Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety

Comments

• silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    We just purchased a 2010 Toyota 1 month ago. The vehicle is one of the recalled vehicles.
    Now my wife is afraid to drive it.
    Being that the vehicle is so new, do we have any recourse to try to get our money back from the dealer or Toyota?

Same here. My wife and I purchased a 2010 Camry SE on Jan 8.

I spoke with the Sales Manager at the Dealership this morning about this car. He said to drive the car and not worry about it. Easy for him to say, but my wife is none too happy.

Don't think any of us will be getting our money back.
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    The Detroit Bureau reports today that Toyota is currently in discussions with other world governments and safety agencies about expanding its latest recall involving defective accelerator pedal mechanisms that may cause unintended acceleration. Eight models are included in the current U.S. recall, which affects some 2.3 million Toyota branded vehicles. Without a fix for the issue, Toyota is required by law to stop production and sales of the vehicles, which it did yesterday – some five days after the recall was announced. Toyota also announced another recall earlier this month affecting 4.2 million vehicles with floor mats that could trap accelerator pedals, also causing unintended acceleration, and while the two issues are said to be unrelated, around 1.7 million vehicles are affected by both recalls.

At the heart of this latest recall are accelerator pedal mechanisms produced by Indiana-based CTS Corp. at its plant in Mississauga, Ontario. What's not immediately known is whether the pedal mechanisms produced by CTS Corp. have been used in any models sold outside North America, or whether the problem with these parts is in their manufacturing or an issue with their design, choice of materials, etc. If it's the latter, the defective pedal mechanisms could be produced in other Toyota supplier plants around the world and be used in millions more vehicles than the ones covered by this latest recall in the U.S.

Toyota has not officially commented whether or not its considering expanding the recall to other markets, or other brands like Lexus and Scion. Stay tuned as more news about Toyota and its recall woes continues to surface.
    Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles.

LaHood said, "The reason Toyota decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing was because we asked them to."

A Toyota spokesman, John Hansen, said today the company had taken the step voluntarily.

Strickland wouldn't directly address why Toyota didn't stop selling the vehicles five days earlier when it announced the recall -- as it was legally required to do.

"At this point, you need to talk to Toyota about those decisions," he said. "We'll be continuing to work with Toyota and having conversations."

Strickland said in taking the action "Toyota was complying with the law."

"They consulted with the agency. We informed them of the obligations, and they complied," he said.

Toyota is required by law to stop production and sales of the vehicles
    :lemon:
  • peterman2peterman2 Member Posts: 4
    Three months ago I bought (cash) a 2010 Corolla so I'd have a vehicle (I'm 60 yrs. old) that I could rely on. Out $20K+, now I get in my Corolla and wonder (taking from that old song) "Will this be the day that I die ?"... I didn't purchase a $20K toy so I could worry every day (just the opposite). And I can't help but wonder, what's the resale value gonna be if it doesn't kill me ? I'd like to just get my money back but that's probably not gonna happen. By the way, I've only put 700 miles on the car.
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    "How could you possibly believe that the CHP officer driving the ES350 didn't have enough common sense, driving knowledge/experience, to shift the car into neutral...?"

How could I possibly believe the guy that had that same loaner car come back unscathed after he had the same problem three days prior but yet the cop was the one that was killed?

You're basically stating that because he was a cop - we have an ironclad conclusion the vehicle was truly uncontrollable.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    There's no doubt the problem could be a mechanical problem with the pedal mechanism itself, but remember the pedal is only changing inputs to a control circuit, whether it be an analog or digital interfaced device, as the system is drive-by-wire - no mechanical linkage between the accelerator pedal and fuel/injector system. The pedal is controlling inputs to the ECM.

OK, here's my worry... what if Toyota has buggy firmware code for the drive-by-wire system. This would be more plausible, especially for these random and instantaneous acceleration issues.

Remember when the new gen 2007 Camry was introduced? Check the posts out here on Edmunds.com regarding surging issues. What did Toyota do to fix the problem ... flash the ECU with new code.

With today's engines and transaxles running at extreme efficiencies, the only way to implement this is with full computer control and drive-by-wire, especially when ABS and VSC systems are implemented. You simply can't have the old mechanical linkage anymore, especially with ABS and VSC as we're talking nanosecond or microsecond response times.

I hope it's something mechanical, such as an out of tolerance mechanical piece, e.g. poor machining. This is relatively easy to fix, and implement a change. But, a random glitch in embedded firmware code. Ask any programmer, when you fix a bug in code, another one creeps up on you. This could be a very serious problem.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hey folks,
    If your question isn't specific to the Camry, please check out the general discussion linked at the top of this discussion. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I am surprised with the number of problems the Camry has had lately; first a drop in quality and now all of these recalls and they have stopped selling it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You are helping to make, strengthen, my point.

If the "previous" guy was astute enough to know to shift the car into neutral then you would have to consider the CHP as being brain dead if you assume he didn't do, try, that very same thing.

If the vehicle had PB start/stop I can fully understand, this being a "loaner", that neither person might be of enough knowledge to know how to make use of the PB to STOP the engine. And by-the-by, WHY didn't the "previous" guy simply shut off the ignition..??

An ignition key, not a PB....

I would be leary of shutting off the engine with the key unless I was certain sure that would not also result in a LOCKED stearing wheel. Perhaps that's what the "previous" guy thought also which is why he resorted to "neutral" instead.
    "...what used to be a simple mechaincal linkage..."

SIMPLE..??

NOT..!!

With a "simple" mechanical linkage you also needed:

A.) An idle air bypass system, servomotor, sensors, etc.
    B.) A separate cruise control system, servomotor, sensors, etc.
    C.) A mechanical dashpot assembly to prevent the engine from too quickly falling to idle, often resulting in a stalled engine.
    D.) A throttle cable to the transaxle "modulator".
    E.) The ability to use EFI for VSC/TC dethrottling of the engine
    F.) TPS, Throttle Position Sensor.

And finally:

A cable, with inherent backlash, to push/pull the throttle butterfly plate. Three of these, actually two more, one each to the CC servomotor and transaxle modulator.

Plus, without DBW Toyota would have not been able to use such a simple "fix" ("patch", really) for the engineering design flaw inadvertently incorporated into the U140E/F transaxle derived from the earlier Camry A140E transaxle.

And NOW...

Since all of the involved vehicles already have DBW it will be a simple matter to add a few lines of code so the engine automatically drops to idle when the brakes are used.
  • jofallonjofallon Member Posts: 29
    When something like that happened to me a couple of weeks ago in my 2007 Camry, I was waiting in a line for fast food, foot solidly on the brake, when the engine started racing and accelerating. It jumped forward a foot or so, but by then my foot was firmly on the brake. First I put it in neutral, and the engine went to 7300 RPM, then park - no change. I had to shut it off with the key to regain control. If this had happened on the highway, maybe I might not have been able to think of putting the car in neutral, when I was in the middle of a 65 MPH crowd of cars.

The dealer was not interested in the story.
    I have had my local Porsche dealer's service manager (Bellevue Barrier) tear up and file 13 a service writeup request. IMMHO that was because Porsche wanted no recordings of the design flaw. Said it was designed that way, operating as designed.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why do I get the feeling you're just loving all of this?
    I know, it's easy for me to say this but if it were my car I wouldn't be scared.

If my oddball chance your pedal were to stick, just yank on the emergency brake, stand opn the brake pedal and switch off the ignition.

Since we are about the same age, I'm sure you drove cars in your youth that we had to drive with respect and caution.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >The dealer was not interested in the story.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-se- - lling-recalled-mod/

"On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

One of my employees has a new Camry and I just volunteered to add a switch to the engine/transaxle ECU so that the EFI circuit can be INSTANDLY disabled from the driver's position just by "flipping" the switch.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    Are you suggesting an alien conspiracy or what? I talked to customer service today, they're answering questions as best they can. Nice folks.

"it's easy for me to say this but if it were my car I wouldn't be scared."

I have an '06 Avalon and it's been fine. The gas pedal cannot reach the floor or the mats and I've had NO trouble with surging or UA. My coworker is buying it and she isn't worried. Something like this can happen to any car at any time. Mechanisms fail and the driver has to be prepared. They aren't usually, but they should be.

I had a '67 Chevy that would run away if you dared to push the gas pedal to the floor. The dirty/rusty linkage would bind up and stick and make you shut down the engine and get out to unstick the linkage. Shift to neutral. Turn off the engine. It's easy. Actually, I had this happen in a '70 Chevelle too.

My father taught me to handle unexpected situations. After he left the Virginia State Police to work as a safety officer for a trucking company (at more than double the pay) he taught it to long haul drivers too. There are lots of little tricks and methods known to drivers. Make that real drivers. So many people today think that if they can get into a car and start it they're highly qualified drivers. More like steerers.

John
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    One month with none of these models sold will be a killer to many Toyota customers, dealers, suppliers and employees. Toyota's goal was to be the biggest light vehicle manufacturer in the world. Not the best. They screwed up and it will cost them tens of billions of dollars and leave thousands of customers looking elsewhere.

Your reading skills are deficient methinks. I was responding to the other poster who made speculations ( see above ) about subjects that have nothing to do with you. Lose the number, aye?
    Yep this has been known since the beginning of Dec I believe. It was one of the key bits of the investigation that threw the light directly on the wrong mat being in the wrong vehicle and it not being secured.

The other key issue is that he reported this very vehicle to the Lexus dealer when he returned safely to the store after his 'event'.
    According to the reports I read the prior driver was able to bring the vehicle to a stop at the side of the road by hard braking, not pumping, but as soon as he let off the brake the ES took off again because the pedal was still trapped at WOT...by the RX400 All Weather mat.

If I remember he then said that he was able to get his foot under the pedal and pop it away from the mat.... problem solved. He drove it back to the Lexus store normally where he reported the incident to the receptionist. Smoking gun so to speak. He also didn't think of shifting to Neutral iirc.
    In these threads the whole spectrum of society is voicing it's varied opinions. It's indicative of the widespread feelings from deep antipathy to fear to some questions/concerns to little or no concern based on prior experience. Not much new to see here.

Everyone of these is valid.
  • spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    The Obama Administration forced Toyota's hand to stop sales and production, in order to help GM ( Government Motors) and also give the UAW a chance to promote themselves to the non-union Toyota workforce.

http://detnews.com/article/20100127/AUTO01/1270400/Fallout-grows-in-Toyota-sales- -halt

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles. LaHood said, "The reason Toyota decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing was BECAUSE WE ASKED THEM TO." ( note: Toyota wasn't prepared to do it voluntarily)

Also, just prior to the sales stoppage, the UAW President was slamming Toyota for it's closing of the Fremont California facility

http://detnews.com/article/20100114/OPINION03/1140421

Note from the article how quickly GM stepped in to take advantage of the situation, with its incentives to current Toyota owners. How were they able to come up with such incentives so quickly? ..The UAW will now exploit the situation and sell themselves to all those idle Toyota workers in the coming days/ weeks.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I was hoping someone could give me some information; the news doesn't really explain the problem in depth but what exactly is causing the problem, is it the floor mats or the pedal itself, or a combo of both? I originally thought with the recall at the end of last year that it was a problem with the mats but now it sounds like the pedal is the problem? any clarification would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Toyota Sales Halt Deals Blow to Image, Earnings

The problem with faulty gas pedals in Toyota cars and trucks is rare, experts say, and car owners are unlikely to experience any trouble. Toyota’s reputation is another matter.

Crisis management experts say just how far Toyota’s image tumbles depends on how quickly it can fix the problems and how well it communicates with hundreds of thousands of loyal customers.

They also say that Toyota’s growth has outpaced its management structure. The company, now the world’s largest automaker, didn’t have in place the mechanisms to identify and deal with the problems before they exploded into two giant recalls, factory shutdowns and instructions to dealers to stop selling eight models.

Toyota Motor Corp. rode a reputation for reliability to become the world’s top car maker. For more than 30 years, Toyota won customers and market share from General Motors Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Ford Motor Co. by building high-quality cars such as the midsize Camry and compact Corolla.

Americans, particularly baby boomers, frustrated with Detroit’s poor quality, fell in love with Toyotas because they rarely broke down. Last year, they bought more than 356,000 Camrys, making it the top-selling car in the U.S. The Corolla was second with almost 297,000 sales.

In short, drivers trusted Toyota. Now that trust is in danger.

Toyota said late Tuesday it would halt sales of some of its top-selling models, including Camry and Corolla, to fix gas pedals that could stick and cause unintended acceleration. Last week, Toyota issued a recall affecting 2.3 million vehicles.

Crisis managers say the issues with the pedals likely surfaced early on at lower levels of the organization, but no one wanted to deliver bad news to the boss.

“The story just kind of drags on. That’s just deadly for a reputation,”

said Brenda Wrigley, chair of the public relations department at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. “It just spirals into a big situation that’s probably going to have long-term financial impact for the company.”

In March of 2007, Toyota started getting reports of gas pedals being slow to rise after being depressed for acceleration. Engineers fixed the problem in the Tundra pickup early in 2008.

But troubles persisted in other models, eventually leading to last week’s recall and the plans to suspend sales and shut down of six factories while Toyota tries to fix the problems.

The latest developments follow a recall of 4.2 million-vehicle in late

2009 over concerns that floor mats could bend across gas pedals, causing sudden acceleration.

The problems, Wrigley said, hit Toyota extra hard because it has touted quality for years to gain advantage over competitors.

“Quality was their differentiator and now it’s their Achilles heel,” she said. :lemon:
    That is just it...they had to stop production and 65% of their sales because they just don't know. For now, consumers would be best to hold of on purchasing a Toyota if they were previously considering one; there may be more underlining issues that have yet to surface.

See the previous video.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    are you kidding me? you cant see why halting sale and production of vehicles with a tendency to accelerate out of control on their own, might be a good idea? You think they should just keep pumping these death traps out and selling them? Even though toyota cant (or wont) say what the problem is with any certainty.Seriously ,any one who would go out today and buy a new camry and accelerate to their death tomorow,deserves a darwin award :lemon:
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    "put it in neutral, and the engine went to 7300 RPM, then park - no change. I had to shut it off with the key to regain control. If this had happened on the highway, maybe I might not have been able to think of putting the car in neutral, when I was in the middle of a 65 MPH crowd of cars. "

BINGO!!!

What's happening in your brain? Did you have a lot of stress at work? Are there passengers in the car, is one of them your kid? How's traffic? Is it a relaxed drive or are you on the way to somewhere you would rather not be? I can see one motorist reacting with "What the %$#% is going on!!!", whereas another motorist reacts a lot calmer and simply says "Wow, this is a little odd" and then after being startled notices it's just a floor mat or, something electronic that Toyota really needs to fix.

You should be in control of the vehicle at all times, this INCLUDES abnormalities within the vehicle itself which of course, are a lot more rare but they DO happen and will continue to happen. It started with Model T's and I DOUBT it will magically disappear someday.

The most dangerous thing most Americans will do today is drive their vehicle and we treat it like we're just chewing gum....

Now if we can just get aliens to suck these idiots out of their cars that text while driving, but I guess that's another forum.
    (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.’s image as the highest-quality automaker may have been permanently tarnished after an accelerator-pedal defect halted sales of the models that account for more than half its U.S. deliveries.

Toyota’s “reputation for long-term quality is finished,” Maryann Keller, senior adviser at Casesa Shapiro Group LLC in New York, said today in an interview. “People aren’t going to buy Toyotas, period. It doesn’t matter which model. What’s happened is sufficient to keep people out of the stores.”

Losing that aura would undercut a decades-long campaign to promote its vehicles as safe and reliable, an effort that propelled Toyota to No. 2 in U.S. sales behind General Motors Co. and helped the Japanese company wrest the title of the world’s largest automaker from GM in 2008.

Toyota’s American depositary receipts fell the most in more than a year, and GM added incentives to woo owners of the 2.3 million U.S. autos including the top-selling Camry and Corolla being recalled to fix a flaw blamed for sudden acceleration. Late today, Toyota extended the recall to Europe.

U.S. sales of eight models are being suspended after last week’s recall, and five North American plants are being idled, Toyota said yesterday. That followed a 4.3 million-unit recall in 2009 for a related problem tied to floor mats.

Those moves compounded concern that quality may have slipped after a decade of North American expansion. The company’s 1,460 U.S. Toyota and Lexus dealers and hundreds of North American suppliers are awaiting word that engineers have found a solution for the pedal defect.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'm not convinced Toyota is finished. J&J wasn't finished after Tylenol, Ford wasn't finished after Explorer. It depends more on how Toyota handles it and whether their cars continue to be less reair prone as they age than many competitor's cars. I'd be a bit nervous if I had the push button start, but as long as you have a key in case shifting to N is a problem, you've got a couple of quick remedies should UA occur. When this is resolved and your vehicle has the brake overriding the accelerator software like VW/Audi you'll probably end up with a safer car than most of its competitors. Meanwhile, once the matter is resolved and they are selling cars again, you may get the chance to buy a decent vehicle at a greater than usual bargain price - kind of like buying value stocks during a market decline.
    For me to buy a Toyota Tacoma double cab...

Maybe a GOOD purchase deal...

And I certainly know how to DIY install a switch easily accessible to the driver to disable EFI.

Maybe even a relay actuated by brake light voltage with contacts to open the ECU throttle plate servomotor connection and substitute a voltage to drive the throttle plate closed.

Opportunities abound.
    Indeed, I don't think Toyota is "Finished", but their Quality Image may very well be. I also see the resale of their vehicles continuing to drop. The winners here are Ford and Hyundai.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, nice to see a familiar "face" with a shout-out for Toyota. And you chose the right person to respond to!
    ...about the federal government "forcing" Toyota to stop production.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) can force a recall, but only after concluding a formal defect investigation, which can take months or sometimes years. Even then, a manufacturer can challenge the order in federal court. GM won the latest such challenge, some 25+ years ago, over the prematurely locking rear brakes on the 1980 X-cars. The vast majority of recalls are "voluntary" on the part of the manufacturers, sometimes after investigations or prodding by NHTSA.

I highly doubt NHTSA has the legal power to shut down production lines on a moment's notice. "Ask" the manufacturers to do so? Sure.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    The ONLY good thing about all this is that Toyota will start importing more Japanese built vehicles to the US now that U.S. production has stopped. I am hoping that U.S. production will stop FOR GOOD. We need 100% Japanese built Toyotas, NOT U.S. built ones. Bring back the 100% Japanese built Toyotas back to the U.S. and you will bring quality back. American built Toyotas are poorly built with cheap American materials and by dumb American workers.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    highly doubt NHTSA has the legal power to shut down production lines on a moment's notice. "Ask" the manufacturers to do so? Sure.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles.

Strickland said in taking the action "Toyota was complying with the law."

I guess you could surmise that manufacturing a known defective vehicle is against the law?
    I know what LaHood and Strickland said (and there could be a political motive for doing so). But I still don't think the government can order an immediate shutdown of auto production lines, admitted "defect" or not. Was Ford forced to stop making Pintos after the first few fire deaths occurred?

The burden of proof is on the government, and there is a investigative procedure covering that, with the federal courts having the last word if the manufacturer wants to challenge it.
    Those who want to distort issues for their own purposes tend to cherry pick quotes or data. LaHood is simply late to the game and trying to jump in as the top dog with a "Hey look at me, it's my Department of Transportation that did all this to the mighty Toyota. Ta Da!!! They wouldn't have acted except for us.Ta Da..Ta Da!!"

However as a sidenote, at the end of the freep article here it states..

The Japanese automaker has described its recall of 2.3 million vehicles as a voluntary move.

David Strickland, the new chief of the National Highway Safety Administration, said Toyota had consulted with regulators before making its move Tuesday.

"Toyota's decision was an aggressive one, and one that was the legally and morally correct thing to do," Strickland said.

IOW LaHood's own subordinate is telling him to STFU.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>. . .is it the floor mats or the pedal itself, or a combo of both?

Quite possibly, it is two entirely separate and unrelated problems. One, a human problem involving the misuse of floor mats; the other, a defective accelerator pedal assembly in which the return mechanism fails after 30,000 or so miles.

This might explain why some incidents of unintended acceleration didn't look to be related to floor mats.

Stay tuned, though. For some people speculation about other causes, despite an absence of evidence, is too much fun to let any explanation settle the matter.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hey honda seller - yanking on the E-brake is a questionable idea. A pal of mine enjoys demonstrating on rental cars that a front-drive car can drive arbitrarily forward with the rear wheels locked up, no matter what speed one engages the e-brake. Works in reverse too, so I hear from my pal.

Honda seller, if you ever actually try that at a significant speed - remember that it *locks* into position. Try it some day with no cars or obstacles anywhere nearby. One twitch on the steering wheel with the e-brake locked up and you will be driving backwards about 0.2 seconds later.

But hey, great time for the stability control option. "Who knew" ?

"Toyota - our stability control works in all conditions, keeping your car straight and solid, including the last seconds before it unintendedly accelerates your caveat-emptor [non-permissible content removed] off a cliff."
    The burden of proof is on the government, and there is a investigative procedure covering that, with the federal courts having the last word if the manufacturer wants to challenge it.

It says LaHood ASKED Toyota. Don't see anywhere that he ORDERED Toyota to do anything.

Strickland stated that Toyota is complying with the law.

I'm sure every move Toyota makes is consulted with their attorneys. If it wasn't in their benefit they wouldn't have stopped production and would've gone to federal court to state their case. I think they made a wise decision. Don't you?
    "Toyota's decision was an aggressive one, and one that was the legally and morally correct thing to do," Strickland said.

IOW LaHood's own subordinate is telling him to STFU.

Is that how you interpret that statement? STFU you say? Give it a rest as the best decision you've made is to not post the last couple of days.
  • peterman2peterman2 Member Posts: 4
    Everyone's assuming that it is the gas pedal that's the problem. What if it turns out to be a glitch in the computer system...or something else ?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Finished? No way. I'd buy a Toyota today if they'd sell me one.
    yes, you might even get it for 50% off MSRP...
    The ONLY good thing about all this is that Toyota will start importing more Japanese built vehicles to the US now that U.S. production has stopped. I am hoping that U.S. production will stop FOR GOOD. We need 100% Japanese built Toyotas, NOT U.S. built ones. Bring back the 100% Japanese built Toyotas back to the U.S. and you will bring quality back. American built Toyotas are poorly built with cheap American materials and by dumb American workers.

Oh, so now the problem is yet not again Toyota, but workers making them here in the US? Geeeez! Talk about grasping at straws. This all comes down to growth. Build them where ever you want, the problem is like many companies, once they grow, quality is often impacted.

Give me a break! Talk about more and more silly statements of Toyota looking out for the customer? No way, Toyota was required by law to stop selling the related vehicles. Period!

This just smells to much of a coverup. They deny it, then they are not sure, then they issue a recall, now they are not sure the problem. I would not buy a new Toyota right now even if they gave it to me. Toyota has ruined their so called Quality Image along with Customer Loyalty.
    So, don't buy one!

Why do you keep pouring gasoline on the fire?

Toyota will get through this and the other car manufactures will learn from this!
    Problem is I already own a 2009 Toyota Camry. :lemon:

To make matters worse, noticed Toyota just added another 1.1M cars to floor mat recall (when will this madness stop?????).

Toyota revealed yesterday evening that it's recalling a further 1.1 million cars to fix "pedal entrapment problems" caused by floor mats.

This action is tied to Toyota's largest recall ever last year of 4.26 million cars for the same issue, but is different than the recall of 2.3 million cars for a sticking accelerator announced last week. The new models in question are:

* 2008-2010 Highlander
    * 2009-2010 Corolla
    * 2009-2010 Venza
    * 2009-2010 Matrix
    * 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe
  • millwood0millwood0 Member Posts: 451
    "Problem is I already own a 2009 Toyota Camry. "

you can always get rid of it.
This discussion has been closed.