Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    You should have heard the chatter of wiper blades on my 06 Q45. The Japanese car mfrs are very competent in knowing what Americans expect in a car most of the time, but sometimes, they are absolutely clueless.
  • oldman925oldman925 Member Posts: 22
    where is the MPG button to set as described in your post .my car shows 22 miles and 24 miles and one reading shows only --- dashes .i have 2900 miles on it .6 months old now.
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    When I complained loudly enough, after replacing the blades didn't do it, the dealer replaced the arm on the passenger side. Problem solved. Talking to a friend this morning, also a 2011 Av owner, he's also having the wiper problem. Must be faulty wiper arms from the factory.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Not quite sure of your question here.

You have the Average Fuel Consumption (AVG. __._ MPG) that shows comsumption since you bought the car or reset the button. You can reset this by pressing and holding the DISP button while it is being displayed.

You have Current Fuel Consumption ( __._ MPG) that show the current rate of consumption. I think this reads dashes before the engine is started. This button can't be reset.

Hopefully this will answer your question.
    The area that shows dashs does not change , always the same . the 22 and 24 i assume is showing what the gas milage is after any trip . but the # have never changed im all the miles driven . Would seem that the 22 / 24 would have either raised or lowered . only button i see is for the odomiter which i have never touched . car has too many gadgets . Hope this is clear .
    Yes, I think they should of changed also.

Go to the display that reads 22 then push and hold the DISP
    button down for a couple of seconds. Then go to the one that read 24 and do the same.

Let us know what happens
    looked for a button , could not find one . re/ read your msg and think you mean the button that brings up the readings . did not know that you can hold button down as you suggest . will try it tomorrow . let you know . thanks
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2011
    There are so many people on here that are not reading the manual. Is it age related or what. So many of these messages are useless because of that. I have read the manual and found everyone of my questions answered.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    It's probably just a case of people not being able to find what they're looking for. If someone knows where a downloadable copy of the 2011 manual may be found, it would be far easier to download it and search the file for what you want.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I believe you can get the manual (free) on toyota.com, but you have to create an account there first.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Ok folks. So what is the K rating of the stock Toyota HID bulbs? I (anyone) can get some 6,000K replacement bulbs for $175.00 a pair, which is 50% less then the dealer price. I'd like to get some brighter bulbs if they are available.

I'm getting the stock bulbs are 4,000 K, no, there 6,000 k É what in hell are they, and are there brighter bulbs available and where?

Skip
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Factory HID bulbs are ~4300K in colour, nothing to do with brightness unless you have human vision. Ebay has replacement bulbs for as little as $25.

If you don't have projector lense then that upgrade would yield the best "brightness" result. There are 50W hid bulbs/ballast available but the difference isn't really outstanding.
    your right , i hit the button and the 22 now reads 26/4 the dashes still there the 24 now reads 28 mph i saw nothing relative to this set up in the book and i read it 3 times . guess i must read again . seems strange that the one # reads mph as opposed to mpg . enlighten me on this please . thank you for your input 6 more months and i may find out most things . still find the car has way too many gadgets .
    This mph is your average speed since you reset it. This is located on page 2-2 of the online manual. I assume it's the same as the one in the cars.
    Thank you.

I'm looking at some 6,000 K bulbs from:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/d4rhidbulbs.html

Any thoughts on these or this company?
    There is no advantage to 6000K other than letting oncoming drivers know you have non-factory HIDs.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    I am trying to sink the contacts from my iphone to the NAV system. When I start the car the screen shows the phone has conected. When I go to Phone Settings > Phonebook > Manage Contacts the screen shows "1000 of 1000 free". Then I hit Transfer Contacts. I have about 800 contacts to load. When it is done loading not all contacts loaded and the screen shows "0 of 1000 free". Many of the contacts are listed twice with identical info. I could go through and delete the duplicates but that won't solve my problem of getting all 800 contacts into the NAV system.
    Any ideas?
    Tony
  • marco33marco33 Member Posts: 15
    iamknott,

Well, I now know the problem. The "lump" in my case (Avalon Limited) is a small rigid plastic air plenum that connects seat bottom to the flexible air hose coming from the blower motor for cooled seats. The plastic plenum is a "connector" ( somewhat similar to the end of a garden hose) that directs cool air into a hole in the seat bottom padding. There are built in air ducts in the seat pad that direct air through the holes in the leather. What I am feeling is that rigid plastic "connector". I have asked the dealership to remove that plastic piece, as I don't care about cooled seats. But so far no luck. No one wants to touch it!

Really too bad this is happening, as in my case, my wife and I LOVE the Limited and that is the ONLY reason we are going through all this aggravation with dealership and Toyota HQ.

Good idea on the after market seat pad....I am thinking about that, as I really don't want another car. But it does seem kind of ridiculous to have to do that on a "luxury" car to get comfortable! Agree its better than loosing thousands on the car. This generation of Avalon is not due for a total re-design until 2013, so I am hopeful Toyota will fix it in their upcoming 2012 model, and simultaneously offer a retro-fix for previous models. we'll see...
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    We haven't driven our 2011 Avalon but 3500 miles (parked it this winter). Wife drove 3200 miles of it on a family trip which I wasn't on.

If I have a problem with the comfort of the seats I would take them to a seat place and have them redo the drivers seat to fit me. Lots cheaper than a new car. I had a friend that did his pickup truck seats that way and they seemed good.

The best seat I have found was in a BMW 700 LI, they sure have the seats but I didn't like how busy the interior was.
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    I've had no end of problems on my base model Avalon wipers. They skate across the windshield. The dealer replaced the blades the first time it happened. With the first rain it happened again, on the passenger side only. The drivers side worked fine. Dealer then replaced the arm, worked OK thru a couple of rains. Came home Saturday morning in the rain, 125 miles, and both wipers skated. Toyota must have gotten a bunch of faulty arms, which don't put enough pressure on the windshield. With the windshield dry they work as intended, quietly. The minute it gets wet there's not sufficient friction for the wipers to flip over. I had proof of this as I was stopped under an overpass by a redlight, blocking the rain, and the wipers worked fine until the lite changed and the windshield got wet again!
    Install a set of Bosch Evolution wipers.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    Took a 700 mile trip recently. We got 28.2 MPG first fill up and 24.6 the second. On the way home I drove the car very hard. I needed to get home fast so it was necessary. Car was loaded with 3 grownup. Heavy grown ups and plenty of luggage. :)

I did drive in rain. (A little) My blades did the skipping some of the time. I've seen this before in other cars. I THINK my skips when there is less rain but I can honestly say for sure. I will certainly take note from now on. Thanks for all the information.
    Did this help?
    Gramz showed me how to reset the MPG. It works, just like he said. It's not completely accurate but works.
    That was a suggestion for those with the wiper problem.
    Ok, so I'm going to buy a new, maybe used (Lexus LS460), so what's a guy to do.

New 2011 Avalon Limited in Pearl White (Dealers given me a good deal on this color)
    Spend a bit more and get a new 2011 Avalon in Crimson Mica with Nav and up-graded sound system. ***Is the Nav any better then earlier models? I believe I read several posts with people not happy with their Nav system?

Is the up-graded radio a big deal? If I'm not mistaken, it goes from a 6 CD changer to a 4?

OR

A 2007 Lexus LS 460 with 42,000 miles owned by a local business women, who gets chaffered in in, and yes the car looks like brand new, but it is used, and is about $3,000.00 less money.

I put on 30,000+- miles a year, so next year the car will have 75, 80,000 miles on it?

Damn I hate being in this position.

New Avalon (and which model) or Used Lexus?

Warranty or not.

Miles or not?

Cost of ownership?

Ok folks, so weight in with your 2 cents worth É please.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    With the miles you put on I honestly would go for the Avalon. First of all you will save a little bit on gas as the Avalon would do a little better in that department. Second you will have a warranty which is always nice on a 30K+ purchase. Third, where do you live? The Avalon being FWD may be a little better in the snow than the LS (RWD). Finally the Avalon is four years newer and after you are done with it could be worth a little more than the LS.

As for the upgraded stereo, I think all Limiteds get the JBL unit. The NAV system has the same stereo, it just looses some disc capacity. The reason I am assuming is for the NAV disc/drive.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    Strictly from a numbers point of view. If you keep a car for 150,000 miles, and I assume you pay $34,000 for the Avalon then the Avalon miles are worth $0.23 per mile (with no consideration for trade-in value). The 42,000 miles on the Lexus would have a comparable Avalon value of $9,660 (this value goes up if you trade at lower miles). Therefore the numbers say buy the Avalon.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I love the upgraded sound and new NAV. There are a few things to get used to; however, it is much better than the previous gen.

Go for the Avy. In the long run, not only do the numbers work out better, as pointed out (including resale), you will be pleased overall with the vehicle and glad you got almost the same level of luxury for much less.
    Anyone here have a 2011 that also had the previously generation (05-10?). I am curious as to how the ride/handling/performance compare. It appears to me that everything is largely the same. I was just curious.

For a little background I had an 06 XLS that when it came off lease I replaced it with an 09 Genesis (that I now HATE the ride in). In a year when it comes time to turn that in I may look at an Avalon again.

Asked and answered elsewhere...

LS...!!
    $3,000 for 42,000 miles. Now that's a deal I would buy anytime.

I haven't owned a Lexus but my BIL has one and after driving mine he's of the opinion that they are overrated.
    edited May 2011
    Yes, the forward weight bias of the FWD Avalon will often result in getting the car initially up and going on a slippery surface vs an equivalent weight RWD vehicle. But the "advantage" stops right there.

What you must consider is that once you are up and going, underway, on that same slippery surface the "safety" equation reverses. On a questionable traction surface FWD vehicles have a tendency to "plow", understear, whereas a RWD vehicle will have a tendency for skidding, swapping ends, "over-steering".

So, why do you care...?

When a FWD vehicle begins to "plow" you have lost ALL control.

VSC, if you have it, will likely begin braking the rear wheels in an effort to slow the vehicle to the point that enough roadbed adhesion is regained that directional control returns. Absent VSC you might try lightly applying the rear implemented e-brake to the same effect.

Note: Lifting the gas pedal, a common human instinctive reaction in this situation, is oftentimes the EXACT wrong thing to do. Completely lifting the gas pedal will result in the front wheels shifting into BRAKING mode, and having already lost traction that action, instinctive action, might well exacerbate the situation.

RWD WILL be subject to skidding, swapping ends, over-stearing, either on a slippery roadbed or if too much engine torque is applied for roadbed conditions. VSC, if you have it, will begin braking the "outside" (outside of the turn radius) front wheel so as to "nip" the skid in the "bud", as it were.

Absent VSC all the driver need do is slightly counter-steer while also, simultaneously, lifting the gas pedal slightly. For most drivers this quickly becomes an instinctive reaction.

So, buy the Avalon and risk life and limb, or drive the LS in safety, comfort, and QUIET.

Your choice.
    edited May 2011
    "Overrated" as opposed to WHAT..??

Overpriced (showroom) in comparison, CERTAINLY, ABSOLUTELY.....!

But that overpricing is a direct result of the inverse of being overrated.
    edited May 2011
    Nav..Stereo...??!!!

You're buying a CAR...!

I would never again buy a CAPTIVE GPS/Nav system, portable NAV systems are so much better on ALL points. My '01 F/awd RX300 GPS/Nav, $3,000 option, disk, after 2 $300 updates, remains constantly EJECTED.

Stereo..?

Aftermarket fix, if required, is just too inexpensive to consider the factory one as a purchase "grading" point. The fidelity, overall viability, of the BASE LS sound system is unquestioned, unquestionable.
    With FWD you are simply less likely to get stuck than with RWD (all things being equal, all season tires). If you apply the same safe driving procedures the FWD is no more dangerous in the slick conditions than the RWD car.

Having said that, RWD does have its advantages but winter weather driving isn't one of them.

"..If you apply the same safe driving procedures.."

But that would mean leaving my 4WD (R/awd) Ford Aerostar safely in the garage alongside my '01 F/awd RX300 during foul wintertime weather...

Not an option.
    The Avalon would be a better choice in my opinion. Price of premium gas over regular unleaded. Lexus probably is a better car. Unless you're looking to impress your neighbor. Heck by my Avalon for 34.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I have an LS460, and love it. I'm very familiar with the Avalon, and love those as well. Besides the huge price difference, the differences are many. Drive train totally opposite, engine completely different, more amenities available in the Lexus, but many are still available in the Avalon. If money is no object, get the Lexus. If value is the goal, definitely get the Avalon. You get quite a bit more with the Lexus, but I don't know if you get twice as much more...know what I mean? A good compromise, is the Lexus ES350. It's basically an Avalon in Lexus clothes. Priced between the two, has the panache of the Lexus, with the value closer to the Avalon. That's my recommendation.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    edited May 2011
    If you like choclate chip cookies while you get an oil change, buy the Lexus. Toyota serves coffee only after the cheap doughnuts run out at about 8:15 in the wait room. A Lexus will also impress the neighbors. If saving money means anything I would try the Avalon, the Lexus is out of warranty soon (probably) and they cost a fortune to fix not to mention the 2007 was the infamous "first year" for the LS460.

Honestly, these are two very different cars and both should be winners if taken care of. As posted above, weather may play a role here as would dealer accessability. The Lexus is also tight inside for such a large exterior. We looked at them both in 2007, went for an Avalon instead, better value for us. Tough choice, this is the only car I can think of that rides better than an Avalon (ES350 is too soft for me)......... let us know the result!
    If gas price, premium vs regular, is an issue the LS will run perfectly fine on regular. Modern day engine control systems use the crank position sensor to determine which correction action is required once knock/ping is detected. Detonation prior to spark ignition and EFI dutycycle will be adjusted to provide slight mixture enrichment. Detonation with or subsequent to spark ignition and the timing might be retarded.
    edited May 2011
    The ES350 is nothing more than a "spiffed up" Toyota Camry, NOT an Avalon.

The Camry/ES is also FWD.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Avalon except for it being FWD, putting life and limb at risk in wintertime adverse, slippery, roadbed conditions.
    Yes, the Lexus will likely cost a fortune to fix, when and/or if it fails. A very rare event IMMHO.

I know of 3 LS400s, a 91 (brother), a 92 (mine), and a 95 (marketing mgr), all well beyond 200,000 miles and NEVER been back to Lexus, or elsewhere, for repair.

I NEVER use the local Lexus dealer for anything but parts purchase and whenever I do that I always stop by the coffee machine for a StarBucks Latte.

That being said I am on record as fully expecting the transaxle to fail prior to 100,000 miles due to a design flaw in my '01 F/awd RX300. But that will be a DIY effort and the RX will be converted to R/awd in the process.

80,000 plus miles and counting.

So I would advise that NO ONE purchase an RX300. RX330 adopted DBW to alleviate the problems arising from the design flaw but that resulted in other issues, intangible issues.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I had a 2005 Avalon Ltd that I bought new and traded in on a 2011 Avalon Ltd. The 2011 is superior in all respects than my 2005. Better milage, better ride, much quieter.
    For those who own a 2011 this is great news. I've always wondered how this 2011 stacks up against earlier years. I traded a 2000 Avalon in on my 11. The steering on my 2000 was easier. It seems Toyota has change the steering method. Besides that I didn't own my 2000 long enough to compare. I had electrical problems with that car. Again thanks for sharing,
    Well I hemmed and all, but ended up with the 2011 Avalon, and so far - love it.

I'd really like to get matching floor mats though:('

I got the Red with creme colored interior and well, black mats just don't do it for me.

Now I'm thinking I'll get the dealer to order some tan that are available for 2011's, and swap with them.

Other then that, I've only gone 5 miles so way to hard / early to say what I like or don't like over my 2008 Touring Model Avalon.

Skip

PS In case you are wondering, it did weight heavy in my discussion - that the dealer just purchased $8,000.00 + in promotional products and print matter.
    Congrats! If you can, post up a pic or two!

As for the black mats, go on Ebay and grab the ivory set for a 05-10 Avalon. I don't believe they have changed at all.

I'd post a picture if I could see how?

Ok, so I'll post on my fliker account.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/

Once we have a sunny day, I'll get more photo's of the car, and maybe even a cool one or two.

Skip
    Very Nice, I hope you don't mind, but I'll put it up for others to see.

Not at all. Thanks.

I hope to spend some time with the car and my camera and see if I can get something just a bit different to the coming days.