Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Azera

rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
According to a Dec 30, 2009 post on the Hyundai Think Tank Azera Owners General Discussion Board by HMA Michael whose profile says he is the product manager of the Sonata, Azera, and Genesis:

"Hyundai will have a facelift freshening for the 2011MY Azera due out in 2nd quarter 2010. There will be more information on this refreshed model during the first couple of months of 2010...."

Happy New Year everyone!

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here is some additional info. Note the last line or two about the Azera.

Hyundai USA CEO John K gave a live chat session last night with HyundaiThinkTank.com members. Here are some of the highlights:

- Confirmed next-gen Genesis platform will have AWD option
    - Hyundai is considering a smaller Genesis sedan to slot beneath the current one
    - Considering a “Genesis” SUV or CUV (not Veracruz)
    - Genesis design language will continue to be both “classic and athletic”
    - Seperate “Genesis” sales channel is still being researched
    - Equus final name for the US still hasn’t been decided
    - They are considering a unique “concierge” type service for potential Equus buyers.
    - Next-gen Azera design has recently been finalized. John says it looks “hot” and will run circles around the new Taurus SHO and Nissan Maxima.
    - Next-gen Azera features Hyundai’s new “fluidic sculpture” design language
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    is there a link or any pictures of the new Azera? or possibly other new Hyundai's that we haven't seen?
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    I believe the "Next-gen Azera design" that the Hyundai USA CEO referred to is not for the 2011 MY. I think that the 2011 MY will just be a refresh and facelift and released second quarter of 2010. The new fully redesigned Azera may indeed be released in 2011 but will be for the 2012 MY. The 2011 MY refreshed Azera will probably look alot like the 2010 Grandeur.

Additional information

I also believe that the above link's assertion that "...most likely Hyundai will discontinue to offer the model in the States until it gets fully redesigned in 2011." is wrong because it conflicts with what the Azera product manager posted in a Hyundai Think Tank blog.
    Page is gone....... dang, that was fast!!
  • alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    Hi rhduke00,
    I own a 2006 Azera..was told very recently that the Azera was to be discontinued
    I live in Canada....is the Azera still going to be available in the U.S. and /or
    Korea or is it disc'd in ALL countries. I wrote to Hyundai to thank them for
    taking $$ from my pocket on trade-in value by discontinuing the Azera in Canada
    ie no 2010 model....the jerks! ??????

Also trying to contact KSPEC in Korea..David..re BUSHINGS..no success by
    e-mail or phone. Do you or your friends know how to get in touch with KSPEC??

Thanks
    Alymac
    tenpin288,
    Apparently Hyundai is bringing in to the US, the Equus, which is built on a streched
    Genesis platform...or is the Genesis built on a shorter Equss platform?
    Anyway the Equus sells on Korea for apprx 80 to 90 thousand dollars.

Why ,I wonder is this companydoing this instead of developing the Gensis with, ie
    direct injection, AWD,more add on accessories to truly compete with the ???

Hyundai seems determined to get into the luxury market. The Azera was marketed
    as an entry level luxury car, stupidly marketed against the BMW and the LEXUS...
    which it aint. Had they, in Canada had the electoluminescent instrument gauges
    etc, turn signals on the exterior mirrors, and the simulated wood and leather steering , I am sure they could have marketed it successfully against the Buick
    and Lincoln..but to repeat it aint a Lexus. It took years for the Lexus to get the cache it has now.
    Now Hyundai is going to flog another luxury car? in North America.
    Why dont they finish one project before starting yet another? ie develop a truly
    great Genesis...but no, here comes another luxury car , and apparently a smaller
    Gensis...what is this company thinking..throw everything against the wall and hope
    something sticks in the luxury area. Okay yes the Sonata is a great success but
    to DISCONTINUE THE AZERA in Canada after only 4 years with lousy marketing,
    poorly presented vehicle in this country....yes it is a GREAT CAR, but still
    not presented properly against it competition..no wonder sales were slow.
    Im not sure Hyundai really knows what its doing!
    alymac,

It has not been discontinued in the US. Azera 2010s are on US dealer lots and you can build one at hyundaiusa.com. However, I see that at hyundaicanada.com, you can't. As I stated in an earlier post the Hyundai USA Azera project manager stated on a Hyundai Think Tank forum that Hyundai USA plans to release a refreshed 2011 Azera. As noted by tenpin288, the Hyundai USA CEO said there are plans for a future totally redesigned Azera. BTW, in Korea the Azera is known as the Grandeur and I have no reason to believe that the Grandeur will be discontinued any time soon.

Your second question isn't for me - right?
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    Love my 2008 Azera Limited here in Washington, DC area and hope it gets remade as a continuing model. Genesis V-8 is impractical for me with all the city driving I do, though I would love one.

I used to own a 2001 XG300 and saw a few in Canada when I used to frequently visit up there with my long-distance partner in Winnipeg. As I've discovered in browsing Hyundai's international sales and dealership sites for the thrill of it, not ALL models we have in US or Canada are offered in all countries. I think it's a matter of what they think they can sell in a particular country.

I have no official information on what they are thinking of in Canada or what the Azera's sales figures are up north, but if they aren't selling enough of them to support a full marketing campaign and dealer incentive it may just not be offered anymore. Even if Genesis is now.

My 2 cents. :(
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Genesis V-8 is impractical for me with all the city driving I do, though I would love one.

We're pleased with our '06 Azera, but if we were looking for a replacement, and didn't live in the snow belt with it's occassional need for FWD, the 3.8 Genesis would look real good. There are numerous low mileage demos out there ( 1000 miles or so ) that are advertised at less than $30K. The 3.8 Genesis has the great Azera V6 with an extra gear in the tranny to boot - and a higher level of luxury.

Just my 2 cents
    Thanks heaps to HMA MIchael and friends for Hyundais decision to discontinue the Azera in Canada. Just removed trade-in $$ from my pocket..the JERKS. I love the car
    but to market it against BMW and Lexus..somebody in Hyundai needs his or her brain checked. The Azera is a great vehicle but a Lexus it aint..yet.
    Hyundai is bringing the EXTENDED platform Genesis in the USA (Equus) and considering
    developing a SMALLER version Genesis as well as the current Genesis.Do these guys have develpment plan or what. Talk about inconsistency. And whats with this preoccupation with the luxurt market that took Honda and Toyota years to develop!
    Does anybody know what has happened to Kspec? David was a great source of
    information on accessories for the Hyundai Azera , and I bought several items from him but for the last month have been unablet to get a
    response to my e-mails or even when I phone their number there is no answer??

Any of you folks know if he as moved the business or dropped off the planet??
    Thank you
    Alymav
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    They're finally getting the puddle lights and lane change assist turn signals. Two features my '05 VW Jetta TDI w/no options had. Now if they would add a nice customizable trip computer like that VW had I might consider trading.
    I would imagine there are several things the new Azera has that the VW doesn't. Seems like no car is THE car, just close seems to be the best we can do.
    Yeah, a few. Biggest are reliability and comfort. If the VW had been reliable I would still have it. The '05.5 Jetta TDI was special. Lots of extras that were standard. Great gas mileage. But poor build and very expensive service. Dealer only for $100 oil changes.
    How do they justify a $100 oil change?
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Prolly needs a special tool shaped like an eccentric corkscrew and made of a platinum alloy that, if not used, voids the warranty... ;)
    Special oil, special filter, special tools, special everything on that car, And very few places will touch them other than dealers.
    They (Hyundai) are the worst I've ever seen. They "reaquire" ridiculous maintenance schedules for items such as replacing tranny fluid, timing chain, etc. All this just to get more bucks and we better dang well sure get it done at a Hyundai dealer, or else!!

Don't think I'll be buying another. I'll go back to my Toyotas. I know they're having some trouble right now, but, feel confident this will get ironed out before I need another car (3-4 yrs).

Drove my wife's 03 Highlander the other day for the first time since Dec when I bought the Hyundai, lordy mercy what a difference. Everything is tighter, rides better, feels smoother even down to the door pulls, it's amazing the difference in "real" quality vs bolt on "luxury" items.
  • mossman11mossman11 Member Posts: 10
    The six-cylinder cars are probably not suited to a quick oil change place, as the engine cover must be removed and the oil filter is in a reusable canister. This is similar to the BMW six. The oil is ordinary 5W-20. As for the tranny, they use a partial-synthetic fluid and recommend changing it at about 40K miles. Good idea, as the fluid starts to wear out after this. It costs $150 at the dealer, well worth it.
    Mossman 11,

I wonder if the engine in the new Azera coming out in the States in 2012 ....the Lambda 2 and the 6 speed transmission would fit my 2006 Azera.??
    What do you think?
    Okat guys ..no Im not nuts but my Azera has bigger sway bars,H&R lowering springs, 2009 shocks, tower bar, polyurethane bushings, custom made "Azera "
    emblems, dash kit in black, sirius radio, back -up camera , parrot blue tooth,
    cross drilled /slotted rotors. Led headlite rings,custom grill..THE CAR
    LOOKS MAGNIFICENT, and drives BEAUTIFULLY...corners flat as a pancake.

I hate buying cars....the old good cop. bad cop routine..oh sezs the saleman I can get you xxxxxx$$$$$ for your car..let me talk to the manager...salesman comes back with....sorry the manger sez we can only give you yyyyy$$$ ( and that aint more than xxx gentlemen)
    screw it ...Id rather fix up my car and keep driving it till it stops altogether!! thank you
    very much..anybody had the above experience..nuts! I wonder who would tell me within the Hyundai organization if the new engine and tranny would fit. The "new"
    Azera coing out in 2012 in the US of A is the same car as the older models except
    for the grill and some cosmetics to the front end.
    cheers alymac
    ;I cannot imagine the cost of buy a brand new engine, tranny, and all other ancillary items necessary to make this happen.

If you hate buying cars that much, I'll gladly be your broker for a nominal fee. All you have to do is write the checks!
    edited March 2010
    alymac,

According to Edmund's Inside Line, the 2011 Azera will have the Lambda 2 and Hyundai's new 6 speed transmission. Here's the link. So it's not just a cosmetic refresh.

Per Inside Line: The 3.8-liter DOHC V6 in the 2011 Azera Limited also gets a horsepower bump, again thanks to the addition of variable valve timing on the intake side. The revised engine delivers an estimated 283 hp at 6,000 rpm and 263 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm — up from 263 and 257, respectively.

Hyundai said it also expects fuel-economy gains with the bigger V6. The previous 3.8-liter V6 returned 17 mpg in city driving and 26 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. The revised version is expected to return 19 mpg in city driving and 27 mpg on the highway.

The 2011 Azera models also get a fuel economy indicator that displays a green light to indicate when driving habits are contributing to good fuel economy.
    I don't know where they get their gas mileage figures, but, my "real life" driving numbers are ~20 city ~24 highway.

Anybody else want to post theirs?
    Mileage on our '06 Azera - per computer - is 21.2 for the over 3 years we have had the car. Winter drops that figure but it rises in summer, the car is garaged and is never warmed up before departing. Driving is 80% small town and suburban, and 20% freeway, all at 5 over the limit. In my experience, stop and go city driving absolutely kills the mileage. Conversely, we have attained 29/30 MPG at a 70 MPH cruise. My wife accelerates aggressively and brakes hard, while I hardly ever accelerate hard and coast a bit before braking - my mileage is about 2MPG better than hers on average.
    Your mileage may vary.
  • brf8845brf8845 Member Posts: 8
    I've gotten as high as 28mpg on the Hgwy but yesterday on a 20 highway mile trip I got 30.1 mpg. I usually get 18mpg in the city.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    OK, guys - this really should be in another (pre-year) forum, but here's the deal: if you're using gasoline that has been - mmm - "enhanced" with 10% ethanol, you're going to get 10% *LESS* gas mileage, that's just a fact. In my '08 I get a consistent 28mpg on the highway, even if I cruise around 76-78 if I'm burning 100% gas, only about 25 or 26mpg when I'm burning corn-enhanced fuel. If I take a 100 mile Interstate only journey, I can easily get 30mpg at 70 when burning the real stuff. YMMV of course, void where prohibited and all that... :shades:
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Ethanol has less "oomph" than gasoline, therefore, lesser mileage/gallon, but the corn-producing states' politicians and the Greens have LOTS of "oomph"...
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    The politicians and the greenies have lots of gas, foul smelling.
    Yeah, a Bush deal that is going to help us be less dependent on "foreign" oil. What most folks don't know, other than ethanol get us LESS gas mileage, is most of our oil is imported from Canada!!!!!!

I love (really hate) how they always use the Asian cartel as the bad guys here. We're saving a stinking butterfly from existance as to not drill in Anwar which is nothing but a 95 million acre waste land....... who the hell are we saving the oil for? A butterfly? They don't need oil...... they use air power....... gawd, it's endless how much crap Washington feeds us and expect us to keep swallowing it down like the kool-aid they sell it as.....

I'll stop my rant now and save you all from how I feel in totality :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    How about we stop ALL of the off-topic ranting, and stick to discussing the 2011 Azera. Mixing politics into these discussions usually ends in tears and teeth gnashing, so it's best to avoid it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    I agree, Kirstie. But some people have some much fun playing everything on Bush!
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Yep,I come to these forums for discussions on cars & issues related to cars. I don't want to read another Left v. Right fight fest.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    My bad, I was talking about gas mileage in general, not politics. I'm not allowed to talk about politics. ;)
  • beegee4beegee4 Member Posts: 4
    When you installed the lowering springs did you have to change tire size? I would be concerned that the front tires might scrape the fender while turning and going over a bump. Can you tell me where you got the tower brace and polyurethane bushings? Did you do the work yourself? If so, what problems did you have? I put new KYB shocks in the back and had to use a torch to get the old ones off. How has your mods effected the overall ride quality? Any insight would be helpful.
    beegee4
    Hi,
    I used H&R lowering springs which I bought from a distributor in Richmond, B.C.
    (Canada). I did not have any suspension problems re fender scrape etc. I also
    used shocks from the 2009 Azera. The ride is stiffer but I like it it..and it corners much better. On a rough road it ist not as forgiving but on good roads it rides
    beautifully.Tower bar came from Kspec.com though I have a hard time lately
    getting thru to David Lee. I aslo bought the polyurethane bushings from his ffirm
    amd larger sway bars with similiar bushings. often drive to Chilliwack..approx 7 hour drive with the wife or 5 1/2 to 6 by myself...to see my kids. Car runs and corners very well. looks a heck of a lot better...stance wise.

If Hyundai had made the roof line a bit lower and dumped the econo instrument panel .cheapo....the car would have sold much better in Canada....... no longer sold in Canada

A question to you .do you think a re-designed Azera for 2012 will be made..the 2011 is just a dressed up front end from the 2009
    Mine is a 2006
    Cheers Alymac
    Hey again..no did not change tire size,....alymac
    Where did you find the KYB shocks? Did you install them yourself? How much were the shocks?
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure Kspec is operating and I don't see any Azera parts. I suspect that the most important elements are the lowering springs and the newer shocks. I'll keep an eye on the site and see if I can get a tower bar.
    Do I think that there will be an Azera in 2012? The Azera fills a segment, but doesn't sell well. If you look at the pricing of the Genesis, it looks like they are pricing it with a range that is large enough that the lower end of the pricing is close to the upper end of the Azera. Also the engine and transmission are the same. It wouldn't surprise me to see them drop the Azera if the Genesis sales are brisk enough. Another factor to consider is the development cost. Hyundai has put a lot of money into developing the Genesis and Equus in a tight market. Not sure that Hyundai would put money into developing a new Azera when sales are down and the Genesis can fill the void. Just my opinion.
    Thanks again for the information.
    There is nothing on the internet nor at the KYB website that would lead one to believe that KYBs would fit. I deducted it by looking at several websites. You can order them at any vendor that sells KYB. The shock absorber number is 349060 and it is an exact fit. Yes I did itmyself. My problem was getting the old one off. Not sure if everyone has the same problem, but I had to use a torch to burn the rubber out of the shock and then heat the remaining sleeve red hot to get it off the stud. The rest was easy.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    The KYB P/N 349060 rear shock is for both the Azera and Sonata. Its the same situation if you were looking for Monroe shocks, same shocks on both cars according to Monroe. Monroe even lists the same front strut/shock for both cars.
    Actually the KYB is not listed for the Azera, at least I couldn’t find any listing. It is listed for the Kia Amanti and the Sonata. I sent KYB and email and asked if it would fit the Azera and they replied that they have not received certification from Hyundai to sell the shock for the Azera. No explanation as to why or if they have even requested it. I chose the KYB as opposed to the Monroe based on a general consensus that the KYB is a better shock. I did not find a strut that would fit the front except for the Monroe.
    If you don't live where you get a good dumping of snow every now and then, Genesis over Azera is a no-brainer. Those of us in the snow belt , though, desire the choice of the Azera and the extra traction that FWD provides in the winter. When Hyundai provides an AWD variation of the Genesis, then the Azera can RIP.
    Here's a link to a few spy pics of the front and rear of what is supposedly the next Azera. Enjoy.

2012 Azera front and rear shots
    And some more info on the new Azera/Grandeur HG!

2012 Azera?
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Way to go Tenpin288...awhile back, there was heavy speculation that the Azera would be headed out the door when Hyundai dropped the Genesis and re-designed the Sonata. Now it seems...not so much. I hope THIS time around, they put some attention and effort into the Azera because it has always been a fine car in the Hyundai stable.

My '06 is still going strong with just under 98k miles on it!!! :shades:
    Tenpinn288,

My understanding was that the Azera would not be brought into Canada
    after 2009...according to the dealer . The Azera , I understand , is still available in the United States for the 2010 model....is this correct?
    So with a new design one would think that the Azera would be
    available again in Canada? Would your dealers know....cause the Canadian dealer doesnt????
    My 2006 is a GREAT car!
    Wish I could answer that for you but I can't. If I run across anything that will shed some light on that, I'll post it here.
    Here are a few interior shots you might like...

2012 Interior shots
This discussion has been closed.