Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2010
    Hs are good. I have H rated Goodyear Triple-Treds on my '08 Ltd.; they have 50,000+ on them with plenty of miles left.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    Good information. Didn't realize the new models come with V-rated tires. My 2003 Avalon has H-rated tires
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    You might read the guauges ok but maybe not the posts all that well. :confuse:

Noone is saying they can't read the guages.

They are kind of cool but I think the they could be designed a lot better.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    So does anyone actually know how fast the 2011 Avalon will go? Top speed, with speed chips in place? On youtube, they show an Avalon going 160, they say the chip has been removed. In this video the Avalon actually crashed and totaled the car. You cage remained intact. The car was wiped out. The driver walked away. Makes you feel better about the cage on the car after seeing this. I would hate to get beside a limited ford Taurus only for the chip to slow my car down. Reason for mentioning the Taurus I did see two of these on our recent trip. Naturally he checked us out and we also checked his car out. There SEEMS to be larger door size but smaller car. I have not checked the specs on the Taurus. Anyone please let me know how fast our 2011 will go. Thanks!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    edited August 2010
    This question came up frequently when the 2005 model came out because the car was so much more powerful than the previous generation Avalon. You can scroll back and search all the posts at that time, but here is a summary: Theoretical top speed, no limiter, just over 140. This is moot however as the speed limiter will hold top speed to the 120's.

There are at least two ways to calculate top speed, both were used, both agreed within about 3 mph or so, you need to make assumptions. Individual cars and conditions may produce slightly different results. This also assumes all factory settings are left alone. "Performance" chips were not considered. Top speed occurs in gear IV in all models, gears V (and VI if you have it) are overdrives.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Maybe someone in Germany who drives the autobahn will see your question. Here at home it'd be hard to answer unless the state cops would close a hundred miles of the interstate highway so your experiment could be done.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    According to a member on a popular Toyota site...

"Held the throttle down and the motor justs lays down and holds at 135 mph"

I had an 06 Avy and in one of my stupid moments took it close to that for a few seconds and it felt as if it had a lot more to give.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Just went down and paid for, delivery next week, a 2011 Limited, Magnetic Gray with Ivory interior. Traded in my 2005 Avalon Limited with 20,600 miles on it. Got a very good deal on the 2011 and better than expected trade-in on my 2005.

Can't wait to take delivery and test it out. :)
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    Sir; You'll love it! At this time (almost 5,000 miles) no problems that we couldn't figure-out; use it in good health! We have a 2011 Limited.
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    Douglas1,
    I also just took posession of a 2011 Avalon, and have only driven 190 miles so far. The only issues so far relate to the radio. I have not been able to get the radio to acknowledge anything plugged into the USB port (Ipod or flash drive). I have never gotten the radio to show the USB option on the screen. I have discussed with Toyota internet service with no success. Suggest you have the dealer check yours when you take delivery.

If you don't mind me asking...how much boot did you have to pay...I paid $32,800 OTD without a trade in.
    I've had to calibrate my compass almost every time I took the car out of the garage and sometimes while on a trip. Stopped by the dealer and he said Toyota had just told them that they had a problem with them and was working on a fix.

Figured the fix wouldn't be out until September.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    If you don't mind me asking, what did the numbers look like.

Hell your 2005 wasn't even broken in:) Someone is going to love that trade-in.

Skip
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Hell the 2009 Camry XLE I was about to purchase (but bought a 2008 Avalon instead) - was $32,000.00+ The Avalon, was within a $1,000.00 of that price, so I bought it.

Skip
  • djkavalondjkavalon Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Avalon and am very annoyed that so much functionality in the Navigation system is disabled when the car is in motion. Is the assumption that you need to pull over whenever you need to use the system? Is this another result of our lawsuit crazy society? I'll go back to my AAA travel books before I pull over every 5 minutes to use the navigation system.

How can I override the disabling of features that Toyota has imposed?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    This is common of most if not all in dash OEM Nav systems.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I paid just over $33,500 for my limited. MSRP is $36713. Probably not the most outstanding deal but I am satisfied with the deal. Got 2 years free scheduled maintenance too.

I tried to sell my 2005 on Craigs List and had no takers or even any interest.

When I traded in my 2001 for the 2005 I had only 19000 on the 2001 : )
  • tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    Douglas1 & fhf,
    I was also having trouble getting my ipod touch to work in our new Avalon Ltd. What I found that I had to do was to go into ipod settings and change Bluetooth setting from 'off' to 'on'. Then I was able to play my tunes thru car sound system. Good luck.
    20,000 your car was barley broken in. I'm curious how much trade they gave you on that car. Hope you enjoy your 2011, I know , I really like mine so far.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I have a 2005 Avy Ltd. which we love. It has about 80,000 miles on it. Could you compare your 2005 to your 2011. Thanks.
    Has anyone out there drove that new Buick that suppose to compare to the Avalon?
    what's the name of it?
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    gramz,

Thanks for your post. I have experienced some inaccurate readings too, but not so often that I have done anything about it, other than to make a mental note to ask the dealer when I go in for some regular maintenance. If you hear any more about the availability of a fix, please post it.
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    I purchased a 2011 Limited in May and have yet to see the lights on the bottom of the outside rear view mirrors turn on. Anybody else experienced this? Also having trouble with my compass reading incorrectly about 50% of the time. I have trip to my dealer scheduled for this coming Thursday.
    jeffm5,

I haven't taken delivery yet but will post some observations after I take delivery this weekend and let you know.
    In Customizable Features (in the manual) there is an item under Illumination called "Outer foot lights." The default setting is ON, however, they maybe turned OFF. The dealer can check this when you go in since they are ones that can change the settings.
    Honestly, I would not rely much on the compass. Mine is off sometimes but it could be just me. My trunk does not line up proper, only really bad thing I've notice so far. My trunk also doesn't close without a slam. Not a hard slam but harder than my Mazda which will close with one finger. I might have this checked out on my Avalon. I notice a 1/4 clearance on one side of the trunk and more of a clearance on the other. I am so impressed by the MPG but have not drove around town much.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    On my 2011 Limited when the inside dome light (by the windshield) is set to "door" & I approach near the car with my key fob in my pocket, the puddle lamps do come on (not very brightly!) & the inside lights come on.

The default from the factory is set to do that but the info doesn't seem to be in the instruction manual.

I hope this helps.
  • tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you. Yes, I've finally seen mine do that as well. Poorly documented.
    Can't imagine having a compass that you can't rely on. I'm not sure how you figure yours is off sometimes or could be just you? :confuse:
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    How do I know when the compass is off? When I am driving directly into the sun around 5 PM and the compass is fixed at NE - that how!
    edited August 2010
    OK, it's not you then :)
    jeffm5, Only driven a few miles since I picked the car up yesterday. Initial observations are that it's much quieter and smoother riding than my 2005. Fit and finish appears very good. Love the radio.

On the downside, the compass doesn't seem to work correctly but apparently Toyota is working on a fix.

Love the car, overall.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    douglas1, Thanks for the input. Good luck with your new ride!
    Thanks for the great tip holtman.
    I've been driving my new Limited and now that it has 425 miles on it, it's time to fill 'er up. I saw a discussion somewhere here about ethanol vs pure gas so I did some research and found there's only one station here in the Denver area whose gas doesn't have ethanol. Only 10 minutes from where I live so I drove there tonight & was talking to the guy about some of the bad effects on cars he's seen from ethanol - gummy valves, vapor lock, etc. It only costs a quarter more per gallon so I filled the tank and wrote down the 425 miles when I did. I'll be a happy camper if I can get that many miles out of this tankful; my '99 Jeep Cherokee has to be filled at 325 miles & it generally took 16 gallons to fill to the brim, just like today's tankful did. The gas guy thought I should get an extra 3 MPG in the combined city/hwy driving I do; that's what he gets in his Impala 6 cylinder.

Any one else here using gas without ethanol?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Based on standard formulas for heat availability in fuel your mileage should go up about 3% by switching to all gas, no ethanol content, from a 10% ethanol dilution. That would be worth about 9 cents a gallon so you spend more to buy the pure gas. No way mileage goes up 3 mpg by eliminating the 10% ethanol, the energy content is not there.

Some modern engines can run on E-85, that's 85% ethanol. The mileage is terrible compared to gasoline but the fuel is American made, a big plus. Always an interesting subject, alcohol and gasoline.... I use 10% ethanol in my '07 Limited, it runs fine, gets 28+ mpg on the interstate... enjoy your Avalon, love the new body panels !
    I've heard a lot of GOOD things using pure gas. Especially when it comes to 2 cycle engines. It makes since to use pure gas in our new Avalons. However it's VERY hard to find. I think I'll do my search and see what I can find around the Athens GA area.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone out there drove that new Buick that suppose to compare to the Avalon?

Three weeks ago, (after a two-month wait) I bought a 2011 Buick Lacrosse CXS with 19" wheels and an incredible list of technology features including: Heads-up display, blind side alert system, back-up camera, Xenon HID, 384-watt 11 speaker DVD sound system, rear sunshade, adaptive suspension system, heated and cooled seats and navigation system integrated with OnStar.

The ride on the Buick with the 17” wheels is similar to the Avalon but with the 18" and 19" wheels road noise in the Buick is quite noticeable. Avalon owners like myself are conflicted. I like the superior handling, especially with the touring (read sport) package but hate the road noise that is transmitted to the cabin on highway stretches. However, for normal suburban and city driving the handling and ride of the Lacrosse is superior to the Avalon.

Although the Buick’s fit and finish is excellent it is not as refined as in the Avalon. The cup holders in Buick look cheap compared to Avalon but the perforated leather seats look and feel the same.

Be forewarned though that there are many blind spots in the Buick Lacrosse. The A and B pillars are too larger which obstructs visibility. Furthermore, the rear window is small and without the back-up camera parking is a challenge.

All in all the Lacrosse is a worthy competitor and a more modern interpretation of what a mid-size luxury sedan should be. The Avalon by comparison looks old and staid and perhaps will lose a lot of sales to the Buick.

When it comes to price, the Lacrosse is still in short supply so dealers are getting near MRSP. I paid $37,661 for the car with an MRSP of $38,250, less a $1,000 Toyota conquest incentive.

I hope this helps.
    What is pure gas to you?

I travel all over the midwest, which is the middle of ethanol country, and I also travel in the south. I have yet to find a station that doesn't have 87 octane gas. This is what the Avalon calls for and there is not ethanol in it.

You can use ethanol but I've found it bring you mileage down about 2 mpg. I use it in the winter to avoid having to use any heat or something like that.
    I curious who doesn't have ethanol. I live in Arkansas and the only station near me that doesn't have it is Fina and it's about 20 cents higher than the other stations. We travel mostly out west and I've only seen Texaco without ethanol. I was in Dallas yesterday, got gas once and it had ethanol. My overall average for the 2-day trip was 30.5 (with ethanol) and this included a lot of traffic in Dallas.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    You seem to be confused about ethanol content. I think it is safe to say that 98% of regular 87 octane gas has at least 10% ethanol (it's posted on a sticker on the pump, or is supposed to be!).

It is very difficult to find ethanol free gas anywhere, I live in the south and no retailer in town has ethanol free gas in any octane level. I understand there is one pump at the local distributor with pure 87 octane gas, but it is about .25/gal. higher.

Like you, I am convinced that ethanol (10%) will reduce mileage by 2-3 MPG.
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    If you really believe the Lexus ES350 and the Toyota Camry are essentially the same car (which is what you imply), than you've not done the requisite research, including - and especially - driving them both. While some of the dimensional data may be similar (almost none of it is identical), there is a world of difference in these two vehicles. So saying/implying that an ES350 is an over-priced Camry is really not correct. I will agree that because both car lines are owned by the same company there are some items in the two cars which don't affect their uniqueness and niche which are the same, but they are clearly NOT the same car. I'm not trying to disrespect you, just disagreeing with your implication.
    None of the 87 octane gas in this area, SD, ND and IA, has any ethanol. The gas in our area with ethanol is posted and is 89 octane. We also have 91 octane with no ethanol.
    Here's the link I used to find my local station:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO
    The web site listed, "puregas.org" shows only 3-4 stations in ND, SD, and 6 in IA as places to get ethanol free gas. I do not understand your post about all 87 octane (regular) gas being ethanol free in those states???

I would guess that about 99% of the retailers in your area have ethanol content, just like the rest of the U.S.
    edited August 2010
    i guess I don't know what puregas.org is all about but 99.9% of the stations in these states have the following

Unleaded Gas - 87 octane

Super Unleaded Gas - 91 octane

10% Ethanol- 89 octane

We have a number of stations that sell E-85 which has 15% ethanol.

Maybe you can answer one of my first questions and tell me what you consider pure gas?

We also have a number of ethanol plants in operation around here that produce ethanol from the corn that we raise.

While traveling in the Texas to Arizona area there was some unleaded gas that was on 85 octane. This is the only place that I've ever ran into it.
    I consider "pure gas" to be non-ethanol gas of any octane level. It is almost non-existant now in most areas of the country.
    The 10% (or greater) ethanol content gas is now playing havoc with the fuel systems of any engine that was not specifically manufactured for protection against moisture laden alcohol. Ethanol also reduces automobile gas mileage by 2-3%
    I responded to your original post because I found it hard to believe that dealers are selling "pure gas" in the heart of a corn growing, ethanol manufacturing, section of the U.S. It would be like cutting off the hand that feeds them!
    We're on the same page with what pure gas is and like I posted, 99.9% of the stations in my three state area have unleaded and super unleaded which is ethanol free.

I've ran a hundred or so tanks, in three different cars and a pickup, rotating between unleaded and ethanol. It's been my experience that my mileage loses closer to 8% using ethanol.
    Thank you for the input on the Buick Lacrosse. I ofter wonder how these two cars rated against one another. I wholesale cars for years and learned a lot about resale value. I believe the Toyota will hold value better. When I was in the business over 15 years ago, then I can say for sure the Toyota would hold better value. However today, with today's market, I honestly can't say. I'm still betting on the Avalon. I paid 35 without the navigation system. LTD. The 2011 Avalon also has some blind spots. Thanks again!
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    Bought my 2011 Avalon on may 27th and still have not received the coupons, or whatever I need to get the free maintenance I called the dealer several times , and the excuse has been that Toyota is just way behind and they would get back to me, which they have not done. Needless to say, I'm severely pissed, to put it mildly. It took forever to get the title, which I finally received last week. The dealer was supposed to have transmitted the info to the state by wire transfer, which according to the state was sent a month after I bought the car. I called Toyota today, not the dealer, and they said they don't mail them til they get something from the dealer which apparently they were very late in doing. Toyota says they are in the mail. Where have I heard that before? Anyone else have a similar experience? I wondered if they could be playing some kind of game with using my money for a while and not reporting the sale. ( I paid cash for the car, and I noticed they got the car from another dealer) Any thoughts?