Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Envoy Denali XL Gas Gauge and Oil Pump Problems

Comments

• Hello again,

Thank you for your patience. I have a few questions: Have you already begun legal proceedings? And did you speak with a dealership on this or with Customer Assistance?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mherron1mherron1 Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I am also having most of the same issues with my 2006 Envoy Denali. I already had the fuel sensor issue and it has been replaced. Now it is happening with the oil pressure. The gauge is peaked at the highest pressure and the check engine light is on. Mechanic says it is a common issue with the car. It has always stuttered (or bucked) at a stop light or stop sign as a previous poster mentioned. I also had to replace the throttle body last december at my cost.
    The load leveling system went out (which also causes the tire pump in the back not to work) so that got replaced (under warranty) but it now has a slow leak in it and will have to be replaced again. I really love this car, it's my second envoy. I bought GMC because of the quality. My husband also owns a 2007 GMC Envoy. But I am very disappointed in all the issues it has had. I also have a whirring noise when I press on the gas, that repair is a $350.00 repair. Our 2007 just had the same thing replaced at 45,000 miles. There are issues with this car get that are not related to how well you care for it and GM needs to do the right thing and help to take care of the issues. I am going to be looking for a new car in the next year (if this one holds up that long) and after driving GM cars all my life I am seriously considering changing. :cry:
  • I'm sorry to hear about the multiple concerns that have arisen with your Denali. If you would like to work with Customer Assistance, please email us your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your involved dealership, and more information about the trips you've made to the dealer to address your current concern.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah,

I have not spoke to a Dealership nor customer Assistance. I was only told that they were not covering by the mechanic that fixed my truck. He is the one that recieved the phone call that I was denied. I was going to begin Legal proceedings on Friday.

CM
  • How do I email you my info?
  • To email me information, please click on my username here on Edmunds.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I don’t have oil pump problems.

I have fuel sender unit problems. I have an xl denali, which I believe has fuel pump and sending unit combined. To pull the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump/sending unit will be around $1000 at dealer. A friend of mine says he will do it for around $700.

At present, when I fill the tank, the guage flips back and forth, and the lo-fuel light flips on when the guage hits empty, then a minute later, it flips to full, and the ‘checkengine’ light is on. When the tank hits 7/8 full, the checkengine light goes off, and the guage work fine. Then, when it hits halfful, the checkengine light goes back on. Don’t remember if the guage flips back and forth on the bottom half of the tank, but I think not.

Anyway, presume the flipping guage has a bad impact on something, like melting a computer somewhere in the denali, so I presume I need to replace the fuel pump/sending unit.

Last year the a/c pipe in the rear broke, and it cost me $700 to fix. Probably $2 for the repaired a/c tube, and $698 to pull the fuel tank. That was a year and half ago, so I can’t [non-permissible content removed] to the dealer that fixed it.

I have not dealt with a GMC dealer. The company that did the a/c prev was a Pontiac dealer, now does used cars. Still has the Pontiac mechanics.

This time, am having a friend do it, who runs a repair shop in town.

I can look up the vin, but the large [non-permissible content removed] I have is that the denali will have endless problems, a thou here and a thou there. we bought it used three years ago, because of the terrific ride, the air suspension, and over 3tons, rides like the livingroom couch. The mileage is around 14-15, driving easy. I have an enclosed haulmark trailer, and with 300hp, hauling a loaded trailer is not noticeable, except for leaning towards gas stations when driving by. Beautiful ride, with those adjustable seats, I can drive for several hours and not be cramped up, no headache, no ringing in my ears from engine/road noise.
  • TDOUG... I understand your frustrations. I too own a 2006 Envoy XL Denali with 63,000 miles. Reading your comments regarding your the problems you have been experiencing makes me think you were speaking on my behalf. This truck have cost me alot of money in the past year. First the gas gauge went bonkers..cost $440. The stabilitrack kept shutting off last winter...$1000...Less than a year later this problem has returned today. Last month I had to replace the rear shock airbags. They had a leak causing the rear suspension to drop....cost $1200. All of these repairs were made by a dealer. I'm going to mention the smaller problems. Do any one know if there a recall for the stabilitrack issues? I'm going to call the dealer on Monday. Hopefully there is a guarantee on their work that was done less than a year ago. I simply can not afford to keep paying for these repairs. I am considering a Honda Pilot.
  • I purchased my 2006 Envoy Denali XL in 2009 with 45,000 miles in March 2009. I now have 63,000 miles. Since my purchase I paid $420 to repair for issue #1 -Fuel Sensor: I couldn't tell what was my gas level. Of course I got caught with an empty gas tank and the car shut off in the middle of the street . Issue #2- Cost $1,100- Rear suspension air bags- At first the rear of the car would drop down when it was parked but it would pump back up after turning on the car. Then it started dropping down while I was driving. This would cause the car to hit bumps hard and the car would bounce. Issue #3- Cost over $1000- The throttle body went bad. This caused the stabilitrack to shut down which slows down the exceleration. This issue was a big inconvenience. Today my engine light came on and the stabilitrack shut down again as I was driving. This was problem was fixed less than a year ago. No way this should be the same problem. If so, I'm hoping the dealer will take responsibility and repair it at no cost to me. Theres no way lightening should strike twice. Another issue I am having is...When sitting still at a light with my foot on the brake the car has a hard bumping/ pulling feeling. It feels like I was rear ended. The dealer said it I needed a fuel injection cleaning. Which I have have at least 3x's along with using fuel injection cleaner occasionally, I'm still experiencing the same "bang in the back" feeling. I love my vehicle. However, these problems are too costly for me. I am seriously considering to trade it for a vehicle that is well known for having less issues such as a Honda Pilot.
  • Mrs1781,

I appreciate the lengths you have gone to in order to make these vehicle repairs that you detailed in your post. Am I correct in that all of these have been done at your servicing dealership? Have you been in contact with your dealership since your most recent post?

If you aren't doing so already, I would like to offer to set up a case for you through Customer Assistance. This will allow for us to investigate your situation and to interact with you and the dealership as we seek to get your current concern(s) resolved (I see that your Stabilitrak has shut down and that you are experiencing what you called a "bumping/pulling" feeling). If this interests you, please include the following information in an email to the address on my profile here: your name/user name and contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your involved dealership, and a description of the visits you've made to address your current concerns. I appreciate your willingness to continue working with us.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Wow!

I just “stumbled” onto this Edmunds forum while researching the rear load leveling suspension problems I started having a few months ago.

This sounds like one of MANY chronic problems associated with GMC Envoys over several years and models (i.e., 2004, 2005, 2006, XL, XUV, Denali, etc.).

I have a 2005 Envoy XUV SLT that I bought new in July 2005. It now has approximately 79,000 miles. I’ve done all of the required maintenance and repairs through the GMC dealership. The fuel sensing unit had to be replaced a few years ago. Fortunately, it was when the vehicle was under full warranty so, I didn’t incur a repair cost. I’ve too have experienced “poor quality” issues posted by several others such as labels peeling off of knobs/buttons. I had to replace the rear gate window regulator after it went out on its own.

A few months ago, I noticed the vehicle’s rear periodically lowering after being parked. It would rise to the normal level shortly after being started so, I didn’t think anything of it. But I’ve noticed the rear lowering happening more frequently. Based on what I’m reading in these posts, my concern level has jumped considerably because it appears others have had the vehicle lower while driving! I have 22”rims on mine and there’s basically NO clearance betweens the tire sides and wheel wells when it’s in the lowered position so, this could be catastrophic!

I know the vehicle has an air compressor in the rear compartment area that can be used for inflating tires, balls, etc.
    1. Does anyone know if this is tied into or related to the auto load leveling suspension system?
    2. In addition to the air bags and a sensor, is there also a compressor that can go bad?

I’m also extremely disappointed with the “ton” of poor quality and design issues that simply should not be happening at such low mileage levels! Perhaps this is why they were discontinued!

Oh, I almost forgot…
    My engine service light is now on and according to the OnStar diagnostics, it’s due to a defective heated oxygen sensor! I won’t even go into the really poor gas mileage I’m getting…!
  • I also am have several issues with my 20006 Denali. First the shocks for the rear door failed and I had to replace both of them and now my stablitrac shocks have gone out and I am also experience the oil pump problem causing the check engine light to go on and my oil pressure gauge to max out
  • I understand your concern in regards to your description of your vehicle "lowering". I don't have the technical information available myself, but if you were to send us an email with your VIN and your questions about the air compressor(s), we could ask our Technical Assistance Center. It is possible that they will recommend a visit to your servicing dealership for a diagnosis, as we prefer to not diagnose vehicle concerns over the internet.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am sorry to hear about the concerns that have arisen with your Envoy. Are you planning on working with your dealership on this? Please keep us updated on your plan of action, and we will assist as we can!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • It's nice to know I'm not the only one having a problem with their gas gauge jumping up and down. I travel to work at night and recently have been having problems with this. Imagine, 11pm cruising along, alone, and the needle shoots to empty and the light comes on and pure terror kicks in!!! A full tank of gas(so I think?) and it's telling me I'm empty, then it shoots up to half and back blah, blah, blah... NOW, I have to worry about being stranded in the middle of the road at night, in the middle of winter!! I love my 2005 GM Envoy, but this cost will put me ovet the edge!! Help!! Whom or what do I have to do, to get some resolve without having to sell a kidney. I see the NHTSA is investigating this, why are most GM owners in the dark, until it's too late? :cry:
  • One option available is to establish a Customer Assistance Case with us, where we could investigate your situation and explore the options available to you in addressing this concern. If this sounds like something you would like to pursue, please get in contact with us via email with more information, including: your name/username and contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage on your Envoy, and the name of your preferred dealership.

I understand, especially after the holidays, that a visit to a dealership may not be an option. Our first step in the case will be to get your vehicle in for a diagnosis, which will involve a diagnostic fee, from which we can start to explore the options available.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tstanektstanek Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have had a similar problem with my 2006 GMC Envoy. Vehicle turns over for about 5 or 6 seconds after filling the tank and the fuel gauge jumps around for a while - then returns to normal after about an hour or so.

I called GMC and there is a special coverage which will pay 50% of the total costs for parts and labor. The special coverage number is #10054 (http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67262). It will cover the fuel gauge/sensor if your vehicle is less than 10 years old and under 120k miles.

Call 1-800-462-8782. Follow the promptings to talk a person. Tell them about your problem and have your VIN# ready to go. They will put you on hold, find a local GM dealer, and set up an appointment to get the problem diagnosed. This is as far as I am now. I'm hoping the price isn't ridiculous...

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the response! Are these issues part of any recall that you are aware of. It looks like this stabilitrac issue is extremely common and difficult to resolve as well as expensive. The oil pump to seems to be plague many people with both Envoy and Envoy XL models. It seems like these were manufacturing flaws or possibly a batch of bad parts. It seems like if this is not a factory recall it should be made into one. This is the fourth GMC vehicle I have owned GMC Suburban, GMC Jimmy, and GMC pick up truck. None of them have ever given me problmes like this truck and I do not have the money to make these repairs at this time
  • I understand that resources can be tight, especially after the holidays. If you were to email us your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN, we would be able to check your vehicle's information to see if there are any open recalls associated to it.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • timbo65timbo65 Posts: 22
    have a 2004 envoy that has gauge problems. started out if it rained or i hit a puddle , my speedo would go to 130 mph. and stay there till it dried out a few days later. now my speedo never works, and my oil pressue gauge goes juat as high as the needle can and will occasionally work normal for a day. all other gauges act normal... my mechanic has checked it and said "GMC are know for messed up gauge packages"..... which really bugs me because my truck is beautiful and have never given me any trouble !! if anyone can helpout with info, or why GMC wont do a recall and stand behind their products.
  • kawhikawhi Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I am to having the same problem I just paid my GMC Dec 2010 in full, I only have 43,000 miles on mine and I shouldn't have a problem with my GMC Envoy, I call the dealer today and ask why is there a reason that my fuel gauge is not working properly they told me that alot of the GMC Envoys are having issues with the fuel gauge and that it would cost me 6700 to get it fix, they are trying to take advantage of the situation right now, this should be a defective product and should be consider a recall, is their fault they built a car that would have many problems in the future and should not be any cost to fix this matter!! I take good care of my GMC and have really low milage and I bought this SUV in June of 2005. I read that the federal is investigating this matter, and if they are at fault that they would consider this problem as a recall. :mad:
    that is outraegeous !!! $6700. !!! i bought my '04 with 67,000 mi for twelve grand in '07 . pamper it. oil every 3000 miles etc. and can never know how fast i'm going, or if the oil pressure gauge will work. i really feel bad for you because it stinks to not know how much gas is in your car [been there before].. well just felt good to vent, wish you the best.....
  • tstanektstanek Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    This is a follow up to my original post.

I just got an estimate for the fuel gauge to be fixed. The total cost (pre-negotiated with GM I'm guessing) is $400 for parts and labor. I am responsible for $200. When I asked the service manager if he gets a lot of this same problem he smiled and said, "we get our fair share." Glad that GM is paying half - not happy that they have not issued a recall knowing how widespread the problem is. On top of that, if I would not have called GM about the problem, I would have never found out about the special coverage and would have been stuck with the whole bill. I'm wonder how many people have been stuck with the whole bill...

In addition to fuel gauge problem, this is a fuel injection pressure problem which will cost an additional $400. Will not be buying a GM for future vehicle purchases...
    thanks for your input TS, $200. i would'nt mind.. do know if they plan to replace the whole instrument cluster, or repair JUST fuel gauge ?? guess i better contact GM customer service [ is that who to call??] and try to get somewhere on this one too..

thanks for your sharing your side....
    best of luck..
  • I stumbled onto this site and let me tell you I am so glad I did! I to purchased a BRAND new 2006 ENVOY XL DENALI and have had some of the same issues you have all experienced.

The radio fading...I had that....and just thought it a fluke. My kids pointed it out to me.

The water pump! Yep some problem. Thankfully it was covered on my warrantly.

Today my issue with the oil gauge and check engine light that recently went on. I was told in regards to the oil...."Don't you know that you have to put oil in between oil changes?" Since when has this been the practice!! I have NEVER EVER heard this before. When I asked how is it that the oil drops down to nothing when I reach the 3,000 miles that was the response. They did not find a leak...but there has to be a reason.

Oh my mileage is at 63,574. As with the rest of you I take my car in for all routine repairs...after all "Don't you know you have to take care of your car!?" :)

They say the engine light was going on due to the throttle needing to be replaced. I may have read in another posting this being an issue.

I'm with you tdoug38 - What next? I also agree loyality and good products go hand in hand. BMW is the car I am thinking of next. Each of these repairs add up real fast.

Disappointed.
  • Kawhi,

We are available for assistance. If you are interested, we can set up a Service Request to investigate your vehicle concern and situation to see what options are available in resolving this. Please send us an email with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina will assist you through the next steps of the process.

In the meantime, I will be sure to add additional documentation on this thread (as it continues to grow) for GM's consideration.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am sorry that you have had a less than satisfactory experience.

In regards to your current concerns, it is recommended in the owner's manual of your vehicle to check the oil level each time you fuel up to ensure that the oil level is within the operating range. Still, if we can follow up with your dealership, or if you would like to open a Service Request, please email us more information (name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership to start).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • It's great to get an update, and am glad to hear that you are receiving assistance in this matter. If we can ever be of service to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via email or on the forum.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I filled the tank of my 06 Envoy yesterday, and when I restarted the vehicle, the gas gauge immediately went to empty with the warning light. Before leaving the station, I shut off and restarted the vehicle (rebooted) but the same issue happened. I drove about 10 minutes and it went to half full.
    Hoping that it would reset overnight, the gauge did the same thing this morning. HELP!
  • in my case, the check-engine light also came on, and if you have onstar, they say it is the fueltank sending unit. i have an xl denali, and in my case the sending unit, on top of the tank, is part of the fuel pump, and both need replacing at same time, probably a $1000 at the dealers. in new york state, unlikely to pass inspection with check-engine warning, if you can tolerate having no fuel guage. i set 'tripB' to run 250 miles [25gal tank] and then refill.