Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Check the manual. You can remove the metal "key" from the electronic "key" and lock the glove box so the attendant can't get at the button. You keep the metal key and give the electronic key fob to the attendant and you're set!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget to lock the trunk pass-through between the rear seats as well. (behind the center armrest).

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jonesfwbjonesfwb Member Posts: 2
    follow up--2011 Limited. can't find any 'secret' button nor could anyone at the dealer. When you open the glove box, there is a place on the left that looks like it could hold a button, but nothing there. Someone who has a 2011 limited, tell me please where is the button or how to neuter the trunk. Any suggestions???? thanks.
  • grape11grape11 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Avalon Limited. When I manually turn on the headlights "at night" knob/lights turn off. I then slowly turn back on and all is fine. I guess it's the way I'm turning them on, maybe turning the knob too fast? During the day I've tested this and it turns on fine. Thanks...
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Three weeks ago now Toyota told my dealer not to install a new compass because they were issuing a TSB on the issue. The next day I got a call from Toyota customer service tell me they were issuing a TSB.

So yesterday I called Toyota and asked about the TSB and they told me they knew nothing about a TSB and that one had not been issued. I sent an email to Toyota and they responded to me and basically said this was not an important issue that they would get around to issuing a TSB at some point but they did not know when and could give me a date repairs would be ok'ed. She sold me it could be 3 months or 6 months but they would get around to it sometime.

The woman was less than concerned and when her this was my 3rd Avalon and I had bought my first Toyota in 1970 her response was 'so'.

I had a couple family members looking at Toyota's and I just phoned and told them to look elsewhere.

I am disappointed in the extreme with the Toyota attitude.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm of the mind to say, one bad experience doesn't hold true for the whole company, but in Toyota's case, all of the recalls do:(

I still would buy another Toyota, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone to buy one.

I'm on my 6th one, and I'm reasonably sure I'l purchase many more (or a Lexus:))

Of the many issue, the compass is sure to be the least of their worries, and shouldn't be to high on yours either - a concern, but just not to high on the list.

Make good notes, and document everything, so when the time comes, you are covered.

Also, put yourself in her shoes, and imagine what her day is like answering calls, some important, some not, and everyone being a bit testy.

Skip
    With all due respect. She called me and told me she was in the 'executive offices' so she did not just pick up the phone to answer my call and if she was in the executive offices she was not dealing with a lot of customers.

Her attitude was very poor and yes the compass is not a huge issue, but I am somewhat directionally challenged and use it frequently, but when I spend this much money on a car I expect them to fix it not tell me essentially 'we will look at the issue when we feel like it' with no time frame.

Finally, a compass is not rocket science. I had one in my 2001 Avalon so it should not be that hard to figure out the problem. This is not some new untested technology or software. It should be relatively simple to go back to your supplier, inform them that there is a problem and get it fixed.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    edited October 2010
    I ordered the rubber 'digital' mats yesterday despite the price of nearly $200 with shipping. A 3 yr. guarantee + I couldn't find anything else that covered the middle rear floor slot. Other 'custom' mats didn't have the holes for the driver's front hooks which I think could be important to keep them from sliding forward, and most needed trimming along the edges to fit right. I keep my cars a long time so I think it's a good investment for the winters here in Denver.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=638&Year=20- 11

Your thoughts?

Joe
    I have these and I love them. A real saver in winter here in Maine.

Skip
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    Just picked up my new Limited and went over this with the sales guy and there is no button on mine. Not sure if others are the same.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    1. Checked my glove box....place for a "trunk lock button" but not there. 2011 manual, doesn't speak to this issue.

2. Remote starter is an option

3. Door Edge Trim...$94.00....Toyato part number PT936-03110-10......This is a new item that Toyota part person found while looking for a "side molding" for my 2011 Avalon.

4. compasses...no recall on this issue, at this time. Mine works so no complaint here.

5. 6 speed automatic is awesome

6. 268 HP...on regular gas, delivers some "eye opening performance". I thought my 2003 XLS, 210 HP was good.....2011 would run circles around it and 2011 gets better gas mileage. Keep detailed information on "gas mileage", will post another time.

7. Have driven almost 8,000 miles......happy with car. Only gripe is that all 2011 Avalons came with Black mats......ugh White color, Ivory interior.....black doesn't work!!!
    I am still working on learning all the gizmos on my new Limited. I read in the manual that the memory seats can be automatically triggered by the key fob depending on which fob is approaching the car. I cannot get it to work. The sales guy said it is not supposed to work off the fob. Can anyone tell me if he is correct or do I just need to try it again?
    Thanks
  • tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    The owners manual says exactly as you state the fob supposedly can be setup to be recognized as you approach car and automatically make seat & mirror adjustments. However, I haven't been able to activate either.
  • tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    Is anyone else noticing premature fabric wear on driver's floor mat (where heel contacts mat) ? Am getting small balls of fabric showing up on mat from heel of shoe rubbing/pivoting on mat material. Washed mat the other day and definitely noticeable where fabric is wearing. Have had car since mid July and mat should not be showing signs of wear like this. Quality of material in mats is not nearly as durable as in previous 2005 Avalon.
    They probably made them thinner to be absolutely sure they can't get jammed under the gas pedal. I suggest doing what another member here at Edmunds did and grab a set from the 05-10 model on Ebay. They should fit with no problems. Use the new ones in the spring and summer and keep the originals for the sloppy weather in the winter,

"Quality of material in mats is not nearly as durable as in previous 2005 Avalon."

You can bet your bottom dollar on that one, and it may have less to do with safety than the bottom line profits. If the previous mats were 1/2" thick & the current ones are only 1/4", VOILA, an instant 50% profit for the guys with the smiling faces and the $100 silk ties. But that's progress. Toyoda-san would be pleased.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2010
    Last trip to Birmingham AL I got 28.9 MPG. The computer in the car said I was getting 26.4 so I was kind of disappointed until I figured MPG myself. I am very happy. A lot of HWY mileage. Coming up from SC, through Athens, and through Atlanta was quite a trip. NOT all HWY but most. Loaded with two people, and luggage. FYI car drove great, shifted great, love the pick up. A real looker. No problems. Sound system is really good. A real pleasure to drive. Pretty good investment so far.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    I bought my 2011 Avalon on May 1, 2010 and one of the first thing I noticed was the compass that kept failing to work correctly. I was really concerned as I was going to be doing any major traveling until October. At my scheduled maintenance I mentioned this to my dealer and he told me that Toyota was aware of this problem and a fix should be out my the end of September. That didn't happen.

I made my trip without my compass which doesn't make me a real happy owner. Today I again went to my dealer and now the story is they don't have an ideal when it will be fixed. So here I am having spent $36,000 and waited 6 months and still they don't have a clue?????????

Now for the good part.

I had my last schedule service done in August at 5,000 miles. On the way to the dealer I looked up at the sticker on the windshield and notice it said my next service was due 11/18/10, or three months from my last. Since this date was real close to 6 months from my purchase date I wasn't sure what was going on.

I asked the service manager what the story with 3 months was and he informed that they recommend having your vehicle service every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I mentioned to him that the manual says every 6 months or 5,000 miles. He informed me he knew that but they recommend the 3mos/3,000miles.

I then told him that I had the 2 year free mainntenance plan and he asked if they were going to service my car for free every three months or 3,000 miles. HERE'S HIS ANSWER

If you have the free service plan it only covers services every 5,000 miles.

Just amazing how your car can need less service when they have to pay for it.

I started looking at the Avalons in 2002 and took me 8 years to finally go with one. Now I'm beginning to question my decision.
    edited October 2010
    Gramz, it sounds to me like you have a greedy dealership. Our local dealership never implied anything of the sort. I only have 15 hundred miles on my car and they did call to make a routine service. I explained my low miles and he said I should service it by January because of the time passed not because of the miles. I felt good about that. I also explain that my car SEEM to pull to the left on the HWY. They said they would check that with no charge. Now by Jan. that could change. However that pull might be me. So, I believe your problem MIGHT be your dealership. I'm curious did they use synthetic oil. Probably not! I would ASK up front about ANY charge for routine maintenance is not what Toyota said. I would explain to them that what they said does out on a blog that goes out to all America or who ever reads our blog. FYI my compass works just fine. Hope this helps.
    Our recent trip. I pressed the black button to lock all the doors. I'm a slow walker and before I could get away from the car the car unlock itself. I was surprised. Is this normal? Is the car suppose to unlock itself by walking upon it?
    Man you need to get another dealer to service the car. My '11 Ltd uses synthetic oil & that recommended official change is every 10K miles. In the coupon book the 5K mile services seem to include only a look around at things & topping off the fluids, maybe a tire rotation but I can't remember exactly.

When I went to the dealer for the new owner orientation for questions, etc., the service managers ran the program & spent most of the time urging us to only have work done at the dealership, supposedly because if we spent money at Toyota then Toy would treat us better than those who didn't use them. After an hour of that crap I left. Personally I don't plan to spend twice or three times the money for oil changes at the dealer than the place down the street charges. Mobil 1 is Mobil 1 everywhere.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    If I understand everything correctly it should open until you touch the back side of the door handle.
  • galbertgalbert Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been able to answer how to program the key fob to set seat memory etc.
    I noticed when I turned on the lights the lights moved down, then up, then down again. Does anyone know what that is all about?
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    They are self leveling lights and are setting themselves
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    twinb,

"Personally I don't plan to spend twice or three times the money for oil changes at the dealer than the place down the street charges."

I don't understand why the dealer would be charging you anything for service on your '11. Didn't you get the free maintenance coupons?

As far as the statements made at your orientation meeting, I'm not surprised. Given the amount of information available on the internet regarding invoice costs, factory incentives, etc., it is harder for the sales departments to make as much money for the dealership as in the past. I think this forces the service departments to charge more and they try to come up with gimmicks like free car washes and courtesy cars or excuses like Toyota will treat you better (which is pure BS). Toyota will treat the dealers better if their numbers are good and they receive good feedback from their customers. [I'm real tired of being told to give the dealer excellent ratings so that they can continue to give me benefits, but that's a topic for another rant.] The only plus I can see to using the dealer for all recommended maintenance is that a future prospective buyer of your car may be impressed by all the "Authorized Dealer" stamps in your maintenance log book.
    Oh I was talking about oil changes after the free coupons run out.
    Twinb:

Think if you check your Avalon manual.....then "synthetic" is not the recommend product to use.

My Toyato service manager thought synthetic was the correct product but the "lube guy" heard the conversation and told him to check the filler cap........ the "filler cap" clearly states SAE 5W-30.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    This was almost EXACTLY my experience when I got my 2011 Avalon; everyone in the dealership said it was a synthetic oil but the parts guy knew to check the cap! It calls for a non-synthetic oil! Thanks! Great car---9000 miles-no issues.
    There is no reason why you can't switch to synthetic if you want to. The car is virtually new. The main thing is the weight of the oil, stick with the recommendation on the cap and all will be fine.

I'll check my cap to see what it says. Question: with synthetic vs natural oil, does one require more frequent changes than the other?
    From everything I have read, synthetic allows for a longer oil change interval. IMO it ends up being a wash. It costs more, but lasts longer. I just mentioned it, since I believe there was a confusion that it couldn't be used. I am sure it can, its just whether or not it is worth it to you.

There is a topic created for synthetic oil here on Edmunds. I am sure that its all been talked about there before: Edmund's Synthetic Oil Discussion

• jack188jack188 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2011 Avalon, not the limited. The radio console is so poorly lighted that I cannot see it in the daylight. It cannot be adjusted. I complained to the dealership and they said that "it is as designed". I don't care if it is as designed what can you do to fix it. They said there was nothing they could do. Have any of you had this problem?
    Toyato dealer wanted me to change to Synthetic.....because it would cost them less....1 change at 10,000 miles vs. 2 oil/filter changes, every 5,000 miles. I have 2 years Free maintance....I chose to stay with "oil".

My 2003 Avalon had 110,000 miles on it.......never used a drop...used oil from day 1.
    I have the JBL Synthesis & the problem is universal because of the angle it sits. In the sun I hold my hand over the radio to shade it but that usually doesn't help because of the glare, & I don't like to take my eyes off the road too long. Instead I just start pushing the buttons until something comes on that I want to hear. The design looks nice at an angle but is non-functional.
    edited November 2010
    One reason for letting the dealership change the oil is then it's logged into car fax. When you sell your car, all oil changes will be there for the buyer to see and people buying a car love to see that. HOWEVER, I'm like you, I log everything I do to my car in a book. So if I have the receipt (I always keep all receipts) logged into my book then that should be enough for a buyer in the future. After the free maintenance is up then I'll probably have the oil change down the street. UNLESS Toyota will give a decent price on an oil change. What are the odds on that?

So far I really like my Avalon. I have 1700 miles on it or less. Love the pep. Love the MPG, for such a big car. PLUS it's a looker. How many people tinted their windows? I did and I really like that. Not very dark, just a lite tint.

Oh, I also have the same sound system and have no problem with the sun light hitting my eyes. I suspect it's the way you adjusted your seat, or maybe your height. I'm 5'10" and sit straight up. Not much leaning back when I drive. If I have an accident I'll probably swallow the air bag. lol
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    On several of the colder days lately I have noticed I only get heat in the back seat if both front temperature dials are set the same. If the passenger adjusts to a warmer or cooler temperature, cold air comes out of the rear ducts. It's not cooled air because the compressor is not on so I am assuming it's just outside air. Anyone else with this problem? I haven't returned to the dealer yet, but will.
  • patentablepatentable Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 LTD - very happy so far at about 7500 miles. Traded a 2000 Avalon I bought new with about 170K miles - and was still a good car - just decided it was time.

Two questions:
    1. There is an outline of the defroster on the outside mirrors. Does this light when the mirrors are being heated?
    2. Is there a light on the main lighting control stalk? I've had moments where I'd like to change from "auto" to "on". I remember reading on this board - I think - that their was a light. If so, I can't find it.
    Love the auto wipers - a feature that I thought I was going to hate.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, your A/C compressor, cabin airflow cooling or dehumidification capability,is enabled 100% of the time unless the OAT is below ~35F or you turn it off manually.

Note that even if you turn it off the A/C will still operate AUTOMATICALLY, with no indication to you of same, in defrost/defog/demist mode and that can lead to a very HAZARDOUS driving situation shortly thereafter.

On top of all that if the cabin internal air temperature sensor indicates that the cabin is within a few degrees of the temperature setpoint, AVERAGE temperature setpoint for driver/passenger, L/R capability, then the system will switch to COOLING mode AUTOMATICALLY. When the FRONT system switches into COOLING mode, primarily DASH air outflow, the rear system will (MUST..!!) FOLLOW.

So, yes, the rear passengers will be COOLED, not heated.

There are several C-best options available to the dealer that can be set to help.

My '01 F/awd RX300 has these options set such that when I turn off the A/C manually it DAMN WELL remains OFF until I wish it otherwise. The A/C is even DISABLED, "unlinked", so it doesn't even operate in conjunction with the defrost//defog/demist mode.

Later C-best options include the ability to PREVENT the automatic switch to COOLING mode as the cabin temperature reaches the setpoint "band".

During the winter months it is, can be, potentially HAZARDOUS to have the A/C operational and/or have the system in anything other than heating or combined heating and defog/demist mode.

In cooling mode there is NO airflow to the interior surface of the windshield to keep it (hopefully) warmed above dewpoint, the point at which condensation begins to form.

Purely IDIOTIC NipponDenso, Denso US, HVAC design.
    Cars for a number of years have had the A/C compressor come on when you have the defrost on (my 79 Conitnental did). AFAIK it puts dehumidifid air on the windshield to help clear faster. I know that on my older truck with busted A/C its near impossible to keep the windshield clear on a humid, rainy night.

As for the logic on the system, yes its a bit bizarre sometimes but most Auto-temp cars systems are a bit flaky. The auto on my 09 Genesis does most of what my 06 Avalon's system did. Heck even the (ancient) system in my Grandfather's 04 Grand Marquis works mostly the same.

• rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    I guess I didn't explain it well. When this cool air entered the cabin, the front was manually set to "foot" mode and the A/C turned off manually. Automatic is set to off. Heat was flowing from all ducts. As soon as I set the pax temperature to a lower setting, cool/cold air flowed from the rear vents. It is not possible to have heat in the rear with two different settings in the front. This has to be a mal-function. Thanks for your responses!
    The farther north you live the more often you will have climatic conditions wherein the dehumdification capability of your A/C system will be degraded, severely degrated, or simply non-functional.

The only reliable, TRULY reliable, method for clearing, QUICKLY clearing, interior windshield condensation is via HEATING, lots of HOT airflow to the windshield. And to keep it from forming, reforming, keep the interior windshield surface HEATED up above the dewpoint of the cabin atmosphere.

"...my 79 continental did.."

The A/C evaporator in your 79 was not as dense, complex, and efficient as those of today. These days the evaporator will act as a sponge, "soaking up" much of the condensate, only to later release it to evaporate into the cabin atmosphere once the defrost/defog/demist function is turned off.

And guess what happens if the A/C turns off spontaneously, without any indication to you, as/when you drive into an area of declining, declined, OAT...?
    According to the manual the automatic functioning of the system can not be turned off, in a "global" sense, manually. Only individual functions can be removed, selectively removed, from automatic control. Adjust the fan speed manually, all other functions remain under automatic control. My guess is that even though you manually put the front system in "heating" mode, footwell outflow, the rear system remained in automatic mode, automatically switching into cooling mode when you lowered the "average" temperatrue setpoint.
    There is a little icon on the drivers and passenger side rear view mirrors. Is that icon supposed to glow when the defroster is on or is it just to let you know that it's heated?

Thanks,
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    It's just there to let you know that the mirrors are heated. It will not glow.

HTH
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    Hello Everyone,
    We drove almost every auto in the last year from Ford to Mercedes Benz, none felt any better than the Avalon. This purchase reminded me when I was a young person and purchased my first brand new car which was a 69 Dodge Charger, I never felt this way until now and I owned many new vehicles since then.

We purchased our Avalon base model on October 27th and since we have 3500 miles on it. All I can say what a awesome automobile. Only options we added was the power heated lumbar seat, blizzard white paint and floor mats.

My wife took it to Nebraska from Wisconsin and was driving most of the way at highway speed of 80mph and still averaged 28.7mpg combined average, unbelievable for this size car.

When she returned she covered 866 miles in one day and said she wasn't tired, this isn't like her to drive that far in one day.

Also would like to thank everyone for the imput on this forum prior to and since I purchased our new Avalon. Received many great opinions on your purchases.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Just noted your post and thought I'd chime in. Did you try some non-polarized sunglasses? My son, an optical engineer, pointed this issue out to me on my FJ Cruiser. Took off the Raybans, put on something else, problem (mostly) eliminated. We also have an 11 Avalon Ltd; however, have the Nav, so this is not something I've personally experienced. Looking through the manual, it does mention that polarized glasses can affect the way you see the display on the non-NAV radio.

Just a thought. :)

HTH.
  • jaws11jaws11 Member Posts: 3
    Having trouble having a remote starter installed. Went to two mobile/audio dealers and both tried but were unable to get it working. Problem with codes. Best Buy said probaley could not do it. Anyone have any info on supplier or model. I know
    Toyota says can be installed but went to dealer's sub contractor on my own and he was unable. thanks
    Sorry to hear that. I'm sure there is some differences between the 2011 and 2008 that I own, but it was no problem on my 2008, and it's a great thing here in Maine:)

I park the car, up the street 1,000 yards or so, or in the parking garage across the street from my office, and start it before getting there in the winter, warm and glass defrosted - again a wonderful thing.

Good luck.

Skip
    I contacted the owner of my local Toyota dealer and explained the problem with the compass and the fact that Toyota corporate apparently does not want to deal with this issue and he got them to approve installing a new mirror/compass in my car. He was very apologetic about the way I was treated by Toyota Customer Service. It's been 1 day now and so far the compass is working correctly. The service department showed me the invoice and the mirror costs $1248.00. The labor to install it was only $18.20. That seems an outrageous price to me. Anyway, the mirror seems to be working properly now.