Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Toyota was ignorant for too long. I hope that Toyota learn the lesson and it will bring more competition on the car market
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    edited February 2010
    Pretty much my thoughts...This will make a bad situation worse. I was wondering where that "internal" document came from?...(part of what they turned over to congress?).

I wonder what awaits the gas pedal shim fix!

“Unfortunately, this document is very telling,” Olivia Alair, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Department, said in a statement. “We’re going to hold Toyota’s feet to the fire and make sure they do what’s necessary.”

If that attorney's documents are the real deal it can only get worse...I agree that Lexus was "shielded" and will soon be "in the news"

On the other side, I would bet there are many internal docs that the other car companies do not want the public to see!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    gizzer...I'm certain that there are internal documents that auto manufacturers don't want anyone to see. However, to ballyhoo the money Toyota saved by delaying and circumventing safety issues (ones that the other manufacturers had to comply with) isn't going to endear the company to anyone. Particularly, given the injuries and accidents that transpired because of those issues.

Who even knows how many people that weren't counted, that complained about UA, braking issues, etc, that Toyota or their dealers dismissed out of hand?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited February 2010
    I agree 100%...thanks

BTW...In case you have not seen it...there is also a federal Grand Jury investigating them now and requesting Documents,(as you foretasted)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Maybe that is why they want Toyoda in the states. Cuff him and charge him for Criminal negligence. The next few weeks should be interesting.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    They may have trouble imposing their will on toyota because it is a foreign company. If toyota were required to operate as a totally US company then the congress might have better control over them as they did with the US manufacturers and ridiculing them into driving to DC.

I wonder what was the last time any congressman from farther than Pennsylvania drove to DC for a session? Even Murtha had his own subsidized jet airport.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    folks,the problems that toyota is haveing now has been along time in comeing.i owned many toyota cars in the 80's and early 90's when most of these cars were built in japan and all of of them were bullet proof needing only regular maintanence and all of them went over 100,000 miles with no major problems to speak of.84 celica,88 celica,and 91 camry.the problem here is that when toyota shifted production of their vehicles to the united states the quality also suffered as well.because of toyota's past reputation with quality and dependability they were still able to bring in custumers while building a much inferior product and they were getting away with it for some time.now the percentages have caught up with toyota and you see what's happening.problems with camry tranmissions,brake pedals,corolla steering issues,ect..these problems never existed when toyota built all there cars in japan.
    Just in

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN2220228420100222?rpc=44

There are probably BIG bombs in those documents
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    In my opinion it is very simplistic, very wrong, and maybe trendy to allege that the current problems with Toyota vehicles are due to Toyota moving final-assembly/production to USA from Japan.

And how many posts here say something like this:
    "I owned four 1980s Toyotas and they had no problems, so I know for sure that all the current issues with Toyotas are ______". :shades:
    These issues cover cars made in Japan, in the U.S., in China, and in Europe. So, it's pretty much company wide, regardless of the country they were made in.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    it seems Toyota has different product standards for JDM manufactured vehicles and NA produced.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    Here is link to ABC News report - Dave Gilbert University of Illinois Professor Auto Technology Department claims found flaw in Toyota electronic throttle system. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH VIDEO AS DEMONSTRATES WHAT HAPPENS DURING INDUCED SUDDEN ACCELERATION INCDENT AND BRAKES WOULD NOT WORK FOR ABC NEWSMAN DRIVING THE TOYOTA VEHICLE. THIS IS JUST OPPOSITE OF WHAT TOYOTA HAS CLAIMED - FIRMS THEY HIRED COULD NOT INDUCE EPISODES. BUT LOOK AT WHO TOYOTA HIRED - EXPONENT. THEY ONLY PROVIDE WHAT THEIR CLIENTS NEED. REMEMBER MOVIE ERIN BROCKOVICH MOVIE - WON BIG LAWSUIT AGAINST PGE POLLUTION CHROMIUM AND POOR RESIDENTS OF HINCKLEY, CALIFORNIA THAT HAD HIGH INCIDENTS CANCER. EXPOSED BIG PGE COVERUP & INFILTRATION LOCAL OFFICIALS. PGE USED EXPONENT AND THEIR FORMER VICE PRESIDENT DENNIS PAUSTENACH TO DO FRAUDULANT SCIENTIFIC STUDY CONTRADICTING PAST EXCELLENT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH SHOWING CHROMIUM DOES CAUSE EXTREMELY HIGH RATES OF CANCER, ETC... TOOK 1O YEARS TO PROVE FRAUD. AND I DO KNOW MORE TOO.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-recall-electronic-design-flaw-linked-toyota- -runaway-acceleration-problems/story?id=9909319
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You've got to wonder why Toyota engineers couldn't discover this when after just a few weeks a university professor has? This could potentially be a game changer.
  • gwjohns45gwjohns45 Member Posts: 1
    Honda has a emission problem that they have been avoiding, because it is a cash cow for them. Honda's on board computer will tell you that Catalytic Converter is bad, but it is not. The HO2 sensor is not meeting Honda Spec's. After spending $2,500.00 for Honda Dealer ships telling me what is wrong with my Odyssey. I purchased my own Honda service manual and found out the Honda tec's were not doing the proper diagnosis.

I have purchased both after market and Honda HO2 sensors. The Honda HO2 Sensor did not meet Honda’s own spec coming from the box. When I showed this to the person at the parts/service desk, I was told “we just install the parts the computer tells us is bad.” I use to speak very highly about Honda but not any more. Also I own a Honda ATV, there is a recall on the Tie Rod for it. I took it to the dealer to have them replaced, 450 miles total miles on this ATV, the left side needs replacing again.
    :mad:
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    okay that was random!
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Well, it now appears that driver error, floor mats and sticking accelerators MAY have to take a back seat to Prof. Gilbert's electronic demonstration.

The hearings this week should get extremely interesting. I think Toyota is in deep trouble, and may finally have to "fess up" to a real and very costly problem.
    I don't know for sure. Could be lots of reasons. As I said if they always use a firm like Exponent, one that only supplies reports supporting their clients then reports will say no electronics problems. Corporations, government, drug companies do use corporations like this all the time. And they are quite difficult to deal with, because they do their job well. I am a medical professional and analyzed medical research - saw same thing. Exponent does work in this arena as well.

Since this professor was able to induce problem with electronics in lab - could be real possible big problems. Also states he could not induce problem with other auto manufacturers cars - forget which one.

Biggest question is how this will be presented at congressional investigation hearing tomorrow? What will Toyota even say at hearing since they now have federal supoena into possible federal criminal charges?? SEC investigation too??

Gosh - I was really pulling for Toyota, but when I heard they hired Exponent - go oh no. Knowing Exponent's total disregard for real human health risk exposures from corporate toxic pollution - I was just shocked & so disappointed Toyota was using Exponent. I live in California so their inolvement with PGE pollution of chromium into environment causing very high cancer statistics, deaths, congenital defects, miscarriages, etc. is remembered well.

I just ask what is going on??? Toyota announced they were installing brake override on all models by 2011 - announcement made November 25, 2009. This was before pedal fix recall. Somehow this can appear they knew they had problem? Brake override would negate any incidents UA.

Saw Toyota has extra lobbyist working hard in Washington now. How much will politics and political money come to play into this investigation??

All I know is the video demonstration showing ABC newsman driving Toyota vehicle in a lab induced UA incident was indeed scarey. Brakes did not work newsman said. Professor said felt situation dangerous.
    Yes, Professor Gilbert's findings may prove difficult to deal with. But Toyota does have hired Exponent to help here if they can. Can Exponent's engineers fight Professor Gilbert's findings on such short notice???
    Brake override would negate any incidents UA.

Maybe it will, and maybe it won't. I am leaning toward two of our engineers with a lot more experience than I have. If the sensors that Dr. Gilbert shorted together to cause UA are not showing up in the diagnostics. Would the brake over-ride feature see them and be able to negate their hold on the WOT? I think it is up to Toyota to make a failsafe DBW system. What really has me upset is the fact that so many people have had these anomalies and when they tell the Toyota dealer they basically call them liars because their diagnostics say everything is Hunky Dory. Now we KNOW that faults can occur that do not leave any trail for the technician to follow. That kind of takes the dealers off the hook and tosses it right back at the Toyota engineers.

If I was the NHTSA I would shut Toyota down until they can prove their DBW systems are safe for our highways. If the NHTSA has lost all their talent to Toyota, hire some non partisan University to do the testing. It is obvious there is talent out there capable of finding the electronic problems that Toyota seems clueless to find or are hiding them.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Just saw on ABC Nightline that Toyota wants to meet with Prof Gilbert and has invited ABC to be present. That could be interesting.

What is really going on?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    >I think it is up to Toyota to make a failsafe DBW system. What really has me upset is the fact that so many people have had these anomalies and when they tell the Toyota dealer they basically call them liars because their diagnostics say everything is Hunky Dory. Now we KNOW that faults can occur that do not leave any trail for the technician to follow. That kind of takes the dealers off the hook and tosses it right back at the Toyota engineers.

As minimal and cheap as the computer seems to be based on its not sensing that the two pedal sensors are shorted together, I wouldn't trust toyota to come up with a computer-controlled brake override. It needs to be a system separate from their main computer that can't record anything.

The chickens are coming home to roost:
    Back in 2002-2003 I started commenting about minimalization of parts for the mass-marketed Camry and Accord. I think SIU by following logic to determine where the sensor problems might be ignored by the minimal computer, has found the door to the chicken house.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    I think that university professor was discovering the problem. Toyota engineers was looking for a way how to hide discovered problem "Toyota, - moving forward, even if you trying to stop" ;)
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    Nice video, Great to know, thanks for posting it.
    Fred
    Toyota Challenges News Report On Car Fault
    link
    1:45pm UK, Tuesday February 23, 2010

Toyota has challenged US broadcaster ABC to let it see a vehicle used in a news report that appeared to replicate a sudden acceleration fault.

In the damning report, Dr Dave Gilbert, a professor in car technology, induces a short circuit in a Toyota Avalon.

It generates a sudden boost of power and gives the driver the sensation that the brakes do not work - but after the car has stopped, no error codes are reported by the onboard computer.

"I am dead serious about this. This is something that should not happen," Dr Gilbert tells reporter Brian Ross.

Responding to the report, Toyota said it had spoken to the professor about his concerns - but that these had featured a different vehicle and a different problem - which would "not cause unintended acceleration".

"Toyota was surprised to learn that Mr. Gilbert appears now to be making a different claim regarding the electronic throttle control system and in a vehicle other than as described to Toyota last week," the carmaker said.

Just maybe Dr. Gilbert did not make all his evidence known to Toyota before they were aired on ABC. As an exclusive the the Network that is willing to tell the truth even when it has cost them advertising money. Just how far will Toyota go to stop negative evidence. We know they have hired a hack outfit for damage control.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

Awww, how nice of them.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "Toyota was surprised to learn that Mr. Gilbert appears now to be making a different claim regarding the electronic throttle control system and in a vehicle other than as described to Toyota last week," the carmaker said.

Just maybe Dr. Gilbert did not make all his evidence known to Toyota before they were aired on ABC.

Oh no, something smells fishy and it's not Toyota. That's why research is normally reviewed, published and then others try the same thing to see if the results can be duplicated. None of this letsgetitontv or youtube and maybe Congress will buy us a free lunch.

John
    That's why research is normally reviewed, published and then others try the same thing to see if the results can be duplicated.

You mean like the two week window Toyota gave Exponent to disprove there are electronic issues with SUA? I am sure Dr. Gilbert and the Avalon in question will be scrutinized by many people over the next few weeks. This is no little smoking gun. If it can be proved that two sensors shorted together will cause UA with no error code. Toyota has a lot to explain. I would not let them off the hook with their flaky EDR either. But then, I am more concerned in finding the truth than defending Toyota. To me the customers have been maligned by Toyota and their dealers. Time for Toyota to pay the piper.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Toyota has gotten itself in serious trouble. I am hoping that Toyota gets some very stiff fines from the government. Toyota lied about the problem and lobbied whomever to bury the real issue, thus putting the driving public at very serious risk. I cringe every time I see a Toyota wondering if that vehicle will take off and kill me.

I have a good friend in Louisiana who has had two Corollas and when he goes to buy his next car, Toyota will not be on his short list.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Keep in mind that the two sensor outputs were artificially shorted together and the gas pedal was intentionally held down for the test. Not by any means trying to side with NipponDenso/etc, but who cares if the computer doesn't record an anomaly for such a RARE event.

Just how often would it be expected for the two sensors to get shorted together...??
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Just saw on ABC Nightline that Toyota wants to meet with Prof Gilbert and has invited ABC to be present. That could be interesting.

I think this is good news really. Toyota needs to get open and upfront with its customers. When Ford had the issue with the tires and flipping Explorers, Bill Ford stepped up and said regardless of the finger pointing, Ford sold the vehicles and will replace the tires. I'm hoping Mr. Toyoda does the same. Fix the computer glitch and develop a failsafe way for brake override. In the long term this will help Toyota actually. Customers will regain trust in the company and lawyers will run into obstacles suing them down the road after implementation. Personally, we owned one of the affected Explorers. Initially we were pretty upset with Ford. But after Bill Ford and Nasser stepped up regardless of Firestone culpability we felt better about the company and have continued buying their products (but not Firestone who seemed to just wanted to blame Ford). We own a Camry and have had previous Toyota's. Ultimately, the way Toyota handles this will affect our decision on buying another in the future as well. In the long run, company "actions" have more impact on consumers than the media. Media is more of a short term affect.
    Yes, reminds me so very much of the American Tobacco executives.
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    edited February 2010
    Huh? Are you watching the current consumer who is testifying; Rhonda and Eddie Smith about their Lexus?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mrs. Smith hammered Toyota pretty good.
    edited February 2010
    Hammered? Looks like she simply expressed here experience with their Lexus and the lack of responsibility they received from Toyota. Unfortunately, this is just one example of many. How pathetic! 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and now 2010 is Toyota only beginning to say there "might" be a problem.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "but who cares if the computer doesn't record an anomaly for such a RARE event.

Just how often would it be expected for the two sensors to get shorted together...?? "

Once in a lifetime is the answer.

The objective of the test, shown on ABC, was to proof that system can be fooled into WOT acceleration and there will be no error recorded by the system.

If it was done properly ECU was fed garbage and instead of going into limp home mode it went Wide Open Throttle.

If this is true any embeded system software enginner will see it as faulty design. PC applications may behave 'garbage in garbage out' but not real time applications that control anything. 'Garbage in' must be detected and operator must be notified and 'limp home mode' activated if garbage in persists. This is why OBD2 flags O2 sensor failures. Readings are out of spec and operator is notified.

Krzys
  • steveayzsteveayz Member Posts: 28
    Lentz mentioned that 7 "on the road" Toyota models will get software flash for acceleration override when brakes applied. Does anyone knows what are these?
    edited February 2010
    Earlier in the Lentz testimony, for the first time (at least from Toyota) he mentioned that they also had issues with their cruise control modules "could cause acceleration surges that could be deemed SUA, too.

Actually, I feel sorry for Lentz. It's clear that all recalls are decided upon by Japan. And, that Lentz is pretty much kept out of the recall and engineering loop. Toyota is being secretive even with their U.S. President, their largest market. That is, if Lentz is to be believed.

All of Lentz's "I don't knows" are going to be followed by Mr Toyoda's "I don't understand" through his interpreter.

I'll make a prediction here. Congress is going to recommend the highest fine ever levied on a car manufacturer. They're going to require Toyota to install brake over ride systems on all Toyotas and Lexi from at least 2004 (maybe all the way back to 2001-2002). And, they're going to require a 3rd party oversight group to be employed in the U.S., paid for by Toyota, but answerable to the NHTSA.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    The objective of the test, shown on ABC, was to proof that system can be fooled into WOT acceleration and there will be no error recorded by the system.

No doubt one could accomplish this after probing the schematics of any modern car. Whatever, the most important recall activity is the one that upgrades firmware to include brake override. Audi's SUA issues disappeared after doing this and so will Toyota's IMO.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    S, it is very difficult to get up to date info on this "reflash", but I did read recently that my 2007 Avalon would be included in this software fix starting in April.

I have just talked to my Toyota service manager, and he says that "no computer reflashes are being done as part of the current pedal recall" for my Avalon, and he is only doing pedal shims at this time. I don't know what happened to the pedal reshaping.
    edited February 2010
    Yes, embedded in the firmware should be a test to assure that there is, "most of the time", a voltage output difference in the two sensors. That is not to say that once in a while the computer will/might read the same output voltage for both sensors especially when the gas pedal is being rapidly depressed.

So the test proves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

The WOT result was due to forcing both sensor outputs to indicate the gas pedal was fully depressed.

Strange...

Fault code P2138: Detection that the two sensor outputs are shorted together requires that the two sensor output voltages be within 0.02 Volts ( 20 millivolts..??)or less for 2 seconds or more. Given that the nominal voltage separation is 0.80 volts it seems to me that 0.20 volts would have been a much more reasonable fault voltage.

In any case I would agree that the engine control ECU SHOULD NOT have accepted a WOT command with both sensors at equal voltage, not even artificially forced equal voltage as was done.
    Pedal reshaping is supposed to be part of the floormat recall or so I have been told..I suspect the reflash will be months out IMHO.

Of course al depends on the dealer's workload! :sick:
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    I cringe every time I see a Toyota wondering if that vehicle will take off and kill me.

One solution...Avoid wondering aimlessly.
    Toyota’s slogan is STILL Moving Forward or shall we say STILL searching for the truth!

Its the consumer...
    Its the supplier...
    Its the floor mats...
    Its the pedals...
    Its Toyota? No, cannot be Toyota :shades:
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    If that is just RANDOM then tell us all why Honda Accords have such thin, crappy brake pads and rotors!!!! How about the bad purge control valves and lets not forget the bad leaky transmissions and for you stick drivers explain why cluthes go bad and 3rd gear grinds and requires extreme pressure to get it in gear????? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    no, your taking what I said completely the wrong way, I wasn't saying the issues with his Honda itself were random, but his trash post of Honda when this is suppose to be about Toyota and their recall not about Honda!! that is what I was referring to in regard to being random, his post about how bad Honda is in a forum full of posts about Toyota: there was no reason to post that in this forum since it had nothing to do with the subject at hand!

there are other forums on edmunds specifically about problems with Honda and their brake problems; that is where his posts should have been not here!
    Has anyone watched the hearing today?? I did, and have gotten some preliminary personal opinions forming. I was disappointed in Lentz's testimony and his lack of knowledge regarding the questions asked to him. Today Toyota story once again changed.
    (1)Apologies once again.
    (2)Made statement all engineering issues, recalls, etc. decisions made in Japan. Will be sort of a swat team set up for complaints. Also will be a special US sort of QA type group to be established.
    (3)Background is more business & marketing. Lentz oversees marketing in US.
    (4)Today now states recalls will not take care of all issues SUA & UA - seems to be using two different descriptions - And must remember
    Toyota got NHTSA to ignore/discard/eliminate from consideration SUA (high speed out of control complaints) in past which probably affected the future way Toyota problems looked at. Wow totally different from past statement - and video shown at today's hearing - him making those statements saying fixes would take care of the SUA/UA issues. Big contradiction! Statements made on their Website newsroom press releases contradict today's statement as well .
    (5)States could be other problems, etc. that cause UA/SUA
    (6)But at same time he says confident of electronics????? Toyota will always test??? Wow but they didn't until just recently when htey hired Exponent
    (7)Mentioned brake override to be implemented most autos by 2011 or end of 2010. Stated just for additional safety only. Confident of electronics.
    (8)Could not answer many questions regarding electronics.
    (9)Admitted no prior tests done on electronics - none were provided to congress for investigation except for Exponent who they just hired. Congress had asked. Tests were only very basic engineering tests done on only small sample of models. NOTE Toyota claimed publicly tests were done in past public announcements made and has said no problem found - electronics fine. Well no other past tests were done or were just not given to Congress, not sent to congress Lentz now admits today. Just Exponents???? Congress tore report apart!!! Said of no value at all. Faulty. Lentz claims they will do more tests in future??? Wow they have been investigating since August when San Diego accident occurred and all the heat was turned up.
    (10)Could not answer why they never took the accident/UA/SUA incident cars to run full engineering tests on. Find out why? One congressman said if he were CEO of Toyota that would have been his first approach. He said he would have gone to get the problem cars! Toyota did not do.
    (12)Talked about going forward all the time. Lots of apologies. And found him walking around quite a few of the questions. Avoiding a direct answer.
    (13)Had no good answer when asked - why brake override needed if no electronic problem? Just said system would be additional safety measure. Don't forget brake override announced on November 25, 2009 & before recall pedal fix. Congressman said makes people feel there is problem with electronics. Knows brake override will take care of any electronic problems.
    (14) Asked about Professor Dave Gilbert findings - he could in laboratory setting induce Toyota into SUA event - not recorded as error in system as error - nor would failsafe modes then be activated as a result..Said last night finally at about midnight hired Exponent was able to duplicate Gilbert's findings. He was gentle on what he thought, but left impression Toyota would have Exponent fight Gilbert's findings. Knowing Exponent's past history of being involved in producing & publishing a fradulant scientific study in California for PGE -(proven by some dedicated scientists I think- forget who proved- let's just say they could have cared less about chromium causing cancer and death - just went out to contradict good valid past scientific research - was big blowup & yes all for money.). Exponent is excellent defense group - just how they defend their clinets I feel is questionable??? My feelings seem to be they did it once, and now I question all of their defense studies/reports. As a prominant UCSF medical school doctor politely said - Exponent is not what he would consider as a neutral group when evaluating any of their reports/etc..
    (15) Avoided questions about how much Toyota was paying Exponent for their work??? Mention of $1,000,000 or more. ?? This came about because Sean Kane had paid Gilbert to help finish his work. But Biggest factor is Gilbert started project all on his own, had just bought a Toyota pickup. When he found out something, he called NHTSA, Toyota, and Kane. Kane at Safety Research and Strategy was only one who responded immediately. Kane only paid Gilbert $1800 plus $150 per hour - all approved by University of Illinois. NHTSA only sent email. Only was able to talk with Toyota one week ago. Kane just arranged all quite recently too. One other legislator had accused Kane of manipulating the facts for money. I personally go - h-mmm. Well so is Toyota paying Exponent. One other congressman said Exponent is more of a defense type group - asked why they used Exponent?? Of course no direct answer. Think I believe Gilbert over Exponent knowing their past history. Can't fool me with Exponent's reports!!!!!! Not after what they were involved in in past..

That is all for tonight. More to report but tired. Lastly - want to say personally I was not impressed with Lentz's answers or testimony. Seems like Toyota did drag all out & today seemed to indicate this even more. Even news stations are asking all the electronic questions too?? And Toyota never even addressed engineering tests until just very recently???? Only produced basic tests, which publicly they tried to claim in newspapers recently - no electronic problems found. Congress tore report apart!

Darn I was really hoping Toyota would have done better today. But just my personal opinion. Still would love having brake override flashed into my RAV4, but sort of doubt it will be available for me to buy flash.

Go check out CNN for tomorrow's hearing. They have it live.

NOTE-
    And 70% of Toyota complaints are still not addressed by recalls per congress today!!!! Mentioned multiple times!!! And no real answer/solution/finding/approach by Toyota? Just Lentz saying would continue working on
    Today Dave Gilbert said Toyota models were the easiest system to break into. Other manufacturer's systems more difficult. Toyota originally said system could not be affected, could not induce any problems, and always said error would be recorded. This was their claim. Gilbert said his step was only the beginning step ,shows how everyday factors could have possibly caused same events. Gilbert provided detailed report to congress of what he did. NHTSA does have two electrical engineers working for them. This will help with evaluating Toyota defense engineers attacks. Congress was encouraging Toyota to work with Gilbert as they felt would be quite good. Gilbert was receptive. Congress was quite interested in hearing from Gilbert. Gilbert got lots of questions. Well we shall see what comes next. Go CNN.com tomorrow - see it live on your computer.
    Today Toyota story once again changed

Today? That has happened everyday, for the past several weeks, months, and years on this issue.

Toyota - Moving Forward With An Ever Changing Excuse

I mean really, come on already LMAO!