Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• headclinicheadclinic Member Posts: 3
    The condenser could have been damaged when you were driving on the highway and it wasn't until enough refrigerant leaked out did you notice it while sitting in traffic. I've had rocks crack my lights and windshield while driving. It's just the reality of driving on the road were all sorts of debris can get airborn and hit your car as you travel 50+ mph into it.
  • dee2010dee2010 Member Posts: 2
    Well, the large puff off smoke that suddenly come up from the engine while I was sitting in traffic has me wondering. I talked to the insurance adjuster today. He will require proof of impact by the rock so I'll know soon enough.
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    Just had my 5,000 mile service from a dealer in NH, wher we send the summer. I was surprised when told that there was a recall on the throttle. We, like others in this forum were told that only the mat was involved in a recall. But, better late than never and they replaced it and "reprogramed" it for free. It just makes me question the information we get. (ie. speed, honesty, PR, etc.) :confuse:
  • lcjesselcjesse Member Posts: 30
    what's up with the throttle body in the Venza????? I have Ford Freestyle (07) that has sudden "lurching" problems and Ford wanted to replace the throttle body but from the forum on the freestlye, i went with just cleaning the fuel injection system which seemed to have fixed my problem a whole lot cheaper that replacing the throttle body. There have been lots of Freestyle owners with the same problem and they reported having to waits months to get the replacement throttle body. Wonder if the Throttle body is the same in these cars. The Fuel Induction cleaning service fixed my problem so far (almost 6 week w/o any lurching). But now am facing having the have my CVT transmission get 60K service done and am afraid that FOrd will mess that up. Was looking at the Venza as a possible replacement vehicle but can't face more "throttle body" problems
    thanks for any information.
  • pcguyspcguys Member Posts: 24
    It's September 21st, 2010.

I'm considering a lease on a 2010 Venza vs. a Subaru Outback.

All the toyota safety recalls has me very concerned.

Should I cross Toyota off my short list?

Would you buy a Venza today?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • donc9donc9 Member Posts: 2
    There are no Throttle Body problems with the Venza. I think what you are referring to is the Sticking Throttle Peddle problems with some Toyotas. Venzas did not have this problem but to make sure this cannot happen, Toyota is doing a computer update that will cause the engine to go to idle speed whenever the brake is applied no matter what the position of the throttle peddle.

My 2009 Venza has about 19,000 miles and I have had ZERO mechanical problems. I recently completed a 600 mile round trip to St. Louis and got 30.4 mpg! This was with a load of 3 adults, one baby, one golden retriever and luggage and averaging 70 mph. I heartedly recommend the Venza as a replacement for you Freestyle.
  • srk12srk12 Member Posts: 5
    thinking abt buying venza...
    could we assume that a new venza has been corrected for all the issues that came up until now? any preference between 4 cyl and 6 cyl from the performance point of view?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..The are no Throttle Body problems.."

That remains to be seen. It is entirely possible that the DBW throttle control firmware is responsible for the three apparently VALID engine runaway incidents.

"Venzas did not have this problem.."

Says who..? By what authority do you make this statement..?

" doing a computer update.."

Useless, quite possibly USELESS computer update.

Suppose, like I suspect, it actually is the engine/transaxle (DBW, CC) firmware that is flawed...? Embed another firmware routine to "signal" the DBW firmware routine to drive the throttle plate closed.

That's a false sense of security, safety, if I ever heard one.

A true failsafe for an inadvertent WOT condition would/SHOULD be implemented entirely separate from any possible causative factors/components. A simple relay system that opened the fuel injector circuit should the throttle plate not quickly return to idle upon brake application would be satisfactory IMMHO.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited October 2010
    If I were to buy a Venza, or any DBW vehicle with NipponDenso or Denso US as the primary "electrical" component vendor, I would IMMEDIATELY add a failsafe relay that opened the fuel injector circuit if the e-brake, parking brake, were applied with the engine running. Apply the e-brake prior to starting the engine, no effect.

On the other hand I would also likely drop a front halfshaft and apply a constant 12 volts to the rear drive engagement clutch,....a safe, MORE SAFE, RWD Venza. There is an aftermarket device available so the front halfshaft could be manually (dis,) engaged.

But what I would REALLY jump at purchasing would be a F/awd Venza using the I4 but upgraded to/with DFI. Improved FE and HP/torque, 187HP now to 210-225(??). Or the displacement of the I4 could be lowered keeping the 187HP level but with absolutely STELLAR FE.
  • rickster01rickster01 Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a new vehicle and the Venza and Camry are 2 of my considerations. Which engine is in your 2009 Venza? I would assume the 4-cyl with that kind of mileage. I really like the looks and feel of these 2 vehicles over the Hondas but am concerned about safety after reading this forum.
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    Your right in being concerned about safety. We've driven our 2010 I4 FWD Venza for over 10,000 miles. Not one hint of a safety problem.
    No gas pedal issues, yet at the 5,000 mile check up they worked on the pedal and reprogramed the throttle computer. The main issue was communication - We never got a recall notice for the work that was done and the dealership we bought it from said there was no throttle issue with the Venza.
    So how many other brands have had recalls without the Toyota notoriaty? We believe Toyota is in the spot light and things appear worse than they are. Like asking when did you stop beating your wife - same as asking when Toyota stopped building cars with safety issues. We believe they nare still a quality vehicle. :)
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2009 Venza that always had a slight rattle on rough surfaces. It sounded like some loose change under the dash. It usually went away as soon as you got moving to a quicker pace. I took a road trip and spent some time in the car(wife's car). I noticed it on rougher surfaces at high speeds also. It almost sounded like something loose in the strut. I took it in to the dealer and it turned out to be the steering column. They replaced it. I have 58000 mi. on the car. The extended warranty took care of it. I hadn't heard of this before, and wanted to alert anyone about the problem.
  • norton72norton72 Member Posts: 1
    wwest, I assume DBW is Drive by Wire (as in FBW), is there a source for the failsafe component you discuss? Also the aftermarket device for energizing the RWD. I can't say I understand "dropping a front halfshaft" so if you could elaborate or send me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Lastly re: DFI, do you mean Gasoline Direct Injection? If you have the time, I'm ready to learn!
    Thank you.
  • bolla67bolla67 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2013 Venza. When I have the wipers set to intermittent they make a clicking sound when they lay back down. Sometimes the clicking sound happens just before they raise up as well. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find any TSB's or any other discussions about this problem.
  • eberm565eberm565 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out if it was normal? I just bought a new 2013 venza and it is doing the same thing. I swear at first it didn't but now it does