Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• go_ducksgo_ducks Member Posts: 22
    Tom, I was at the grocery store yesterday at the checkout clerk told me the race was starting soon. I thought she meant some weird promotion thing and looked at her blankly. As a native-born North Carolinian, this state's greatest sports export ain't NASCAR. It's ACC basketball. So today, in honor of my undergrad alma mater who is taking on the Dukies, I am GO_PACK.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I'm with ya! Hope the Wolfpack beats Duke AND NC! Being a KY Wildcat fan, I am obligated to hate NC and Duke. :)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • greenmeaniegreenmeanie Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the advice. I do my homework and have no problem 'walking', it is really easy with email :) It is a little more difficult to research a 2003, as nobody is listing incentives that I can see. KBB invoice for the Jeep is $23726, I deducted the $2k rebate currently offered and $500 mil discount to get $21,226. Obviously, $20,002 is well below that number. I'm happy with the price, just wondering if others were seeing similar pricing on 2003s now. More interested in the braking/differential spec that comes with the 30" Canyon group if anyone can weigh in.

Ciao,

Thomas
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Had you a nice long reply typed, and then the power went off around here before I could post it! :(

I was gonna tell you that your deal could only be judged in relation to invoice, as go_ducks had already said. You have now posted that info, and it sounds like you are getting the Jeep for around $1200 below invoice, plus the $2K rebate and the $500 military rebate. That sounds pretty good to me, as long as you are happy with $1200 to $1400 savings compared to getting an 04. ( I think you could get an 04 for $200 over invoice.)

There were no significant improvements that I am aware of between 03 and 04, and you are getting a brand new Jeep either way. So, maybe that savings is worth it? Just be aware that if something happens that requires the insurance to pay off the total value, that figure is going to be less for an 03.

Man, sounds like a REAL nice Jeep, Thomas ( that your fist name or last name???). And what's an SSG? Staff Sargeant???

Hey, whatever branch of service you are in, and whatever your rank or duty, thanks for serving your country! We are VERY proud of you guys and gals!!!!!

Where is "home?" Guess it would be hoping for too much to think I might be getting a new wheelin' buddy here in western KY???

Don't know the answer to your brake question. I think you can still get disc brakes in the rear, but NOT ABS with the Dana 44. I think the disc brakes all around is a separate option and would not automatically be included in the 30" Tire and Wheel package.

Tom

P.S.

Just looked at your profile, and I see that Thomas is your first name, like me. We needed another Tom around here! :)

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I'm looking at the 2003 Wrangler catalog and notice the following notes on the options page.

1. ABS was not available with Dana 44

2. Trac Loc was a separate option regardless of differential. If yours has it, it will be a line item on the sticker and invoice. This option also would have required 4 wheel disc brakes if the Dana 44 and Trac Loc were ordered.

3. The 30" tire package included the Dana 44 and 3.73 if it is a 5-speed manual (which yours is).

The additional discount may be monies given back to the dealer for new, non-current year vehicles. This used to be in the range of 5% of the sticker amount. Which would be close to what you are seeing.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    I just saw a news article that the sticker is $24,495 (delivery included), with automatic the only trans available. The earlier articles had claimed the price would be "between" the Sport and the Rubi; this is within $600 of a Rubi. ABS is not available with the Dana rear axle.
        I'm a little taken back. I was looking for a practical, capable vehicle with stick and ABS and a "skotch more room". I might as well buy the base model if I can't get ABS, and save about $9G.
       I guess "Unlimited" referred more to the asking price than offroading uses. Anybody else think D/C is missing the mark?
    Greenie--I was a little thick before and didn't notice you were talking about a 2003 Wrangler rather than a 2004. Still sounds like a good deal if you plan on holding on to the vehicle, and you probably will. At 6 years and counting, I've never owned an automobile as long as this Jeep, and I plan on driving it into the ground, though it may eventually be lowered to weekend car status. One of the great things about Jeep Wranglers and CJs is that they age really well, not unlike sports cars, because of the fun-factor and classic styling. Taxes, registration fees and insurance will probably be cheaper on a new 2003 vs a 2004. If you like the color and options, the only downside is that a new 2003 vehicle has already taken a depreciation hit.
    I agree with go_ducks. If you think you are gonna keep that Jeep a LONG time, then that one year difference in model years becomes less and less of a factor.

Go for it!

Let us know how this turns out.

Are you going to wheel that Jeep? If so, where?

Tom

Yeah, it surprises me that you can only get an auto tranny in the Unlimited. Wonder why that is?

Hey, do you currently have a Jeep? What kind? Do ya wheel it?

I see you are from Illinois, according to your pdrofile, so maybe you would be interested in coming to Turkey Bay and wheelin' with me????

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Rubicon MSRP according DC is $26,680. Sport is $22,915. The 'X' is $20,930. Base model, the SE, is $17,835.

If the Unlimited is going to be $24,495, it does put it between the Rubicon and the Sport. All models have a $2000 rebate at the moment.

A couple more details. All models have a Dana axle, the difference is between a model 35 and a 44. The 44 is heavier duty and also has the option of disc brakes, and cannot be fitted with ABS.

The SE (base model) has a smaller engine (2.4), if it's a manual it has a lighter duty primary transmission, and it doesn't have the option of ABS even though it has the D35 axle.

You might do better looking at the 'X' model, which is similar to the Sport in build and available options, with the exception that the D44 is unavailable.

As to why the options you'd like aren't available, I've no idea! If it's anything like some of the big companies I've had dealings with, it's probably someone in high management trying to justify his/her position by making a decision that goes against the flow!

Or it could just be a shortage of components.

;--)
    Could it be that the longer wheelbase and the longer drivetrain associated with it be the reason for auto only? Maybe it was easier to use the auto for the longer wheelbase?

Tom

The longer the wheelbase the easier it it to fit any transmission!

If it were up to me ABS would be available on the D44, disc brakes would be available on the D35, and you'd be able to order a manual transmission on the Unlimited (and Aztec Gold would still be available!).

All the above can be achieved using standard components currently in production. However, it appears to be the job of the customer to hand over his/her money, and be grateful that DC offers any options at all.

:--(
    Inca Gold maybe? Or was there really an Aztec Gold color???

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep lately?
    Yes, you're right, it is (or was) Inca Gold on Wranglers. Aztec Gold is a DC color but ends up on vehicles like Cavaliers and PT Cruisers.

Not enough coffee I guess!

;--)
    Did you mean Caravans? Or, did you mean that Cavaliers really have DC paint on them? :)

Maybe a Cavalier that had been in an accident with an Aztec Gold PT Cruiser??? :)

This is FUN!

Tom

• chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    From what I can gather the reason for only have the auto and not all options is to get them off the line and into dealerships. The manual is going to be an option next year, and there are rumors of a Rubicon package Unlimited. As was said earlier ABS isn't available with the Dana44, I don't miss it on my Rubi. I've never driven a car with ABS that I liked, that's also why it's never been on one that I owned, must just be me.

Welcome to all the new comers.

Tony
    Guess I'm having a bad day here! Aztec Gold is a color name used by both Chrysler and Chevrolet, though I'm not sure if it's actually the same color. It's also been used on the Corvette if I remember correctly (which I may not!).

Now, which kind of flower was it you used to put your feet on?

:--)
    Really, Mac! How can you stoop SO LOW? :)

Tom

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    The auto trans is probably a mandatory option on the Unlimited because DC is committed to producing a set quantity of the autos and not enough are being ordered as options on the regular Wranglers.
  • tjmuddertjmudder Member Posts: 9
    According to a DC spokesman statement I read on Mikes Jeep news, chasingerica is correct. The Unlimited will be limited in options for the 2004 1/2 model, but by 2005 model there will be most options that are available on the the sport including 5 speed tranny. Should also have a lower base price. The article explains the reasoning for starting off with an automatic is because more new Wranglers are sold with autos than sticks. I know I'll be sniffing around the dealerships as soon as the Unlimited arrives (can't wait). I'll never give up my TJ,for wheeling, but the Unlimited will probably be my new family (boat towing) vehicle.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for all the good info. After my Focus, I wouldn't buy anything in the first year anyway. Let's hope the UL catches on and they offer more choices. Mac, I agree about needing another color on the palette, whatever they choose to call it.
    Is there talk of a major redesign for the TJ coming up?
    Hey y'all. Thanks for all the input. I was hoping to get limited slip but don't really know if it is necessary. I haven't had it yet in a truck and gotten by, then again I have seen a little snow or mud sap power to one spinning wheel. I have done a lot of 4x4 on patrols here in Eastern Afghanistan mountains and desert country, usually in a Toyota 4dr Hilux diesel pickup. Maybe there will be a Jamboree here someday when we are finished cleaning up ;) There is some awsome country out here for 4x4, but it eats trucks up.

Regarding 2003 vs 2004, I am planning on keeping the beast for a long time and want to get the most for my budget, so it would be the 2003 Sport or a 2004 X. It will be my daily driver (when not on the Motorycle) The same dealer has offered me a screamin' deal on a X custom order too which will save me $ and get me trac-loc and ABS (ABS has saved my [non-permissible content removed] a couple times), but I can't get the bigger wheels/axles and some of the 'luxury' stuff. Most of my driving will be on road but I still want to 'get off' when I can. It's a tossup, Hmm..anyone care to offer up insight in the trac-loc + ABS vs big wheels/axles for on and off roading decision?

It's funny, my first experience driving a Jeep was an Army Jeep in Germany and the drive shaft broke. We were expecting the new Hummers and I think it had been a bit neglected. I hope to have better luck this go around.

TsJay - Thanks for your sentiments, we never get tired of support from home. Yep I'm a Staff Sergeant. I'm from MN but you never know if I'm at Campbell or Bragg sometime maybe we could meet 4 sum wheelin'. I am planning a trip west with friends for some MTN Biking and 4x4 exploring this summer and am pumped up to be Jeepin!!

Ciao

Thomas
    "Hmm..anyone care to offer up insight in the trac-loc + ABS vs big wheels/axles for on and off roading decision?"

I'll venture my opinion, which is worth every cent you paid for it.

First, I should state that contrary to many, I think that ABS is a good thing, and that the D35 isn't as weak as most people like to believe.

I would consider the 'Super 35' kit from Superior Axle. This kit consists of stronger axle shafts with an increased spline count, plus a locker.......either a Detroit Softlocker or an ARB (without the compressor). These kits can be bought for about $850 and $975 respectively. The strength is brought up to at least that of a D44 and the only breakages I've heard of have been in competition. There is also a similar kit out there called the Yukon.

That way you can get your great deal on the 'X', even better if you drop the Trac Lok, and have a significantly upgraded rear axle complete with a heavy duty locker.
    Here's where my distinguished colleague and I disagree. Mac is a big believer in ABS, and from his personal experience, he has reason to be. Sounds like the same holds true for you, especially being from MN, where it is know to snow once in a while. :)

I would point you toward the Dana 44 axle, which means no ABS. I feel that the stronger axle is more important than having ABS. Now, that is assuming that you would want a locker and big tires in the future and that you are going to be pretty serious in your offroading.

See, that's the whole thing... what are you going to do with the Jeep? I can see where ABS might be pretty nice up there in MN, and as far as a locker, man, you know how those things are in snow! Would make the Jeep even more squirrelly than it would be to start with.

So, it really is something that you have to decide for yourself, Sarge. It's a shame that you have to pick between ABS and a Dana 44. BOTH can be VERY important.

Come home safe, get your Jeep, and get your butt down here to wheel with me!

Oh, if you are from the MSP area, I might be able to hook you up with a Jeep Buddy who is a super good mechanic and knows how to do just about anything a Jeep might need, including setting gears.

Tom

P.S.

You only come here as a stranger once, so you are part of our family now. It's great having you with us, Sarge. Now, let us know if there is anything we can do to help ya out while you are over there. Tell your Buds in your unit that we appreciate them too.
    Sure, update your profile, or just look up my email and email me, if you want to.

Tom

• borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is this what you're looking for? Jeep Wrangler: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

tidester, host
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I go away for a 3 day weekend and all kinds of things happen here!

Welcome, Thomas in Afganistan! Anyone who leaves home at a moment's notice to go half way around the world and defend us all has my admiration.

If you want another opinion on the D35 with ABS vs. D44 - it does depend on what you want to do with your Jeep. I do some off-roading but not real hard-core stuff. My stock Sport does everything I want and I don't feel a need for extra strength of the D44. So for me I'd be happier with the ABS (which I don't have on either of my vehicles). After having locked up the brakes on the Taco once (on a dry freeway) I want ABS on my next commuter type vehicle.

I know what you mean about having your first Jeep experience with one that is OD green - though mine wasn't so eventful. Being as little as I am my biggest problem was starting it - my feet are barely big enough to reach both the starter and the clutch!

Last thing - I have a '98 Wrangler Sport that I bought new. I love it and am planning on keeping it for another 100,000 miles (it has over 116,000 on the odometer now). I would have been very happy to buy a previous year for so much less, even knowing that it was a year old. Because by now that year doesn't matter much.

However, I have a 2000 Tacoma that I hate, and have since about a month after we bought it. It was a 2000 purchased in Sept. after the 2001 models were out. While I got a reasonable deal, I'm still on the wrong side of the note. I had purchased it with plans to keep it for 5 or more years (was going to replace the Wrangler first), so I didn't mind. However, I really hate it but can't afford to dump it. Are you sure I couldn't interest you in an overpriced Tacoma (giggle, giggle)?
    Mtngal: I think you should sound a little happier about that great Taco :) You know a year ago or so a Taco was in the running for my new car. Kinda glad that it turned into Amy. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Green: I'm with Gal, if you plan on keep it get either year. I've got an '04 Rubicon that I plan on keeping until she falls apart.... Well then I'll just buy the parts and put her back together :) That's part of the beauty of the Jeep, you can never say that you can't find parts to fix it. If you like the options on the '04 X then you can always add the larger tires later, and beef up the axle like everyone said. Go with what makes you happy.

Tony
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    lol. Before I got Buffy I too was thinking of either getting a Taco, or an Xterra. I'm very glad that I ended up with the Rubi though! Finally took her out on the highway over the weekend - felt pretty good. Definitely not a vehicle you can just about fall asleep in (like the t-bird), which is just as well as I'd rather stay alert!

Andrew
    I agree with the not being able to fall asleep thoughts. But that helps me out a lot. Working in a bar I get off around 3am, used to almost fall asleep every night, now I'm WIDE awake the whole ride home. Guess that's not important to some but it's a nice "feature". I must admit though that it is damn comfortable to drive.

Tony
  • tjcjtjcj Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to chime in and say you got a pretty good deal. I just picked up an '03 sport last month w/auto, d44, soft top, and all the fancy gadgets (cruise, dimming mirror, 7 speaker cd, etc) for $20,000 + tax....I was looking at an X with less options at the same price range with the $2,000 rebate, so I think I got a decent deal. The color (Khaki) wasnt exactly what I wanted, but I've grown to like it ;)

-CJ
    Guys & Gals

Thanks for all the input. I had actually replied once, but have been informed that I (innocently) violated policy so it was pulled. You have a great list here and I don't want to subvert it. My apologies.

I have decided to go with an X in order to get the ABS and Trac-Loc (sounds like a rap star). I am working the deal now and will post how it plays out. The X makes a good base for upgrading if I get crazy about the Offroad bug. Plus this way I can get Solar Yellow, I love the way it contrasts with the black trim. It also leaves me some $ to play with for goodies for the Jeep and a new Harley Sportser 1200 I am picking up!

mtngal, thanks for your support, and for the Toyota offer ;) all I drive here is toyota and they seem like good trucks. Sorry it isn't working for you.

Cheers!

Thomas
    I though you might get in a little trouble for your potty mouth. :)

I guess you got in trouble for posting that link too? Edmunds is somewhat protective of their turf to say the least.

Glad you took your scolding in stride and stayed with us. I have had a few of my posts deleted around here, and that's for sure.

That decision to go X might make more sense in your situation. I can see the need for both ABS and Trac Loc up there in the frozen north.

Tom

I've had both of those options on my '98 and it handles great in the snow, though I don't think I've ever activated the ABS; I don't ever recall having slammed on the brakes with this Jeep in 6 years of ownership. The traction is certainly good in 4wd with the trac-loc. I drove through the Oregon Cascades constantly in the winter, and if ever there's a place that gets snow that would be it. Just remember you can't brake as quickly as you can accelerate.

The hard top is also nice in a place where snowfall can be measured in feet-per-day. I remember a big "snow bomb" sliding off the top of a Douglas fir and onto the roof of the Jeep with a big WHUMP sound once, somewhere near Santiam pass. My friend looked at me and said "glad we have a hard top on there." No kidding. It would have probably caved in the roof of my old soft-top equipped YJ.
    I've tried searching past posts but it won't work for my sloooow internet. I'm considering using the addatrunk to store audio components such as a sirius tuner, amp et. I'd mount them to a plywood base in the trunk and then a put a false bottom above. Then it would be out of sight. Anybody tried anything like that? I'd like to put in a sub somewhere too, any suggestions? Or do most find the dash/soundbar speaker locations offer adequate sound (I'd upgrade the factory speakers)

Thanks,

Thomas
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've tried searching past posts but it won't work for my sloooow internet.

Are you paging back by hand or are you using the Search/Advanced Search feature available in the left column of this page? The speed of your internet connection should have little effect on the latter.

tidester, host
    I have the upgraded 7 speaker stereo and it's not too bad. Doesn't really compare to the 2 12" subs and 300W amp I had in my old car but it's not too bad. No I'm not a bass head I just like to able to drive open air and hear my music. Most people say that with the top down/off the stock stereo is a little weak. I haven't had the chance to get the top down yet but that's not too far off now.

I think that your idea for the ad-a-trunk as a place to store equipment is a good idea. As for a sub you could always use the factory location in the center console, or even the ad-a-trunk. As for me if I ever get the bug to upgrade everything I'm just going to replace everything in the stock locations.

Tony
    Thought I'd toss my own $0.02 in. I think that ABS is great (had it on the t-bird), but apparently you can stop just as quickly modulating the brakes yourself (as long as you don't panic and just mash the pedal). While I haven't done any serious off-roading, the scoop appears to be that sometimes you want to be able to lock the tires for a little slip.

The upgraded stereo is decent. Still factory so you don't have to worry about theft but with decent enough sound (I'm no audiophile). Haven't had the opportunity to drive with the top off yet... probably have another 3 months or so before I do that!!

Andrew
  • wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    I have the Pioneer "Chrysler-sized" head unit and I recently installed an 8" sub in the center console of my '01 Wrangler Sport- it wasn't equipped with the factory 6.5"- but a few holes later, it fits great. i mounted the amp under the driver's seat- but it is a little tight clearing the seat mechanicals.

measure twice, drill/cut once.

-Bill
    I don't like ABS- in anything.

In my own opinion- Some situations, like glare ice it may be beneficial; but in snow or dirt you can lock up the tires enough to get some loose material in front of the tire and slow you down.

-Bill
    "...... but apparently you can stop just as quickly modulating the brakes yourself ........"

Yes and no. The prime function of ABS is to allow you to steer while applying maximum braking effort. If your wheels are locked you can't steer, period. It is not designed to reduce the stopping distance on a dry surface.

ABS is able to read wheel speed. It can compare wheel speeds and it can tell if one or more wheels are about to lock. It can control wheel speeds individually (on a Wrangler, the fronts individually, the rears together) to prevent the wheels either locking or pulling to one side. It does this by modulation the brake line pressure to the individual brakes, many many times a second.

A skilled driver can modulate the brakes maybe two or three times a second. He/she doesn't know which wheels are about to lock, nor know how their rotational speeds compare to each other, and if it was known it wouldn't matter. All that can be done is to stamp up and down on the pedal. Better than standing hard on it, but nothing like the control that ABS gives you.

The occasions when ABS is a hinderance are usually when the traction of a surface can be improved by breaking it up and piling it up in a wedge in front of the wheel. These circumstances are almost exclusively met offroad. On an ABS equipped Wrangler, the ABS can be disconnected in a couple of seconds by pulling the appropriate relay.
    I ordered my X! Just the way I wanted it for $180 over edmunds invoice. Sweeet. The sales guy, David Chase at Bloomington (Minnesota) Chrysler Jeep web sales was a treat to deal with, just gave me rock bottom pricing on both the 2003 Sport and the X from the start with no haggle. I highly recommend him to any MN buyers.

Final Spec: solar yellow w/blk soft top, dark grey cloth interior, ABS, trac-loc, AC, full face T&W grp, lthr steering wheel w/cruise, convenience grp, deep tint, full doors, add a trunk, tow hooks, block htr, floor mats... $19,212 + tax & lic.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Thomas
    I was able to get the search working later, when your internet is via satellite, it can be hit or miss especially when there is weather. I just consider myself extremely fortunate to have any internet in a war zone.

I see Crutchfield is throwing in a free Sirius tuner with purchase of certain head units and a Terk Sirius Antennae. I've been wanting to give Satellite Radio a try, it looks like now is the time.

wildbl1500- I like your idea, I was considering a small bazooka tube but the center console is much more stealth. Thanks! Did you have to make any brackets or mods besides drilling a couple holes?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm surprised how many people considered Tacomas before they bought their Wranglers. You all made a great choice - the Wrangler seats are far more comfortable for drives of any distance (including my commute!). My Taco is 2WD and a 4 banger so gets much better mileage than my Wrangler.

Glen - I heard that report on KNX - did not make me happy. Especially since every time they put something like that on the radio our 2 cheaper gas stations raise their prices. Arco was $1.77 this morning and I'm sure it will be something over $1.80 tonight when I go home.

mac - thanks for the info on ABS. The time I did lock up my brakes (on the Taco) I felt the back end start to slide out (of course, toward traffic). I let up on the brakes as soon as I felt it and it straightened out, but it definitely scared me.

Thomas - I'm not a fan of the add a trunk - they are small and I usually have the back seat out (used to haul my 4 legged hiking buddy all the time). However, it sounds great for your needs, though there won't be all that much room for anything else (as I recall). I like the Solar Yellow with the black top - even my other half thinks it looks really sharp (he's not usually a fan of brightly colored vehicles). It sounds like you will have a nice rig when you get back here.
    Mac,

I totally agree that a driver, no matter how talented, won't be able to modulate the brakes as quickly as a ABS system. At the same time, having driven vehicles with and without ABS, in some pretty icy conditions, I can't say I'd advocate one over the other. Last year I went through an intersection that had ice as smooth as a skating rink, the ABS did absolutely nothing (either for steering, or braking). To be fair though, not sure if anything would have helped in that particular situation...

Obviously ABS has its advocates, not to mention a slew of studies that support it. Obviously there has to be a reason for that. I'm just as happy without it though...

Andrew
    Sounds like you got a nice Jeep and a good price. I'm not sure about Sirius satellite Radio, I know that XM is great though. If they are giving it away for free then it might not be that bad of a deal, you'll still have the monthly fee. As for the Bazooka tube in the console I don't think it would fit. They are small but I don't think they are that small.

Tony
    Thomas,

There were 3 holes in the side of the console (and a grill) for the available OEM 6.5" Sub. I used 2 of their holes, and drilled one of my own to accomodate the 8". I did remove the white plastic inner-liner of the console to make room for my CB previously- I think a small tray is available to seal up the whole space- as if the factory Sub was in there. By the time you pick up your Wrangler, I should have gained access to a digital camera and can get you some pics of my install.

-Bill
    WAY TO GO! CONGRATULATIONS on that factory order!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, bet ya can't wait til that puppy comes in. Will you get home before the Jeep does?

Tom

• borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
    Hope I'm back on the right message board. A week ago I drove a new Rubicon and it had such a bad shutter, I took it back. Dealer found out it had a bad front axel and back axel. He said he would not sell it to me and it probably would go back to Chrysler. Next day he sold me a black 04 Rubicon. Its now a week old and 250 miles on it. I've owned Jeep Wranglers since 86 and this is the best so far. Last one I had was a 93 Renegade. List price on Rubi was 30260 and with rebate 0f 2000 plus 500 military rebate, after dealer discount at his invoice and threw in 1/2 of his holdback, I paid just under 25000 and got the 48 month interest financing. I liked the ride of the Rubicon over the Sport and of course the tough tires and wheels, I just had to have a Rubi.