Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Nice to get back $500...makes the trip and the asking all worth it.

As to 3D TV, our friends got an expensive Samsung setup a short while ago and, at least for me, I'll stick with my 46" HD LCD set for now. The glasses felt clunky and both my wife and I got mild headaches and eye achyness after watching a movie over at their house. The 3D was OK; however, not enough for me to want to get one.

Seems cool at the store; however, just not sold on it yet....especially after our experience watching the movie....
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2010
    robis No I didn't get the Limited, but purchased a few options. We did get a good price on the car but the extra 1000.00 would of been great.

I talked to someone in customer service and then was sent higher up the chain. The guy I talked to was in my mind a perfect no man, no personality at all and I was being very nice to him. When asked if I could talk to someone else he stated that their wasn't anyone above him on this policy its the way it is and basically tough luck not purchasing during the cash program. As a sales rep for 24 years I would of never handled it this way. But then again I believed in customer service was number one priority.

I will try and pursue the Federal law if their is one!

Yes we really like the car, just wish our taste wasn't spoiled by the guy in customer service.

Take care and thanks for your responses.
    thunders,

Did you try Toyota Customer Service? They are really big right now on their survey responses, etc. Might help, and you can always ding them in the survey and let the dealership know why. My Fleet Mgr friend at Toyota told me that there is a lot of money to be lost by a dealership and the sales team when those surveys don't have all excellents on them....didn't used to be that way but is that way now.

Just a thought. Enjoy your Avalon!

Also, just curious, what color combo did you get?
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    One thing I learned is looking into THIS blogs, well, you can get all kinds of tips. Thanks, Robis for the information on the 3-D TV. I liked what I saw at the store. HOWEVER, I only watched it a few seconds. My wife and me are cautious of germs. Putting our face on something that everyone else has during the sick season, well, just didn't sit right with us. :o) One reason we have a camper.

On the 1,000.00 dollar rebate. I think I would call customer service like someone thought of. They want to keep us happy, but I can't see them making a dealer give you back a grand. Good luck though and keep us informed.

Getting back $500.00+ was great on the TV. However it's not comparing apples to apples when it comes to the man getting back a 1,000.00 dollar on his recently purchase Avalon. Circuit City price match guarantee. Back to our TV. We bought an ED TV. HD just came out and we knew no different. One reason the ED went on sale, so much, so quick. We shop for good buys and our 27" just played out after 12 years. So needless to say we don't change TV's much. I can see a difference in HD and the old ED we have. Not much but some. Yes, I know there are great deals on HD now a days. First thing is the extended warranty, THEN maybe look into a TV. Maybe! Thanks for the information.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The question BEGS to be asked...

Did you advise the dealer of the electrical problems so the next buyer wouldn't be, feel, HAD..??
  • thundersthunders Member Posts: 6
    robsis It was the Toyota Customer Service Rep who stated I couldn't go any higher this is their policies. Yes I gave the dealer a great survey as they did a great job, but gave the Toyota Customer Service a big fat F. Never heard another thing from Toyota, guess the 1000.00 is worth more than a possible repeat customer.

I won't have anytime until after the 5th of Jan to do anything else and then I will put some effort into this and see how much they really care about customers.
    Good luck, then. I thought it was your dealer who was letting you down. I'm surprised that your dealership is not fighting for you on this one; however, maybe they can't....and probably don't want it coming out of their pocket...

Keep us posted on any progress you make....
    edited December 2010
    Well, I just purchase a extended Warranty for my 2011 Avalon from Jerry. I bought the 8 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. We thought about it compared which warranty was the best for us. So we bought the extended warranty. Remember back in our blog there was some discussion about about buying the warranty. We figured if ONE electronic item plays out then it would pay for itself. PLUS we went with the 8 years because it is transferable to another buyer and would help the resell value. I wanted to act now before a warranty price increase. We talked with Jerry in Kansas for some time and I'll keep everyone updated on how this works out. I hope I never need it. :o) Our Avalon to this date only has 3,640 miles on it. Yea, I know that's not many miles.
    nan48,

Congrats. You are quite correct on that electronic item comment. Just had a friend lose his in-dash NAV/Stereo out of warranty and it cost them over $2k.

I also agree on the transferability. We got a quick sale on our '05 Highlander because of that, so: Wise Choice! :)
  • daveqdaveq Member Posts: 20
    I bought an extended warranty from Jerry too. In fact it was because of your earlier posts asking about Jerry that made me contact him. Overall I am very happy with the great purchase price and experience. Browsing this forum has helped me saved money!
    edited January 2011
    Yea, because of this blog I happened to find out about Jerry too. :) It is a Toyota warranty and will increase the value of our cars. If we ever sell them. I hope I never have to use it but if WE do this our Warranty should pay for itself. Right? I'm curious, If I may ask, What warranty did you buy?
  • daveqdaveq Member Posts: 20
    8 years/75k. My other car, a 02 Camry bought in 01, is just now approaching 75k miles so I have no use for higher miles.
    Probably a good choice. I forget which one we went with now. But I'm sure it was 8 years. We don't drive much. I did hear the 2012 Avalon's was going to a mirror or the 2011's. This is a very good thing for owner of 2011's. I only have 36 hundred miles on my car. Like I said we don't drive much.
  • why_toyotawhy_toyota Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2011 Avalon in mid-November '10. Since Day 1, the horn works intermittently, the compass is stuck on NE, intermittent wiper control is wired backwards, constant wipers cut off every once in a while. I don't get it -- if I bought a flatscreen TV at Best Buy that was defective, they'd just exchange it for another one. Why won't Toyota just exchange the defective car? I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to start dealing with problems with my old Avalon (2002 model). I have a case open with Toyota Corporate, but I think it'll be a long battle to get buyback initiated...
    I'm curious...what have they done so far to remedy your problems? Have they replaced the rear-view mirror compass assembly? Rewired the wiper stalk? Done nothing?
    edited January 2011
    When it comes to problems like this. A lot depends on the dealer. A lot of times you are pushed to the side, hoping your warranty will run out. Sometimes dealerships will take your problems seriously. Again a lot has to do with the dealer. You'll never get an exchange this I can assure you off. With all due respect, it's NOT like buying a TV at best buy. Once your car was titled then the value of your car/ my car/ everyone car, went down. I suspect a 20% loss in value. You are not comparing apples to apples when you say "I can take a TV back to Best buy" Hope this helps.
  • oldman925oldman925 Member Posts: 22
    Reference the platinum warranty . Have not been looking at this site for a while . After reading the last msgs it seems as though some of you people have bought the warranty from Jerry .

Is this correct ?????

For the buyers of the 11 year Avalon how many years did you buy . and what did you pay ?????

Appreciate that info . Thanks in advance .

Not sure how the years work , we get 36 months and we buy additional 36 months for a total of 72 months .

the 37th month starts the new warranty and ends at the 72 nd month from the purchase date

Is that correct .

I have written down 8 yrs for 75000 miles Price 564 is that correct ????

Regards OLD MAN
    edited January 2011
    I bought the 8yr 100,000 mile from Jerry. I don't drive much but the extra miles will make a good selling point. That is IF I ever sell. I paid a little over 1,000 dollars. I'm not sure of the exact amount but it was more than 1,000 but less than 1,100. Everything was done professional and in a very timely manner. I received the booklet from Toyota of California, receipt of payment from Jerry. He said to pass the word around. He does make money, naturally, but he doesn't make as much as other dealers. A very nice man. Our dealership could NOT touch the price they said. In fact "they said" they pay more for the warranty than the price I paid. Of course, I know they MIGHT have not been lying. The price could be set by the dealership. Not the man giving me the price. Does that make sense? I hope this helps. My wife just said 1,139 she thought. I won't change all the above. :o)
    The Warranty starts the day you bought the car. So even though we bought a 8 year warranty is actually only a 5 additional years. Plus it is required you keep the maintenance up to date on your car, or warranty will be void. I really think it's a good investment. I hear of tales as electric, heated seats costing 3 grand. A dash cost over 2 grand. A rear view mirror costing 12 hundred. As you know the Limit has a lot of gadgets. I hope I NEVER has to use it but I have it and it makes me feel better. I KNOW it's an excellent selling point, and it is transferable to another person for a 50 dollar fee.
  • beekeroobeekeroo Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
  • beekeroobeekeroo Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    That sounds right. I'm sure it's the same price oldman and I was quoted. I would act before prices goes up. I paid more but I bought the 8 yr. 100 mile warranty. For resell value. Hope this helps and welcome to our blog. I've learned a lot about Avalon's in here. Again, Welcome!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Not sure Best Buy would exchange your TV either, unless you bought THEIR warranty plan for the product. Then they will, maybe.
    Recent trip from SC to Birmingham got an average of 26.6 MPG. Computer said I was getting a little better 27.8...Car was packed with suit cases, two people, etc. Road like a dream. MAYBE and MAYBE some wind noise around 80. Winds out side was mild on the way to Birmingham but strong on the way back. 36 thousand miles on this Avalon. FYI..........
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    I went ahead and purchased the extended toyota warranty from Jerry at Midwest Toyota in Kansas. I settled on the 7yr/125,000 option.

I called my dealer and asked him for a quote and he was about 2 time as much as Midwest Toyota, BUT after visiting with him awhile I think I know the difference. My dealer doesn't sell the Toyota warranty. The one he sells is bumper to bumper. The Toyota one has a number of exceptions. My dealer was seemed like he wanted all the work to be done at his shop which leads me to believe other dealers may not recognize it.

The one from Jerry satisfies my requirements, the price was right and Jerry was a pleasure to deal with.

I've got my confirmation from him and the warranty will be coming directly from Toyota.

I have 12,750 miles on my car now and haven't changed the computer gas mileage since I bought it. My driving habit have changes and I'm in Phoenix for the winter with lots of traffic. My average mileage up to now is 27.3 mpg. I've been extremely happy with the car and hope I can put 125,000 miles on it without using the warranty.
    Gramz,

I live in Flag and love how the Avy comes up the hill from the valley...nary a blip with an occasional downshift from 6th to 5th....and the mileage is excellent!

Come visit! The traffic is tolerable and the downtown is fun! :shades:
    Is there a way to reset the computer? You sounded like you was saying you could do that. Perhaps I misunderstood you. My computer is always off on my mpg. I'm not surprised by that. I've actually got better mileage than my computer claims. However most the time it's not better. My driving habits are MUCH better now. I know the power is there, if I ever need it. I am happy with everything about the car. Amazed on how the shifting is. One heck of a car.

Good choice gramz on the warranty. Seems like you drive much more than me. I only hope I get one oil change in before the free maintenance runs out. :)
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    I'm not sure what you're asking but you can reset the mpg and start over. Many people do this to just check mileage for a trip. I don't have my manual handy but I think you just hold the button down and it will zero out.
    Thanks Gramz, Yea, I know to reset the trip button. I figure the gas mileage on EVERY fill up. Write it down and see what I'm getting. In fact I write EVERYTHING down I do to the car in a little black book. Plus naturally I keep all receipts. When you go to sell the car this will help the resell value tremulously.

If my wife would leave some things at home we probably would get better gas mileage on trips. She's the type of woman who wants to take EXTRA clothes, drinks, etc. Thanks again,
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    To reset the computer hit the Display button until you get the information you are seeking then press the display button again until it resets. You can do this to all the cumulative displays as well.

Don B
    T H AN K S !!! Don !!!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Recent trip from SC to Birmingham got an average of 26.6 MPG. Computer said I was getting a little better 27.8...Car was packed with suit cases, two people, etc. Road like a dream. MAYBE and MAYBE some wind noise around 80. Winds out side was mild on the way to Birmingham but strong on the way back. 36 thousand miles on this Avalon. FYI..........

Posts like this make me miss my 06 Avalon more and more.... :(

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Mistake in my posting is I have 36 HUNDRED miles, NOT 36 THOUSAND miles, big mistake. If your 06 is running good then by all mean KEEP IT. I mean there is always going to be an upgrade of some kind, these companies have to continue to upgrade. I hear the 2012 Models is a mirror to the 2011. That's good for us and good for anyone wanting to save some money. Just buy a 2011 with low miles. HOWEVER with that said the six speed transmission is really a nice upgrade. I would have to say I am totally impressed by this transmission. So I guess I'm flip flop on what I'm saying. I guess it boils down to your money situation weather you should trade up or not. What kind of gas mileage do you get in your 06? I'm sure it's about the same. I've heard of people getting 32 MPG, at least they claimed to get that. NOT me, I never got over 28 MPG that I can remember but our car is always packed on long trips. I guess a better idea would be if a person reading our blog would post their gas mileage. Hope this helps!!!
    My 06 is already gone. I replaced it with an 09 Genesis V6 and it cannot compare to the Avalon. I remember being able to pull 30 in that car at around 70 with just me in it. On a trip from Jersey to Baltimore with my GF and luggage at speeds from 75 - 85 I got 28.8. My usual mileage was 20.5-21.5. That was mostly city driving or gridlock highway.

Well it's good to know you MISS your Avalon. I know I would miss mine. We had a 2003 Mazda Protege. The MPG in that car was really bad for such a small car. One reason for getting this one. The MPG is not that much different but the ride is soooo much better. I'm glad I waited. This Avalon has so much power too. I mean it's there if you need it. At first it was hard to keep my foot off the gas. Now that I'm driving more conservative I can see the savings in the MPG. I guess 80 is not conservative but you really don't realize your going 80.

How do you like your Genesis? By what you say I'm guessing you don't like it as much as you did your Avalon. ??
    My dislikes are mostly in the ride department. It is completely jittery and unsettled. I really didn't notice it on my test drives because I didn't drive it on the roads I drive everyday. Add that in with the several nagging little issues and an engine that makes one of the worst dry startup noises I have ever heard and I simply cannot wait to get rid of it. 15 months left on the lease and its gone. I'm most likely buying a low mileage Town Car (2010/11) or leasing another Avalon. I know with either of those vehicles I will get a fantastic ride. The Lincoln is outdated and gas mileage isn't great but I don't drive that much for it to matter and I've owned them before and love them. With the Avalon I know what I am getting as even with the 2011 refresh it is largely unchanged from the 05 redo.

• kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    The ride on the newer TC s is not as smooth as the earlier models, say the 2007 or 2008. Try it before you buy it. On the other hand, the latest issue of Car & Driver rates rental cars and companies and the TC rates very highly. At 59 dba at 70 mph I think it's one of if not the quietest car tested. Always get a certified car with major component protection for 6 yr/100k miles. It doesn't kick in until the factory warranty expires.
    I've driven the newer ones. They still ride pretty floaty, back in 03 when they got rack and pinion steering and the new suspension they changed quite a bit. If you want a really floaty TC you have to go way back to 89 (last of the "box" bodies) They were the best riding cars ever. Didn't handle worth a damn, but, I didn't care

Always get a certified car with major component protection for 6 yr/100k miles

Absolutely, they charge a bit more, but it is worth it to go certified.

My mazda had a bad start up noise. Almost like the oil was gone from the top of the engine. And it was Japan made. I had 53 thousand miles on it and no issues on that mazda protege. Just a hard ride, wore out tires fast, and not good gas mileage for a small car. I'm glad I upgraded. I did buy a 2000 Avalon at first. The steering in that car was easier than this 2011. But that car had electrical problems so we traded it in on this new one. Only way I could sleep at night. I could have sold it to anyone, passed on the problem but simply not ethical. The dealer will just pass it on to a wholesaler or fix the problem
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    I experimented with the rear shocks on my 07 TC. It's counterintuitive because of the air springs. The factory shocks are of very high pressure (off the car, your body weght might get them to compress an inch, if that). I put on very soft Delco shocks and, surprise of surprises, the rear end rode like a truck. It seems the high pressure shocks act like supplemental springs in the rear. The lower pressure shocks let the body settle lower than the factory shocks did, similar to a 300 pounder getting into the back seat, and the air springs pumped up to regain the original ride height. Of course the car didn't weigh 300 lbs more, so the higher pressure in the air springs ruined the ride. I think Ford went with softer Monroes in the 2009-10 models and this did the same thing.

The front suspension has coil springs, so the softer shock will result in a softer ride. But the design is similar to a strut with the shock body supporting the bottom of the spring, so you can't just replace the shock with anything you might find at Autozone.

I had two 2010 models for a day each and I couldn't get over how stiff the ride was. My salesman found me an 07 driven by a little old lady from Garland, TX with only 7k miles on it. I drove it for 10 minutes and I bought it.
    Thanks, I will certainly check it out. I can't remember the year of the last one I drove. I know a lot of TC loyalists were upset with the 03+ models that is why I mentioned it.

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I did buy a 2000 Avalon at first. The steering in that car was easier than this 2011.

THAT bugs me..... I love the easy steering, don't like sports car steering at all, no matter what I drive. That's one of the reasons I like Toyotas, among many others, the steering was always a bit easier, certainly easier than Honda. If they're going to tighter steering, they may force ME into a Town Car!
    I with you on the steering. Nevada banker! I was surprised by such a difference. I don't mind and it is easier than my 03 Mazda Protege. Perhaps that's not apples and apples though. I agree the steering should remain effortless, like the good old Toyota's. My old Corolla (1995 model) could be steered with one figure. The 2000 Avalon could be steered the same way.

On another note I forgot who told me how to reset my computer. But thanks! I did as you said. go figure. I guess it's in the manual? Now the computer says I'm getting a little over 20 MPG. Of course I only went to town and back. But thanks! :)
  • cmb08cmb08 Member Posts: 24
    Hi.
    I mostly see people posting highway mileage. What are others getting in around town/urban driving mileage. I am only getting 19-20 MPG...My 10 year old Avalon got 22-24.
    I get around 21-24 city, I think I posted this on post notes. My city is NOT normal city though. City / country ! Hope this helps.
    My wife does most of our city driving going to the store and a 5 mi commute to work at a local hospital. We get 20-22 in town.
    back to the warranty question please . one of you stated the warranty as BUMPER TO BUMPER as opposed to the Toyota warranty . can some one expand on this . plan on talking to my dealer on the warranty protection. thanks again . by the way i am in Calif . and it seems as many of you are not . Think it makes any difference?????? Message from OLDMAN
    edited February 2011
    The extended warranty offer by my dealer is NOT a bumper to bumper. The warranty offered from my dealer is MUCH higher and covers the same thing as the one Jerry sells. My dealer does lead me to believe that"their" warranty is better and covers more. Truth is the warranty are the same. For me it's worth the extra money. These cars have a lot of extra's electronic equipment that's expensive to fix. I believe the dealers make a lot of money on these warranty's.
    Im confused , I thought you bought from Jerry . Still do not understand what is the difference between BUMPER TO BUMPER AND THE TOYOTO .
    Warranty .

What is the warranty you bought and from whome ??????
    I bought my Warranty from Jerry. I tried to buy a warranty from my dealer. Jerry was MUCH cheaper than my dealer with the same coverage. No extended warranty that I know is "bumper to bumper". However someone said their dealer offered a "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. I asked Jerry "how" he could sell the same warranty cheaper? He said he deals in volume and to spread the words. Hope this helps,