Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• far008far008 Member Posts: 1
    I bought AVALON 2005 LIMITED last yr....and i faced the problem in a month which was the traction off... place where i live is gets too much snow in winter...and the only problem in avalon is tht there is no TRACTION OFF switch...can any one help me out with this so i can turn off the traction in next winters :)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited August 2011

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your Avalon is FWD, FWD vehicles can turn HAZARDOUS in an INSTANT in slippery conditions. Granted, you may need to switch it off in certain wintertime conditions, but only briefly, during the "event", not totally nor completely.

A continuously active traction control system, or even VSC, can prevent a serious accident, even save you life.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    I notice the other day I picked up speed coming down an on ramp. I was trying to catch another car. Our Avalon reached over 100 MPG easy. HOWEVER as I turned to get on the HWY, I could feel the weight switch. This car, with the power it has really needs to be RWD. I was very surprised to see bad handling of this car, yet I know I shouldn't be. I guess I expected this car to hold the road like my 1996 Impala SS.

I still love the car (Avalon) and that was an unusal situation. It's just it's not RWD and I should watch the curves as such a high speed. I assume I was going about 110.
    Yes, when lateral corrections or inputs are to be made it is definitely best to not have driving or braking (ABS) forces at the front.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Keyless entry. Really dislike not being able to leave my car running and lock the door. We have some really cold weather and it's nice to be able to let the car warm up with the doors locked.

I'm with you on this. My Lexus is the same, here though, it's HOT days, like to leave the A/C on and lock the door. I can do it on my other cars, but not these.
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    I visited with my Toyota Dealer a week ago. He was all excited about the newly designed Avalon that he saw at the Dealers show in Los Vegas. He wasn't allowed to take pictures. He said it's totaly redesigned and absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to get a glimpse of it. I have the 2011 Avalon that I love and don't want to sell it. But it all depends on what they bring out later this year in 2011 (Nov/Dec) for the new 2012/2013 Avalon.
    At least this is what he told me.
    edited August 2011
    I have read that the 2012 Avalon will be a mirror image of the 2011. This article seemed reliable. I read this article some time back. I suspect they will change some cosmetics but besides that I don't see them changing much this soon.

I did do some research and found the article below. The article says the front end has changed some. Do YOU, see enough change to upgrade to a 2012? I certainly don't. Here is a good site to view the 2012, thanks,

http://www.2012toyotaavalon.com/
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, YES, I can't hear the clicking, ONLY with the door open and only in the garage. With the radio on NO noise at all. :) The dealer said it's the way the motor is made and NOT to worry. It's very minor and ONLY happened after a very hard drive. My car did NOT over heat, and ran really good. VERY fast, my only complaint was front wheel drive showed up on a few curves going over 100 mph maybe faster. I guess that's normal. Still LOVE the car and the MPG.

Check out 2012 changes: http://www.2012toyotaavalon.com/

For those interested.

2012 Toyota Avalon 20/29 mpg (/ highway city) with a degree, the size and price among the most fuel-efficient V-6-powered cars and 2012 Avalon will continue to use regular octane gasoline.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Looking at the linked website... it appears to have been done by a non-native english speaker. Errors in language abound... and the specs of 16 and even 15 inch wheels are absurd as is the referenced engine size. Aside from those errors, and others, nice looking car. I still prefer the 2007 body overall but change happens and 2012 does look more "sporty" and modern I guess. Hope the quality stays up, I might be tempted, but 78k and no problems on the '07 makes buying a new one a difficult choice. Enjoy your Avalons all, great cars. :)
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    edited August 2011
    Interesting as Car and Driver reported no changes to the US Avalon. We shall see, since they just did the minor cosmetic changes for 2011. Makes more sense that they'd leave it alone for a year or two and then make the major change..... :)
    edited August 2011
    I guess I should read things closer. All I noticed was the front seemed to have more of a point. I did notice the writer to say 16" alloy wheels was an option. I'm not sure but I think my 11 has 17" wheels.

We all know anyone can create a website. All I know for sure was the article I read some time back said 2012 will be a mirror of the 2011. This web site is NOT the same article.

This article reads 2012 Toyota Avalon Specifications

Engine
    3.0L displacement double overhead cam (DOHC)
    V6 cylinder configuration gas engine
    24 valves variable valve timing
    210 hp @ 5800 rpm 220 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
    premium unleaded fuel

I believe this to be wrong. In fact I did a little research and know it is. Here is a much better site: http://carreleasedates.com/2012-toyota-avalon/

78K............ barley broke in........depending on your driving habits of course. I am curious if you bought any tires and what kind? I assume you have. I too, like the 2007 body style. I like the interior, almost like riding in cot pit of a plane.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    All the car magazines say the 2012 is virtually identical; no changes! Thanks
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Interesting article about the ALL NEW Avalon?

- http://www.toyotainthenews.com/next-gen-toyota-avalon/

Skip
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    Nan48. The General Sales Manager told me about the redesign. I've been doing business with him for over 13 years, he's never lied to me. He was really bowled over by the new Avalon and just wanted me to know. It's kept highly secret he said until they unviel it. I've never seen him so enthused so now I can't wait to see it. I also thought it might be a couple of more years for a redesign since the minor face lift of the 2011.

I'm aware of all the articles out there that didn't give a hint of a totaly redesined Avalon, so this revealing to me out of the blue while visiting with the dealer caught me by surprise. But if you google Los Vegas show for Dealers regarding Toyota Avalon, you will see some sparse articles regarding this. Now it's a waiting game.

From one of the articles. "With regards to the much-awaited Avalon, Toyota announced that it will arrive in the fall of 2012. Last June, dealerships that attended the national meeting in Las Vegas became even more excited about the Avalon rather than the Camry. The Avalon’s styling is inspired by the Audi A7, Jaguar XJ and the Lexus lines, says Autonews. The Avalon will retain the 3.5-liter V-6 engine but its handling will be enhanced." http://www.flxmedia.com/2013-toyota-avalon-shown-to-dealers-will-look-like-audi-- a7-and-jaguar-xj/
    That ad lead me to the 2012 Opel Ampera
    "..handling will be enhanced.."

RWD...maybe..?
    I thought about the concept of RWD. Personally I think it would be great. However with Lexus having RWD then I ruled it out. Now I have NOT checked for sure if all Lexus' have RWD but I only assume they do. GS350 for example, I ASSUME has RWD.

Like I said it sure would be nice. I believe the off set would be MPG. Handling would improve, this is for sure. We have a lot of weight on our FWD Avalon's.

Here's a good site for the 2013 GS350, actually the car has AWD. Amazing. Toyota, always a step a head of the others.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/08/2013-lexus-gs-350-first-look.html
    The 2011 is almost history so here is a site that claims to show the 2012..... maybe...

http://iguida.com/2012-toyota-avalon

Looks like the same car to me.... :)
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Not real sure what's going on but I bought my 2011 the end of May 2010 and they had no 2010s on the lot and said they weren't any available.

Here it is almost September and this same dealer has a lot of 2011s available and no 2012s.

Makes a person wonder?
    I agree, most sites I've looked at seem to show almost the same car. Everyone knows they (the dealers) have to make the 2012's look more exciting and perhaps better.

Now the Lexus seem to change. I haven't checked the specs but I like the option of AWD. That's really a nice feature. The offset is the 19-26 MPG.

For me the MPG means a lot. The weather here in Southern Ga. - SC line is very mild.

If anyone spots a 2012 Avalon on a lot please let us know. Thanks!
    edited August 2011
    I read what you put up skip. Here is a quote:

The next-generation Toyota Avalon isn’t due to hit showrooms until fall of 2012, but when it does it will likely be worth the wait.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    The car might be a 2013 model. You can designate a car as a 2013 model as long as you don't sell it before March 1, 2012. I'm thinking about a 2012 Avalon, but now I'm curious enough to wait.

Has anyone with a 2011 Avalon tried plugging in a Flash Drive into the USB port to see if you can stream your music through the car's sound system? If it works, it's alot cheaper than an Ipod as a 4 gb Flash drive sells for about $10 at Best Buy. No charging required, unlike an Ipod. Can you shuffle the music files with it?
    That's a great question and one I would like to know also.
  • jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    We purchased a 2011 Toyota Avalon XL recently. I noticed that the tires are 215 60R 16's and the sticker inside the driver's side door matches the tires. Looking in the manual, on line at toyota.com, and researching onthe internet, it states that both trims are supposed to have 17" wheels.

Any thoughts on why?

Thanks.
    That 16" tire size was standard on the 2010 Avalon XL, all the other lines had 17" tires. Apparently your 2011 XL also came with 16's, might have been an early model year built car so they used the 16's on all the XL's till they ran out (guessing). Most websites show only 17" tires for all 2011's, you are correct. Others may have more ideas, but if the door sticker matches, it came from the factory that way I would assume...... hope this helps.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    2011 Avalon Limited, 1 year old now with 5500 miles. Just took a trip with 4 adults and luggage. Drove pretty consistently around 75 mph to 80 mph. Milage down 30.6 mpg and milage back home 31.8 mpg.

Pretty damn good for a car this size.
    edited September 2011
    Is that milage figured by the computer, or MPG figured by hand? I'm asked because my actual milage was/is off from computer by 2 MPG from my computer. The dealer said yesterday they found one tire was 6 pounds under pressure. I took it in because it was pulling to the left. YES, my low tire warning light was on but I didn't know for sure what it was. So my MPG might go up some now and maybe match what my computer says I'm getting. I get around 28 on trips with 2 adults, fully loaded truck. I have got higher around 31 and of course lower. Depending on my driving habits. Like you said , EXCELLENT MPG for this big car. Thanks for the information, keeps us all updated. I have 11 thousand on my Avalon as of today and I love driving it. ESPECIALLY on trips. :)
    I just had lunch with my local Toyota dealer who said "Man the new Avalon is simply stunning". "the one they showed was a very pretty Red with creme and walnut interior". "I think it looks most like the new Jaguar, but only a little, in the sense of looking like another car".

He went on to say, he thought it was the biggest change in any toyota in many, many years, and that if this is what the Avalon is going to look like, then he couldn't image what the new LS 510 was going to look like.

He also said that it WAS a car, and not a model, and that he would order one like the one he saw - for me, as he knew I'd likely want one:)

He didn't think there would be any or many photo's of it, for 6-8 months or so. They could take any electronic gear into the meeting when the saw the car:(

Skip
    edited September 2011
    2012 Dode Diesel's are out. Other 2012 cars are out. I've checked and checked and all I can find is a 2012 Avalon that looks very much like the 2011. Plus the articles I've read said it's a mirror image of the 2011. Pehaps your salesman wants you to get excited.

Now if you have NOT bought an Avalon then wait for the 2012, simply for value purpose. Just my thoughts. See post notes others have posted. No WAY will they wait 6 or 7 months to pull a 2012 Avalon out. AGAIN my thoughts.

Bill
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I would be glad to have 16" tires. My neighbor just replaced an unrepairable OE 17" tire on his vehicle. It was about $250. I think that comes to about $1000 for a replacement set of four for these new vehicles!

The last set of premium 16" tires that I bought was about $600.
    the 2012 is out and has been out for quite sometime and they are just like thge 2011. you must be referring to the 2013.
    Yes, in fact it will likely be a 2013 as they aren't announcing until the fall of 2012.

This I knew and should have better stated É sorry.

Skip
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I don't see how the 2012's can be out and yet Toyota.com doesn't show them. In fact, the Toyota Pressroom site shows only the Camry, Yaris, Tacoma as being out in 2012 models. You'll definitely have to wait to see a 2012 Avalon.
    edited September 2011
    I've seen this ridiculous "review" before. If it were really a review of the Avalon, it would have been written by English-speakers since the Avalon is a US-made car. Do you really think that Toyota is bringing back the Touring model? Look at the specs: 210 HP?, 15 inch wheels? cassette player!!! This looks as if it were the weekend project of some 5th graders playing with the internet! The main point is that if the 2012 Avalon is anywhere near production, you wouldn't be seeing any new 2011's arriving from the manufacturer as they would have to have ceased production in order to produce the 2012's. But, they're still delivering 2011's so the 2012 is a long, long way off.

See for years and models by year: http://pressroom.toyota.com/press_kit_index.cfm?pkYear=2012&prod_brand_id=1
    Not sure what to say. I looked at what I thought were 2012s, The sticker in the window said 2012, however I could not see any difference in them and my 2011. I looked at two different ones and both of them had 2012 on the sticker. This was the only reason for me to believe there were 2012s
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    The car magazines say the 2012 Avalons are almost identical to the 2011!
    edited September 2011
    It's probably a 2012. After all they can't change the vin number. Like I stated, "they say the 2012 is a mirror image of the 2011". Personally I have not looked. I suspect there might be a little change. NOW the 2013 might change. I'm guessing you could buy a 2011 a lot cheaper than the 2012. If so I would buy the 2011 because of money. NOW the 2012 will be worth more money because a newer year. Of course this goes without saying.
    If you saw Avalons at the dealer and they had stickers that said they were 2012 models, I'd ask the dealer how they can display models that Toyota has yet to release.
    I COULD be wrong (but I doubt it :blush: ), but the cars computer can likely measure your MPG at least as accurately, if not moreso, than you can manually. The variable is always exactly how full the full tank is. Either way you figure it.
    I believe over a period of time the computer is more accurate. I've not reset my since I bought it and it reads 27.6. I check each tank manually and it varies a lot but after 21,000 miles the manual calculation is within .2 mpg of the computer. I always set the pump handle on the second notch and when it shut off I stop. I think the pressure the gas is delivered probably affect this somewhat.

I'll go with the computer.
    No, I'll stick with my figures. I HOPE I am wrong. I fill up the same way every time. First click off then I add no more gas. I reset the computer every time and it's always off about 2 MPG, a little less but NEVER more than 2. I know every fill up checked by hand will not be the same. I hope I'm wrong.

HOWEVER with that said, I test drove a Ford Truck today with a Lance camper. The Ford truck has a 6.0 engine with a 4.10 rear end. The lance camper weights about 38 hundred pounds. Now this truck is a dually and again I'll remind you it has a 4.10 rear end. Automatic. THE COMPUTER on this "King Ranch Ford" said it was getting 16.2 MPG. The man said he figures he gets around 13.5 hauling. 16 empty. So is this computer off? You would have to understand how these campers cut down on gas milage. NOT just the weight but wind resistance. Hope this helps. This was a 2006 model. Here's the camper:

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/listing/2005-Lance-921-99223180
    No, I'll stick with my figures. I HOPE I am wrong. I fill up the same way every time. First click off then I add no more gas. I reset the computer every time and it's always off about 2 MPG, a little less but NEVER more than 2. I know every fill up checked by hand will not be the same. I hope I'm wrong.

HOWEVER with that said, I test drove a Ford Truck today with a Lance camper. The Ford truck has a 6.0 engine with a 4.10 rear end. The lance camper weights about 38 hundred pounds. Now this truck is a dually and again I'll remind you it has a 4.10 rear end. Automatic. THE COMPUTER on this "King Ranch Ford" said it was getting 16.2 MPG. The man said he figures he gets around 13.5 hauling. 16 empty. So is this computer off? You would have to understand how these campers cut down on gas milage. NOT just the weight but wind resistance. Hope this helps. This was a 2006 model. Here's the camper:

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/listing/2005-Lance-921-99223180
    Do you always use the same gas pump? If not, your hand calculations are not likely right, while a long term computer figure is bound to be very accurate. Tank to tank measurements are subject to wide variations, with either method.
    NO, I do not use the same pump. :)
    edited September 2011
    I took my 30 year old son for his first test drive in my Avalon. I showed him the power in the machine. He was so impressed and asked what kind of engine was in it. I could see him grap on. Boy this cars are fast. REALLY fast. I didn't even use the speed shift. I explain I think the speed was in the torque and I believe the transmission has a lot to do with the speed.

I explain the beauty wasn't only the speed but the MPG and the room. LOOK at the back seat. I did explain this car weights almost 3,600 hundred pounds. He found that hard to believe.

After a long drive back from our visit. My computer said I was getting 33.4 MPG on the HWY. Driving at 60, two people, no luggage. Come on folks, is this car that good? Today, it reads 31.9 but I'm back to country driving. Country/city, help me out here.

12 thousand miles on the car as of today, I keep a log of all fill ups and from now on I will show MY FIGURES plus the computer MPG.
    Last trip, average 29.7 on computer, my figures was 29.1, this time same pump, long HWY miles, two people, hills, packed with lugage. 12,700 on car, pretty darn good with the kitchen sink in the back. Wife takes EVERYTHING!
    Ok, I know in the past the Toyota Electric Start kit was not highly recommended, is the one for the 2011 any better?

If folks are going with aftermarket, is there one that seems to work best?

Skip