Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    Actually read some of the complaints. While there are several that are creepy and disturbing, there are lots of other issues with this data. Under Vehicle Speed Control there are complaints that the dealer did not give them new floormats, that no one had called them about their recall, one womans complaints were in there 3 times! 2007 data - the worst year for Toyota Hesitation problems not SUA or UA are often listed under Vehicle Speed Control. Interesting data but hard to put your finger on real comparisons. For 2010 Camry- many of the complaints sound credible, and of more interest to me as this is the one I own. Something is going on with many these people's cars, that seems certain. Interesting reading!
    Me - only me - and that is both my strength and liability! I have had no problems like this with my own car as yet - a 2010 Camry LE Automatic. I'm just trying to sort it out and be prepared by separating the facts from the hysteria. It isn't easy. It is especially disconcerting as this is only the second new car of my nearly 60 year old life. Love the car - quiet, roomy, economical, plenty of power - and now all this. It does give one pause, but I am trying to remain rational and objective.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Being informed of the possibilities is the best chance for survival in the rare chance it happens to you. I think the publicity has been good in spite of the beating that Toyota is taking. I would rather have your 2010 Camry than the 2010 Prius. Twice as many electronic gremlins to rear their ugly head. When you are out on the open road practice slipping the car into neutral. It will lower the odds of anything happening.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    Click here and you will see somebody demonstrating how to put Prius into neutral. You can see her speedometer says 74 mph. She had no trouble handling the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_03lbr-Jw&feature=player_embedded

BTW, Consumers Reports doesn't say to buy Toyotas. Just the opposite. They are not recommending them now. I was just pointing out for balance that their reliability is very good.
    Years ago I had a Buick Skylark Sportswagon that had UA problems. It was very easy to find, broken motor mount that was poorly designed to start with. And I won't talk about how the windows leaked and they didn't want to seal them properly, so they just quit making them.
    Lemko, glad you have good luck with your GM cars. It speaks highly for you. Many car salesmen and mechanics will tell you that the owner is more important than the make of the car on a used car. Some folks watch their fluids, maintain their car well, drive them gently, and ... big surprise, they last almost forever. Baby the clutch, it might last 100k. Squeal tires, maybe it lasts 10k. It's up to you. Hard acceleration is hard on an engine. I try not to accelerate up hills for this reason and also for gas mileage. I have some friends whose cars are always having problems, getting dinged, in the ditch, breaking down, and others whose cars look like new with no problems after 10 years. Also, I think more expensive cars are maintained better and driven better by their owners, thus better used cars ... except for the higher repair costs.
    JMHO,
    Dennis
    edited March 2010
    I have determined that if my car suddenly accelerates I can test the brakes, put it in neutral if needed, turn on my flashers and if need be turn my ignition off within 3 seconds. I have put the car into neutral at 70 mph and back into gear with no problems. I have also tested turning off the ignition in a big wide open parking lot and determined that although the steering is much harder and the braking is much harder, it will maneuver adequately and that the brakes work and that the steering does not lock up. I pretty much drive with my hand on or near the gear shift. So, if lightning strikes me, at least I know my options. I think the chances are probably about as good that I'll get struck by lightning or win the Powerball lottery - but I am prepared. I'm sure as hell not going to be calling 911.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    You will be just fine. You probably did a lot of research before you bought the Camry, and, as you know, it is a great automobile. Just enjoy your car and pay no attention to all this "the sky is falling" business.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    Becomes mind boggling doesn't?? Seems Prius emergency directions would be great and seem to be needed.

This site seems to be a consumer advocacy agency, so despite claims they are trying to protect consumers safety. I have attempted to verify information, and have found their information seems correct. Good luck if you try, is big project. And yes they do accept funds to do research from attorneys, government, consumer advocate groups, etc. Yes, they are biased fighting for consumers it seems/appears. My guess they have to be self supportive. This is group that paid Dr Gilbert, the professor of auto technolgy department of University of Southern Illinois $1800, $150 per hour, and $4000 of equipment to proceed wiht his study. Study was short so cost minimal. The department is considered #1 in US. University approved the study and then Dr. gilbert proceeded ahead. What is difficult to understand Dr Gilbert had called Toyota first to report on his initial findings. Also called NHTSA. And also called this Sean Kane. Kane was the only one who returned his calls. Toyota did not repond for about a week, NHTSA never called. But unfortunately Toyota was not interested with meeting him or pursuing fduring initial conversation. Kane provided the money with some outside fund assistance(who???). What Gilbert got paid was peanuts money though.. Equipment would belong to University once research completed. Auto manufacturers donate auto to this auto technology program - yes Toyota donates. Toyota also donated $100,000. Seems Dr. Gilbert and the University had more to lose. Can you imagine the possible auto manufacturers repercussions? After the congressional hearing Toyota pulled their advisors off the university board. Toyota had webcast said Gilbert's finding not true. If other auto manufacturers joined in pressuring University - problems. My best guess is University will keep Dr. Gilbert from pursuing any further research on SUA/UA. We shall see. This #1 program does get lots of help assistance from auto manufaturers.

Now you look at Exponent who Toyota has hired, and at congressional hearings Toyota would not reveal how much they pay Exponent. Saw reports estimate given may be $1,000,000+ - do use them in their law suits since main office here in California & so is Exponent. Exponent has multiple connections to Stanford Auto Research Department - and so do other manufacturers - donate to research center.

Exponent has past highly questionable ethical problems themselves though. This firm and their engineers are a defensive litigation firm. Reports always/almost always supports their clients. I was aware of Exponent long before this all started from being a medical professional that analyzed medical research w my peers and MD's.. Exponent's most audacious stunt involved Hinckley, California PGE chromium pollution. + their former Vice President Dennis Paustenbach (now Chem Risk SF) - proven published scientic fraud study- using a Chinese reserchers name & no approval. Study said chromium does not cause cancer. But chromium exposure does cause high incidence rate of cancer. Big blow up here California. Remember movie Erin Brockovich. This is the case. A second case exists several years later after fraud proven. Exponent also has done many studies tobacco does not cause cancer - hired by tobacco corporations. UCSF medical center cardiologist researcher in SF knows them very well. Exponent also wrote studies asbestos exposure does not cause lung cancer/lung mesothelioma. So now you throw in Toyota's hired gun. Exponent will support and defend any/all Toyota electronics for public. Firm is excellent and they do good job defending. Corportions will go to them when in trouble. But their reports will stilll be highly questionable, and any rebuttal to their reports quite costly. Took almost 7-8 years for California to prove the PGE fraud & was not so tightly legally controlled.. Most are. It's commonly known as corporate influenced research. Exponent highly protected/finding & studies are kept legally hidden from public since corporate attorneys usually hire. Or if goal of a corporation/s is to seek public attention, try to get studies/reports published

Then throw in all the statistical data studies out there, and available. NHTSA numbers unfortunately do not relfect total number as is only voluntary site, and dealerships have most of the complaints but not required to turn over legally per law. Still can get idea and NHTSA studies are ones usually referred to. Each study varies for comparison and each is promoting a certain point to convey to the public. CR has done a study finding Toyota has 40% of all manufacturers complaints - but used only the NHTSA thrown out/eliminated/discarded SUA/UA complaints decided by Toyota and NHTSA when addressing past Toyota SUA/UA complaints for recalls. Doesn't seem right, but was done. Edmunds did two studies which you can find right here on the main website at the bottom of page under announce,ment/press releases. #1 study was over approx 9-10yrs +-. Toyota ranked 17th among all manufatures, but did not reveal what manufacurers were doing now. To me what they are doing in recent years/presently quite/most important. Then Edmunds did study over approx last 3-4 yrs+-. This study revealed Toyota had highest per centage. Then there was PR data study report. At this point I didn't completely analyze as study provided no format explaining how study was conducted, who paid for study, precise wording was ambiguous and legally conflicting, etc. This groups study left me with many questions??? Honestly left this one alone then. And there are a few more. Too lazy to go back to my bookmarks to find.

Etc, etc, etc.

Good luck!!! Has been interesting, educational, shocking, reassuring, upsetting, etc adventure for me. And story to be continued.
    Yes, is interesting. Any Prius owners present on this blog that could go check their manuels???

I have checked this site info before - and have found accurate. Yes, biased for consumer. Have not checked this though to validate for sure.

Best guess - probably ok. Would appreciate any help here to validate.
    Problem is NHTSA data system. Not real user friendly, and programs appear outdated now. As for deaths - in SUA/UA many time death event thrown out of statistics. NHTSAis kind of in hot seat w oversight committee because of past issues and what occurred. Kind of sad - since now a new president and new heads in place - LaHood for one year, & Strickland for approx 2+- months.

As Edmunds states - kind of big mess.

Only 1% of NHTSA budget is for auto safety and enforcement. Plus they oversee so many other consumer products, etc. Largest percentage goes to research
  • PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    I like your idea but lets take the Toyota's that the owner has a problem with and give it to Toyota dealership owner to drive for a week and see if Dealerships change hands faster.This should fix the problems or the Dealers, not listening to the owners..
    Glad to have someone with injury research statistical background.
    Your own information is way off when you take in account 10% of the population in the USA is on the unemployment. The price of Gas kept most people home and per capita who is driving to work or out for dinner and a few drinks after? Just a thought 34.000,000 is a big number to take out of your data.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    one party sends someone who know nothing. how does that work for that scenario?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    did you try this out on a vehicle that accelerated when you did not request it to?
    once something goes wrong, maybe you can't count on the normal counteractions to work.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Nice work, diesel. Before all this came up, I drove my car like I watched tv or something. Now I do like you, practice putting in neutral, memorize where my parking brake is if necessary, have learned 3 seconds before ignition goes off. etc.
    I predict you'll love your Camry, it will last a very long time and you will NEVER have one ua event. If you ever do have one, it sure as heck won't be because of the floor mat.
    I predict the same with my Avalon.
    Regards,
    Dennis
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Do not turn the hybrid system off while driving. The power steering and brake actuator will not operate properly if the hybrid system is not operating.”

Do you really need them to write it any more idiot proof?

It could add "unless faced with imminent death." Or unless you've exhausted all other options, but isn't that implied already?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Somewhat long and technical article here for more education by someone with knowledge of fly by wire aviation systems.

http://www.edans.org/DesignForSafety.htm
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    The brakes on the Prius also did not show wear consistent with having been applied at full force at high speeds for a long period, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday, citing three people familiar with the probe, whom it did not name.

Toyota said its own testing found Sikes had rapidly pressed the gas and brakes back and forth more than 250 times. The company had no explanation for why he might do such a thing but said the car's front brakes were shot.

What a [non-permissible content removed].
    Toyota said its own testing found Sikes had rapidly pressed the gas and brakes back and forth more than 250 times. The company had no explanation for why he might do such a thing but said the car's front brakes were shot.

Exactly what I've been saying all along since the beginning of this bums story.

The testing has confirmed the obvious observational theories.

Now the ANTI Toyota faithful will be saying that there's no way an old guy could press the bakes and gas 250 times alternately without messing up and activating the brake override system or something else equally ridiculous.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    How can that be? Their EDR only has read out for 5 sec before and 2 seconds after? And seems almost impossible for 250 brake pedal presses. Didn't understand how they could determine this?

System did not showed no errors or malfunctions.

Quite confused about all the information they provided Monday, but yet in past they always told people/lawyers/law enforcement they had no valuable information, none, or info on EDR limited, was varied and different, or they refused to provide. EDR available since late 1970's and available.

Am I missing something here?? Do there vehicles have any other recorded monitoring systems???

Now the ANTI Toyota faithful will be saying that there's no way an old guy could press the bakes and gas 250 times alternately without messing up and activating the brake override system or something else equally ridiculous.

In any case, I think one would need to use both feet to activate BO. Apparently what he did was press the gas pedal to gain sufficient momentum, release the gas pedal, then press the brake pedal with the same foot, release the brake pedal, then press the gas again to regain the lost momentum. And to think all the experts, including Toyota, couldn't figure out why the BO didn't operate.
    Went in today to Toyota delalership for service check. Must say they were really nice this time. In past they had always seemed rushed. Not today, as were very customer friendly. Explained my problem issues quite well pc work. Very impressed. .
    The point is to know what the sequence is before you have a UA. Brakes? If they don't work - try Neutral - If you are still accelerating - turn on your flashers. Look for a place to pull over - turn off the ignition (which on my car is not firmware, is not a push button but an old fashioned key and a hardware switch), stand on the brakes and pull over. Seems like a better plan than just crashing into something or praying at 120 mph or calling 911. Now if turning the car off doesn't work, praying is probably not out of the question although I think Id look for a car moving into the same direction as me to run into.
    Great article. Where did you find it??
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Has the Camry problem been resolved by putting the shim on the gas pedal? Toyota service put a shim on my gas pedal on my 2010 Camry LE. I've been hearing in the news that Toyota now thinks that the gas pedal sticking could be caused from a computer problem inside the car somewhere. When I called Toyota service yesterday and asked about this, they told me that ONLY certain VIN numbers for the 2010 Camry LE need their computers reprogrammed. They didn't give me a straight answer as to whether or not they knew that the computer inside the Camry was the cause of the gas pedals sticking. It's like Toyota service has "no clue" as to what's going on or they don't want to say anything about it.
    Does anybody in here have any concrete information and updates on the 2010 Camry as to what the real cause of the gas pedal sticking is? Is it a computer problem? Or did Toyota service already fix the problem by putting a shim on the gas pedal like they did on my car? I would like to know.
  • xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    they told me that ONLY certain VIN numbers for the 2010 Camry LE need their computers reprogrammed

Here it comes, the secret firmware/electronics fix; after Toyota repeatedly and firmed deny anything wrong with the electronics.

Liar liar..
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Does anybody in here have any concrete information and updates on the 2010 Camry as to what the real cause of the gas pedal sticking is?

Toyota owners have reported additional cases of SUA/UA after having both the floor mat and the pedal recall done. As to whether the Toyota dealer knows anything more, I seriously doubt that Toyota explained anything to the dealer since they deny SUA.
    edited March 2010
    Yes, you are missing something. It is my understanding that the Prius has another computer in addition to the edr that records much more information. Non hybrid cars do not have this specific hybrid computer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Since obviously these complainants of the SUA have survived,does anybody know how they managed to stop their cars?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I think it's a combination of things. Just using Mrs Smith's testimony, she burned up (actually "flamed out") her brakes to the the car to slow down. Then, whatever series of events she did to get the computer to actually get the car to stop, from jamming the "on/off" button (supposed to take 3 second push to turn off the engine), and/or shifting it into neutral (which after successive failed attempts to do so) got the engine out of gear.

Not sure of the exact sequence, but that would be my guess.

Others that have been reported (like with the Prius) there were successive steps, seemingly in random order, which got the cars to stop.

Some weren't as fortunate. There was at least one report that a wall stopped their Toyota, one had their car careen out of control into a ravine. Some even died trying to get their Lexus to stop.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Don't understand what you were trying to say here. Maybe that was your intent?
    edited March 2010
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm
    Do a vehicle search by year, Manufacturer and Model and component - Most complaints related to UA seem to fall under the component VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL - after you retrieve the complaints you can click on SUMMARY and read the actual complaint. Some are well written and logical, others are rambling and inconclusive and not all will be related to an actual acceleration event. You can get a good idea that there is something real happening as well as a lot of complaints that aren't relevant to much of anything. There are 15000 complaints in their database so it is a little tedious to separate the wheat from the chaff. Another annoyance is that the COMPONENT drop down menu is not consistent from CAR to CAR or even year to year. Good source of anecdotal information but as a Data resource it is seriously flawed on a number of levels.
    edited March 2010
    Here it comes, the secret firmware/electronics fix; after Toyota repeatedly and firmed deny anything wrong with the electronics.

Don't be silly, Toyota would not be in this mess if they had brake override installed and working when they went drive-by-wire. They should have learned from Audi's debacle.

On another note....I get the brake override upgrade on Saturday (2009 Camry) and would like to know the simplest OQ test to confirm workability. For example, will revving the car with one foot while stationary then pressing the brakes with the other foot trigger the brake override?

I'll ask again at the dealership but would prefer advance knowledge, as always, before entering the "belly of the beast".
    I watched many of the "what to do in cases of UA" on youtube.The first solution on official videos is to simply put your foot on the brake pedal,because if you are giving it gas and braking at the same time,the engine will just shut down.They demonstrated that very quickly.Here is my problem.If that is true,how did that guy in California burn out his brakes if the act of braking would shut his engine down? My thoughts are like this.This works on a normally functioning car but not an out of control computer caused acceleration.The same would apply to the Start/stop button, as well as putting the shift lever into neutral.
    Faulty electronics in a Prius would leave you no real options.Please talk me off the ledge,because I have a 2007 Prius which I totally mistrust. :lemon:
    My dealer told me that my 2007 Prius has a brake override built in.Problem is since it is all interconnected with their computers,if the failure is with the electronics...would it still work?
    edited March 2010
    at least from my experience. It definitely does nothing if the vehicle is in park or neutral - with left foot on the brake you can still accelerate with your right foot. If you put the car in gear, with your foot on the brake, with the care at rest, it seems that you can accelerate the engine with the brakes holding it back. The few times I have tried it while moving - accelerating with the right foot and applying the brake with the left - the BO appears to work as designed - the car will decelerate rapidly (not just from braking but from accelerator being cut out) - and when you take your foot off the brake - the car accelerates to the former speed. It is not a natural way to drive though and there is a bit of muscle skill and concentration to ensure that your accellerator pressure does not vary while you are applying the brakes with your other foot. But from my few tests - it does appear to work this way. I never tried this at high speed though. Also don't try it with traffic around you. It isn't your normal manner of driving and driving with two feet is strongly discouraged unless you have a manual transmission and your left foot is only for the clutch. On retrospect - I'm wishing I'd found a manual tranny!!!! By the way, I have a 2010 Camry LE 4 cyl auto.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    I think The safest way is to make the brake pedal the overall authority. Maybe Put a mechanical cable connected to the brake pedal that will in some way mechanically pull that throttle plate in closed/idle position.

Those 'emergency' maneuvers shown in youtube.. They all work -- because the testers are aware that a UA will happen. They neglected the reality of the human brain. That there is a 'computing' lag in the brain when the 'least expected' UA occurs. The brain is already 100% capacity cruising along the car pool lane in high speed for example, judging the speed of surrounding traffic.. etc. Then 'boom' a UA occurs... There is not enough time. The reflex is to hit the brake to slowdown the car. They should focus on and make use of the 'braking' reflex. Instead of some fancy maneuvers.. put to neutral this, press stop button 5 seconds that.. Who can remember those in times of panic?
    edited March 2010
    The reflex is to hit the brake to slowdown the car. They should focus on and make use of the 'braking' reflex. Instead of some fancy maneuvers.. put to neutral this, press stop button 5 seconds that.. Who can remember those in times of panic?

Any driver who is licensed and qualified to drive upon US roads should remember in times of panic and/or otherwise.

Next, were all going to make excuses for people that fail to have that "brake" reflex. People will say, the UA startled me so much, I forgot to try the brake because the accelerator was non responsive and the car "just took off on me."

I think the requirement for a brake "override" feature is equivalent to the dumbing down of America and it is no easier to hit the brakes than it is to shift to neutral.

Also, most American driver's I see on the road are driving on about 5% of their brains capacity, not 100%. They should be using about 50%, 100% is not necessary. I think that the act of talking on a cell phone uses about 60% of your brain capacity, so that is why driving and talking on a cell phone is ill advised. I believe the diffirence between the use of a single hand on a phone vs. a head set or some other hands free device is negligible.
    If that is true,how did that guy in California burn out his brakes if the act of braking would shut his engine down?

The answer lies in the investigators' research into that Prius.

The driver intermittently and alternately hit the accelerator and brake over 250 times. So he kept lightly hitting the brakes, then hitting the gas to recover any lost speed, then repeated, over and over. (This is a fact retrieved from the prius' on-board computer). The Wall Street Journal found investigators that said the brakes were found to indicate wear consistent with being depressed LIGHTLY for an extended amount of time or times.

Also, he may have done about twenty 60-0 brake runs down an alley to overheat and wear out his brakes before he even got on the freeway (but this is speculation on my part).
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Exactly. As the problem (or could be problemS) remains unknown (or undisclosed), if there is an electronic or software problem, then all systems that are integrated and communicating with each other, are fallible.

As an engineer, I do not design systems that rely on the On/Off switch - which is wired into an electronic controller, or a sensor, or an electronic relay, or the software code for that system to work and be error-free. If I want to stop a machine I design it such that the energy can be disconnected without going through any electronics. The kill-switch mechanically disconnects the energy source.

A vehicle has 2 energy sources - 1) gasoline or diesel fuel, 2) the battery to ignite that fuel. Drivers are not given a way to disconnect either when driving which is a serious (eElectrical and Software) engineering-philosophy-flaw.

That flaw is probably a result of:
    a) engineering arrogance; but humans make mistakes
    b) Marketing concerns - no manufacturer wants to alarm potential customers by having a mechanical kill switch, if the others don't
    c) Cost - it might cost $50/vehicle to add a mechanical kill method; manufacturers try and squeeze the last $0.05 out of most cars. They can't even put a set of car-mats in to match what Walmart sells for $10!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think the requirement for a brake "override" feature is equivalent to the dumbing down of America and it is no easier to hit the brakes than it is to shift to neutral.

I think the same can be said for Stability control, traction control and ABS brakes. All added to Toyotas problematic DBW systems. Power steering and brakes are nice. Not really needed.

I agree, anything that is distracting such as cell phones or munching donuts are bad news. Especially driving vehicles that are prone to erratic anomalies.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Faulty electronics in a Prius would leave you no real options.Please talk me off the ledge,because I have a 2007 Prius which I totally mistrust.

Well...allegedly you car has brake over ride installed already. I would certainly take it into your Toyota dealer to confirm that fact (along with a written statement of confirmation).

But, if the electronics are haywire, as some have reported, I'd practice in an empty parking lot on what you'd do if you experience UA. Accelerate and practice throwing the gearshift into "neutral" while standing on the brakes is where I'd begin. While you're at it, review and practice holding down the "start/stop" button while accelerating, too....so you know the procedures that are supposed to work in that instance, also.

Practice doing all of those things at the same time.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Yeah - that is the person I want to share the road with, the one talking/texting on their cell phone who hasn't learned how to park a car. Jesus, people - take the bus!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2010
    If you listen to Ms Smith's testimony carefully it appears that she brought her car to a stop on the "soft" shoulder with the drive wheels, DRIVEN wheels still spinning furiously on the soft tuff. Only once she lost the forward momentum/inertial effects was she able to brake hard enough that the front wheel speed declined below ~35MPH and she able to take control of the engine RPM.

35MPH is the approximate speed the cruise control would be disabled normally by its own internal action.

The problem with SUA is that the cruise control gets "stuck" in the "set/accel" mode, continuously executing the "set/accel" firmware sub-routine with no normal "break-out" operational.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, you're probably stuck out there on that ledge until the end of time.

Even once Toyota/NipponDenso find the firmware flaw they are not likely to disclose the fact. My guess would be that it has already been found. There are not certainly enough clues, input, to put them hard on the "trail".

Eventually you will get a "reflash" for some "non-threatening" firmware flaw that actually includes the SUA fix.
  • junkyardogjunkyardog Member Posts: 44
    Also, he may have done about twenty 60-0 brake runs down an alley to overheat and wear out his brakes before he even got on the freeway (but this is speculation on my part).

I doubt he would have to do that lol. His car had 50 thousand or more miles on it, so when was the last time that the brake pads were replaced. If they were original pads, then there might not have been a lot left when this happened. The media and everyone goes on how the brakes were worn down during this UA and all the braking but they were probably worn down to begin with. If the pads have been replaced then Mr. Sykes should produce a work order and make his story a little more believable.
    According to Mrs. Smith it was "Divine Intervention".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

How is it that 10% or 38,000,000 are out of work not driving and you feel the accident rate is down because of car safety . This would in fact tell you are wrong, in fact if you facture this information out accidents are up inspite of your data.