Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anyone experience Sudden Unintended Acceleration in a Santa Fe?

Comments

• liz45liz45 Member Posts: 8
    Has your problem ever been solved? I am having the same problem with my 2010 Santa Fe. Thanks. Liz
  • fedup41fedup41 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Santa Fe in Mar. 06. My first experience with the un-intended acceleration happened in Dec. 06. Took it to a Hyundai dealer and they of course couldn't find anything wrong with it. Over the next couple of years it happened approximately three more times. Again took the vehicle to the dealer and once again nothing was found to be wrong with it. Each of the above mentioned instances happened while coming to a complete stop at a stop light or a stop sign. Each time the car was going straight and the acceleration only lasted seconds. But the brakes would not stop the car.
    The last time was two weeks ago. My wife was driving the car in a parking lot. She stopped at a parking lot intersection and it happened and it only happened for a few seconds and then it stopped and she turned right and then once again stopped while someone walked across the road and it happened once again. It only lasted a few seconds. She then turned right to go into a parking space. It once again accelerated but this time the car didn't stop until it hit the car parked in the next parking spot and then it pushed that car into the next parked car. Damage was done to both parked cars and also tore up my bumper and a fog light. Thank goodness no one was walking in front of the car or between the two parked cars.
    The car has now been at the dealership for almost two weeks and they of course say they can't find anything wrong with it.
    Don't know what I am supposed to do now. I am scared to drive the car for fear of it happening again and maybe injuring myself or someone else. This car could very easily surge while at a busy intersection and it could be pushed out into oncoming traffic causing several injuries. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Upon doing further research, I have found that for my 3.5-6 cyl, 2010 Santa Fe, the throttle position sensor was built into the throttle body. Thus, the entire throttle body (about a $250.00 part plus whatever labor costs that are involved) has to be replaced just to address a throttle position sensor issue. I have also found that my problem could be from a defective pedal position sensor (less expensive) or the engine control module (computer)(expensive). I am still experiencing the problem, and someday hope to have the issue resolved.
  • fwiw2ufwiw2u Member Posts: 1
    Yup. Yesterday. I was stopped at a red light when I realized that my usually reliable 2002 Santa Fe was trying to accelerate--despite my foot being on the brake. It was also making a loud revving sound. When the light turned green and I took my foot off the brake, the car practically leaped forward. I jammed both feet on the brake and pulled on the steering wheel for more leverage and was able to slow it down, but it was like trying to control a pack of wild horses. I was fortunate to make it through two lights on green but saw that the next light--a long one at a major intersection--had just turned red. So I swerved into a pocket for turning left into a Target parking lot, just barely avoided smashing into the back of the car turning ahead of me, wrestled my car into the lot and turned off the ignition. It didn't lurch to a stop in a very good place, though, so I turned it back on--big mistake. It immediately made that faster-and-faster revving sound and jumped forward, so I turned off the ignition again. I'll skip over the part about helpful strangers and tow operators and actually getting home to the following morning: I called Hyundai's USA headquarters (coincidentally only a few miles away) and told my story to a sympathetic young man named Kevin, who "opened a case" for me and told me to call back after getting a "diagnosis" from the local dealership. A pleasant "repair adviser" there called this afternoon to say the Santa Fe's cruise control cable had broken/was stuck in such a way that the car thought I wanted to go a nice, steady 120 mph or something. He said he wasn't surprised that the part had broken, given the 180,000 miles on the car, but WAS surprised that Hyundai hadn't engineered the cruise control system to default to 40 or 60 mph in this type of event. Furthermore, I have NEVER used the car's cruise control and don't understand why it was apparently engaged. When I called Hyundai HQ back with this information, a not-so-sympathetic woman asked what I expected Hyundai to do about it. Having been quoted a relatively paltry $240 to fix the car, I chose not to push the issue--instead stammering out something about just wanting Hyundai to know about the problem. But now, after finding this forum, I'm angry and will definitely contact the NHTSA. And think about getting a new car--not a Hyundai.
  • afraidafraid Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I found this web site. I have a 2004 Hyndi Santa Fe. Last summer I was in Spokane and I pulled onto a heavy traffic 4 lane. I was going slow because traffic was heavy and the light was red. I approached the light and stepped on the brake and it excellerated. I was horified. I tried putting it in nuetral and then the light changed and I just got on the freeway. I was in shock and wondered if I was crazy and it really was me but I knew it wasn't. I supressed the happening. Months later I was in Helena MT and coasting to a 4 way stop down hill. All 4 stops had cars. The car in front of me was waiting his turn and I stepped on the brake and it excellerated. I hit the car in front of me. I tried everything. I tried neutral and it would not go into neutral. I tried the emergency brake and it would not stop. The car in front of me had just jumped forward and sat there. I hit it a second time before I turned the ignition off. I could not beleive the cars all proceeded on their way as if nothing happened. So I took the car to Missoula (my closest dealership) and told them what had happened. I got a call telling me they could not reproduce the problem and therefore do nothing about it. I said are you telling me Hyndi has had no other reports of such situations? They said no one had. I wrote in detail the two times it had happened. I made them sign it. It has happened two more times but less serious times. Once I felt it and immediately was able to put it in neutral. The 4th time again I put it in neutral. SO now I drive around and everytime I need to brake I either go into neutral or brace myself on the gear shift ready to go into neutral. I realize every time I could kill someone or myself be killed. I can not imagine Hyndi is not concerned about this problem. WHy would they want to have what happened to Toyota? I would think that they would be happy to recall any cars reported with this problem. Blows my mind. If anyone gets a response form Hyndi please let me know.
  • crashatschoolcrashatschool Member Posts: 1
    Now comes my experience. As I was backing out in the parking lot at the school where I teach last Saturday, the car suddenly started to accelerate and would not stop. The break did nothing and I didn't stop until my car went half way through the brick wall behind me. I was so shaken at the possibility of what could have happened if it was a normal school day. My 2008 with 25,000 miles on it is now totaled and I am buying a new car. I have been assured that the "problems" have been fixed across the board because of the Toyota incidences. I hope that true, because I loved my Santa Fe and am probably going to buy a 2012. YIKES!
  • skiking1245skiking1245 Member Posts: 1
    Hesitation to surge describes it perfectly for us. At a Christmas party last night old friend showed up in a 2011 Sante Fe like ours. Loves his car as we do but then we talked about the hesitation and surge thing and we both have it. It is pretty scary pulling out in traffic when it happens. At first you think it's not going to go and then it goes like crazy. We have told dealer repeatedly and they say nothing is wrong with it. We are documenting but are running out of patience. It is a very dangerous situation and are about ready to go to NTSB. I really think Hyundai knows something is going on but don't know what to do and don't want the hurt the terrific sales volume they are having.
  • rad18rad18 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem, at first i thought it only happened turning left but it does it at right turns or straight.you give it gas starts to go then nothing for two to three seconds.turning left with traffic comming at you is a lifetime.dealer said cant do anything if no check engine light makes me feel like an accident waiting to happen.
  • regspecregspec Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 2010 Sante Fe. I didn't have the problem until they reprogramed my car on a recall. I took it back in and they reinstalled the original program and it seemed to solve the problem...for a while. It did it twice in the last six months even with the reprograming. It is a very potentially dangerous situation that I am sure Hyundai is becoming aware but seems not to be addressing. I hope that they find the culprit and offer a remedy before someone gets hurt! I, at first, thought it was only turning left too but found it not to be necessarily so...I, like others, am just at the mercy of documenting...help us out, Hyundai!!!
    About four months ago I brought in my 2010 Santa Fe and as usual they could not find anything wrong. The head mechanic said that he did something with the program (I guess just to try anything). The problem has not occurred since then (started at 20,000 miles, now at 24,000 miles). I too brought it in for a recall--maybe at that time they did to my vehicle what they did to yours--and maybe the mechanic then also eventually put the old program back--who knows? It seems everybody is without a clue as to why this happened or happens. Thanks for your feedback.
  • jdmollanjdmollan Member Posts: 1
    Several times in the past few months my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 2wd has shown a great surge, usually after starting. the only way I could control this was my slamming non the breaks. It has happened in drive and reverse.
  • bev2001bev2001 Member Posts: 3
    A similar incident has happened to me. I own a 2011 Santa Fe V6 2WD and on the 27th January I was coasting into a convenience store applying light breaking pressure coming to a stop. There was sudden uncalled surge in engine revs and the Santa Fe leaped forward and it took maximum brake pressure to limit the forward momentum. Massive braking pressure and shifting from drive to neutral let the car back off the block back to level. Incidentally, one of those concrete was placed in the parking space, to protect the store-front, the Santa Fe climbed the concrete block. Apart from my heart rate leap stressing me, there was substantial damage to the front bumper and power steering.

Took the car to the dealership they said there were no fault diagnostics. I lost all power steering assist and there was no indication of power steering fluid loss. The service manager said " . . there is nothing that would cause this > ." implying it was my fault. There is no way that I could apply brake and accelerator pressure concurrently.

Since December 2011 we have been experiencing jumps when the starting the car, gear shift in park and brake pressure applied.
    THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE THAT HYUNDAI NEEDS TO ADDRESS BEFORE SOMEONE DIES.
  • goodknightmikegoodknightmike Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 2WD. This "sudden unintended accelerator surge" happened to me twice. The first incident happened on December 20,2011. This was my first time using the car that morning. I turned on the engine and let the motor warm up for about a minute. Then I proceeded down the road of my developement at around 15 to 20 miles an hour until I slowed down for a stop sign after driving about a 100 yards. At that time my foot transferred from the gas pedal to the brake pedal and the motor suddenly raced out of control. I was able to slam with all my weight on the brake pedal and shift the gear into neutral and turn off the motor. My wife drove with me and needless to say, we were scared to death. After composing myself, I turned the engine back on and thank God I did not experience the "sudden accelerastionon", so I drove back to my house and called Hyundai Roadside assitance who had my car towed to the Hyunder dealershipn where I bought the car. The Hyundai service department could not find anything wrong with my car and told me I probably put my foot on the accelerator by mistake. I 'm 100 % sure I didnot put my foot on the accelerator. So, reluctantly, I accepted the car back from the service department and ran the car daily until the exact same incident happened leaving my house in the morning again on February 6, 2012. As of this writing the car has been at that Hyundai dealership for a few days. On February 7,2012 he service manager again told me after all their testing they still could not find anything wrong even after this second incident. . I did call Hyundai Corporate offices and they are now investigating the incidents and said they would be in contact with the Hyundai service department. There is definetely some defect in the accelerator that Hyundai cannot find as of this writing.. Very scary situation for me and possibly all 2011 Hyundai Sante car owners. If you ahve a similar experience please let me know.
  • lleflarlleflar Member Posts: 1
    I too have had an issue with sudden acceleration surges with my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. My engine light finally came on, after taking it to a mechanic several times with the issue, only to have no real reason for the issue to occur. After the check engine light came on (this past Saturday), I took my car to Advanced auto parts to have it checked out. They told me the issue was P0121 which is Throttle Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance. I contacted my mechanic who told me it would cost approx. $250 to have the sensor replaced. I'm willing to pay the $250, with fingers crossed that it works, instead of purchasing a new car. If this replacement does not work, I will never buy or recommend a Hyundai to anyone I know. This is a serious issue that Hyundai needs to address before someone seriously gets hurt. I am appauled that they have not taken the proper actions to address this issue before it really gets out of hand. I will let you all know if the replacement of the sensor works.
  • retuarkretuark Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I am not the only one. I own a 2005 Santa Fe, that was working just fine until last week. I was pulling onto a busy highway, and all of a sudden the vehicle hesitated quite substantially. I thought because it was so busy the car behind me was going to crash right into my back end. Then I was driving along later that day it was constantly accelerating. When I stopped the car, and had the break on, it was reving really high, and I was afraid to take my foot off the break. The check engine light came on, and because I was working I couldn't get it into a garage right away, so thought I would later that afternoon. After I shut down the vehicle, the check engine light did not come back on...but the problem is still happening almost everyday for a smaller amount of time. I am afraid to drive it anywhere right now, and can't go without it for very long. Please let us know if the sensor you got replaced works out for you!
    THANKS!!!
  • jogataujogatau Member Posts: 4
    Interesting post, I tought I was alone having this problem until I found this post just now; Thanks everyone for your comments, this is unbelievable.

I live in Canada and have a SF 2005 - 3.5L AWD which I bought new in 05 which now has 251,000 km on it. I to have had SUA over the years every once in a while and ever since it was new. I noticed that most of the time this happens is when I come to a full stop then start rolling again; slightly depressing the gas pedal; within a fraction of a second; the vehicle blasts off (heads fly backwards) as if I had put the gas pedal to the floor for a second or so; then it quickly resumes back to normal. Will be days sometimes weeks before it does it again and sometime the same day. Its very sporadic with no real patterns as to when it occurs although seams a little more frequent lately. I mostly do highway driving and use the cruise control everyday. I did not have any close call for say although from reading this awesome post, I will keep a close eye on this issue and will order and change the throttle position sensor and inspect the cruise control cable and it's assembly.

Also, if this can help, way back I had noticed that occasionally when I filled up with gas and then drove off, within a couple hundred feet the motor would kind of die and hesitate dramatically before taking off similar to an SUA; after some reading in other post (way back), some had reported similar issues with other car brands and suggested the following, when filling up with gas, tighten the gas cap all the way until you hear several clicks (as to do with proper venting our pressure balance within the gas tank) which I tried and did not really work; my gas cap needs a key to open it therefore, instead I do the opposite, I tight the gas cap and back it off to hear a few clicks and never had this issue ever since I started doing this (Note that I've also tried leaving the cap loose although did not work; perhaps one could also try another cap). This may or may not be associated with the SUA problem, who knows, I do not have severe SUA, although it still happens from time to time for a fraction or a second or so and goes back to normal immediately after (unlike some post I've read in here and which I deeply sympathize with). Perhaps another thing to try which cost nothing and can't hurt re: gas cap (as mentioned herein); seems like pressure or back pressure within the gas tank needs some kind of balance. Give it try who knows, it may reduce the problem. I do like my Santa Fe, found it hard on gas although, don't think I'll buy another one. Hoping this helps somewhat. I'll look deeper in the SUA and report back if I find some kind of possible cure. In the mean time drive this beast carefully. Thanks

Jo
  • stewpopstewpop Member Posts: 1
    Just wondered if the replacement of the sensor worked. My 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. It lost complete throttle control and would only idle. Got to the side of the road & turned it off and unhooked the battery cable. This reset the electronics in the car( clock, radio, etc) and with it the throttle sensors. Was able to restart and it drove perfectly. We had been having hesitation issues for a couple of months and now it drives smoothly. Just don't know how long it will last though.
  • mikepenmikepen Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same issue this afternoon in a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, this issue has been brought up to the dealer by the owner of the vehilce several times and they have been reluctant to solve the problem. I was scared for the lives of the occupants of the vehicle including a 3year old girl. This is a very serious matter and Hyundai needs to get this resolved.
    I will be contacting local media in Edmonton when I get home to bring this matter to light. It's a matter of safety to not only the occupants of the vehicle but other drivers on the road (or pedestrians for that matter).
    The vehicle accelerated to the floor and and would would not slow down, at first I was braking, but it only slowed the vehicle down a little. We went through an intersection (luckily the light was green) at the point I put the vehicle in neutral and braked to the side of the road. This was not a matter of the floor mat pressing on the gas as that was the first thing I checked, the gas pedal was stuck to the floor and there was nothing I could do about it.
  • susieqrnsusieqrn Member Posts: 1
    Bought new 2009 Santa Fe V6 3.3L 24 valve engine in July 2010. Vehicle load with heated leather seats, sunroof, and had remote start installed. Loved, loved the car and had absolutely no problems until 3/29/2012. Had a terrible experience that I never want again. While pulling left into a parking space with my foot on the brake and car in drive, in a split second, the car accelerated to full speed jumping a 6" curb and plowing through landscaping coming to a stop less than 2 feet from the building. I had both feet on the brake pushing as hard as I could. Thank God I stopped because of the people inside. My daughter was in the passenger seat. We had just come from a doctor appointment for her where she had staples removed from the front of her neck. I can't imagine what could have happened if we had hit the building and our airbags had opened. Being fearful of driving the car, I had it towed to the dealer. After checking the car over, the sales manager told me nothing was found wrong with the car. He stated the floor mat could have gotten in the way. The mats came with the car and are locked in place. The work order stated the accelerator was checked for sticking. MY FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE! One mechanic stated "well the accelerator IS close to the brake." Now I have a $27,000 automobile with 8000 miles on it that I refuse to drive. I should also mention that before this happened that several times after turning when I used the accelerator there was a second of hesitation followed by a second of too fast acceleration but evened out right away. I thought nothing of it but now wonder if this was a warning of what was to come.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2012
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I've been there. Replacing the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (at my own expense because the dealer nor Hyundai would take initiative as that might be seen as them acknowledging fault or an issue) fixed our problem after experiencing unintended acceleration three times. But please do not forget to report the problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration / NHTSA. Go online at safercar.org or call the toll free number. See my original post for more info.
    Hi
    I also live in Canada. I reported this to Transport Canada and a Regional Official, an Engineer, followed up and asked some interesting questions. He actually came and visited and examined peddle separation and height checked. We visited place where the incident happened. One point of note there does not seem to be a good deal of diagnosis sensing on Hyundai software drive-by-wire, neither is there braking override of throttle position. Do report this to TC it's a serious safety issue. The web site is https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/Index.aspx
  • conrad84conrad84 Member Posts: 1
    This appears to be another issue not related to sudden unintended acceleration, but I have now experienced several times during road trips when I have activated the passing gear--the acelerator pulls down and stays totally depressed to the floor board and will not release with foot pressure with out a lot of braking and foot banging! My vehicle is a 2008 Santa Fe, 6-cyl. awd. I'm lucky that this has not caused an accident or death--but it is a harrowing experienced to have the vehicle taking over at FULL THROTTLE not in my control!
    Have others experienced this condition? Dealer says nothing appears or recorded to confirm this issue??
  • jmarcelljmarcell Member Posts: 2
    I also experienced Sudden unintended acceleration in my 2008 SanteFe 45K mi. I was in slow traffic creeping along when the engine reved and the car accelerated very quickly. Brakes weren't enough to stop it. I crashed into the car ahead of me. I am terrified. I took it to the Dealer and like everyone else who has posted, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. On another occassion, my husband said he felt the pedal sticking.
  • jmarcelljmarcell Member Posts: 2
    yes this has happened to me too, 2008 Sante Fe 45K miles
  • rbalaszrbalasz Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Santa Fe has done the same thing 2x ! Nothing that could be replicated at the dealer so of course nothing can be done. THANK GOD I was able to throw it into neutral and slam the breaks and stop!

I've also LOST power when stopped at a light and when I went to go had nothing but spitting and choking. Pulled over and let it run itself out and it never happened again. I swear I got a Friday 4:30 vehicle!!!
  • mary121mary121 Member Posts: 2
    On July 31,2012 I was going up a hill going about 3 miles an hour in order to make a right hand turn into a parking space for the laundry room building across from my Mobile home. Had to park there due to trash collection and can not put trash cans away with vehicles in the carport.

Suddenly my Santa Fe took off like a bullet, jumping the cement parking barrier and crashing onto the building. The front of the building, including window and door crashed down on my hood. When I finally stopped I had taken out the building, damaged a washer and dryer. The engine was still running and I had my left foot on the emergency brake and my right foot on the brake.

My vehicle was in the shop for 9 days and I just got it back.

Am I nervous to drive this vehicle? Yes

Hyundai has a moral obligation to compensate anyone who has had this problem.

Next time this happens someone could get injured or killed and I do not want the responsibility of that.
  • mary121mary121 Member Posts: 2
    To those who have unattended acceleration.

Please call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 to speak to a representative who will take your complaint.

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe had unattended acceleration on July 31, 2012. I called and reported it to the customer service gentleman at NTHSA. He took my complaint.

The only way to get this dangerous problem resolved is to contact NHTSA. They will post it.

I have also sent to Hyundai Motors America my accident information and am waiting for a reply,.

Thanks, Mary
  • kcttenniskcttennis Member Posts: 3
    I am still visibly upset about the unintended acceleration of my new 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe. I was also pulling into a parking spot making a right turn when all of a sudden the car accelerated full trottle and I ran over two bushes and knocked down a black iron fence and stopped by pushing very hard on the brake when I was on pedestrian side walk. Luckily I did not hit a pedestrian. It was so scary I went to the dealer and the delaer stated that the computer did not find anything wrong with the car. I am scared to drive the car. It may happen again. I did call the NTHSA to report this and I plan to go to another dealer to see if they can help find out why this happened.
  • acdc76acdc76 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 2007 Santa Fe towed to the local dealer for the exact same problem. Lucky for me I was on the freeway when all of a sudden the throttle went to the floor and the car began to accelerate. when I couldn't get it to cease accelerating I place the transmission in neutral and allowed it to coast while I kicked at the throttle peddle without success. Once I came to a complete stop (on a small shoulder next a very busy off ramp) I was able to pry my foot under the peddle and bring it back.

While I had it running in neutral I floored the accelerator and it did it again 2 more times. Once I worked up enough courage, I limped it home and called the dealer. The service writer informed me that Hyundai states that this is impossible to occur. I plan on having a more in depth discussion with them in the morning after they look at it.

I am not familiar with the electronic acceleration system on this car, but it sure appeared as if something like the cruise control was forcing the peddle down. Perhaps someone with more technical expertise can explain it.

After reading other's experiences I have a pretty good feeling how things will go down at the dealer. I will post the outcome.

P.S. Here is a curious note for the techs out there. I noticed that the engine got up to over 6,500 RPM when it was self accelerating. However when I was attempting to duplicate it, it would only get up to 5,500 RPM. Maybe I just wasn't willing to let it go there.
  • santafescaredsantafescared Member Posts: 1
    I too live in Canada, in Peterborough Ontario. Last Friday night, October 19, 2012 I was traveling a County road to go and pick up my dog from the breeders. My 23 year old daughter was with me. The unintended acceleration happened when I made a right signal change to veer to the right on a ramp and then when I accelerated to get back up to driving speed I could feel the foot petal leave my foot, accelerating quickly. It felt like cruise was on. I pushed the cruise on and off. Nope it wasn't the cruise. I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck, I tried to tap the pedal with my foot and I couldn't even reach it. It had been pulled so far forward I couldn't even reach it. My daughter looked over and she could see the pedal at the far front of car and no floor mat was pushing it nor was my foot. It was just accelerating by it self!???
    At 160 kmh I dropped into neutral and braked to the shoulder. While sitting on the shoulder we could smell plastic burning and the cab was beginning to fill with smoke, the gauge was showing 7000 rpm, the sound of the engine was deafening, when the rpm's reached 8000 I decided that the vehicle was going to blow up and I moved the shift into park and it was like I had turned a switch, rpm's started falling, speed on Odometer was falling, smoke in cab was lessening and in approx 15 seconds everything was back to normal and the foot pedal had returned to where I could reach it!!
    I called the dealership and had it towed. This morning they called and said nothing showed up on their computer but the mechanic thought that it was probably the floor mats because I had 2 and they were up on the gas pedal! I reiterated my story once again to him and he told me he couldn't do anything because nothing showed up on their computer. He gave me the name of Hyundai Head Office which I will be calling and I will be calling Transport Canada. After hearing all the horror stories on this forum, I'm afraid to drive it!
    I think we should form a class action law suit so Hyundai takes us seriously. IF you are interested, I can be reached at uskeats@cogeco.ca
    My name is Gwen
    Hi Again

I just wanted to give you all an update. I have not driven my Santa Fe since 9/24/12. I have gotten an attorney and the legal dept is talking with my attorney. I had to take pictures and fill out a long form for Hyundai and send it back with a letter from my attorney. Then I called the dealership and they had to complete all these forms on my car. The dealer told me that once legal gets involved they can't say anything.
    kcttennis
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    If people are still having a problem with this (fortunately I have not experienced this with my 2012 SF), and the NHTA is not responding - might I suggest someone start a petition?

Especially in light of the recent $1+ billion Toyota settlement, perhaps that can be used as leverage against Hyundai.
  • blueyes554blueyes554 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - can anyone please let me know where the facebook site (Don't buy Hyundai) is and where the Hyundai Santa Fe video is. I desperately need your help.
  • stannardsstannards Member Posts: 16
    Hi - we started the FB page - although it doesn't say that much - we sold our car after getting it repaired and were very very upset with Hyundai ignoring the problem. It is now nearly four years since our incident and I have been amazed at just how frequently the problem is occurring. If you send me your FB or email details I can probably give you the link that way. We took video of the car after the problem - is that what you were referring to? If so I can check with my husband for it, but I think he put it on You Tube originally so it may still be there.
  • stannardsstannards Member Posts: 16
    Just wondered if you had any more to report on this?
  • davidk6davidk6 Member Posts: 1
    Our story was on WFAA TV in Dallas Ft. Worth. If you have had this problem, please contact a television station in your city and ask them to help you by exposing your issue with Hyundai.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/More-Hyundai-owners-step-forward-claiming-sudden-- acceleration-problems--193732371.html
  • chaszeechaszee Member Posts: 2
    Just had the entire computer in the car replaced after mine did the same thing. Last year they spent a week and replaced various things because the clutch kept going out, one time stranding my wife and 1-year-old in traffic. It's a 2007; my wife's 2003 crv with twice the mileage is a much more dependable vehicle.
    An update to my original post.

Since the incident we, I and my better half, decided not to use cruise control on the Santa Fe. Since then February 2012 we have not had an occurrence of the "unintended" acceleration. It would be interesting to see if each Santa Fe owner had used or if the vehicle was equipped with cruise control, I suspect this is so.
    There are a few reports of changes to mechanical components that may have stopped the problem or at least eased the owners mind. Now after a year of considering my situation and this forum, I'm of the opinion the problem is certainly not of the mechanical variety. The Santa Fe has a fairly comprehensive set of software "drive-by-wire" that is at the heart of all operational conditioning. This software is unsafe for several reasons;
    1. There is no fail safe braking override of throttle position, which should be mandatory in all software controlled services:
    2. The fault diagnosis is obviously inadequate in all documented cases in this forum the service guys say there is no indication of failure;

I'm of the opinion, as a 20 year veteran designer and programmer of real-time software and ruminating this failure characteristic, the failure modes have been inadequately analyzed and programmed by Hyundai software development teams. Ineffective failure mode design and analysis of operational situations. For example . . does a sudden massive increase in open throttle make sense . . and in conjunction with brake pressure makes even less sense. Yes, most inexperience programmers only consider a discrete event not multiple events when dealing with their failure mode and recovery.

Software is not well understood by the general public and its easy to blame the driver or a mechanical gadget. Also its easy to modify the software on your vehicle and you would never know about it. Ever noticed that pilots get blamed more frequently that seems reasonable in aircraft incidents, as PILOT ERROR. Similar with complex cars, DRIVER ERROR.
  • wisrevwisrev Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just experienced our third incident. About a month ago I had the Santa Fe in for the 30000 mile service. I have all service done at the dealership. After the service I was taking an exit to home. The car was at full temp after 40 miles of interstate driving. As I disengaged the cruise and slowed down the accelerator stayed down at about 35 mph. I put on the brake and stopped and pulled up on the accelerator with my foot.

The next morning my wife took the car on the short commute to work and the accelerator stuck again at 35. She was frightened and the car stayed at high RPM and stayed that way until she turned it off.

I went to the dealership and told them of the incident and they checked it over and we went through the list of items. The floor mats, etc. They make some adjustments electronically and the car was fine. They could not find the cause and though courteous they thought it was just a high idle and or the floor mat. I have been driving for 40 years, I know what happened.

Today, April 14, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. with the outside temp at 40 degrees fahrenheit the most frightening incident to date happened. Again we were on the interstate heading home from Madison with the cruise engaged I accelerated to pass vehicles in the center lane. We had driven around Madison for a time and had been on the interstate for 30 minutes. When I accelerated the Santa Fe kept going faster and the pedal went to the floor. The brake did not help and we kept accelerating. Traffic was heavy and we were increasing speed to almost 85 when I put the car in neuteral and turned off the ignition. I then restarted the vehicle at about 65 and the gas pedal went back to its original possition. We were about 15 minutes from home. I turned off the cruise and the car was operating normally when just as we turned down our street the accelerator stuck at about 20. This time I put on the brake and it returned to normal.

It is not a high idle, it is not the floor mat and my wife and I were scared to death. I do not want my wife to drive the vehicle any more until this problem is fixed. I am afraid that again the dealer will not be able to replicate the problem and we will need to update our will. From your experiences however I am concerned that I will be courteously ignored.
  • santafe2002santafe2002 Member Posts: 2
    Today I experienced a full throttle acceleration incident with my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX. I was driving along at 30 MPH with the gas pedal normally pressed and the car felt like cruise control was turned on (it wasn't). I applied the brakes and the throttle kept climbing, so I pulled over and put it in neutral. The throttle was fully open at this point so I turned the engine off. With repeated starts, the engine immediately went into full throttle while in neutral. The gas pedal wasn't stuck.

I've had it towed to an independent shop so they can identify the problem. Tomorrow I should have answers. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA and there are many full throttle complaints listed there: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Here's a news report on a newer Santa Fe: http://www.wfaa.com/news/consumer/More-Hyundai-owners-step-forward-claiming-sudd- en-acceleration-problems--193732371.html

And here's an Elantra: http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Sudden-Acceleration-teenage-driver-says-ca- r-sped-out-of-control-192386781.html
  • meg88meg88 Member Posts: 1
    I stumbled on this by accident but have to share my experience. I was turning right onto a 2 lane road when my Santa Fe began accelerating and the RPMs were in the red. Braking didn't work, I popped it in neutral and that didn't work either, still accelerating. I turned it off and coasted into a parking lot. I tried re starting a few times and each time the tachometer maxed out so I called a tow truck. My mechanic told me that the crimped end of the cruise control cable had broken allowing the cable to extend fully and open the throttle all the way.
    This was 2008 and I had just left a job after 20 years and was going back to school. In fact, I was on my way to my first day at an externship when this happened. Showed up late the first day in a tow truck, great impression! What I'm saying is I never pursued this as a possible common problem that I should report, I was too busy. Now I wish I had reported it. I figured that I had just gotten one of those random, defective parts.
    I loved my '02 Santa Fe and continued to drive it without the cruise control until I traded it on a new 2012 Santa Fe last year. That was honestly the only problem I ever had with it until the A/C started leaking last year. I must say that the quality of the 2002 was much better than that of my 2012. But I still love it!
  • santafe2002santafe2002 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Yes meg88, that's exactly what happened to my Santa Fe 2002. It's a defective cruise control cable with the end cap falling off the tubing. Cable looks similar to the break cable on a 10 speed bike, but thicker. The mechanic replaced it with a new cruise control cable.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/consumer/More-Hyundai-owners-step-forward-claiming-sudd- en-acceleration-problems--193732371.html

Acceleration parts that break shouldn't cause accidents, especially when you can establish a pattern across model years. Hyundai might want to do a voluntary recall.
  • ljromanoljromano Member Posts: 1
    I loved, loved, loved my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, but this afternoon that all changed. I was on the highway going about 55, pressed the accelerator to pass another car at 60, and the car quickly accelerated to 70, I braked and nothing happened, and speedometer was hitting 80 when I put the car into neutral and pulled to the side of the road. Even in neutral the car was revving at 70,000 rpms. Turned the car off. Took a breath. Turned the car back on and it revved again. Put my foot under the accelerator and was able to nudge it back towards me, which stopped the revving. It was clear to me then that the accelerator had gotten "stuck" - but not under a mat - just stuck. Drove very carefully back to my hotel and will be taking it into the dealership to be looked at. But after reading other posts, I have grave doubts that the dealership can permanently fix the problem. It makes me sad, because I was planning to drive this car for at least 150,000 miles. Not any more. And I will be logging this incident with the National Highway Safety folks.
  • blueyes554blueyes554 Member Posts: 2
    Trying to find a way to email you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Emails may get you personal help but not help others. Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
    Hi I am so sorry this happened to you . It happened to me with my elderly mother in the car. I was able to avoid a collision and went over a curb and it finally stopped. I got a lawyer and Hyundai said everything was fine. It is so frustrating because when this happened the car was brand new and now it has been 11 months since the incident. They sent someone from Hyundai California to check out the car and they said everything is fine. I am wondering if they fixed the TPS or cruise control. The car has not had any problems since the original sudden acceleration. There are too many people having this problem and is NOT due to floor mats!!!
  • monktonvtmonktonvt Member Posts: 1
    Happened in 2007/8 with my 2003 Santa Fe and to my teenage son at a Stop sign. Thank goodness nobody was hurt and our small town garage was just around the corner. First the throttle body was cleaned and it worked well for a few weeks. Then the unasked acceleration happened to me. Another visit with the local mechanic who ordered up a new throttle body and replaced it quickly with no big dealership costs. I think it was about a $150 job. Never happened again.
  • tolly_3_5v6_12tolly_3_5v6_12 Member Posts: 1

Hello, I own Santa Fe 3.5 V6 2012 current with 18000km, my car was trying to accelerate--despite my foot being on the brake. It was also making a loud revving sound, my car does not have cruise control as most of the comments I have seen here. does any one knows the solution for this problem.

• safety5safety5 Member Posts: 1

We have experienced unintended sudden acceleration in our 2009 Sante Fe 3.3 liter 6 cylinder automatic on 3 different occasions in the last 18 months. Each time we were accelerating . Once it occurred when we moved from one speed limit to another ( 50 kms/hr to 60 kms/hr ): once when passing and once when moving from a ramp to highway speed. The floor mats were not near the accelerator and cruise control was not engaged. Hyundai refuses to do anything because their technician has to experience it personally. My wife and daughter refuse to drive or ride in it. Our insurance company has never heard of such a situation in Hyundais .We are exploring our options. Safety5

• floridanative5floridanative5 Member Posts: 1

I have owned my 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe for 3 1/2 years. A few months ago, I was slowing down as I approached a light that was changing to red. My foot was on the brake when the engine began to rev and I was unable to slow it down with the brake. Luckily, no other vehicle was at the intersection and I went through the red light. The engine did slow down on its own in a few seconds, and I was safe. I thought about documenting the incident but failed to do so, then forgot about it.

On Friday, March 28, 2014, I was stopped at intersection with my foot on the when the engine began to rev. I pushed harder on the brake, the engine decelerated, but then immediately revved again, this time the car began moving forward into the path of an oncoming vehicle. I steered right to avoid a collision into my driver's door, but we collided anyway. My Santa Fe traveled about a car length onto the grass, the engine revving ended, and I stopped after plowing down a lightweight fence. I still had my foot on the brake, and I turned off the engine then removed the key.

The other vehicle stopped off road before the next intersection. That driver was taken to the hospital via ambulance, and his vehicle suffered extensive damage. My damage was to the left side from the wheel forward, the bumper was loose, and the hood bowed up. Based on my statement to the Florida Highway Patrol Trooper who investigated the crash, I was not ticketed in the accident/

The insurance adjuster has determined that the other vehicle was a total loss, while mine is going to cost over $7,000 to repair.

I called Hyundai and opened a case with them. I also called the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency and entered a complaint there. I am now contacting an attorney. I intend to make my voice heard. This accident could have resulted in death of one or both drivers. As soon as the repairs needed to get my car on the road again, I intend to go straight to the Hyundai dealership and request an inspection and investigation into the cause. I will not let this rest.