Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Hey Berg, I know a couple of guys who use the Garmin or Tom-Tom instead of the factory Navi; what's your opinion on that?
  • bergaminibergamini Posts: 45
    For $4K, I'm seriously considering it. But I really, really, really want the built-in Nav with the touchscreen. Maybe I should wait for the prices to drop on the '11. What have people seen on that historically?
    I should probably post this in Prices Paid but nobody is responding there. Here's where my dealership is at:

'11 LTD with Nav: MSRP $37,884 / Sale $35,199
    '11 Avalon with Nav & Heated: MSRP $35,984 / Sale $33,443
    '10 XLS with Nav: MSRP $36,934 / Sale $29,333
    '10 LTD with Nav: MSRP $39,134 / Sale $31,325

The Sale prices are their bottom line w/delivery but w/o taxes. Toyota isn't apparently making the '11 "Avalon class" with the Nav but WITHOUT the heated seats package. You have to get the heated seats package if you want the Nav.

I told them if they could get either of the '11's within $3300 of the comparable '10, I would buy the '11 now, otherwise I will wait. I figure that $2K more for the newer body style and $1.3K more for the updated features is worth it to me. We shall see.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I have to think that with the 2K price difference the 2011 may be the way to go. It will hold its value a little better and you will have a new model versus one that dates back to 05 (even thought the nuts and bolts of the 2011 are unchanged). One thing to note is that the 2010 is a little over a thousand more MSRP. What is the 2011 missing that the 2010 has? I am sure laser cruise is one but I think thats only a $600 option.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I compared an '04 vs. an '05 on Edmunds Appraise Your Car ("true pricing") and, with the same options, the '04 was worth anywhere from $2200 (Trade) to $2600 (Dealer) less than the identically equipped '05. Assuming that ratio holds true between the '10 and '11 for the length of time I keep my car and the miles I drive, I'm willing to pay the $700-1100 TRUE extra cost for the '11 based on my feature demands. This means I'm paying $3300 more now but the value, when I sell or trade it in 6 years looks to be about $2200 to $2600 more, so the real cost then is only $700-$1100 and that is worth it to me.
    I didn't even think of that. The '11 Base with Nav/Heated is only $2K more than the '10 LTD with Nav. The only feature that I'd be willing to pay more for in the LTD is the auto-wipers, they are slick. Hmmm.....
    Alright, I put down a deposit on an '11 LTD in Zephyr Blue with Light Grey, pre-tax final price was $34,500 and I'm A-OK with that. Thanks for all the input.
  • cmb08cmb08 Posts: 24
    Did they tell you how long it would be before the 2011's come into the showroom?
    Glad you got the price you are happy with! I haven't asked for any quotes for 2011s, but your 2010 LTD (loaded...NAV, DYNAMIC CRUISE, 8 WAY PASSENGER LUMBAR, FLOOR MATS...) quote is consistent here in California.

Am planning on going down to pick up my 2010 LTD today.
    I definitely decided I am willing to give up the upgraded NAV for the reduced price. I'm not the techie you are :-) My spouse doesn't even want NAV...so this works out to be a good compromise.
    Let us all know how you like the 2011!
  • deadpooldeadpool Posts: 6
    Ok, just read through the whole thread. A few things to ask/comment on.

I got a 2010 Avalon XLS loaner while my Camry was getting the warranty work done. Really liked the ride of the car. It was just pure comfort. Someone asked about seat comfort. After a hour behind the wheel I did notice some discomfort in the middle of my back. I chalked it up to not having enough time to mess around with the seat adjustments. I'm not sure if it was a bar or not but I wish I had read this topic before giving the car back. Anyway, the wife and I liked everything else about the car.

Has anyone compared the ride of the Avalon to the Chevy Impala or Chrysler 300? I've never driven the 300 but the Impala rides pretty good.

For 2011 it looks like the base model has the better looking rims of the 2 models IMO. I would spring for the Limited but would like the base rims. Maybe I will be able to swap them if I decide to get the Avalon.

I'm looking forward to the 2011. It looks like the upgrades will be great. I look forward to driving one and will give the seats a good examination.
    I hope both of you are happy with your new cars, and they treat you well.
    Did you get your '10? They told me to expect my '11 the first or second week of April.
  • iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    A couple weeks ago, I promised to write about my impressions of the '11 Avalon after the car show came to town. Well, the show came, but the '11 Avalon did not. :mad:

Nevertheless, here are some random observations:

Toyota had one of the largest exhibit spaces and certainly the largest staff, some or all of whom were from out of town. There were singers, survey takers, and giveaways. Image rebuilding in progress?

I sat in the front and back seats of several competing brands. I am convinced that the Avalon offers more room and comfort than anything else costing less than $60,000. The Acura RL had the best leather and a very comfortable driver's seat, but it doesn't have the Avalon's backseat room.

Tall people should never get into the backseat of C- or E-series M-Bs because they may not be able to get out.

The Lexus folks had the sound systems enabled, but locked into XM's rap music channel. "Hello, Tech Support? We have a marketing emergency down here at the car show."

The shiny plastic woodgrain that so many of you are critical of appears to be commonplace in all cars regardless of price range, although the Rolls and Bentley were roped off to keep the commoners at bay.

How much does Ugly cost? In the case of the Lincoln MKX, it starts at $38,845.
  • manatoc5manatoc5 Posts: 19
    I will say it one more time, I actually sat in the front and back seat of the 2011 Avalon at the Cleveland, Ohio auto show in February. Even though the 2011 brochure says the headroom is the same, I am telling you they have decreased it front and back.
    Now for a person like me that is 6'3 1/2" tall and I have a brother 6'5", that is important and significant. If you are 6' or less it may mean nothing. It is my opinion that the specs are wrong. I owned a 2005 Avalon and I know what the headroom should be. Toyota decreased the headroom in the Camry when they redesigned it,
    and now in the Corolla and again I believe in the 2011 Avalon. That is the reason they are getting 1 mpg better in city driving, because the engine and every thing else is the same except less headroom, which means less weight, more mpg. But people are snatching up the last 2010 Avalons and I bought the last limited on my dealers lot that was fully loaded and I pick it up Wednesday.
    That's a funny post Knott. Any of the Toy staff have tight fitting outfits that kept you awake at night? Rap music at the Lexus display! Maybe they're also targeting a new demographic. The new car show is coming to Denver the first week of April, I'm thinking of going.

Manat, can I ask the MSRP and your final purchase price? On the 'net I see lots of models still in dealers' inventory, except in Colorado. Where did you buy your '10? The headroom issue is troubling to me because my grandkids are above 6' going up to 6'4"; I'm tall and don't like the idea of the roof being only an inch away.

Thanks for your updates everyone.
  • iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    manatoc,

You will note that I said the '11 Avalon was not at the car show. When I said that the Avalon provided more room than anything under $60,000., I meant room for all your body parts, not specifically headroom, and my comment was based on the 2007-2010 Avalons with which I am familiar.

You may be right about the '11's headroom, but we would be grateful if you would answer the question we asked you previously: When you sat in the '11 Avalon, were you able to adjust the driver's seat? If so, did you move it all the way back and down?

Thanks and I'm sure you will enjoy your new '10.
  • cmb08cmb08 Posts: 24
    Yes I did pick up the 2010 Avalon Ltd on Saturday!
    Mine has the light gray interior too. You will like the light gray in your 2011, I'm sure.

So far so good.......the smart key seems pretty easy to get accustomed to.
    My husband is 6'3" and thinks the headroom is quite good.

Love the upgrades since our last Avalon (1999!)...so missing out on some of the features in the 2011 is pretty easy to handle :-) Great quiet, smooth ride. No regrets.

Didn't think I'd be too impressed with the cooled seats, but given that I live in a hot climate, I think I underestimated how nice they really are. It was near 80 degrees in So CA this weekend so we tried that feature out.

Will continue to check back to get your review of the 2011!

One more thing.....I was looking at the Toyota Canada website and saw that this month they are giving 5000.00 factory rebate incentives on the Avalon! What do you think of that!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Note on automobile weight: To increase city mileage by 1 mpg and attribute that to reduced weight, and nothing else, would require a reduction in excess of one hundred pounds.. and in fact someone posted that the 2011 was actually heavier than the 2010.

The only way this mpg increase can occur is to adjust the electronics or the gear ratios or both, again, as someone posted before. And it cannot be aerodynamics such as a lower roofline, if one exists, as the average city cycle speeds are too slow for aero related changes to really help mileage very much. The Avalon, great car as it is, cannot repeal the laws of automotive physics.

I am on my third Avy... best cars I have ever owned.. :)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I am on my third Avy... best cars I have ever owned

I miss my 06 so much. I don't know why I talked myself out of leasing an 09 last year. I thought I wanted something different.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Awesome cmb08, I'm glad you love it. I just got word from my dealer that my '11 will be here this week! I'm 6'1" and sit very vertically, so to speak, and will let you know my thoughts on headroom. My '04 has loads of it so I'm not concerned but we shall see. I think buying the '10 was the smarter choice unless you wanted the upgraded Nav which indeed I did. Gulp, I guess payments start next month. It has been 3+ years since I've had to deal with that! :cry:
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I emailed Toyota last week on this seat issue, and they emailed back that it is unchanged - the same as 2010?

I'd say Toyota should know, but if they do, maybe they are hiding it:)

Skip
    I wonder if there's a political committee somewhere that can check into this for us Skip. These nagging doubts are keeping me awake at night.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    It's not the doubts for me, it's the mixed messages we get. But I'm starting to wonder if this is what we can expect from Toyota for now?

I'm sure you sat in the car …
    I'm also sure it was shorter …

I'm not sure why, or why Toyota say's it's the same, if it's not?

It doesn't matter to me, as I'm only 5' 7" tall:)

And after Uncle Sam got done with me yesterday, I don't know if I'll be getting a new car now:(

Skip
    Road test , dry conditions, terrain: mix of flat and medium hills,
    60 mile run, speed: 59 mph, results: 33.7 mpg, cruise control on,

will try again with nitrogen in my tires and a K & N filter installed.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You already have ~80% nitrogen in your tires and instead of installing a K & N why not simply remove the OEM filter..??

The FE gain, if any, will be about the same or better even. You will then know the full range of FE that could be gained, but with no downside such as the MAF/IAT sensors getting contaminated with the oil wicked off of the K&N.

Oh, the only advantage to the K&N is at WOT, otherwise the throttle plate is the MAJOR restriction to intake airflow.

Do you REALLY want to extend FE..??

Mechanically block the throttle plate from opening beyond 3/4's.
    I have tried the K&N filters on other vehicles and it vastly improves take off speed. That is if you have to speed up quickly to get on the expressway or to avoid
    an accident, such as a trucker swerving into your lane that did not see you, there is a vast difference between an OEM filter and K&N.

Where can I go to verify your issue with the MAF/IAT sensors getting contaminated with oil? I would like to see some verification because my mechanic uses it in his vehicles.

sincerely

Dennis W
    edited March 2010
    OEM intake air filters are generally better than 90% efficient, average during their normal life useage. K&N has an intake efficiency more in the range of 95% before it needs to be cleaned and re-oiled.

For a 300HP engine that makes a difference of ~5%, 270HP at WOT for the OEM filter vs 285HP for the K&N

If I really felt I needed that 10% of extra "GO" I would design an intake airflow bypass system that bypassed ALL intake flow restrictions but only at WOT.

Verification = Google.
    2010 Avalon Limited , purchased in Akron, Ohio, March 2010.
    All tires filled with Nitrogen at Terry's Tire Town North Canton, Ohio.
    60 mile road test on March 31, 2010 From Tallmadge, Ohio to Lake Milton, Ohio and back on the expressway.Temperature 60, pavement dry,
    sunny day, speed 59 mph, mpg= 37.7 miles per gallon on that trip.
    mpg without nitrogen in tires on same trip loop=33.7mpg
    Sure, and I have a bridge available for cheap, or some prime swamp land in Florida if you would rather.

What was the tire pressure BEFORE inflating with nitrogen....??

60 miles --- GPS or actual map...or OBC..??

If OBC what was the tire pressure before re-inflating vs after...??

MPG via OBC, or calculation based on refilling, topping off, before and after.

~1.5 gallon refill leaves a LOT of room for fully topping off, or not.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    edited April 2010
    Interesting information....but if N made that much difference in gas mileage it would have been in car tires decades ago. This just can't happen due to N inflation. The most benefit you can expect from N is about 1 to 3 percent. There are several reasons for this but the primary one is that tires stay at a preset proper pressure longer. This minimizes rolling resistance for a greater period of time and gas mileage improves.

In this same thought pattern... Delta and other major airlines have recently begun filling all aircraft tires with Helium. The added lift saves on jet fuel..... this is true because....... ;)
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    edited April 2010
    Aircraft tires are filled with inert nitrogen to prevent explosions due to overheated brakes. A Mexicana 727 was lost out of Mexico City some years ago because they used air. Larger aircraft use fuse plugs that melt and deflate the tires in a controlled manner when the brakes overheat.