Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    We can't say risks are low. None of us know all the facts of this case. But I have seen videos on CNN of the road areas he was traveling. There appeared to be multiple curves along this stretch of road. Seeing that video did make me realize the exposure risk would increase due to this fact.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Most of the bottom-feeders in the legal profession would take these cases on a percentage plus costs basis rather than on an hourly rate basis. And it appears as if they're going after the MOTHER LODE - class action suits where anyone with any standing to sue gets very little and the attorneys GET RICH!!
    This is not the way California EMS laws are here in California. Thank goodnesss. CHP does not charge for rsponse. If a person is transported via ambualnce you or your insurance company will be billed though. This driver was not. Ambulace was dispatched due to his high anxiety level from the incident, and his cardiac history. This was reassuring to see EMS here in California working so well..

This particular case is valid incident as of today's date. CHP stated incident happened. CHP has not made any further announcements. . Investigation still ongoing. Final report will probably be published and released in the future.
    In this particular incident California law willk not provide any monetary win. No good attorneys would touch this case. He has no injury. Any psychological claims of little benefit unless therapy & then usually only for cost of visits. Courts don't look on these types of claims well. Vehicle has no damage.

There is no money to be gained in this particular case. Not addressing anyother suits. Can't as don't know anything about those cases.
  • jeffb1124jeffb1124 Member Posts: 13
    Too bad he didn't have a laptop along with him, before calling 911 he could have done a quick search on youtube and watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_03lbr-Jw&feature=player_embedded

Also answers the question if a Pruis can be shifted into neutral while accelerating and at higher speed, note she was going 80 MPH and full throttle, had no problem with the car accepting the move to neutral.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    doesn't answer the question of driving @WOT for an extended period of time then shifting into neutral.
    also, don't forget the vehicle in the video was operating normally.
    it was an educational video. neutral is just a flick to the left.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    This guy should pay and reimburse the city for that Medical Emergency and CHP response.

You are so far in left field it is a joke. And it is NOT illegal to use a cell phone in CA while driving. If you are using a headset or hands free phone.

Your cult like worship of ToyLex is noted. Toyota is finally getting their just dues for screwing customer for over 45 years in CA. Myself included.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..Furthermore, we do not know..."

...We,...we...? How many mice do you have in your pockets...??

The "guidance" involved applying the REAR implemented E-brake along with an upward incline in the roadbed. Since normal braking is heavily BIAS toward the front, front DRIVEN wheels, it might not have ocurred to the driver that rear braking, even "light e-braking, might be much more efficient at actual braking in this instance
    geez, nobody checked out my link.
    there was a runaway camry in the town next to mine today.
    "The brakes were definitely down to hardly any material," Neibert told reporters Tuesday. "There was a bunch of brake material on the ground and inside the wheels."

The officer found the floor mat properly placed and the accelerator and brake pedals in correct resting position

Per San Diego CBC report
    I did with the 76 year old lady and her Prius experiencing UA.

The driver, a 76-year-old woman, had been dropping off items for a tag sale at the church later this month when the accident happened, Plumley said. She tried hitting the brakes and putting the car in neutral, but it didn't stop or slow down

I don't think there are anymore of these incidents than there has been all along. It is just now they are getting National attention. Before the vehicle was hauled to the dealership. Computer reset and told nothing wrong with this car. See ya bye. We have had people report runaway Prius for years. The Toyota cult would call them every kind of idiot. And that is the last we would hear from them. It would have been interesting to hear the outcome of some of the legitimate sounding complaints. Maybe now we will. I am sure Toyota is not pleased with the attention their cars are getting.
    edited March 2010
    this discussion is about toyota.
    you can post those links on the appropriate brand forums, if you want to.
    i did read the lincoln story.
    the driver was in reverse, hit 2 people, stepped on the brakes, but due to snow on the ground ran over them.
    if this was you driving, would you drive back forward or not move the car?
  • carbuff1171carbuff1171 Member Posts: 77
    The real question is whether the car can be put into neutral while experiencing an episode of UA. In any controlled demonstration, the computer is doing everything correctly, obeying inputs from the gas pedal as well as inputs from the shifter.

For example, if sitting still in a Prius in Drive with the engine running and your foot on the brake, pressing on the gas will do nothing. The engine will not rev or respond at all. It is designed for the engine to be at idle if one's foot is on the brake. During an UA event, pushing on the brake may slow the car, but the engine remains at full throttle. The computer is not doing its normal job as it would in a controlled youtube demonstration.
  • jeffb1124jeffb1124 Member Posts: 13
    My point is mistakes happen, but now it seems as though some Toyota owners now have the thought it's the car, not me, can't be me.. Replace the Lincoln with a Toyota, owner could have blamed UA and the news would be on CNN or Fox. Yes, Toyota has done a horrible PR job. They also should have addressed the issue many years ago. But it seems if a Toyota driver blames UA questions stop by the media, as it has to be the car (it's all about the ratings!)

I do care about this issue, own a Toyota Venza (first Toyota I've owned.. good timing on my part, haha. Had a Dodge Charger before that, maybe I'm bad luck :surprise: ). If there is a real issue with the DBW system I hope it is corrected and soon. I have had my doubts in the past but lately I am more open to believing there is a problem, but I'm not going to believe every driver who owns a Toyota claiming UA. I do know there are drivers who shouldn't be allowed near a steering wheel, but that is for another discussion.
    i don't see any reason to be too concerned about driving a toyota.
    my position, which i made clear many months ago, is that it is a rare event.
    no reason to just assume there is no problem, though.
    although the story with the lincoln doesn't have a whole lot to go on, i didn't see anything referencing UA.
    i was kind of lumping you into the group lead by 'dre3, until you provided background to your posts, not that it matters other than this thread.
    so far, i am not willing to consider what is going on is covered by toyota's 'corrective actions'.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    That the driver claiming UA in his Prius down Hwy. 8 in San Diego is the following:

Record of recent bankruptcy Ch. 7 being upside down by more than 70,000 dollars.
    Record of being upside down on 2 houses.
    Record of having more than $50,000 in credit card debts.

This guy reaks of fraud and corruption, so much for you anti-Toyota haters and your "star" witness.

Next UA claimant please. This case is dismissed as frivolous! *slams gavel* :mad:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    If that makes you feel better, that's fine. The fact is with this past year's economy, picking people at random you have a good chance of encountering someone with financial problems. It proves nothing.

In fact, if you appreciate that all Prius models come from the factory with Brake Override already designed in, this one event proves the problem has to be in the electronics. The police officer testified that he saw the man had his brakes on, and the officer could smell them. With Brake Override, it is supposed to be impossible for one's foot to be on the brake and the engine remain at full throttle even if you are holding the gas pedal to the floor unless there is a problem with the electronics. The electronics operate the Brake Override function as well as having exclusive authority over the Electronic Throttle Control.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    This guy should work for Toyota's PR firm or their attorneys.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    edited March 2010
    My general observation (my opinion only) is IF there was a wide-spread problem unintended acceleration problem with Toyota's, why haven't we heard of more incidences where vehicles are being rear-ended while moving on the freeway? Maybe it's just me, but isn't it just coincidence that it seems we hear mostly stories of cars either accelerating out of control on wide open freeways, where the driver can supposedly maintain control of the car without hitting anyone, or single car crashes? This should be happening in all traffic situations, thereby causing more accidents involving 2 or more vehicles. Where are the multiple-car accidents related to unintended acceleration? Why is it that it seems the "brakes failed to slow the car" or "shifting it into neutral didn't work", but the throttle still works by being stuck in the full open position? We never hear of stories where the "throttle doesn't work" meaning if you depress it, nothing happens. This makes me suspect of not only the San Diego Prius incident, but almost every other story that's out there that's not related to the floormat problem. Remember Audi in 80's?
    edited March 2010
    The dude sounds like my brother-in-law, (married to my wife's sister) with his finances and he drives a Matrix. What is it with 'Yota owners and their money?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    lemko....it truly does make me wonder how many posters here do indeed work for Toyota. I see a pattern, very Toyota-like. Point fingers at someone else for their problems. Deny their problems. Try to divert attention away from their problems.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    That's funny because to me the majority of posters here are Toyota haters for various reasons mainly UAW sympathizers of all types not to mention a certain Buick owner.
    It seems they are coming here to vent their past frustrations with past D3 failures and couldn't be happier to see Toyota in the lime light now. It's interesting to see how warped and biased a mind can become.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    This should be happening in all traffic situations, thereby causing more accidents involving 2 or more vehicles.

Maybe, it depends on what's triggering the fault. If it's the cruise that usually is a highway only use, when there is low to moderate volume. Maybe you're not hearing so much about low speed issues because a vehicle going 30mph can be braked, whereas a car already going 65mph and then accelerating has too much momentum and kinetic energy for the brakes to slow it down, before they start overheating. So there are numerous possibilities.

We never hear of stories where the "throttle doesn't work" meaning if you depress it, nothing happens.

You're right. The media doesn't cover daily breakdowns where cars won't run, and they are put on the back of a AAA tow-vehicle and taken to the dealer.

This makes me suspect of not only the San Diego Prius incident, but almost every other story that's out there that's not related to the floormat problem.

So now that that Prius has been looked at for 2-3 days, I would suspect that we could get some sort of preliminary report if the guy was trying to pull a fraud? I would suspect that this vehicle would be getting examined 24/7 and it's not going to take months to see a report. Or will the results be kept "secret", or the vehicle is shipped by slow-boat back to japan for more study, until everyone forgets about it?
    That's funny because to me the majority of posters here are Toyota haters for various reasons mainly UAW sympathizers

You would be hard pressed to put me in that category. If you check the UAW thread you would see I am one of the most aggressive opponents of that bunch of scoundrels. And if I hated Toyota I would not have bought a 2007 Sequoia. I have never been a fan of Toyota dealers. They are not as concerned with after sales customer service. My best experience over the last 25 years is with Bob Stall Chevrolet and Drew Ford/VW. They both have given me excellent inexpensive service on vehicles I bought in other states and used in So California. My opinion of Toyota dealers goes back to 1964. While not the worst I have encountered. They were far from the best. Just below average. Exactly where they get rated every year by JD Powers.

That said, I think that Toyota did build some decent vehicles in the 1980s and 1990s. The quality went down over the last decade. Not all vehicles at once. I think the 2007 Sequoia was the last of the breed of quality vehicles. Most of my complaints are with cheap electronics from Denso. You know the company that builds their ECMs and other parts that could be responsible for UA. My experience is their Denso NAV made in India is a POC.
    Or will the results be kept "secret"

I think that Sikes made a big mistake letting the CHP release his car to a Toyota dealer. The Toyota damage control people have already tried to smear the guys credibility by spreading his financial condition to all the media. That is what Toyota is paying Exponent BIG BUCKS to do. What chance is there the car will get an honest appraisal at a Toyota Dealer? :confuse:
    Toyota has been forced to hand a 'smoking gun' memo produced by its own factory workers to US investigators probing a spate of system faults.

The two-page document, sent to president of the company Katsuaki Watanabe in 2006, warned of systematic threats to car safety.

Damningly, it highlighted 'safety sacrifices' made as the company allegedly put profit before the well-being of customers.

The memo, written by a group of long-term employees, pinpointed inadequate development time for new models and a general drop in standards.

Authors claimed manufacturing was now done by 'amateurs' and that highly skilled workers had been sidelined.

They also predicted that the practices would eventually threaten the company's survival if changes were not made.

Toyota, the world's largest car maker, is facing a crisis of unprecedented proportions

A US congressional committee is investigating the crisis and demanded the memo, written in October 2006.

It was compiled by the 20-member All Toyota Labour Union headed by Tadao Wakatsuki, who had worked at the firm's Motomachi factory for 45 years.

The memo included points that:

— Between 2000 to 2005 Toyota was forced to recall more than million cars, a higher proportion of total vehicle recalls than other car makers.

More
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I have a 2005 Avy that we love. It is among those recalled for the stuck accelerator fix where metal "shims" are placed in the accelerator pedal. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had this done to find out if this "fix" affected the feel of the accelerator, specifically, do you now have to apply more pressure to push the pedal down? Thanks, Jeffm5
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Are you stating that depending on what another Avy owner says about the pedal and the pressure that's required to depress it would influence your decision as to have the recall done or not?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    That's funny because to me the majority of posters here are Toyota haters for various reasons mainly UAW sympathizers of all types not to mention a certain Buick owner.

You are close. The majority are not UAW sympathizers or Toyota haters, they basically dislike the smug attitude of Toyota OWNERS. :P
    It appears that most people do not realize that all Prius models come from the factory with Brake Override already designed in. Therefore this one event in California proves the problem has to be in the electronics. The CHP officer testified that he saw the man had his brakes on, and the officer could smell them. With Brake Override, it is supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE (not yelling, just can't find another way to emphasize) for one's foot to be on the brake and the engine remain at full throttle even if you are holding the gas pedal to the floor. The only way those two things can happen at the same time is if there is a problem with the electronics. The electronics operate the Brake Override function as well as have exclusive authority over the Electronic Throttle Control.
    You should allow for the possibility that this UA problem somehow relates to the engagement or attempted engagement of cruise control. Most drivers only do that on the "open" road".
    BTO is NOT designed in...!

Only by default.

It's really that the HSD firmware is DESIGNED to take a different execution path when the brakes are used. The firmware is designed to enter the regenerative braking mode WHENEVER the brakes are used.

No question that the gas pedal should have been IGNORED with the brake lights on.
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    I nearly bought two toyota vehicles in the past two years, i ended up passing on them for two reasons. The dealer was horrible, worst experience i have had. They were rude, and sleazy. The second reason was in the words of the sales manager " we are the best cars on the road, if you want a POS from another company go right ahead but we don't have to offer any incentives, you want the car or not we are not going to negotiate." Toyota makes good cars, don't let these recalls overshadow the point, but maybe these problems will be an eye opener for thier dealers. When i need another car i will look at toyota, but if thier dealers have the same attitude then i will say no thankyou...
    The dealer attitute your encountered is by no means unique to Toyota.
    roho...I have friends who actually work for Toyota....their livelihood depends on Toyota. Even they are frustrated with the way their own company has botched this. Among them, they fall into two categories.

The first minority set takes the same view as a few members here. That is, Toyota can do no wrong....disregarding the complaints, looking for a reason....any reason to deflect blame.

Then there are the majority who state the same thing that the workers in Japan have stated. That is, it's been a long time coming. Cost cutting has taken its toll. And, that the emphasis shifted in recent years from building a good vehicle, to building one that had as much cost as possible removed from them.

So, I've heard both sides. Yet, the same Toyota problems exist.

Toyota has two choices.....embrace any and all input from employees, 3rd parties, customers, and fix what it wrong.

Or, the seemingly on going attacks, sidesteps, dismissals, redirections, etc on their customer base, gov't agencies, and the rules/regs that they must adhere to.

They're doing a whole lot of the latter, and practically none of the former.
    How important is Dr. Gilbert's discovery that the Toyota/NipponDenso MIL system monitor did not detect that the two gas pedal position sensors were shorted together.

Was it:

1.) Sloppy coding of the firmware??

2.) Intentional coding to avoid too many "limp home" episodes.

Either way it is worrisome.
    Sheesh, what an arrogant attitude. You never down the competition like that to a customer, no matter what your personal opinion is. He should've said, the (insert make & model) is a fine car, but Toyota offers this...etc.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2010
    LOL, I got a similar line from a Mazda dealer when I pulled into the lot to look at the Tribute while I was driving my (then wifes) CRV. Took it for a spin, checked it out and then the salesman had the audacity to say "See it's not just Honda who can build the best, highest quality vehicles out there. Makes you wonder why you paid so much for your CRV when the Tribute is better".

I didn't have the time or the nerve to remind him that the Tribute was a Ford and was literally the second most recalled vehicle in history next to the Focus and only 1 recall away from matching the Chevy Citation...

Stupid stuff too like wheels falling off and gaslines rupturing...

Wasn't worth the time, so I walked.
    dw.....I agree that different dealers have different attitudes. I had one (a Ford dealer, no less) state to me that the only way they give test drives (in this case, a SHO) was if I put down a deposit on one.

Ummmmm....yeah.....that's exactly what I'll do. Give you money to test drive a $40K car which I may, or may not like, for the privilidge of allowing you to sell it to me.

Still, I think with all the incentives Toyota has right now, and the precipitous fall lff of their business, I'm betting if you went back to your same dealer, they're attitude would have changed.
    A couple years ago when Toyota was riding the top of the wave, they had that we are the best attitude and do not give discounts. Take it or leave it. What a difference a couple years make.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Agree, I have no problem if it's done in a professional manner, telling me how much better there's is than mine, but telling me how bad mine is, well that's insulting. Arrogant Toyota dealers were the #1 reason why I didn't own a Toyota for a long time when they were so popular. I'm sure their tone is changing now.

The only thing that will get me back in their show room will be ridiculous deals. My next new vehicle will be either a Honda or a Ford.
    What chance is there the car will get an honest appraisal at a Toyota Dealer?

I would hope that the NHTSA would have had someone get down there and stand guard over that vehicle, or take possession of it. If there is possible fraud then what that Prius driver was doing was breaking all sorts of traffic laws, never mind the fake-911 and fraud issues. So either way I'd hope the government had some sense to have some control over that vehicle. Nobody from Toyota should look at that vehicle without the state or fed officials being there too, and getting access to any and all data.
    roho1: That's funny because to me the majority of posters here are Toyota haters for various reasons mainly UAW sympathizers

gagrice: You would be hard pressed to put me in that category. If you check the UAW thread you would see I am one of the most aggressive opponents of that bunch of scoundrels.

me: Roho - same here; you can go over to the UAW thread and see that I also think the UAW has mostly hurt the D3 and themselves by being too greedy. I own a Japanese car (Mazda) and a Jag. I considered a Rav4 before, so I don't hate Toyota.

I do think Toyota though is getting caught up in a problem that could have hit any one of the major automakers. They are continuing to redesign their systems, trying to do it as quick as possible and for as low a cost as possible, and pay the least for those parts. They are relying on a whole bunch of electronics and software systems to all work together quickly. And may I say it again - the engineers are working as quickly and at as low of cost to get their redesigns to market. That does not bode well for the quality of those designs.

If this happened to Ford, or to GM, or to Mercedes I would be saming the same critical things. Toyota may be making it worse than it would be for others because of the japanese culture which many have already detailed.
    edited March 2010
    Absent the ability to HACK the Prius HSD system control firmware how could this event have been fraudulent/faked...??

Even if the driver intentionally held the gas pedal fully depressed the HSD firmware would/should have over-ridden the gas pedal input in favor of the braking, both regenerative AND frictional.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

The 76-year-old member of St. George Greek Orthodox Church was there to drop off items for a tag sale and tried to park her car when she experienced a problem that sounds like those that have prompted a massive recall on the cars.
  • meditchmeditch Member Posts: 6
    Very little mention has been made of possible misue of the cruise conrol; likely inattention of driver; a sudden illness being experienced; or simply driver inattention.
    I have the nagging feeling the present administratiion is conducting a witch hunt against this wonderful company in an effort to promote the sales of Ford's and GM cars.
  • vmrgvmrg Member Posts: 9
    It is not that simple, brake override can easily be manipulated:

The brake override feature is designed to be unobtrusive in normal driving conditions. It is designed to manage vehicle acceleration caused by interference with the accelerator pedal and is otherwise undetectable under normal driving conditions.

Using the accelerator pedal position sensors, brake light switch circuitry, and the vehicle speed sensors, this intuitive and intelligent extra measure of confidence helps ensure that vehicles can be controlled in the event that the accelerator pedal is trapped.

When the vehicle throttle is opened beyond the idle position, at speeds greater than five miles per hour and then the brakes are firmly applied for longer than one-half second, the override feature will reduce engine output to the idle position, allowing greater braking performance. If the brake pedal is then released and the engine speed does not return to normal operation, the vehicle should be brought to a stop with brake override, the engine shut off and the vehicle evaluated by a Toyota dealer.

The feature has sophisticated control logic intended to eliminate undesirable or inappropriate activation and is designed to be imperceptible. In certain driving conditions, unnecessary activation of brake override would create an inconvenient or even unsafe situation.

For example, the brake override feature does not operate if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This logic allows for vehicles starting on a steep a hill to safely accelerate without rolling backwards, otherwise known as a hill start.

Toyota engineers have carefully calibrated the system control logic to prevent the system from interfering with efforts to free a vehicle by rocking it to gain traction in snow or mud. Since some drivers prefer to brake with the left foot, the system also recognizes this as an intentional action by the driver and will allow the accelerator to function normally.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks to all for the interesting posts.
    Interesting editorial, probably applies to many situations where driver is just starting out, not on freeway, but not all, of course.

"THE Obama administration has said that it may require automakers to install “smart pedals” on all new cars. This kind of system — already used in BMWs, Chryslers, Volkswagens and some of the newest Toyotas — deactivates the car’s accelerator when the brake pedal is pressed so that the car can stop safely even if its throttle sticks open.

"The idea is to prevent the kind of sudden acceleration that has recently led to the recall of millions of Toyotas. Federal safety regulators have received complaints asserting that this problem has caused accidents resulting in 52 deaths in Toyotas since 2000. Smart pedals might help prevent more such accidents if the cause of unintended acceleration turns out to be some vehicle defect.

"But based on my experience in the 1980s helping investigate unintended acceleration in the Audi 5000, I suspect that smart pedals cannot solve the problem. The trouble, unbelievable as it may seem, is that sudden acceleration is very often caused by drivers who press the gas pedal when they intend to press the brake.
    For the rest of the story, please go to:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11schmidt.html?scp=1&sq=braking%20bad&- st=cse
    All well and good, but the decribed system cannot work in an HSD vehicle. The HSD vehicles do NOT have the "brake override feature" as described.