Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety

Comments

• I just think that Toyota has just run into a bit of bad luck. Their products have generally been high on quality. It's tough to maintain a perfect record. (i.e. Audi-acceleration problems, Ford Pinto/Mustang fires, Mitsubishi Montero/ Suzuki Samurai- Rollover).
    I have a 97 4Runner with 140,000 miles and have never had a probloem with it.
    Not sure I agree with the import cars made in Japan vs. made in USA though,I think the Japanese automakers are cutting back to make more profit margin period.
    I had a 1992 Nissan Maxima that was bullit proff. I bought a 2003 Maxima and I have relaced things on that car that I never had to replace on the 92. Both made in Japan???
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,310
    Michelle Krebs has some criticism of Toyota summarizing what many have posted in these forums about "being less than forthcoming," my words.

Toyota Recall, Murky Messaging Spurs Consumer Mistrust
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,931
    i can't know for sure that all the now-dead toyota drivers hit brakes, turned off ignition, shifted to neutral any more than you can know they did NOT do so.

However much evidence seems consistent that some of the dead ex-toyota-drivers did stomp the brake, did try shifting to neutral, did try turning off ignition.

a clue to this is when the drivers (CHP officer was one) are on the phone with 911 operator, saying something close "it won't shift to neutral, it won't turn off, the brakes don't work, oh oh, here comes an intersection, hold on."
    a second later the cop and his family were all dead.
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "i can't know for sure that all the now-dead toyota drivers hit brakes, turned off ignition, shifted to neutral any more than you can know they did NOT do so. "

I think the difference when you clearly don't know that the brakes failed, the engines couldn't be turned, or the transmission couldn't be shifted into neutral, you stated that they did.

when others didn't know if the drivers were at fault, we asked "is it possible that the drivers were at fault?".

can you comprehend the difference now?
  • " I think you're optimistic. Even if customers paid more for value"

berri: I agree with you I have never looked at a new Lexus but I think they are $50,000 and up and they have the same issue as the $20,000 Camry. I think it is greed. You might have better luck getting a quality car from an up and coming company like Hyundia
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    "nobody wants to accept this"

Probably because it's rubbish.

I doubt if Toyota is any different than Honda but I have NEVER been able to detect one quality difference between Japan and US built Hondas.

I suppose Toyota could be different but I doubt it.
  • "WOT also...??"

"Well, I'd love to respond but I don't know what the ^$$^## WOT means.

I'm assuming you mean some sort of engine out of control with drivetrain still engaged..... Yes - we pinned the accelerator to the floor which was terrifying enough (I don't recommend it) and all drivers were able to stop the truck after the brake failure (caused by pumping) and if you simply stopped pumping the brakes, they came back.

In no situation was brake being applied against out of control engine STILL connected to drivetrain - simply turning the ignition killed all problems. I strongly disagree with Jake Fisher on ignition "cut-out" it fixed all problems INSTANTLY!

We're currently trying to find one of the push button ignitions and we're going to try to simulate not knowing pressing and holding the button for three seconds kills the engine.

Yes, the parking brake "chirped" the back wheels but we didn't find this significant because.... It's a pick-up - anybody familiar with pick-ups knows they have ^%$^% for traction unless they're engaged in 4WD.

On the other point, no - 4WD was never engaged in any case.
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Here's more info on Toyota's recall and suspension of sales of the 8 recalled vehicles...

"Toyota halts sales of 8 recalled vehicle models."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall
  • TOYOTA JUST ANNOUNCED COMPLETE SUSPENSION OF SALES ON CERTAIN MODELS!!!!

Wow!!!
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/26/business/main6144294.shtml

Happened to catch CBS news saying that the half to production indicates Toyota doesn't have a handle on the problem and the real cause.

They've had long enough since the earlier crashes if they hadn't been so busy trying to pass it off as consumer misuse of mats in _all_ of the cases and if they had started investigating earlier.
  • dturrdturr Posts: 70
    My local dealer is calling me regarding my recent interest in a RAV4, Should he not be doing this?
    Toyota needs to raise its game.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    This is false. You continue to repeat the same false statements from the LAT as you did in Post #1. Get over it. Toyota showed where the LAT made up much of that article. The proof was printed here at Edmunds as well as many other places.

This AutoBlog column is simply another restatement of the false article that the LAT printed.

Oh really? Cannot wait to see how you try to spin Toyota's latest action.

"Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending U.S. sales of eight recalled vehicle models to fix accelerator pedals that stick, the latest quality problem to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.

As part of the plan, Toyota said it was halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities." There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.

"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Bob Carter, Toyota's group vice president and general manager.

The Japanese automaker says the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

It was unclear how long Toyota would suspend production of the vehicles. In an e-mail to employees, company officials said, "we don't know yet how long this pause will last but we will make every effort to resume production soon." Toyota officials did not immediately return phone messages.

Toyota said the company would stop producing vehicles at plants in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Canada. They said no other North American Toyota facility would be affected by the decision.

The auto company said the sales suspension would not affect Lexus or Scion vehicles. Toyota said the Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, would remain for sale.

Toyota said last week it was recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals with mechanical problems that could cause them to become stuck.

That announcement followed a larger recall months earlier of 4.2 million vehicles because of problems with gas pedals becoming trapped under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was the cause of several crashes, including some fatalities."
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I don't wish bad things like this happening to any auto maker, but sheesh, when it's Toyota, people start talking like 'Baghdad Bob' or The Wizard of Oz--

'there's no problems here; pay no attention to that man behind the curtain'!

This is serious stuff, and one can only imagine if this was happening to a Big Three maker right this very day.

Bill
    Good point! But to me, the difference here is Toyota has always prided itself to be above the other automakers; granted stuff like this happens to Ford, GM, etc., but some, including Consumer Reports, have always handled Toyota as the "gold child" that could do no wrong. Seems like someone grew too much, too fast and put aside what they became known for in the industry ~ quality.

I honestly think their quality has been impacted over the past several years, but it is kind of mindset that people have become accustomed to of "you want the best quality, then buy a Toyota". Unfortunately, people have just continued to buy into that mentality without really seeing what they have been getting in recent years.

Take a look at Hyundai. Many laugh at the name when the hear it, but Hyundai is no laughing matter these days and it what Toyota needs to REALLY be worried about. Change isn't easy and many people are steadfast in their ways and how they look at things. The same is true with the auto industry.

It appears a new day has dawn...
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    being exhibited finally at Toyota and within the business world in general.

The sleazebag PR-types at Toyota who have been trying to downplay this issue, seem to have gotten told to stop running their mouths, from someone at the top (the board) of Toyota. It'll be interesting to see who's demoted or let go within the executive ranks of Toyota.
  • The suspension in sales does NOT have any Lexus products involved... Wasn't the cop in SAN in a Lexus?

This whole topic just gets weirder and more bizarre.

The actions taken by Toyota pretty much cancel out any further speculation on my part. This his historic and unprecedented and they have either admitted to serious defects or, given in to a faction of people that in reality..... need driving lessons and shouldn't be anywhere near a motor vehicle.

Pick your poison.....
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Please be serious. The statement today speaks for itself.

The subject of your OP was the LAT article which is largely fabricated in it's statements. My comments remain unchanged and accurate.

The voluntary recall last week and the suspension of sales today are actually exactly the opposite of your original contention.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    They've had long enough since the earlier crashes if they hadn't been so busy trying to pass it off as consumer misuse of mats in _all_ of the cases and if they had started investigating earlier.

Speculation again -- I hope you're happy with the latest turn of events. But you realize the engineers were probably hard at work behind the scenes while the PR department said something else. In any case, it's commendable Toyota is stopping production of the cars with the gas pedal "stiction" problem (as opposed to the floor mat issue) until a definitive fix can be found.

As for me, I'm keeping my older Camrys. They're not affected by either recall and have done fine by me. It will be a long time before I buy another car again, unless the unexpected happens. At that time, I'll survey the automotive landscape and make a decision.
    >Speculation again -- I hope you're happy with the latest turn of events.

That implies that you know that it is NOT true, otherwise it's only another opinion on your part just as mine is presented as my opinion, which I'm allowed to do. :mad:

>I hope you're happy

Of course I'm not happy. :cry: People have been injured and died. :sick: I'm said all along there was more to the many complaints than just floor mats. :shades:

>But you realize the engineers were probably hard at work behind the scenes

I won't point out that could be speculation or an opinion. ;)

I think it's reprehensible that there have been known problems since 2008 with this at least this one factor being admitted only now. :mad:

During this time how many injuries and deaths occurred possibly due to a sticking throttle potentiometer?

I hope they can find that there's more to it than just the inside potentiometer device problem. I really feel there is something more involved with control computers.

One source on the production stop said that stores would continue to sell cars. Is that correct or did they mean they would sell cars not directed involved in this particular recall with the potentiometer problem.
  • tony108tony108 Posts: 16
    I hope this action by toyota to suspend the affected models (pedal defects) put a slap on the face of the arrogant service advisors who denied claims that some of the vehicles are malfunctioning. Instead... they say that they 'can't duplicate the problem' so they send the same car back to their owners. Shame on the service advisers who did this!
  • I think that we all need to keep something in mind here . Toyota has been such a leader and perfectionist in quality, dependability and reliability for so long, that when any desrepancy arises in any of those categories, everyone likes to shoot rubber bands at them. What about when the Dodge Durango's steering wheel had to fall off the column and roll down the highway before they would recall it ? This is a PRECAUTIONARY method set in good faith, by Toyota. They want to stand behind what they ALWAYS Have ! If they truly thought it was more than an accelarator pedal edge becoming lodged in a floormat, it would have been made public LONG AGO!!!! Have some faith.people.
  • bmw323bmw323 Posts: 3
    Looking for advice on how to handle a RAV4 purchase I made 2 weeks ago. My wife won't drive the car as soon as she heard Toyota has stopped production. Does dealer or Toyota have an obligation to current owners. I'm calling dealer tomorrow and asking for either a full refund (doubtful) or a rental car fully paid until recall actually occurs.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I'm calling dealer tomorrow and asking for either a full refund (doubtful) or a rental car fully paid until recall actually occurs.

NO and NO.

I highly doubt they will do that...imagine finding and paying for 2.3 millions rental cars.
    "The statement today speaks for itself. "

Ah...yes, I have to agree with you. Never did I think there would come a day when Toyota would have to stop selling their best selling car. I, along with others, thank such publications such as Autoblog.com and the LATs for covering this issue and pushing this story into the main media.

Toyota first denied it, then said there might be a problem, then issued a recall, and now has stopped selling the Camry.

As you said, "The statement today speaks for itself."
  • This is all just a Political Witch Hunt
    I have been reading some posts in a large toyota group forum. A few people there implicate the cruise control in their specific incidents. Another says his Tacoma just accelerated at a stoplight with his foot on the brake rear-ending the car in front of him. He feels it's some in the computer controls that's causing a glitch.

There may be some more to the story here with certain models. Although the accelerator device ( made by CTS they say ) may be at fault.
  • "I think that we all need to keep something in mind here . Toyota has been such a leader and perfectionist in quality, dependability and reliability for so long, that when any discrepancy arises in any of those categories, everyone likes to shoot rubber bands at them."

Good point. I seem to remember a car getting hit from behind and basically blowing up in flames but somehow I guess that's different now.... I can't exactly remember the name..... Something horse related... Yep, small horse or Pony or something...... Different consumers back then, not very astute, organizationally skilled and um..... Litigious?

Probably one of my last posts on this subject, I'm tired of making sure I spell "accelerator" right all the time......
    Just because some people "implicate" or "feel" that they know what the problem is, doesn't make it so.

Earlier you said, "I think it's reprehensible that there have been known problems since 2008 with this at least this one factor being admitted only now"

Ok, suppose you were the chairman and CEO of Imidazol Motors. Every day, you hear of complaints involving your vehicles, from dealers, through NHTSA, or on web forums like these. How do you separate the wheat from the chaff? Seems like a lot of time would have to be expended to find out where the real problems are.
    And don't forget the much more recent flap over some of their SUVs and a certain tiremaker. But now, they're feted as the only "honorable" American auto company because they didn't take bailout money!
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    I wonder how long it will be before Toyota restarts production on the Camry and on all the other vehicles that they stopped production on?
This discussion has been closed.