Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300 trasmission

ms300ms300 Member Posts: 1
Well I have a 2007 Chrysler 300 touring I am already having transmission problems. I have 73,000 miles. Can anyone else let me know if they are having transmission problems.

Comments

• deadeye1deadeye1 Member Posts: 6
    What kind of trans. problems are you having ?? I have a 07 300 Touring with
    about 33,000 and could not run/shift any smoother..
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    Throw a quick-easy tune up in it.
    Install a set of "Bosch Platinimum Plus 4" plugs in it.
    Install a K&N Air Filter too. :D
    Remember there is a computer link between your engine AND the trans.
    Have a 1 or 2 cylinder miss? The trans will try to shift up or down automatically to get the best MPG and carry the load. It will feel like its going nuts. :confuse:
    It doesn't know there are cylinders not doing their jobs. Its taking in all kinds of DATA telling it that it is working too hard to keep the speed you want by the throttle position sensor. It downshifts to correct that. It upshifts when the load has decreased.
    All intertwined.
    Good Luck.
    Terry
  • motherof6motherof6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring my transmission is goin out already. I was told I could only buy a new one for these cars. I cannot have a rebuilt transmission. I live in Fort Worth Tx, any one know is this is true? When I drive it will shift ok just for a moment. When i try to speed up you can hear like a vacumn like sound. My RPM will not shift unless I let the gas go. I'm thinking just because I am a women, there just telling me anything. I was quoted 5862.00 to have it fixed/ unfortantly this is a very hard time for me. I cannot afford this. Does anyone know if this is true, or a cheaper place that can help me.
  • sostaksostak Member Posts: 1
    My Chrysler 300 awd will not go over 40mph, it did this a couple of weeks ago so I shut the car off to reset and it's been fine. Today it started to do it again, no check engine light, please help what could this be.
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Well I'd certainly take it and get a second opinion. Depending on the type of trans you have will definitely affect the price. You either have a 4 speed (42RLE) built by Mopar or a 5 speed (W5A) which is actually a mercedes transmission. Both are rebuildable. The are both durable units. Unfortunely you cannot check the fluid level yourself in either unit as you have to have a dipstick tool and a scanner to read temperature. But The most common problem I see with the W5A unit is the case connectors leaking slowly then getting low on fluid and causing shifting problems. Im not sure what you are hearing...just take it somewhere else for another opinion.
    Any type of electrical or mechanical failure will cause the computer to go into a limp mode only allowing one gear...so to many things to list....you need to have it checked and scanned and find out what the failure is.
  • jmorayjmoray Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 300 Touring with 3.5engine and 4speed auto.

Just recently, in the cold, sometimes the engines revs up and down erratically for about 40 seconds. Also when cold, a desire to NOT shift gears.

Today for the first time, I put the car into reverse......and it didn't. After putting into Drive and Back into Reverse, it was fine.

I have 57,000 miles, and live in Ontario Canada.

Jay
    There are computer program updates for your vehicle to help with cold shift problems for this trans and vehicle. I would take it to your dealer and make sure you have all the latest program updates. Do this first before doing anything else.
  • mitch59mitch59 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 toring 3,5 and I was in traffic and could not move I have no gears it will not go in drive or reverse is a cause for a new transmission r what
  • sharon37sharon37 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 chrystler 300 touring and about 75,000 miles. Noticed transmission fluid leaking, took it into a shop and was told i have to take it to a transmission shop. Took it to three transmission shops and was told i shouldn't have any problems with this new of a vehicle and they've never worked on one like this before. WTH ! No dip stick to check the transmission fluid? Read the manual and says there is no need for a transmission fluid dip stick. The last time i drove it, it made a loud noise.
  • youngleighyoungleigh Member Posts: 1
    i have a Chrysler 300 2006 2.7 and that is way to much to price a trans. my best bet to u is to order a new 1 on line for about 1000- 2000 dollars. or put about a cup of train slip and stop leak into it. the bottle is yellow with a red top. just 1 cup will help the hard shifting and make it drive like new. if problem persists repeat process and so on..............
  • dina72571dina72571 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission just went out on me on Dec 17, 2010. They Chrysler Dealer quoted me $5600.00 and I just hung up. I called Cottmans ( I live in MD) and they quoted me $3300 - 3500. It's the Holiday and I cant afford it either. My car has 97550 miles and it is my only mode of transportation. It will sit in the driveway until I am able to afford to get it repaired.
  • dpace0123dpace0123 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2007 300 Touring with only 55,000 miles on it that has started having transmission problems. It is really funny the way it acts up. It acts as if it just can't decide which gear to change into, so it just goes into neutral. The condition is brought on under one of 2 types of driving conditions. One if driving up a steep grade in a lane of traffic and you have to apply brakes then re-apply the accelerator, the transmission doesn't know whether to down-shift of stay in the higher gear, so it goes into the Big "N" and stays there until the car comes to a stop and the engine to an idle. The other situation is when you apply brakes and turn as if making an immediate lane change or are turning onto another road. You will feel a distinct jerk in the transmission when this occurs. Again the transmission will shift into "Neutral". Of course in each case the malfunction light comes on. (Not the Check Engine Light) At times you must bring the car to a complete stop, turn the ignition key to the locked position, (the car is already in "N") re-crank the car and the transmission will work properly until the next episode which may be 2 days or as long as 2 weeks. I had AutoZone check the Code for me and they came back with 2 posibilities. 1) The Fuel Cap had not been properly seated, or 2) Chrysler had installed the wrong transmission or rear axel in my car causing the wrong gear ratio thus the problem with the computer deciding what gear to go in. It goes to Nuetral as a fail-safe. Well, I don't believe that Chrysler installed the wrong Transmission or wrong rear end axel ratio in my vehicle. It has worked too well for 55,000 miles for that to be the problem. I also know that the Gas Cap is not the Problem! So, next I take it to my local Tires Plus Dealer who can also read codes and employees several certified mechanics who I have used in the past. It was time for a tire rotation and oil change anyway. After checking the codes and researching all of the Chrysler material, my good buddy called me and advised that Chrysler recommends replacing the transmission. He said he would replace it with one from Chrysler with a 36 month 100,000 warranty for $4,242.00. or a used transmission from a vehicle with 48,000 miles on it and a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty for $2,375.00. My problem is that he said that evidently it is a very common problem for Chrysler to have all of the research prepared that they do and have transmissions sitting ready to go for replacements. I don't think I need a transmission, mine works fine when it is working. The control process is where the problem lies. Chrysler is trying to make a killing on us for something that is not right.
  • lesha1lesha1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 chrysler 300m it has 140,000 miles on it. I put a crank sensor on, an had spark plugs replaced it ran good for a week. Now while driving it shuts off, bucks and shake. It might start back up but shuts back off or it will not start back up for days. I was told the timing belt needed to be changed or the fuel pump is bad. I just spent $600 in repairs an its still not starting or showing any codes. The check engine light isn't on either can someone help me figure this out. 3 shops has already failed to fix problem
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Go the chryslerfactoryplans.com and purchase an extended warranty. It'll cost you less in the long run.
  • mzmoniquereneemzmoniquerenee Member Posts: 12
    Let me know what they quote you for an extended warranty. I purchased a 2006 300 - 3.5 Touring w/Limited Package. I'm at 69.3__k mileage. I purchased an extended warranty in 2007 for $1,879.00 to 70K w/ a ZERO deductible. Since then I have the rack and pinions replaced and a sensor. Covered by warranty. My car runs extremely well. I have not had any scheduled maintenance as recommended by my Chrysler Owners Manual. I do go to the dealer for oil changes, replaced a four Good Year INTEGRITY tires 1x, the windshield wipers once and the rotors machined. Total maintenance expense not covered by warranty in 5 years 3 months $1,029.32 (that includes hand washing and detailing).

Last week Chrysler Finance at the dealership quoted me a 2nd extended warranty 5yrs/40,000 for $5382.00 I told the guy to KMB Azz!

Stop My Repair Bills quoted me 5yrs/40,000 for 2,140.00. If paid in full. I can still use my dealer for repair and ZERO deductible. I have not committed as of yet still shopping. :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    A company going by the name of "StopMyRepairBills" have been cited many times for not honoring the warranty. Check with the BBB before buying any warranty that is not with the manufacturer. Good luck.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I would not use any after market additive for a Chrysler transmission. The owner's manual specifies the Mopar fluid that must be used. Many owners of Chrysler vehicles have experienced catastrophic transmission failures simply because they used a non-Mopar transmission fluid (especially with the minivans). If your transmission needs a flush (good transmission fluid should be a pinkish or light reddish color), only use the Mopar fluid as recommended in the owner's manual. Good luck.
  • lappo37lappo37 Member Posts: 1
    I brought a 2005 300 Touring used and had to replace transmission,I brought this from Enterprise Rentals and they had a warranty on it. The 3rd gear clutches made it shutter at 30mph. This car only had 46,000 miles on it. The transmission and torque convertor was replaced for free from Enterprise having a warranty of 10000 miles. The headlights were flashing along with the dash and parking lights. The parking light relay was heating up replaced and no more problems. Purchased a best buy warranty for the car for 2700.00 and covers car for 150.000 more miles. Seem to be feeling a shutter again but not sure.
  • minicarminicar Member Posts: 3
    Put back on the car old spark plugs and crank sensor - or better: Think premature failure of new components. I had that happen with NGK spark plug. Scanners will point which cylinder(plug) doesn't work.
  • chrysler301chrysler301 Member Posts: 2
    I need help, I have a07 Chrysler 300 and I'm having problems with the transmission. Doing 20 mph it's at 3000rpm. But 30 mph it will drop down to 2000/25000, but at 40 it goes back up to 3500,4000. It only does it on and off, I have taken it to two dealers and they don't know what's going on...I am not crazy, I am having problems and I need help please.
  • Carrie NanceCarrie Nance Member Posts: 2
    sostak said:
    My Chrysler 300 awd will not go over 40mph, it did this a couple of weeks ago so I shut the car off to reset and it's been fine. Today it started to do it again, no check engine light, please help what could this be.
    minicar said:
    Put back on the car old spark plugs and crank sensor - or better: Think premature failure of new components. I had that happen with NGK spark plug. Scanners will point which cylinder(plug) doesn't work.

• Carrie NanceCarrie Nance Member Posts: 2
    My car done the same not over 40 it was my timing belt