Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• jj2011jj2011 Member Posts: 3
    I have the V6 its hands down the best vehicle i have owned. My brother has the Nitro which is a sister vehicle to the jeep and it eats gas and has no balls compared to the V6 so i can only imagine how smooth the 8 runs.
  • localizerlocalizer Member Posts: 6
    The Hemi V-8, the custom paint, the top end Nav/Stereo w/DVD player and the 20" wheels brought it to $40K. But with discounts and a generous trade, I took it.
  • ikarusikarus Member Posts: 1
    I lease my JGC's for the past 10 years. At the beginning of the year I decided to extend my ending lease so I can get the new 2011. I think the look is awesome. When the advertisements came out for 399 a month 2490 down, with a $750 cash for a special loyal customer rebate, I rushed to the dealer.

Now I only asked for a base model with the option of the sunroof and the quote given to me was $$$$$473$$$$$4 a month for 36 months 36.000 miles. Thats $80 more a month than my last lease for the 2007, same base model with sun roof. If you go to the Jeep Site and build your own, it comes to a total of 32,100. Thats 34,347 with NJ tax

Figuring this out.. After 36 months I would have put 19500 into this car. In three years, based on edmunds used car value, my 2007 GC with 27000 miles on it is $23000. With all the review on the residual value of a 2011, I would assume it a little more than that in 3 years since the mileage is the same with the term. So, if I add correctly...Jeep would get 43,000 for a base model with a sun roof?

When I called Chrysler Financial up and found out they no longer are the leasers, the representative did state that alot of the customers are very dissappointed with the terms and high price from the GMAC company they now use.

Does this seem unreal? :confuse: ?
  • aces_fullaces_full Member Posts: 16
    I'm very disappointed with the leasing situation too. First of all, the 2010's had a sweet option package that included everything i want for only $3,000 more than the base - sunroof, NAV, and upgraded stereo along with a few other toys. Also, you could add a sunroof without getting leather etc. Now, you have to go up to the $37,500 range to get a sunroof!

I was also very disappointed with the leasing figures too. One dealer quoted me $4500 down, $349/mo and wouldnt budget much, and that was for the base 4x4 with no options.

In any event, does anyone know how the sales of these are doing? I have a feeling they aren't so strong as I'm already seeing rebates/discounts being offered. Hopefully the leasing terms get better too!

-aces_full
  • 1pt21jigowatts1pt21jigowatts Member Posts: 25
    I think a lot of the problem with getting a better deal is that Chrylser financial no longer exists. I am not seeing anything other that dealer invoice as far as "deals". With GMAC running their financing, rebates and agressive interest rates beyond 3.9% on the 60 month option will be rare until end of year deals in late Nov. - Dec. in my opinion. Trust me, I hope I am wrong as I am holding my 1999 together with duct tape as I pray they get aggressive on the 2011s. I am leaning towards a 2008 OVerland at this point because a 2 year old used car is the best value in my opinion.
  • localizerlocalizer Member Posts: 6
    Well the new GC Limited I bought has broke on me. Been having noises while driving and rough to steer. Took to dealer this morning and they stated I should not drive it until they R&R the Rack and Pionion assy. It was shot. Part coming in late today, and I should have it back tomorrow with new unit installed. Guess I can't get too mad about it, as they buy the parts from different places and just assemble in Detroit. Could have installed a bad one from the get go. Just a 24 to 36 hours inconvience. I have 1280 miles on it, and the average mileage for the Hemi has gone up to 18.6 MPG. Love those numbers so far. Everything else working smoothly. Still a keeper in my eyes.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Seems like reasonable mileage...Is it a 4X4?
  • granted71granted71 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, good lease deals no longer exist. I was quoted $624/month with $0 down for 39 months on a 2011 Laredo 4x2 with 26X package today.

I am currently leasing a 2007 Laredo with 28X package at $460/month. The sticker price was $1000 higher on my 2007 and I absorbed a few of my 2005 Laredo lease payments into that. Of course there was $6000 in rebates at the time.

I'm sure they will be flooding the rental car fleets with the 2011 in a few months and they will be jacking the rebates back up.
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Have any new owners of the '11 GC driven in windy conditions on the highway? Is it like driving a "flying brick?" I have an 07 4Runner Sport and hate driving on the highway when it's windy, which is quite often in Texas. And how is the seat comfort? Thanks.
  • fsu_seminole1fsu_seminole1 Member Posts: 12
    I have yet to drive the new Grand Cherokee, but I hated the last generation and I hated the Commander. Waste of time on the interstate in the Box. I'm really liking the new Grand Cherokee, and I wanted to know when Chrysler's going to throw in the 8 speed. I was guessing maybe for the '12 or '13 model year. I feel like it'll be a good highway cruiser. I am starting to see them on the road. This one may be the winner for Chrysler. I just hope no one's having any serious problem with the Grand Cherokee yet. :)
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    edited October 2010
    The 2011 JGC is in no way comparable to any previous generation except in off-road ability.

I have driven several 3.6s and 5.7s and they are uniformly a quality vehicle. My preference is for the 5.7 because of acceleration.

All the new ones drive more like cars than trucks and are exceedingly quiet, comfortable, well assembled and generally upscale. The amenities are those found in high-end automobiles. The audio and NAV systems are top-notch.

The AWD systems are also the best in the business, especially the Quadra-Drive II with Quadra-Lift.

I have compared the new JGC to Land Rover LR4, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Outback and Forester, Mitsubishi Outlander, BMW X3 and X5, M-B GLK 350 and ML class, etc. The new Jeep Grand Cherokee beats them all in overall value, capability, refinement, minimization of N/V/H, exterior and interior appearance and cruising range along with on- and off-road ride. It is a real winner, no doubt about it.
  • fsu_seminole1fsu_seminole1 Member Posts: 12
    I definitely agree with you Priggly. I definite winner in my book. The interior is VERY niceI would love to have one with the 8 speed in it. Definitely can't find any info on when they're arriving. Hopefully things continue to unfold for the good for Jeep. The Grand Cherokee is already a winner. Plus the new Pentastar V6. Now the improvements need to filter through the rest of the line and we have a winning team. I dont care to much for the Chrysler/Dodge lineup other than the Charger/Ram (they are nice also). Hopefully things will work out for Chrysler and they will start gaining more market share.
  • skou1298skou1298 Member Posts: 3
    Just test drove a 2011 V6 JGC Limited and I was a little disappointed by the fact that the vehicle had a noticeable hesitation when accelerating from a stop. I loved the vehicle overall; looked sharp, handled great, nice interior layout, etc. But the hesitation was super annoying. Is this typical for this model or did I test drive an isolated problem?
  • corey7029corey7029 Member Posts: 13
    Might have been because the hill start assist system was turned on? Or maybe just new and things need a little time to "seat" inside the engine and transmission? not to sure ? just a few guesses.
    I have now tested half a dozen of V6s and V8s in various configurations and noticed no untoward hesitation.

It's a great ride though a little large and gas hungry.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2010
    "The success of the redesigned 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee deserves much of the credit for Chrysler's improvement."

Chrysler Narrows Losses, Increases Operating Profit, Ups Forecast (AutoObserver)

And this was another interesting story in the news:

•2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee could provide the donor platform for new SUVs from Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

•Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne made the comment during a conference call this morning with reporters.

•Marchionne also said the Grand Cherokee platform could support the use of Ferrari powertrains.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Could Underpin Future Alfa, Maserati SUVs (Inside Line)
  • beauregard56beauregard56 Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2010
    Beautiful SUV, good ride, drives and rides very good interior is real fancy and impressive. Very resopnsive engine. Interior is top quality. Bad side--- Sirrus radio goes in and out, poor gas mileage, seats are comfortable if you a woman but for guys unless you sit with your legs together it cuts off the circulation to your left leg ( the seat is not wide enough at the front to support your leg next to your knees. I have the Hemi engine very responsive but on a trip I averaged only 17.5. and barely got that I definately would not recomend anyone buying a Cherokee. I sure wish I didnt. I figure i blew 38000 on this one . Cant wait till the 2012 come out so I can trade it in.
    I disagree with every single thing you've said about the new Grand Cherokee's shortcomings except for the poor gas mileage. I have driven six of these vehicles and never experienced seat discomfort. The interior is high-end and well assembled. The SAT radio in all six I drove was perfect and you must have experienced a lemon.

I would recommend the vehicle to anyone seeking an upscale SUV with a legendary AWD system which is not going to leave you stranded in a snowstorm or on a muddy road!

Just be prepared to pay a bit more for gas. BTW the HEMI is truly one of the world's great engines and is bulletproof. It's been featured on Ward's Ten Best Engine lists numerous times. The tranny although having only five speeds is top-notch and mates well with both engine choices, the V6 and the HEMI.

Check it out. You won't regret it.
    edited November 2010
    I have no complaint with the engine. It is probably the best on the market. I along with a lot of other feel it should get bettter mileage. They can easily do that with another gear in the transmission. It's that simple. As far as the interior yes it looks good. I said that it cuts off the circulation from my left knee down. All they would have to do is add another inch to the seat to make it longer and another inch on the front to make it wider. It doesnt get any simpler than that. Jeep had to cut corners to make it compatable with others on the market. Well the messed up here. The Co. I am affiliated with buys anywhere between 120 to 250 vehicles per year, and I have the say so as to what brand meets our drivers needs. I have let another person drive this Jeep and they also agree with what I am saying. With that said we will continue buying Crown Vics or Chevy Tahoes for our drivers. About 20 of the next fleet will go to Female drivers, one of which also drove this vehicle and agrees with what I have said. We also have about 200 Chargers in our fleet with the RT package and 380 HP motors which are very comfortable
    The current 5-speed will doubtless be upgraded to more gears, possibly even 8 as per the M-B heritage.

As for the seats, no seats fit everyone exactly perfectly because all of our anatomies are sightly different. My experience in that regard, however, was without any negative vibes whatsoever.

Overall the JGC is the best premium SUV of the current lot. You can pay $29,000 more for a Land Rover LR4 and get a vehicle not so good as the Jeep.

Overall I was very impressed and would not hesitate to buy one.
    edited November 2010
    You can also buy a Ford Explorer for about the same price with comfortable seats, Also you can buy a Chevy Tahoe (which gets better MPG) or a GMC Yukon for the same price or less All with comfortable seats. All I maght add is just as good or better than the Jeep. We just took delivery of 15, 2011 Tahoe's 1 month ago and I have driven them and they are more comfortable for us. We average 5 hours per day per vehicle in the vehicle.
    Another thing the radio on satellite mode goes in and out when in trees! You cant even do 35 miles per hour with the rear windows open without it going thump thump thump. What poor quality is this. The bluetooth on the radio does not work exactly right. You might disagree with everything I say but obviously you dont own one and give it a true rating. (you must work for Jeep somehow) I just give it a fair evaluation as I see it. I also hav let others evaluate it and they all agree withme with this vehicle. Before we bought the Charger RT We went out and bought 3 from different dealers to evaluate them. All we found wrong with them originally if you needed to drop it into gear andgo immediately it took a second for the transmission to react. Dodge later changed this on the interceptor line, and on the regular production cars. After all remember this is the first year for this model. Hopefully they will get the bugs out and improve on their vehicles. It would look funny to see a law inforcement official behind you with blue lights on in a foreign made SUV because America Car Manufacturers cannot or will not make a good one. We have never bought foreign but that is always the possibility
    The quality has improved, but thats about all. I dont recomend anyone buying one. I did and now regret it. The front seat cuts off the circulation to my left leg and makes it hurt, you cant go 35 with the rear windows open without hearing the thump thump for th rear glass, the radio fades in and out on sattellite, the blue tooth is fair. and the 5.7 Hemi is a good runner and poor gas mileage. They want you to believe the thing will handle 7000 lbs towing but only a fool would try to pull that much. even with electric brakes the weight of the vehicle could not handle a 7000 lbs payload. They think everyone is stupid. I was stupid to even buy it in the first place. I paid 38K for this one and have had it 3 onths and will probably trade it in next week for something else just to get rid of it. I despise even driving it.
    we get it, you don't like the vehicle.
    Would you? Just got back from a trim (250 Miles) in a 06 mustang and did not have any knee problems. its a shame that the seats fit you better than in a 40K Gran Cherokee. What do you think
  • dredma1dredma1 Member Posts: 6
    Enough! Your leg falls asleep and you get bad gas mileage. 10-4.
    Let us know what you trade for. Have you driven yet in high cross winds? Do you have to saw the steering wheel? Guess I need to drive on in high winds. Have a 4Runner now that is a flying brick in cross winds. Perhaps all high-profile vehicles are . . . ?
    I have driven it in about 35 mile an Hour winds, you could tell that it was not going to do too good if the wind got any higher. You could feel it start lifting it up though
    Are you liking your Jeep any better since you've put some miles on it? Does the seat still hurt your leg? I have yet to test drive one, still trying to narrow my next purchase down to a few vehicles.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Yes, but when the snow gets deep, if you have a Ford or Chevy, get ready to WALK. Not so with a Jeep!
  • wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    I was interested in finding out what people have been paying for this vehicle. I am in the market but not a good negotiator, hope you can help and post your prices before taxes and tags.

Thanks
  • seattle37seattle37 Member Posts: 1
    Priggly, Your enthusiasm is great - you clearly like the 2011 JGC. It is also transparent. It would be great if posters on this site were not motivated by other interests. To overly hype one vehicle while dumping bombastic rhetoric over another to serve one's self is at best annoying. It is also misleading to those of us looking for an honest independent discussion. ;)
    I find your comments disingenuous and erroneous. My JGC comments are based on FACTS as I have investigated them. I drove SIX (6) different vehicles before ordering one.

You want "bombastic rhetoric?" Go to the well-known (by now) Subaru Outback board and read of the hundreds of negative comments and how the owners/buyers are being humored and "encouraged" into tolerating intolerable vehicles. They are quite frankly being conned.

You say you want honesty. There are hundreds of pages of "honesty" on that other board. If that is "self-serving" I suggest you are light years away from either objectivity or reality.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shall we get back to talking about the JGC? Readers are pretty good about separating the wheat from the chaff in the messages. Thanks.
    I have a 1999 Limited JGC w the V8 (4.7) and am trying to decide on the 2011 V6 versus V8 version. I love my current V8 (nearly 200,000 miles on it) and am sure I would love owning the 2011 w the Hemi (especially after test driving for nearly an hour) but cost is definitely a factor for me. It seems that people purchasing/leasing and the lower listed financing options all point towards dealers "playing ball" more on the V6/Laredo versions. I saw Priggly mention the added gears on the tranny and how that could help with gas mileage. Does anyone know if that is an addition that is definitely in the works or is it just wishful thinking at this point? No chance it happens on the 2012's, right? That would certainly help with the gas mileage on the Hemi and make this an easier decision since I like the vented seats, interior trim, auto-start and wheels that come with the Limited/Overland configs.
  • andrewshafandrewshaf Member Posts: 1
    I have the 5.7L hemi Overland. Love the power and all the options. I live in Philadelphia, so I do a lot of city driving, and some highway to get to work. Average mpg is around 15. Cruisin on the highway at 80, I usually get around 18mpg.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnF-LpBZFqY&feature=fvw

The new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, especially in Limited and Overland configurations, are going to turn out to be the leaders of the class.

They already are.

And built in America, too, in Detroit at the North Jefferson Assembly Plant.
  • surferronsurferron Member Posts: 6
    The 2011 is very nice but I didn't buy one yet. I hope the 2012 will have a larger Nav system, steering wheel not so thick, softer buttons and a cover over the drink cup holders. I am also hoping that some designer at Jeep reads this post and agrees with me!
  • aces_fullaces_full Member Posts: 16
    I'm hoping they will put leather on the steering wheel that feels like leather and not hard plastic to the touch.....I also hope they replace that 1982 style base stereo with something more modern looking - ruins an otherwise beautiful dash!
  • outwardlycheapoutwardlycheap Member Posts: 3
    Will someone tell Chrysler that for that price, I will get a BMW instead! Man, nice looking whip but severly overpriced. I doubt they're selling well, for I have only seen a few on the streets. They should be 10k cheaper...
    The fact of the matter is that the JGC is NOT overpriced, the dollar is UNDERPRICED and getting worse weekly, thanks to Obama and friends Geithner and Bernanke. Did you know the dollar lost 7% last week alone?

And as far as BMW is concerned, their prices are even worse. $10,000 MORE for the new X3 compared to the Overland. Got to pay those high German pensions, ya know.
    The tranny does not have "added gears" as far as I know, just the conventional five.

What happens is that when the HEMI is not under load, it reduces to 4 cylinders from 8 and this results in added fuel economy. I have the same thing on my 2006 Chevy Impala SS and it works seamlessly an beautifully, not to mention effectively.
    Yes, by all means trade it in (to a willing buyer, of which there will be many). We are all getting tired of your moaning and bitching about the car which is a perfectly fine vehicle.

I drove six (6) before ordering mine and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the seats, in fact, they were high-end.

You must know little about cars because you think it is abnormal to hear a "thump thump" with the windows down. ALL cars do that.

You have an obvious bias against the car so go get yourself a quality-lessening Toyota and be satisfied.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I drove an Overland V6 over the weekend, nice vehicle but it was lacking some power. It was adequate but by no means what I would expect from a $42,000 vehicle. It was quieter than my 2008 4Runner, ride was comparable. The main negative was a Check Engine light that was on, I was actually surprised the salesman brought it around to drive with the light on, but when I mentioned it he said, "Oh as long as it's not flashing we're OK." I remarked how it wasn't really comforting for a brand new vehicle with 21 miles on it to have the light on and he said it was just because the gas cap wasn't tight. He may have been right but it didn't instill confidence.

The final killer was the residual on the lease rates, at 43% the lease was near $750 per month, and while it's a nice vehicle, you can get a lot more for your money at that price. I'm hoping the 8 speed transmission makes its way into the 2012 and helps with the power issue, but that probably won't be enough to get me into one.

I wish the residuals were better and the Check Engine light hadn't been on, if so I'd probably be leasing one today.
  • surferronsurferron Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I agree with you, re: steering wheel.
  • jjp550jjp550 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a2011 v6 with check engine light on and they said nothing to worry about probably gas cap , now they dont know what to do to fix it I'm waiting to get it fixed
    I regret you who have test-driven the V-6 have had problems. I would not have driven the 6 either. The gold in this engine is in the HEMI. It is a GREAT engine and I cannot wait for mine to get here!

In the proper configuration it really is a superior vehicle. Forget the six, it is not the engine to have. It is only there because of the government. Get the V8 and be very happy!
    Yeah, I didn't find it very comforting, I'm really still surprised the sales guy brought it around, he drove it up front for me, you'd think he would notice that and get another one.

Hope they're able to get yours fixed soon, that's another reason I want to lease, quality is still suspect to me on the Jeep. If it starts having problems I want it to be under warranty and I want to be able to give it back at the end and not have to worry about it.
    I don't need the HEMI, I'll never tow anything with the vehicle and the 6 had enough power for me for daily driving. For me it's not worth the extra $2 grand and the decreased mileage to have the HEMI. Kind of like someone in FL buying 4WD, why pay for it if you don't want or need it.
  • charcoal2011charcoal2011 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2011 JGC Laredo in November. On Friday the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealership and they told me the problem had to do with the 'cold start indicator'. They ran some tests and are waiting to hear back from Chrysler on how to proceed. They did say that they have heard about this problem on other 2011 JGC. Has anybody else heard about this?
    I am hoping it is not a major issue, because so far I love this car!