Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to Calculate Monthly Lease Payments

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited February 2013
    however, is it true that interest is not charged on the tax? So, in effect, it is the same as paying tax on the payment (even if calculated differently, if the end result is the same, it doesn't matter). As long as interest isn't charged on the tax, there is no benefit paying it up front, which was the poster's question. Correct?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited February 2013
    If the tax is capitalized, then it will be subject to interest charges as it is included in the gross cap. Below is a lease I constructed almost two years ago in Ohio...

April 11, 2010

2010 Honda Accord LX

Retail Pricing Information

Base MSRP 2010Honda Accord LX AutomaticModel CP2F3AEW………..….…………… 21,855.00
    Polished Metallic ……………………………………..….………………………………… 0.00
    Destination Charge…………………………………………………………….…………….….. 710.00
    MSRP……………………………………………………………………..…………….…...…… 22,565.00

Selling Price
    Agreed Upon Value……………………………………………………………………….……… 18,884.05

Amounts Financed (Capitalized)
    AHFC Acquisition Fee…………………………………………………………………………… 595.00
    Medina Sales Tax @ 6.50%  36  206.93………………………………..…………………….. 484.22

Capitalized Costs
    Gross Capitalized Cost………………………………………………………………….……… 19,963.27
    Capitalized Cost Reduction……………………………………………………………………. 0.00
    Adjusted Capitalized Cost……………………………………………………………………… 19,963.27

Residual Data
    Residual Factor………………………………………………..…………………….…………. 0.60
    Residual Value (Residual Factor × MSRP)………………………..……………….…….….… 13,539.00

Cost of Money/Term
    Money Factor…………………………………………….……………………….……….…… 0.00127
    Term (months)……………………………………………………………………….………… 36

Lease Payment Itemization
    Monthly Lease Payment…………………….…………………..……….…………….…….… 221.00
    Taxable Monthly Lease Payment……………………………………………………..……….. 206.93

Estimated Charges Payable at Lease Origination
    License, Title, Registration Fees (estimated)……………….……….…………………...…….. 125.00
    Amount Due at Lease Signing…………………………………………………………..…..… 125.00

Fund Provider: AHFC
    GAP Coverage: Included
    Annual Mileage Allowance: 12k
    Disposition Fee: None
    Excess Mileage Charge: $0.15 per mile
    edited February 2013
    This goofy line...

Medina Sales Tax 6.50%  36  206.93………………………………..…………………….. 484.22

from the above post should read...

Medina Sales Tax 6.50% x 36 x 206.93..... 484.22

John

PS: Anything that is capitalized in a lease, taxes or otherwise, is going to be charged interest.
  • thngpg3388thngpg3388 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all the info. A little over my head.

So paying upfront and paying monthly is essentially the same?

Only asking because I have 2 lease offers: 1 w/ all fees/taxes rolled into monthly payments and the other with much higher upfront costs including tax w/ lower monthly.

the higher upfront cost sounds cheaper in the long run but maybe i'm missing some additional fees.
    Given that a car is a depreciating asset and the cost of money is relatively cheap, I wouldn't part with any money upfront. Just roll it in with the lease.

John
  • thngpg3388thngpg3388 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice!
    I don't believe the tax is capitalized in NJ. At least, I can't find any evidence that supports that.

So that OH lease you pasted, I can see that, if interest wasn't charged on the tax, the payment would be about 60 cents less. AFAIK, if you did that same lease in NJ, the payment would be $220.38.

Maybe I'll see if my sister can bring over her lease contracts we did a few weeks ago so I can take a look.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Tax can be capitalized at the lessee's request. I have constructed several lease proposals for individuals in the State of NJ over the past three (3) years and have never had a problem with any of the NJ dealerships doing this. They really don't care and neither does the State of NJ. Either way, NJ will receive the tax payment upfront. The fund provider simply advances the dealer the cash to pay the taxes and the lessee re-pays the tax, included in their lease payment, over the term of the lease.

If you have any questions about the lease contract, please let me know.
    I'll be glad to address them.

John
  • javacafejavacafe Member Posts: 2
    I received an offer from a Volkswagen dealer on a 2013 CC

MSRP 32890

Sell price 29576

Money factor.00010

Payment of $479/month with $1000 down + fees.

Is this a good deal?? :confuse:
    I'm having a tough time following your posts. I thought you used the term "capitalized" to mean the total the interest is charged on. The simple question is, "does NJ charge interest on the tax if you don't pay it up front?"

I'm saying no, because that's what I've read. Are you saying yes or no?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    NJ collects the tax upfront...

If you wish your bank to pay the tax and then add the amount to your capitalized cost, then you will certainly pay finance charges on that amount...

NJ doesn't care.... they always get it upfront...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bwaabwaa Member Posts: 13
    ARRRGH I WISH I HAD READ THIS POST BEFORE I LEASED MY SUBARU FORRESTER AHHHH :'(
    NJ does not charge interest on the tax if it's not paid upfront because they're not the entity that funds the lease. It's the fund provider that charges interest on the tax if it's not paid upfront because the tax is financed (capitalized) in the lease. NJ does not finance leases. Banks and manufacturer finance subsidiaries (e.g., American Honda Finance, etc.) finance leases.

John
    TheAutoLeaseGeek
    edited February 2013
    I didn't actually mean the state of NJ. I meant in NJ. I am well aware NJ isn't charging interest like a lender.

• sepi60sepi60 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Hello everyone:

So, I'm trying to practice my calculations before going to the dealer today, but something doesn't add up. For the lease special offered at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/Vehicles/2013/X1/xDrive28i/

with MSRP of $38,345, $725 Acquisition fee, $750 loyalty rebate, and $3,624 first month (including $2500 down, $725 acq. fee and $399 first month payment), I get monthly payments of $412 (pretax and excluding license and reg), when I use 0.0013 for money factor and 0.6 residual factor for 10,000 miles per year. (these are the values currently offered by BMW financials).

Here is my calculations:
    Net Cap Cost = 38345 (MSRP) + 725 (acq. fee) - 2500 (down payment) - 725 (acq. fee paid upfront) - 750 (loyalty rebate) = 35095

Month depreciation = (35095-23007)/36 = 336
    Interest = (35095+23007)*.0013 = 76

Total = 336+76 = 412

The only way that I can $399 seems to be if I include first month payment in "cap cost reductions", to bring the net cap cost down to $34696, which reduces the monthly depreciation to
    $325 and the finance charge to $75 (total ~$400). But including first month payment in the "cap cost reduction" doesn't make sense to me. If I do that, should I then divide the total depreciation by 35 instead of 36 (since one month is already paid)?

Am I missing something?

Thanks much
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    What you are missing is the selling price of the vehicle... You aren't going to pay MSRP, are you?

There is an unspecified dealer discount in the advertisement...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sepi60sepi60 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks kyfdx.

No, in reality I will negotiate and get (hopefully) a much better price than MSRP. I was just trying to practice to get the numbers posted on their website right.

So, there's a hidden discount somewhere. That makes much more sense.
  • melech37melech37 Member Posts: 18
    I was planning on leasing a Volkswagen CC probably next month, But when I look at the very substantial incentives ($3500) available in April I'm feeling some pressure to do it now. I'm concerned that VW may not extend the incentive into May.
    Does anyone know what rationale the car makers use in keeping or pulling incentives from month to month? Is there any public source that can accurately estimate the next months deals?

Melech
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Here's our VW CC Lease Questions discussion:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1ba668/565

However, there is NO source that can tell you what next month's incentives will be. These aren't published anywhere because they would influence buying patterns, and also, because sometimes incentives are based on previous months' sales.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jsas1981jsas1981 Member Posts: 7
    Delta737h,

Have a few questions on the sales tax on a lease quote I received for a 2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium - 3 year/36K . I will list my details below but the total sales tax the dealer calculated on their lease worksheet came out higher then my calc. I am leasing in NJ.

MSRP: 44,645
    Cap Cost : 41,000
    Acq Cost : 595
    Rebate: 675
    Adj Cap Cost 40,920
    Residual: 54%
    Money Factor: .00056

The total sales tax that the lease worksheet I have is $1,351.20. I am coming in a little less then that if I base my tax calculation off of the total amount that I am technically "borrowing" which would be 16,811.70. Let me know if you have any insight on this topic.

Thanks!
    Greetings isas1981!

Yes, I do have some insight on the way taxes are computed in NJ as it is done the same way in Ohio. What I need to know is your NJ sales tax rate.

John
    TheAutoLeaseGeek
    Hi delta737h,

The tax rate in NJ is 7%
    isas1981,

Something is missing. Did you capitalize the first payment and/or tax into the lease? If you email me the dealer worksheet, I'll be able to see exactly what's going on with this lease.

John
    John - Send me your email address and ill scan it over to you.

Jeff
    Here's my email...

[email protected]

John
  • drt222drt222 Member Posts: 9
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Here's the offer I have:

Cap cost:28872
    MSRP: 33160
    Purchase option: 16266.80
    Residula: 48%

They didn't give me the MF but they came up with a monthly lease payment of 399 with $0 down and 1st month free for a 39 month lease period.

Is that a good deal?
    Hi - this discussion is for more general questions about leasing, and calculating the lease payment itself. For info on what specifically constitutes a good deal on a particular vehicle, you're better off posting in a discussion about that vehicle: VW CC Lease Questions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• donuts3donuts3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Am looking at leasing for the first time ever. I have some interesting (good?) money factors , ranging from .0013 and .0016 for various crossovers (i haven't decided which one I like - OUtback, Santa Fe, CX5, Sorento), and residual values from about 59 - 63%. I am looking for 36 - 42 mo, 10K - 12K mi, and $0 down. Some of the monthly payments are around $350. I really would like to get this down closer to $300. is the only number I can push on the Sale price of the car, without having to put money down? I thought that money factor was unable to budge, but a friend just suggested it may be.

Also - is it common/uncommon/advisable or not to ask for service contract to be thrown in?

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for new car lessees. If you leased a new car in the past few months, and would like to share your story, please email your daytime contact information to [email protected].
  • steamroll9steamroll9 Member Posts: 14
    I would like to trade in my car in and lease a new car. New job, less money, better benefits. I do still owe money on the car but have about 13-14k equity in the car. Would like to use a little of the money towards a new car lease and pocket rest of the money so I can supplement my income. I know that you get less for trading in vs. selling privately, but to add the tax to the trade-in amount to see if it is worth it just to sell privately.

Question is, for the amount of money I will receive for my trade-in, the tax on the amount will far surpass the amount of taxes on the lease. What happens with the excess taxes? Applied to the lease? Or will I loose it? Thanx!
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    You don't buy the car that you are leasing, you do not own it. Thus there is NO tax advantage for trading in. In most states, you pay sales tax each month on the actual lease payment. In Texas, where I live, the leasing company pays the sales tax (on the entire purchase price) up front and then expects you to pay it back to them.

http://www.leaseguide.com/articles/texas-auto-lease.htm

You might want to do a google search and see how it works in the state where you live. But in no case (that I am aware of) do you get a "tax advantage" for trading in.
    well, I can say in NJ you do. If I trade in a car worth $14k on a lease where I'm financing $14k in depreciation over the life of the lease, I don't pay tax on that depreciation cost.

To answer the OP (I thought I answered this very question already... maybe in a different discussion): there is no excess tax refund because it isn't a refund, it is a credit, therefore it can never go less than zero.

• jsdnjjsdnj Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    Hi there. I am working a deal with a local dealership for a 2014 Cadillac ATS with MSRP of $48,415. This is what we have worked out:

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/08507278119174813050.jpg

The deal is set up with $2k out of pocket for me. However when I plug all numbers into this lease calculator, I get around $1500 due at signing and a slightly lower payment:

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/89308216729744087755.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I am missing? What I am doing wrong?

Thanks
  • zkayzkay Member Posts: 8
    Kristie,

First of all, thank you so much for the info on how to calculate the lease payments.
    I made a spreadsheet to run the numbers given the MF, Residual %age, Cap Cost etc.

Some of my numbers are coming out off from what I am reading on this forum. I would really appreciate if you can glance over the following image and let me know what am I doing wrong, will take just a couple of mins. The calcs are here: http://imgur.com/mKfzR8Q

Thanks!
    Greetings zkay!

Don't mean to steal Kirstie's thunder but your first column calculations look just fine unless your inputs are incorrect. Where are you seeing discrepancies?

John
    TheAutoLeaseGeek
    Steal away, John! I have no thunder, LOL. Calculating lease payments is out of my area of expertise, or even basic competence. I leave it to you experts to provide good info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• soulsmithsoulsmith Member Posts: 1
    The dealer said $400/month for a 36 month/12k miles/year with zero down
    Is this good ?
    Is this fair ?
    Does it mean anything without any other numbers like cap cost and residual and all that ?
    NY State.
    Thank you in advance for your answers, all !
    Please let me know if I need to get certain info from dealer to share with you so you can answer more accurately.
    I appreciate it. Please reply soon as I'm supposed to be signing in a couple of days.
    Hi - if you're still looking, our Santa Fe Lease Questions discussion would be a better place to compare what others are paying for their leases:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef9da1d/0

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• mshumer1mshumer1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, what is the monthly cost of leasing a 2014 BMW 320i xdrive in Mineral Grey Metallic with the Premium Package and heated front seats. Price of vehicle is $36,042.97 with a money factor of .00125 and a 52% residual. Only paying taxes and fees totalling $2,800. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • smartin104smartin104 Member Posts: 42

Hi.. general question: having difficulty figuring out how tax is calculated when leasing (in NJ @ 7%). is the tax applied to the base monthly lease (selling price less RV divided by lease term months) + monthly interest pymt (selling price + RV * MF)??

I ask b/c the dealer wants a down payment and i believe that he mentioned that the payment would cover tax in some fashion. So am I paying the tax upfront in the down payment and then again in my total monthly? if that is the case then aren't you paying tax twice?

or should i only be paying the tax on the monthly and that the down payment that is "supposed to go to tax" is actual cost cap reduction? but if you have already agreed upon a selling price, doesn;t that mean that that down payment is actually just reducing your incentives since your selling price is already agreed upon?

Can someone please clarify when the tax is or should be applied to a lease deal in NJ?

thank you in advance

• tyleryactyleryac Member Posts: 20
    2015 Ford Fusion SE
    0.50% APR and 55% residual
    MSRP $25,702
    Negociated $24,000
    7% NJ Tax 
    36 months 10,500 miles 

can someone please calculate. Thanks!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,555
    tyleryac said:

2015 Ford Fusion SE
    0.50% APR and 55% residual
    MSRP $25,702
    Negociated $24,000
    7% NJ Tax 
    36 months 10,500 miles 

can someone please calculate. Thanks!

$282.01/mo before tax ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tyleryactyleryac Member Posts: 20
    Thanks
  • jkern33jkern33 Member Posts: 27
    Hello -

I'm looking to lease a 2015 Rouge SV (Prem Interior + Mats). I spoke to a sales manager last night and he came back to me with the following :

MSRP = 29,000
    Selling Price = 26,225
    MF = ? Won't tell me
    Residual % = Wont tell me
    Mo Lease PMT = 310
    Mo Tax = 27.90

I have my own analysis where I'm manipulating the numbers to get to his payment and it looks like the tax of 27.90 is being calculated based on the residual value of the car. Is this correct? PA tax is 6%.
    jkern33 said:

Hello -

I'm looking to lease a 2015 Rouge SV (Prem Interior + Mats). I spoke to a sales manager last night and he came back to me with the following :

MSRP = 29,000
    Selling Price = 26,225
    MF = ? Won't tell me
    Residual % = Wont tell me
    Mo Lease PMT = 310
    Mo Tax = 27.90

I have my own analysis where I'm manipulating the numbers to get to his payment and it looks like the tax of 27.90 is being calculated based on the residual value of the car. Is this correct? PA tax is 6%.

In PA, the tax for a lease is calculated against the monthly payment.

And, the tax rate is 9%, not 6%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I think thing the tax in Philadelphia is 9% but I don't live within the city limits...I thought it was 6%?
    Am I missing something? See below?

Pennsylvania sales tax is 6% of the purchase price or the current market value of the vehicle (7% for residents of Allegheny County and 8% for City of Philadelphia residents).
    Buying or Selling Your Vehicle in Pennsylvania - PennDOT ...
    www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-buysell.pdf

jkern33 said:

Am I missing something? See below?

Pennsylvania sales tax is 6% of the purchase price or the current market value of the vehicle (7% for residents of Allegheny County and 8% for City of Philadelphia residents).
    Buying or Selling Your Vehicle in Pennsylvania - PennDOT ...
    www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-buysell.pdf

It was my understanding that the 9% was specifically for leases.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

okay yes you're correct...I just found it. it's 6% Sales Tax + 3% Use Tax (only applicable in PA)
    jkern33 said:

okay yes you're correct...I just found it. it's 6% Sales Tax + 3% Use Tax (only applicable in PA)

Shew! Had me worried there for a moment.

FYI, the lease sales tax rate is 10% in Pittsburgh.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator