Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    Merry Christmas to all...thank you for the stimulating conversations and I look forward to more into 2011! :)
  • donb1, I felt the same hard spot on my seat and it was very uncomfortable. I kept adjusting the seat and finally found the sweet spot and its feel very good now and no hard spot.
  • I talked to Toyota regarding the $1000.00 cash back they offered on Avalon after their supposed "When is the best time to buy your new Toyota " - "Now is the time to buy promotion". I purchased our car 4 days prior to their cash promotion on Avalon , dealer stated they didn't know it was coming, which I believe. Basically the head guy in the customer service department at Toyota said tough. Guess their promotions are nothing but a lie. It wasn't a good day as I have purchased many Chrysler products and if a promotion came out within the next month I would get the rebate or cash allowance.

We love the car but sure feel the customer service department at Toyota sucks. Its no wonder everyone is waiting to purchase. This will be our last Toyota because of the way the guy at customer serviced acted with such arrogance.
    Ours wasn't 4 days, it was more like three weeks, however, our friend who sold us our '11 Avy, the fleet mgr at the dealership, said he was surprised about the incentive, so I would believe your dealer when they tell you they did not know.

Also, not sure how you financed, however, at least here in AZ, my friend said that to get the $1k cash back, you HAD TO use the Toyota Motor captive financing at the 'current rate', which was not the 0% but 5.9%, so he said they get you one way or the other on that cash back. If you got a good deal on the finance rate, you may have come out ahead on this one. When I ran our numbers, using the 2.9% we got versus the 5.9% we would have paid, we came out almost $700 ahead, so I would have chosen not to get the $1k cash back. Now, if I could have gotten the 0% instead, I would have saved another $560 or so, so that I would have possibly done. If you paid cash, then it is another story, tho.

We got a good enough deal on ours, tho, that I'm happy either way.

Glad, at least, that you love the car, as we do ours. Did you get the Limited?
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited December 2010
    I believe FEDERAL law is that you are entitles you to any savings on ANYTHING that goes on sale 30 days after purchase. I am not a lawyer and I could be wrong. My wife bought something a few years back. It wasn't a car but an expensive item from a store. The item went on sale, the store at first refused to give her the sale price (which was quite a bit difference I might add). After her insisting it was FEDERAL law, she claimed to me and the store manager that had to abide by federal law, they caved in and gave her the full difference. All Toyota dealers are stores, so I suspect the same law would apply. HOWEVER, with that said, I am guessing the way you bought your Toyota would play a big part in this. AGAIN this is ONLY a guess. The Federal law is a real law that people do not know about, or seem to care. Naturally for us any incentive would not apply we bought our 11' some time back and I knew incentives would be around the corner. I simply didn't want to wait.
    nan48,

Not sure about that one. Stores can change their policies on price matching and returns. Amazon.com used to price match/adjust within 30 days of the sale (on their own prices, too) and refund you the difference. They changed that policy awhile back and no longer do it. Many stores will price match within 15/30 days; however, many do not. I tried looking on Wiki and google for anything on your comment with no success; however, I may not have used the right search terms.

It would be interesting to see if that law does exist....

No matter, it is good business to give the sale price after the fact, or to price match within an certain amount of time...and I would bet that that dealership could've pushed it with Toyota and gotten the incentive through all in the spirit of good customer service....
    My wife just reminded me this same thing happen a few years back on a plasma TV we bought from Circuit City. The price of Plasma TV's have not come down at this point and we paid right at 22 hundred dollars for a nice 40" TV. After 3 weeks, another chain outlet ran the same TV on sale for under 1,800 dollars. We did get the difference in price after they made sure it was the same model. OF COURSE, this is Circuit City price match guarantee, and the federal law was never quoted or came up. Cars/trucks, with dealer incentives I would think would be different. I can not see myself arguing with a dealer if I found my 2011 Avalon dealer cheaper or on sale somewhere else, back when I purchased it. We all know that dealers are different with different prices from city to city. So my thoughts is this would NOT apply to cars.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..made sure it was the same model.."

Which is why Video Only demands that the manufacturer supply them with UNIQUE model numbers.
    Costco does the same thing...their models are IDENTICAL but the sticker shows an extra letter or is a 605 not a 60, so other stores will generally not price match them.....
    edited December 2010
    For us, it was nearly 500 dollars back on a new TV was a blessing. I was very happy. Of course now a days paying EVEN $1,800 for a plasma TV would be a rip off. We now want a 3-D TV, but this time we're waiting for the price drop. We still have the 40" plasma.

IF I bought a 2011 Avalon and days later they had a better sale. I would definitely talk to someone. At least give it a shot.

In our search for an Avalon we had to get dealers to compete for my business. I found this method to work much better. Our Best deal come from Atlanta, the dealer I bought my car from a dealer close to me that came within 100 dollars of that low offer I had. But to add a twist to this story I had a trade in. So it wasn't just the low cost of the car but how much I could get in trade on my other Avalon. All in all, I got a good deal. I'm happy with the New Avalon. I bought a used Avalon only to find out it had electrical problems. I didn't feel right taking advantage of someone else. LIKE that woman took advantage of me. Trade it in was my only option. All in all I would have NEVER bought a new 11 if not for that. I'm glad I did and I really like that car. I am very impressed with the buttons, power, mpg, comfort.
    Nice to get back $500...makes the trip and the asking all worth it.

As to 3D TV, our friends got an expensive Samsung setup a short while ago and, at least for me, I'll stick with my 46" HD LCD set for now. The glasses felt clunky and both my wife and I got mild headaches and eye achyness after watching a movie over at their house. The 3D was OK; however, not enough for me to want to get one.

Seems cool at the store; however, just not sold on it yet....especially after our experience watching the movie....
  • thundersthunders Posts: 6
    edited December 2010
    robis No I didn't get the Limited, but purchased a few options. We did get a good price on the car but the extra 1000.00 would of been great.

I talked to someone in customer service and then was sent higher up the chain. The guy I talked to was in my mind a perfect no man, no personality at all and I was being very nice to him. When asked if I could talk to someone else he stated that their wasn't anyone above him on this policy its the way it is and basically tough luck not purchasing during the cash program. As a sales rep for 24 years I would of never handled it this way. But then again I believed in customer service was number one priority.

I will try and pursue the Federal law if their is one!

Yes we really like the car, just wish our taste wasn't spoiled by the guy in customer service.

Take care and thanks for your responses.
    thunders,

Did you try Toyota Customer Service? They are really big right now on their survey responses, etc. Might help, and you can always ding them in the survey and let the dealership know why. My Fleet Mgr friend at Toyota told me that there is a lot of money to be lost by a dealership and the sales team when those surveys don't have all excellents on them....didn't used to be that way but is that way now.

Just a thought. Enjoy your Avalon!

Also, just curious, what color combo did you get?
    One thing I learned is looking into THIS blogs, well, you can get all kinds of tips. Thanks, Robis for the information on the 3-D TV. I liked what I saw at the store. HOWEVER, I only watched it a few seconds. My wife and me are cautious of germs. Putting our face on something that everyone else has during the sick season, well, just didn't sit right with us. :o) One reason we have a camper.

On the 1,000.00 dollar rebate. I think I would call customer service like someone thought of. They want to keep us happy, but I can't see them making a dealer give you back a grand. Good luck though and keep us informed.

Getting back $500.00+ was great on the TV. However it's not comparing apples to apples when it comes to the man getting back a 1,000.00 dollar on his recently purchase Avalon. Circuit City price match guarantee. Back to our TV. We bought an ED TV. HD just came out and we knew no different. One reason the ED went on sale, so much, so quick. We shop for good buys and our 27" just played out after 12 years. So needless to say we don't change TV's much. I can see a difference in HD and the old ED we have. Not much but some. Yes, I know there are great deals on HD now a days. First thing is the extended warranty, THEN maybe look into a TV. Maybe! Thanks for the information.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The question BEGS to be asked...

Did you advise the dealer of the electrical problems so the next buyer wouldn't be, feel, HAD..??
  • robsis It was the Toyota Customer Service Rep who stated I couldn't go any higher this is their policies. Yes I gave the dealer a great survey as they did a great job, but gave the Toyota Customer Service a big fat F. Never heard another thing from Toyota, guess the 1000.00 is worth more than a possible repeat customer.

I won't have anytime until after the 5th of Jan to do anything else and then I will put some effort into this and see how much they really care about customers.
    Good luck, then. I thought it was your dealer who was letting you down. I'm surprised that your dealership is not fighting for you on this one; however, maybe they can't....and probably don't want it coming out of their pocket...

Keep us posted on any progress you make....
    edited December 2010
    Well, I just purchase a extended Warranty for my 2011 Avalon from Jerry. I bought the 8 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. We thought about it compared which warranty was the best for us. So we bought the extended warranty. Remember back in our blog there was some discussion about about buying the warranty. We figured if ONE electronic item plays out then it would pay for itself. PLUS we went with the 8 years because it is transferable to another buyer and would help the resell value. I wanted to act now before a warranty price increase. We talked with Jerry in Kansas for some time and I'll keep everyone updated on how this works out. I hope I never need it. :o) Our Avalon to this date only has 3,640 miles on it. Yea, I know that's not many miles.
    nan48,

Congrats. You are quite correct on that electronic item comment. Just had a friend lose his in-dash NAV/Stereo out of warranty and it cost them over $2k.

I also agree on the transferability. We got a quick sale on our '05 Highlander because of that, so: Wise Choice! :)
  • daveqdaveq Posts: 20
    I bought an extended warranty from Jerry too. In fact it was because of your earlier posts asking about Jerry that made me contact him. Overall I am very happy with the great purchase price and experience. Browsing this forum has helped me saved money!
    edited January 2011
    Yea, because of this blog I happened to find out about Jerry too. :) It is a Toyota warranty and will increase the value of our cars. If we ever sell them. I hope I never have to use it but if WE do this our Warranty should pay for itself. Right? I'm curious, If I may ask, What warranty did you buy?
  • daveqdaveq Posts: 20
    8 years/75k. My other car, a 02 Camry bought in 01, is just now approaching 75k miles so I have no use for higher miles.
    Probably a good choice. I forget which one we went with now. But I'm sure it was 8 years. We don't drive much. I did hear the 2012 Avalon's was going to a mirror or the 2011's. This is a very good thing for owner of 2011's. I only have 36 hundred miles on my car. Like I said we don't drive much.
  • Bought a 2011 Avalon in mid-November '10. Since Day 1, the horn works intermittently, the compass is stuck on NE, intermittent wiper control is wired backwards, constant wipers cut off every once in a while. I don't get it -- if I bought a flatscreen TV at Best Buy that was defective, they'd just exchange it for another one. Why won't Toyota just exchange the defective car? I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to start dealing with problems with my old Avalon (2002 model). I have a case open with Toyota Corporate, but I think it'll be a long battle to get buyback initiated...
    I'm curious...what have they done so far to remedy your problems? Have they replaced the rear-view mirror compass assembly? Rewired the wiper stalk? Done nothing?
    edited January 2011
    When it comes to problems like this. A lot depends on the dealer. A lot of times you are pushed to the side, hoping your warranty will run out. Sometimes dealerships will take your problems seriously. Again a lot has to do with the dealer. You'll never get an exchange this I can assure you off. With all due respect, it's NOT like buying a TV at best buy. Once your car was titled then the value of your car/ my car/ everyone car, went down. I suspect a 20% loss in value. You are not comparing apples to apples when you say "I can take a TV back to Best buy" Hope this helps.
  • Reference the platinum warranty . Have not been looking at this site for a while . After reading the last msgs it seems as though some of you people have bought the warranty from Jerry .

Is this correct ?????

For the buyers of the 11 year Avalon how many years did you buy . and what did you pay ?????

Appreciate that info . Thanks in advance .

Not sure how the years work , we get 36 months and we buy additional 36 months for a total of 72 months .

the 37th month starts the new warranty and ends at the 72 nd month from the purchase date

Is that correct .

I have written down 8 yrs for 75000 miles Price 564 is that correct ????

Regards OLD MAN
    edited January 2011
    I bought the 8yr 100,000 mile from Jerry. I don't drive much but the extra miles will make a good selling point. That is IF I ever sell. I paid a little over 1,000 dollars. I'm not sure of the exact amount but it was more than 1,000 but less than 1,100. Everything was done professional and in a very timely manner. I received the booklet from Toyota of California, receipt of payment from Jerry. He said to pass the word around. He does make money, naturally, but he doesn't make as much as other dealers. A very nice man. Our dealership could NOT touch the price they said. In fact "they said" they pay more for the warranty than the price I paid. Of course, I know they MIGHT have not been lying. The price could be set by the dealership. Not the man giving me the price. Does that make sense? I hope this helps. My wife just said 1,139 she thought. I won't change all the above. :o)
    The Warranty starts the day you bought the car. So even though we bought a 8 year warranty is actually only a 5 additional years. Plus it is required you keep the maintenance up to date on your car, or warranty will be void. I really think it's a good investment. I hear of tales as electric, heated seats costing 3 grand. A dash cost over 2 grand. A rear view mirror costing 12 hundred. As you know the Limit has a lot of gadgets. I hope I NEVER has to use it but I have it and it makes me feel better. I KNOW it's an excellent selling point, and it is transferable to another person for a 50 dollar fee.
  • beekeroobeekeroo Posts: 4
    edited January 2011