Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    cmb,

It was manatoc5 who sat in the new Avalon, not I. However, I am going to go to a car show this weekend and, if they have a new Avalon, I will post a report.
  • manatoc5manatoc5 Member Posts: 19
    Seriously, take a small tape measure and measure the distance
    from the seat to the ceiling front and back. I claim there is a difference between the 2010 and the 2011. They reduced the ceiling height, hence less metal in the car, less weight, that is why the city mpg improved with the same engine and transmission.
    1. You can go to nada.com or kbb.com and pull up pictures of the 2010 and perhaps 2011, you can also go to toyota.com and under the left side,
    they have new vehicles coming, click that tab and you will get some interior pictures of the 2011 to compare to the 2010. The whole design of the dash and front area has changed significantly, in my opinion. The wood grain is still there but the layout is different , a bit more boxy.

2. leather seat quality is the same although I did not pay a lot of attention to it.

3. Dashboard height seems to be the same

4. I am 6'3 1/2" tall, so I notice seating height changes immediately.
    This all started with the new camry design, lowering the headroom in it,
    not it is lowered in the corolla and in the Avalon.

5. If you think about it, ask yourself how did they improve city mpq? They lowered the headroom which meant less metal in the car, less weight and hence higher mpg.

I went to the Cleveland auto show and asked to be let in the car. I sat in the front and back seats.

Dennis
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    5. If you think about it, ask yourself how did they improve city mpq? They lowered the headroom which meant less metal in the car, less weight and hence higher mpg.

Well, if that were true why is the 2011 (Limited) actually 6 pounds heavier than the 2010?

2010 = 3610 lbs
    2011 = 3616 lbs

Even if it were six pounds lighter that wouldn't translate to better MPG. The better mpg was most likely due to different transmission tuning (shift logic) and/or engine tweaks.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• cmb08cmb08 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the prompt response!
    Yes, I have seen all the new photos online. It still isn't the same as seeing the car in person.
    The reason I asked about the woodgrain is because the photos make it look like the more satin finish (like in the new 2011 Toyotas like the Sienna). The woodgrain finish in the 2010 is decidedly glossy and different looking than these other 2011s'.
    Is the woodgrain finish exactly the same in 2011 as it was in 2010...........or is it different?
    Thanks!
  • bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    Have they dropped Laser Cruise on the '11 Limited? I don't see it anywhere in the new brochure or documentation.

I'm getting ready to go in and order an '11 Avalon. I'll post on the Prices Paid forum as well, but anybody have a good idea where I should start? Right now the dealership is offering me $34,600 on a base with Nav, Memory/Mirrors Package, Trunk Mat and Rear Bumper Applique. The MSRP is $36,633 so this seems not too bad. I'll post the specs at the end.

I currently have an '04 XLS and the one thing I'm going to miss on the new one is the automatic/sensing wipers. So the Limited is kind of in the equation right now but I can't justify paying thousands more for that one feature. Plus, I'm not a fan of the push-button ignition or the perforated leather. I guess the deal breaker on that for me is if the Limited had the Laser Cruise still, I'd go for it. But, I don't see it in any of the literature. I've asked my dealership and they are investigating.

I sat in the '11 Avalon at the Chicago Auto Show. It seemed to have just as much headroom. As you can tell from the photos and literature, some of the sheet metal is actually the same. I sat in a base Avalon so maybe the seats are taller in the Limited which could impact headroom, I'm not sure.

This is the one they are offering to me for $34,600:

Retail Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 32245.00 $ 32245.00
    50 State Emissions .........................
    Memory Seat and Mirrors Package: ........... 1020.00
    Driver''s Seat and Outside Mirrors Memory ...
    Systems and 8-Way Power Passenger Seat .....
    with Power Lumbar Support (Footnote: .......
    Includes Heated Seats with Variable Heat ...
    Setting) ...................................
    Navigation & Premium Audio: ................ 2350.00
    Voice-Activated Touch-Screen DVD ...........
    Navigation System with Integrated Back-Up ..
    Camera, JBL Synthesis AM/FM 4-Disc CD ......
    Changer with MP3/WMA Playback Capability, ..
    660W (Maximum Output) with 12 Speakers .....
    Including Subwoofer, XM Radio With .........
    NavTraffic (Includes 90-Day Trial ..........
    Subscription), Auxiliary Audio Jack, USB ...
    Port With iPod Connectivity, Hands-Free ....
    Phone Capability, and Music Streaming Via ..
    Bluetooth Wireless Technology ..............
    Carpet Floor Mats/Trunk Mat ................ 199.00
    Rear Bumper Applique ....................... 69.00
    --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 3638.00 $ 3638.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 750.00
    ---------
    Total .......................................: $ 36633.00
    I noticed the laser cruise was missing too. I wonder why? As for the price, its seems fair for a brand new model coming out. I would think though with the current postion Toyota is in, better deals could be had after the 2011 is out for a few months.

As for the headroom issue, I have to believe the previous poster sat in a car where the power seats were raised all the way up. Almost all dimensions are the same between the 2010/2011 and the body is not changed except for the front grill/headlights and the rear decklid.

I am sure the car will be a winner. I loved my 06 (and my 03) and now I am regretting not getting another one. I like my Genesis, but miss the ride of the Avalon.

edited March 2010
    Hi..
    Glad to help.... They have dropped the optional Laser Cruise for the 2011 Avalon. Not sure why. It may just be a marketing thing...few ordered?......keeping the loaded Avalon at a lower price point? Who knows. The only other feature I see they might have dropped is the "acoustic noise- reducing front windshield" that was featured in the 2010 Avalon Ltd. I have no idea how much difference the windshield makes... Anybody?

I would be interested to know what price they are quoting you for a 2011 LTD since it has the mirrors option as STD...and their add on Nav is only 1450.00 MSRP . I'd check that out...then you'd gain the rain sensing wipers etc. as well.
    It may come out about even.
    As for price..I'm sure you've done the Edmunds.com price quote. Since no feedback yet on what others are paying..they don't have a TMV price yet. I'd say wait until they do if you're not in a big hurry. They will probably have promotions in later months. Right now they will focus on promotions for the 2010 models.
    With regard to pricing on the 2010 LTD loaded models (NAV, LASER CRUISE, 8-WAY PASSENGER/LUMBAR, MATS--MSRP 39, 354.00) I am getting quotes at 34,600 BEFORE the 3,000.00 rebate PLUS you get the 2 Year Maint. plan if you are a previous Toyota Owner. Is the 2010 model not an option? I'd be curious to know what the deciding factor is for you.

And BTW...since you saw the interior of the 2011..can you answer my question as to whether the finish of the woodgrain interior has changed.. glossy vs. more of a satin finish?
    Yeah, I know I'm going to pay a lot more. Maybe I will wait 2-3 months. I am a previous Toyota owner, obviously, and the maintenance plan seems fantastic. OTOH, $3K more for 1 year newer and the features I want doesn't seem too bad. I'm going to try and push the dealership to give me the Limited for $34.6K (the base quote) and see where that goes. It is only about $1,200 more MSRP b/c the Nav option is about $1K cheaper on the LTD due to the upgraded radio already being included. I would buy at $34,600 for the '11 LTD with Nav. Maybe a pipe dream but there's only about $1,200 difference between us at this point.

As for the Satin vs. Gloss question, I will say that it definitely appears to be more Satin than my '04 which is pure gloss (XLS). However, my co-worker has an '09 Limited and I think the '11 about the same. It is definitely richer than the '09 woodgrain so you notice it more but it is fairly satin.

The '10 isn't really an option for me. I want the Nav option really badly and the '10 Nav is nowhere near as nice as the '11 Nav. I also want to be able to control my iPod. I have an '04 -- which is a beautiful and loyal vehicle -- but I vowed never again to buy the last year of a body style.
    To be clear, the Nav is only $1450 on the LTD not because it is a dealer add-on but b/c the $24XX cost for it on the base is reduced b/c the upgraded audio system is already included on the LTD. That is for an OEM Nav system from the factory. A great deal.

To answer the Satin vs. Gloss more, there is much more woodgrain on the '11 interior (a huge plus for me even though I'm 37) and it is richer so it is more noticeable. I believe it to be very Satin, however, as far as woodgrains go. Much better than in the '06-'11. I want my car to be like my grandfathers...lots of wood...but with all the techno stuff I want ;)
    Note: Loaded 2010 Ltd vs 2011 base w/ options

I thought I'd share this research for those of you still on the fence too...

My quote for loaded 2010 LTD same price as your quote for base 2011 Avalon with mirrors/heat package,Nav, mats as options.

What you get if buy 2010 LTD.. additional features: wood grain steering wheel and shift knob, perforated leather w/ cooling feature, power driver seat cushion extension,chrome outside door handles, acoustic noise-reducing windshield, rain-sensing windshield wipers, dynamic laser cruise control PLUS another 3,000.00 discount on the price.

What you DON' T get in loaded 2010 LTD...upgraded nav/JBL system in dashboard, receiver for the SAT radio, USB port, Ipod interface /integration, folding side mirrors, sliding armrest, woodgrain finish on the flip door that is above the shift knob, and new exterior styling.

I guess it comes down to which features are the most important to you.
    At 37, I guess you blow the theory that Avalons are only for "geezers" LOL.
    I got my first Avalon at 40 probably for the same reason you are....and I am just now thinking of getting a new one. I LOVE my '99 Avalon XLS. It was the LTD model in its heyday.

Given your desire for Techno stuff, I can see the benefit of the 2011 for you.
    In the 2010, you'd have to buy an Ipod interface..but I don't know if the song choices would show up on the screen? Additionally, you'd have to get an adapter for your USB plug ins. The biggest upgrade is the touch screen it would seem.. so if you use the NAV a lot that would be very appealing. (If not, you could save a lot buying a 2010) In the 2011, you still can't program the NAV while driving (you really shouldn't be able to anyway *safety*) but it obviously looks much more user friendly.

Again...it really comes down to individual preferences. No right or wrong choice as I see it. I just like to read what others think....and pass along what my impressions are too. Just my .02 :-)
    edited March 2010
    I thought I would add one more thing about the Promos that end April 5...and how they were explained to me.

1. 3000.00 discount applies only to 2010 models...and you must sign all documentation for purchase by April 5.

2. The 2-year Maint. Plan promo includes all 2010 Avalon models (you show proof of registration of your current Toyota vehicle...picky about the fact that address must match drivers license. Something to consider or ask about if your addresses don't match.
    The plan includes routine maint. at each 5000 mile interval (includes oil change, tire rotation, tech analysis) up to 25,000/2 years (whichever comes first) It also includes the required 15,000 mile Maint. Service.
    3. Since it looks like the 2011 isn't going to hit the dealerships until after the
    April 5 promotion...those hoping to buy a 2011 MAY miss out on this promotion. I do think though that there is a good chance they'll keep it..just to get the 2011 sales off to a good start. Doubtful they will provide a cash rebate, but you never know...... All that will be hush hush until April 6. They even keep the sales people in the dark about the next promos.
    Nice "chatting" this morning.....
    Thanks for all the info, that was great. I really liked the comparisons. I really wish the Nav system were just a touch better on the old model. Can you do voice commands while driving or is the whole system locked out?

I'm going to push for the '11 LTD for $34,600...I'll see where that goes. That would put it at $3K more than the '10 (the rebate) but it wouldn't have the laser cruise which I think costs $600 or so. The upside is that I do get the new body and new features. The ones that are most appealing to me include the sliding armrest and rain sensing wipers. Once you've had those, it is hard to go back. I'm completely lost in rental cars! The dealer with whom I'm working has a Blue Zephyr with Light Gray in LTD due to arrive at the end of March so if we can agree on price, then I might get it in time for the maintenance special.

I play in a lot of tennis tournaments and the Avalon is the only car that can get 4 6'+ guys and all their tennis gear in comfortably enough to go 300-500 miles non-stop. I'm thinking of getting a spoiler on this one to make it look a bit younger!

Thanks again for the info.
    edited March 2010
    Glad to help clarify differences (at least what I have researched them to be).
    You can still do SOME voice commands with the NAV in 2011 while driving...may possibly have a few more voice commands than 2010..you'd have to check that. It may just be that you can't reprogram a new route while driving. Others have found overrides on this in other models...someone will probably find one for the new GEN too....if that is important to you. However, I have had a few nightmare rides with friends who are driving and programming their NAV systems and/or searching for restaurants at the same time....and I couldn't wait for the trip to be over!!!! And I thought cell phone use while driving was bad!! Messing with NAV while driving is worse.....especially because the "ease" of the touchscreen models make drivers think they aren't really being distracted "that much". LOL

What I find with the dealers in CA...that the "arrival" date of the 2011s keeps getting pushed farther into April..so don't be surprised if there is a delay in your area too. Hopefully the 2 yr. Maint. promo will continue on for a while.

Bummer that you are having to use a rental in the meantime. That makes for more pressure to make a decision. As for the Avalon's back seat legroom....you are right...it just can't be beat. I can't see ever settling for any LESS legroom in the back, regardless of any bells and whistles that can be thrown in on other models.
    That IS the deciding factor for me. The Lexus 350 doesn't have it......you'd have to upgrade to the 460 for that (and I don't like that price tag). Avalon isn't perfect, but it is pretty darned good.
    Let us all know how things go! :-)
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    I'm surprised that some of you are still talking about the '10 models. Here in the mile high city there are hardly any tens left, I've only seen two in dealers' websites.

I see the '11 Ltd comes with 17" wheels standard rather than 18", 5 spoke diamond finish rather than 6 on the base model. Details details details. Personally I don't want a nav system, and I don't especially like the wood steering wheel, cooled seats & push button start but the rear sun shade is a big plus. These are the nitty gritty things that drive my wife nuts; "go into a showroom, see which color combos you like, take a test drive, and get one that has the basic stuff you need" she says. She's probably right. Hell I remember when the only decision to make was whether or not you wanted air, power steering, and automatic trans, even the color wasn't that crucial. Wonder if we've become spoiled in our old age?

For those who haven't seen it, here's a link describing the new car features:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2011_Avalon_Product_Info.pdf?- ncid=12025
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Thanks for the link and the information, now everyone should have a better idea of what the 2011 offers. :)
    I stopped into a Toy showroom today and they have printed brochures for the '11. Interesting new exterior color - sizzling crimson mica - not red, rather like a burgundy with a purple grape shading; to match it the Ltd. has a black bordeaux perforated leather, kind of like a black cherry color. I'd like to see them in person. The base Avy offers only black interior, besides light gray & ivory; looks like the dark gray graphite has been dropped.

The Ltd. also has auto dimming side view mirrors on both sides, don't know if both were available before or just the driver's side; that really helps these old eyes at night. And I see the HID headlamps have the auto level control but it doesn't say whether they still turn 15 degrees when you're going around a curve. Anyone know about that feature?
    The Ltd. also has auto dimming side view mirrors on both sides

On my '06 it was only the driver's side.

I only used a rental for a weekend trip while I had the airbag light on mine fixed. I still have mine and will sell it right before I take delivery of the '11. I have definitely decided on the Zephyr Blue with Light Gray. The dealership is about $950 higher for the LTD vs. XLS so, to me, that is a no-brainer because I love those automatic wipers. I am not a big fan of the Smart Key but I guess I will figure it out. The question for me now is if I wait a few months and see it drop more or if I buy now because I really want it. If they offered the 60 months / 0% APR on it, I would buy now but I doubt it. Right now the quotes from my dealership are $4K higher on the '11, similarly equipped. That's a lot but the problem is that with the old gen Nav system, the '10 is simply not an option. They are currently about $2800 off the sticker price on either the LTD or XLS for '11.
    Hey Berg, I know a couple of guys who use the Garmin or Tom-Tom instead of the factory Navi; what's your opinion on that?
    For $4K, I'm seriously considering it. But I really, really, really want the built-in Nav with the touchscreen. Maybe I should wait for the prices to drop on the '11. What have people seen on that historically?
    I should probably post this in Prices Paid but nobody is responding there. Here's where my dealership is at:

'11 LTD with Nav: MSRP $37,884 / Sale $35,199
    '11 Avalon with Nav & Heated: MSRP $35,984 / Sale $33,443
    '10 XLS with Nav: MSRP $36,934 / Sale $29,333
    '10 LTD with Nav: MSRP $39,134 / Sale $31,325

The Sale prices are their bottom line w/delivery but w/o taxes. Toyota isn't apparently making the '11 "Avalon class" with the Nav but WITHOUT the heated seats package. You have to get the heated seats package if you want the Nav.

I told them if they could get either of the '11's within $3300 of the comparable '10, I would buy the '11 now, otherwise I will wait. I figure that $2K more for the newer body style and $1.3K more for the updated features is worth it to me. We shall see.
    I have to think that with the 2K price difference the 2011 may be the way to go. It will hold its value a little better and you will have a new model versus one that dates back to 05 (even thought the nuts and bolts of the 2011 are unchanged). One thing to note is that the 2010 is a little over a thousand more MSRP. What is the 2011 missing that the 2010 has? I am sure laser cruise is one but I think thats only a $600 option.

I compared an '04 vs. an '05 on Edmunds Appraise Your Car ("true pricing") and, with the same options, the '04 was worth anywhere from $2200 (Trade) to $2600 (Dealer) less than the identically equipped '05. Assuming that ratio holds true between the '10 and '11 for the length of time I keep my car and the miles I drive, I'm willing to pay the $700-1100 TRUE extra cost for the '11 based on my feature demands. This means I'm paying $3300 more now but the value, when I sell or trade it in 6 years looks to be about $2200 to $2600 more, so the real cost then is only $700-$1100 and that is worth it to me.
    I didn't even think of that. The '11 Base with Nav/Heated is only $2K more than the '10 LTD with Nav. The only feature that I'd be willing to pay more for in the LTD is the auto-wipers, they are slick. Hmmm.....
    Alright, I put down a deposit on an '11 LTD in Zephyr Blue with Light Grey, pre-tax final price was $34,500 and I'm A-OK with that. Thanks for all the input.
    Did they tell you how long it would be before the 2011's come into the showroom?
    Glad you got the price you are happy with! I haven't asked for any quotes for 2011s, but your 2010 LTD (loaded...NAV, DYNAMIC CRUISE, 8 WAY PASSENGER LUMBAR, FLOOR MATS...) quote is consistent here in California.

Am planning on going down to pick up my 2010 LTD today.
    I definitely decided I am willing to give up the upgraded NAV for the reduced price. I'm not the techie you are :-) My spouse doesn't even want NAV...so this works out to be a good compromise.
    Let us all know how you like the 2011!
  • deadpooldeadpool Member Posts: 6
    Ok, just read through the whole thread. A few things to ask/comment on.

I got a 2010 Avalon XLS loaner while my Camry was getting the warranty work done. Really liked the ride of the car. It was just pure comfort. Someone asked about seat comfort. After a hour behind the wheel I did notice some discomfort in the middle of my back. I chalked it up to not having enough time to mess around with the seat adjustments. I'm not sure if it was a bar or not but I wish I had read this topic before giving the car back. Anyway, the wife and I liked everything else about the car.

Has anyone compared the ride of the Avalon to the Chevy Impala or Chrysler 300? I've never driven the 300 but the Impala rides pretty good.

For 2011 it looks like the base model has the better looking rims of the 2 models IMO. I would spring for the Limited but would like the base rims. Maybe I will be able to swap them if I decide to get the Avalon.

I'm looking forward to the 2011. It looks like the upgrades will be great. I look forward to driving one and will give the seats a good examination.
    I hope both of you are happy with your new cars, and they treat you well.
    Did you get your '10? They told me to expect my '11 the first or second week of April.
    A couple weeks ago, I promised to write about my impressions of the '11 Avalon after the car show came to town. Well, the show came, but the '11 Avalon did not. :mad:

Nevertheless, here are some random observations:

Toyota had one of the largest exhibit spaces and certainly the largest staff, some or all of whom were from out of town. There were singers, survey takers, and giveaways. Image rebuilding in progress?

I sat in the front and back seats of several competing brands. I am convinced that the Avalon offers more room and comfort than anything else costing less than $60,000. The Acura RL had the best leather and a very comfortable driver's seat, but it doesn't have the Avalon's backseat room.

Tall people should never get into the backseat of C- or E-series M-Bs because they may not be able to get out.

The Lexus folks had the sound systems enabled, but locked into XM's rap music channel. "Hello, Tech Support? We have a marketing emergency down here at the car show."

The shiny plastic woodgrain that so many of you are critical of appears to be commonplace in all cars regardless of price range, although the Rolls and Bentley were roped off to keep the commoners at bay.

How much does Ugly cost? In the case of the Lincoln MKX, it starts at $38,845.
    I will say it one more time, I actually sat in the front and back seat of the 2011 Avalon at the Cleveland, Ohio auto show in February. Even though the 2011 brochure says the headroom is the same, I am telling you they have decreased it front and back.
    Now for a person like me that is 6'3 1/2" tall and I have a brother 6'5", that is important and significant. If you are 6' or less it may mean nothing. It is my opinion that the specs are wrong. I owned a 2005 Avalon and I know what the headroom should be. Toyota decreased the headroom in the Camry when they redesigned it,
    and now in the Corolla and again I believe in the 2011 Avalon. That is the reason they are getting 1 mpg better in city driving, because the engine and every thing else is the same except less headroom, which means less weight, more mpg. But people are snatching up the last 2010 Avalons and I bought the last limited on my dealers lot that was fully loaded and I pick it up Wednesday.
    That's a funny post Knott. Any of the Toy staff have tight fitting outfits that kept you awake at night? Rap music at the Lexus display! Maybe they're also targeting a new demographic. The new car show is coming to Denver the first week of April, I'm thinking of going.

Manat, can I ask the MSRP and your final purchase price? On the 'net I see lots of models still in dealers' inventory, except in Colorado. Where did you buy your '10? The headroom issue is troubling to me because my grandkids are above 6' going up to 6'4"; I'm tall and don't like the idea of the roof being only an inch away.

Thanks for your updates everyone.
    manatoc,

You will note that I said the '11 Avalon was not at the car show. When I said that the Avalon provided more room than anything under $60,000., I meant room for all your body parts, not specifically headroom, and my comment was based on the 2007-2010 Avalons with which I am familiar.

You may be right about the '11's headroom, but we would be grateful if you would answer the question we asked you previously: When you sat in the '11 Avalon, were you able to adjust the driver's seat? If so, did you move it all the way back and down?

Thanks and I'm sure you will enjoy your new '10.
    Yes I did pick up the 2010 Avalon Ltd on Saturday!
    Mine has the light gray interior too. You will like the light gray in your 2011, I'm sure.

So far so good.......the smart key seems pretty easy to get accustomed to.
    My husband is 6'3" and thinks the headroom is quite good.

Love the upgrades since our last Avalon (1999!)...so missing out on some of the features in the 2011 is pretty easy to handle :-) Great quiet, smooth ride. No regrets.

Didn't think I'd be too impressed with the cooled seats, but given that I live in a hot climate, I think I underestimated how nice they really are. It was near 80 degrees in So CA this weekend so we tried that feature out.

Will continue to check back to get your review of the 2011!

One more thing.....I was looking at the Toyota Canada website and saw that this month they are giving 5000.00 factory rebate incentives on the Avalon! What do you think of that!
    Note on automobile weight: To increase city mileage by 1 mpg and attribute that to reduced weight, and nothing else, would require a reduction in excess of one hundred pounds.. and in fact someone posted that the 2011 was actually heavier than the 2010.

The only way this mpg increase can occur is to adjust the electronics or the gear ratios or both, again, as someone posted before. And it cannot be aerodynamics such as a lower roofline, if one exists, as the average city cycle speeds are too slow for aero related changes to really help mileage very much. The Avalon, great car as it is, cannot repeal the laws of automotive physics.

I am on my third Avy... best cars I have ever owned.. :)
    I am on my third Avy... best cars I have ever owned

I miss my 06 so much. I don't know why I talked myself out of leasing an 09 last year. I thought I wanted something different.

Awesome cmb08, I'm glad you love it. I just got word from my dealer that my '11 will be here this week! I'm 6'1" and sit very vertically, so to speak, and will let you know my thoughts on headroom. My '04 has loads of it so I'm not concerned but we shall see. I think buying the '10 was the smarter choice unless you wanted the upgraded Nav which indeed I did. Gulp, I guess payments start next month. It has been 3+ years since I've had to deal with that! :cry:
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I emailed Toyota last week on this seat issue, and they emailed back that it is unchanged - the same as 2010?

I'd say Toyota should know, but if they do, maybe they are hiding it:)

Skip
    I wonder if there's a political committee somewhere that can check into this for us Skip. These nagging doubts are keeping me awake at night.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    It's not the doubts for me, it's the mixed messages we get. But I'm starting to wonder if this is what we can expect from Toyota for now?

I'm sure you sat in the car …
    I'm also sure it was shorter …

I'm not sure why, or why Toyota say's it's the same, if it's not?

It doesn't matter to me, as I'm only 5' 7" tall:)

And after Uncle Sam got done with me yesterday, I don't know if I'll be getting a new car now:(

Skip
    Road test , dry conditions, terrain: mix of flat and medium hills,
    60 mile run, speed: 59 mph, results: 33.7 mpg, cruise control on,

will try again with nitrogen in my tires and a K & N filter installed.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You already have ~80% nitrogen in your tires and instead of installing a K & N why not simply remove the OEM filter..??

The FE gain, if any, will be about the same or better even. You will then know the full range of FE that could be gained, but with no downside such as the MAF/IAT sensors getting contaminated with the oil wicked off of the K&N.

Oh, the only advantage to the K&N is at WOT, otherwise the throttle plate is the MAJOR restriction to intake airflow.

Do you REALLY want to extend FE..??

Mechanically block the throttle plate from opening beyond 3/4's.
    I have tried the K&N filters on other vehicles and it vastly improves take off speed. That is if you have to speed up quickly to get on the expressway or to avoid
    an accident, such as a trucker swerving into your lane that did not see you, there is a vast difference between an OEM filter and K&N.

Where can I go to verify your issue with the MAF/IAT sensors getting contaminated with oil? I would like to see some verification because my mechanic uses it in his vehicles.

sincerely

Dennis W
    edited March 2010
    OEM intake air filters are generally better than 90% efficient, average during their normal life useage. K&N has an intake efficiency more in the range of 95% before it needs to be cleaned and re-oiled.

For a 300HP engine that makes a difference of ~5%, 270HP at WOT for the OEM filter vs 285HP for the K&N

If I really felt I needed that 10% of extra "GO" I would design an intake airflow bypass system that bypassed ALL intake flow restrictions but only at WOT.

Verification = Google.
    2010 Avalon Limited , purchased in Akron, Ohio, March 2010.
    All tires filled with Nitrogen at Terry's Tire Town North Canton, Ohio.
    60 mile road test on March 31, 2010 From Tallmadge, Ohio to Lake Milton, Ohio and back on the expressway.Temperature 60, pavement dry,
    sunny day, speed 59 mph, mpg= 37.7 miles per gallon on that trip.
    mpg without nitrogen in tires on same trip loop=33.7mpg
    Sure, and I have a bridge available for cheap, or some prime swamp land in Florida if you would rather.

What was the tire pressure BEFORE inflating with nitrogen....??

60 miles --- GPS or actual map...or OBC..??

If OBC what was the tire pressure before re-inflating vs after...??

MPG via OBC, or calculation based on refilling, topping off, before and after.

~1.5 gallon refill leaves a LOT of room for fully topping off, or not.
    edited March 2010
    Interesting information....but if N made that much difference in gas mileage it would have been in car tires decades ago. This just can't happen due to N inflation. The most benefit you can expect from N is about 1 to 3 percent. There are several reasons for this but the primary one is that tires stay at a preset proper pressure longer. This minimizes rolling resistance for a greater period of time and gas mileage improves.

In this same thought pattern... Delta and other major airlines have recently begun filling all aircraft tires with Helium. The added lift saves on jet fuel..... this is true because....... ;)
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    edited April 2010
    Aircraft tires are filled with inert nitrogen to prevent explosions due to overheated brakes. A Mexicana 727 was lost out of Mexico City some years ago because they used air. Larger aircraft use fuse plugs that melt and deflate the tires in a controlled manner when the brakes overheat.