Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited July 2010
    To more completely remove the potential for distracting/"blinding" glare most vehicles now have a dark, even BLACK, dash top, DEEP dash top in some instances. No heat reflection capability only absorption so the dash top becomes HEAT SOAKED.

If you happened to have purchased a dark interior even worse.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Having owned an Avalon from each generation ('99xl, '03xl, '07Limited) I can tell you that the interior of the '07 is hotter on any given day - by far - than the prior editions. The GA and FLA summer heat/Rh is rough and you can feel the difference inside the car. An example... on hot days the sunglasses storage bin on the roof heats the sunglasses to the point of being almost too hot to touch. Even the headliner is hot. Never happened in the other models.

The good news is that the AC can cool the car under anything we have encountered and that includes 98 degrees with 90% Rh. After being parked for two hours the outside temp said 107 but cooled down quickly. Tough work for an AC. Post #354 above makes another good point about interior heat. Hope all this helps....
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I have an '08 LTD and owned a '06 LTD prior to that. I had the windows tinted in each car shortly after I bought it. It helps a lot. (Summers here are quite hot but dry - highs from 95-104 for last, this and most likely next week.)
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Nan48. I'm Seattle, WA

I've checked all the dealers within 200 miles and no one has a car with the Black/Bordeau interior.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    When I bought my 07 Avalon, I told my dealer exactly what I wanted, and he found it within 24 hrs. Have your area dealers gotten so fat and lazy that they cannot use their network to find a particular color or interior to make a sale?
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    I think I have seen the puddle lamps work correctly...no thanks to the zero information in the car instruction manual--as "tome1" correctly points out!

If the inside dome lights are in the "auto" position when you approach the car with the key fob in your pocket the puddle lamps do come on & the inside lights up.

At least this is my experience. To check it has to be very dark out as the puddle lamps are not very bright.

Hope this is helpful to all. Thanks
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    They have checked all dealers in the Washington, Oregon and Idaho region and there are none. None I could find in California either. What I'd like is to see one before I order it or at least a good interior picture. So far no luck.
  • jwillinjwillin Member Posts: 16
    I had not noticed the inside lights come on. I will have to take a look at my settings. Thanks for the tip.
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited which has a USB port which is described to enable the control of an Ipod through the radio. When I connect my generation 5.5 Ipod with the original Apple USB cable, the radio does not recognize the existence of the Ipod. Ipod does not even appear as selection mode.

I could not get my phone to pair using the "Phone Only" setup, but was able to get the phone to pair using the "Bluetooth Audio" setup....I don't know if that is affecting the Ipod connection or not.

Does anyone know how to get the 2011 Avalon to recognize and integrate an Ipod ?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Not sure if Toyota is the same, however, on my 09 Genesis it requires a proprietary cable from Hyundai for the Ipod to function properly.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    The Avalon lit says HID headlamps come with the Limited. I just looked at a few LTD's and standard Avalons. Both had, at least they looked they had identical low beams - Projector beam halogen headlamps. And they sure looked different than the HID headlamos on my 2005 LTD. Any comments?
  • jwillinjwillin Member Posts: 16
    Did you place your radio in AUX mode? Not trying to insult you, just asking. Can you use the cord instead? A friend of mine has a Toyota Prius with the same equipment. It worked one day and stopped. She had the part replaced. I would test it with another iPod to ensure it is still working or working for that matter. Good luck.
    This car has 100 miles on it and this problem has existed since day one. When I plug in the Ipod through the USB Port, the radio does not recognize it's presence and does not show "Ipod" as a mode, as described in the manual. I have tried setting the radio to Aux, but no sound is present. If I plug the Ipod in through the Aux Port and set to Aux then it plays fine with control from the Ipod.

When I asked the dealer, they said "sometimes" an Ipod will not function properly if the connecting wire is not the original wire supplied with the Ipod. I tried two Apple cords which came with the Ipod and with the charger.....with the same unsuccessful result.

What Part did your friend have replaced ?

Thanks for the response !
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    fhf,

First the disclaimer: I know very little about iPods, but some day I am going to do what you are attempting, so I did a little internet searching.

I was poking around the toyotanation.com forums. One guy suggested putting some mp3 files on a flash drive and plugging the drive into the USB port, just to test the port's connection to the radio. Anyway, here is the URL for the Avalon forum: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156
    Maybe you could post your question there and reach even more folks.
    Thanks, I will try a drive to confirm the port is working.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    I have an '11 Avalon Limited with the factory equipped wheels. I'm not sure if I can polish them or if I can only wax them. Does anyone know if they have a clear coat on them?

Also, the car's chrome trim looks bland rather than sparkling. Compared to the chrome on classic cars, it seems almost like plastic with a painted silver surface. I hesitate to polish the trim for fear that I'll wreck it. Any insights about the trim?

Thanks
    Projector type headlight lens are now common to both HID and halogens.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Just finished admiring the chrome on our car as my wife drove away. Came in and saw your post.

Not trying to be smart but are there plastic still covering the chrome? The reason I ask is that it was still on part of my chrome.

Was wondering about caring for the wheels myself. Will watch for an answer.
    Plastic on the chrome? Can you say a little more about that?
    My car had a couple of places where the chrome had plastic (like saran wrap) covering the chrome. I think this is put on to keep bugs off when shipping. It is really stretched tight over the chrome.
    That is poor dealer prep. All the shipping materials should be removed when a car is sold and detailed.

Yes it should have, but everyone can make a mistake.

or

if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I took my '11 Avalon on its first road trip last weekend. 360 miles of mostly freeway driving. Average mpg was 31 which I think is pretty good, considering the a/c was always on and we were often exceeding 70 mph. My '07 would sometimes make it to 30 mpg, if I kept the speed down. I wonder if the new 6-speed transmission accounts for the better mileage. If I had more ambition, I would try to find the final drive ratio for both cars.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    Yes, of course the six speed accounts for better MPG. Usually the more gears the less work on the engine. The transmission on the Avalon is really nice. The smoothest shifting transmission I have seen. I go by the RPM when checking a car out. For example, in my 2003 Mazda at 70 miles an hour, I'm doing about 1800 to 1900 RPM cruising, maybe more. My Mazda LX is a 4 speed with a 2.0 engine and it's for sale too :o). With only 57 thousand miles it should sell. Now my 2011 Avalon going the same speed is ONLY about 1500 - 1600 RPM which "I THINK" will be much better gas mileage even though the Mazda is lighter and smaller. I have NOT checked my MPG yet, in my Avalon but the Mazda never gets over 31 MPG. Sometimes I get 32 and 33 but it's rare! I've kept every gas receipt since new so I am surprised by the lack of MPG in the mazda. It's been a great car though with not one problem. I also kept all service records since new. I have not filled the Avalon up yet. :o) I suspect I will get between 29 and 32 MPG driven at 70 miles an hour. Again I have not checked my MPG out yet. We drive and treat all our cars like old people and we don't drive very much. All of our vehicles ;) are Very pampered!
    Your new 6 speed is likely really a 9 or even 10 "speed". Nowadays the lockup clutch is often used in 3, or even 4, of the higher gears in order to bypass the losses of the torque converter. Additionally, if you have the V6 the 2 top gears are likely to have OD ratios, but not with the 4 cylinder.

There are also more gear ranges to downshift into to prevent the engine from stalling during coastdown fuel cut.
    Not sure about all the exact ratios, someone will probably post them, but both gear V and gear VI are overdrives, that is, less than 1 to 1. The extra gear may help the mileage, yes. Top speed in either year model occurs in gear IV and is most likely identical if the speed limiter were not used.

Someone once posted information about minor electronic changes in the engine controls also in '08 up so some part of any mileage increase could be computer related. Regardless, 30 mpg in a car the Avalon's size is wonderful, love my '07 Limited at 29 mpg, the '11 can only be better.... Enjoy.....
    I recently completed a 1,600 mile trip with my 2011 Avalon. I used AC all the way and I had 200 miles of 75 mph,went through KC, and then south through the hills around Branson Missouri.

When I pulled into my garage I showed 30.4 for the entire trip. I was really happy with this.

I wonder if anything will be gained after a period of break-in?

BTW I hate the speedometer not show a number at 60 MPH. I've had a 60 at top center for too many years to get used to something else. :confuse:
    I don't think your Avalon will get better MPG with any more miles on it. This has not been my experience with gas engines. In fact after you get some wear on your tires you'll probably get less MPG. A little anyway. To get 30 MPG plus in this big 2011 car is very impressive to me. Hope this helps. One thing I don't like is the interaction with a dealer when you do need tires. I read in the manual that "THE Dealer" has to program something. Anyone know anything about this???
    Yes, I have bad English skills, lack of education. My wife is always correcting me saying "you have a language of your own". :o)
    To get 30 MPG plus in this big 2011 car is very impressive to me.

Don't get me wrong, it impressed me too.
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I guess those people who know about gears/ratio to gears and this stuff can tell me why my Mazda Protege (automatic with 4 cly.) only gets 30 MPG. I know, my Mazda is quick, zoom, zoom, zoom, but I AM REALLY IMPRESSED by my new '11 Avalon. Tomorrow is our first trip in it. Hard to believe I've had it a week and have not drove it, I can't wait. :o), I will give MPG when I get back. Toyota really out done themselves on this car. Of course we all paid for it. Right? I hear they MIGHT discontinue the Avalon or better yet make it a rear wheel drive. Any word for anyone on this?
    First thing we do when we buy a new car/truck is buy a small book. We keep EVERY receipt, from the original sticker on out to when we sell it. People are always impressed by the records we keep. EVEN every fill up we figure out the MPG and write it down. Yes, this takes a little extra time but in the long run it will pay for itself. I assure you of that.
    Discontinue their 2nd best selling car, their flagship? Whoever told you that must have been drunk or nuts.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Not the 2nd best selling car. I bet you forgot about the Corolla.
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure what car outsells the other but I do know that I read this on the internet. I can't say for certain that it's true. The same article said they was going to discontinue the Solar, this was a certainty. I would think Corolla would be number two, Camery number one. The article DID NOT say for sure they would discontinue the Avalon. They said Toyota had thought about it. They also thought about making the Avalon rear wheel drive in 2012 if not discontinue. NOW that I can see. Hard to do without sacrificing MPG though. Even if it's discontinued that does not necessarily drive the price down on all Avalon's. In fact it could have an opposite effect on older Avalons.
    They also thought about making the Avalon rear wheel drive in 2012 if not discontinue. NOW that I can see.

They just redid the Avalon for 2011. The last redo was in 05 which lasted five years. Basing it on history this "generation" will be around for a few more years before another redesign.

As for the Avalon going RWD, IMO not gonna happen. The Avalon is a fairly low volume car compared to the Corolla, Camry and Prius. The reason it survives is because it shares many (many!) parts with the V6 Camry. If they take to RWD it will certainly raise the price closer to Lexus territory and will make it difficult to sell over a GS350.

Now... if the Avalon some how, some way ever goes RWD I will stand in line to buy one. I loved my 06 (my second favorite car ever) and wish I replaced it with another one.

edited August 2010
    So far I really like my 2011. I bought a used 2000 and had electrical problems but LOVED the ride so much I had to have one. I could have sold it to some unsuspecting buyer but I simply didn't have the heart to do that. I traded it in. So far I am impressed by this 2011 but honestly I have not driven this car much at all. Good Lord Willing this will be our first long trip today. IF THE WIFE can EVER get ready. I did notice that the trunk does not close first thing. It will close but takes a few tries. Plus the line up in MY trunk is a little off. Americans better take better pride in building such cars or people like me will look for the J in the first of the Vin number. J stands for Japan.

I do believe you are right. Avalon is a low sell car. When we purchase a new Diesel in 2001, I was told then that the Diesel's are low sells but they are also the truck they make the most money on. I bought a Dodge. What a mistake! Engine solid, body not so solid. But I still have it and I get great MPG out of this large truck. I only have 51 thousand miles on it. :o)
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    I've put on new tires on my '08 Ltd. Nothing had to be reprogramed. This is with regards to the tire pressure sensing which are in the valve stems.
    edited August 2010
    If Lexus can sell the Camry as an ES350....

Then why not.....

A GS350 sold as an Avalon, or market replacement for, wouldn't be a bad idea.

RWD, optional R/awd, and......DFI....!

Camry top end, ~$26,000, ES350 base, ~$35,000.

Avalon, top end ~35,000, GS350 base, ~$45,000.

Note the same ~$10,000 "spread".
    The GS would need to be stretched about a foot to be an Avalon replacement. There is no way Toyota could do that and keep the price in line with what it is now. The Avalon's pricing works because it shares a lot of parts and is built here in the US alongside more popular models.

I think your "spread #s" above are actually closer to 5K. A loaded up Camry will go over 30K and the Avalon gets awfully close to 40K.

The "spread" come directly from Toyota.com and Lexus.com.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    mostly correct except Camry top end (V6 XLE) is 29K+
    A link to the gear ratios; The 5th & 6th gears are well below 1.00!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=18082&i=2
    edited August 2010
    Re: clear coat or nothing on alloy wheels/door chrome. Found the answer today in the parts dept. of my local dealer; both items have a clear coat protectant. The guy warned me not to use any product containing acid as an ingredient, particularly on the alloy wheels. There was a pint of wheel cleaner with the Toy label for $9.95; I know there's something to be said for using the manufacturer's products. Before I buy it I'l try warm sudsy water to see how well that takes the brake dust off, it's Meguiar's gold classic car wash. Then a coat of plain carnuba. The magnesium chloride used here in Denver for snowy/icy roads is a killer.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    Isn't it odd that the speedometer on our 2011 Limiteds show a top speed of 160mph? If it were more realistic as to top speed (120 mph?), the markings could be made bigger for the speeds we do travel...just a thought. Meanwhile; no problems at all on my LTD 2011 @ 5000 miles!
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2010
    I don't understand. I'm 71, wear glasses, and have no trouble reading the gauges on the 2011 avalon. I like them alot the way they are. They look very cool. Maybe if my glasses weren't up to date I would understand ;-)

Ole guy :):)
    Right... all for show on the speedometer. The unlimited top end is just over 140 and the electric speed limiter keeps it down to the 120's, probably for safety and liability reasons. This subject has been discussed and the speeds calculated many times before by several regulars here. Enjoy your '11 Limited.... great cars.... love my '07L at 60k miles.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    The engine is limited to match the tire rating. Since the Avalon's tire are only rated to 120 the engine is limited to that speed as well..
    I just took my Avalon on my first road trip. I got 29.7 MPG the one timed I checked it. I'm yet to fill it up again so later I'll post that with normal driving habits. I did get up to over 100 mph a few times with no problem so 29.7 is totally normal driving. I believe there is a chip that cuts the speed off or down. When I owned my 96 Chevy Impalla SS (back in 1996) they said the chip would only let it go 140 or 160. I forget now but this car had Z rated tires. I never got over 120 in that car. I hate tickets. I would be disappointed if my Avalon won't go over 120. I know, I know, I don't need to go that fast but sometimes you I like to put her in the wind. I am smitten totally by this car. This is probably one of the best cars I've owned so far. The roads in AL are not so good in some places and riding in my Mazda Protege this trip usually beat you to death. This trip was nothing in the Avalon. Makes driving fun.
    Avalons come with V rated tires, approved for sustained driving up to 149 mph, just in case the owner can figure out how to disconnect the speed limiter. Even H rated tires will take speeds up to 130 mph but it's not likely you will find H's on a new Avalon...for that reason if nothing else. As a replacement tire the H's will ride better and probably last longer, I put them on v-6 Hondas we have owned and they worked fine....