Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Denali XL Gas Gauge and Oil Pump Problems

Comments

• kawhikawhi Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I am to having the same problem I just paid my GMC Dec 2010 in full, I only have 43,000 miles on mine and I shouldn't have a problem with my GMC Envoy, I call the dealer today and ask why is there a reason that my fuel gauge is not working properly they told me that alot of the GMC Envoys are having issues with the fuel gauge and that it would cost me 6700 to get it fix, they are trying to take advantage of the situation right now, this should be a defective product and should be consider a recall, is their fault they built a car that would have many problems in the future and should not be any cost to fix this matter!! I take good care of my GMC and have really low milage and I bought this SUV in June of 2005. I read that the federal is investigating this matter, and if they are at fault that they would consider this problem as a recall. :mad:
  • timbo65timbo65 Member Posts: 22
    that is outraegeous !!! $6700. !!! i bought my '04 with 67,000 mi for twelve grand in '07 . pamper it. oil every 3000 miles etc. and can never know how fast i'm going, or if the oil pressure gauge will work. i really feel bad for you because it stinks to not know how much gas is in your car [been there before].. well just felt good to vent, wish you the best.....
  • tstanektstanek Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    This is a follow up to my original post.

I just got an estimate for the fuel gauge to be fixed. The total cost (pre-negotiated with GM I'm guessing) is $400 for parts and labor. I am responsible for $200. When I asked the service manager if he gets a lot of this same problem he smiled and said, "we get our fair share." Glad that GM is paying half - not happy that they have not issued a recall knowing how widespread the problem is. On top of that, if I would not have called GM about the problem, I would have never found out about the special coverage and would have been stuck with the whole bill. I'm wonder how many people have been stuck with the whole bill...

In addition to fuel gauge problem, this is a fuel injection pressure problem which will cost an additional $400. Will not be buying a GM for future vehicle purchases...
    thanks for your input TS, $200. i would'nt mind.. do know if they plan to replace the whole instrument cluster, or repair JUST fuel gauge ?? guess i better contact GM customer service [ is that who to call??] and try to get somewhere on this one too..

thanks for your sharing your side....
    best of luck..
  • envoy06envoy06 Member Posts: 1
    I stumbled onto this site and let me tell you I am so glad I did! I to purchased a BRAND new 2006 ENVOY XL DENALI and have had some of the same issues you have all experienced.

The radio fading...I had that....and just thought it a fluke. My kids pointed it out to me.

The water pump! Yep some problem. Thankfully it was covered on my warrantly.

Today my issue with the oil gauge and check engine light that recently went on. I was told in regards to the oil...."Don't you know that you have to put oil in between oil changes?" Since when has this been the practice!! I have NEVER EVER heard this before. When I asked how is it that the oil drops down to nothing when I reach the 3,000 miles that was the response. They did not find a leak...but there has to be a reason.

Oh my mileage is at 63,574. As with the rest of you I take my car in for all routine repairs...after all "Don't you know you have to take care of your car!?" :)

They say the engine light was going on due to the throttle needing to be replaced. I may have read in another posting this being an issue.

I'm with you tdoug38 - What next? I also agree loyality and good products go hand in hand. BMW is the car I am thinking of next. Each of these repairs add up real fast.

Disappointed.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Kawhi,

We are available for assistance. If you are interested, we can set up a Service Request to investigate your vehicle concern and situation to see what options are available in resolving this. Please send us an email with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina will assist you through the next steps of the process.

In the meantime, I will be sure to add additional documentation on this thread (as it continues to grow) for GM's consideration.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am sorry that you have had a less than satisfactory experience.

In regards to your current concerns, it is recommended in the owner's manual of your vehicle to check the oil level each time you fuel up to ensure that the oil level is within the operating range. Still, if we can follow up with your dealership, or if you would like to open a Service Request, please email us more information (name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership to start).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    It's great to get an update, and am glad to hear that you are receiving assistance in this matter. If we can ever be of service to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via email or on the forum.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 06envoyohio06envoyohio Member Posts: 1
    I filled the tank of my 06 Envoy yesterday, and when I restarted the vehicle, the gas gauge immediately went to empty with the warning light. Before leaving the station, I shut off and restarted the vehicle (rebooted) but the same issue happened. I drove about 10 minutes and it went to half full.
    Hoping that it would reset overnight, the gauge did the same thing this morning. HELP!
  • benbobbidictbenbobbidict Member Posts: 3
    in my case, the check-engine light also came on, and if you have onstar, they say it is the fueltank sending unit. i have an xl denali, and in my case the sending unit, on top of the tank, is part of the fuel pump, and both need replacing at same time, probably a $1000 at the dealers. in new york state, unlikely to pass inspection with check-engine warning, if you can tolerate having no fuel guage. i set 'tripB' to run 250 miles [25gal tank] and then refill.
    If we can get a service request going for you, please contact us via email with more information, including: your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

In the meantime, I am documenting this thread with the frequently surfacing gas gauge concerns.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • emwednesdayemwednesday Member Posts: 2
    there is a recall for the problem you state with the fuel gauge, but they will only pay half of the repair cost....
    thanks kawhi,
    mine is not the gas gauge its the speedo, and sometimes oil pressure.. i would be happy with GM paying half !! i see a GM rep name "sarah" on here sometimes, would love speak with or e-mail with her and see if there is anything GM will help out with. love my truck, but without any relief from the factory, i will be shopping toyota or nissan... and i really never buy foreign ANYTHING if i can get U.S. made.... its very aggravating....
  • mherron1mherron1 Member Posts: 3
    Mine is the oil pressure gauge also. My fuel sensor already went out so that was replaced. So at the request of GM I took my car to the dealership for diagnostics. I paid for the diagnostic and they told me the oil sensor is bad but GM will not cover it. (even though this is a known problem). Also, they told me I had a leak in the water pump and wanted over 700 bucks to fix it. I took the car to my regular mechanic and lo and behold no water pump leak. So right now I don't have much faith in GM or the dealership. I also had the sound or air leaking. As murphy's law would have it, when I took it in it wasnt making the sound. They never even checked it out just said they couldn't hear anything. GM also never addressed my question about my throttle body being replaced and also the ignition starter. All issues that have been known problems and should notl go bad. Will not be buying another GM product anytime soon. :(
  • gwellergweller Member Posts: 2
    My dear friend is having the same issue with her piece of crap - I told her not to buy a GM - Envoy. Gas gauge shows its on E even after she fills up. It chugs and bucks and stalls and has left her stranded a few times.

Shes having some awful life struggles right now so my husband and I have been helping her and her kids along the way. This car is her only vehicle and now its going to cost her $600 to have the fuel sending unit (fuel sensor) and an oxygen sensor replaced. Thats $600 that she doesnt have. Thats actually $600 that we dont have either to help her.

WTF GM??
    Good morning,
    I am not sure if you already have or not (a fellow Customer Service Representative, Christina, answers incoming emails from Edmunds), but we would be happy to look into your situation and get a Service Request set up. The email in my profile will forward to our database, and you will get a response from an "@gm.com" address.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    thank you SARAH,

it made my morning knowing someone knows what i'm going thru !!!
    i will use the link you provided to GM, and thank you so much....

respect,
    tim
  • gwellergweller Member Posts: 2
    I would like to happily report that after calling GM and getting a GM dealership to confirm that is was indeed part of the recall and the fuel sending unit - it only cost $147 to have it replaced with labor and taxes! The only bad part is that it also needed an oxygen sensor which then cost an additional $200 just to replace.

Easy and no hassles whatsoever. Im glad we could pay for this repair for our friend.
    hey gweller,
    thats great news !!! i also had a GM rep on here put me incontact
    with a corporate service person. he has me dropping my truck off friday
    so it can be documented as to why these are failing... i hope i do as well
    as you !! i also dont mind helping out a bit on the bill as you did, just to
    have my truck [which i love] back to being reliable.... again congrats
    on your "victory" of a sorts..... enjoy, and respect !!!!
    TIM
    I admire your generosity and kindness, gweller! I'm glad that this was able to be resolved without hassle. If in the future we can be of assistance, we're available!
    Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jake122jake122 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Just had my fuel sensor replaced at dealer, used the GMC 50% letter I received. Quite Frankly I am very upset with GMC they would not cover this repair completely on a 6 year old vehicle. The part cannot be replaced by the consumer. GMC you should be ashamed (BAILOUT) I was forced to pay $170.00 for this service. No more buying GMC for me!!!!!
    Good morning,
    If you were to send us an email with more information (including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and involved dealership), we would be happy to look into this further with you to see if there are any options available.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ryan74ryan74 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 GMC ENVOY with 78,000 miles on it.My wife has a kept up with having the oil changed every 3,000 miles faithfully as well as any time she thinks something could be wrong.Once she took it to the dealership after hearing a rattling sound she thought was the motor ,come to find out it was just a screw loose on the muffler extension.Now the LOW OIL PRESSURE then STOP ENGINE flashes and oil gauge goes to 0.I had the oil pressure sensor replaced by a shop and like 2 days later this happened again.The oil is fine and never any noise with engine either time.I can not believe this is happening to a car with less than 80,000 miles on it.I called GMC to see if their was a recall and they told me if it was the gas gauge going to empty they would pay 50/50.HOW DARE YOU GMC AND THE MONEY THEY GOT FROM US TAXPAYERS (BAILOUT) Does anyone know how to start up a class action lawsuit to get this problem fixed?It's a shame for as much money as this car cost,the age,and the mileage it has problems like this in so many cases all over the country.
  • julien61julien61 Member Posts: 5
    Please let me know if there is a class action suit. My 2005 Envoy is doing the same thing!
  • moosedb1moosedb1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 Envoy with the same issues. I first had to replace the fuel sending unit in the gas tank as my wife ran out of gas a couple times because of this issue. I now have a low oil pressure message that pops up while driving and then goes back and forth. I had the oil sending unit changed hoping to resolve this issue but it did not. I see this is a well known issues and most people with this vehicle are having the same problems. If anyone can help, give ideas of what problems I may be looking at or have a GM #,person,recall information please help me out. Lifters on the vehicle started tapping oil of the blue while driving and I had to get the car towed home as I did not want to risk driving it. I started the vehicle trying to see where the sound was coming from exactly but it stopped and the short burst of smoke was no more. GM seems to not want to address this issue with any of these vehicles at there cost!
  • ryan74ryan74 Member Posts: 2
    I will let you know if I hear anything and I hope someone on here will be able to help us.
    Ryan74,
    I can understand your frustration; can we look into this further for you? Please send us an email with more information (your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership) and my coworker Christina will further advise you.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mherron1mherron1 Member Posts: 3
    Sarah and Ryan
    GM will not do a thing for the oil gauge issue. I just had the diagnostics run (that GM required) at a cost of 50 bucks, to tell me there is a problem with my oil gauge sensor but so sorry it is not covered and we will not fix it.

Same dealer also told me I had a water pump leak and it would cost over 700 bucks to fix it. Took the car to my mechanic and I do not have a water pump leak and there is nothing wrong with my water pump.
    moosedb1,
    Have you already visited your dealership on this concern? If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch via email (be sure to include the last 8 digits of your VIN).
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kamiekamie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 envoy with 79000 miles on it and I have the same issue with the fuel gauge. I think it should have been recalled and replaced completely. Please let me know if you are aware of any suits against gm for this. Thank you.
    Sarah, I was told by GMC i need an engine and they will charge $4-$5K for the engine. No warranty GM will not cover and this seems to be a flaw in this engine. Bringing in they would only do pressure test but the engine need to be replaced from the issues I have
    If this is something you would like for us to look into further with you, we'd be happy to open up a Service Request! Please email us more information (include your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kpickkpick Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 05 denali xl a month ago & the oil pressure gauge started acting up by dropping to 0 and now is just pegged at max took it to the dealer for a alignment and to look at the oil pressure issue and they tell me i need a whole new instrument panel and it's going to cost 500$ oh and the kicker is they say my extended warranty they just sold me wasn't going to cover it has anybody had this problem master tech warranty is anybody familiar with this warranty
    While I don't have information on the Master Tech warranty, if we can look into the situation at the dealership please get in touch via email with more information (please include the last 8 digits of your VIN and involved dealership).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kishia1kishia1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have an 07 Envoy Denali and I have a problem with my engine light being on. Took it to get a diagnostic check and the Throttle position sensor needs to be replaced. I have replaced my altenator and battery in 2010. Now my bags that lifts the truck struggle and does not work on a daily basis, my lights may not come on and the oil gauge light is on (and also dropped down to zero). Two years ago i replace the motor that controls the window that cost me around $500 bucks. If all these problems are common why haven't they did a recall on them. I mean is this why they don't make them anymore. I am strugglng what can I do, Its not in warranty and it seems like the motherboard going bad. What are my options?
    Please let me know...
    Good morning,
    If you would like to explore any available options through Customer Service, we can get a Service Request set up for you. Please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds user name, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership) and my coworker Christina will advise you from that point.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    sorry to tell you this KISHIA1, but, you'll get no help from GM on any of your problems... we taxpayers bailed out GM because they could'nt keep themselves afloat. now when something like ALL these gauge problems arise, [many thousands, said the service writer himself] and they should do a recall, they say "oh sorry thats not covered" if it was TOYOTA they would fix EVERY single one as they have shown in the last recall.. i'm done with GM i own a perfect, garage kept ENVOY with low milage and they would'nt even split the cost with me on they're under engeneered parts..... been a GMC man all my life, was ordering a caddy CTS this spring.... FORGET THAT, hyundai has a sport coupe out that will kick the pants off the caddy.... so who loses????
  • envoy05envoy05 Member Posts: 4
    I am on number three Fuel Sending Unit. I complained to GM over the phone and emails to no answer. I am a true believer in buying American made products until now. I get a letter in the mail from a GM dealer saying they know that there is a huge problem with the sending unit and that they will pay half. Half? You put a crap piece on an overly expensive car and you will only pay half. I recently bought a Toyota Solara and it is awesome. Thank you Toyota and thanks for nothing GM! Trying to sell the Envoy :mad:
    Here is the problem. We shouldn't have to waste our time with a lawsuit. Look what Toyota and Honda did; they replaced their issues and didn't run away from them!
    When you called, were you assigned a case number? We could look into what is going on with it, if you like. Please send it to us via email and we'll see what we can find.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,
    That was a year ago. I will find it and send it to you! Its nice to see people like you working for GM, but for me it is too late! I will never buy another GM product again. Which is sad, because all of our company vehicles were GMC and all of my personal cars were GM products. Tell your superiors to get a grip on what really matters; THE CUSTOMER!
    After working with the GM District Specialist and taking my vehicle to the GMC dealership as requested. The service Mgr determined my engine in my 2006 Envoy needs to be replaced after suddenly throwing "low oil pressure" message and going from low to normal consistently. They have no idea why and stated they would need to totally disassemble the engine to find out what caused this (at my cost). The District specialist called to tell me GM would not give any assistance with any issues I have with my vehicle do to the fact it has high mileage 114K and that is probably part of the cause in my engine failure, after fuel sending unit died as many of you have experienced as well. I will never buy another GM product. I have a 97 Toyota Avalon with 154K and 01 F150 with 135K that ride like new and other than basic tune-up has been trouble free. Family member has Envoy and had major issues as well. Many of you can probably relate.
  • rottieloverrottielover Member Posts: 2
    Well it look's like I'm not alone, my 2007 Envoy dash is starting to look like a Christmas tree. This is one of the strangest vehicles I have ever owned.
    1. the gas guage died, got repaired under warranty thank goodness it was expensive, along with the drivers side window motor.
    2. the left and right - front and rear speakers come and go when they want to
    3. the tire pressure light comes and goes thru out the day year round, tires have correct pressure.
    4. the check engine light comes and goes, my mechanic is confused can't get a code & he's good!
    5. the seatbelt/door bell is loud then soft, then quiet then loud etc...
    6. the dash light at the heat and a/c temp control knobs comes and goes
    7. the stab. track lights have now come on and stay on, the button on the side of the gear shift has no effect. I'm waiting for one of us to get stranded before we can get rid of this piece of junk.
    Now I am not an individual that neglects a vehicle, the Chev car my wife drove before the GMC Envoy had 206,000 miles. My current Chev. Silverodo work truck has 337,000 miles we take care of our cars.
    This Envoy has 75,000 on it now and really started having problems at about 20,000 miles.
    I figure it will cost a chunk of cash just to figure out what all the lights mean and no telling what it will cost to repair. I've got to get the damn lights off the dash so I can sell it. NO MORE GMC'S FOR THIS CONSUMER!
    I'm sorry that your Envoy has not been a satisfactory vehicle for you, rottielover. Have you already worked with Customer Service to address these issues? We're available to look into your situation further with you and will try to help get this resolved at a dealership.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    hey rottielover, feel bad for you bro. but you'll get no help from GM on this same as i did'nt. everytime its even moist out my speedo and oil pressure gauge go as far as the enclosure will let them. on your "check engine" light issue, have your mechanic check how fast car is coming up to temprature. thats what mine was, truck was running too cool needed new thermistat, and MAP sensor to clear that up... there is a huge problem with the gauge packages of these trucks, but they wont admit it and do a recall... but just like me they're saying to you "thanks for bailing us out when we were going under"
    SUCKERS we all were.. damn shame too, cuz i really liked my envoy.... i'll be driving a TOYOTA soon as this is done, [which probably wont be too long] good luck on the temp. fix, and with getting help from them..... aint gonna happen......
    rottielover,
    Do not waste your time with GM. They will talk as if they want to help you and screw you over royally. Unfortunately we bailed these crooks out that manufactured a defective product and knowing there mistake they stopped making the vehicle. It had nothing to do with new models coming out and not wanting those models to clash. I will be a STRONG advocate against anyone that tells me they are going to buy a GM vehicle. I actually had a district NO specialist that have NO knowledge of cars tell me that my engine failed (low oil pressure suddenly is do to the high mileage on my vehicle 114K. I have a 2001 Ford F150 and 1997 Toyota with 132K and 154K and they have NEVER had an issue. I had to change fuel sensor, oil pressure sending unit, camshaft positioner sensor and finally engine needs to be replaced. If anyone knows of any Class action in regards to this model let me know ASAP if anyone is going to go that route you have MANY supporters in this forum!
  • phil2226phil2226 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sarah,

Since you are following this thread,you might be able to give me direction. I just bought an 06 Envoy Denali with 109 kms on it and am afraid that I have bought a vehicle with the exact problem these people are complaining about. Two days of normal used car maintenance and the a day of low oil pressure and a noisy engine. I changed the oil pressure sensor and the problem continued. Five minutes ago I started the vehicle and there are no noticable problems oil pressure is good annd the noise is gone. No fault codes.
    I imagine that there must be some steps that can be taken now other than puting it back up for sale.
    my exact issue a couple weeks ago and 3 shops including gmc told me engine must be replaced. One was my uncle a 30 year Chrysler technician manager. Hopefully this is not your fate. I had 114K and GMC says high mileage is partly to blame. Dont look for help from them. Sarah is very helpful with her concern but unfortunately for us she does not make the call.
  • cfitzycfitzy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 GMC Envoy; I bought with 46,000 miles on it. I am so aggravated with GMC and their tactics to resolve issues that are clearly their fault for putting faulty pieces and parts into a car and not taking responsibility for their mistake. Every light in my 2006 Envoy goes on and off all the time and honestly I've gotten to the point that I don't pay attention to it anymore! Then we received a letter from GMC stating that they will pay 1/2 for a "faulty fuel level sensor", FAULTY?? I didn't buy a car with FAULTY parts if they are FAULTY it's because you put them in FAULTY, why am I responsible for that or anyone else for that matter..?? To me if you put something FAULTY into a product it's your responsibility to FIX IT not mine!!

My husband is out of work and we’re trying to make ends meet and I have a car that I'm riding around in a car and I have no idea how much gas I have. I am driving on major highways all the time and my car has died 3 times so far the last being a very dangerous and scary situation. I also have two small kids, if anything happens to me or my family while I'm driving and my car dies in the middle of a highway trust me GM this won't be the last time you hear from me. It's very dangerous driving in a situation like that. I was on a highway with NO SHOULDER and my car died... THANK GOD I found the only SMALL shoulder by an exit ramp I past to swerve over to. Other wise I could have been killed. I was on this little shoulder and was still scared because of all the tractor trailers flying by me...

Not sure why there has not been a TOTAL RECALL on this because someone is going to get hurt or killed. Why can't the government see this.. They are next on my e-mail list.. GMC Stand by your customers and product and FIX IT... Not for 1/2 for free it's your fault were having this issue!

If GMC can't take responsibility for the issues their cars are having due to their incompetence I will NEVER and I mean NEVER by another GM Product EVER and make sure no one else I know does either... No wonder why people by foreign cars at least with all the issues everyone else has had I have to respect them for standing up to their name and correcting it. No GMC wants to send a letter in the mail stating they know there is a Faulty piece that was put in the cars and they will fix it but only pay have or only for the part not for the labor? Are you kidding me.... What kind of service is that? We all bought cars in WORKING condition assuming all the parts were legit not faulty or bad!!

Also GM don't forget who BAILED you out when you were going under.... that's right TAX PAYERS! Is this what we get in return after purchasing your product? We'll I hope you go under again and guess what you will NOT get another bail I can assure you on that. Millions of people are barely trying to make ends meet and half don't have jobs and you want them to pay yet again your screw up... Classic

I fully agree with "Air Springs & everyone else for that matter"
    If GM cannot stand behind this obvious safety Issues with failed fuel gauges I can't stand behind them anymore!! I’m all for “Buy American” to stand behind my country and keep Americans working. If I do buy American again I can bet it won’t be a GM car…
  • cfitzycfitzy Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree with you more.... I'll try to find some Class Action Issues and if I find any I'll let you know...