Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• 3xjeep3xjeep Member Posts: 11
    Hi, My oil change message came on at 3,885 miles, I had a free oil change coupon from the selling dealer so I thought as the vehicle was over 4 months old what the heck and had the oil change completed, there was anoter note from the factory according to the dealer that the antenna needed checking for something........I'm not sure what but mine was noted as ok :)
  • new_jeepienew_jeepie Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

If you have the V6 engine, then there are some options you can try and many of us report some months ago.

First, call Jeep and give them your vin# to see if you have RRT to update the V6 software. Second, if you do not need to use the Hill Assist Function, then turn it off in the EVIC. It is the setup menu. I had some of the same problems and now I find the V6 power is alot better. In addition, other solutions were using the auto stick for manual shifting and using the sports mode. Check between March and April posts, a lot of good posts on this forum about the acceleration issue.

For the Quadra-Lift Air suspension, bring it to the dealer and have the re flash the module and inspect the system. I had that done once before and it corrected the problem.

Otherwise, I have over 7K and extremely happy.

Best for now. :)
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    This is great info - thank you! I have an appointment to take the Jeep into the dealer this coming Friday. I'll read through the posts and give them a heads up when I get there. I really like the Jeep, but a bit anxious to get past these early hiccups.
    I changed both the Hill Assist and Auto/Sport settings this morning before leaving for work. WOW!!! What a difference! :)

The Jeep now takes off exactly like I thought it should from day one. So clearly there's nothing wrong w/the transmission, it's just computer controlled "stuff." Only downside now is that when I have it in SPORT mode, the warning light comes on telling me I don't have traction control. That's fine most days, but up here in Minnesota traction control comes in handy from Nov/Dec through March/April. I might put it back in AUTO mode tonight and see if that mode, with Hill Assist off, does anything.

I'm still taking it to the dealer on Friday to address the raising/lowering suspension (forget the techie term for this feature), and will also ask them about the power lag if I still have it.
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

As the expression goes, glad to be of service.

I learned the Hill Assist from Post #194 from forum member NOLAJEEP, the credit goes to that member.

I actually changed my tires to the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A (long story). The wet traction, I must say is night and day vs the Michelin Latitude's. Sometimes, I forget to turn the sport mode off, but I still get traction. You must judge yourself the road conditions.

A nice feature with the Quadra-Lift in the snow, when I park outside I lower the JGC to the lowest setting. When I come back later, if I have to shovel, at least it is the minimum. Raise the JGC to the highest setting and the tank will move thru the snow. (pending on the type of tire).

One update and one follow-up question for you New_Jeepie.

Update: I left the Hill Assist off, and left the mode in AUTO. It still took off better than it did in the past. It's not quite as responsive as it was when Hill Assist was off AND it was in Sport mode, but still pretty good.

Follow up question for New_Jeepie: what's up with the tires? I've not had to drive in much rain yet. However, we did drive home from a trip up north, and we were hauling our 4,000 # boat/trailer behind us. It was raining like a mother, and we hit some kind of big "puddle" in the highway and it was the most out of control I've been in a vehicle in a long time. At the time I just figured it had something to do with the weight we were hauling, and the road conditions. But maybe it has something to do with the tires??? Did you have to pay for the tire change, or did Jeep cover it? On regular, dry pavement the current tires ride great.

Thanks again.
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

If you qualify for the service RRT for the V6, IMO it made a difference and I still keep the hill assist off.

If you are towing the boat, I might suggest to turn the Hill assist back on to prevent roll back.

With regards to the tires, I have the adventure trail rated package that should have come with on/off road terrain tires. The Michelin Latitude is basically a touring highway tire. Chrysler/Jeep official position is that the tire is correct and many of us in this forum have tired to get the tire recalled. I understand very few had luck and the tire was change for the Michelin A/T 2.

If you do have the Lat's the basic problem regarding wet traction is the tread depth of 10/32. With all the siping on the tire, hydroplaning does become a problem. My post # 286 goes into other details.

Because I did not want to wait any longer I did pay for the tires. I was able to get the tires pro-rated and paid a small difference. In short, I was very lucky. Read the reviews on BF Goodrich website on the Rugged Terrain T/A.

edited September 2011
    Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has change out the factory Alpine Factory System and installed a better aftermarket headunit and amp. I am about to get ready to do so and wanted to check if anybody had problems.

Thanks in advance.

• usafausafa Member Posts: 7
    Hi --

Since putting on the Rugged Terrain T/As, have you noticed an increase in cabin noise?

I'm debating on the Rugged Terrains or All-Terrains (have had this tire on past trucks), but am a little concerned about increased road noise.

Thanks
    edited September 2011
    Hi,

I found that there is a slight increase in noise on the highway. When I asked other and different passengers from time to time, they reply it does not bother them or really hear any noticeable noise. Instead, they feel the rider is a lot smother. The internal cabin cuts out a lot of noise. When I had the window open it is hard to hear the tire noise.

My understanding that the BFG All-Terrains are nosier due to the thread pattern.

The Rugged Terrain T/A is vast improvement over the old Rugged Trail T/A, moreover, far better in handling wet conditions. I do not plan on doing any heavy duty off-roading at the present, but from the reviews that I came across received excellent marks for light to medium off-roading. I can not tell you about snow and ice at this time.

Between the BFG Rugged Terrains and the BFG All-Terrains it comes down to functionality. For me, I am glad to get rid of the Michelin Latitudes and have a tire that finally works with my Adven II package.

Hope this helps and best for now. :)
    Thanks for the info. I live in Minnesota and wonder how these will do in deeper snow - however, they have to do better than the latitudes.

Any drop in fuel economy?

Keep us updated on how they perform.
    With almost 5000 miles on them, I still maintain the fuel economy. With my V6, on the highway with speeds @ 65 mph, 23.5 miles to the gallon. At 85 mph, I average around 21.5 per gallon. New York City mpg, average is 12. Overall, with summer blend of gas I was surprised that I did not lose any fuel economy in this smooth riding tank. Coming into the winter blend of gas, I am sure as always, I will drop a little.

In Petersen's 4X4 review, they said in testing with snow, they got good results.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_1105_all_new_bfg_rugged_ter- rain_tires/index.html

No indication of results for heavy deep snow. If I have problems with snow, as I sand before in forum, I will invest in a dedicated snow tire. I do travel in the winter north a lot.

• kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    I was fortunate enough to have my Latitudes replaced by Chrysler. Took a long time but well.worth the effort. I replaced them with the Mich LTX2's. Great tire. For an aggressive tire the noise level inside didn't imcrease very much. With windows open it's still not bad. Tire handles and tracks perfect. Wet traction is great. I've hit many pretty deep highway puddles running about 70 - 75mph. and they pretty much didn't waiver. I've used the GY's on my old Bronco many years ago and these LTX's are much quieter and handle better. Milage is better than I thoight it would be. I have the 5.7 Hemi in the Jeep and I averaged 20-21 mpg over the 7300 miles I put on the Jeep. I even had a rooftop box on top. My speeds ran as high as 85 on some of the western highways. It ran perfect the whole time.

Took my 2011 GC Overland offroad in Utah's Canyonlands in August and they were great. Took me anywhere I wanted to go (within reason, didn't go on trails where ya need winches and maybe new paint.)

Point is, the tire is a great replacement for the Lats.
    edited September 2011
    Hello,

To begin with, one of these days I have to travel out to Utah's Canyonlands enjoy what you guys & gals experience. :D

I am glad you stuck to your guns and fought Chrysler. Whereas, I took a another a path, but, I am still waiting for my reimbursement in some form. In the end, I will also win.

When I spoke to Michelin about what would be the best replacement option, they directed me to BF Goodrich. They felt I would be better suited with the Rugged Terrain T/A rather than the LTX A/T2's. I followed their suggestion and read up on the previews. The Petersen's 4X4 review sold me.

I guess the Lat's are good for a Ford or a Nissan. But a JEEP, needs a real tire with gusto. And yes, the Michelin tire family does have the right products. I hope Chrysler fixes their stupid mistake.

Happy trails and Best for Now. :)
  • my3snsmy3sns Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 jeep overland in November of 2011. I had problems with my keys from the start and currently still am. They told me that I was the only one as well. :cry:
    Hello,

Check with dealer's service department or go online to the owners section of jeep.com to lookup if you had the latest RRT performed for the FOB. My understanding now is the FOB is still a problem for a small percentage of owners since the last RRT. I have read in other forums that the modules has to be completely changed.

If the problem still reoccurs, make sure you notified Chrysler/Jeep customer service to establish a problem ticket or whatever they call it now.

• 1stormy1stormy Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a new 2011 JGC Overland Summit with 5.7L Hemi early August. Lat week check battery light comes on immediately after starting. With restart 30 minutes later, light does not appear. Went to dealer to check battery and cables, everything checked out. 3 days later while driving all of the warning indicator came on, the radio shut off, and the windshield wipers came on and could not be shut off manually. A few minutes later, all of the warning lights disappeared except the check battery light. Checked out at dealer, checked all of the error codes and battery..no problems noted. Of course, they could not recreate the episode. Odd that all of those error codes would appear on a diagnostic. Any ideas? Of, course it is related to the computer.
  • virginianjeepvirginianjeep Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2011 JGC and have had it in three different times. LIke you the problem is better after the latest RRT, but still has a hesitation between 2nd & 3rd. It almost stalls and then surges. Jeep has not been any help - completely disappointed.

Have you had any luck getting a new fix or another RRT?
    Have you turned off the Hill Assist option? Many of us here on this forum have done so and have much better results.

Yes, others on the forum have made the following suggestions: turn off Hill Assist feature in your vehicle set up program, turn the console knob (Quadra something) to Sport. These two simple things have worked wonders for my '11 JGC Overland. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the tranny performance, but I've movie from 70% satisfied, to 95%. Good luck!
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Member Posts: 21
    I found that turning off hill assist made no difference but running in sport mode makes a huge difference as it holds each gear longer to give better offline performance. It is nice to have the hill assist for around town driving as we have a lot of hills. My last update looked like it made a performance difference but it either was a fluke or something changed as it went back to the way it always was the next day. Does anyone know if these updates don't hold sometimes and the computer resets itself to default? It has been a great vehicle otherwise and my custom wheels and side window tint make it look even better. glta
    I have turned the Hill Assistance OFF, but since I don't have the Overland Edition, I don't have a sport mode.

I also own a Toyota 4-Runner, with 210,000 miles, has 100 less hp, and performs better at low speeds than my JGC. No wonder Jeep gets so LOW SCORES from Consumer Reports. They just DON'T CARE as far as I can tell.
  • joe_dejoe_de Member Posts: 2
    I picked my 2011 Limited up yesterday...left the dealership to get gas and the engine just cut.

It would not start again...had it flat-bedded back.

UNREAL!!! :mad:
  • joe_dejoe_de Member Posts: 2
    Well...the dealership called me back and told me that I needed a new powertrain control module. 12 miles on it and I need a new PCM. I asked..."didn't it have a new PCM?!"
  • taylorguitartaylorguitar Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I've had my 2011 Jeep GC Overland a month now and LOVE it. However, driving around town tonight, about 4 or 5 cars at various times were frantically hitting their brake lights at me as if my high beams were on...one even flipped me off.
    I know the high beams were not on. I had the lights set to auto, and later set it to the manual setting and they looked the same to me.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Hello,

I remember years ago, mechanics had a device that would measure the headlights output angle. Your lights might be installed slightly higher. Also, if you do have the Smart-Bbeam technology option, then that is another possibility. I would bring in to the Jeep service center and let them check it out for you.

Has anybody purchased the after market sport utility bars for the 2011 Grand Cherokee? If so, what has been your experience? Have you noticed increased wind noise? I've read mixed reviews on-line (pro: can take on and off, con: difficult to secure bungee chords as no holes).

I realize I need to purchase so I can put skis, snowboards, canoes, etc on the roof, but am wondering if a new design is on the way?

Lastly -- does anybody know of any website that will have cheaper than MOPAR's $276?

Thanks
  • tromeneskotromenesko Member Posts: 5
    I have been holding off waiting for something better to come along. I did see new bars on ebay for $215.
  • overland2011overland2011 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please help me? I can't find where is exactly located the fuel tank in the new model 5.7: here in Italy nobody knows if it is on the right or the left side. I couldn'find any scheme or diagram about my problem. Many thanks!
    Has anyone had a problem with a vibration when the the JCC shifts from 1st to 2nd? You feel and hear it as it revs up and than shifts. YOu do not hear or feel it through the rest of the gears just 1-2. I had the dealer look at it and they are not sure why it is doing this.
  • diane63diane63 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a jgc and took it out in our 1st snow storm in late oct. It goes great in town thru snow, but very, very disappointed on the back roads where we live. My #1 concern buying one was it getting thru snow good and the sales person assured us we would not have any problems at all. It has goodyear fortera tires on it, which to me do not look like they have enough tread for snow. I have talked to the dealership and they say they have no problems with theirs. Well, they live in town and we live in the boonies where the roads do not get kept up like town roads. Also having trouble with the sunroof being stuck open and have to hold the button down for a little bit so it can reset itself. We only have 2500 miles on it and would really like to trade it in for a "true" 4wd truck that I know I can depend on, but will lose too much money. Will have to let it sit most of the winter and use my truck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Why not just replace the tires?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hello,

With regards to the sunroof, just bring the GC back to the dealership for warranty service for which they are obligated too do so. If you still do not get any positive results, call Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat let them know the situation and they will tell you what to next or try another dealership. I did.

However, since you got the standard tire 20 inch tire, the dealership will not do anything for you. If you have read the forum, even us with Adventure Package II have problems getting the right on/off road all terrain tire. You might want to contact Goodyear and find out about their policy.

Currently, 20 inch tires are limited in the all terrain category. Another option for the snow and many others use this option as well, a dedicated winter tire.

Believe or not, this JGC is a true 4x4. I now have over 11K on mine and I did change the tires. The bottom line for me, I really like this 4x4.

• gstephen1978gstephen1978 Member Posts: 4
    I also had the same issue and took it to the Jeep service center where they found my engine mount was broken and they replaced the mount under warranty and now i am good to go. Please check your engine mount with your dealer.
  • gstephen1978gstephen1978 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

regarding the tires, I am also on 12 k mileage and the tires provided by the jeep dealers in Doha are Korean tires named Kumho. I am struggling to get my tire replaced from the Jeep dealer here in Doha as there is no comfort in driving the car as it always vibrates or wobble over a speed of 100 Km.hr. I am surprised Jeep providing such cheap tires on 4x4 and i am not satisfied with my JGC as I always have some problems all the time, true i love driving the car, but pretty bad that Chrysler don't give a quick remedy on the problems i have on my car. some time i feel like selling it. I have problems with my key FOB where I am finding it difficult to get my car started, it mostly dont detect the Key and while i am driving the car it always shows key has left vehicle, pretty strange. I have replaced almost 4 sets of keys from the jeep service center and still problem not resolved. chrysler have to recall all the jGC 2011 and resolve the technical problems. If I have to list a set of problems for my JGC. Its a lot to say, hope you all dont have any problems like this, other wise i love my JGC.
    Hello,

My FOB key also went down and they replaced the keys and a module under warranty.

The sad part about the tire issue and this is true with the majority of the car manufactures is the tires are really not a concern of there's. As far they are concerned if they meet the government regulations, that is fine, if you want better tires, then go aftermarket. When I had my Nissan 4x4 in the past, the first purchase was at least 1k in tires. My grip, as I stated so often within this forum, since I have the Adventure Package I should have had the better tires.

Who ever rides in the JGC with me can not believe the ride. So far, I had two problems, one I created with an aftermaket product, which has since been corrected and the keys. Now after 10 months of owning it, I am glad I dumped the Pathfinder.

• diane63diane63 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes, we stopped yesterday at Kost Tires to get a price on better tires. It's a shame though that you spend so much money for a suv and then have to dish out another 800 bucks on tires. I also called the dealership again and complained and they said they never have problems getting around (in town). Same ole, blah, blah. We live in very steep hill country with not much road care. I am looking into trading it in - on another jeep...haha. One with the Quadra ll and more gadgets to play with, and of corse more stuff to go wrong. But overall, I love the JGC.
    Thanks for the info, I will let you know how it goes.

Gbee
    It looks like the motor mounts are ok. They cannot figure out why it vibrates. I hate to think the tranny is going already. I thought the old 5 speed would be the most reliable part of the redesigned JCC. I will have to wait for them to figure it out.

Gbee
    After having the RRT update and turning hill assit off, my GJC is slightly better but still performs poorly! If I shift manually, it's ok. Has anyone else continued to have the same problem and had any fixes or know of updates? Very weak acceleration.
    No. I still have the same problem. If I put it in Sport mode it's better, but here in MN you can't use sport mode for 4-5 months out of the year. You need that auto mode/traction. I love just about everything else about the JGC, but the tranny "thing" would probably prevent me from buying again...unless they fix it. Hopefully the Jeep boys are reading this.
  • kgvwkgvw Member Posts: 29
    I've posted here before concerning off-road tires on a 2011 Overland with Adventure II pkg.
    This is a new problem concerning the backs of the front seats. I have a bit over 20M miles on the Jeep and have virtually no complaint after a ong trip out to the Utah Canyonlands area. The problem I'm having is that the plastic backs on the front seats are pulling away from the leather seats. I have a gap of about .5 inch in the middle of the top of the backs and can see right into the seats themselvs.. I already had the dealer replace them once and now the replacement backs are worse than the originals. The dealer had told me that there were a few problems like mine where they had to replace the seat back. I don't know the resolution of those cases though. Not sure what can be done here because there are no clips or such to hold the seat back to the seat itself at the top. It seems like it should be a compression fit but the plastic expanded or had some sort of memory to it.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if it was resolved. :(
  • jak49jak49 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the turn signal flasher is located on the 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo?
  • 4whljunkie894whljunkie89 Member Posts: 1
    :) Hello all i just purchased a 2012 jgc loredo x and i have been reading this forum for awhile now trying to see if the issues that the 2011 jgc had been having are resolved in the 2012 models. Also does anyone know if they started giving the true on/off road tires instead of the touring tires with the advt pckg 2? As well as the sluggish acceleration issue? any help would be much appreciated.
  • ssuaessuae Member Posts: 1
    I really like the look of the new Grand Cherokee Ltd, but am concerned about reliability - never owned a jgc before. Anyone in the UAE having problems with the 2012 V8 model?

Thanks.

Ss.
  • richjrrichjr Member Posts: 1
    We are experiencing multiple instances of sudden acceleration with our 2011 Grand Cherokee. Three different drivers, my wife, son and me, in multiple situations. Last one was going from reverse to drive backing out of a parking spot and caused us to fun into the parked car next to us. My foot was on the brake all the time which could be validated by the beeping of the back-up signal.

Anyone else having an issues such as this? Thank you.
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    Wondering if I have a warped rotor... Last several days noticed my brakes squeaking a bit as I backed out of the garage in the morning. Then today idled down the street a bit and noticed very faint squeaking, but intermittently, not the entire time.

Do I have a warped rotor rubbing against the pads once a revolution of the tire?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello xc90508,

Sorry to hear you are having a concern with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I checked for Technical Service Bulletins but could not find anything related to the faint squeaking you described above.

You may want to consider having the vehicle diagnosed by your local authorized Dodge Service Department or a trusted mechanic if you have not already done so.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • surferronsurferron Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    I hope the 2014 JGC has a flip cover for the drink holders, and a steering wheel that's not as thick.
    I also hope Someone at Jeep reads these posts.
  • 4evrjeep4evrjeep Member Posts: 1
    noticed you bought cross bars........i just got some and installed today and the wind noise at +40 mph is awful!! do you have a similar problem?/

thx
    db