Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can Anyone identify this car?

jeffismejeffisme Member Posts: 2
I recently posted a picture from around sixty years ago on a my blog, and a visitor wondered what the car was that can be partially seen in the photo.

I have no idea, so I thought I'd post the question here.

Here's the link to the blog: http://thekisseloffcollection.com/wordpress/KC

Click on the link at the right for Harry the Good Humor Man.

jeff
Tagged:

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    The car at right with a whitewall continental spare tire appears to be a 1953-54 Packard Caribbean.
  • parmparm Member Posts: 724
    We have a winner!! Yup, that's a 1953-54 Packard Caribbean.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    if that '53-54 Packard influenced GM in any way? I know GM was considered a styling leader in the 50's for the most part, but that rear look like it could have been an inspiration for Pontiac in later years, and those taillights are definitely late 50's Cadillac-ish. In fact, I was having trouble identifying the car, because to me it looked like a cross between a Pontiac and Cadillac!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think anyone was paying much attention to Packard in 1954. It was already dying. They sold very few cars annually, (calender years sales were only 27,593 cars TOTAL) so as an automaker, it wouldn't have been a tempting role model.
  • hariboldharibold Member Posts: 2
    Greetings -- I recently came across a picture taken in 1927. It shows my parents and two friends standing beside a car. Only the back part of the car is visible. Can anyone identify it? The image is on my web site:
    http://web.me.com/haribold/go/Family/Pages/The_1800s-early_1900s.html#8
    FYI: Safari or Firefox work better than Internet Explorer with this site.
    Thanks very much...
    there's hardly anything visually to go on here...all I can say about it is that it is a car made earlier than 1927, perhaps even 10 years earlier, that it is a "phaeton" or "touring" style, and that it is not an expensive car. It has no windows, only side curtains, and wooden artillery wheels, which place it around early 1920s, late teens IMO.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, virtually impossible to tell, but I can tell it a less expensive car probably from 1920-25. The last couple years of Model T production had a curved cowl like that, and it could have been fitted with those artillery wheels, and the car looks pretty small...so it could be a T. The curved area between the body and running board is also very Model T-ish.
  • hariboldharibold Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your replies. After more googling, I'm pretty sure it's a T. I saw that steering wheel on a lot of T pictures, and the 1922 touring T here --
    http://www.nashnut.com/archives/cat_america_on_wheels_allentown_pa_2009.html
    -- shows similarities. Thanks again...
  • drmickdrmick Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    It would be great if anybody would help identify the car in this old family photo at least 80 years old. image
    Toughie. Wish I could read that hubcap.

Artillery wheels, drum headlights, non-chrome or nickel grille...I'll date it 1918-23 or so. A good solid middle class car, a size or two above a Model T or similar.
    Could you see the whole car in the picture ? The preview of my post only displayed the front half so I couldn't tell. The web link does show the whole pic.

We though it might be a Chevrolet
    I didn't originally see it, but I right clicked and now I see it. Here's the URL for anyone else: http://www.skyranchdanes.com/Old_car.jpg

I am pretty certain it is not a Chevrolet, it is a larger car for the period - the hood and cowl are fairly long. That hubcap logo seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. But now I can see the body, I am fairly sure it is from 1922-24.
    It might be an Essex---there were very very few closed cars in the early 20s, and Essex was one of the first in the "closed coupe" style--unless that's a 4-door.

I was wondering if that fancy chromework on the running board might give a clue. The hubcab insignia does look like either a triangle or a Lion's head maybe???
    I think it looks larger than an Essex...definitely a 4 door car too. I can see the handle. It looks like a moderately fancy car.

The hubcaps and that silvered step plate on the running board have to be clues. Might be time for the AACA forum.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    No, I think it's a 2 door, and could well be an Essex. The handle you're seeing is for the front door, there's no handle or door outline for a rear door.

Here's a pic of a '26 Essex, looks lots like the mystery car, especially the headlights, although I know they're not unique:
    edited December 2010
    Ah youre right on the door, and the two tone drum headlights are the same, but as you say, not unique at the time.

The Essex logo was a six sided shape from what I can find, the one on the hubcap here appears to be a triangle. Hmmm

Although the Essex connection gives me a thought - a Hudson of the same vintage. Same corporate family. This 1922 Hudson appears to share some traits

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/30237u.preview.jpg
  • wiz9898wiz9898 Member Posts: 4
    i have posted the picture in jay leno's garage classic cars forum
    worth a visit to that site if you have never been there
    jim
    You will find very few 2D closed cars with artillery wheels---this configuration and vintage does narrow the field.

Of course, there *were* over 2000 separate makes of car in the USA, and when you come up with a regional assembled car, that was made for 3 years in only one city---it gets tough unless you're doing this as a curator or hobbyist 24/7.
    It'll be a toughie as the logo is odd....so likely a defunct make.

I also posted it at the AACA forum here, lots of experts on weird early domestic iron
    And 10 minutes later, they have an answer.

Hudson Six Coach, ~1924.

I was close :P
    http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f208/32061d1246386851-hupp-water-pump-six-cyl- inder-1927-my-hupp.jpg

couldn't find a pic of the hudson but this 1927 hupmobile
    looks mighty close
    jim
    Well we did about as well as they did---we guessed Hudson and Essex, which are sister cars, but we didn't quite nail the year.
    We Just found the original picture, somebody wrote 1924 Hudson a long time ago. You were right on ! Also visited the Hudson.org club.
  • darquorzedarquorze Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Hi, i have been trying to identify the exact models of these cars represented in these badges but with no success so far. I know they are de dion bouton models but i am looking to find out the exact type and from what year these cars were produced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/Ian_Aldridge/