Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Outback steering wheel shaking and hesitation

2010outbacker2010outbacker Member Posts: 5
Hi Guys,

I just placed an order for a 2010 Outback 3.6R limited. I came across some posts on another forum. Some owner of 2010 Outback (especially 3.6R) complain about the following two issues.

1. Shaking steering wheel when driving on 65-75mph

2. Hesitation when accelerating from low speeds

I wonder if any of you guys have experienced similar issues or you are happy with your all new OB?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• 2010outbacker2010outbacker Member Posts: 5
    All the 3.6 engines that have been delivered to this point need a reflash to fix the hesitation problem. All that are currently coming from the factory have already got it.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Do you know if it is only up to 75 mph? If it were something present at speeds greater than 65 mph, it could very well be the wheel balance, but I would not expect that to go away at even faster speeds....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I am not so sure. I haven't got my car yet and what I heard was from another forum of new 2010 Outback owners. People there said neither alignment nor balancing didn't resolve the problem. They also mentioned that SOA is aware of this issue and replaced springs for some of them but it didn't work either.
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    2010outbacker,

Is there a TSB out yet on the 3.6R hesitation fix? Do you happen to know if it was a reprogramming of the ECU (engine control unit), or the TCM (transmission control module)? I have heard speculation on both sides of the question of whether it has more to do with engine or transmission programming.

With my own car the issue seems pretty minor, but when I have it in for its first oil change in a month or so, I want to get whatever updates there are.

(I also have not experienced the steering wheel vibration issue, but my sense of that issue is that it may be a combination of out-of-balance or out-of-round issues with the wheels/tires, coupled with a steering system that is more sensitive to (or revealing of) vibration issues than it should be.

There is a lot of discussion of this issue on the www.subaruoutback.org forum. Dealers have been doing a lot of wheel re-balancing as at least part of the solution, and have just recently been doing the so-called "spring" fix, for people who have complained of the vibration. This appears to involve replacement of a small spring that is inside of the steering rack assembly, with a somewhat heavier/stiffer spring. As far as I can tell from the info I've seen, this spring is providing some pressure that holds the sliding/moving part of the steering rack, up against the fixed housing of the steering rack. It is inside of the rack assembly itself, but apparently is fairly quick/easy to replace.

But the earliest reports on this spring replacement are that it seems to reduce the vibration felt through the steering wheel, but doesn't necessarily eliminate it. My own guess is that re-balancing the wheels/tires remains part of the fix.

It is also not clear how many cars have this issue. I don't experience it at all, but maybe that is just due to luck in having well-balanced wheels and tires. It also MAY be the case that the issue doesn't apply to cars with the base 16" steel wheels. But I don't think that's been firmly established. In any case, it applies to both engine versions.
  • tblumentblumen Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought 2010 2.5 6-speed manual outback. I have noticed that there is a slight (but noticeable) hesitation when accelerating into first, and also into second. Dealer said I should just drive it and get used to the way it shifts. I have always driven manuals, and my 1999 outback is much smoother shifting.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am growing increasingly frustrated with dealer.
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    "All the 3.6 engines that have been delivered to this point need a reflash to fix the hesitation problem. All that are currently coming from the factory have already got it. "

2010outbacker: To reinforce the other response above -- Where did you learn this information? No TSB has been issued as far as I know (searchable at techinfo.subaru.com).

This is very exciting news and I want to make sure it is credible and that you didn't misunderstand someone telling you that this is what is going to happen if they can fix it.

Thanks!!!

Elliot
    Hi guys, sorry for the late reply...

I also registered for an account on www.subaruoutback.org but it hasn't been activated yet.

Basically, I heard it from the dealership that I placed an order for my 3.6R limited OB. I haven't got the car yet. The sales manager told me that he got this info from his service manager
  • zoeman21zoeman21 Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2010 Legacy and have been back to the shop 3 times with the steering issue. So far tires have been balanced 2x's, and alignment done once with no success. Not only is there a shake above 60 the steering is cagey and requires lots of over steer and corrections to keep straight. bringing back a 4th time per the dealers suggestion will post and let you know what they do.

BTW, the dealer has indicated that I am one of many so far to come back with this issue.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Zoeman21,

will be interested if they solve your problem or how they comp you if they cannot get it fixed. '10 Outback is a great looking product, sat it one and loved it but would have concerns about getting one if steering issues cannot get fixed.

Any other things about the car you are having difficulties with or subtle things you wish you could change about the car?

Thanks,
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    YEEEE HAAAA!!! Call your dealer now to schedule the ECM flash -- I just called mine and they confirmed access to the Service Bulletin details and the ECM flash files. :shades:

Elliot

Service Bulletin #11-94-09
    Pages: 1

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that ECM reprogramming files are now available to rectify a "delay" feeling after depressing the gas pedal. The usual customer description is a "hesitation". It is most noticeable when attempting to accelerate after a slow "rolling stop" (very slow speed / not quite fully stopped), and sometimes may be accompanied by a harsh shift as the transmission shifts at the same time of acceleration.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good news, thanks for the follow-up.
    hi albert

taking it back next week for the steering but be warned because the service technician claims others are having the same issue.

I agree the car looks great and it has some positives such as gas mileage, room for 5 adults, good breaking. On the picky side the speaker for the blue tooth looks like it is 1970's style and unless u go premium model u dont get a lot of nice things like fogs, leather, sirius, climate control.. If you are set on an AWD I also test drove the cx7 and loved it, and the new audi a4 is supreme/ i went subaru becuase the forester got high ratings so figured the legacy would also be quality, very disappointing.

Mike
  • 1hhead1hhead Member Posts: 18
    I have sinister news to report... Every 2.5i and 3.6R model outback I've drive has been PERFECT! And I drove them in September & October early production timeframes. Also, just drove my father-out-law's 2.5i Premium CVT purchased in late August and it was flawless with roughly 9K miles on the speedo.

The only noticeable issue I felt with the 3.6 (base) was a slighly "nose heavy" sensation driving on the surface roads and slight "nose heavy" steering on the bumps on the inter-state concrete road surfaces. In short, both darn cars run perfectly.

Well at least I wish I had something sinister to report... For the record, both my Honda Pilot & my F150 Lariat SuperCrew are much tougher to drive than the "outlaw's" 2.5i by a long shot!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I could say the same -- everyone I drove has shown no sign of steering problems; including the one I now own with 700 miles on it. But that is not saying much since I only drove three! I am curious how many you have driven 1head?

After following this problem on several threads I have the strong impression it is an isolated issue, that SOA will fix it if you have such a problem, and that anyone considering purchasing a 2010 OB should take it on the highway for 5-10 miles between 60 & 80 mph before signing any papers.
  • txcharlie66txcharlie66 Member Posts: 1
    I've been watching a thread on subaruoutback.org forms about the steering wheel wobble problem (under forums/2010 Outback). Very interesting stuff.

After we test drove the stick, CVT, and 6-cyl, we decided on the CVT. The dealer located one with all our options, we showed up today and on the test drive, on the interstate, there it was. the wobble.

It started at around 55mph, and stuck around all the way up to 75 (didn't go faster). The car drifted to the left and right. steering wheel input to correct the drift resulted in a feeling of over-control, and the need to correct the other direction. Taking my hands off the wheel showed a slow, consistent drift to the right. the vibration was noticeable in the steering wheel, but also was noticeable to the passenger.

We didn't sign on the dotted line. They're going to force balance the wheel and we'll try again tomorrow but I'm skeptical based on what I've read. This car was manufactured in December, don't recall the date.

The first five we tested were fine, no wobble problems at all, by the way.
    Try a different car if they have 2 of the same. Now that you've felt it you ought to be able to identify it again.
    It almost sounds like an issue of toe-in to me, but it is likely more complex than that given the seemingly widespread nature and difficulty eradicating it. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    I drove an outback configured the same way. I felt a slight vibration at slow speeds < 10 mph but no problems on the highway. For $33k, there should be no vibration. Love the car but concerned about this and not sure I even want to bother given their short supply
  • windwalker52windwalker52 Member Posts: 1
    Our 93 Legacy steering wheel began jerking yesterday. They are quick "seizure" type jerks. There is also a sensation of hydroplaning which is very brief and doesn't occur with the jerking all the time. I took it to our mechanic who specializes in Subarus. We took it out on the interstate and it began jerking when leaving the interstate. He checked the front end. I took it and had it realigned and he put two new tires on it. It feels worse now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Power steering pump? Steering rack?

If the mechanic felt it he should have a better idea.
  • fem38fem38 Member Posts: 1
    seems as thou you need a new mechanic more likely lol

that is strange as you say he specializes in subaru"s
  • mediaguy1mediaguy1 Member Posts: 12
    Have a 2010 Outback Limited with 1,000 miles on it and the steering/tire balance is perfect. No problems here.
    funny, so far on my car they road force balanced the tires 2 times, alignment 2 times, changed a spring in the steering rack and the vibration and drifting on the highway continues. from the service department i also understand this issue is fairly common but as of yet they have not found a fix.. this issue has been raised to Subaru of America so I can only assume that they have qualified mechanics searching for a fix.
  • norcalmike1norcalmike1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone. I ordered a 3.6R Outback Limited on 12/26/09. The last of my VIN is 61,145 and it should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm going to test drive the car at varied speeds and road surfaces watching for the front wheel shake. I saw a 3.6R Outback on the dealer lot today and could not help but notice there were three times the amount of tire weights on the front wheels than the rear. There was a good nine inches of stick on weights on the outer edge and about eight inches of the hammer on type weights on the inner edge. Is it possible there is something out of whack with the front discs and Subaru is spin balancing the front tires while on the car? I have never seen that many tire weights on a passenger car wheel. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    There are machines that balance wheels with a load on the tire. Those are better than the free-spinning ones with no load. Ask if they can perform that service.
    this is no mistake. my car had simillar weights and it was an attempt to mask the fairly prevelant wheel shake in the car. note that the excess weights do not fix the problem and that Subaru has had my brand new car into the service dept 5 times trying to fix this. Be leary of any of the Subarus with this amount of weights. Also note that it appears the problem in these cars may be isolated to the Indiana produced vehicles.. Hope this helps
  • ianc435ianc435 Member Posts: 10
    Request a road force test/balance. Machine applies load to tire and measure runout and balances. It formulates optimal tire position on the car.
  • bbragebbrage Member Posts: 1
    I have just leased a 2010 outback, steering wheel shakes at 50-70mph, especially on smooth roads. Dealership road balanced 2 or 3 times, recalibrated their machine that does that, tried different tires, and it still does it. 2011 I test drove after does it also. I notice when taking a turn steering likes to snap back to straight,is that normal?? I'm coming from a bmw and this is very different. I like the car, but will not settle for all this in a new vehicle.
    Just for the record, Subaru has recently issued the TSB for those with the steering wheel vibration/shaking issue. The new TSB is numbered 05-48-10. It's too involved to describe fully, but consists of some new engine mount inserts, suspension bushings for both front and rear, a stiffer little spring inside of the steering rack (this part was being done already in some cases), and a new steering wheel with some form of damping device that actually gets attached to the new steering wheel. Note that there is also a companion TSB (issued a little while ago), numbered 05-50-10, that basically discusses road force balancing as a first step to take. It is not clear if Subaru will do the more involved fixes for anyone who asks or complains - it may be that they reserve the right to decide if your car is exhibiting the problem or not (I'm not sure about this last part, as the TSB and the required parts kit are just being rolled out, and owners who had previously tried to have their issues addressed are receiving first priority.

More details can be found here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/20843-slight-st- eering-wheel-shake-288.html
    Thanks! That's an impressive repair - 4.7 hours of warranty time. I don't think I have seen a TSB that included that much labor!
  • thor14thor14 Member Posts: 17
    I have been doing my research and had settled on getting a 2.5 Outback in the coming months, but all this talk of the steering shimmy (especially on subaruoutback.org) is making me suspicious.

In the meantime, I have the guy from Toyota calling me weekly to sell me a 2010 Highlander at a great price, with great financing, that will supposedly end this month as the 2011s come in.

Obviously, Toyota has had their problems, but I have some confidence that they have been corrected and I still believe Toyotas are reliable/long lasting vehicles. The postings related this steering shimmy are bewildering and confusing. Plus, there seems to be no solution as of yet.

What do you all think? Is this steering shimmy on the Outback a real issue that warrants looking at other vehicles?

I would sure feel like an idiot if I spent $25,000 on an Outback next month and the think starting shaking every time I got on the highway.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thor
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I have been following the shaky Outback issue for months. I, too, have been considering the acquisition of a new Outback until this problem reared its ugly head.

According to an informal poll on the other site you mentioned, 30% of owners of the new Outback have encountered the shake issue. It is a real issue.

Many, many "fixes" have been tried by Subaru but none has consistently worked to resolve the issue.

Therefore, I have delayed my decision to acquire a new Outback until such time as the problem has been definitively diagnosed and resolved. No one knows when that will be.

As to whether to buy the Toyota, that is a personal decision and depends upon your unique circumstances and desires. In my view Toyota has a past history of quality and dependability but I have looked into a number of Toyota vehicles lately and have not been impressed with what I have found. Many of their models have been cheapened and I don't think they now possess the overall quality or dependability they once did.

Having said that, however, I did drive a 2010 RAV4 V-6 and thought it was a great ride. What's its reliability and quality will be going forward I don't know. I have no experience with the Highlander.

As I am not in urgent need to acquire a new vehicle at this juncture, I personally am going to wait a little longer to see if Subaru addresses and truly resolves its shaking Outback issue.

Good fortune, Thor, in your own decision.
    Thanks for the feedback Priggly.

I test drove a Highlander and it was very boring, BUT it handled fine, was roomy enough for my family of 4, comes with a decent engine, and it has slightly better mpg than the Pilot and CX9.

Compared to what I have been reading about the Outback lately, maybe boring isn't such a bad thing when your spending $25,000.
    I hear ya!

In Canada, where I hail from, the cost of the 3.6R Limited Outback is $45,000, taxes and fees in and the US and CDN dollars are almost at par.

Can you imagine buying a car at that price and getting a shaker??!

You can see why I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out.

You are correct. Maybe boring is not be such a bad thing!
    Just noticed this from the Edmunds Consumer Review thread on the 2011 OB. It's the most recent review:

Major Defect

Written by: Bill on 07/28/2010

Detailed Ratings

Overall Rating
    Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 6 Build Quality: 3
    Comfort: 9 Interior Design: 6 Reliability: 3
    Fuel Economy: 9 Exterior Design: 7

Vehicle

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Review

Did a lot or research and test driving, and found the Outback met all my needs as far as comfort, performance,style and supposedly build quality. Shortly after delivery noticed a vibration/shake in the steering wheel at various speeds. Took back to the dealer and they road forced balanced the tires and said that would take care of the problem. It didn't and made it worse at highway speed. Back to the dealer, told them that problem was still there and even worse, car left with them for more testing. Did some research and found numerous complaints about this on NHTSA and on a Subaru Outback forum. I called Subaru and was told that they were aware of problem but as yet had no fix.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, good stereo, good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Should have corrected steering problem for the 2010 models before releasing the 2011's with the same problem. First and last Subaru unless they can correct steering. Will update if and when car gets fixed. 500 miles on the car and 2 trips to the shop. Suggest you wait for a fix before buying.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2011/consumerreview.html

Yep, Subaru needs to get its house in order BIG TIME.

The word is out now about the many flawed vehicles and if this is not rectified pronto, sales will definitely suffer if they are not already doing so.
    If boring describes the alternative I'd keep shopping.

We ended up in a 2007 Sienna because the large crossovers are indeed boring, and if that's the case you may as well get the benefit of acres of interior space. Plus, vans are cheaper than crossovers.
  • john_mujohn_mu Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    In the not to distant future I intend to order a 2011 OB, 3.6, Ltd, 5 sp. auto. Was also concerned about steering wheel vibration and a few other minor issues. Drove the demo vehicle 65 to 80mph for a few miles-then slowed down fearing an onslaught of flashing lights.

This demo vehicle drove and rode extremely well-even better than I had expected. I experienced a reassuring road feel from the rack and pinion steering but there was no vibration in the steering wheel or the car seat. Overall, a very satisfying test drive experience.

Some days luck just happens. When we returned to the showroom, two corporate officers from Subaru America were visiting the dealership and having a discussion at a desk in the showroom. They overheard me talking to the salesman about the oil-like smoothness of the ride and my initial concerns about the steering wheel vibration. They asked if we would mind their joining our conversation.

They said Subaru of America was aware of this annoying and infrequent problem in the 2010 OB and that the problem has been resolved for all 2011 Outbacks. Both men were identical and certain in their remarks and very knowledgeable about even the smallest of details in the Outback.

I was impressed with my test drive and reassured of SOA's desire to manufacture vehicles to the highest standards and solve problems as quickly as possible.

John_Mu

Edit: I do not know why my post contains two sizes of type. Sorry!
    This info about the steering vibration being cured in the 2011 Outback does not jibe with the experiences of some who purchased this vehicle. I'll still wait a while longer before making my purchase.
    Hello, John.

I found your comments very interesting. You are right: when the new Outback works, it works exceedingly well with a smooth, fluid ride and a rock-steady steering wheel. I had one for a long (overnight) test drive and there was no steering problem at all on the 2010 sample that I had.

The problem is that, according to some buyers, the shake does not show up for perhaps a thousand miles or more, which, of course, could not be determined by taking the car one was hoping to buy for a test drive.

I am also puzzled by the comments you report from the Subaru representatives to the effect that the defect would not involve the 2011 cars as there have been reports by some buyers of the 2011s that they also experienced shaking steering wheels.

I am in the market for a new Outback but am postponing it until this steering/suspension issue is definitively diagnosed and reproducibly resolved.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    If you don't need a 4X4 (AWD) then the Toyota is for you. If you need or want a 4X4 (AWD) the Toyota SUCKS compared to the Subaru.

If you do get the Toyota, you might want my cell # so I can come pull you out of the 2" snow drifts you will be getting stuck in. :D
  • eftiefti Member Posts: 2
    I have been following this issue closely because I am interested in purchasing a new Subaru Legacy or Outback. However, it is not clear to me how well the "fix" prescribed in the TSBs work and I am wondering if there is any one out there who has had their car modified in accordance with the bulletins and can report on the result. For example, has the problem been fully corrected, does the car drive differently and in what way, are they satisfied with the result and any other comments that may be useful.

I talked to a local service manager and asked him to tell me just what is the problem. Why are "x" number of cars OK and a smaller number "y" are not when they came off the same production line? Also, why did it take so much time to finally issue a bulletin that supposedly fixes the problem? He told me it was a non-issue because Subaru would take care of the problem.I am suspicious that the manufacturing process at Lafayette has infrequently gone out of control and, as a result, some of the cars come off the line with the built in steering problems that owners have reported. And, those problems are not a matter of simply replacing a part but apparently may require a modification to the vehicle which makes it a modified Legacy/Outback and not the one the owner purchased. I am holding off on any purchase until I am fully confident that the steering problem has been solved and, hopefully, no more 2011's will have it.
    edited August 2010
    I continue to be confused by this whole steering shudder as well.

I did test drive one the other day, and I briefly got it up to 65 mph and I did notice a vibration in the steering wheel. It wasn't bad, but enough to notice, especially if your keen to it.

If thats all it is, I do not think such a vibration would keep me from purchasing the vehicle, but in light of all the attention being paid to it lately and some of the stories I have reading, I am still hesitant to purchase.

And yes, the dealer also told me its really not that big a deal and Subaru is very loyal to its customers and if there was a problem they would do everything they could to fix it.

Thor
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Our 2010 OB with >8K is smooth on the highway, but it does exhibit some annoying hesitation at times that was not there when new. Have not brought it to the attention of dealer yet.
  • phillseaphillsea Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a brand new 2011 Outback (2.5 w/ CVT) and I am feeling a pulse or vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds (parking garage speed). I also think I feel it at higher speeds (over 40 mph) when I let up on the gas and let the Outback coast. I saw postings on highway speed vibrations and pulling but this seems different from that... Anyone else with issues like this? Thanks!
    There is a known steering defect in the new Outback which affects an unknown percentage of cars.

Go to subaruoutback.org where there are many threads and literally hundreds of pages of posts on the various shake issues experienced by buyers of the new Outback.

See the Forum entitled "Steering Wheel Shake Issues."

It is unfortunate you were not aware of this before you bought the car.
    I think Post 45 is talking about a different problem than yours, Phillsea. I believe post 45 is talking about the high-speed steering wheel vibration issue, that affects some 2010-11 OBs at 65-75 mph, roughly.

But in addition to that issue there have been a few posts on www.subaruoutback.org about a pulsing at very low speeds, or even when turning the steering wheel while standing still. If I recall right, the person (or maybe more than one) who posted about this separate issue ended up having something fixed that was related to their power-steering pump. You might have to search that forum using carefully-chosen key words, to NOT include the hundreds and hundreds of posts related to the high-speed issue....

(As an aside, the "fix kit" for the high-speed issue involves road-force wheel balancing, then suspension bushings, the change of a small spring inside of the steering rack, and a damper/weight being added to the steering wheel.)
    Well, despite all the message board attention to the "steering shimmy" and my own hesitation, I bit the bullet and purchased a 2011 Premium 2.5 CVT Outback yesterday. Test drove and driving around town with no problems or shakes at 160 miles.

Lovin the car and hope it continues to be that way.

Thor
    Congrats, enjoy!
    Come back and tell us your experiences by 10,000 miles.

I'd be interested to know if you are still "lovin" it then.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2010
    Any word on this issue? Looking at the 2011 H6 Outback as a possible purchase. My 2001 LLBean H6 Outback is reaching 10 years and 150K miles. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ralph
    There has been some talk of another TSB coming out in a few months that is supposed to be the "fix" for those Outbacks that have the shakes.

After months of hesitation and research, I test drove one, and it did not shake, so I bought it right then and there. Mine is a 2.5i and I love it. After 1000 miles it still does not vibrate or shake. Its a great car. No regrets.

Its been hard to get a real sense of the vibration problem. There are no accurate numbers out there, but it does seem to impact some Outbacks. I just figured if it test drove okay, I would go home with it, and thats what worked for me :) Good luck.