Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2010
    That's downhill too, isn't it? Happy Five-Oh to yer better half. Tell 'er she's not over the hill, she's just pickin' up speed.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited September 2010
    Yep, just like wine, she gets better with age. October 12th is the big day and she wants to get OUT of the house. She says!

We drove the Avalon yesterday. I think the slipping of the transmission is in my head. It just shifts so smooth. It's hard NOT to drive it. We both love the ride so much. Almost makes driving a pleasure. I'm really glad we bought one.

Well, I have no updates on my car. Nothing but nice things to say about it. I will keep everyone updated on MPG. Today as everyone knows is Sept. 11th, anniversary of the attack in 2001. Till next time, Bill 990 miles on it, I'm catching up twinb
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    South Dakota and don't spread it around as we don't need a flood of people moving here :D

Filled up with ethanol this morning for the first time. I reset my mpg so I'm sure I'll be under 30. Hate to see this.
    Please keep us informed on how your car does in SD. What I learned about cars is this. Heat or cold effects them. Being new, you'll probably have no effect however please keep us informed. Especially on starting. Thanks gramz
    I think you'll safe on people moving up there. ;)
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    Had two 2011 Avalons on the lot, when I got mine.......mine had Michelin tires and the other had Bridgestone tires.

My question is "what brand of tires came on your 2011 Avalon"???????

To the person from South Dakota....Hi!!!!! Went to college in Spearfish, wife was from Custer......I miss the "hills" but not the hot and cold weather.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    Mine came with Michelin. Michelin are much better than the Bridgestone in MHO.
    Mine came with Michelin. Always had good luck with them.

To ex-South Dakota - Where do you live now that has perfect weather?
    Mine had the Bridgestones installed, dealer wouldn't change them. I was mad but the dealer probably didn't lose sleep over it.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    mine had Michelin tires and the other had Bridgestone tires.

I am not sure if they are still putting the Bridgeston Turanza EL400s on the Avalon, but my 06 had them and were shot by 27K. They were terrible tires. I rotated them every 5K and kept them properly inflated. So, IMO if you are shopping find one with the Michelins. Bridgestone makes some good tires, just not the EL400s.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dworthdworth Member Posts: 3
    Just got my new Avalon a few days ago, but can't seem to find body side moldings...they're available for most years up through 2010, but nothing for 2011. Anyone got any suggestions/links? Thank you.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    edited September 2010
    I just got mine from a Toyota dealer somewhere in the southeast on eBay. They are the same as 2010 and actually the same as the ones I got for my 2005 Avalon. I got them for about $75.00 delivered. Do a search on eBay for 2011 Avalon body side molding. I haven't had time to mine on yet they the color is definitely correct.

The dealer is Clearwater Toyota in Clearwater FL. You might want find the number and call them directly as I just checked and didn't see them on eBay now.
  • dworthdworth Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info...I thought of using the ones for '10, but didn't the '11 have a body refresh? I thought because of that, the '10's wouldn't fit.
    Yep the EL400's are on my '11 LTD. 27K miles with rotations & well maintained, eh? Guess there's a trade-off between soft rubber, a great ride, poor mileage & the opposite. Still, it'd be nice to get 40K on a set that'll cost well over $500 to replace.

Good to know the body side moldings are available somewhere. My local parts dept. doesn't have them, nor can they get the light gray carpet floor mats. Wonder if the mats from the '10 would fit into the '11? Whenever I've asked my parts dept. guy these questions he gives me that blank stare & says the '11 is changed from the '10.

And that ends my whining for today.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    A little checking on the web shows the same stock number for aftermarket floor mats for the Avalon 2007-2011 (I didn't go back further). My guess is that OEM mats are the same for this generation Avalon. Toyota might have made some changes, but keeping the floor mats common would save a lot of money.

Pairing the current options down to a couple of colors just saves more.
    Sign into ebay and put this number in your search engine on ebay:

Item number on ebay: 310207133014
    Also this number on ebay: 350306829635

There are many to choose from. Body side moldings, hope this helps!
  • tourbustourbus Member Posts: 14
    One of the main differences I've noticed is the ride. Much softer and quieter. Another thing is that the reflection that (at certain times) came off the dash was very hard on these old eyes. Like the new taillights and back up camera. Not many other differences other than a new speedo with 0 miles on it.
    Thanks for the info Pops and Bill.
  • schultz4schultz4 Member Posts: 1
    Go to www.sportwing.com. They have painted body side moldings for your car. At the present time they are not charging for shipping.
    That's a neat site Schultz, thanks. I'm thinking of also passing it on to my grandson for his Silverado pickup, but I've got mixed feelings because I know it'll cost me $$$.
    Has anyone else noticed that the wiper motor make a fairly loud whining noise during operation. My 2005 did this and it annoyed the hell out of me but the dealer said it was normal. Now I find my new 2011 Limited wiper motor making the same whining noise.

Does anyone else notice the wiper motor is unusually loud noise when operating?
    edited September 2010
    I have not noticed any noise coming from my wiper motor. No more than the usual noise you get with any wiper motor.
    You have NO noise when your wipers are on? What is the usual noise from any whipper motor?

I can hear my wiper motor over the radio when I'm at a stop light and it's very annoying.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2011 Avalon Limited; about 6,500 miles...I have noticed no noises at all from the wiper motor------------F.Y.I.
    Ditto. Although we're in a drought here in the mountains, the wipers have come on a couple of times since I've owned the car & there was no noise.
    While most buyers of Avalon's will not experience the total potential of the 268 hp V6 I found the following interesting. From Motor Trend mag test time of 6.2 secs. 0-60 and 1/4 mile time of 14.7 secs. These are fairly representive of the performance capabilties of our beloved musclecars of the late 60's and early 70's. Few if any of these old dinosaurs would best the Avalon and the kicker, these old musclecars would all knock down a solid 12 to 14 mpg. How times have changed.
    I'll never forget in 1965 breaking 15 seconds in 65 Ford Fairlane GT with a 390 CI V8 You're right, times have changed.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Interesting memories... In the early 60's a 14.9 quarter mile would almost win the trophy in the old Super Stock class. It took a 409 Chevy or a 427 Ford to do it. The 283 Chevy was a little slower stock but usually made up for that by winning in the old Gas classes. Back then, my modified '53 Ford could do 12.9 with slicks on a good pass....with street tires I drove it to school... It's really hard to imagine that you can buy a family sedan, like Avalon, and turn winning times from 1962... with more safety, twice the gas mileage, and a better ride to boot.... :):)
    According to MotorTrend my new Avalon would blow the doors the 67 390 CI Mustang Fastback I had in 1967. Let the good times roll.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    New tech vehicular or simply tires..??
    Douglas, I've have noticed noise but nothing unusual with my wiper motor in my 2011 Avalon. Perhaps your just sensitive to this noise. OR perhaps your wiper motor is noisier than other Avalons. I would test drive another Avalon to see, especially if it bothers you. If it bothers you now, I assure you it will bother you in the future. My wife (Nancy) clipped a deer in my 2003 Mazda Protege. Not much damage but a broken head light. She was lucky. HOWEVER, I notice a squeak under the dash after that. It bugged me so much and she said she could not even hear it. HOW can that be I would ask. Sometimes we're sensitive to certain noises in our cars. I know I am. I sold the car, the new buyer never complained of any noise.

I'm so glad people have responded to the speed of the Avalon. I thought it was just me, but I am completely impressed by the power. I'm 54 and remember the 70's cars. Thanks so much for your comments. Bill
    edited September 2010
    It is so true that technology has change through the years. No one can deny that. However lets not forget that the cars in the 70's were built like tanks. Built out much heavier medal.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    While the metal may have been heavier the 67 Mustang 302 weighed in at around 3,400 pounds, the 320 hp 390 was about 150 pounds more.

The 2011 Avalon is weighing in at roughly 3,572 lbs.

So there is no real weight difference and if anything the Avalon weighs a little more, which makes the current tech so much more amazing.

My 2005 Avy is still going strong at 60,000 miles. It is as tight and strong as the day I drove it home.

It was originally rated at 280 hp but lost 12 bhp when they changed the way hp is calculated and they detuned from premium gas to regular. Same engine between 2005 and 2006, same power, just changed the way they tested.

I hope your experience is as good as mine.

One thing that has kept me from buying a new one (and some folks won't understand) is that I loved the laser cruise. I would set it and even in traffic I could let it run without touching the brakes or resetting. I am looking at a Lexus or an Acura right now, but would take another Avy in a heartbeat if I could get the adaptive cruise. I understand it is on the Siena but for some reason it isn't available on the Avalon, unless something has changed since introduction.
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    When I got the 2011 in May, I noticed the rear window was a little bit fogged, but I thought, no problem, it'll wash off. I'm finding that it's not so simple. I first tried goodold windex, did'nt touch it. I then tried alcohol, same result, still has smears when the sun shines through. Anyone else have this problem? One thing I'm real happy with is the gas mileage. Just returned from a 4000 mile trip to yellowstone and on the way back got 32mpg on one tank and 33 on another. This was with cruise control all day long and a steady 75. We also had a strong tail wind and were losing altitude, going downhill, back to the midwest. My 2000 never even came close to these numbers.
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    Was your MPG from the car computer or did you divide the miles driven by the amount of gas you put into the tank ?
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    On my 2011 Limited occasionally I use regular Windex for this issue; seems to work fine for me.

A new question for the group; Is there an issue with the auto-dimming rear view windshield mirror? Mine just doesn't get dark enough (in my opinion). When someone drives up behind you it's still pretty bright. I had an 2007 Odyssey and that auto-dimming mirror really darkened nicely. Any thoughts appreciated...thanks!
  • red_hazardred_hazard Member Posts: 1
    I do not interpret that warning the same way. I believe they want this function turned off when the engine is not running AND the Engine Start Stop switch is in the IGNITION ON mode. See top of page 352. It indicates seat heaters/ventilators can be used WHEN when in the IGNITION ON mode. In the off postion there is no power to the seat heaters/ventilators just like the mgr said.
    And let's not forget that the new 6 (9) speed transaxles allow for a lower first gear ratio....more apparent ZIP...!
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    tourbus,

I didn't believe you at first, but a little internet research revealed that your facts are correct. So, I'm curious as to how the Avalon can compare so favorably with the '66 - '68 GTO and Chevelle SS -- cars of similar weight to the Avalon, but with 100 more horsepower.

Certainly the Avy's transmission and drag coefficient are better, but that much? Maybe the horsepowers are not calculated or quoted in the same way. During the muscle car era, marketing was all about horsepower and the manufacturers would have used any number they thought they could get away with to generate sales to the hot rod crowd. Now days, there is a little more restraint, particularly in the semi-luxury, highway cruiser class inhabited by the Avalon. I seem to remember that the method of calculating horsepower changed during the last 40 years or so, but at my age I can't swear to any of my memory. Can anyone confirm that? In other words, is it possible that the Avalon's horsepower would be higher, if expressed in 1960's terms?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    This is from Wikipedia....

Society of Automotive Engineers
    [edit] SAE gross power
    Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower (bhp), frequently referred to as SAE gross horsepower, because it was measured in accord with the protocols defined in SAE standards J245 and J1995. As with other brake horsepower test protocols, SAE gross hp was measured using a stock test engine, generally running with few belt-driven accessories and sometimes fitted with long tube (test headers) in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds. The atmospheric correction standards for barometric pressure, humidity and temperature for testing were relatively idealistic.

[edit] SAE net power
    In the United States, the term bhp fell into disuse in 1971-72, as automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower in accord with SAE standard J1349. Like SAE gross and other brake horsepower protocols, SAE Net hp is measured at the engine's crankshaft, and so does not account for transmission losses. However, the SAE net power testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories. This produces ratings in closer alignment with the power produced by the engine as it is actually configured and sold.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I've heard a lot of good things about the Lazer Cruise. I also heard a few bad things, like the break lights DO NOT come on when it slows you down. One fellow quoted he was almost hit by other cars while slowing down. However it would be an option I would want.

On your 2005 Avalon, WHY trade it? I certainly didn't make this kind of investment to trade up in 60 thousand miles. Especially if I've had no problems.

The man who quoted 32 MPG. Did he figure the gas mileage or did he let the computer do it for him. I always figure mine myself between each fill up. I will be posting it from time to time but so far I have less than 1,000 miles on my car. TC, Bill
    gramz

your response about the 65 Fairlane GT brought back a memory. As I recall that particular car came with what was called the Firestone Wide Oval tire. The first time I saw one I really wanted that car with those tires.
    I too am a bit perplexed. I raced a 67 Plymouth GTX from 67-70. While it ultimately went quite a bit quicker than the 14.90s it started with (this from a 440 cu in V8) in pure stock condition the Avy would have beat it by a couple of car lengths. This was a rear wheel drive car that weighed about the same as the Avy but built more on the lines of a brick. Two bricks actually. One for the body and one for the top. Perhaps aerodynamics and traction control work some kind of magic. Whatever, I'm happy to be living through the current time where performance and economy can (kind of) run hand in hand
    I have the standard 2011 Avalon not the Limited. Has anyone with this model noticed that the radio display becomes washed out in bright sunlight? While the dash lights can be dimmed and brightened, the radio can only be dimmed (the last only after dark) but not brightened beyond the default setting.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    I like a new car is all, and the 2005 did not have the blue tooth which I use in my 2009 Honda for my cell phone, hands free. Uses the speakers in the car and allows my wife to talk too if talking to my son or daughter.

As for the brake lights not coming on, they do if the car has to stop, but if it just needs to slow gradually, like taking your foot off of the gas then of course they do not come on.

I've seen a few people say the brake lights don't come on, but it is in the owners manual, paper and online, and at night I've seen the lights come on (reflected the middle light in the rear window).

I like gadgets, so rain sensing wipers, laser cruise, nav, DVD rear seat entertainment (in the headrests in the car, in the ceiling in the van). blue tooth, etc are a "must have" for me.

Good luck with yours.
  • jim3jim3 Member Posts: 19
    In answer to your questions, I always figure the gas mileage the old fashioned way, by hand, dividing the gallons on fillup into the miles driven.
    "..how the Avalon can compare..."

No wheelspin/slip at "take-off", no "spin-outs" faster "getaway".

Most modern day FWD and F/awd vehicles with excessive HP will actually derate/detune the engine automatically if you go WOT in one of the lower gear ratios.

Unlike RWD or R/awd vehicles wherein directional control can be maintained or asserted with the drive wheels spinning, having lost traction, FWD vehicles are very apt to lose control if the front drive wheels are allowed to lose traction in that manner.
    I like gadgets too. Some of the gadgets seem rather expensive. I guess it's the lack of money in my pocket book or me just being a tight wad. I can't see paying 1600+ for Navigation system, while my daughter could not believe I would do without.

I did pay extra for the LTD model though. So I'm not that tight with my money. I do like the idea of the Lazer that slows you down. If the price is right. I love the automatic wipers, which came with the LTD model. I love that Gadget. Even though a few pages back this topic was really discussed and laughed at by some. The XM radio is something I won't pay for once my trial prior runs out. I MIGHT if I took a trip across country. My salesman said I could activated it anytime I wanted. Anyway take care, so far, I really like the Avalon. Oh yea, I MIGHT like the Nav. system if I ever used one. My daughter pointed this out to me. She's 29 and LOVES all the gadgets. She drives the Toyota van.
    edited September 2010
    I had the Wide Ovals on my '67 Rambler Rebel; 20K miles & bald as a baby's behind. They had a thin red sidewall. Haven't bought a Firestone tire since then. As for the radio washing out in the sunshine, yep, happens on my Ltd. too. Weird angle the dash is set at, although it seems to give more front seat roominess.

The foggy film on the windows is apparently from the seat materials, & should go away in time according to previous posts. Haven't cleaned mine yet & I'm dreading it; inside windows are hard to get clean without streaks left behind.

Bill, I also think spending that much money on a nav system is silly when portable units that work great are available for $100-$200. And in my case, I always know where I'm going so it'd be a waste to have one.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The aero part doesn't mean much up to about 60 mph. After that it might help a little to have a lower Cd but there is no really big gain in a 1/4 mile race to under 100 mph.

In addition to sheer power, the application of that power is equally important. Less friction will deliver more push to the wheels. Different gearing will use the power more efficiently. And as you mention, wheel slippage (TC) is minimized. This overall better engineering is the reason the gas mileage is double the 1960's and the Avalon is nearly as fast at the strip. But it sure was fun.....back then...