Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hello all. 1st off I want to congratulate everybody on their new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokees. The positive press this Jeep has gotten is incredible. It is sharp and rugged looking and the interior is beautiful.

My current daily driver is a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH that has over 134,000 miles. I'm still in love with how my car drives after almost 9 years (purchased new in April 2002 as a leftover). I bought it when I was 26. I'm now almost 35 & have a family. I recently moved to Connecticut (Stamford) and the difference between how the roads are plowed between CT & NY is staggering. My 4 snow tires and 5 speed manual transmission got me to work yesterday, but my Prelude's touch more than 5" of ground clearance almost got me into a lot of trouble. I had to go North on the Merrit Parkway instead of South because the entrance ramp wasn't plowed, then couldn't get off to turn around until Norwalk because the exit ramps weren't plowed. My Prelude did excellent, especially since I found out late last night that Governor Malloy told people "If you don't have four wheel drive & good tires, you are going to get stuck, so stay off the roads."

Now I understand that the Blizzard we had the day after Christmas and yesterday's 14" of snow are not the norm and at most we get maybe 10 snowstorms the whole year. My snow tires have done well by me for the last number of years, so I'm not running out to buy an SUV just for the four wheel drive. As a homeowner & parent I feel the need to own a vehicle with more interior space & cargo room (For those of you who are curious, my wife drives a 2010 Acura TSX).

This brings me to my point. Sometime in the next 6 months to a year, I'm going to attempt to sell my BELOVED Prelude & purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Of course I have to DRIVE it first. It looks sharp in red with the black interior. For $1495, I want the HEMI. Luxury group II, Blind Spot detection, and I'm sure leaving something out, but my built MSRP was a little over $45,000.

I'm definitely in NO RUSH to get the car. The middle of January is NOT the time to sell a 2 door sports coupe. But when the time is right, I'm going to try and strike while the iron is melting (if gas prices go sky high over the summer). I really wanty to wait for the 8 speed automatic because I'm sure it will do wonders for both the car's acceleration & fuel economy numbers. So I'll be lurking and posting here for a while.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    edited January 2011
    The 2011 JGC is a superb vehicle which is beating all the competition regardless of cost.

It marks the beginning of a new era for Chrysler and Jeep.

There is truly nothing like it and I can hardly wait to get mine. Camel leather with white exterior and all the bells and whistles except the blind spot detection system which I did not feel I needed pariicularlyl

HEMI of course!
    Is a fantastic invention IMO. Because of styling trends in recent years with most vehicles having "high beltlines," thick C Pillars, & manufactures trying to make their SUVs "less boxy," terrible blind spots have been created where they never existed before. Go sit in an E30 (1984-1991) BMW 3 series. The view around the car is truly panoramic. My Dad has it on his 2010 Tahoe & Mom has it on her 2011 Cayenne. It is just another very useful tool.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Can anybody explain better the Jeep's 4WD systems? Is the Limited w/ HEMI (Quadra Drive II?) always in 4 wheel drive or can it be put into 2WD?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to posting more in the coming months.

• jjp550jjp550 Member Posts: 3
    They took care of the problem needed a computer update from Chrysler
  • jjp550jjp550 Member Posts: 3
    Very pleased with the jeep now,runs nice Jeep gets a thumbs up from me now
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    I finally received my new 2011 GC Overland with the Off Road pkg. With this pkg you get 18" rim & tires. According to the window.sticker the tires should be On Off Road tires. The tire that came.on it are plain jane Michelin all season radial touring tires. I went to the Chrysler Jeep website and did the Build your own and that says the same thing... on off road tires. Chrysler says the tires that came on the Jeep are the normal ones supplied with pkg, I say they're wrong, it should be the on off roads just as it says on the window.sticker.
    I'm curious if anyone else has had this come up.
    Thanks for any input anyone has.
  • rrhoadrrhoad Member Posts: 3
    I am ordering an Overland with Mineral Gray Exterior. My wife is very partial to the Black interior, I am somewhat indifferent. The sales person strongly recommends the Frost Beige. Any thoughts? Maybe this could be a poll of sorts. What do any of you prefer or think would look good with the Mineral Gray exterior? Incidently, I called Jeep Corporate regarding another issue and they state that the Saddle interior currently can only be ordered with the Overland Summit.

Thanks
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Member Posts: 21
    I just bought an Overland, White clearcoat with Frost Beige, 18" Chrome wheels with Michelin white lettered tires (I have the trail rated package), it is a winner. I have people comming up to me all the time commenting on it. The nice thing is there are not a lot of white ones on the road so you stand out from the rest of the Cherokees The thing I dont like about dark interiors is they look dirty all the time because of dust, etc and they are hot in the summer. As long as you have a good leather cleaner the lighter coloured interiors are the best. The grey coloured leather dash with the stitching looks really rich. I think if you get to sit in one you will know what I am talking about. Good luck.

GB
    I've always especially been partial to black interiors because they show the least amount of dirt (especially the floormats) and are the easiest to clean. Some of the lighter color interiors (in general, not just JEEP) get blue jeans rubbing off on them.

• mustafa1mustafa1 Member Posts: 2
    I also purchased 2011 Jeep GC V6 in September 2010....The 'check engine light' came on for the first time on Jan. 11th/2011 after hearing a one second rattling sound coming from the engine compartment..... and then I couldn't get the Jeep to accelerate past 60 km/hr.....shutting the engine off and restarting got it to run normally again.......dealer told me that it was an "UNKNOWN ERROR CODE" when they scanned it and the check engine light coming on would cause the computer to go into a "torque request denied" state when I pressed on the accelerator pedal!!! Dealer suggested that I turn the engine off and on again if the problem reoccurred!!! I didn't pay $50,000 to do this! JEEP NEEDS TO GET A SOLUTION NOW!!!

A second instance of the 'check engine light' coming on occurred a few days later on Jan. 14th/2011. This time I went to another dealership which scanned the error codes.....and this time they told me that the error code was a faulty "valve timing sensor". They ordered the part and I should have it installed on Jan. 21st....so I hope this fixes this problem!! WE'LL SEE!!

Another complaint that I had that still exists (even after complaining to both dealerships) is that when pressing gently on the accelerator from a stopped position,....there is frequently a slight hesitation followed by a surge in acceleration. THIS IS DEFINITELY UNACCEPTABLE and Jeep needs to find a solution FAST !!!
  • mustafa1mustafa1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Jeep GC V6....and....I also am disappointed in a frequently occurring, noticeable hesitation followed by a surge when accelerating from a stop! The dealer has to date (Jan. 18th/2011) no solution to this problem!!! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!....JEEP NEEDS TO FIND A SOLUTION FAST!!!
  • ethaskellethaskell Member Posts: 10
    I also have just recently taken delivery of my Trail Rated Overland with the Off Road Package. It also came with the cheap mud and snow tires rather than the On & Off road tire described in all the material I had received from Chysler. (Along with miss-installed carpet with a hole, a poorly made steering wheel, and a radio that does not include all of the satellite radio programming.) My dealer is slow balling me on the tire situation.

I was "very" excited about this new vehicle, and traded in an excellant ride to have it. I bought the "America, we will do better..." line.

I am extremely disappointed in the condition of this "specially made for..." vehicle, and the casual attitude taken by the dealer. It's the same business as usual that gave the foreign auto makers the following they have.

And I am not taking those "bait & switch" tires into the desert, or any where else offroad, which was the whole point of getting this vehicle. Since MicheIin spells it out so clearly in their product information, I think any government regulator or court official will easily see the difference between tires advertised for highway use and tires that are for On & Off road use.
  • surferronsurferron Member Posts: 6
    Don't get black. Every dust speck shows and dirt/ debris on the carpets stand out. I have black on black and it looks great clean, until it doesn't.
  • dvp16dvp16 Member Posts: 15
    If you google 2011 cherokee tech service you should be able to find the service notes on the V6. There are already quite a few on the 2011. New model/engines are best purchased a year after they come out so the bugs are worked out. That is the main reason I went with the hemi.
    Agree, I have a the 18 inch wheels and the sticker says on/off road tires and I got the plain jane tires. I was reading on tire rack on that model tire in the reviews and a 2011 cherokee owner had already replaced his after his slid through an intersection in the snow. I am having the same problem, the tires do not shed snow it sticks to them. I really do not think we should all have to go buy tires because chrysler slapped on whatever was in the warehouse on some build days. Maybe someone on here is an attorney and can file a class action for us!

I think chrysler went in the right direction with this vehicle, but as in the past their dealers attitudes and the company's the customer is wrong bull will still do them in at the end.
    QD II is always in 4 wheel drive but engages when necessary as I understand it. It is computer controlled and works with the ESC hence the settings for auto or snow etc. There is an update for the electronic stability control to make it more sensitive if you want for vehicles manufactured before 12/30/10. Contact your dealer about service bulletin 02-004-10 to get the ESC re programmed with the update. There are some videos on you tube of factory reps driving the vehicle off road and it explains how the system works off road etc. Just search 2011 cherokee on you tube.
    After going up the Chrysler service ladder I.was told I've gone as far as I can with them. Now I have to speak with the district MGR for.this area. Of course I've got to get his name & number fm the dealership. I'm sure I won't get too far but I'll keep u posted.
    Good luck with your efforts. Last Thursday my service rep. called to say they were going to make it right. He said he would check for the final details and call me that afternoon with the solution. I'm still waiting.

I have read of others with the same complaint, so would not be surprised if this leads to a court case. Would like to just have Chysler do the right thing by us without all the BS.
    I was discussing the tires with an attorney today. As an alternative he suggested filing a complaint with the state attorney general. So depending on how your state attorney general operates you may want to consider that.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    If you have the 18" wheels, just go ahead and get the Nokian WR G2s. They are truly fabulous tires in any weather on any surface.

If you have the 20" tires, you have my sympathies. It is truly time for this Madison Avenue-induced obsession with big tires to end.
  • kwteng2kwteng2 Member Posts: 12
    Exactly what brand tires do you have? I traded in my 2007 and those tires where great, the ones on my 2011 suck in my opinion. Also another complaint I have is road noise is very high.
  • olytreemanolytreeman Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    We got our new cherokee laredo last week. Only have about 250 mi. on it but am very impressed so far. With out a doubt the quietist vehicle I have ever drove.
    I am in NW Illinois and right in the heart of the blizzard today. It got me home with no problem through some very deep snow. :)
    I do have one problem and that is the luggage rack it appears both Thule and Yakima are no fit for their racks because nothing but factory bars will fit in the tracks. Very disappointed with that. :(
    Does anyone have and ideas on the rack?
    I wound up with the same prob. I had to get the factory acessory racks for $244.00. They're nice racks but they should have come with the Jeep just like they always did. I have a $450.00 Chrysler roof box that I now hope I can adjust enough to fit the new racks. The racks.fit nice but they're a bit difficult to adjust front and back. U have to tighten them with a special allen type wrench. Let us know how u make out.
  • jeep555jeep555 Member Posts: 5
    I have the exact same problem with the hesitation in the acceleration from a stop. I also have a V6 2011 grand cherokee. It seems to be mostly in vehicles that were made before Sept. of 2010. Do you know when your vehicle was made? Mine was made in July 2010. There is a software update that should supposedly fix the problem, but after I took it in for that, I'm still experiencing the same thing. Have you heard anything new on this since you last posted?
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2011
    QDII is the VERY best 4X4 unit out there. It can put 100% (Yes-100%) of the engine power to just one wheel if all the other 3 are slipping.

Most other car can put just 25% power to each wheel.

The QDII has a locking axel. Just one now, but it used to have 2 (but that setup has terrible gas milage)

Only the Range Rover has a better 4X4 system.

Honda has the very worst. All the Honda's drag a tire as they turn.

The Jeep QDII has a center Viscous Coupler that allows the system to act as a differential so that no tires are dragged or scuffed as you turn.

As I said above, most systems that are AWD send the power to the front or back axel as needed. The Jeep (on the other hand) can put the power to the front, back, left, right (left front, right back) etc.

You have the best 4x4 except for the Range Rover (which is better, but cost $90K +)

and if you do get stuck, at least all the other 4X4's and AWD's will be behind you! :)
  • fear_nuttinfear_nuttin Member Posts: 2
    I have a fully loaded 2011 GC Overland. Problem: from a stop, when backing up, and cutting the wheels, the vehicle "sometimes" feels like it in 4WD. need to hit the accelerator to move the vehicle, and doeasn't roll backwards. Needs to be gassed. Sometimes happens when moving forward and cutting the whells from a dead stop. Dealer says this is "normal", but I don't buy it. Feels like it's in 4WD low. Any comments??
  • pcmanpcman Member Posts: 8
    We just bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland. My wife loves it! It came with a trial of the Sirius radio and the Sirius TravelLink subscription. Problem is there seems to be no way to access the TravelLink, at least on the 430n radio. Sirius couldnt help. Dealer was clueless. Not that big a deal but i thought it's kind of cool to see the weather maps and sports scores on the nav screen. Any ideas?
    We have the same set of problems: no TraveLink in the 430n, which was substituted for the 730n that was specified in our order, and the dealer has no updates to fix the problem. Sirius has tried to help, but they say they have no way of updating the radio, and referred me back to Chrysler.

I'm pretty bummed as my Grand Cherokee came with poorly installed carpets, a bad steering wheel, and no on/off road tires that were specified.

The dealer has promissed to replace the carpets and the steering wheel, as soon as they are available (?). I'm told Jeep considers the tires "good enough" though they are not classified as on/off road.

The radio problem is curious as the documents that came with the GC say the 430n has a 30 gig hard drive, while the radio setup mode reports it's 28. May the TravelLink software in on the missing 2 gigs. ;-)

This really is "old style" car manufactoring, not the new business model we have been promised. Beginning to think Mercedes knew something that Fiat didn't when they bailed. Could be they just couldn't crack that coporate culture that has messed up Detroit.

Sorry to be the wind bag, but this whole thing has been a real dissapointment, and it's a shame because this is a really great vehicle. I love the sound of all that gas running through that hemi.
  • maybturtlemaybturtle Member Posts: 1
    Test drove one 2/8/11. Totally agree with comment regarding thickness of steering wheel. Also, has anyone noticed that the top of the steering wheel occludes the view of the speedometer from about 60 on over? I kept thinking the steering wheel needed to move to the right about 3 to 4 inches. Definitely was a deterrant for me. On highway, steering was a little over-responsive. I, too, am waiting to see what the 2012 will bring for improved gas mileage. Love all the updates to inside and techno features.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    It was down to the Jeep 6 cylinder, Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60. I was very tempted by the Overland with off road 2 package since I have a vacation home down an unplowed road and it seemed so damn capable. What finally swung the decision were the following:
    • I was concerned about Jeep reliability under Fiat and with virtually a new vehicle this year.
    Gas mileage
    • Hesitation
    Amazing safety tech on the Volvo
    • 5 year warranty and free service package
    Two free tickets to Europe and my car in Europe for 30 days with their overseas delivery package
    • And surprisingly the steering wheel on the Jeep felt too fat. I have large hands and maybe I would have gotten used to it but I couldn't be sure and it just felt weird.
  • thunderchild68thunderchild68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Limited and I was curious about the TraveLink also. After some research, I found out that the free subscription does not include TraveLink and or Sirius Traffic. They are both subscription based and priced separately. I don't think that you can subscribe to either until your free subscription is over, but I may be wrong about that part. Let me know if you find out anything different. Also, I love my GC!!!!!
  • fear_nuttinfear_nuttin Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm...I've had no responses to my post. Anyone have some insight for me?
    Accordimg to Sirius, Travel Link for the 430n & Traffic for the 730n is included in the trial period. I have the 430n also and do not have the Travel Link available either. The dealership did some research for me through Chrysler, and found out there is a software update that will allow the Travel Link option. Supposed to be availabe as of Jan 16th but the dealer doesn't have it yet. Said they'd contact me when the receive it. Hope this helps.
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    Yesterday, I ordered a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi. I am wondering how good the original equipment tires are for snow and ice. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
    20" rims or the off.road pkg 18's? Michelin's?
    20 inch rims. Good Year Fortera, P265/50/R20..
    I have the Overland Trail Rated Package with 18" Michelins, they are not off road tires, they suck. I picked up Continental Conti 4x4 Winter Contact and they have been great, very quit and great handling on dry roads (which we have a lot of) but tears through the snow. Toronto has mostly dry roads with occasional snow storms or slush/ice conditions. These are best for those conditions.
  • rrhoadrrhoad Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my V6 Overland 4x4 last week. Traded in a 2010 Hemi 4x4. No regrets re: losing the Hemi. Was worried that I would miss the power, but the V6 has plenty of get up and go (won't be towing and no hills here in Tidewater, VA). Very impressed with the quality of the interior. Don't see a problem with the thickness of the steering wheel, and the 20" wheels ride great. Love the height suspension, and sure the ventilated seats will come in handy after a workout (particularly in a few months from now). I haven't perceived the slightest bit of hesitation or other reported problems.
    So far so good!
    Anyone having a problem with the suspension squeaking at slow speeds? They have changed some mounts but that did not fix it and the dealer is waiting for engineering to get back to them.
  • wschneiderwschneider Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    purchased a 2011 overland with 5.7 hemi ,no dual winshield visors,heated steering wheel ,but center spokes have ice cold brushed aluminum on cold mornings,to activate rear winshield wiper , you almost have to be a contorsionist to work it while driving ! i have a 2009 challenger srt8 that i can change my audio modes from stereo ,audio surround or video suuround but , on the jeep you can't change audio modes even though they are the same radios ,730n ,code rer. any body know if audio modes can be changed on the jeep ? thanks .
    Does anyone know the difference between the 430N and 730N media centers? Seems like you can only order an Overland with the 730N center. So, if I buy an Overland with the 430N center from a dealer now, what would I be missing?
    I don't seem to have a problem activating the rear wiper. It's only one quarter twist and works fine. As for switching media modes, it can be done by voice if that's what your referring to. Give me a follow up.
    My Overland was supposed to come with the 930 but was delivered with the 430 instead. Chrysler told me they had problems with the 930 so they replaced it with the 430 without telling anyone. The 430 works fine and there doesnt seem to be that much difference unless you need that much more song storage. From what I can tell, the 430 has Travel Link and the 730 has the Traffic link... not sure what else there is. You can always call Chrysler and order the REAL instruction manual.
    The salesman told me that the difference is that the 430 has the Garmin maps which is a plus but that the 730 has voice control for the nav. When I was looking I thought the standard was the 430 and you paid a few hundred premium for the 730.
  • moorish84moorish84 Member Posts: 1
    So i bought my 2011 jeep at the end of august 2010, i noticed a scratch on the interior mirror and before driving it off the forecourt asked for it to be fixed. There weren't any new mirrors in stock so the dealership signed off on it with a promise to repair later. 2 months later and true to their word i brought it in for a regular service and they tried replacing the interior mirror and EVERYTHING has gone to hell!!
    The interior mirror and auto hi beam headlights will not calibrate with the comms module in the main body of the vehicle. I have wipers and all my neccessary functions with the vehicle but no auto headlights and the interior and exterior mirrors go exceptionally dark in the twilight and nightime periods. The interior mirror button to turn off the dimming feature does not work, it just continually flashes at me and doesn't allow me to restore normal nightime vision. As a result of the exceptionally dark mirrors I am faced with impaired driving conditions through a huge lack of depth perception from these dark mirrors (almost pitch black!).
    The issue has been like this since November when the dealership initially attempted the exchange and messed everything up. It has been in for a fix 5 times to the dealership, Chryslers STAR group have been notified since the first attempted fix and the vehicle has spent a 4 night block stay with the dealership in an attempt to fix this and over 9 days on seperate visits.
    In my eyes it's a safety issue to drive at night cos you can't see the cars in your wing mirrors properly and the rear view mirror is just pitch black. I've given them plenty of opportunity to fix the issue, i didn't want to whine and be a fussy customer but now i'm just fed up! $45k on a fully loaded Ltd 4X4 GC and it doesn't work 3 months on from the initial repair attempt!
    Can I get someone's honest oppinion if I should now get a lawyer and go crazy on Chrysler?
    I filed for the lemon laws last week because Chrysler said they don't have a fix and it will take several months to find one. Since notifying the dealership and Chrysler I have heard nothing from Chrysler and the dealerships service manager is very relaxed about the whole thing!
    Meanwhile I have a pregnant wife who either cannot drive the car at night or does so with the risk of crashing (which i'm never letting her do in a million years!!).
    So really i'm unable to drive my car safely at night!
    I loved everything about my jeep before the repair and would like some feedback from the forum.
    Sorry this is so long, thanks for your time :-)

John
    Do you have another dealer close by? They might have a better mechanic.
  • wschneiderwschneider Member Posts: 2
    good morning , thanks for the reply .what i'm talking about is the audio modes. like some cd's sound fine in stereo mode but, not in surround mode. i'll play the same cd in my challenger in the stereo audio mode and it sounds fine but i'll play the same cd in the jeep with the same radio code rer. and it sounds like crap . what i'm trying to find out is why i can't change my audio modes from surround mode to just stereo mode like i can in the challenger with same radio. well, thanks again!
    Just curious if anyone that ordered the Off Road Adventure pkg. and received touring tire instead of the on-off road tires that were supposed to come with it ever contacted Chrysler about it and what their response was. Are ther willing to do anything about the tires or not. I'm wondering how many of us are out there.
    I, and many others, have the same problem. There are a number of posts on this forum, including my some what long winded rants. I have been advised that the district manager in my area has been instructed "not" to address this problem. It is so clear that the tires provided are in no way what is discribed in the jeep literature I cannot find logic in jeeps position. I am continuing to complain in hopes that many voices will be heard. If not I will go to the State Attorney General alleging a "bait and switch" violation. Really don't want to have to do that, life is already to complicated.