Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• new_jeepienew_jeepie Member Posts: 59
    Hi,

Out of curiosity, did anybody switch to an aftermarket radio with new amps or speakers. I wanted to know if you faced any problems. I plan to make the switch sometime this summer.

Happy Holidays and Best for now. :)
  • firsttimejeepfirsttimejeep Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Laredo, 6 cyl. with the 26X package in Mineral Grey. Have only had it slightly over a week and have 300 miles on it, but I just love it. Am getting 18MPG plus around town and the vehichle is solid as a rock. Previous vehichle was a BMW X5 (I've had two of them) but the Jeep beats it hands down. Smoother ride and handling is every bit as good. The more I drive the V6 the more I like it. Fit and finish are first rate.
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    Congrats on your new JGC. I'd like to know what they gave you for the on/off road tires. You're the first person that has said they received the correct tire for the Adventure ll pkg. Everyone else got the Latitude All Season radials.

Enjoy your jeep, mine's a real pleasure to drive... just hit 5m tbis weekend.
  • dewarsandsodadewarsandsoda Member Posts: 207
    Any recommendations on where to source aftermarket running boards for a 2011 GC Ltd that are functional, attractive, and economical? Websites online? Particular auto parts stores? Any recommended brands?
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

Just Goggle jeep off road parts and the first page has the best selection of websites.

Best for now. :)
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

I went to the New York Auto Show armed with 20+ pages of excerpts from the forum straight to Chrysler's both. Unfortunately, nobody was their on the day I went from the top corporate level which I figured on because my feeling was they were their for the press day only.

However, I did speak to the most senior supervisor their and his direction was to again start with the dealership's service manager who has to fill out all the paperwork and then submit to the corporate level for the case number which should be the Quality Division. Which means to mean if the dealership does not follow protocol, then you have to speak to customer service and complain about the dealership and the tires. Is this going to get this On/Off Road Tire misrepresentation by Chrysler settled? I do not know, but the folks at the Chrysler both did look at the excerpts.

After looking over various other SUV's at the show, I am convinced that the right decision was to purchase the JGC.

• joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    Just returned from my first long trip (600 miles) with my JGC Hemi which now has about 1300 miles on it. I got 20.7 MPG highway driving through hilly terrain in PA (using 89 Octane). The computer generated MPG was very close to my manually calculated MPG. Hope I can gain a mile or two MPG when the car breaks in more. I am getting 12-13 MPG in pure city stop and go driving,

It was a pleasure to drive. The ride was smooth and felt secure. This JGC is tight.

One really nice feature is the lumbar support for the driver. You can not only adjust the support "in and out", but also "up and down." So you can really pinpont the support where needed, which will vary by individual. I never experienced a lumbar support system with this versatility. It really helped since my back was not good after a Holiday of too much sitting and too much eating.
  • katjeep11katjeep11 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - V6. The same day I bought the car, I realized that I had been given a faulty key. The remote start would work but then I was unable to get inside my car. I immediately returned the car and keys to the dealership and long story short it took 3 visits to get the second key to work. They had to order a part and take the entire dashboard off. The car didn't even have 10 miles on it when I bought it. That was back in October and now I'm having problems with the original working key not unlocking the door and then once the handle allow the door to unlock, the "key is not detected" so the car will not start. Is ANYONE else having problems with this?? The dealership claims that I am "THE ONLY" one they have had with this issue. HELP!

I'm also having issues with the radio presets not working. Radio stations are programmed and I can see them but the soft button on the steering wheel seems to make the radio jump around and not "land" on the radio presets.

I read a post somewhere about acceleration issues with the V-6. I do not believe that I have the hill assist option. Are there any other suggestions on fixing this issue? I wasn't sure if it was just operator error or actually a problem.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    The lumbar support was one of the main selling features for me. I was impressed on how the drivers seat as well as the passenger's had all of the same functions. I have major back issues and I have been very pleased with the lumbar support. I test drove the 2011 jeep grand cherokee, ford edge and lincoln MKX. Jeep beat them all.
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

The hill assist is located in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) – If Equipped on the Limited, which it should be. Make sure the car is in park or the system setup menu where hill assist is located will not engage. Use the below link to get to the tips section for Jeep Owners:

link title

Follow the instructions and look at the video at the end of the page. If you also have the sports mode with the Selec-Terrain, and the auto stick for shifting will help. Check with the dealer, you should have some updates to software. Ask for the RRT. I also have the V6 and another forum member gave us the tip on the hill assist.

It is not uncommon to buy a vehicle from one dealer and get it service at another dealership. You can speak to Jeep customer service (they are very helpful in this area) and they will located a dealership to meet your needs.

You might want to re-scan some of the posts here to get other helpful tips and
    explanations.

• usafausafa Member Posts: 7
    Apologies, I mis-typed. After looking at the tires in greater detail, I too did receive the Latitude All Season Radials.

My dealer has put me in touch with a Chrysler representative to discuss. I received a voicemail last night from the rep, in which he told me Chrysler views these tires as predominately a road tire, with some off-road capabilities. He offered to get me in touch with a Chrysler engineer to understand why they chose that tire.

I have yet to call him back to discuss further.
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

At the auto show, this is exactly what the jeep folks told me at the off-road demonstration ride. This ride did not have any simulated mud, gravel or water crossings, they use too. Therefore, as I said before, any decent highway tire will work with the Jeep 4x4 in extremely lite off-road conditions. They might as well just kept 20" GY Fortera on or just designed it with for an 18" highway tire and let us decide which all terrain to purchase.

As I said in my post # 286 in reply to post #282: The problem starts with the tread depth being shallow at 10/32. The tire has no proper evacuation for water in the 5 rib tread design. The tire is venerable to getting clog with stones and other matter since the gap is small. With all that said, the sidewall does not have any chance to be effective. Which means for the driver who sticks to the street and highway, problems will develop for them in variable snow conditions and heavy driven rain in the loss of proper traction. This was reported by some in the Latitude's reviews at Tirerack. The forum member in post #282 is one of the reviewers in Tirerack.

Now it sounds like Chrysler is starting to change the tune to a defensive one with that statement. I sure they can make a deal with Michelin to recall the tire and reissue the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A due on May 1st. (Too recap: Michelin brought out BF Goodrich a few years ago to gain access to the off road technology.) Two major magazines, Off-Road & Peterson's 4Wheeler gave them very good reviews. At least with this tire there will not be a misrepresentation.

Please let us know the results of your conversation with Jeep. Best for now. :)
  • pkmakpkmak Member Posts: 5
    I am new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee owner, just picked the truck up this tuesday 4/19/11. I was also suprised and disappointed with the tires that it came with. Clearly the window sticker states On/Off Road Tires.
    I called Chrysler up and filed a complaint. A few hours later some guy calls back and I explained that these were touring tires that are on the vehicle. He said that does not sound right. I told him for a truck that is Trail Rated and states on/off road tires that these are touring. He said my Rep would call me the next day. So far no call back, but it was good friday. I will give them to monday and than call them again.
    I spoke with my dealer who said thats not right and Chrysler should send me out new tires.
    The funny thing is yesterday at work a co worker went up to look at the new truck and the first thing he noticed and said was " Hey why did they put street tires on this thing"
    If anyone has any luck please post on here, I am wondering if Chrysler will do the right thing or not.
    Hi,

Congratulations on your JGC, you will find this is a truly great Jeep.

Make sure that you indeed have the Michelin Latitude tires and have your dealership service manager send in all the paperwork to Chrysler. As far I know Chrysler has not done everything and my case is still pending. It seems that Chrysler is now on the defense and justifying the decision to use the Latitude. The pressure is on and must stay on them. I am in the process of writing a letter with excerpts from the forum.

Please let us know of your outcome. Best for now.
    I called Chrysler today and was told the reason they have not called me back was they are waiting to hear from the service manager at my dealership and that my rep is working on my case what ever that means.
    I had friends of mine look at the tires and say these are definitley not on/off road tires that they are all season basic tires. My main concern is with winter driving in the snow. They do not look like they will get you through 4-8 inches of snow thats for sure the treads are just not there to handle anything other than dry street driving.
    I have been looking at all the reviews for Michelin Latitude Tour tires and they are horrible in snow condition. If we had a true On/Off road tire aka All Terrain than that would be alot better for snow and mud.
    Just got off the phone with a Michelin rep and he stated why would they put that tire on that truck, he said the Michelin Tour is good if you are driving on a flat gravel road other than that he said the tires are not made for off roading.
    He did say its a great all season higway tire for noise and comfort, but not made for any other type of driving.
  • bill328bill328 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, if you read on Michelin Latitude tour on their website, they are essentially described as an all season tire, not an on/off road tire as Jeep advertises the "Off road adventure package II".

Jeep Customer service has been a dead end so far for me. They are unwilling to speak to the contradiction; only saying that those are the correct tires for the Grand Cherokee as an "SUV".

I'd love to see Jeep answer to a class action suit on this!
    The rep from Chrysler finally called me and stated that these are the factory tires that come with the truck. I told her that they are all season touring and that Michelin states they are not on/off road tires. The rep said I am sorry but there is nothing I can do, I can give you free oil change if you like. I replied no thank you, you can keep your free oil change and that I want for the record that this will be my first and last Chrysler product and that I am leasing and in a few years will be bring my business to another company.
    It amazes me that Chrysler would include these Touring tires in the off road package. I do not have this package and love my JGC, but I feel bad for those who bought this package. What was Chrysler thinking? Why should they design this pretty darn good JEEP then knowingly offer such a deficient tire in this package. I hope you all follow through and finally get what you paid for!
    edited April 2011
    Hi,

Did the service manger of the dealership submit the paperwork to the quality control division of Chrysler? This is what I was instructed to do at the NY Auto Show this week. Make sure that you receive hardcopy of all paperwork and replies.

I know this is extremely bad policy from a company that needed the taxpayers help to survive by getting hooked up with Fiat. This is one area that Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat has let me down with. I am in the middle of writing the letter (the excerpts will be updated and included) and I need to have somebody review it in order to be effective. The misrepresentation by Jeep on the website and the vehicle sticker does indeed make them look arrogant, especially after that justification of usage (the correct tire) to a another forum member today.

I noticed at the show, Chrysler was doing their best to persuade the public that they are back. Now they have to acknowledge this error and show the public they can remedy this. This reminders me of the episode with the Ford Explorer and Firestone tires. Let us see in the month of May if they reverse themselves now that Michelin has a tire that is on/off road all terrain from the BF Goodrich division.

As many other JGC forum members have stated about the vehicle, many of us including myself love the vehicle.

The Chrysler rep spoke with the service manager over the phone, he did not submit any paper work. I never spoke to the service manager. I did speak with the general manager of the dealership and he stated its Chrysler problem, so now there is not much I can do after speaking with the rep.
    In previous posts, I indicated my 730N media center has a sticker price of $305. while other owners indicated a sticker price of $465. I assumed that the difference was due to the fact that MP3 was not listed as one of the components of the 730N media center on the car sticker. But, I discovered that my system can indeed play MP3 formats, including IPOD and IPHONE! So, again I don't know why my system listed for $305. while others listed for $465.? I am not complaining, but again Chrysler seems to be a little mysterious in the options they are offering, in addition to the off road tire issue!
  • gstephen1978gstephen1978 Member Posts: 4
    I bought the new 2011 grand cherokee laredo in Qatar. I loved the ride until my 10000 km service that the vehicle started getting heated up, just on the way back from the Jeep service station. When i opened the hood the whole radiator was empty and there was no coolant at all. if i wouldnt have noticed it then and there i would have got my engined seized. I went to the dealer and complaint about this and they took it to the service center and they found out no problems, no leak, no block, simply nothing at all. Now they again refilled the coolant, I am able to drive ok, but again last week i had the same issue again my car getting heated up for no reason, later i came to know there were 2 more of the JGC overland which came up with the same problems, but still they dont know how to rectify? Has any one expereinced this kinda porblem, even the Jeep is not pushing a lot once i throtle up, i need to press the gas a lot for the car to move a bit fast, otherwise it keeps dragging. unfortunately there is nothing the jeep dealers can do about this, Kindly advise what i should do as my car is new and still under warranty have only done 10,000 kms. Please advise.
    Hi,

I would right now open the hood and check the oil to make sure the coolant did not leak into engine. If the oil color or smell is not right and the coolant is gone again, have the GC towed to the dealership service center. Remember, the coolant system is a closed loop. Also, when they checked for leaks, did they pressurize the system to determine if any leaks occurred?

If you have the V6, see my post # 326 regarding turning off the hill assist function and for better performance.

• bikerjenbikerjen Member Posts: 4
    If you're still having issues with Key Not Detected. Tell them you want the Wireless Ignition Module replaced. Per the Chrysler rep who helped me when my JGC wouldn't start or recognize the keys etc, the Jeep telling you key not detected is an indication that the WIM is going bad. I had the original one replaced and that one was damaged upon receipt at the dealership, so I'm actually on the 3rd one.
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    So, all of a sudden yesterday, my phone is not connecting to the Uconnect in my 2011 Jeep GC. I thought maybe it was my phone as my daughter dropped it yesterday. I thought I would try and pair the phone again, but if I hit the "phone" or "VR" butons in the car, the screen shows "uconnect not available".

Anyone else experience this? Unless I figure something out, I am going to make a trip to the dealer this week.
  • michaelbehrmichaelbehr Member Posts: 3
    I had the same exact problem back in September after I bought mine. 3 trips, new key, etc etc. Finally the replaced the wireless module but left my passive entry disabled. Then another trip to get a flash update. All was well until my last service where they told me I got another flash update for the drivetrain. Then the Jeep intermittenly started telling me key not detected which when you would unlock and lock the doors with the key it would then start. Then last night it would not start at all and I needed to get a ride home because now both of my Dodge's were out of commission. They only thing I can think is that a combination of the flash a few weeks ago and not for the first time probably ever having both of the keys in the Jeep at the same time... What a major pain in the rear-end.
  • 3xjeep3xjeep Member Posts: 11
    I have just completed my first longer trip (all on the freeway and with the AC on) a round trip of 196 miles averaged 24.6 miles per gal running between 60 to 65 MPH and around 5 to 6 miles at 70. Vehicle has now got a total 1247 miles on the clock..........I'm very pleased with this result on my Overland V6. :) The rest of the miles have been around town and I have been getting 17.5 to 19.1
    So, from what I've seen on this forum, and from my own experience, the Hemi seems to get about 3-4 MPG less than the V6.
    Has anyone purchased a hood bug/stone deflector for their 2011 JGC? MOPAR said this part (in dark tint) will not be available until June. Has anyone purchased a different brand, and how easy was it to put on?
  • kirmankirman Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and the same key issue. I have had three keys and a new wireless controller. My jeep has left me stranded 4 times. Once I was 100 miles from my second key. Now I don't leave home without both key fobs. The dealer claims I have only had two repairs instead of 4 and Jeep says this is a problem they have never heard of. Odd how there is a 3 month back order for keys and wireless control modules when they are having no problems. I applied for lemon law reimbursement and JEEP is fighting me. I also had a defective windshield that was replaced with another defective windshield. There are about 30 scratches on the vinyl layer between the glass layers. My 7th new jeep and it's going to be my last.
  • gstephen1978gstephen1978 Member Posts: 4
    Hi ,

I am still having the same problem. even if I am inside the car with the key, its shows on the screen, key not detected, it even gets difficult to start the engine as it shows the same error, i tried my spare key, then it works perfectly, now that I have given my 2 keys and my car to Jeep to re program the both. hope when i get it back i don't have that issues any more. I even have problems of getting my car heated up, but again when i took my car to Jeep , they say they have not find any problems like this before. they told to leave the car, they are still trying to find the problem why my JGC 2011 is getting heated up, but still cant find why? Seriously speaking its time for Jeep to re call these cars and fix it, otherwise i love my GC.
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    Took the JGC in to the dealer yesterday. They "reset" the radio/nav/unconnect. They said that they can do that when they attach it to their computer. (I don't see any sort of "reset" button.)

They also said there is a software update for the nav/radio/uconnect available from Chrysler. They had to order it as it is on disc.

Hopefully no more problems. Everything working again for now.
    Dealer replaced batteries in the key fobs. All is fine for 2 days. Then day 3 Jeep won't start. Had it towed to a different dealer. This dealer found RRT 11-038 which is a flash update to the ECM and PCM. We will see if that works this time.
  • macemmittmacemmitt Member Posts: 1
    I'm an x-radar tech with Navy, so my explanation reflects what the Jeep tech and I discussed. My problem was that the push button would not turn off the vehicle. Gripe was verified and duplicated when I arrived at the dealership. First step was to verify key code to the key itself. The Jeep tech brought out a transmission box, about the size of a box of wooden matches, it was yellowing orange with multiple vertical lights. The key passed the test for transmission and for code recognition as per "pinn".
    The push button itself is a quick disconnect. Beneath is a set of contacts and another button which is housed inside the remote ignition module. On the other side of the remote ignition module is quick disconnect plug. The technician pulled the plug off to stop the car.
    Warning!!! Do this only at the dealership because if you attempt to pull circuit breakers, fuses or the plug from the remote ignition module, the anti-theft security protocol will "sterilize" any existing memory and will go into "default" as if it left the factory.
    The problem here are two competing CPU's and proprietary input qualifiers. Both the remote start ignition, whether its wireless or push button, the ignition module registers, initiates and monitors a small portion of systems where the main CPU monitors everything. This is great for anti-theft but in the normal operation of the vehicle, there is a distinct hesitation when both CPU's fight for control or release control over the transmission, all electrical controls, engine throttle control, etc, etc and etc.
    The maintenance supervisor put the push button on order, but we learned that the button itself was on "back order". Obviously, there's a bigger issue here than Jeep is letting on. The next issue was the remote Ignition module. There's a distinct possibility that if the button malfunctioned, or "shorted" or "open" which prevented the car from shutting off, the remote ignition module might be bad. Obviously, if the remote ignition module controls some of the same systems as the main CPU, then there might be some system failure, but you won't know until you put the Jeep through all its paces and test every system.
    Jeep has a master control computerized diagnostic unit which analyzes both the CPU and remote ignition module. Theoretically, this is warranty work. The Jeep MUST BE PUT ON THE DIAGNOSTIC machine to test all inputs, outputs and critical systems to ensure the CPU and remote ignition module are functional.
    I hope this helps'
    MacEmmitt
    Being an ex-IT guy, your explanation makes alot of sense and I will share it with the dealer (who still has my Jeep). Interestingly enough Chrysler from the Detroit "home office" called me and told me that the dealership is misdiagnosing the problem and the real problem is the "WIN MODULE" and further said that "we are having alot of problems with the WIN Module in the newer vehicles" and he said he would call the Dealership and let them know (which he didn't). So I told the dealership this and they laughed because the WIN module has already been replaced. With doing nothing, they said it is working fine but it did "stutter start" first. I told them to give the Jeep to a good technician and have him drive it until it fails.
    My JGC is now about 8 months old, less than 9500 miles. Already battled the WIM problem, now my newest delimma for which the Jeep has been in the dealership's shop for 4 days is that the AC blows cold air on drivers side and in the rear vents, but on the passenger side blows heat. Seemed to me that it was a problem with the recirculate button or the controller on that side. It took the dealer at least a day to "duplicate" the problem, now it's been another day with no answer or explanation as to the cause. :mad:
  • kimbo67kimbo67 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Oh my gosh, I have had my jeep only 3 months - brand new and it's been in the shop 15 days now for the same issue - left me stranded 2x and they won't declare it a lemon. What the heck - I don't want the stupid car anymore. This is horrible - I'm sick over the whole thing.
  • jreworldjreworld Member Posts: 3
    Check the lemon law in your state. In CA, I think it must me in the shop for 30 days within an 18 month period, and not necessarily consecutive. I've met half of that criteria. As soon as it it meets the rest which I'm sure it will, I will get rid of it. Get yourself a lemon law lawyer, don't count on the manufacturer. Again, in CA there is a provision in the lemon law that the lawyer will not cost you anything, the manufacturer will. Good luck.
  • grimsby1grimsby1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi does anyone know if these key issues have been resolved at the factory level. I have a new JGC Overland on order with a build date for late this month. Does anyone know if these problems are occuring on recent builds or older models?
    When mine did it (Oct 2010) it was an "unknown new" issue to them... I bought mine in August 2010 if that helps.
    My JGC Overland was built in February and I don't seem to have any key problems.

By the way, I just bought Bridgestone Blizzack DMV1 winter tires and wheels (20") from Tire Rack. I figured I would get them early while what I want is in stock.
    Thanks I take delivery in June sometime. I will come back with updates.
    Would that require the dashboard being removed? If thats the case, then they've already done that. It just depends on the day if the key wants to be "detected" or not. If it happens again, I will take it in and ask about the WIM. Thank you so much for your help!
    Do you continue to be told by the dealer that "no one else seems to be having a problem?" I think its ridiculous that its a brand new car and the dealership seems to think its my problem that I can't use all of the functions the car was suppose to do. Not detecting a key is a pretty big deal.
    I'm not sure when mine was built. How do you know that? I purchased it in mid October 2010. There were only 3 miles on it. So I'm assuming it was built around that time. I hope they have resolved the issue and will have a fix the next time it happens. Its very frustrating.
    Yes, the dashboard has to come out. My uncle was my mechanic for the WIM problem as it was towed to the closest dealer not the one I purchased it from.

When I spoke with Chrysler rep (they called me) over the WIM, the guy told me that the not detected was the first indication that the part was going bad.

My A/C problem is being dealt with by the dealer where I purchased the Jeep. I've already emailed a complaint to Chrysler, I'm not holding my breath on hearing back from them.
    The dealer receives the date from the factory so they have an idea on delivery. You could ask your dealer but it may also be marked on your vehicle. On my current vehicle there is a sticker on the driver side door which indicates what plant and month of build.
  • steve358steve358 Member Posts: 12
    does anyone know how to remove or raise the rear seat headrest on 2011 grand cherokee
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Can I ask why you would want to? Rearward vision???