Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    By Dana Hedgpeth
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, February 27, 2010; A11

The winds have been blowing, the roads are full of salt, and two fierce congressional hearings this week raised more questions than they answered about automotive safety, auto experts say. Looks like a good time to buy a car.

February has been a miserable month for local auto dealers. Snowstorms forced many to shut their doors on what should have been busy weekend days. The Toyota Motor Corp. has recalled about 7 million vehicles over safety problems -- the subject of the congressional hearings -- and the economy has not exactly encouraged customers to buy cars, either.

So dealers are turning on the salesmanship -- and offering incentives.

Depending on the region, Toyota is offering up to $1,500 off or zero percent financing on certain models. And rivals -- including Chevrolet, Chrysler, GMC, Ford and Hyundai -- are responding, offering up to $1,000 in some cases to persuade drivers to trade in their Toyotas and buy a different brand in what some consumer magazines have nicknamed a "Toyota conquest" campaign.

Toyota's market share dropped from 18.3 percent in December to 14.2 percent in January, according to J.D. Power, which said the rate of decline is starting to slow.

• carbuff1171carbuff1171 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2010
    You are right, actually this is a buyer's market for lots of things in this economy. One big difference between the auto makers incentives though is what happens after the sale, as is reflected in post #51: 2010 Sequoia Recall by glockfan.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Sharon....how do I know about Exponent? Well, as you might have guessed, I'm in the tech industry. As such, they've popped up every now and again regarding certain components in tech gear that I'm familiar with. Chiefly PCB, IC and ancillary parts used in computer based products. They were purported to be "consultants" to the manufacturers of these components as integrated into the products. In reality, they turned out to be little more than defense litigators when something went sideways with these component manufacturers.

I suppose I could make a leap here that their alleged expertise with PCBs, ICs, etc would transfer into what Toyota is probably going to be in litigation for regarding their UA, braking failures, cruise control failures as they relate to their ECUs, software, etc. But, in reality we really don't know what they're doing for Toyota except preparing some sort of study I'll assume has some relevance about their exhaustive research of their electronics and software.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    edited February 2010
    In Washington State (Eastern) the car lots were busy like a spring day with foot traffic walking through the lots looking and test driving cars. This was at Ford, GM, Mazda Subaru Toyota and VW in the area i was at. I went in for my recall on my Toyota ( 09 Corolla) and while standing outside I watched Camry, Corolla, RV4, Scion getting test driven. The lot lizards (Salesman) looked busy with customers and not in there normal groups of BS sessions. The one thing that may have help its been a mild winter this year ( last year 100+ in snow) and it was 52 degrees and sunny. Like you said many of deals out there no matter what bage is on the cars.

MNF
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just a place to begin looking.
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    Many thanks for letting know me how you too were aware of Exponent's role in this whole process. I was already aware of existing questions that could/may exist when evaluating any purported studies from them by my professional work background in medicine.

Here is a link to a report that best explains what happened here in California with PGE chromium pollution and Exponent, Dennis Paustenbach Exponent's former Vice President(Chem Risk). Note whole story to present is not revealed at time of this publication. http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/files/IJOEH_1202_Egilman.pdf

This is only one example. Just sent this example as Exponent involved and hired by PGE. Interesting what was eventually discovered and ultimately revealed. Exponent's involvement as hired by PGE. And many years later famous CA blue ribbon panel findings were thrown out - NOT IN THIS REPORT Scientific Study publication retracted- and then the displayed turf protection of those involved- NOT IN THIS REPORT . EWG is one site that has timeline and present status to understand/evaluate further. And more.

The court ruled against PGE a second time with this evidence. I have not researched further how/who was involved with uncovering the real facts. As a result California is in process of implementing law limiting chromium exposure. Since Hinckley and Kettleman area not distant from Mill Valley in San Francisco Bay Area where I live - just more aware.

Toyota - And I don't know how Toyota will use Exponent either. Truthfully seems all is speculative at this point. All may unfold as time passes. But since many of Toyota's settlements are reached w inclusive nondisclosure clauses we may never know. Toyota has used Exponent for some/maybe several of their past trials. May be using Chem Risk located in San Francisco too?? Others too???.

At congressional hearings Toyota would not disclose how much they pay Exponent, etc. I seemed to get impression some of lawmakers aware of Exponent and who they are. Clayburn - the former DHTSA head - in her testimony did make detrimental statement, but walked it back a notch when questioned further. Appeared to be possible attempt to avoid legal liability?? This particular lawmaker did appear to either have no knowledge of Exponent and was trying to get at truth, or he was attempting to defend Exponent and Toyota???? He expressed reservations about Clayburn's accusations re: Exponent and addressed such to her. Smile. I found myself paying particular attention to any mention of Exponent since I had many reservations myself.
    I was very pleased to finally see a study conducted over RECENT YEARS to analyze. This is very helpful. I could never find one done comparing all stats within DHTSA data base.

Edmunds thank you!!! Great F/U to the first one!!

Edmunds did find Toyota had highest number. Ford came 2nd. I particularly liked analysis done for complaints after the publicity came out. And of course multiple reasons for this. Some valid good reasons. Some not.

I had missed Feb 22 release.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/02/toyota-leads-in-nhtsa-unintended-acceleratio- n-complaints-edmundscom-analysis-shows.html
    From what I understand the new law will have EDR standards industry wide.
    Just reveiwing messages and found your post. I never looked at bottom of message!! Spell check is sure present. Sorry.

Thanks for helping correct.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2010
    Just reveiwing messages

You also have 30 minutes to, ahem, review and edit your post after you post it. :shades: :D Not that it really matters; we're all pretty fluent in chat typo around here.

The LA Times is continuing to hammer Toyota:

Toyotas, deaths and sudden acceleration
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I read the first 15 or 20 cases noted by the LA Times. I couldn't help noticing that many of the drivers were over 65. The fact is that many folks over 65 can't drive well. My father and mother became much worse drivers after 65. I'm 59 and I can't drive as well at night as I used to.

I think there should be a presumption that driver error was the cause of all the accidents involving drivers over 65. That would greatly reduce the number of alleged acceleration defects, perhaps to statistical insignificance.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    hmmm, I thought toyota had already "shut up" the L.A times? At least according to a certain toyota salesman that used to hang around here. I wonder where he is these days? I would think that he would have all the time in the world to be on these forums, cause we all know he is not busy selling cars :P mabey his dealership has all the salesman put to work in the service dept grinding pedals. :shades:
    Steve,

Saw the 30 minutes already. Thanks.

Yes, I saw this report from LA Times. They have been keeping the "heat" on Toyota. Also saw they appear to have found more possible accident deaths associated with SUA/UA of Toyota's from police/CHP, news, etc that were not reported. And not substantiated- but appears accidents/deaths exist though. . These reporters seem to be working hard. They have been getting some good reports out.

Make sure you give a special thank you to "the deserved" at Edmunds for the 2nd Statistical Data Study for SUA/UA done over recent years. I personally was very interested w one done over last three-four years. Could not find one earlier. And I missed Feb 22 release.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited February 2010
    Another part of the LA Times blast of Toyota. Looks like we are up to 56 dead as a result of UA. Whether machine or human caused. All past cases should be reviewed under the current light of information coming out.

Crash reports tell of horror 2-28-10
    Sudden and unexpected speed is a common thread in accounts of fatal wrecks involving Toyota vehicles, some of which haven't been recalled.
    At least 56 people have died in U.S. traffic accidents in which sudden unintended acceleration of Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles has been alleged, according to a Times review of public records and interviews with authorities.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-deaths-mainbar28-2010feb28,0,228237- - 6.story

I don't think ABC and the LA Times are going to give up on getting to the truth on Toyota UA. Who can say Toyota did not bring it on themselves with their cloak of secrecy and deception?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    That was my first thought after reading the first 20 or so some of the accidents sound like when my mother had her minor accident where she said not sure what happened. Thats not to say that all or some were because of age but you do have to take in account.

MNF
    Medical studies conducted donot support re: over age 65 theories - can not perform adequattely.

Must remember what you are saying - just forget about those people who died or were injured. Don't want them considered as their lives don't matter. US didn't tolerate when Audi tried it years ago. Seems public outrage ensues.

I know this is not what you meant.
    That's the part Toyota doesn't seem to get. The longer they linger and try to talk themselves out of this, the more first person reports are going to hit, and the further their reputation is going to be damaged.

At some point, you'd think they'd say..."OK, we understand, now."

However, the longer they keep turning a deaf ear to all of these maladies with their vehicles, the longer they'll pile up.

As it stands, they're walking on very, very thin ice the way it is. One more crash, especilly if it would include a tragic death in one of their affected (maybe I should say "infected" instead) vehicles, and it's going to enter into DOJ investigation, if it hasn't already.
    LOL
    Yes, I did see LA Times story. ABC too. Both have brought forth some good credible news reports. Wonder where 56 will go now???
    edited February 2010
    If it were not for the hard work by some of these folks at ABC and the LA Times, we would be relying on NHTSA's conclusions which have been pitiful.

I drove a Prius today and did my own little test, and I believe the logic below makes sense. Unlike most cars, hybrids like the Prius are "brake by wire" because the computer must decide whether to only apply regenerative braking or supplement with the real brakes. I theorized that a hybrid would be the most logical car to have brake override logic designed in. Sure enough, with my foot on the brake of this '08 Prius, the gas pedal did absolutely nothing. The engine was running but it did not attempt to rev or move forward even when flooring the gas. Foot off the brake, and the gas engine accelerated as expected.

So the Prius ALREADY HAS brake override programmed in, but Prius models HAVE numerous instances of unintended acceleration. Given that it has brake override, it should not matter whether a floor mat is is the way, or you have a faulty gas pedal. If your foot is on the brake, the computer is designed to bring the engine to idle UNLESS THE COMPUTER IS HOSED! If the computer is not responding to the brake by bringing these Prius' to idle, then it could easily not respond to anything such as the shifter position or the engine OFF button. At that point you are totally trapped in a runaway car.
    While age can certainly be a factor, it would be irresponsible to toss all the reports based on any age threshold. Chuck Yeager helped celebrate the 50th anniversary of breaking the sound barrier by doing it again in an F-15 Eagle at age 74. At age 87 he does limit his piloting to ultralights.

Each report needs to be evaluated on it's own merit.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >I think there should be a presumption that driver error was the cause of all the accidents involving drivers over 65. That would greatly reduce the number of alleged acceleration defects, perhaps to statistical insignificance.

Why not just say, "Ignore all the evidence." That's what toyota has done by its actions concealing evidence and working with NHTSA in less than forthright ways.

I find that idea that if people are over a certain age, they must have caused the accident just as offensive as telling people that there's no problem when they reported the incidents to the dealership and telling them they did something wrong and telling them to go on out the door.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

"In the 1980s, Audi became the poster child for Sudden Unintended Acceleration.

More than 1,000 consumers alleged that their Audi 5000 vehicles had accelerated without driver input; 175 had been injured, and four died in SUA crashes. The company denied that there was anything wrong with the vehicle and blamed the problem on shorter than average drivers who did not have much experience driving an Audi. These small, confused drivers had mistakenly depressed the gas pedal when they meant to step on the brake, Audi said. The response was a public relations and marketing nightmare. Audi sales plunged, and the complaints continued.
    P.S. - we can be sure that almost all cases of unintended acceleration are going to get headlines no matter what the make of car. Even though there is likely a comparable percentage of older drivers at the wheel of numerous makes, there has to be a reason that Toyota takes the prize.
    Sharon....using your "audi" UA numbers as a reference, that means Toyota has had over twice as many UA complaints. And, they've had they've had 8X the number of deaths attributed to their UA problems.

That WILL get everyone's attention, if we're using Audi as the baseline.
    I had just cut and pasted the info from a safety advocate site. Site has good info, and have verified some info. I realize numbers Toyota has are much higher. Toyota numbers given by NHTSA at 34 are 10 higher than big Pinto gas tank problem. And according to the new Edmunds Statistical Data Report 2/22 Toyota does have highest number of UA/SUA complaints. Ford is second. Refer back to my prior blog for Edmunds Report link.

Will something correcting this be done this time??? Will press pressure, internet, facts be enough?
    Found this article regarding information on EDR's - background - examples of Toyota approaches, etc.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/what%e2%80%99s-wrong-with-toyota%e2%80%99s-blac- k-boxes/

What does everyone feel about article? What do you see may be happening???
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You don't suppose folks over 65 might just have more driving experience to compare too and also a tad more time on their hands to pursue complaints, get involved in the tedious and onerous procedure...??
    The most damning part likely represent's toyota's attitude, despite what their lips say: "zal’s Lawyer, Donald Slavik, has been trying to get data from the car’s black box for nearly three years. He was told by Toyota that the data would only be provided if Mr. Slavik got a court to order the company to do so. Later, Toyota told the lawyer “the data in the black box was unusable.”"

Seems like the wife of Ted James had her Prius take off with her - just as you described. Colorado. Toyota blew them off. This is same gentleman Toyota awarded a $10,000 scholarship to for his outstanding work, etc. Family seemed to be big advocate for Toyota prior to accident. No more. And they are not suing. They are big community service individuals. Now they are advocates for protecting consumers to get Toyota to correct problems.

Here is 1a video that husband did after accident.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8QCHIavfY&feature=related
    Seems like Toyota just creates more suspicion. And legally they can get by with this. It would just be very easy to clear their good name if they wanted. Provide the data - other manufacturers already have. Mind-boggling!
    edited February 2010
    Audi sales plunged, and the complaints continued.

Audi sales went to near zero in the USA. It was not their fault except for the fact they made changes that did not make it easy for many people to drive their cars safely. Toyota has multiple problems that ARE their fault in most cases. What will it do to their sales? More than 20 years later there are still lawsuits with only 4 deaths claimed against Audi. How many years will it take Toyota to pay off the lawsuits associated with the mounting death toll, attributed to UA, faulty brakes and erratic steering? It is likely to go on for several decades and $billions. The cat is out of the bag and nothing to slow down the train. Toyota's secret society mentality is much to blame.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

What happened? I’m not sure, but here’s what didn’t happen: it wasn’t a “sticky e-pedal” since the Scion has an old fashioned throttle cable. It wasn’t floor mat entrapment, but it sure could have been before I cut the whole front section of my all-weather rubber mat off.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I can just see them smacking themselves upside their own heads in disgust when these fruitcakes started defaulting on their loans.

• kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    1. I remember the Audi problem because one of my friends had an Audi that was only a few months old when the problem was announced. He was upset but did not actually experience anything himself.
    2. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "It was not their fault except for the fact they made changes that did not make it easy for many people to drive their cars safely." Please clarify that if you would.
    3. And how is Audi doing today?
    Fact is the accidents exist. It is difficult for people who are alone to prove incidents really did happen.

The secrecy Toyota displays with their EDR information makes it impossible to legally prove. Toyota's excuse it is a prototype & per law don't have to release - raises many questions and produces suspicion. Toyota can therefore say whatever they want when attempting any readouts. No unbiased duplicate check to check on validity of Toyota's report. And their prototype may have been made purposely to deflect lawsuits?? Poor quality?? Legal defense - can't be proven, excellent total control strategy approach.

Good technology has existed for good 10+ years.

How can DHTSA justify taking 12 years to get a good new EDR law implemented?? So now it is susposed to be by Sept 1, 2012. Is DHTSA once again going to delay, extend this date as they already have done???

At hearing LaHood displayed ignorance/or didn't know about this law??? Toyota said they are following law, will implement, may do sooner??? Afterwards Toyota seems to be retracting some testimony given - may retract this too??
    "In the 1980s, Audi became the poster child for Sudden Unintended Acceleration. And in many ways, this vehicle’s SUA problem became the model of how these problems would be investigated by NHTSA, defended by the industry and used as the sine qua non of SUA myth-busting.

More than 1,000 consumers alleged that their Audi 5000 vehicles had accelerated without driver input; 175 had been injured, and four died in SUA crashes. The company denied that there was anything wrong with the vehicle and blamed the problem on shorter than average drivers who did not have much experience driving an Audi. These small, confused drivers had mistakenly depressed the gas pedal when they meant to step on the brake, Audi said. The response was a public relations and marketing nightmare. Audi sales plunged, and the complaints continued.

The Audi 5000 was the subject of an infamous 60 Minutes story, in which the news program attempted to simulate SUA. The broadcast drove Audi sales down further, and the network was heavily criticized for its one-sided story. As the history is often recounted today, NHTSA vindicated Audi and CBS never apologized for maligning the automaker.

However, between 1982 and 1987, Audi launched five recalls to address the problem. The first three attempted to fix what Audi had characterized as the driver-error problem by tweaking the pedal positions. The fifth and final recall for 250,000 1978 to 1987 vehicles added a brake-shift interlock – which requires drivers to depress the brake pedal before shifting out of the Park position.

The fourth recall was probably the most telling about the Audi 5000’s SUA problem. In 1987, Audi recalled 81,000 Audi 5000s from the 1986 and 1987 model years, for worn idle stabilizer units. As Audi explained to its customers: “The idle stabilizer has the purpose of maintaining uniform engine idle speed by regulating air flow under different operating conditions, such as variations in engine temperature, and on/off cycling of the air conditioner or power assist pump. Excessive idle stabilizer wear causes engine idle fluctuations which increase with the usage of the car. If a worn unit is not replaced in a timely fashion, the engine idle could ultimately see-saw so severely that it may surprise a driver who is not acquainted with the vehicle’s condition and fails to apply the brake. Under these circumstances, there is a risk of a collision in a confined space with the possibility of injury.” (In others words, dear driver, it’s still your fault.)

Audi received much of the attention, due in part to victims, who organized and advocated very effectively for themselves."
    First off, Audi is doing very well today. I think the end finding on the Audi UA was brake and throttle were too close together. This was by design for those that are sporty drivers. The problem is many drivers could not handle the way they designed it. It was long time ago and that is all I recall of the issue. Four deaths attributed to the Audi UA. We are now at 56 dead, being blamed on Toyota for UA. Everyone is watching Toyota and the NHTSA, so it will not be as easy to shuffle under the rug.
    I confirm Audi is presently doing well re: UA/SUA complaints lodged. My son and daughter inlaw just bought their big SUV. I can't confirm reliability status though. They do have brake override.

NOTE - Hyundai is already implementing brake override due publicity. All new models after February will have, except for just a couple that have cable systems. It is March1 now - so all new models manufactured from now on will have. NOTE - AND THEIR STATS ARE QUITE GOOD. BUT THEY IMMEDIATELY BECAME PROACTIVE- IMPLEMENTING. VOLUNTARY QUIET ACTIONS TAKEN MEAN MORE THAN TOYOTA SPOUTING JUST SYMPATHY WORDS - "WE ARE SORRY, OUR CUSTOMER ALWAYS COMES FIRST."

How can Hyundai voluntarily address so soon?? H-mmm this manufacturer seems to be quietly forging ahead & is gaining sales. My friends just recently got a Santa Fe and I was quite surprised. Interior quite nice, exterior great design. And please know I am not an advocate for Hyundai. Just saw this GREAT PR release.

Why can't Toyota can't address sooner??? Other manufacturers that don't have can't voluntarily either??? Most European autos have. Some American have too.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "Toyota has multiple problems that ARE their fault in most cases."

ARE? You have proof? No, you don't. You just have your Toyota jihad and your bias is showing again.

Why not wait on the facts. All of the facts.

John

P.S. - Audi sold what, a couple hundred thousand cars, and Toyota has sold tens of millions. No doubt Toyota has had 4x or 8x the number of complaints. I remember the Audi lynching well. And that's what it was.
    Sharon....Lentz and Inaba both made statements that they tried to retract. I'm sure Lentz wishes he didn't let that little blurb about faulty cruise controls slip out. Inaba tried to distance himself from the infamous memo regardign "$100M saved by circumventing and delaying safety reg implementation."

What will be interesting is if any criminal malfeasance is pursued (like obstruction of justice, perjury, or contempt, for example). Will the DOJ go after Toyota as a corporation? Or, with they target individuals like Lentz and Inaba?
    This is same gentleman attempted to check what Toyota claimed condensation, temperature conditions may cause a problem with CTS pedal. This gentleman took pedal put in freezing water - with electrical connection above the water line. Then put in oven and baked at 250 for I think 20 minutes. Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZ3gIfkBWM&feature=related
    ARE? You have proof? No, you don't. You just have your Toyota jihad and your bias is showing again.

The facts ARE. Toyota poorly engineered their gas peddle. That has been recalled and getting a kludge kind of fix. They have several million cars with a throttle controller that can stick due to poor use of materials in design. They have many unexplained cases of UA some of which HAVE been verified by Toyota dealers. The Defective throttle body controller that caused WOT. Plus the Brake issues with their hybrids. The steering with the newly designed Corolla. Is that enough FACTS for this discussion.

No Jihad. I am a Toyota owner with so so satisfaction and no UA to date. I am not thrilled with their DBW throttle on my 2007 Sequoia. Too many pauses and surges. Just a poor design I have learned to live with.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    That wait at car dealer can end up costly

That waiting room vigil was a vivid reminder that Toyota has a huge problem beyond the floor mat entrapment and the gas pedal: public relations, especially at the dealership level.
    Sharon....interesting video but not really surprising. I don't think many people who have kept up with this little fiasco ever believed this was a "sticky pedal" problem...especially after the Congressional hearings.

No one has come forward with a broken, or sticky pedal. Not Toyota. Not Toyota dealership techs. No one.

The "sticky pedal" fix, as well as the floormat "fix" was simply was the cheapest way to address the ever growing litany of problems related to Toy/Lexus UA. Not the "real" fix (which will finally be addressed with the inevitable reflash of the ECUs and EPROMs, adding brake over ride). That reflash, as stated, is not a fix for UA, it is a viable remedy.

Toyota is still trying to skirt this remedy on cars dating back as far as 2001 to save themselves a huge bill (even larger than the one they've got with the current 8.5M vehicles already recalled.

They're just going to have to recall them all over again.

I don't know how any company of Toyota's former stature could screw this up any worse.

It's like my parents always told me when I was a kid who did something wrong..."you can tell us about it now, and take your punishment. Or, you can try to lie your way out of it, and make it 10 times worse."

Toyota seems hell bent to make it ten times worse on themselves.
    edited March 2010
    >No one has come forward with a broken, or sticky pedal.

That is really odd that no one among all the defenders have said that they have a pedal that has been sticking in position and doesn't rebound smoothly. Not one.

If this were a problem needing fixed related to the sudden unintended acceleration wouldn't toyota have some people jumping onto forums saying the sticky pedal was their problem and toyota has served them well with its interest in their safety and has fixed their sticky pedal.

Ain't happened. :P

So scratch that as a real problem related to SUA.

Mats as a problem speaks for itself.

I'm looking forward to testimony under oath by toyota scientists and engineers.

I am not sure what will happen. I just realize some obstruction of justice appears to be present by past history, actions, statements, etc. Knowing it exists and being able to introduce solid legal proof to win in court is difficult.

Past history of DHTSA makes it appear the auto manufacturers have been treated with "kid gloves." But now new DHTSA heads over last year> Will they be different?? Manufacturers per their request, have been successful keeping detrimental information out of DHTSA system and from public. Etc.

This link best describes. And is about same as claimed elsewhere on other safety sites, and news releases I have seen. http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=2730

Politics, DHTSA, manufacturer corporations and lobbying and political money, consumers, US legal system, oversight committee investigation, media news pressure w secrets brought out. internet w wide dissemination of info,consumer advocacy groups, US unstable status, etc.

Inaba making a statement he didn't know about $100 million savings claim?? Said he has only been in position for one year. But wait - also confirms he has worked for Toyota for many years(I forget how many). Appeared to be legal protection stance strategy. Did he know?? I feel he did, his name is on memo. If he really has the "memory issues" he claims, he would be fired from his executive position.

Guess we wait, see what happens, and will have to try to analyze all for the truth. What do you predict???

You mean Toyota hired gun Exponent engineers??? Personally I would question any report from them. This is a defense firm for corporations. Don't forget the PGE chromium pollution involvement & proven misdeeds uncovered here in California.

Pedal Toyota fix recall claim does seem highly questionable!!!

Hope he comes out with another test demonstration.
    No one has come forward with a broken, or sticky pedal.

It is quite possible that Toyota came up with that to cover cases where no floor mats were involved. Like the Avalon in TX that roared into a pond and 4 people died. If they could have gotten the NHTSA to actually sign off on the Shim Scam it would have been a dirt cheap fix. With no one actually buying into the shim, what will be their next final fix for 8.5 million vehicles? With probably more than that being added with either a defective whatever in the DBW system or the CC. Was this the CC problem Lentz let slip during testimony.

TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 TOYOTA SEQUOIA. THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING AT 55 MPH AFTER RELEASING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL THE PEDAL NEVER RELEASED AND INCREASED THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE TO 90 MPH. THE CONTACT PUT THE VEHICLE INTO NEUTRAL AND SHUT THE VEHICLE OFF. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO PULL THE VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD AND CHECK TO SEE IF THE FLOOR MAT CAUSED THE VEHICLE TO ACCELERATE AND IT WASN'T. THE CONTACT RESTART THE VEHICLE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. THE CONTACT CALLED THE MANUFACTURER AND THEY INFORMED THE CONTACT TO TAKE THE VEHICLE TO A DEALER. THE DEALER PREFORMED A DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH THE VEHICLE. THE CONTACT FEELS THIS YEAR SHOULD BE ADDED TO RECALL NUMBER 10V17000 CONCERNING THE STICKY PEDAL. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 55,000. JO

As usual no error codes No Trouble Found. How convenient?
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    A bit OT but it does sort of fit in...when it rains it pours! Just an FYI for those with the affected autos! LIKE THE WAY THEY SAY IT IS NOT A RECALL! :mad:

Just announced

UPDATE 1-Toyota to replace oil hose in 933,800 cars
    Mon Mar 1, 2010 2:50pm EST
    Stocks

TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
    7203.T
    ¥3,295
    -35.00-1.05%
    12:00am PST

* V6 Camry, Avalon, Rav4, Lexus vehicles involved

Stocks | Cyclical Consumer Goods

* Fix part of 'Limited service campaign', not recall

* Oil hose may develop a hole, potentially causing leak

DETROIT, March 1 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) will replace an oil hose in some 933,800 vehicles in the United States due to the risk of a potential leak that if left untreated could damage the engine, the automaker said on Monday.

On some Camry, Avalon, Rav4 and Lexus vehicles equipped with V6 engines, the rubber portion of the engine oil hose may develop a small hole, potentially causing oil leakage and engine failure, Toyota said in a document sent out to U.S. dealers and obtained by Reuters on Monday.

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons confirmed the company had sent the document on a "limited service campaign" to U.S. dealers. He added the oil hose issue is not a safety issue and the vehicles are not being recalled.

Lyons said a leak would likely be noticed by drivers as an oil puddle beneath a vehicle.

The service campaign covers 2007-2010 model year Camry, 2005-2009 Avalon, 2006-