Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Climate Control

redave2redave2 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2000 Echo and the heater knob Far right knob) that directs the heat to different areas of the car (windscreen, foot area etc) has stopped working. I have taken the cover from around the instruments, but I cannot really see the controls from there. Does anyone know how the knob moves the linkages which changes the direction flow of the heater.

Thanks Dave

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    I suspect one of the links are come apart which is why it wont change anything. I have the service manual at home and tomorrow Ill look at it and see if it shows anything.
    Pull the temperature and air direction knobs off. There is a screw under each knob. Remove them. There are six fitting clips holding the trim panel on. Remove them with a screwdriver. Then you can remove the trim panel covering the control. Im not sure what you can see but there are three cables attched to the control. The direction cable is on the right and is short in lenth. If you need more disassembly the pass air bag and speedo have to come out. Good luck!
  • redave2redave2 Member Posts: 2
    kneisl 1,
    Thanks for the information, I have only just got round to trying to fix the problem.
    I took the cover from round the speedo and could see some of the six clips, I am not sure if I could just pull on the trim panel the same way I took the speedo cover off.
    Thanks very much for the help.
  • echothatechothat Member Posts: 8
    My heat and AC direction dials don't work for me either on my 2002 Echo. Never have. They work well enough that I can't complain, however. There IS hot and cold air coming out of the vents. I can live with all else.
  • echoloveecholove Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Echo, manual transmission, 166 000 miles. My AC is gone completely. I love my Echo. Is it worth replacing the AC or do I have to buy a new car? If yes, what? There does not seem to be anything else out there that matches my little ECHO. I value the nimbleness and the fuel economy above all else. I like it small, fast and cheap.
    edited December 2011
    Yes your ECHO is worth investing in! My son has a 2000 I bought with 117k on it for $3000. It now has 180k and has been on two trips out west from NJ without drama.

The ECHO is one of the best built, best designed cars EVER made.

There ISNT anything better out there. You already own the BEST!

Go to some AC shops (NOT the dealer!) and get two or three estimates for the repair. That should give you a feel for what is needed. Get some recommendations as to where to go from friends/coworkers/family. Maybe it just needs a rechrage, ($$) maybe it needs a compressor.(More $$$)I would also look in the yellow pages under auto section and airconditioning to find a shop.

A full on new compressor repair maight be $1000. If so were it my car I wouldnt hesitate. But it could well be someting cheaper. If one shop says big bucks go someplace else. Go to several until you get sort of the same answer.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
    Thank you so much! I will do it. Why don't they make the ECHO anymore, I wonder.
    Well it was not exactly a BMW ego stroker. That and people just do not buy (or did not buy) economy cars in this country. There is just too much at stake social status wise to buy a car like an ECHO! The Yaris got bigger and flashier in an attempt to increase sales. Look at Camry! Look at Accord! Remember when they got 40 mpg? I saw an Accord in a show room last summer and the stickers said average mpg 16! 16!

That is the fate of all such cars I fear.

But maybe with the economy going real bad people will come to their senses....

Maybe...
  • aries65aries65 Member Posts: 7
    I've been hearing what sound like birds chirping around my car when I turn on the A/C and have the window rolled down a little before I back out. It only seems to do it when the car is idling, but once I get going - the sound disappears. Is this something to worry about, or just normal sounds the A/C makes? I have a 2001 Echo.
    Could be a lot of things.

Are you mechanically inclined?

My son has a 2000 ECHO and its nearing 200,000 miles. Bought at 117,000. His method of dealing with noises has evolved into running the car until whaever is making the noise either stops it from running. Or not.
    edited July 2013
    No, I'm not mechanically inclined! The A/C works fine, it's just that I'm hearing that chirping noise while the car is running. It's not there when I turn it (the A/C) off.
    You could take it to a shop.

But they might say it will be $1000 to fix it when not that much is wrong.

Do you know any AC shop you trust?

If it was mine I would just pay attention to the noise and see if it gets worse.

If not I would drive it until it does!

gOOD LUCK AND TELL US WHAT HAPPENS!

I got that "chirping" looked at. Turned out to be a loose belt. Got it replaced for $65 at a local mechanic shop. Great deal! :D