Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Snugger fit for a car seat...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steve358steve358 Member Posts: 12
    snugger fit for a car seat. sits on headrest, not sure how safe that is. feels solid but would rather have sit on back of seat.
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. I bought a new Grand Cherokee 4X4 over the weekend. I really, really love the way it drives. We had 40 mph winds the last few days and I never once felt them in the Jeep. Just incredible!
    tilted the back seat a little, now car seat seems to be resting(supported) on back of seat and just touching the headrest. Any parents with car seats, try this.
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    I bought Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax at Walmart for about $20 today and waxed my Infernao Red GGC. It is pretty easy to use and gave a nice shine! The red was worth the extra $225!
  • coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    Ok so here it is. I am between two vehicles. They are very different because a friend works at a dealer who sells certain cars.
    2011 Grand Cherokee Loredo X 4x4 or 2011 Cadillac SRX front wheel drive loaded.
    I am completely torn and have been for a week.
    I am somewhat afraid of Jeeps rep in the reliable dept. Their are already horror stories online not that you can believe them.
    What made you pick the GC? I have never owned a jeep. Though I will NOT be doing off roading I just like the jeep in looks and roominess. I like the SRX because of style and modernism. Especially the interior. UGGGHHHH
    Thanks everyone!
  • grimsby1grimsby1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi my wife and I had actually looked at both vehicles and have purchased a JCG Overland. I have a CTS and am a Caddilac fan so we decided to look at the SRX. I have previously owned 2 Jeeps and had no issues. The bottom line for us is we were looking for a luxurious vehicle which had good space to travel up to the cottage. The SRX while beautiful we found underpowered. GM has recognized this and the current engine will be discontinued and upgraded in 2012. This will most likely affect your resale. It is also small, no more room than an CRV. Bottom line for us was the room and the off road capability combined with the Overland cabin made it the best deal for us. Both good vehicles though a touch choice for sure.
  • dewarsandsodadewarsandsoda Member Posts: 207
    Hi Coasterguy,
    I, too, had never owned a Jeep as I was concerned about poor reliability; fit and finish; material quality; etc. My wife is even more finicky, and her penchant is European cars, particularly Mercedes Benz. Yet, after examining a variety of SUV's (e.g., X5, Q7, New Touareg, Cayenne, MB GL, etc.), we elected to purchase a Jeep GC Ltd 4WD. Our rationale was multifold.
    1. Knowing that the Jeep was designed by MB from the Daimler days allayed our concerns about build quality, workmanship, etc. And, after returning from a long road trip over multiple terrains, I can speak first hand to the exceptional ride, handling, etc. of the GC.
    2. The exterior styling is quite distinctive.
    3. The price point is attractive, and the tens of thousands we saved over purchase of a European SUV has already been put to good use in the stock market.

My two rupees...
    edited June 2011
    The SRX was on my short list also. The FWD thing turns me off, so we drove the Jeep first. Ended up taking it home that same day. I say drive both, buy what you like. For me, the Jeep's ride was head and shoulders above the 4Runner that I traded in. Ended up buying a Larado 4X4 V6. The power delivery is different, but I'm getting used to it. Good luck in your decision! Oh, yeah, this is my first Jeep. Never thought I'd own one, until this one came out.
  • arhouarhou Member Posts: 8
    i too have a clunking sound from the rear suspension on my 11 v8 gc overland. the dealer tried the same fix and it didn't work. they stated it is a well known problem.

my visit took place on 6/6/11 so it doesn't appear jeeep is making any progress from your visit of 2/11.
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Member Posts: 21
    After my last service visit on this it seemed like the problem went away but the weather was warm for a few days and when it got cold again it came back. Once the warm weather set in the noise went away again and has not come back so I will have to wait until next winter to see if it comes back. It is a strange one as the dealer claims they have changed every component of the suspension in the back passenger side. Otherwise, my jeep has been great, put some new wheels on it and tinted the front side windows, looks great. I just had a software update done as per Jeep service bulletin 18-012-11 which has changed the shifting off the line and at slow speeds. It is almost as good as putting the jeep in sport mode, makes a big difference in around town driving.

GBees

Gbees
    Gbees, can you tell me more about service bullletin 18-012-11? Does it apply to the Hemi V8 JGCs. What are the symptoms that the bulletin is supposed to remedy? Thanks!
    It looks like it is only for the V6 and covers several issues. Take a look at this
    http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801211a.pdf

GBees
    For anyone having issues with V6 performance, you may want to take a look at this as I just had it done and you will see a difference.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801211a.pdf

GBees
    Thanks for the info! I also called my dealer who said the TSB doesn't apply to my VIN #.
  • tromeneskotromenesko Member Posts: 5
    Just took delivery of V8 JGC and hear a flutter sound at low speeds when car is cool. Sounds like playing card in bike spokes. Sounds like its coming from rear. Dealer cant hear it. Any tips?
  • bill328bill328 Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2011 v8 JGC. It produces such a fluttering sound when I have one window open partially (esp back window) with all other windows closed. If I also lower another opposing window (front left and back rt) the sounds goes away.

I have experienced this phenomenon with other vehicles.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks...this is called buffering and is actually addressed in the owners manual. The noise I am hearing sounds like its coming from the rear suspension or underside. Definitely mechanical, not wind or road noise.

Thanks Again!
    I have the same issue. My dealer stated that this is a known problem and that jeep has published a service bulletin (17-003-10) about it. They followed the corrective action on the bulletin but the noise did not go away. They went on to say that the fix on the bulletin does not correct the problem.

I filed a complaint with Chrysler customer service. That is being worked as we speak.

I would file a complaint with them as well. The more noise about this problem the better.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Buffeting.... I think.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I had wind buffeting on my last SUV, it was horrendious! Haven't driven with the windows down in my new JGC yet, way to hot here in Texas. Really like the ride, though, very happy with my purchase. Can't wait to take her to the Grand Caynon this year! First tank with the V6 got me 19.7. Not too far from the 20.0 I got in my 4Runner. In the Jeep, it's way too easy to find your self doing 10-15 mph over the speed limit.
    There is a suspension noise associated with 2011 JGC that is referenced in bulletin 17-003-10. I have a 2011 JGC w Hemi that has been to the dealer for this noise. They stated that this is a known problem. They performed the work but also stated that fix does not correct the noise problem.

I suggest that you complain to Jeep's customer service dept. The more complaints the better. Maybe they'll do something.
    You are correct! Sorry
  • granddaddydomgranddaddydom Member Posts: 3
    The correct tire for the Overland with the Off-Road Adventure II Package is the Michelin LTX A/T 2 on-off road tire. I walked away from buying one today due to the Overland having the Michelin Latitude Touring tires on the vehicle.

The window sticker stated the vehicle had P265/60R18 OWL On/Off-Road tires.

I told the dealer when he gets the district to pay him to mount the correct tires I will buy the vehicle. This is becoming a major issue that Jeep had better resolve.
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    Have you reviewed all the posts concerning the "wrong" tires on a jeep with the off-road package? There's a lot folks out there with the same concern.
  • granddaddydomgranddaddydom Member Posts: 3
    Yes I have. Additionally I called JEEP-USA and a rep told me this was the first time they heard about the issue. I am waiting for the dealer to get back to me about getting the district rep to reimburse him to switch out the tires for the LTX A/T 2 tires. I can't wait to see what the dealer tells me since he wants to sell the car.

It may be time for owners of the 2011 Overland with the ORA II package to consider starting a class action Lawsuit against Chrysler, if they bought the Overland with the Latitude Touring tires, and paid to have On/Off-Road tires put on. Another idea might be to contact your State Attorney office and file a consumer fraud report against Chrysler for the tire switch.

Hopefully, if enough people did this it might lead to some type of litigation against Chrysler at various state levels. I doubt if the FTC would take any action since the Feds bailed out Chrysler.
    That's a good lie the rep told you. I called them in December, 3 says after my ordered Overland came in. I know many others that also made contacted Jeep for the same issue. I dealt with a good service manager and a good customer rep fm Jeep and I finally got.the issue resolved. It took almost 4 months but I got the LTX's fm Michelin. As far as I know no one else reported the same success. I dealt with some good, dedicated people.
    Has anyone installed an AVIS Bugflector II (bug deflector for the hood) on a 2011 JEEP Grand Cherokee?
  • bear69bear69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 730N Radio/Nav system. I entered all my names and addresses and phone numbers into my "Address Book". Today I went to make a phone call and found my address book was empty!!! This was the second time this happened. The first time I just thought I must have made a mistake to clear it, but this is the second time it happened. I also lost my home address and phone number. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • mp_2121mp_2121 Member Posts: 1
    im currently trying to find an HID bulb kit or HID bulb for my 2011 JGC 4x4 laredo fog lights. However, the manuel only provides a part number, and the dealer can only provide the part number as well. I know the low beams are H11's per the dealer. Does anyone out there know what bulb type the fog bulb is? thank you
  • kevlarskevlars Member Posts: 1
    I called Jeep USA last week and let my dealership know as well. Jeep USA stated that for the ADV II package the Latitude is the incorrect tire. They are waiting for the District Manager to approve the swap out.

I will let you know what I find out.
    Good lucm with the dm. My customer rep's.supervisor had to go over him or. Bypass him to get it done. My dm refused to.do the swap. Good luck. Keep us posted. :)
  • tombguardtombguard Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my 2011 JGC. I purchased it in Jan and it has about 6500 miles on it. I have had it in the shop numerous times for many different things. First the key wouldn't unlock or lock the doors and sometimes it won't even start the car. i called jeep and they told me to hold the key fob up to the push button and that should start it. So when I got it started i took it to my local dealer and they said they have been some issues with the keys fobs. So they re-coded it and it worked for awhile, but now I'm back to square one. Some times it work and others it will not. I have got to the point of video recording it so that i have a record of it. I also have had issues with the transfer case. It had to be replaced at 3500 miles because my service 4 wheel- drive light would not go off, they had my jeep for about 3 weeks before they were able to fix it. Now I'm starting to here a loud CLUNK when i put it into gear. It feels like the transmission is going to fall out. I have checked to see if I have broken a mount, but they all seem to be fine. Has anyone else had simular problems. :(
  • tombguardtombguard Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am having the same problem. I started the vehicle one day and the engine reved up to 7000 RPM's . I was lucky that it wasn't in gear. I have had the transfer case replaced and even now it seems like everytime I put it into gear the transmissions is going to jump right out of the car lol. I have taken it to Jeep they seem to think its fine. I have had several Jeeps in the past and never have had that kind of problem, you would think with a New vehicle that cost 40K that it would shift smooth. :confuse:
  • sadconsumersadconsumer Member Posts: 3
    These issues you are having may be related to a similar issue we have had with ours. Our harmonic balancer went at around 5000KM. The whole pulley system at the front of the engine that ties into the crankshaft let go grinding into the engine block. The had to pull a good section of the engine apart to fix it, but it has never sounded the same since. They kept telling us we got bad gas but now they have admitted they are pulling the camshaft out as it is defective and the extent of the engine damage is unknown at this point. Ours has been in the shop on and off for about half the time we have owned it with no timeframe to get it back. Big mistake buying this vehicle. :sick:
    I bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee 4X4 V6 in January 2011 and it has been nothing but problems. The engine has had to major components defects and they are ripping it apart for the second time in the last few months because the camshaft is done. They, being Chrysler, can't or won't tell mw how much damage the engine has or if it will ever run right and we are about at the point to get LAWYER involved. This is our fourth new Chrysler product in 10 years and third Grand Cherokee and the worse vehicle we have owned in 25 years. The new 2011 Grand Cherokee is a big mistake. :sick:
    :sick: I bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee 4X4 V6 in January 2011 and it has been nothing but problems. The engine has had 2 major component defects and they are ripping it apart for the second time in the last few months because the camshaft is done. They, being Chrysler, can't or won't tell me how much damage the engine has or if it will ever run right and we are about at the point to get a LAWYER involved. This is our fourth new Chrysler product in 10 years and third Grand Cherokee and the worse vehicle we have owned in 25 years. The new 2011 Grand Cherokee is a big mistake. :lemon:
    I have about 13K miles on my 11 JGC V8. Since new, it has had the same noises you described when selecting gears. It is also hard shifting between gears when driving. My dealer says it is the transmission unloading. I've never heard of this before with any other vehicle I have owned.
  • gobettergobetter Member Posts: 1
    I need to have the driver and passenger side windows tinted. BUT I want to be sure they match the other window's shade of tint. Did you go to a chain to get yours tinted? if so, which and what degree of tint did they use, or do they do it from a Jeep guide of some sort. Also, did it have any affect on the remote, I know of a least one Mercedes Benz tinting that totally impaired the remotes ability to even unlock the doors. I just bought my 2011 GC and going to have the service bulletin checked when I take it in for the first oil change. Have you had yours through an automatic card wash yet .. I haven't for fear of ripping of the antennea .. thanks...
    edited August 2011
    I have the same noise in my 2011 cherokee. I did not bring into dealer, car runs fine. That is why I lease and would never buy, giving the car back in 3 years so who cares.
    I went to a local shop that specializes in tinting only, they are not a chain. The tint was one shade less than the back windows as per local laws. It looks very close when you are looking at the side. I have no issues with my remotes. I have it through a wash weekly with no issues. I have almost 10,000 miles on it and it has been great. More power would be nice but otherwise no regrets. I am sure there are some lemons out there and when you buy a first year vehicle you run the chance of having problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed and if I can get through a few years without any major issues, I will be trading it in for another one which by than will have the new tranny and I would expect more power. They could use a major upgrade on the NAV system, not very user friendly. GLTA

Gbees
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    Just received a CD in the mail from SiriusXM with a software upgrade to add Travel Link to 430N radio. Free for the remaining 4 months of my first year of free SiriusXM.

Anyone else receive this and load it? Any problems?
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    I purchased a 4 yr./48,000 mile extended warranty/service contact for my 26x Laredo 4x4 when I purchased last November. Took it in for the 6,000 mile service Wednesday. Basically an oil change, lube, and tire rotation. (Of course I had to show them the contract to get the tire rotation. They said they could only see remaining oil changes.)

During tire rotation they discovered that two lug nuts on the back left tire were cross threaded from the factory. - Replaced under warranty.

And also one tire was leaking slightly from the valve stem. They replaced it under warranty but insinuated that I may have hit a curb and damaged the expensive part being it contained the sensor for the tire pressure monitoring system. Wouldn't I have had to really tear up the side of the wheel to hit the valve stem?

Anyway, no real complaints, still enjoying my vehicle!
  • ethaskellethaskell Member Posts: 10
    Received my disk yesterday, 8/06/11. Loaded and updated without issue. Now about the issue of lost use of the Travel Link from purchase, 12/10, to now? How about an extention of our contracts for this service. I jest ofcourse.
  • qthqth Member Posts: 25
    I bought GC on 6/2011. First 1K miles: 18.5 MPG, 1K - 3K (trip to FL): 21.8 MPG, 1K - 5K(w/ trip 800miles): 24.5 MPG. No problem so far. Anyone gets better MPG? Please share. Thanks.
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    Purchased a '11 JGC Overland six weeks ago. Overall I like it a lot, but I have two questions I'm hoping the group can help with:

1) When I'm pressing the accelerator in a moderate style, and the Jeep slips into what feels like 2nd gear, it seems to go into what I call "Prius mode." The power seems to fade quickly, and the engine/exhaust gets very quiet. I'm still technically accelerating, as the speedometer continues to slowly climb, but boy it feels like the vehicle practically lost power. When I start from a stop and then take off with a bit of a lead foot, there's still a noticeable "power drop" in 2nd gear, but it's short-lived, and then when it kicks into 3rd gear it takes off and sounds just like it did in 1st gear. Is there a fix for this? I read about this bulletin, would this do it? http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801211a.pdf

2) I have the suspension where you press a button and the vehicle will rise ~2", then press the button again and it rises another ~2" (maybe this is standard on all Overlands?). It's really a pretty useless feature for me EXCEPT when I go to pick up my boat on a trailer at the storage unit. Then I love the raise/lower feature as it helps me more easily hook up to the trailer as the trailer is actually a little higher up due to uneven concrete/parking area. Lately though, I push the "UP" button, and it just flashes...it doesn't raise up. I re-read the manual and it says I need to have the vehicle in Park, with the doors shut. I do all that, and it still doesn't seem to want to go up - with or without the trailer attached to the hitch. Is there something else I'm missing that would correct this?

Thanks!
    Are you going by doing the math, or reading off the IP? I bought a V6 4X4 same time you did, have about 2,300 on the clock and have gotten a best of 21.0 mpg on a tank.

Going on a 3,500 mile road trip next month. I think I'll have the oil changed before we depart.

So far loving the vehicle!
  • jeep555jeep555 Member Posts: 5
    Hey there, I know you posted this some time ago, about the lag in acceleration. I had an update done on my V6 that helped, but didn't completely fix the problem. Were you able to get it fixed? What's the status it?
  • qthqth Member Posts: 25
    Read from IP and recheck after refill the gas tank. The 3rd trip (800+ miles, 65-70 MPH)) was a very suprise for me with 24.5 MPG since GC listed 23 MPG. Yes, average is 20-21 MPG with 50city/50hwy. I have GC RWD. So far no problem and love the GC.
  • katjeep11katjeep11 Member Posts: 7
    I've gotten locked out of my car 3 times this week, once I'm in, the key of course is not detected. I know I can put the pop out key in the door to unlock it and start it but that is not the point. I hope that once and for all they can fix this key issue. Has anyone had any definate results yet? Scheduled for Tuesday... unless I get stranded again before then.