Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition fuel pump problems

dpj2dpj2 Member Posts: 13
edited December 2013 in Ford
We purchased our 2005 Expedition 4 1/2 years ago and have enjoyed it. It has posed very few problems. About 3 weeks ago, we experienced problems starting the car, and our independent mechanic diagnosed it as a broken fuel pump. However, we cannot locate a replacement pump (Part No. 6L1Z9H307A) anywhere in the country. I called Galpin Ford here in L.A. (the world's largest) which told me that they will not be restocked with this part until February. No other dealers have the part, and can't get it to us for weeks. I have searched online with no luck. We tried a used part, but after it worked well for about a day, it ultimately worked no better than the broken one we pulled out. In the meantime, my family is dead in the water with an inoperable truck!

I understand that my situation is not unique. I hear that several local police departments have Expeditions that are inoperable because of broken fuel umps and no replacements parts. Government vehicles supposedly have priority to receive the parts first.

I cannot believe that a car as ubiquitous as a Ford Expedition cannot keep a supply of common parts among its dealers and suppliers. What is going on here?

There is some speculation that this may be a result of "cash for clunkers": the government has made it public policy that these large block SUVs are disfavored and their destruction will be subsidized, therefore the parts manufacturers will not make replacement parts for cars that are being forced off the market.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of this part quickly?

Comments

• edub152edub152 Member Posts: 7
    I know I might be a little late, but I too am experiencing your frustrations. How in the world is it this hard to find an american made part for my american made vehicle in the U.S.? I had to search for myself and give my dealership the info. Try part number: MIPFS341. Good luck. please keep in touch and we'll help each other out for furture issues ;-)

EJ
  • dpj2dpj2 Member Posts: 13
    You're not too late, because Ford/Motorcraft still has not dislodged the backorder. I am STILL waiting for delivery of this part! Your part number goes along with the part number I originally listed above, and it doesn't really help. No one has this part-- not dealers, wholesalers, online parts sellers, or chain parts stores. I have contacted more than 15 dealers in 12 states based on Ford's internal inventory database showing they had the part. Some had one part on hold for a customer. One I missed by mere hours. One dealer in Fairbanks, Alaska said they were holding it for inventory and refused to sell it to me. When I threatened to report them to Ford, they made up a story to say they had already sold it and didn't have it anymore. I even contacted a friend who is a Ford executive in Detroit and he couldn't do anything for me. This is really just obscene... :mad:
  • bw17bw17 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 expedition and thought my fuel pump was bad.I went threw all the dealers and no luck.I went to a junk yard and found one for $100 and put it in. The problem was not fixed and found out it was the fuel pump sender unit part no 5L8Z9D370A.It is located driverside on frame rail behind rear wheel.
    Thanks. I am aware of this possible problem. My understanding is that that electronic part is subject to cracking and erosion that allows moisture to enter, fry the circuits, and make the pump malfunction. Though I have not personally inspected that piece myself, my mechanic tells me that that part is intact, with no cracking or erosion, so they don't think that is the problem.

I also paid $650 to install a used fuel pump about a month ago. It worked only marginally better than the pump I replaced, but the truck still fails to start on occasion and is hardly reliable. Because the replacement pump is not completely dead, I am lead to believe that it was my pump and not the electronic controller box attached to it. My mechanic tested the used pump, and the test showed that the used pump had a faulty valve that does not always operate properly, which is different than the dead-dead-dead nature of the old fuel pump.

The point of my rant is this: Ford sold many, many units of this vehicle. It should not be so difficult to get ahold of a fuel pump-- a basic part, nothing exotic--for this vehicle. As much as I have enjoyed the truck, I am strongly discouraged from purchasing another Ford in the future if they won't even ensure an adequate supply of basic parts. This is not a Ferrari where you have to order parts from the Old Country. This is supposed to be a user-friendly truck. Turns out it is not.
    dpj2, I'm just trying to understand. You're saying that your mechanic did a visual check on the sending unit and it appeared to be in good working order? Or did you actually have it removed and bench tested? I traded in my '97 Toyota 4Runner with 140k+ miles on and parts weren't this hard to find. I am just BLOWN AWAY at the fact that we have american made cars and cannot get a simple part! What frustrates me is...on top of this expensive repair bill, I am going to have an expensive rental car bill because FORD CANNOT product a simple part that SHOULD be EASILY found. This is my wife and I's 5th Ford and we've never had this much difficulty before. I hate say it but this one incident is enough for me to jump ship. Maybe it is true what Ford stands for (Found On Road Dead). I'll forward my findings and or progress to you as I get them. Thanks for your input.
    As far as I understand, it was just a visual inspection of the control. I don't think a bench test was performed on the control unit. A bench test may be worth a shot, but the labor on that would be expensive since the control unit is so well hidden. Reluctant to pay all that money for something that doesn't yet appear to be an issue.

As of 1/6/10, this in-tank pump was No. 16 of the Top 500 most back-ordered parts in the Ford catalog. It may be higher than that by now.
    That's rediculous! You know it's a shame when you go to the dealership to get things out of your car because you have no idea when you'll get it back. Is your Expedition still down?
    Effectively, yes. Couldn't take it on a ski trip this weekend because the used pump we installed is still not reliable. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. Didn't want to drive it 300 miles to the mountains on the chance that we would be stranded. Had to borrow a relative's (Japanese) SUV.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    you know based on your diagnosis the relay is a lot more suspect to me than the fuel pump. What are the odds you would encounter two bad pumps? You changed pumps, problem is still there.
    The control module was not that hard to take off about 20 mins worth of work.I also dropped the gas tank when i thought the fuel pump was the problem.The gas tank has quick disconnects on the fuel lines a hose clamp on the filler neck and 2 straps holding the tank with 15mm bolts.I siffened the gas out of one of the vent lines.Not much to any of it after you realize what you have.It could be blown fuse,plugged fuel filter,bad control module,or fuel pump.
    Control module----sender unit
    You would have a good point, except that I am informed (through my mechanic) that the original equipment included a faulty design which caused this part to malfunction so frequently, not just in my car but in lots of other '05 Expeditions. My understanding is that the replacement part I am waiting for has corrected the design defect, or so I am told. Finding and installing a used OE pump with a defective design may well result in a similar malfunction.
    Any ideas on the cost of a replacement control module/sender unit (meaning, the part itself)?
  • drequetdrequet Member Posts: 5
    I, too, had a 2005 Expedition I bought brand new. On 12/23/09, I backed out of the garage and it quit running. Would not start - have never had an issue with this one or any other Expedition. Had it towed to dealer - said needs fuel pump for the tune of 960.00. Okay fix it! Dealer called and said it will be end of Feb or March before one can be found. I went through the roof and called Ford. Ford confirmed it is true - production cannot keep up w/demand on this part. So I have a useless truck with 65000. miles on it sitting in the dealership parking lot. I loved that truck and could not find another new one without it being a hybrid or EL so I traded it for a 2010 Limited Ford Explorer - I want my Expedition back - this whole deal is bad!
    The Explorer is nice but doesn't compare to my Expedition. Good Luck!
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Not to beat a dead horse, but did you try the fuel filter? Quick $20 part.
    Replaced the fuel filter, yes. Also, I followed up with my mechanic this week,a dn he confirmed that he DID change out the control module back on 12/12 when he installed the used fuel pump. So the problem is not the electronic control module, it is the pump.

Still no word on the availability of a replacement pump.
    I appreciate hearing from you and knowing that there are other people suffering the same indignities. However, I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed that you caved and purchased a NEW Ford after they did this to all of us. That makes your fuel pump issue the most expensive repair job ever! Instead of $960, you paid $30,000, less the trade in value for your Expedition. This is exactly what Ford wants us to do. It in effect rewards them for tolerating poor quality in their parts design and manufacture.

In any event, I wish you the best and hope you enjoy your new truck.
    I will say this... Ford has gotten 6 vehicles out of us over the years and I can honestly say, after we get rid of my Expedition and my wifes Escape, we WILL NOT be replacing them with another Ford. I have have NEVER in my life been let down more times in such a short period of time as I've been trying to order my fuel pump. The dealers that have them are hoarding them for their customers and the large online companies can't give you correct information between phone order takers and the warehouse. This has been so expensive for all of us that I think we should start a class action suit against Ford since ultimately this is THEIR fault. Any ideas? At this I don't even want to take the risk in getting a used pump because of the fear of not knowing the life of the used part. I DO NOT want to go through this again!
    Ha to add insult to injury I found out the first Ford dealer totally lied to me about it being a fuel pump. It was a sending unit and it was fixed by the Ford dealer that took the truck in trade - a 45.00 part!!! I bought another Ford because I did not want to buy anything from OBAMA Motors or the foreign auto makers. At least Ford didn't take bail out money. I am going to seek legal advice about this whole issue - more so with the first Ford dealer where I originally purchased the truck new than with Ford. The new 2010 Ford Explorer Limited was more than 30,000.00! I have never knowingly been so screwed by an auto dealer in my life than I have on this Expedition deal! The sad thing is I really like that vehicle!
    dpj2, do you still have your Expedition? If so, how long has it been out of commission? I've had to borrow a car from my parents becuse the car rental bill was getting too hi $396. I am planning on sticking this fight out, however, I do believe Ford should be held accountable for this misfortune.
    I must say as of 1/30/10, I got my truck back all fixed. I called the dealership on 1/29/10 for followup and the mahanger said that he would call me back later in the afternoon once he had more info. Approximately 2pm, he called telling me that the pump came in THAT morning with their delivery and stated that all hands were on my Expedition so they could get my truck back to me and out of their hair. He sounded just as shocked at I was because I don't think they were expectging it until 2 wk in Feb. Any updates with yours?
    Thanks for this note. It prompted me to call my mechanic just now, who told me the part was delivered to his shop on either 1/29 or 1/30 and it is ready for installation. I wish the guy had called me when he received it; I would have had it installed over the weekend! I swear, there is no sense of urgency when you have been left waiting for two months!

But thanks for letting me know, otherwise I might never have heard from my mechanic!

I pray this is the end of my parts problems with Ford. My wife has been cursing this car with the unreliable used fuel pump for weeks. I've had no peace...
    It is about 45.00 according to the dealership that fixed mine AFTER I traded it in on a new truck and it was sold within 10 days! It was not the fuel pump and the dealership that took it in told me it was the fuel pump.
  • captain_tobycaptain_toby Member Posts: 1
    OK, I just fixed the fuel pump problem with my 05 Expedition. I replaced the fuse box that contains the built in fuel pump relay. The relay is mentioned as a non servicable part in the owners manual-R303. To replace this relay, you have to replace the fusebox. I can remove the fuse box in 5 minutes. I bought the new fusebox at the Ford Dealer for $175.00 plus tax. There are 12 quick connect plugs and a 10 mm socket to remove the wire going through the firewall. Yes, this wire is removable after you pop the cover off of the connection. A 1/2 inch socket will unbolt the fusebox from the inside wall at the front seat passengers right kick panel. Two sockets are all the tools that you need.
    This Expedition would not crank when cold, 60 degrees, it would crank.
    There are two wires going to the fuel pump near the Left Rear tire. Key on,White is 12 v and black is ground. Make sure that the fuel pump is getting power or not with a test light. This can be checked at the module behind left rear tire, on top of frame. You can see it at the 2:00 position at the rear tire through the fenderwell. The plug is on the front side of the module. I had to lay under the truck to access this wire. A shield mounts the module to the frame. Two small screws hold the module on the shield and two more hold the shield on the frame.
    Coming out of the fusebox is a Dark Green wire with a yellow stripe. This wire sends power out of the fusebox to the inertia switch to the fuel pump. If you have power at #12 fuse but none at the green/yellow wire, the relay is bad. This wire is on the top of the fuse box, towards the firewall and bottom left wire in the plug. Again, to replace this relay on this vehicle, you must change the fusebox.
    Hope this helps.
  • scotttiquescotttique Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully some people are still around on this thread.... I just had a similar thing happen on friday. Car died at 65mph (I won't get into the no shoulder on the highway because of the snow and my young kids in the car.... scary). Anyway, I had it towed to my mechanic who came up with codes
    P1235 P1233 and P0191. I then had it towed to the dealer who says my problem is related to the throttle. My question is, what should I ask them to look for? Is there any possible way it is related to Customer Satisfaction Prgram 07M08 where they have the injector problems with the 05 Expeditions? Mine is an 05 Eddie Bauer.
    Please help!
    scotttique, I have since gotten my Expedition fixed, but I still monitor this tread. For my situation, it was fuel pump. My vehicle was down for a month until the dealership received my part by surprise 2 Fridays ago, but hey who's complaining. I have all the codes and numbers if you need them. Good luck and stay on them. I also contacted Ford home office, and the seems to get things rolling once they got involved. I had my kids in the car when mine broke down too....man was I pissed!
  • shelleloushellelou Member Posts: 1
    Hi drequet...by any chance are you in Las Vegas area? I think I might be stuck with your old EXP...please let me know if you left it at Gaudin Ford.
    I also had my fuel pump replaced the first week of February, bringing my repaid total to over $1200, but it has not cured my Expedition's inability to start. At the end of February, another mechanic said that Ford had issued a service advisory that computer software was causing symptoms sounding just like mine. I spent another $200 to reprogram the engine computer, but no change at all. I am very pissed that I have had my problem misdiagnosed time and again, and no one can determine what is causing it. It cranks but won't start at any particular time. Less often, it turns over then dies within 5 seconds. My truck has been at various mechanics for over six weeks since December 1st or so. I can't even sell it until I get the problem fixed. Very frustrating.
  • truckwontruntruckwontrun Member Posts: 2
    I am currently dealing with a similar issue with my 2005 expedition. The truck died driving down the highway and i couldn't get it started again. Replaced the fuel pump and filter but the truck still will not start and the fuel pump is not running but does work. Checked the fuse and is not blown. it seems that there is no power going to the fuel pump for it to work. Please, any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated.
  • truckwontruntruckwontrun Member Posts: 2
    i replaced my fuel pump and that wasn't the issue. Turns out it was the fuel pump driver module located in the rear of the truck under the frame. Terrible design by ford to put an aluminum driver module against the steel frame. My module had a hole eaten right through it due to corrosion. The module is basically the brains for the fuel pump and without it functioning properly the truck will not run properly. replacement part was just over 100.00. They are on backorder so be prepared to wait for a couple weeks. I paid a little extra to have my ford dealer locate one in michigan at another dealership and have it shipped in two days and the truck runs great. hope this helps. Hang on to receipt if this is the problem, I was informed ford may be recalling this defect.
    As you can tell from my long series of posts above, I replaced BOTH the pump AND the module. Neither helped me.
    No I did not leave it in Las Vegas! It is in Illinois - I see it all the time and wish I still had it!
  • jblanchard1jblanchard1 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Expedition has had continuous fuel issues. We already replaced the Throttle Body which would cause the engine to shut off randomly, placing my wife in danger trying to move the vehicle to the side of the road so she could re-start it. The NHTSA wanted me to send them my old Throttle Body because they have had several complaints on this. I also replaced my fuel pump twice, my mass air flow sensor, and now have to replace my Fuel Pump Driver Module because it has corroded. This 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition has been a nightmare. I also had to have the transmission replaced at 50,000 miles... My '97 Expedition was great.
  • fnoelfnoel Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, mines recently started to randomly die at any speed or at idle. Ive cleaned MAF sensor with sensor cleaner, changed air filter and fuel filter, oil change, and lucas injector treatment. The problem went away for about a month then came back with vengeance!!. It now stall out 10 minutes on the DOT after starting... after idle or driving. That tells me its not mechanical and must be something electrical getting hot and shorting out or losing contact. Usually its starts back up and I floor it to wherever I have to go with no problems but past two weeks it wouldnt start back up and had it towed twice. First mechanic said its losing fuel pressure before it cuts out, he held it for the night and he couldnt repeat the problem after letting it run for almost 2 hours with the gauges on. Picked it up drove it fine for a week, then died doing 55 this afternoon after smelling what i thought was my amp getting hot but was the FUSE PANEL. I immediately pull over and pull off the fuse panel and smelled something burning and seeing a little grey smoke. I was excited not mad that the problem maybe showed its hand, so I towed it to another shop a few hours go. I am in NO WAY thread jacking, just giving my you guys my 2 cents and also looking for a solution like the thread starter. I have a fuel pump coming from ebay, and im also thinking about the fuel pump driver module which can fry the fuse box (google the problems about the F-150), and of course fuse box. (All of course if the truck stays dead and not come back alive and the mechanic doesnt find the problem). I hope the truck stays dead, makes it easier to find the problem. Thanx guys for any suggestions. 5.4/E.B
    Update!!!: The shop called me and the mechanic said my fuse box is blown which also blew up my fuel pump inertia switch and most like the fuel pump driver module. They said before the fuse box blew it was prob going bad from condensation (they found a puddle of water on the floorboard near the fuse box.), and turning off the fuel pump inertia switch (causing intermittent shut off's at any speed) . When the fuse box would cool down it would re-establish contact and act normal til the fuse box overheats again. They are replacing fuse box, fuel pump inertia switch, and fuel pump driver module for $928. I only paid half, my dealer paid for the other half thanks to the bulldog persistence of my girlfriend. I pick it up monday and will write an update.
    Mechanic changed FUSE BOX and FUEL INERTIA SWITCH, he said the fuel driver module was fine. After I got the truck back everything seems fine, hope this helps!!
  • troupertrouper Member Posts: 1
    Your problem sounds EXACTLY like mine. i Have a 2003 Expedition (EB). Over the last 6-8 months it would just die on me going down the road but it would always recrank and run until 2 says ago. It died (out of town!!!) would intermittently recrank but would not run longer than a minute or two.
    Took to Ford dealership in Guntersville, AL. They told me I needed to replace fuel pump & filter for a total of $985 ($499.99 was the cost of the fuel pump part alone, seems high to me). A $1,000 later and it still won't crank. Then they tell me there is moisture in the fuse panel. That was yesterday at 5:00. Please pray for me this repair will not be another $1,000!!! Will keep you posted. Is there any help from FORD on this issue?

Trouper
  • mimbesimimbesi Member Posts: 3
    I guess its my turn? I've had my 05 Expedition since July, problem free. Coldest morning of year and went to start and it tool a while to turn over. Drove to store. Gone 20mins. Took 5mins to start. After several short trips throughout the day, and all experiencing the starting problem, I noticed that fuel pump was not engaging after turning key. Meaning, by turning key to the almost start position, all my lights and gauges would turn on, but the gas gauge read empty for about 10-15secs. When it finally read full, I would start her up, first turn, just fine.

Is this the sending unit causing the problem?

Thank you all for posting this thread and for your future communication.
  • justinbajustinba Member Posts: 3
    I live in Minnesota and the mechanic told me the fuel pump was out and then the module was out. He said the module was controlling the fuel pressure from the negative side of the module, very hard to detect. So now two new parts installed and the truck shuts off after 5 min. There are few new codes to check but just curious if anyone else got the problem fixed. Did your trucks run after the fuse box was replaced?

In addition I have had an intermittent no start issues which shows up when no one is around to check it. The mechanic seems to think that the module was causing the fuel pump to not put pressure at the head and therefore not start. I back off the key and try it again and it always started and ran just fine. Just looking to get back on the road as fast a possible. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    My '05 was taken to shop (Ford Dealer) shortly after my post. Found problem with fuel pump and would have back next day. After installed the new fuel pump cause the control panel to go bad and that meant waiting a few more days for it to be FedExed from Detroit. $1300 later, been running fine. Good Luck!
    Stopped at the shop today and even called the dealer. Still 5 min run then stalls out as thought there is no fuel pressure the the rail. There are 3 new codes 1. P1237 secondary circuit, 2 Open electrical and no. 3 was for a pressure sensor. Anyhow I called the dealer and his suggestion was to reset the computer. Sounds like you were able to get moving with just a two stepper solution. I saw the module that was replaced and there was a hole through the aluminium mount right to the circuit board and it smelled like chlorine, presumably from the ice melt solutions. I'll keep this site posted.
  • 95sportster95sportster Member Posts: 4
    01 expedition with 105K miles (gets driven around 5K miles/year) has started becoming unreliable. Starts, runs fine, then will not start again for hours. Mechanic ran diagnostics and found nothing wrong, then changed the fuel filter and charged me $120. It ran fine with no problems for about a tank of gas, and now has died again and will not start...even 2 days later. It will turn over all day long, but will not start. Mechanic said if it was fuel pump it should show a code...any one else have these issues? Thanks, Ronny
    Ronny, I never got a "check engine" light during my dilemma, therefore no code. They started with the pump and then that turned into the control panel. Don't know if the control panel would be effected with an 01. Good luck!
    Ronny: When you say it 'died again,' do you mean it won't start, or or actually died while running or after starting? My '05 had a similar problem a year ago which turned out to be electrical rather than the fuel pump originally doiagnosed. My truck's problem turned out to be something called the Central Junction Box. Mine truck never died once it started, but intermittently it refused to start at all.
    Sorry, I meant that it just won't start again. It runs great WHEN it starts. I went back over the sister-in-laws house today and tried it and it started the first try. It's been sitting in the driveway for about 2.5 hours now and I just tried it again. Started 4 out of 5 tries. Only time it didn't start was when I just turned the key on and immediately tried starting it. If I turn key to on, let the warning bells finish dinging, then hit the ignition, starts right up. Maybe mine is the control junction box too?? What was the fix for that?
    05 Expedition. Got it back last week after 3 weeks, a new fuel pump, a new fuel pump control module, a new fuse box and a new pressure sensor, Strike four. Mechanic used to work at a Ford shop started going back through the wiring and found a cracked wire on the line going to the fuel pump. He replaced the pig tail and all works pretty good. Still does not start every try but it always starts on the second try. Cracked wires an corrosion, gotta love Minnesota!
  • i4geti4get Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 05 Expedition (business vehicle) would not start Monday at 6:30 AM after running perfectly well all day Sunday. This vehicle has about 40k miles on it, no major problems til now. It has a new battery (< 1 year), but I put a high amp charger on anyway to show her it was not the battery. Thought the gas line might be frozen, put in some dry gas, still nothing. Called a tow truck to take it to the dealer, but figured it had something to do with the cold and decided to put a hair dryer on the fuel supply side of the engine. (All the posts on this thread are WINTER months). After 30 - 40 minutes it started up after a crank or 2 and kept running. So I canceled the tow and drove off - less than a quarter mile from my house it died. This morning (next day) it was taken to the dealer. They told my wife it will cost $480 to replace the fuel relay. This sounds reasonable if the problem is the fuel relay, like Capt. Toby (see post #25). I hope this does it - if the relay/fuse box cost Capt. Toby $175, then $480 seems reasonable with labor. I'm just scared to drive this vehicle with my kids in it after reading posts about other 05 Expeditions dying unexpectedly at full speed. I have copied your posts and will bring them to the dealership. We had planned to keep the Expedition another 5 years or more, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks to all of you for posting - this thread has been a great help.
    Just had the fuel pump replaced on my '01 Expedition, after problem solving determined that it was getting power to the pump (indicating that the relay was not the problem). Only 100-200 miles since then, but so far so good!
  • sethtruckersethtrucker Member Posts: 3
    So I've been driving around Los Angeles for 6 months with this starting problem. Sometmes it starts, usually it takes anywhere from 3 to 10 tries. Cranks over no problem then starts right up and strong. Sometimes starts right away. It's been a cold and rainy winter here - for L.A. and I noticed some improvements when it warmed up and got hot. Then it rained again and back to problems. So I took it to the dealer - $1100 to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and relays - he said. I said no thanks, paid the $100 diagnostic and took it to Pep Boys where they checked the relay for me, (said he saw some water in the relay box) and anyway no changes by putting in a new relay (which he said would be about $10). He took it back out and didn't charge me a dime. So then I went to Econo-lube (it's now 6:30pm) and they change the fuel filter for $50 and showed my how really, really dirty it was. (Also changed the oil while I was there) Still, it didn't start up perfectly, but less cranks, 2-3.
    So then I'm nearly empty on gas so I go to the Chevron and buy 6 gals of premium and a Techron fuel injection cleaner (good for up to 14 gals it says) and dump that in. It hesitates on start - but definetly better.
    This morning I drove it to work, started on try 2. I figure maybe the gas tank is really dirty and needs some sloshing around cleaning. I get to work and turn it off and then on 5 times. It starts with slight hesitation on try 1 all five times.
    I think I'm on to something here - so I suggest others give this a try. Change the fuel filter and clean your gas throroughly.
    Also when I bought the car the used car dealership guy told me it took regular. I am hearing all around that is not true so I probably have 5 years of build up.
    I will update this post if this doesn't work - oh and a fuel pump at Pep Boys is worst case $450 he said. The dealer was having to use after market parts so what's the diff? Pep Boys has fixed lots of my cars over the years just fine.
    Oh and my brother pointed out that if it was the fuel pump - starting to go out - after 6 months wouldn't it be gone by now?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Have you tried turning the ignition to ON and letting the fuel pump pressurize the system for 5 or 10 seconds before cranking it? On some cars that helps 'em crank the first time.