Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• toddoletoddole Member Posts: 3
    It wasn't really a crack, it was more of a hairline fracture (so to speak). You can't touch the glass and feel any split on the outside of the glass. But, you can see a noticable crack in the window. Its really hard to explain, but I am sure 100% that nothing could have hit my window to make it crack in the way that it did. Believe me, there hasn't been any off-roading done with this car.
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey everyone! I couldn't resist any longer, so I finally gave in to the urge and called DC's 800 # to check on my TJ's status. It has not been built yet, but has been assigned a VIN. The rep I spoke with figured it would probably be built within the next couple of weeks, but didn't know how long it would be between the build date and ship date. He did know, however, that it only takes 9 days to ship from the factory to my dealer! So, if it gets built and shipped by March 1st (or at least during the first week of March), I'll probably have it by mid March! Considering I only ordered last Wednesday, 2/7/01, I was thrilled to hear what little news there was. With any luck, I'll be Jeepin' soon!
  • hosstjhosstj Member Posts: 28
    I ordered new Sahara 01/23/01,dealer called today to say it was built today and will ship tomorrow. This is my 1st Wrangler. I named him HOSS,I wanted to make tsjay proud by giving him a name.

DESCRIPTION
    BLACK/TAN SOFT TOP/TAN STRIPES
    3 INCH ROCK CRAWLER RANCHO SUSP.LIFT
    33X12.5 MICKEY THOMPSON TIRES
    WILL CHOOSE WHEELS WHEN IT ARRIVES
    CD/ANTI THEFT/5 SPEED/WINDOW TINT
    Bought for invoice Dealer called on 2/2/01 and said good news 500. rebate.
    I AM SO DANG EXCITED I CANT WAIT !!!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Congratulations, my man! Who is doing the lift for you? Does your dealer send them out for this work? Can you have them sent from the factory to someplace that lifts them? What's the deal?

I am very proud of you for realzing the importance of naming your Jeep. Hoss sounds like a fine name, by the way.

"Dang" excited? That IS a "Hoss" word.

Well, I am "dang" excited for you too! Let us have some details about who is doing the lift and if that was figured into your deal, etc.

Welcome to the club!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I am new to posting, but have gone back and read every post in the last month.(on the road alot) I feel like I know most everyone here. I hope yall continue to post, I have learned alot from everyone and took advice on many things before ordering HOSS. I ordered from dealer in west Ft. Worth (Moritz) The manager is from Michigan and a whizz at ordering jeeps of all kinds. He came from a 200 unit a month dealer in Michigan to improve sales for this dealer. Talked to several who bought there and they very satisfied. We shall see

I CANT WAIT TO HUG MY JEEP!!
    Hopefully it won't be long! They didn't give you a firm production date, huh? They gave me Thelma's very early on after the order was placed.

It turned out to be exactly one week after the original date, because they took a shut down week the week Thelma was supposed to be built.

I STILL had Thelma in 23 days!

Just hang in there, tjy. It is tough, I know!

Let's chat again sometime.

tsjay
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I'd be darned, there are 3 catalytic converters under there! I had not noticed that when I was under there to change my oil or anything.
    tsjay the dealer is doing the lift, tires and wheels. I was afraid of being ripped by letting dealer install,but checked around several 4x4 shops w/good reputation and he was only 200.00 higher for lift/tires/wheels. I figured for 200.00
    he can install/warranty it. The lift being dealer installed also has 3 yr./36000 warranty. I can also finance the whole package that way.
    Cool! You DID go to a good dealer for Jeeps, didn't you?

Buying from a dealer who knows Jeeps will be a definite advantage for you.

Good luck with that bad boy!

Of course, you will be posting links to some pictures in the near future, I hope?

tsjay

• mailman_12_3mailman_12_3 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Jeep Saraha and the same thing happened to me. While driving down the interstate and my defrosters on I heard a cracking sound. Two crackes in the windshield at the base about 6-8 inches long. No sight of rocks pits, I consulted with a local glass business and he didn't believe it was because of a rock pit either. Is there a defect in the 2001 winshields? I feel this should be covered by the dealer.
    I took Thelma Jane to the body shop today for an estimate on fixing the place where the paint has come off her hard top.

The guy said that to do it right, the whole top should be repainted, and his estimate was $278.

He faxed the estimate to my dealer, and I am supposed to find out tomorrow if Chrysler has approved it.

I sure hope that it will be a one day job! I would really love to be able to drop her off on my way to work some day and pick her up after work on the same day. They have loaner cars at this body shop, but I'd rather be driving my little girl!

Too bad it is winter- otherwise, I could just leave the top at the body shop and drive her topless until they were through.

The top is extremely smooth and slick where the paint came off, so I guess there wasn't anything for the paint to stick to there.

Later, Jeep buddies

tsjay

• desertfoxxdesertfoxx Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for checking your converters. 3 converters on an inline 6. Who would of thought that? I still don't see how they got such a relativley large horsepower gain out of that. They must be extremely free flow cats. Maybe they increased the piping diameters or something.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Well I just bought a new jeep wrangler last week. got the sahara in senna with the tan top both hard and soft tops. This is my first wrangler
    I currently also own a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee limited. When I was looking at the wranglers I couldn't decide weather to get the auto tarns or the five speed but in the end I went with the auto and it's not bad. I bought the wrangler just for a something to have fun with and so far it's been a blast. By the way the dealer sold me mine at invoice.
    Congratulations on the Wrangler! Sure seems to be plenty of new Wrangler owners showing up in this group lately, and that's great.

I'll bet you're out west somewhere, judging by the time of your post. Either that, or you're a real night owl.

It's strange, but I also am a current Wrangler owner and a past '99 Grand Cherokee owner too. You still have your Grand Cherokee, but I traded mine back in March of 2000 for a Grand Prix, before trading the Grand Prix for my Wrangler in December.

What kind of luck have you had with your Grand Cherokee? I loved mine, but I did have some problems with it, mainly brake rotor problems. There sure seems to be a disproportionate number of lemons in the Grand Cherokee population. Those babies are sure pretty and really nice SUV's, if you happen to get a good one.

Unless you have previously owned a Wrangler, I'll bet you never knew that a vehicle could be so much fun. I love my Thelma Jane!

I hope you will be an active poster in here. Be sure and post a link to some pictures of that new Sahara!

Once again, welcome and congratulations.

tsjay

Congrats on the new Sahara. I wanted to buy off of the lot so I could be driving mine now. Im too picky I guess and had to order. Dealer is saying 1st week of March.

tsjay Hope everything is well with your health,and good luck w/ Thelma Jane. Keep us posted on the progress. I wiil also let yall know updates and progress on Hoss
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    You lookin at any local jeep clubs?
    I joined JNT in north Dallas. There is a big club in Fort Worth as well.

See http://www.jeepn.com
    http://www.cowtownjeeps.com
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    toddole & mailman_12_3

Check this site for any TSBs on your problem

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
  • catnip2377catnip2377 Member Posts: 42
    Then go and sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hds2/petition.html

I havent looked into anything as of yet on clubs. Im in a bass club now. That plus work is sending me out of town quite a bit. I will check the sites for info. Im sure it would be alot of fun.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    How about posting the 800 # for me. I have an 810 number that has not been getting through to a live person (VM not returned). I think it may be the number used to track vehicles that are on the way to the dealer. We ordered our Sport on 2/9, and I'd love to be able to see when it's leaving the factory.

thanks,
    -twylie
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    Bass like in fish, or bass as in "pump up da bass"?
    Bass as in fishin I work for a major electric co.
    near Glen Rose and its on a dang good fihin hole. Fact most power plants I visit are on some decent lakes. DANG THE LUCK!!

Question for anyone w/TJ 4.0 5sp. has any one pulled anything close to the 2000 lb. max and how did the Wrangler handle it.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    Question for you all: Do you prefer half doors, or full doors and why or why not. what are the pros and cons of each. Thanks!
    Before ordering Hoss, I test drove both full and half doors. Seems full doors are quieter with new soft top. My neighbor has the half doors and loves them. I prefered the full doors. Probably more preference than anything. My 02cents
    Hi Eagle! I got the hard top with my Thelma Jane, so I obviously got the full metal doors. I would have still gotten full metal doors, even if I had ordered my Jeep with the soft top.

The main reason for my choice of the full doors is the way the Jeep looks with them. I just think they look better with the full doors, but that is strictly personal preference.

On the practical side, I would rather roll down a window at a drive up window than to have to unzip a window. Also, I'm sure there is less noise with the full metal doors.

If I had the top off, I would want the doors off too, so in that case it wouldn't matter which type of door I had. I guess that's supposed to be the advantage of the half doors- that you can leave the doors on with the top down, but I would take the doors off anyway.

Doubt if this helps much, but that's the way I see it.

tsjay

Hey Everyone, my little girl got 19.0 MPG when I checked gas mileage after filling her up tonight after work!

That's the best she has ever done. It was just my normal commute to work and back on that tank of gas too- not a long trip.

For one thing, I think I'm doing a better job of keeping my speed down to 60 to 65 mph. Also, I guess she is still breaking in: she has 3500 miles on her now.

Way to go Thelma Jane!

tsjay

I gave her a BIG hug tonight!
    Way to go Thelma Jane!! I remember from reading several post back you were going to use Mobil 1. I to am considering this. Have you changed to M1
    yet? If so any difference?
    Thelma is going on Mobil 1 at 5000 miles, and then I will stay with 5000 miles intervals on oil changes. I do virtually no in-town driving, so with Mobil 1, I could probably go 7500 miles between changes, but I won't push it that far.

I like to break in an engine on regular oil and then switch to Mobil 1. I'm afraid that the Mobil 1 lubricates TOO well and might prevent the wearing-in of the moving parts if it is used before the break-in period is over. Somebody could shoot me down on that theory, I guess, but that's just my own opinion.

I know that Mobil 1 increased the gas mileage of my '94 Z-28 and gave me quieter cold starts.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep oday?
  • wleekewleeke Member Posts: 13
    Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, been so tied up with work and riding everywhere in that new baby girl!
    Monday we spent 4 hours at the 4x4 center trying to find out why there was such a "clunk" coming from the rear everytime I turned a corner or hit a small bump (Geez, you should've heard the big bumps!). Came to find out the rear shocks they put on when they did the lift were not long enough so they replaced them. She rides like a cream puff now!
    Spent yesterday for about 4 hours getting a Jensen CD/Cass player and new speakers installed. Boy, with that console bass it sounds great! Went with a receiver system that was designed for that big 'ol hole Chrysler makes for the radio and it's a perfect fit.
    Still waiting on the pics to return so I can post them.
    Have had nothing but rain here all week long and learning the Jeep handles very well on the wet streets and thru the massive water that collects during the down pours.

Does anybody have any problems with the full doors not shutting easy? Seems like I have to slam (or pull) mine kinda hard to get it to close properly. I don't know if this is normal due to inside pressure or maybe the door is still not aligned correctly. Any comments are appreciated.

EAGLE63: I ordered the dual top option with the full doors and then later thought about whether I was going to like the full doors with the tops off. I checked e-bay and bought a pair of 1/2 doors and uppers for $575.00 off a 2001 Sport. I lucked out that the interior was the Agate just like mine, however I will be having them painted to match the Jeep, Patriot Blue.
    Hey wleeke what make and size tires are you running? I run Mickey Thompsons on my Z71 much heavier truck and have told dealer to put those my Jeep, but can still change my mind on tires. He gets them when Jeep arrives. I want tires that are predictable on wet roads as my wife has expressed her desire to drive Hoss to work about 40 miles one way to work on occasion. Alot of stop and go in DFW area.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Hey, folks, I just found your site (I'm not much of an e-guy). Can I join in?

I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler (last year before the TJ). You know - rectangular headlights.
    Over 5 years and 61,000 miles on the "YJ" as I call it.
    This is a basic Wrangler - 4cyl 2.5L in-line 4 (with fuel injection), red body, tan seats and tan soft top (no leaks yet), half doors (replaced driver side door skin - zipper failed). 4.11:1 drive ratio. Standard axles and tires, steel wheels. Cruises at about 58 MPH (where the law allows) at about 2,500 rpm (near the torque peak for the 4-banger, and a pretty calm zone for the engine vibrations).
    No ABS. No a/c, no p/s, no radio (until I installed one last week). My best milage so far is 23 mpg in hilly 30 mile round-trips to and from work.

I ordered my YJ in February of 1995 and took delivery in September of that year (longest wait I have ever had). Because of the timing, I have TJ bushings on my hood, rather than the YJ loops, and I think my soft top bows are closer to an early TJ than to the YJ. (There was no 1996 model Wrangler - the 1995 was the last YJ. TJ's appearing in 1996 were designated 1997 models).

manual steering (has slower ratio (24:1) which is good for this short wheelbase vehicle).

soft top - much fun - took my daughter and her friends to the drive-in "topless" - the road noise is a "feature" for me not an annoyance - I call it "the song of the road"

4WD - part-time "command-trac" is a solid lock-up between front and rear axles. I bought it for the snow (which we do get in NY state) and it is much more sure-footed than any 2WD vehicle I have driven in winter. (I bought my wife an AWD minivan, and that is quite confident in the snow, too.) I also use studded snow tires (4) in the winter - unbeatable for ice.

Low range - I used this once, when I passed a bus that had slid off the road. I felt connected to the road at a glorious 2 MPH as I inched around.

Actually, the YJ has a tendency to slow down (when you let off the accelerator) that is more pronounced than on other vehicles I have driven. This "compression braking" (as we used to call it) lets me drive on snow without any braking at all and with a good feeling of control.

Stiff springs - rides like a kangaroo, but it corners flat (without a lot of body lean) and I like that feel.

Upright seating - more comfortable for me than the more reclined positions of sedans.
    The upright arrangement allows my tall teenage children to sit in the back seat without hitting their knees - not bad knee room for a small vehicle. Head room is generous. Hip room in the back seat encourages dieting (the rear fenders in the YJ are squared off - the fenders in the TJ are more rounded, allowing a few more inches of hip room in the rear seat - but I have two small "shelves" on either side of the rear seat - you would be surprised what can fit there).

Bumperettes - cute little metal circles on the rear frame that take the place of the rear bumper - go all the way back to the "MB" WWII military jeeps. You TJ guys may not even know what they are.

Dislikes:

Gas filler tube - behind the license plate - inconvenient for me because I have only one hand - devised a prop to hold the spring-tensioned license plate down so I could pump the gas. However, the low position of the tube makes spillovers too common unless attention is paid to the fueling - the automatic shutoff does not work quickly enough with the low location. TJ tube is much better.

Windshield wipers - straight, like the "old" jeeps, rather than bent like the TJ's (and all cars). These wipers stop in the middle of the windshield, as they had done for jeeps of the preceding half-century. Not a real issue for visibility, but an inconvenience when cleaning the windshield.

Parking brake - had desired a center-pull hand brake, but I got a foot-operated pedel on the left side.

Tires: my stock Goodyear Wranglers lost traction (but not all of their tread) at about 35,000 miles. The rear wheels slipped out twice before I got the hint and bought new tires (Michelins). Good traction so far with the new skins.

Recirculating ball steering - sloppy - with the short wheelbase, it means that one has to pay a little attention to where one is going. This vehicle has no strong desire to track straight - short wheelbase. Rack and pinion would be more precise, but I think Jeep engineers feel that the r&p setup is too fragile for off-road.

Accessories:

Engine block heater - ordered with vehicle

Side step bars - got them when my daughter almost tripped over the door sill.

Radio - aftermarket - amateur installation (me)

Poor man's add-a-trunk - piece of wood divides rear into lower (hidden) and upper compartments - keep tools, mostly, there

I have a bungee cord on the parking brake handle. While driving, the cord keeps the handle pulled, so I can step on the parking brake while moving and use it as a real "emergency" brake. (This is not an issue with TJ's since the handle has a button that releases the rachet.)

"Club" anti-theft device - recognizing the lack of security of the soft top.

Battery cut-off switch - big knife switch right at the battery post - because the oil filter is uncomfortably close to the starter electrical contacts. I also take my wedding ring off when I change the oil (every 2,000 miles) because I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy. This switch can corrode - a little sand paper every now and then helps get juice to the starter and the other electrical customers.

Don't think I'll be upgrading to the TJ any time soon - I like what I have. I just wonder, though, whether the TJ suspension has as little body lean as the leaf-spring YJ has. Has anyone driven both of them?

Happy jeeping from an old YJ.
    I have noticed a similar condition with my doors not wanting to shut properly and in my case it is inside pressure. Try rolling down the windows and see if it still happens. When a window is down in my TJ the doors shut really easy.
    Of course you can join us! All Jeepers are welcome here. I wonder why so few people with the YJ's post in here?

Sounds like you really love that YJ. That's good! I love to read posts from people who are enthusiastic about their Jeeps.

What in the world took so long for your Jeep to come in? Ordered in Feb. and took delivery in Sept.???

Welcome, yjbob!

tsjay

• ronrizzronrizz Member Posts: 4
    Greetings!
    I browsed most of the posting this month, and it looks like I can pick up some good tips.
    My Jeep loyalty goes back just 13 years. My first Jeep was an 88 Cherokee, Pioneer pkg.
    Before that I had owned several Subaru's. My Subarus were good dependable 4x4 wagons. But when I could not get out of a parking space that was bordered by a 12" snow drift I decided that I wanted something bigger.
    Jeep came to mind. In 1988 the term SUV was not yet coined. Most anything with 4 wheel drive then was called a "4x4". Now, 4x4's are those small things you ride during hunting trips. 1988 was also the year Chrysler bought the Jeep name from AMC. I kept the same Cherokee for 12 years, and 160,000 miles. Not once did it ever break down. I changed the oil regularly, followed the mx schedule to the letter and kept up with the problems as they happened. The paint started to peel after 9 years. But, I still washed it and kept it waxed so that the rust would not set in.
    So impressed was I with the Cherokee that I wanted another Cherokee, but I did not like the rounded edges and the interior appointments seemed of a lesser quality.
    I was considering a GC. My wife reminded me that I mentioned over the past 8 years that I'd like to get a "Real" Jeep one day. I got an excited feeling at the thought of driving a Wrangler so I looked into it more.
    Around Feb/00 I ordered a 00 Sport 5 speed 4.0. Forest Green, 30" stock wheels, dual tops( black ) and black fenders. I preferred the black fenders because I imagined any driving through brush and mud flinging on the fenders would be less damaging to the black fenders than painted ones. Also, adjacent cars can open their doors onto my fenders all day and not harm my Jeep's exterior.
    This car is so easy to maneuver in tight places. I was amazed at how the Wrangler almost seemed to catch it's back end in a tight turn. The Wrangler can fit in parking spaces that the larger SUV's couldn't even drive through.
    I am a father of 2. The wife drives a mini van. The Wrangler is a great second car for us. I've driven it long distances and it'll swallow the gas. But, if I just drive the 10 miles to/from work 5 days a week then the 20 gallon tank of gas will last me a month.
    Some time in the future when the stock tires need replacing I want to consider lifting it and using larger tires. But the issue of a spare tire comes to mind. Only a 31" tire will fit under that 3rd brake light above the spare and it is the law that if the car comes equipped with that 3rd brake light that it must stay there. So maybe I can find an after market kit that can relocate that 3rd brake light thereby allowing me to carry a matching spare.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    To answer your question I have had a couple problems with my 99 grand Cherokee in 38k hi of driving. I have had three sets of brake rotors replaced which they did cover, I had to have a fuel pump replaced. But other than that no major problems I know a lot of people were having trouble with noise but I never have. I think the grand Cherokee is a great vehicle. But getting back to the wrangler. when I went to the dealer that I decided I was going to deal with, I was planning on ordering the wrangler I wanted , but they had on the lot just what I wanted so I didn't have to . The only thing I was undecided about was to go with the 5 speed or the auto and I ended up going with the auto. So far I have just over 300 hi on my wrangler and it's a blast to drive no problems yet.
  • wleekewleeke Member Posts: 13
    HOSSTJ : I went with 32x11.50 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A. The only thing I'm trying to decide now is whether to change out the wheel flares as the larger tires toss up quite a bit of rain water on the side since they extend out.

2001 Wrangler: Yeah, I had thought of that, and your right, they do close better when a window is cracked...opps, I mean open, slightly. The service guy at the dealership said they don't like to adjust the doors too much because it can cause leakage problems, therefore I agreed with him that I would just get use to closing the doors harder rather than risk a leak.
    I am still waiting on my Jeep. I have ordered it and dealer will install lift and tires 33x12.5x15.
    He has 2 on lot 1 Sahara and 1 Sport both with same type of tire and wheel combo. He includes 5 full size tires and wheels. Spare is mounted where stock tire and wheel are mounted and no modifications. the 3rd brake light is still intact. I questioned about the bracket and how it was mounted due to the much bigger tire and wheel,he said no problem,he has done this for years. Worth checking out.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    All of you with cracked windshields: I had a 97 that did the same thing. Crack started at the base below the rubber in the center.

Here's the good part: The dealer replaced it under warranty. He used his knife and felt the entire length of the crack looking for abbrasion (this would indicate an impact), found none, and then said warranty covers it.

Wouldn't be surprised to find a TSB on this by now, since there seems to be many people with this problem.

Good luck - just keep trying service departments until one listens. Windshields ARE covered by defects in materials or construction.
    Hey twylie! Wow! You all did a ton of posting yesterday!!! I wouldn't have even seen your message had I not gone back to read everything I missed yesterday! That number is 800-992-1997....follow the prompts and eventually you'll get a live person....after the first few I usually just start hitting the "0" and get someone right away. I ordered my TJ on 2/7, just 2 days before you, so it will be interesting to see if we get our Wrangler's at the same time. Good luck with calling and let me know what information you get as you get it, we can keep each other informed that way.
    Hey everyone, I noticed a few of you talking about Grand Cherokees too. We have a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo that we love! Bought it new 3.5 years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. There was a factory recall on the front rotors, so we took it in and had it fixed under warranty....otherwise, not a single thing to complain about. We love it! It's my wife's truck. Just thought I'd let you all know how happy we've been with our GC!
  • wriver54wriver54 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, new to the board but have been reading for awhile. Just ordered a new 2001 Sport on Monday 02/12, got it for 100 over invoice and then the 500 rebate. I went with the automatic, full doors, soft top, canyon wheel group, air, 3.73 axle, d package etc. I went with Amber Fire Pearlcoat color. Anyway I thought I'd just do my first post. Take care everyone.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I wouldn't worry about the 3rd brake light. From what I read, the law says you must have it, it doesn't say it needs to be visible!

-- OR --

You could downsize one size for the spare (or just keep the current spare, or use a current tire for "new" spare). Hey, people use donuts for spares all the time. It is not like you'd drive cross country on it. Just enough to get you to a tire place, right?

good luck.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    hosstj
    I have not towed with any of my Jeeps. The reason for such a low towing capacity is because of the short wheelbase. The short wheelbase makes it real easy to lose control and total your Jeep, whatever your towing and anyone around you. Basically when towing use common sense. Don't tow 2000 lbs going 75mph on a wet interstate while tailgating someone. So you have a nice bass boat or what? You do know that since you're a new guy to the board that you have to take everyone out on a fishin trip or at least me? :)

eagle63
    Full doors: Makes a big difference in wind noise reduction. Rolling down your windows at the ATM and fast food is easier. I unzip my half doors before I pull up or open the door.
    Half doors: What is good about them is you can take them on and off where ever you are. So if is nice out, take the top off and top half doors off. If it starts to rain or gets cold put the top and doors back on. Also nice to be able to do this when your are out of town or on trips.
    I have half doors and would not have it any other way. You can get full doors and then get a set of full soft doors for $300 new.

yjbob welcome to the board
    I use to have a 93. There are some things about it I miss a lot. I actually like the floor
    e-brake. I hated seeing that the TJ had a hand one. The TJ has some body lean. It rides great.

wleeke
    I hate how the tires throw so much mud on the Jeep because they stick out. I don't want to spend $300 on new flares either. I may go with a skinner tire.

ronrizz Welcome to the board
    They sell relocaters for 3rd brake lights and you can also just use spacers. That is the easiest way. Spring spacers are a good and cheap way to get a small lift.

wriver54 Welcome to the board . I don't like many colors on Jeeps but I do like the amber fire.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    yjbob & ronrizz
    great, informative first posts. Welcome to the group and glad to have you aboard.

wriver54,
    Welcome to the group. I angled for the Amber, but got overruled by purchasing (married guys will get it). I thought it was very sharp and as unique as a Jeep should be!

tjy,
    thanks for the number. I called today and we're in scheduled build state but I didn't get a date. I did get the VIN from them. Will keep you posted (no more than weekly as a courtesy to the other posters).

Placing my first Quadratec order this weekend: Duravent cover, wheel locks (do the ones they sell fit the Canyon wheels?), Smitty sure steps.

-twylie
    I called today too and got the same answer....in fact the guy I spoke to on the phone said because it had been assigned a VIN, but does not yet have a build date means the factory is probably idle this week. He told me to try back again next week and he should have a set build date on it....once it's built or has a build date, they can estimate a ship date.......we'll see, but of course the sooner the better!

In the meantime, funny you should mention being overruled by purchasing regarding the Amber Fire....I angled for it as well, think it's really distinct...perfect for a Jeep, but had to let that go to keep the 5spd manual transmission....oh well, can't win 'em all! Hee hee hee.......
  • toddoletoddole Member Posts: 3
    Well, I picked up my jeep yesterday and to my amazement, my cracked windshield was covered after they inspected the car. I am extremely pleased with Jeep's timely service although the problem I had was an inconvenience. I have nothing bad to report of their service thus far after owning my jeep. If anyone has this same problem, take it to their dealer and you should be covered. Thank you all for your comments - Later
    Hey texasjeep what part of Gods country OOPS, Texas are you from? I use to travel all over Texas fishin, Had to slow down a little w/new job about a year ago. My folks live 30 miles east of S.A. where I was born and raised.
    I have a 19 ft.Bass Hawk boat,175 h.p.Merc.w/200 intake and carbs.on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. My Wife had a 94 Cherokee w/4.0 pulled the boat fine. I understand about the short wheelbase of the Wrangler. I think the boat weighs nearly 2000 with trailer and gear. I only will pull the boat approx 30 miles one way not even on freeway. I kept my Z71 for the long haul.
    Welcome! hope the 1st post wont be your last. We need to hear updates on your TJ. i am still waiting on mine. I have refused to call and get any status. Dealer did call and give me update. Loaded on train today, looks like two weeks out yet. The first week wasnt too bad, last couple of weeks have been tough.
    I have 33x12.50 BFG AT's on my TJ and I bought the 3rd brake light relocator from http://www.quadratec.com It was only about $12 and it moves the light up out of the way of the larger spare tire. You can see a pic of the rear of my TJ at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426591&a=10683235
    Well, the body shop's estimate was within the DC allowance, so Thelma Jane will go into the shop on March 5th.

I don't know how I am going to make it for a couple days driving a loaner car instead of my Thelma!

That shop that she's going to does fantastic work, so I have every reason to be optimistic about the quality of the work.

For all of you new buddies in the group, here's a link to Thelma's web page.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

At no extra charge, you can also check out my granddog's page:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

My Granddog and my Jeep: my two best buddies in the world!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep and your dog today?