Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited December 2010
    No, it was a Toyota warranty purchased from Lexus of Bellevue.

And why wouldn't Ford "honor" the Toyota warranty, Toyota's money is as good as any other.....

Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus were the "same" car.
  • laduceladuce Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if I can play a video DVD in my navigation system? There is no information in the owners manual but I have heard of other systems that play dvd video.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    The system is not designed to play a movie DVD. It just uses the larger DVD data capacity for the map info for the GPS.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    You're kidding, right?
    No, just another idiot to be on the road at the same time as the more safety minded.
    edited December 2010
    I defense of the OP....there are Double DIN in-dash head units out there that combine Nav and DVD playback capability; and, have a 7-9" screen. They are locked out from playing a DVD if the vehicle is in gear (I'm sure there is a way around this; however, no pro installer can put it in without the safeguard.). They might have seen them and wondered about the new Avy unit...

Just a thought, 'cause I certainly agree that someone who wants to watch a movie while driving is plain dangerous. I used to crack up, years ago, when I was an accident reconstructionist, at the people who read books in commute traffic (way before text and cell phones...). Responded to plenty of those rear-enders and just used to shake my head. I still see the face of this one lady who was actually reading 'War & Peace'...now there's a page turner.... :surprise:
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for the info about the DVD players. The post sure had me wondering if it was a question or a joke. Thanks for the laugh also. I bet sometimes in your job it was hard to keep a straight face.
    For what sane reason would you have need for a DVD displaying movies for view in the front seat of any passenger vehicle...?

Who sits, and why, in a parked car watching a DVD content...?
    edited December 2010
    You'd be surprised how many people (all younger, I might add) who proudly show off their new in-dash Double DIN widescreen CD/DVD/MP3/WMA/NAV system. An acquaintance of mine put a $2000 unit in his raised 4x4 Ford F-250 four door and sat there for over an hour showing me all the fancy features of the unit (touch-screen, bluetooth, IPod control, etc. etc. etc.). The NAV portion was hard-drive based and you updated it either via USB drive or through a live USB laptop connection. I asked him what the purpose behind the DVD player was, since it shuts off as soon as you put the vehicle in gear. He extolled the virtues of sitting in the truck waiting for his wife to finish grocery shopping, etc. while watching a DVD.

Like you, I still don't get it; however, I certainly do not profess to understand the intricacies of sanity and how that relates to personal satisfaction in owning something that seems "not very useful", at least IMHO (and you seem to agree...).

On forum topic, I am very glad that our Avy's don't have that feature. IF I sit in the car in a parking lot waiting for the wife, I am certainly content to put the seat back and enjoy a bluetooth Pandora stream via my Blackberry into the superb stereo that Toyota has provided to us....or just a nice CD or Sat channel....those quickie naps always do me good! :shades:
    edited December 2010
    Boy, I'm glad the blog is fixed. I was having blog withdraws. Update on my Avalon, I got 23.3 MPG city driving, we took a trip, and got 26.4. Car was loaded for the trip. Extra bags, 2 people, etc. Plus I tend to have a heavy foot. I suspect I will be getting better gas mileage when and if I learn to drive right. It's just hard to stay off the gas pedal. Am I the only one like that? I certainly hope not. The power is simply awesome. Shifting on the transmission is unbelievable. Believe me, I've drove my share of cars and this transmission is incredible. Maybe it's me, but it seems to be more than a 6 speed. I mean I know it's a 6 speed but I have excellent hearing and it just seems to shift more than 6 times. I guess I'm getting old.

I am also impressed with all the options. In fact being a new comer to the Avalon I've learned some of the options this vehicle has. Did I say I have the Limited? LTD model. Floating head lights. boy, what a blast and such a surprised. Imagine having that option in the 60's. Love the automatic wipers. Extension on the seat is really a plus for a big person like me. So many things and such a comfortable car to drive. Even after a long trip you don't seem so tired. I now wish I bought the navigation system, even if it doesn't play DVD's. :) Anyway here is a link to show most options.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MKYnPem54
    I think everyone will enjoy this you tube and maybe someone will learn something new. TC,
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    I've posted before....my 2nd Avalon, just think this car is much better than my 2003.....Here are figures for your information...

1. 9266 miles driven by me......128 miles was driving car from Kirkland WA to Aberdeen WA
    2. Total gallons of gas purchased......357.14
    3. Total cost for gas........$1017.85
    4. Average cost for the 357.14 gallons of gas....$2.85
    5. Mileage......25.94 MPG

I have gotten as high as 31+ mpg and as low as 21.5 mpg...like a few others, I love the 6-speed transmission and have been know to "hot rod".

Car will go over 105 mph and still had petal. 268 HP is awesome....would have been something special in the 60's..........quickness and great gas mileage.....I remember gas at 13.9.

Can tell you for sure that straight gas, without the ethanol, will get you 2 - 3+ miles per gallon more but you spend more for "straight gas", IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND IT.
    With the new technique of using the lockup clutch in the torque converter in the higher gear ratios you may have a 6(10) speed transaxle.
    I just had my 10,000 mile service and the last 5,000 miles averaged 28.5 mpg. This included a week in the hills and traffic of Branson MO, a trip to Minneapolis MN, a trip to Fargo ND and two tanks of ethanol. I was going to run the whole 5,000 on ethanol but I just couldn't take looking at the lower average.

I agree with you on the straight gas. I always figured it cost me about 2 mpg to use ethanol. I don't ever have a problem getting straight gas until I travel out of state. Around my home straight gas costs from 4-10 cents more per gallon. Even paying a dime more per gallon you will still come out sligthly ahead if you only gain 1 mpg. Gaining 2.5 mpg will save you around $7.00 dollars per 1,000 miles.

We have zero type weather now and I see that this is going to greatly affect the mileage. Until the car warms up the mileage really suffers. The other morning I was on level ground for the first two miles and driving carefully and the mileage show between 13 and 16. The choke must of been wide open. The next around 20 miles was in the low 20s and then the motor must of warmed up as it started showing about normal. I will be going south the end of this month so hopefully I don't have to drive all that much between now and then.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    I'd gladly pay for the "straight gas" but Washington State makes lot's of $$$$$$ on the gas taxes........so they are trying to eliminate all stations that have the "straight gas".

Anything for the State, to heck with families......
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I'm buying my gas at one of three stations in Richland that sells gas without ethanol. I'm told that they get their gas from a distributor in Moses Lake. The brand here is Conoco-Phillips but not all stations of that brand sell real gas.
    Wow, it must be really cold up there. I knew cold weather effected cars/trucks but I didn't know the weather effected it that much. Southern GA. SC line is nice weather. We even had a snow flurry the other day.

Anything special at the 10,000 mile check up? We don't drive that much. I'm afraid my warranty on the free maintenance will run out before I have anything done.
    Funny you should say that. We have the '11 Avy and a '10 FJC. The FJ has 3500 miles in 10 months and gets 10K oil changes with this new synthetic 0w20 oil. I, too, have a feeling that the most I'll get is a 5k and 10k oil change for the Avy and one for the FJ out of the free maintenance program. Since we drive mostly short distances, I tried to convince the F&I guy at the dealership to forgo his talk on the additional pre-paid maintenance program. He wasn't happy, but did cut it short.

I have an expensive set of snow tires (Blizzaks) on the FJ; however, we did have some light snow the other day and I was happy with the performance of the OE Michelins on the Avy. I've heard that the OE Bridgestones on the Avy are horrible. There were two Blizzard Pearl Limiteds on the lot when we bought and we went with the car that had the Michelins. Glad I did.
    Thanks robsis, Good to know I'm not the only one that does not drive a lot. The good thing about that is you do not wear a car out. :) Right?

With rising gas prices, I thought perhaps, we should have bought a Prius. I know the cars would be totally different. Comfort for gas mileage. Has anyone owned a Prius out there? I'm not going to run out and do any trading. That would be counter productive and foolish. Especially with the amount of miles I drive. HOWEVER, in a few years, maybe then. MAYBE!

I've done some checking on real gas. There are some real gas stations in SC. Some around here. There is a web site that tells you where all real gas stations are. I do not know how accurate this site is but here is the site for anyone interested. http://pure-gas.org/
    edited December 2010
    Well, what happen to everyone? I guess it's the Holidays.I bet everyone is froze in. You would think if your froze inside your home you would be on the computer though. Yes, I know that don't make sense, or is it since. No I don't drink.

My Avalon is running great. I can tell I have the Bridgestone tires with the cold weather, especially when it's cold. I don't believe a set of Michelins would ride like this. The Bridgstones are ok once they warm up. Oh well, life goes on. Merry Christmas everyone, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Oh yea, here is a guy that supposedly is comparing Buick VS. Avalon. He is so bios it's not even funny. Never the less, I had to share with the group.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26zmv7qG9CQ

Motor Trend "Car of the year" ?? Which car is it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKaSaIEZNg
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Thanks for the chuckles on the Buick vs. Avalon guy. "The rear leg room is about the same", with a quick camera pan, was the laugh out loud point! Some folks just can't get over that GM brand loyalty.

I have ridden in the rear seat of my neighbor's new Buick
    I've owned around 5 buick park avenues and I was really excited when the lucerne came out. I got around 28mpg on the road with the park avenues so I assumed the lucerne would have to be even better. Two of my friends bought them and all they did was complain about the gas mileage. If it hadn't been for this I would not have even looked at a Toyota. Sure glad I did.

The comparison with the lacross was really funny. The storage doors don't shut unitl they shut. :):)

Spent a few days out of town last week and the town I was in got about 6 inches of snow. We spent the day and early evening driving around town before the plows had run. I was really impressed out the avy handed the snow. It will take me some getting used to as the tires don't spin like I'm accustomed to. You give it more gas and it just doesn't feel like you're going to gain anything but it just keep chugging along. Sure is different in a good way.

Now a sore spot. I called my dealer Monday and told them I though 7 months was long enough to figure out how to fix a compass. I told them I was going south for the winter the end of the month and I wanted a compass and I was going to start calling people until I got one. They think they can get something done so I'm giving them a week and if not I may not get it fixed but they will be busy answering consumer bureaus, lawyers, senator and representatives. If anyone knows of anyone else I should contact please let me know.
    edited December 2010
    GRAMZ,,,,,,,,, I would not let up on the dealer about your problem. My compass works great, and it must be your rear view mirror (only a guess). The cost to replace this item is around 12 hundred dollars, (now don't quote me on the cost, but I'm sure that's what they said to us in that class I went through), so I am guessing if there is a problem, it's in the mirror. ONLY a guess! AGAIN, mine works perfect. I didn't ever think I would use the compass and when you complain before I thought it was silly. Well, it's not!! I used my compass a lot now. Or at least I notice which way I am going more. Especially since we've been taken more small trips. Again my compass works great.

I'll be coming up for my first oil change soon. I have a coupon for free pin strips, so I'll probably have them both done then. Anyone in here have pin strip there car?? My Avalon is silver, with gray interior, and of course those attractive black floor mats. I use to sell cars and had a gray set mats left over from my Cadillac Alante (1992 model). I kept them for a souvenir, when I sold the car. Glad I did. :) Long story why I kept the mats. I recently put those mats in my Avalon. Really nice mats, thick and GRAY!

On you tube the comparison was silly. The center console does adjust on the Avalon LTD, model, the only thing I seen about the Buick I liked was access to the truck through the back seats. The lights in the Buick seemed nice. I would think the Avalon would smoke the Buick in a 0-60. Anyone know? I've also heard about bad gas mileage in the Buick Lacross. Plus dealing in cars, trust me on this. Toyota resell value is hard to beat.
    My 07 Avalon does have limited access to the trunk thru the back seat center console (when folded down). Has this feature been done away with on late models?

Are the two position adjustable rear seat backs still available?
    edited December 2010
    Center rear-seat access to the trunk is still there and the back seats still recline...I enjoy it in the back seat...and then I'm ordered to get out and drive! :shades:
    There is a small limited access to the back seat through a small opening. The discussion started when Buick was compared to Avalon in post note. (LOOK at youtube on post note).

I said the only thing I liked about the Buick was access to the truck through the back seat. By letting the seat down. HOWEVER, I forgot all about the reclining rear seat. I"m always driving. :) Any problems with your 07? Just curious. Take care and Happy Holidays.
    Dealing in cars I've owned several Buicks. The 3.8 engine is one of the best engines out there. Legendary! Great mpg and enough pep to get you by. Bullet proof. They always do away with things that work. They meaning big companies.
    I agree with you.

I think their rule is if it ain't broke, break it.
    My first car was a 64 Dodge Polaria, 2 door with a big block 318, and push button automatic. I bought the car with 100 thousand miles on it. My teacher sold it to me and said "do not hot rod this car, it won't take it", Well, being a teenager, every corner, I boiled the tires. Only one tire would spin. Later on they came out with a small block 318, both are bullet proof.

My grandpa owned a 64 Chevy Impala maybe a 63 with a 327, 2 speed transmission. Going 20 to 30 mile per hour that car would kick down to first gear and outrun most cars for a few miles. After 70 you would need a third gear which it didn't offer. Great car, with an odd transmission.

I owned a Dodge with a slant 6, my wife always asked why it made that sound. I told her honey, these engines sound like sewing machines, they are simply purring. Not one bit of problems with any of these cars.

Of course when I dabbled in cars. I bought many cars then sold them. However, I did have the luxury of owning some nice cars for a brief time. Impala SS (96 model), Cadillac Allante, (92 model) Both are fine cars and both are very fast. I even had the privilege of driving an NSX produce my Nissan.

The point is the big car companies are always changing. No matter what, I believe it comes down to the almighty buck. My opinion of course. I am one to believe that some things are better left along. I do understand emissions changing, mpg changing, so I can somewhat understand change. Our slant six got a steady 20 mpg and that's 25 to 30 years ago.

The Avalon is a rare breed. I've owned two but one was only a short time. So basically I truly only owned this one. The 6 speed is something else. I really believe if rear wheel drive was offer would be a improvement. I can see that happening in the future. HOWEVER they might not offer that ever because it would cut down the MPG. My opinion it does need RWD. I guess any Lexus owners would know better than me. Well, enough for today.

The worse car I've own was a Rambler.
    In answer to your question, I think my 07 is probably the nicest car I have ever owned. I would not hesitate to buy another one, but since I only have about 42K on the 07, it is a non-issue for now. My vehicle is an XL with leather and heated seats, a combination that did not seem to be available from a lot of dealers.

The vehicle required a TSB transmission reprogram on the 5 speed very soon after I purchased it, and I had my dealer install the all metal VVTI oil line before the issue became a recall (most folks got a rubber line during the recall). Both of these issues have been resolved in later model Avalons (6 speed tranny and metal oil line from the factory).
    Yea, with 42 thousand, I see no need to trade in. I have a 2001 Dodge with 53 thousand miles on it. I bought it new in 2000. Like you, I see no need to update simply because I can.

I didn't understand what you meant about the tranny. WTI oild? Please explain. Thanks, Pop!
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I spoke with Jerry in KS. The warranty reverts back to the time you purchased the car. So for example: If you purchase the 6 year, 75000 mile Platinum warranty (which I will for $549.00) 3 years kicks in after the first 3 years, giving you an additional 3 years. Also an additional 39 thousand miles added to the original 36 thousand miles. $183.00 bucks a year for those additional miles or years is worth the comfort it gives me. Should anything happen after Toyota's original warranty, things will cost a lot more. With the electronics the way they are now, trust me, it will be a lot more then the $549. You can call Toyota, it's a legitimate warranty that Jerry offers. His price can go up whenever Toyota decides to increase the premium for it.
    Anyway, just thought I'd give those of you who questrioned it an update. My dealer in GA says they will honor it.
    Are you anywhere around EVANS. GA. ?
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Nan, I don't know where that is. I'm 21 miles from Savannah.
    Well we're North of Savanna. :O)
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I took my 2001 LTD from Ohio, through PA, MD and VA. Overall the car handled very well in all the snow and wind that blew through the area in both directions. I found a couple things on the car and wondered if anyone else had noticed it. I am not avery big guy but I found I could feel myself sitting on something hard under the seat, it was very uncomfortable after a bit. I am wondering if this is the heating/cooling mechanism.

I did not get great mileage (25 MPG) but I attribute that to the driving conditions etc. I did find that the AVERAGE MPH display is locked at 35MPH. I will have to take it to the dealer to check on that.

Does anyone but me get irratated that the wiper seems to go one pass too often when you spray the window?
    When the current generation Avalon was released around 05, the 5-speed automatic transmission had a low speed shifting issue. By mid 07, Toyota had put out a TSB to electronically reprogram the transmissions for smoother shifts. The 6-speed automatic was released to further correct this issue a couple of years ago.

The VVTI oil line failures started happening after Toyota released the current design V-6 engine in 02 or 03. The rubber oil line would fail with no warning and dump all the engine oil on the ground as folks were driving. Toyota had an all metal line for some applications, but the dealers were reluctant to make the change and Toyota would not acknowledge the problem. For the whole sorry story, google "ToyotaV6OilLineScandal". A recall was finally issued, but Toyota replaced the rubber line with a new "improved" rubber line. All new vehicles were built with metal lines starting during the 08 model year.

Toyota has always been reluctant to step up to vehicle issues, but I think they got their wakeup call in the last year or so.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    On the wiper, that extra pass is designed to clear away the dribble that always rolls down the windshield after spraying. It's a great feature!
    Got a new rear view mirror installed today. The compass worked on the way home but the real test will come next week when I take a 1500 miles trip to strange territory. If the new one works and the old one don't you would think it would be easy to find out the difference and fix it.

I'm not sure who's giving us the run around on this issue, the dealers or Toyota. I think Toyota is trying to avoid replacing more than they have to thinking they will find a cheaper fix.
    Did you catch the cost? I know you didn't have to pay but did you ask what the cost would have been *IF* you had to pay. I am so curious. We are buying the extended warranty as soon as we get our bills, money straighten out. Good Lord Willing we are.
    No, I didn't get the cost of the mirror but I guess I don't doubt the 1,200 someone put out earlier. You have your compass, home link and dimming feature up there. Sure don't think it cost them that much to make but that what we would have to pay for it.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Merry Christmas to all...thank you for the stimulating conversations and I look forward to more into 2011! :)
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    donb1, I felt the same hard spot on my seat and it was very uncomfortable. I kept adjusting the seat and finally found the sweet spot and its feel very good now and no hard spot.
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    I talked to Toyota regarding the $1000.00 cash back they offered on Avalon after their supposed "When is the best time to buy your new Toyota " - "Now is the time to buy promotion". I purchased our car 4 days prior to their cash promotion on Avalon , dealer stated they didn't know it was coming, which I believe. Basically the head guy in the customer service department at Toyota said tough. Guess their promotions are nothing but a lie. It wasn't a good day as I have purchased many Chrysler products and if a promotion came out within the next month I would get the rebate or cash allowance.

We love the car but sure feel the customer service department at Toyota sucks. Its no wonder everyone is waiting to purchase. This will be our last Toyota because of the way the guy at customer serviced acted with such arrogance.
    Ours wasn't 4 days, it was more like three weeks, however, our friend who sold us our '11 Avy, the fleet mgr at the dealership, said he was surprised about the incentive, so I would believe your dealer when they tell you they did not know.

Also, not sure how you financed, however, at least here in AZ, my friend said that to get the $1k cash back, you HAD TO use the Toyota Motor captive financing at the 'current rate', which was not the 0% but 5.9%, so he said they get you one way or the other on that cash back. If you got a good deal on the finance rate, you may have come out ahead on this one. When I ran our numbers, using the 2.9% we got versus the 5.9% we would have paid, we came out almost $700 ahead, so I would have chosen not to get the $1k cash back. Now, if I could have gotten the 0% instead, I would have saved another $560 or so, so that I would have possibly done. If you paid cash, then it is another story, tho.

We got a good enough deal on ours, tho, that I'm happy either way.

Glad, at least, that you love the car, as we do ours. Did you get the Limited?
    edited December 2010
    I believe FEDERAL law is that you are entitles you to any savings on ANYTHING that goes on sale 30 days after purchase. I am not a lawyer and I could be wrong. My wife bought something a few years back. It wasn't a car but an expensive item from a store. The item went on sale, the store at first refused to give her the sale price (which was quite a bit difference I might add). After her insisting it was FEDERAL law, she claimed to me and the store manager that had to abide by federal law, they caved in and gave her the full difference. All Toyota dealers are stores, so I suspect the same law would apply. HOWEVER, with that said, I am guessing the way you bought your Toyota would play a big part in this. AGAIN this is ONLY a guess. The Federal law is a real law that people do not know about, or seem to care. Naturally for us any incentive would not apply we bought our 11' some time back and I knew incentives would be around the corner. I simply didn't want to wait.
    nan48,

Not sure about that one. Stores can change their policies on price matching and returns. Amazon.com used to price match/adjust within 30 days of the sale (on their own prices, too) and refund you the difference. They changed that policy awhile back and no longer do it. Many stores will price match within 15/30 days; however, many do not. I tried looking on Wiki and google for anything on your comment with no success; however, I may not have used the right search terms.

It would be interesting to see if that law does exist....

No matter, it is good business to give the sale price after the fact, or to price match within an certain amount of time...and I would bet that that dealership could've pushed it with Toyota and gotten the incentive through all in the spirit of good customer service....
    My wife just reminded me this same thing happen a few years back on a plasma TV we bought from Circuit City. The price of Plasma TV's have not come down at this point and we paid right at 22 hundred dollars for a nice 40" TV. After 3 weeks, another chain outlet ran the same TV on sale for under 1,800 dollars. We did get the difference in price after they made sure it was the same model. OF COURSE, this is Circuit City price match guarantee, and the federal law was never quoted or came up. Cars/trucks, with dealer incentives I would think would be different. I can not see myself arguing with a dealer if I found my 2011 Avalon dealer cheaper or on sale somewhere else, back when I purchased it. We all know that dealers are different with different prices from city to city. So my thoughts is this would NOT apply to cars.
    "..made sure it was the same model.."

Which is why Video Only demands that the manufacturer supply them with UNIQUE model numbers.
    Costco does the same thing...their models are IDENTICAL but the sticker shows an extra letter or is a 605 not a 60, so other stores will generally not price match them.....
    edited December 2010
    For us, it was nearly 500 dollars back on a new TV was a blessing. I was very happy. Of course now a days paying EVEN $1,800 for a plasma TV would be a rip off. We now want a 3-D TV, but this time we're waiting for the price drop. We still have the 40" plasma.

IF I bought a 2011 Avalon and days later they had a better sale. I would definitely talk to someone. At least give it a shot.

In our search for an Avalon we had to get dealers to compete for my business. I found this method to work much better. Our Best deal come from Atlanta, the dealer I bought my car from a dealer close to me that came within 100 dollars of that low offer I had. But to add a twist to this story I had a trade in. So it wasn't just the low cost of the car but how much I could get in trade on my other Avalon. All in all, I got a good deal. I'm happy with the New Avalon. I bought a used Avalon only to find out it had electrical problems. I didn't feel right taking advantage of someone else. LIKE that woman took advantage of me. Trade it in was my only option. All in all I would have NEVER bought a new 11 if not for that. I'm glad I did and I really like that car. I am very impressed with the buttons, power, mpg, comfort.