Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto Shows 2011

lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
The Philadelphia Auto Show is early this year. It opens on Saturday, January 30th. Anybody interested in attending?
Tagged:

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    If I was just 3000 miles closer :shades:

I probably will go to the Vancouver show in late March/early April
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Philly is a good show, as I've gone several times. I particularly enjoy the antique cars on display there. If I go, it will probably be in the middle of the week, when crowds are down.

Bob
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Detroit? Next week? Lots of announcements forthcoming at NAIAS this year, from what I remember.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this year's Detroit show is a real snore. Heck, there were only 2 press days (there used to be 3) for new model announcements, so that should tell you something.

Only a few of the new models (of the very few introduced) introduced were exciting.

Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, it was "exciting" that GM and Chrysler were there. :blush:
  • realno6realno6 Member Posts: 5
    I am a auto-fan from China interested in auto shows.I think the culture of auto in American is amazing to me,while I cannot understand the expertise of auto,or the idiom of your speaking of cars,could somebody tell me the way i can get my knowlege enough for reading your article or comments.Thanks a lot.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I am so freaking pumped, the NY Autoshow starts next week and I already got my tickets!! can't freakin wait because I missed the show last year due to surgery and it will be nice to get back!!!
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Saturday was spent at the convention center in Boston for the annual show. It was OK but I was disappointed to see a no show for Mitsu, Land Rover, Jag, Porsche and most of all, BMW!

You can't glance out the car window without spotting a BMW here in MA so not seeing a display was surprising. :confuse:

Otherwise, looking over the entrants some thoughts and impressions:

Clearly the most crowded out of all the displays was Ford. Their display was hopping with people. I managed to get a very impressive overview on the Lincoln MKX and MKS which seriously won me over with the technological innovations regarding the SYNC and the new electronic display and ipod like interfaces. The smooth scrolling for the volume and fan speed was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. No knobs or buttons, just swipe your finger across the strip to raise or lower volume/speed. Same goes for the buttons, nothing mechanical just the touch of your finger. Then again, 10 thousand voice commands, you may never touch anything ever.

But not all was rosy as SYNC was unable to connect to my iphone after multiple attempts, the nav screen had smudge marks all over it and the selection for phone/radio/ipod was distracting.

The Toyota display was busy but being a little more spread out I didn't really get the sense of crowding over the entrants. The Venza, new Highlander and Prius got the most attention IMO. My favorite was the red dresses the girls wore, damn... :shades:

The Honda display was busy, but smaller. The CR-Z was completely blocked out from all the people and the CR-V and Accords were getting a good amount of attention. What was really surprising was the amount of attention the Crosstours were getting. I don't know if it was just curiousity to cement the dislike for the looks or genuine interest but there were people looking.

The Subie display was moderately busy (new STi WRX), as were the Nissan (Juke, Quest), Hyundai (Genesis, Equus, Elantra), VW.

On the luxury end, the displays were plenty packed as expected although for once it was nice to be able to check out the Benz's without having to feel like you've entered a mosh pit to do so... Sadly, each of the luxury brands only had a single model on the floor, give or take 1 or 2 such as what Volvo Acura and Lexus had out there. I'd say the Audi display was the most crowded with their absolutely stunning R8 V10 and S5/S4 models. Mini had the most models on the floor of the luruy makes, the new 4 wheel drive Cooper garnering the most attention.

In the end, decent show but a slight letdown for the 12 dollar entry fee, especially when I've been attending these things for 15 years. Oh well, there's always New York and Chi-town...
    Oh ya, and Kia had a test drive program there. Got to drive a new Optima (2.4, no turbo). Gotta say I walked away seriously impressed. The features, the style, the seats, the interior layout and volume were very impressive. The drivetrain was decent and competent, but I still think the Accord and Toyota drivetrains are smoother. The shift logic of the particular model I drove was jumpy and not really refined but then again I may be overly critical since I prefer manual trannies.

Still an A for effort on that one. Kia continues to impress.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have to imagine they were checking out the Crosstour in disbelief that Honda would make such a thing. It's everything I dislike about the current Accord on steroids. Ugh.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Kia continues to impress.

Is there any question there? Yee-aaa-hhh!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

It's only about a day's drive from me now and my wife wants to see the Prius wagon that supposedly will be introduced there. Maybe if I wear my Edmunds ballcap, I'll get extra swag.
    steve, the Edmund's ballcap is sure to get you in places you wouldn't have or other fancy perks, for sure! :P

I even have one logo golf shirt I haven't been painting in that I can wear too. :)
    now you're thinkin'!

edited January 2011
    I updated the date of the title instead of just starting a new discussion. And I'm still planning on going to the big show in Detroit. Anyone else?

2011 Detroit Auto Show (Inside Line)

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The Philadelphia International Auto Show starts at the Pennsylvania Convention Center on Saturday, January 29 and goes through Sunday, February 6, 2011.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Go to chicagoautoshow.com

Bonus for going to show (during day) is to drive beautiful Lake Shore Drive. Drive entire length if possible and take in great views, skylines, lakeshore.
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I'm supposed to be in Chicago on the 11th for like an 8 hour layover. I don't know if I can handle two auto shows in a month's time.

Especially since I've never been to a "real" one before. Detroit will probably overload me.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Show sounds good. Weather should be klear for drive :shades: around Lake Michigan.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I went to Detroit show in '07, I think... You get through it a lot more quickly than you think...

Not that I'd be up for double duty, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Heh, I'm supposed to be in Chicago on the 11th for like an 8 hour layover. I don't know if I can handle two auto shows in a month's time

If you're on time you can do it, but its probably a little tighter than you'd guess. The CTA Blue Line comes in under the parking garage behind the Hilton and will take you to the Loop (under Dearborn Ave). The best way to get to it is in the Terminal 2 (Delta & US Scare) baggage lower level. It is easily walkable from term 1 (United) to the north or term 3 (American) to the south if you stay in the secured connecting walkways. The International terminal requires the people mover. The CTA takes about an hour downtown. A cab will cost a fortune and won't save you much time because the Kennedy is often jammed up. You'll have to check the CTA website for the auto show shuttle buses to McCormick Place (allow 20-30 min each way). Of course make sure you give yourself another hour or so to get back through security. I saw too much of that place before I retired!
    edited January 2011
    Domestic flight, but I think it'll be easier on the psyche just to try to get to downtown for a late lunch and a walk around (in mid-Feb.? hmmm). I'm an antsy plane traveler anyway.

Thanks Kyfdx, good to know. It looks huge in the pics.
    What kind of lunch?

Al's Beef near UI-C campus has a lot of local flavor... and, great italian beef sandwiches... dripping in beef juice.... lol.. about two miles from downtown..

Portillos on the west side of downtown.... All sorts of Chicago specialties... dogs, italian beef, etc... Not a dive, like Al's... but, good...

Of course, you can get Chicago pizza... which is a little overrated, in my book..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2011
    Of course, you can get Chicago pizza... which is a little overrated, in my book..

That was my experience too, but just from one place on the one trip that I actually spent any time in the city. I'm willing to give 'em another chance. :D
    Deep dish is okay.. but, stay away from the stuffed crust at Giordano's, especially if the wait is long... If it's busy, they take your order before your table is ready... supposedly, that has it coming out at the right time.... but, I got the feeling mine had been sitting in a warmer for 30-40 minutes....

This is the food discussion, right? lol..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Will be skipping Detriot this year (would be there on the press days) but may make the Chi-town show for the press days. Will be "working" anyway but it'll still be cool.

Oh, and steve & kyfdx, in terms of the food, it depends on where you go and if you're actually in the city. Chicago pizza is not deep-dish and there really isn't such a thing as "Chicago" or "Chicago style Pizza". And note the Giordano locations near and in downtown are really considered for yuppies and suburbanites. If you want the real deal go to the one in Hyde Park. This also goes with Portillos; you're best chance to get the real deal on polishes, hot dogs, italian beef and the like are at certain spots in the city, not downtown and certainly not at Portillos. And don't forget about Garrett's Popcorn.

But honestly, with an 8 hour layover getting to the station, then down town & checking the sites, back to the airport & through security all in February :confuse: :sick:
    lol, is there wifi at O'Hare and any place decent to eat there?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    If there is Wi-Fi it probably costs a fortune at O'Hare. Never actually checked it out. Chicago is a nice town but its taxed and fee'd through the roof. I don't know who you're flying on. American has a decent fast food court in its main gate area with a lot of variety. United has it to a bit lesser extent in its C concourse. However, the best quick eat for the money is probably a hotdog cart vendor. There are some nicer places, as well as branches of a few Chicago restaurants. Most of them are either in the United or American areas. I'd go to the ORD website and check it out. You can walk between most of the gate areas without leaving security, but its a bit of a trek between United and American. By the way, how in the hell did you get an 8 hour layover on a domestic ticket anyway? Even the commuter lines tend to fly to all of their destinations at least once every 3 or 4 hours out of ORD.
    edited January 2011
    I'll have to ask my travel agent (my wife, lol).

We're on a free ticket so options are a bit limited. Once we get to O'Hare we could take an earlier flight, but we'd have to make an extra stop and we'd get home even later. :sick:

We live in the UP now; not exactly on the way to anywhere. The Detroit show in a couple of weeks is only a ten hour drive or so. Piece of cake. :)
    Can't wait for the NY Auto Show this year! April 22, 2011-May 1, 2011!
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Some random thoughts:

*Acura is really pushing the sound system in their vehicles.
    *The Mazda2 is pretty nice, though kinda big for a subcompact.
    *Turns out I can fit comfortably in a NC Miata, but one part of the dashboard hits me just below my right kneecap. :cry:
    *The Kia Optima is really nice for the price, and has some weird dogleg in the front windshield outline.
    *No Fiat 500 or Scion iQ. :mad:
    * The shifter in the WRX is a lot smoother than the notchy 6-speed in the STi.
    edited January 2011
    *The Mazda2 is pretty nice, though kinda big for a subcompact.

I have yet to see one in person but I am interested in the little buzz-bomb and will look around for one on the road. It does look small in its pictures, though, surprised you say it looks big for a subcompact.

2011 Mazda 2

• jackson30jackson30 Member Posts: 4
    It's a nice show.It was amazing.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Where's your show? The SF show had a couple of 500s on display, and that's a fairly lame show as auto shows go.....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Virginia Beach. The only "upcoming" vehicle in the Chrysler section was the 200, though there was plenty of floor space for some Fiats. Maybe they were shipped off to Detroit?
    ...begins on Saturday, January 29th. Anybody planning on going? I've been to every one since 1989.
    I am thinking about it pending family issues. Only a 60 ride for me.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Heading to Chicago in February, will my first time there and then NYC in the springtime will be #8. The best part about NYC is Mr. Biggs B&G for lunch, although a good friend of mine thinks they may have moved locations and are farther from the Javitz Center now :(
    I hope to be at Cobo in the morning. If you see some guy with an Edmunds ball cap on, walking around in a bit of a daze, that'll be me.
    I've eaten there before to! There food is great. I hope they haven't moved further away from the Javitz though :cry:
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Myself, my 2 daughters (now 4 & 7) will be there on Saturday 29th. A couple friends will be coming alone this year also. We are leaving the Hershey / Harrisburg area around 7am-ish and stopping at Nifty-Fifty's for breakfast. I know there is a call for a nice size snow storm Tuesday through Thursday just before the show opens, so maybe that will keep a few people away on opening weekend. :P

Odie
    To me, this is like the World Series, Superbowl, Stanley Cup, NBA Championship, World Cup, etc. all rolled into one! :):D :shades:
    Are you and andre hitting the Philly show this weekend?
    Usually andre, grbeck, and I hit the Philly show. Last year's terrible weather kept them away and I went with my wife instead. I was surprised that she stayed with me for the whole time and seemed to be into it. Usually, she gave me the old "tired and bored" routine.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Lemko, would you be able to do the Philly show on the second Saturday? I think grbeck has another obligation the first weekend. Hopefully the weather holds out this time!
    ..I'm going Thursday night!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

To Geneva that is. :shades:

Since it's for the Euro market, there's a lot of stuff there that we'll never see stateside.

"The Fiat brand will show the 7-seater Freemont, its version of the Dodge Journey. It initially comes in front-drive only with four-wheel drive added later; a turbodiesel engine is offered. It goes on sale in Europe in June against the Ford S-Max and Ford Galaxy."

Middle East, Oil Prices Top of Mind at Geneva Show (AutoObserver)
    edited April 2011
    I spent several hours at the International Auto Show in Detroit this year and never saw anything like this.

Note that the driver is yakking on his Bluetooth. :P (link)
This discussion has been closed.