posts: 1
    I really hope you can help. I also have a 3.6 with the same problem. Was your problem solved and what did you do to fix it?
  • delgendelgen Member Posts: 1
    If I could be honest mike,

They probably don't care if you have purchased 100 Audi's. They'll treat you like most any customers these days. First off, if you don't want to shell out allot of money and put up with dumbfounded answers to problems, you have to be willing to put in a little time and effort to learn how most of these modern day cars function with the thousands of electronic devices buttoned up inside of them these days....How was that for a run on sentence. I invested in a quality repair manual, quality tools, web-forums, and a Ross tech device to talk to the computer in these beasts. You would be amazed at what they tell you!!!! In my case, my 07 q7 had the same situation, and it turns out that there's quite a few actuators that open ducting and adjust various ventilation paths underneath that dashboard. The interface told me what actuator was malfunction and I referred to the detailed repair manual for location and how to remove it. After a little lube and adjustment, the heating problem was corrected. If you don't have the patience and time to dig into these things, I'm afraid that we are all left to succumb to the hefty dealership charges for all cars these days. I was told once, hey buddy you bought an Audi, so you should be able to absorb these costs. I'm not rich, but I do like German Engineering (But you shouldn't be forced to pay for there upkeep) Good luck on whatever decision you make on spending your time an money, but I know how I like to invest mine!!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • hjs3hjs3 Member Posts: 3
    My spouse is interested in getting the Q7. But there are WAY too many posts under "maintenance".
    There must be a real relibility issue with this model
    please respond.
  • sbornosborno Member Posts: 9
    Well, most of the reliability issues are from the older models. I think everything has been worked out. 2010 and newer, especially 2011s have much better reliability, and better engine/transmission.

I'm in a similar situation. We need to replace my wife's 04 Sienna, it's been great, but at 155K, its kinda time. Plus both my kids have driven it the first six months of having their lisences.

We are considering either the new MDX, due at the end of May, or a 11 or 12 used Q7. I've been an Audi guy for years, and even though some don't age well, We love our Audi's I dont think we'll see a redesign for at least a year or two, cause Audi is building a new factory in Mexico, and will wait until it's up and running, before a new Q7 comes.

The new MDX would be great for the wife, but I hate buyin new cars. That being said, we bought her sienna new cause it was the perfect vehicle for our family, and was only available new. The MDX maybe the same situation, but kills me to pay sticker, when I can get a 12-18 month old Q7 for 20-25% of the original MSRP.

Also, the MDX will not have a pano roof like the audi, I really like the pano...
    So, I'm on the fence, and will probably wait until may to drive the new MDX.

Just another car nuts dilemma, any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!!
  • aagyemanaagyeman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Q7 and just spent $4000.00 on some Electrical problem connected to the transmission. The car just stopped working and has been at the shop for a week now at the Audi dealership in Des Moines. I can't wait to get rid of this LEMON! I also own a nissan (1997) that I have not spent more than 4k on for routine work, let alone transmission. When I called the dealer and Audi Customer Care, they both gave me the run around. I AM DONE WITH AUDI and will be happy to get even 1 person to not buy an audi....It was fun trying. Yes, thousands of dollars fun.
  • jperks74jperks74 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used Q7 back in late March. The car had 67,000 miles on it but appeared to be very good condition overall. When we bought it from the dealership, we noticed the tires were a little worn so we asked how long they would last. They said, "At least a year."

I just brought the car in for service. I've now owned it for 5 months and I've put about 4500 miles on it. They told me I need 4 new tires, new brake pads and a new battery. Totally price: $2700. I feel like I just bought the car and I really haven't put many miles on it. And we don't drive it hard. It's mostly used for taking the kids to school and driving around town.

I would have expected this if I had bought the car from a private seller or a less reputable dealer. But, I bought it from a Nalley dealership. So, I thought they do a better job reconditioning the vehicle before the sale.

I talked to the Sales Manager and the Service Manager and they want to try to make it right. But, they're not going to do the service for free. They offered 20% off.

Any thoughts here? Thanks for your help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think I've ever purchased tires from a dealer. Nothing wrong with shopping around for parts and service.

It's a good idea and cheap insurance to get an independent mechanic to check out any used car you are thinking of buying.

Feel free to write up a review here too:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews.
  • jeffrossjeffross Member Posts: 1
    I too bought an Audi Q7 this year and am glad I bought a Certified Pre-owned. I have had ESP failure, two fuel pump failures and a blower motor failure in 10 months which would of cot me $5000 to repair but was handled free of charge while I got to drive around in a loaner 2013 Audi A8.

The tires and brakes wear quickly on the Q7 since they are sport tires. My tires have 25,000 miles on them and need to be replaced at a cost of $1700 a set.

I spent $40000 for a 2009 Q7 TDI and wish that I had spent that $40000 on a new Acura MDX. However, now that my wife has driven the Audi for 10 months she doesn't care what the cost is to keep it because she loves it too much to give up. I do like that this big SUV can still corner and accelerate like a sports car and still get 25 MPG.
  • dbrsrdbrsr Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    You folks tickle the crap out of me...you buy a $70k vehicle and then have the Nerve to compare it to a Mazda and Acura? You're kidding me, right? NO comparison...I have a 2007 Q7 3.6 Premium and a 2009 S5 4.2L...by FAR the best two cars I have ever owned, Including MB, Lexus (junk), BMW (not impressed), Honda, Nissan, Cadillac, Lincoln, Jag, etc...the only car that comes close is a Porsche Boxster (awesome)....

They WARN you that "liquid will short out the MMI" and you are DUMB enough to take the chance?...what you didn't believe them?...I covered my MMI on Both my Audi's from day One and have had ZERO problems with them...DUH!! It's NOT Audi's fault your clumsy a** spills your coffee in it...put a D*** top on it or leave the crap at home...how many keyboards has Microsoft replaced for you?

Love my two Audi's and plan to buy more in the future...prob a R8 V10 and an A8 W12....

\dbr
  • babymommiebabymommie Member Posts: 1

I am having some electrical problems with my MMI board in 2007 Q7. Radio, Nav, liftgate not working and now remote key is not working and something keeps draining battery. Anyone else had this problem. Mechanic is telling me to get new key. But from what I'm reading, sounds like I need a new board....Help!

• gnw27gnw27 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2011 Q7 which I bought new. The truck drives nice and the interior features are great. I have not been impressed with it mechanically however. About 2 months ago, my husband noticed that my brake lights weren't working. When he took it to the local mechanic, he said they were fine. A couple weeks later, same thing. A google search revealed that it was probably the sensor on the lift gate. It was. $500.00 to the dealership later and the problem was solved. This weekend (90 plus degrees in NJ) my air conditioning stopped working. Took it to the dealership this morning.....the blower motor is shot. $1005.00 later and that can be fixed too. Really Audi. You should be making better cars for what I paid. Never had any mechanical problems with my Mercedes, Porsche or BMW. This will be my last Audi. (Also, word of caution, the tires wear quickly and are expensive to replace. The brakes also wear quickly because the truck is so heavy but I knew about those two issues before I bought the truck).