Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Brake noise

vikasavikasa Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Bought a new CX-9 GT AWD on 18 Dec. Love it so far.

Noticed one small (?) problem with the brake. Say I am at a complete stop in Drive with brake pedal fully pressed. As I start to release the brake pedal, I hear a audible "groaning" sound from the front of the car. The same sort of symptoms typically found in older cars that need some sort of brake repair job.

Any idea what the issue might be? Is it just some mechanical component that needs to be "broken in"? Anyone with the same experience?

Thanks

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Not normal.
    It seems like some parts of the brake is not properly lubricated.
    Take it to the dealer if you can consistantly reproduce the noise.
    The warranty on brakes is ONLY 1yr/12K miles (not like other parts).
  • jbhatrajbhatra Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem. I bought a new 2010 CX-9 GT AWD on Dec30. Love it so far, except for the noise while releasing the brake pedal. I hear it all the time (not sporadic). I will call the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed with some missing lubrication.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    I have a 2010 Touring CX9 and there seem to be 2 issues with the brakes which I did not notice during test drives prior to purchase:

1) When you press the brake pedal, there is an audible "soft clicking" noise that appears to be coming from the brake pedal itself, or somewhere in the front of the car. I'm not sure if this is a problem because my 2000 Toyota Camry brakes produce the same soundd. The Toyota guys repeatedly told me its not a problem. I had left it at that because its heard only when the surroundings are quiet and it was not a safety issue. Anyone else experiencing the same kind of noise ?

2) I too am able to hear the groaning sound when releasing the brake when the car is stationary.. not normal and will talk to the dealer. Hopefully its a minor issue ..

jbhatra ,vikasa,
    Please let us know how your problem was resolved.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The 1st noise you heard is normal. It is the switch that triggers the brake lights.
    Every vehicle has that sound, just a matter of how noticeable it is.
    thanks Ceric.
  • jbhatrajbhatra Member Posts: 2
    The noise issue seems to be a lot better now than the first couple of days, without really any action on my part. I can only hear it every once in a while (or at least it is not very audible). Earlier it used to be a fairly loud groaning noise every single time I released the brake pedal after a complete stop.

Nevertheless I am taking it to the dealer this afternoon and will report back the findings. Please share your findings as well.

ceric,
    Thanks for your response, appreciate your posts on the forum!
  • inlinerinliner Member Posts: 5
    2) Sometimes I get a similar type of noise after a car wash. It usually disappears after several stops and goes. Doesn't really bother me.
  • vikasavikasa Member Posts: 11
    So strange that you should say that. I found the same thing, the noise went away on its own after a few days and came back after a car wash. Probably something to do with water hitting the underside of the car. Do still plan to get it checked out at the dealer, waiting for the plates to come in so I don't have to go for that again. Will update the forum. Thanks for the responses.
  • stylekat4stylekat4 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my car for a month and noticed a noise that sounds like i am dragging something under the car.I get out and check under the car there is nothing there but it sounds pretty loud then after driving for awhile it goes away.Not sure what it is.
  • nikolay23nikolay23 Member Posts: 11
    My 2 months old CX-9 makes the same brake noise when i release a brake pedal after a complete stop. But it is only heard in the rainy or snow weather. Whenever it is dry on the street, the brakes are 100% quiet.
    Do you think i should take it to the dealer to be checked?

Thanks,
    My wife took it to the dealer today and he was able to reproduce it but said that it was normal, the brake/rotor was doing its thing. She tried to convince him that we have driven many other cars and it was definitely not normal, to no avail. He said he could take care of it outside of the new car warranty but we declined. As long as no mechanical component is being further damaged, I am fine, it doesn't really bother me all that much, it is just surprising to hear such a noise from a brand new car. He advised us to keep an eye (ear?) out for it and let him know if it gets worse.
  • crybaby41crybaby41 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 CX-9 GT with 8K miles on it. A few weeks ago I pulled into my driveway and a weird grinding noise came from what I believe was the brakes. I also started to notice it more when I am backing up slowly and put my foot on the brake. I don't hear it at normal driving speeds. The noise is so loud sometimes that I get looks from people walking by the car. My wife even got nervous and scared to use the car. I took it to the dealer and they called me at the end of the day and said that what ever noise I heard was normal and that they could not find anything wrong. I ended up going back on a Saturday morning and taking it for a drive with a mechanic who said the noise is normal. I don't know. The car did not make this noise for the first year and a half I had it but, "its normal". I wish there was a solution to the noise because frankly I am embarrassed to even drive the car. If anyone has any idea as to how to fix the issue please let me know.
    I don't know the cause but I can tell you what I have observed on my 2010 CX9.

After a car wash, the first few times you hit the brakes, they make a groaning sound, which sometimes sounds like the grinding that you describe. The sound goes away after a few minutes of driving, so from a layman's perspective I guess it could have something to do with water over the brakes ?

Ceric - any thoughts ?
    Vikasa,
    What does the dealer mean when he says its a normal noise but he can "take care of it outside the warranty"

Take care of what if he does not acknowledge there is a problem ?

Sorry, just a bit confused when I re-read your post.

thanks
  • crybaby41crybaby41 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    The dealer is making it seem as though I have lost my mind when I mention the loud groaning, cracking or grinding noise from the brakes. I thought to myself that perhaps it was excess brake dust. I took it to the car wash and paid extra attention to the wheels but, it did not help with the noise. I am very frustrated.
    buyer101 - I took it to mean that the vehicle is performing under the normal range of specifications i.e. there is no mechanical defect that the manufacturer/dealer is required to take care of under the terms of the manufactuer's warranty. But if it bothers me so much, I could pay him extra to take care of it, sort of like installing after-market vanity/dealer-installed accessories.

Or maybe I am giving him too much benefit of the doubt and should push more.

To be honest, I had a 1-month all-you-can-eat car washes deal at a local shop so I used to keep washing the car especially after all the bad weather we had in the Northeast and I guess I was noticing the noise more than I would otherwise have. :-)
  • ssls092102ssls092102 Member Posts: 3
    brakes squeal- not all the time but sometimes right after starting and even later - after been driving for several hours- dealer siad it "was the kind of brakes" ??? And what does that mean- don't notice all other cars stopping at redlights squealing. So do I go to regular mechanic- or insist dealer check out my brakes? Wishing I had not purchased this car----
    I have a 2007 CX9 does anyone know which car seat will fit in middle of second seat??? Really do not want to place baby by door.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    None, at least safely and without obstructing third row access. Middle seat on second row does not have latch anchors, so you would have to use the outer seat's inner anchors to secure the car seat. Doing so will block either side (40% 60%) from sliding/tilting forward to allow third row access. You'll have to place the car seat in one of the outer seats near the doors or sell your CX-9 and buy a Minivan.
    Thanks- now I can quit going crazy looking and measuring car seats- have not had to buy car seat in many years so had no idea that there would be "so much" to getting one to fit. Ok if third row is not accessable but just want best fitt for baby.
  • samhahnsamhahn Member Posts: 8
    I have had such problem with every car I drove after a whlie ever since I moved to more rural area w/ more sand/rocks. Lubricants only helped for a very short period of time. Supposedly due to foreign object lodging itself into very fine groove that was formed when when braking and/or warpage. One car was alot worse so replaced both rear rotor/brake pads and it went away. Another car is doing same so I am planning to replace both rear rotors/brake pads. Of course you can re-surface the rotor instead of buying them new but I bought the parts cheap and hired mechanic to perform the service for me instead. Perhaps it is my luck or rear brake is more prone to develop such problem. Just pay attention to which one is making noise and try re surfacing rotor/replacing pads. Of course it could be some other problem as well. Most dealers are useless in terms of diagnosing and fixing problems especially if your car is still under warranty.
  • mick40mick40 Member Posts: 1
    2010 cx9 gt. At about 17000 miles this august, my vehicle started to squeak when leaveing the house. After about a quarter mile or less it goes away, but is quite annoying for new vehicle. I also had the initial click/clunk issue when first hitting the brake going forward. They installed clip that is part of service bulletin, that is fixed.
    The dealer claims its not a safety issue, but can't tell me what is causeing it. First off, I dont think it is brake related. It only happens when i go forward and aren't accelerating.(ease off gas) to me that would suggest something in the drive train. Since they dont know what is causeing they noise, pretty hard to define as not being saftey issue or not, although im sure it probably isnt for now. But any squeak means something is rubbing and grinding and goes away when heated up enough from the rubbing. That isnt good and means wear and tear on something.
    Anyone else have this squeak when leaveing home or work after vehicle sits for couple hours?
  • cx9zoom3cx9zoom3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011 CX9 in November 2011. I love the car but I have become frustrated with the brake noise when driving .....when there's any moisture!! My car makes an extremely LOUD THUNK when the brakes engage and they do squeal embarrassingly loud when braking!! I laughed to myself when I seen the lady who told her Mazda dealership the same thing about driving other cars with NO similar problems!! I told them the same thing!! I have been driving for over 30 years and have driven 20+ new cars.....NONE of them having this problem! I laughed because my 1987 Honda Prelude with 128, 000 miles doesn't make this noise. My 1996 Chevy Silverado with 125, 000 miles doesn't make this noise. But it's normal for my brand new Mazda CX9 with 3, 000 miles to make this noise. A $40,000 car which is a dream car as long as it doesn't rain or snow! The problem is that I live in the state of Ohio. I hope more people use this site to force a service bulletin to stop this embarassment. C'mon Mazda.....fix this!!
  • mazdacx911mazdacx911 Member Posts: 2
    thats so right, buy a new car and it sounds like its your old car, or your old car sounds better... My brakes made a noise like it was brake pads wearing, but it was the brake booster went out, lost my brakes.. at 37,000 miles. part cost me about $180.00 dealer was going to charge 748.00 to replace it..
    This shouldnt happen to this new car..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

U.S. probes Mazda CX-9 for brake problem (Detroit Free Press)

"The agency says people have complained about increased brake pedal effort and reduced brake effectiveness. Some have heard a hissing noise when they step on the brakes."

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

There's a TSB from Mazda on "brake groan" --

Bulletin No.: 04-004/11

Last Issued: 04/21/2011

Subject: REAR BRAKE GROAN