Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited November 2012
    Wow, that car looks like a tiger ready to pounce! However, the car has two too many doors!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Critics like to knock the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid for everything from stingy battery-powered range to its cramped cabin and high sticker price. But it has the most loving owners of any regular production car in the U.S., according to a new survey.

The rating stems from what Consumer Reports officially calls its owner-satisfaction survey, which asks its subscribers a single question: Would you get the same vehicle if you had to do it all over again? Researchers said 92% of Volt owners said they would."

Most-Loved Car? Chevrolet Volt Tops Owner Survey (WSJ)
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Doh! You are, of course, correct. Fireball.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited December 2012
    Came across the Chevy Tahoe LTZ and started thinking about trim lines.

Do you think they really named that one after Maximum Bob?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    ...to get a $50 Macy's gift card. While FWD mid-size family sedans are far from my cup of tea, it had a very nice interior, felt solid, and drove quite well. I would say that potential buyers in that segment should give it a hard look.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited December 2012
    "U.S. sales of the Volt for 2012 will top 23,000 for the year, said Michelle Malcho, a spokeswoman for GM. The Detroit automaker will report final December sales on Thursday."

GM: Volt sales tripled in 2012 (Detroit News)
    edited January 2013
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2013

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Some posters have noted the new Vette interior. That was planned. :)

"The emphasis on the car's interior - the magnesium seat frames, the leather stitching, and the suede steering wheel - are all attempts to lure in buyers who might be attracted to the luxury features of, say, a Porsche 911 but unwilling to pay the higher price."

New Corvette to drive General Motors revival (BBC)
    "Reuss said for the next generation Volt, GM can cut down “thousands of dollars” in costs with a better designed battery pack and electric motors."

A good read here from Detroit:
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/01/volt-to-be-thousands-cheaper-says-gm-- boss.html?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

edited January 2013
    E-cars got to be a price competitive segment in a hurry. Leaf prices got whacked recently and this outfit that I'd never heard of before today slashed their electric car price by $13,000, down to $25k.

Be nice to see GM make some money on the ELR.
    I got to test drive both the Cadillac XTS and Cadillac ATS at the Philadelphia Auto Show this past Saturday. I was thinking both would make great His and Hers cars - the XTS for me and the ATS for my wife. However, I was quite impressed with the ATS with the twin-turbo four.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Besides, that small trunk will keep her from buying more stuff - just kidding!
    "GM on Tuesday said Cadillac V-Series Academy classes will be offered throughout the year at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch outside of Las Vegas."

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Is Centerpiece of V-Series Performance Playground

"The Spark's female demographics were part of a larger report from GM on just who is buying the minicar. GM noted that early buyer data for the Spark shows that 29 percent of buyers are under 35. Nearly 54 percent of Spark purchases are "conquest" sales or buyers who are new to the brand. More than one in five buyers is coming from an import car brand, said GM."

2013 Chevrolet Spark
    Holden VF Commodore Provides Advance Look at 2014 Chevrolet SS

And this is a fun read:

Chevy's $2.5 Billion Corvette

"General Motors has produced almost 1.4 million Corvettes over the past 60 years. Most are still around and each Corvette is a small economy unto itself. A Corvette isn't an appliance like a Malibu or a tool like a pickup. It's a car built for people who love cars. Or at least for people who love the Corvette.

And because they love it they'll pamper that Corvette with exotic waxes, fancy embroidered floor mats, a tough-sounding exhaust system and shiny custom wheels. And, when it's finally all worn out, they'll restore it back to new and start the process all over again. It's a never-ending life cycle supported by companies, shops and dealerships that make, modify, restore and recycle virtually every part of these iconic machines."
    My friend has most definitely kept his 1998 Corvette in tip-top shape. I barely see a swirl mark on its blue metallic finish.
    edited February 2013
    It's made in OZ, so I'd certainly consider it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Don't know whether this is good or not but remove the Chevy badge and it looks like a Mazda (smiling face). I'd rather have lemko friend's '98 vette. C5s are a dying breed.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    At a quick glance, it reminds me a bit of a cross between a BMW and a Chevy Cruze. Doesn't really excite me, style-wise. But I'd consider one, not because of how it looks, but because of what it does!
    > funny things to say

"And the entirety of the Chevrolets, Buicks, GMCs and Cadillacs that were launched to huge acclaim in ’09, ’10, ’11 and ’12 were conceived, designed, engineered and sent on their three-to-four year journey to introduction by the “old”, pre-bankruptcy GM team. You know, the incompetent, slow, clueless, unimaginative bunch led by Rick Wagoner, Fritz Henderson and myself. WE did every one of those winning products for which some 90-day wonders would now like to be retroactively credited."

Sounds like Bob Lutz had some good input. I judge him as a rational fellow who understood the car business.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Of course, that bunch was also at the wheel for some bad times. But I digress...

I just liked this line: "But to suggest that he is the architect of GM’s current success is a bit like crediting the rooster with making the sun come up."

We need more execs with personality.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    We need more execs with personality.

No, we need execs who understand the business of making automobiles for profit.

Do you ever hear of a personality laden BMW executive?
    Do you ever hear of a personality laden BMW executive?

Back in 1998 I had a very enjoyable dinner with Vic Doolan and Karl-Heinz Kalbfell. It was anything but boring.

Well, you know what I mean, assuming both types of execs are of relatively equal skill.

Comparing BMW with GM is kind of tough, completely different reasons for existing and different structures.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Well, you know what I mean, assuming both types of execs are of relatively equal skill.

Comparing BMW with GM is kind of tough, completely different reasons for existing and different structures.

Yes and no. Both are in the business of selling vehicles for profit. Target demographic are different, but execs for both companies should know both their product and their market.

I agree that, all things being equal, personality trumps blandness. But i would rather have bland and competent rather than full of bluster and clueless.
    edited March 2013
    First I've seen the convertible in pictures.

Apples and oranges as corporations go, though. Freude am Fahren vs Jack of all trades, master of none (or few). The former will easily be able to create nice profit margins. Add in the completely different labor and national corporate environments, I can't see how they can be compared other than that they both make cars.

Sadly, with what must be the vast majority of execs on this continent over the past few decades being ineffective grossly overpaid cloned sheep with identical MBAs, we get neither personality nor ability.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    edited March 2013
    It's made in OZ, so I'd certainly consider it.

That's the only reason I wouldn't consider it. Not a fan of front-fender vents either, but I do like the proportions of the car.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I've since read that the SS won't be available with a manual, so no sale...

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Nice pics. The grille itself has a slight throwback to the C1; overall the frontal area reminds me of, I want to say Caddy Cien?, maybe wrong. Though I'm not a fan of the taillights / treatment, should be a good seller.
    "Of course, there's no confusing the new car with the old in the metal, and once you actually drive it, you'll have to admit the 2014 Chevrolet Impala finally has what it takes to compete for real customers.

The best part is the 8-inch MyLink touchscreen interface for audio, navigation and phone functions. It's easy to use if you've ever picked up a smartphone or tablet and it's a radical advance for the Impala, which never before had a factory nav system."

Chevy Finally Builds a Large Sedan for the 21st Century
    Weird thing - the steering wheel in the new Impala:

Is very reminiscent of the one in the W221 (2007+) S-class:

Have to admit, the new car looks light years ahead of the old one, actually nice.
    edited March 2013
    Funny, the Benz dash looks more like an American product to me than the Impala's! I think it's probably the woodgrain. The Impalas I saw at the Cleveland Auto Show had a glossy black dash decoration, which I like. But then, I like the tortoise shell door-grabs inside my brother-in-law's '05 Chrysler 300-C!

The interior of the Impala didn't seem all that big to me, at first try. GM used to be the absolute king of packaging vis-a-vis interior space versus exterior size--starting with the '77 big cars. But that's been lost.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    To be fair, the MB went into production at the end of 2005, so the pictured car is a little dated now, too. MB does have a history of using a high gloss laminated wood that doesn't always look real.

The old Impala isn't really the biggest thing inside either - and I remember my rental had some weird headroom issue upon exit with the A-pillar. The new one has to be unbelievably better - it sure looks it.
    The interior of the Impala didn't seem all that big to me, at first try. GM used to be the absolute king of packaging vis-a-vis interior space versus exterior size--starting with the '77 big cars. But that's been lost.

I'll have to revisit the Impala, maybe when they start hitting the showrooms. It was definitely lacking in shoulder room, compared to something like a '77 Impala. My guess is that it's probably more on par with a '78 Malibu for shoulder room, but more generous in legroom and headroom.

I think the high window sills, small windows in general, thick roof pillars, center console, might contribute to making the car feel smaller inside than it really is. Sometimes a smaller car can feel bigger inside, if the passenger cabin is open and airy. And color can make a huge difference, too.
    I'd have to say that the Impala wheel follows the curve of the dash more than the MB does. Especially with the matching chrome strips.
    I noticed the spoke design and the weird overbite of the hub - I haven't noticed that on many other cars.
    What did you think of the two-tier dash / IP? Kind of reminds me of times when people put dash mats on their IP to protect from sun damage (or hide it).

Have to admit not fan of the twin-pod instrument cluster on this, or any other current vehicle; they are pretty overdone and look rather bulky because of the overly large plastic surrounds.

At first exterior glance it reminded me of the current Accord with a quarter-panel line of the Buick. I'm wondering how well it's going to age / stay fresh.

Not knocks on GM / Chevrolet / Impala, it should serve that market well, just my impressions. :)
    I like the front-end styling of the Impala--seems more upscale to me than other cars, but I'm a traditionalist. I think it doesn't have the 'alien' or 'insectoid' look of long headlights almost reaching the windshield pillars that some of the Asian cars do. Lemko first used those terms here and I was like "Yes! That's exactly what I think too, but couldn't express in the right way!".
    Speaking of room in the Impala...I know this isn't the end-all of space utilization, but the '14 Impala is on a 111.7 inch wheelbase...actually less than a '12 Malibu which was 112.3. I'm only 5'8", but I think our Malibu ('11) has terrific rear-seat legroom...I remember one mag calling it 'limo like'. You do sit low in the car which I'm not crazy about though.
    You, Lemko and I share the same sentiment on the headlights - I can't stand those things :mad: !! I first noticed the elongated lights on the Nissans (370Z and the spears on the Maxima) or maybe the last-gen Celica, then seems like everyone else just went bigger and longer. I don't like the bug-eyes on the Spark either,such a small car with such BIG EYES, akin to Red Riding Hood saying the same about "Grandma Wolf".

I just still wish for a RWD Impala, just an old diehard I guess. But anytime I get saddened I can just hop in the '65, take a spin and the world becomes right again. :shades:
    Count me in, on those feelings toward the bug-eyed/insectoid/alien looking headlights.

Actually, one of the first cars I can remember having headlights I really didn't like was the 1992 Pontiac Grand Am. Although in retrospect, they look downright tame, almost tasteful.

I didn't really care for the headlights on the Intrepid when it came out for 1998. They just seemed too big, overall, in relation to the car. But, I got used to them I guess, or at least it wasn't enough of a deterrent, as I bought a 2000.

And yeah, a RWD Impala would be cool. Or, even just a civilian Caprice. I know people like the perceived bad weather safety of FWD, but is RWD really that bad these days? We had about 3" of thick, wet snow here today, and some of the road surfaces were pretty bad. I drove my 2012 Ram to work, a truck with RWD, a light rear end, and a lot of power. I couldn't get that thing to spin out or skid, to save my life! :P

At one point, in a safe, desolate area, I tried to punch it going around a corner to see if I could get the rear end to brake loose. Nope. Where's the fun in that?