Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    > It seem so disjointed and poorly

You are right there. It's a little like watching TMZ on television with all the visual jumps and topic jumps.

I just finished reading Mistress by James Patterson (actually Michael Ledwidge). It jumps continually from the story to comments about everything else interspersed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    General Motors Tops Detroit Rivals in October (dailyfinance.com)

"Quick hits by brand

Buick sales increased 31% with retail sales up 25% -- the 18th consecutive month of year-over-year growth.

GMC was up 16% led by the Terrain, which posted its best October sales ever, and the Sierra which was up 13.3%.

Chevrolet was up 15% and had 13 nameplates post double-digit-sales increases, including every single SUV and crossover, as well as its most profitable Silverado pickup.

Cadillac sales have grown in each of the last 13 months and were up 10% in October. Sales success was driven by the ATS and all-new XTS models."
    edited November 2013
    New truck unveiling. Only available in crew cab and

Diesel coming in 2016 model: 2.8 Duramax.

Look here for more pictures.

I was just reading an article about that over on thestreet.com.

"We found it is a myth that people buy mid-size pickups only because they can't afford full-size. Household income is the same (for buyers of both). But full-size is too big. Its capability is way more than (some buyers) will ever use.

"They are more urban, less rural. They need a smaller truck, something they can park and that can go in and out of traffic. But they do require some functionality. The mid-size guy is more of a commuter, but he gets use out of the truck on the weekend for camping, mountain biking, going to the beach. He has been (buying) mid-size crossovers and cars, but he can't throw things in back like with a truck."

Caldwell said GM is probably making a smart bet on the Colorado. "There are not a lot of automakers in the space right now, and it could be a niche that gets more popular," Caldwell said. "Full-size trucks are bigger now and really expensive, and there's a need for something for people who want something smaller."
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    edited November 2013
    ""We found it is a myth that people buy mid-size pickups only because they can't afford full-size. Household income is the same (for buyers of both). But full-size is too big. Its capability is way more than (some buyers) will ever use. "

If anything, I'd say it was just the opposite. People buy full-size pickups because in many instances, they're not that much bigger, not that much more expensive, and get similar fuel economy to their smaller equivalents. Full-sized trucks have an economy of scale that makes them fairly cheap to build, because they usually have a wide range of configurations, usually share a lot of their structure with SUV models, and with heavier-duty trucks.

The major cost to engineer and build something is in the technology...engines, transmissions, electronics, safety equipment, creature comforts, and so on. It actually costs very little to make something bigger...all you're doing is adding more steel, plastic, glass, etc.

They have all these option packages and such that can really jack up the price of a standard-sized pickup, but the same holds true for a compact/midsize truck.

As for the "urban buyer"? Well, they don't need a truck at all to go mountain biking, camping, to the beach, etc. They need a crossover. Or, in many cases, even a small sedan or hatchback will suffice. I have some neighbors who do that kind of stuff...avid bikers, and they do kayaking as well. They do it with a Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. Before that, they did it with an '89 Volvo 740 wagon, and before that it was an early Toyota 4Runner, the type that was basically a compact truck with a camper shell permanently attached...back when compact trucks WERE compact. And, this is still out in the suburbs. In many of the bigger cities, chances are a compact/midsized truck is still going to be too big and cumbersome.

Now, that's not to say there isn't a market for compact/midsized trucks. But I think it's always going to be a bit of a niche, compared to the standard-sized truck market. I do think that new Colorado is pretty sharp looking, though. Wonder if they could base an SUV off of it, to help spread the development costs around? I think that might actually be where the domestics lost their way with small trucks. The Blazer, Durango, and Explorer used to have a lot in common with the S-10, Dakota, and Ranger. But in the 2000's, the compact/midsized SUVs and trucks parted company, and no doubt that drove up the costs to produce each one.
    Good points.

Other benefits are that the smaller trucks will fit in your garage easier, could have a shorter liftover height and they may get better mpg. Oh, easier street parking for the urbanites (easier driving period - navigating parking lots, etc.).
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited November 2013
    nice. i'm very interested. full-size pickups are absurdly large for my needs. not sure if I can hold out for the diesel!
    GM retail sales up 19%

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/u- s/en/2013/Dec/gmsales.html

Chevrolet sales were up 13 percent and retail deliveries were up 20 percent.
    Sales of Chevrolet cars increased 19 percent, with Malibu up 41 percent, Volt up 26 percent, Impala up 20 percent and Camaro up 14 percent. Retail deliveries of the Cruze were up 39 percent and Impala more than doubled.
    The Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox and Volt had their best November sales ever.
    Sales of the Chevrolet Tahoe were up 23 percent, the Traverse was up 21 percent and the Silverado was up 12 percent.
    GMC sales were up 20 percent, with the Sierra up 22 percent and the Acadia crossover up 108 percent, which keeps it on track for its best year ever.
    Small business sales were up 38 percent, including a 76-percent increase in pickup deliveries. Commercial fleet deliveries increased 18 percent.
    Buick deliveries increased 13 percent and the brand is on track for its best year since 2005. November was Buick’s 19th consecutive month of year-over-year retail sales growth.
    Cadillac sales increased 11 percent and retail sales have grown in each of the past 18 months, driven by the success of the new XTS and ATS.

2015 Z06 Vette possibly in picture. Matches a release by GM which shows a small part behind front wheel.

I wonder how it would do in the 4-6 inches of snow we're getting today?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've seen nicer wheels on a payloader.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    You commented on liking the C7 in Edmunds' fleet, with the black wheels when I said I didn't like them.

Funny, looking at the standard silver-painted-finish wheel on the first C7 I saw in person, this morning, I was actually thinking I might like the black wheels on the dark green car. I detest that screaming-yellow paint on anything though. The best thing I can say about it is nobody will probably run into you, it's so visible.
    I wonder what other colors are available?

I like the shape of the wheels.
    I like wheels that are chromed.
    I like wheels that have tires thicker than a rubber band.

I realize I'm not the trendy buyer driven by testosterone to have the latest and greatest no matter how flawed the tire craze is in the end.
    I realized that when the 3 Cadillacs under camouflage were at the local Speedway many months ago and one of them had black wheels much like those on this Z06.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I realized that when the 3 Cadillacs under camouflage were at the local Speedway many months ago and one of them had black wheels much like those on this Z06.

Hmmm...testing the next CTS-V perhaps??

I see that the ELR's are being shipped by Cadillac.

Buick sales of 1M tops 1984 record set before China entry

GM’s total sales rose in China last 11 percent to 3.16 million while U.S. sales gained 7.3 percent to 2.6 million. The automaker has said it plans to release its total global sales later this month.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140108/AUTO0103/301080069#ixzz2ppC0dEuN

Holy....well, you know.

I'm typically not a Sting Ray fan, but that thing looks like it rolled out of St. Louis yesterday...better, actually. A lot of the big scoops and such had been removed by the time the '67 came around, a good thing IMHO. A guy I met near here who is the original owner of a '67 said he was disappointed when his came in, that the hole to grab through above the glovebox was taken out of the '67's...cost savings hard to pass on apparently!

I liked those five-slot Rally Wheels, but when they began to offer the identical wheel on most every lesser Chevy, even Novas, it watered down the appeal IMHO. Later, they made the Rally Wheels NLA on big Chevys, and the five-slot wheel was used on the Monte Carlo, but Chevelles and Novas used a different style Rally Wheel..a good idea I think.

Oh Lord, now every owner of a '67 Corvette will think their car is worth millions---only to be sorely disappointed to say the least....they only made 20 of this particular car with the L88 option, and if you add all the other options, it's probably the only one they made like this.

when you have rarity + power + good looks, that's what adds up and differentiates this car from the common 67s.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,555

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Oh Lord, now every owner of a '67 Corvette will think their car is worth millions---only to be sorely disappointed to say the least....they only made 20 of this particular car with the L88 option, and if you add all the other options, it's probably the only one they made like this.

when you have rarity + power + good looks, that's what adds up and differentiates this car from the common 67s.

nyc's dad has a '67 Corvette that they are getting ready to freshen up. While I doubt it will pull that kind of money, it should be worth a pretty penny when it's all done.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@MrShift@Edmunds they only made 20 of this particular car with the L88 option, and if you add all the other options, it's probably the only one they made like this.

Other options distinguishing it from the other 19 L88's: It’s equipped with the C48 Heater Defrost Delete, F41 Special Front and Rear Suspension, G81 Positraction Rear Axle, J50 Vacuum Power Brakes, J56 Special Heavy Duty Brakes, K66 Transistor Ignition, L88 427 ci (7 liter) engine good for a (factory rated) 430 horsepower, and the M22 Heavy Duty close-ratio 4 speed transmission. In addition, it also has the RPO A85 shoulder belts as well as another important feature that sets this L88 apart — the special-order rear end ratio of 4.56:1, which is the rear end of choice for drag racing; most other 1967 L88 came with the 4:11 rear end more suitable to road racing. The car was restored by the renowned Nabers Brothers of Houston and is fully documented.

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    nyc's dad has a '67 Corvette that they are getting ready to freshen up. While I doubt it will pull that kind of money, it should be worth a pretty penny when it's all done.

Depends on the engine, matching #s and documentation. Actually most 67s have been steadily dropping in value since 2007 or so and are only recently on an uptick again.

Also heads up on capital gains taxes.

edited January 2014

GM is back at the Super Bowl with an ad. It's a very hearty love tale about a rancher, his Silverado, and a trailer taking a bull he purchased to meet a herd of eligible cows.

Click on photo to initial video:

YouTube location:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMrA-BGuLY#t=11

"In a smart move, Cadillac offers the Vsport sedan in a version that trades some luxury froufrou for lavish mechanicals and bracing performance.

Simply choose the Performance edition. Pay $59,995 out the door, and you’ll get a luxury sport sedan that’s more satisfying to drive than any comparable Audi A6, BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E-Class."

CTS Vsport: The BMW Beater (nytimes.com)

edited February 2014

Different advertising tone: Cadillac ELR
    First ad for a Cadillac electric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

edited February 2014

A plush Volt? Guy sounds like a sure thing heart attack victim. This ad is kind of strange, as it seems to be bragging about an innovation that has already happened in someone else's back yard.

I do get the point though, Innovation is still one of the things the USA does best. But really, this car is old news.

edited February 2014

Sinkhole claims 8 Corvette at Museum.

1962 black Corvette
    1984 PPG pace car
    1992 white 1 millionth Corvette
    1993 ruby red 40th anniversary Corvette
    1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
    2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
    2009 white 1.5 millionth Corvette
    2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil" on loan from General Motors

Emergency personnel allowed museum staff to remove only one car in the Sky Dome, the only surviving 1983 Corvette, he said. It had not fallen in the hole.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/corvette-museum-sinkhole/5417171/

And the engineers who approved this building were where exactly?

Anyway, I'm sure these cars can be fixed up good as new.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

It's a 20 year old building so I'm guessing dead or working on another project.

According to the article, the geology of central Kentucky is know for sinkholes and new cave formation.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited February 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

I hope that they aren't the same engineers who signed off on the Museum's new road course; our BMW Club is conducting a DE there in October...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I've always been fond of the General's 1973 attempts to build European style sport sedans. Car and Driver recently singled out Pontiac's Grand Am as a bargain collector car- I even like the patriotic pinstriping:

Road and Track likes the Hurst/Olds Cutlass of the same vintage:

A LOT of fun for just $18,000!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

If memory serves me, what the domestics did to make a car "euro" was stiffen it up, and this worked (somewhat) on flat level roads and turns--but pushing these cars quickly fried the brakes and exhausted the suspension, and on irregular roads you started to pogo-stick all over the place. I don't think domestic cars got even remotely "euro" in handling until the 1990s.

And like them or not, the Monte Carlo and Cutlass Salon came with radials standard and thick sway bars for good handling, particularly in that time. Both came out in '73 with the handling features.

Well "good" relative to what came before, point taken, but as this video shows, the thing wallows like a whale and nose dives likes a submarine. And yeah, it has the handling package.

http://testdrivejunkie.com/1973-oldsmobile-cutlass-test-drive/

But you know, American drivers interpreted the word "handling" differently than they do today I think. They heard "handling" but they thought "nice smooth ride". I think GM was giving buyers what they wanted at that time, not what European drivers wanted. It would take more Americans driving Mercedes and BMW sedans for another decade before they figured out what "handling" really meant.

edited February 2014

Well, Road & Track stated that-given a wide enough road-the 1973 Monte Carlo could keep up with a contemporary Bavaria or XJ6. I actually owned a new 1974 Monte Carlo(my father wouldn't co-sign for anything too exotic) and that R&T article played a major part in my decision. I went with stiffer shocks after a year or so and the handling became more than acceptable. The Monte was my first and last GM car(not counting the 1984 Skylark T-Type my wife owned when we married) but I have to say that it wasn't a bad car for it's time- and I ended up keeping it for fifteen years.

edited February 2014

That Cutlass S is a base model, and may have had the sports suspension package, but I am nearly certain it doesn't have radials--much as the Chevelle SS that year did not, even though it had stiffer suspension. Only the Monte Carlo, Cutlass Salon, and Grand Am of the midsize cars had it that year. Even the basic GM intermediates were far-better in terms of handling compared to their similarly-priced competition--any of the mag road test reviews of the day will confirm this.

edited February 2014

Another "Euro"-style option introduced on the Cutlass Salon and Grand Am that year were four-door sedans with bucket seats and console. Prior to that at GM, only coupes and convertibles could be had with bucket seats and console. The seats in the Salon reclined; not sure about the Grand Am.

Neither a Bavaria or an XJ6 would be anything to brag about---try a 2002 and see that Cutlass fly into a ditch. You can add tons of stuff to 70s domestics and make them handle, but you wouldn't actually want to drive it on the street. I mean, that's what NASCAR did. From the factory, stock, American cars from the 70s handle like your mom's couch.

Well, you couldn't put six into a 2002, either, and get it routinely serviced as cheaply. It's all relative. I don't think Olds was marketing a Cutlass Salon against a BMW, merely providing an attractive 'hybrid' of the two.

The demands of the American driver for braking and handling weren't very enthusiastic, so yeah, the D3 gave most people what they wanted. Things like nose-diving, unsprung weight, massive overhang, and fuel economy were hardly thought of, and in fact lots of oversteer was considered, quite correctly, to be safer for big cars. The cars were built for our roads and our drivers, not Italians.

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Neither a Bavaria or an XJ6 would be anything to brag about---try a 2002 and see that Cutlass fly into a ditch. You can add tons of stuff to 70s domestics and make them handle, but you wouldn't actually want to drive it on the street. I mean, that's what NASCAR did. From the factory, stock, American cars from the 70s handle like your mom's couch.

Sorry, but I have owned a Bavaria and currently own a 2002(both with stock suspensions save Bilstein HDs); while a Bavaria gave up a bit of agility to the '02, at an HPDE the ability of the driver dictated who gave the point-by.

edited February 2014

I also owned a Bavaria. Not a car GM would have had to worry about in the 1970s in terms of competition, and GM products in the 70s were way more reliable than a Bavaria or an XJ6. It's the 3 series that defined BMW in America and the 5 and 7 series that gave Americans their first real taste of a mid-size and full-size sedan that was fun to drive. Early 7 series BMWs used to be wonderful cars. Now I'd recommend a Cadillac over any 7 series.

I wouldn't want either- the exception being an Alpina B7

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072

New S-class knocks the socks off the 7er. Silly to pretend to be sporty at that size , so you have to be posh. E23 was definitely sportier than a W126, E38 sportier than a W140 - but the distinction blurred over time.

It'd be something to see Caddy make something for that segment.

GM just gave away the luxury market in the 1980s--just handed it over. Too bad. It's always easier to quit than to get back in.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited March 2014

Happy 9th Anniversary to my wife's 2005 Buick LaCrosse purchased new on Saturday, March 12, 2005!

@lemko said:
    Happy 9th Anniversary to my wife's 2005 Buick LaCrosse purchased new on Saturday, March 12, 2005!

Looks good. And that's a good color. The laCrosse is still a nice design.

@imidazol97 said:

That color is called Deep Sapphire Metallic. She wants her new car to be a similar color.

Cadillac cancels rear wheel drive flagship due in a couple of years.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113070159552/cadillac-flagship-rear-wheel-drive-sedan-not-happening

@imidazol97 said:
    Cadillac cancels rear wheel drive flagship due in a couple of years.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113070159552/cadillac-flagship-rear-wheel-drive-sedan-not-happening

Looks like my 2007 DTS and I will be growing old together!

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638

Either Motor Trend, or C&D, did a road test of a 1973 Cutlass Salon, which was supposed to have the improved "Euro" handling, and they pitted it up against a Benz, but I forget which model.

I forget the details, but they really weren't impressed with either car. Even more interesting, they posted test results from equivalent 1972 models, and the '73 versions scored worse in just about every regard!

I could see a '73 Cutlass accelerating more slowly than a '72, as they were cutting power and adding emissions controls. But I would think it would handle better? Still, their '72 scored better in slalom testing and such.

To show how performance was dropping, Consumer Reports tested a full-sized 1972 Impala with a 350-4bbl, 165 hp, and got 0-60 in 12 seconds. But for '73 they tested a Chevelle with a 350, and 0-60 was 13 seconds, even though it was a lighter car. However, I think the test Chevelle used a 2-bbl version, and it was down to around 145 hp or so. They might have also messed around with the axle ratios, too.