Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    2014 is when my 7 year Toyota Platinum Warranty expires also. I am not worried about them going belly up. They are just going to have a much smaller pile of cash when they finally get their act together.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Yecch!!! Ford only? What a dystopian future, and that's coming from a guy who owns a Grand Marquis.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I wasn't predicting,just pondering...I still have my KIA to fall back on,of course it does not get 40 MPG or whatever a Prius gets.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    I don't think this is off topic, since many posts have compared the quality of various cars and trucks in our posts and overall quality also is an important component of any vehicle problem. This is from Forbes.com. They rely on both Consumers Reports and J. D. Power for their findings.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109278/worst-made-cars-on-the-road?- mod=family-home
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    Vehicles in recall include:

2009-10 RAV4
    2009-10 Corolla
    2009-10 Matrix
    2005-10 Avalon
    certain 2007-10 Camrys
    2010 Highlander
    2007-10 Tundra
    2008-10 Sequoia

I have a 2010 Highlander and I have not been notified about any recalls. Maybe because it was Made in Japan.

I called Toyota and gave them the VIN just to be certain.

Anyway, how about cleaning up the list? Accuracy is important.

John
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2010
    The 2010 Highlander is included in the recall. At least some of them are. Toyota says "Highlander vehicles with VINs that begin with "J" are not involved in the sticking accelerator pedal recall."

Edmunds says "If your vehicle is on the Toyota recall list, locate your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and check with a Toyota dealer to see if your vehicle is affected."

Here's the official list from Toyota:

Recall Information
  • jdm9jdm9 Member Posts: 38
    Ive developed a kill switch that is totally isolated from the computer. It cuts the engine , leaves you with manual steering and enough brakes to stop in an emercency unintended acceleration event. There is just way too much evidence that points to a computer glitch being responsible whereby nothing you do will stop the vehicle. The possibility that the vehichle computer has frozen the throttle in wide open position can no longer be overlooked. Ive installed a prototype of this kill switch on my new Tundra, call me paranoid, I can live with that, but I now have restored my peice of mind knowing that in an emergency unintended acceleration event I can still stop my truck.. If anyone is interested mail me at thomasbill333@gmail.com.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    when your kill switch graduates from prototype stage, let us know.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jdm9jdm9 Member Posts: 38
    It works and looks quite well, if anyone has the manufacturing or marketing expertise, Id be happy to hear from them.
    Here is a fairly but good article from The Safety Record. Covers most of the theories and history pretty well.

http://thesafetyrecord.safetyresearch.net/2010/04/12/toyota-sudden-acceleration-- the-story-unfolds/
    I think the article shows how the NHTSA have been incompetent and Toyota took advantage of the weak minds in the agency. Sadly they are still not doing their job. Or maybe they just do not have the expertise to analyze the problems that DBW systems seem to have. This paragraph says a lot about our wasted tax dollars on the NHTSA.

During two weeks of Congressional hearings, U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood declared that he would be “getting into the weeds” on the electronic causes of sudden unintended acceleration. And, in late March, the agency announced that it was launching two new investigations. The National Academy of Sciences would be heading a 15-month inquiry into sudden unintended acceleration and automotive electronic vehicle controls. The study will focus on mechanical, human and electronic causes. The agency also launched a separate probe to specifically study sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles with help from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, to look at software, hardware, electronics and hazard analysis. A third investigation, conducted by the DOT’s Inspector General, will examine NHTSA’s past eight investigations to determine if they were properly conducted. The agency also has been consulting with outside electromagnetic interference experts from Great Britain, Keith Armstrong, whose specialty is EMI, and Antony Anderson, an electrical forensic engineer, on the possibility of EMI to Toyota’s electronic throttle system.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Apparently consumer reports has just discovered that there is a serious firmware flaw, SOFTWARE BUG, in the Lexus GX460's stability control system, VSC. Strangely it doesn't seem to be in the Toyota 4runner, the GX's virtaul eqivalent.
    that's where you have to do your own 'pounding the pavement'. hope you got a patent on it.
    i have been reading that toyota does a lot of computer simulated testing and a while back gagrace posted that he never saw toyota doing cold weather testing although seeing some other brands.
    it does make you wonder if anyone thought of entering the additional weight or horsepower of the GX into the virtual stability control test program.
    "The 2010 Highlander is included in the recall. At least some of them are."

That was my point, the list is not accurate and it's at the top of every page. It does not say "Some 2010 Highlanders" as it should. How about cleaning it up to make it accurate?

Or doesn't accuracy matter?

beachfish
    How about cleaning it up to make it accurate?

Toyota dealers are clueless about what is and is not being recalled. Better to have 2010 Highlander on the list and find out it is not one of the defective vehicles than the other way around. My Toyota dealer called me to bring in my 2007 Sequoia for the recall. I asked him what was being done. After 5 minutes of research he returned and said false alarm. He was wanting me to make an appointment to come in. 40 miles each way would have been wasted. Do you think he would have filled my tank for the trouble? Toyota customer service is near the bottom of the heap.
  • smadisonsmadison Member Posts: 3
    Definitely hitting an oldie but goodie here. Not to beat a dead horse, but this thread came up as I was investigating a problem my daughter had recently with her 08 Prius and wanted to jump in with our details:

First off, a few caveats - I'm an Engineer, and have approached this in a typical engineering fashion. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I did do quit a bit of MechE studies and earn my living as a Software Engineer, and I've got a pretty good handle on both the mechanical and electrical diagnostics. In addition to the Prius, which my daughter drives, we've got a VW Bora, an Audi Q7 and a Porsche 996, and I'm constantly tinkering with all of our cars to find out what makes them tick and how to make them tick better.

On Saturday, 24 April 2010, my daughter was driving over Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz, CA when she rounded a corner and executed a panic brake due to completely stopped traffic. She was able to keep the car under control and avoid collision. ABS likely was engaged. It's likely that the Stroke Sensor failed at this point. One or more calipers continued to be engaged after she stopped stepping on the brake pedal. She drove another several miles in this state, and experienced brake fade when she tried to come to a stop at a traffic light. When she finally pressed fully on the brake pedal, secondary braking was engaged and the wheels locked. She fishtailed, but was able to maintain control of the vehicle and avoid collision. She immediately parked and called me. Vehicle was towed to nearest Toyota dealer. Diagnostics indicated a DTC C1247 Stroke Sensor Malfunction, but upon electrical reset all mechanical functions resumed normally.

Brake failures are pretty frightening, especially when it's your inexperienced teenage kid behind the wheel. However, I suspect that failures of this nature are fairly endemic to all regenerative braking systems. No extent of mechanical controls would be capable of balancing the engine and brakes, so you've got to trust these things to a computer. And I can guarantee you that all software has bugs, especially around edge conditions. It's simply impossible to test for everything, all you can do is document and learn from your field data.

That being said, I would certainly hope that these situations have been heeded and improved by Toyota. I'm reading stuff here that's five years old, which what appear to be ample field reports. Toyota needs to step up to the plate and take immediate action on this stuff, and stop dismissing it as Edmunds/GM propoganda.
    All I can say is ....WOW!....another issue to worry about on my Prius.Here I thought it was only the UA that was an issue with Gen II Prius.
    Thanks for the info.
    I believe you need to reconsider your statement. It appears to have all but totally gone away.

And where are all of the wrecks that were predicted? Are folks just not reporting them? BWAAHAHAHA. After the first few dubious reports were exposed the stories began drying up.
  • pochirajupochiraju Member Posts: 19
    hi all,

i would like to buy 2011 camry LE. please can anyone in this forum throw some light on what toyota did to fix the issues it had in earlier models. personally i like toyota cars but i am skeptical about the whole recall issue.

thank u
    sandy
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Toyota has yet to identify the problem so they haven't got a fix for it.
    ask and you shall receive
    there are plenty more. let me know if you want me to post them.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    edited May 2010
    Careful you will get a lot of information or views from the far left or far right here you need to plow through it and come up with own decision. Lets see for starters a artical from Detroit hum they dont have any stake in Toyota falling. Funny you never saw an artical saying anything positive when there was no issue. Get the drift ;) There is always a little truth in everything and a lot of BS depends what side is shoveling
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Pochiraju, true statement by obyone. There has been UA (unintended, or UNEXPLAINED acceleration) in some Toyota vehicles. Toyota has variously fixed floor mats (probably corrected owner stupidity), carpet (smoke and mirrors), and the accelerator pedal (bad design or more smoke and mirrors, the jury is probably still out on this item).

Toyota has been guilty of ignoring, denying, stonewalling, etc., most of the major problems that have occured in their cars over the last several years. Type in Toyota V6 VVTi Oil Line Scandal on Google to read about another can of worms.

By the way, I own a 2007 Avalon with the replaced metal VVTi oil line and no other issues to date. Probably the best car I have ever owned!
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    edited May 2010
    Got the pedal recall modification done on my 2007 TCH this weekend when I was in for an oil change.

It's shorter, and there's a little "backswing" under there I guess to prevent floor mats getting hooked on it?

See below for the pics
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    edited May 2010
    Got the pedal recall modification done on my 2007 TCH this weekend when I was in for an oil change.

Here is a pic of my pedal BEFORE the mod:

And AFTER the mod:

So it's shorter, and there's a little "backswing" under there I guess to prevent floor mats getting hooked on it?
    They gotta be kidding!
    "ask and you shall receive"

Huh? Did you even look at the link you posted? I asked why the onslaught of problems has more or less dried up and you post a link to a NOVEMBER crash?

"The November crash of a speeding Toyota Highlander in New Hampshire killed a Harvard professor, his wife and mother, and another motorist."

Try again if you like, but my point is valid. Out of the millions of recalled Toyotas on the road, there doesn't appear to be very many problems at all; especially considering all of the hand wringing and wailing and the way the stories were popping up everytime somebody wrecked a Toyota.

John
    I feel sorry for the poor guy who said he was shorting Toyota ... after the bad news of the recall was already out. Naked shorting is very, very dangerous. Toyo has tons of money, and as the biggest exporter (I think) in Japan, would get lots of government aid if needed, which it's not. Factor in their long-term reliability record over many years and the great deals they are offering now, I would buy any model Toyo today if I wanted it.

" May 12 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest carmaker, rose the most in more than two weeks in Tokyo trading after forecasting profit will increase this fiscal year on recovering U.S. sales.

Toyota gained 2.7 percent, the most since April 26, to close at 3,590 yen. Net income may rise 48 percent to 310 billion yen ($3.3 billion) in the period ending March 31, the company said in a statement after the market closed yesterday.

“I see this estimate as a minimum,” said Mamoru Kato, a Nagoya, Japan-based analyst at Tokai Tokyo Research Center with a “neutral” rating on Toyota’s shares. The company’s profit from China is growing, and it estimated domestic sales “conservatively,” he said.

Toyota’s sales in North America, its biggest market, may climb 1.5 percent this fiscal year to 2.13 million vehicles, the Toyota City, Japan-based company said in the statement. The carmaker’s U.S. sales rose 24 percent in April as incentives buoyed demand for Corolla cars and Prius hybrids, easing the impact of recalls of about 8 million vehicles worldwide for defects linked to unintended acceleration.

The company posted net income of 112 billion yen for the fourth quarter ended March 31, compared with a loss of 766 billion yen a year earlier. Toyota was projected to post a 48.3 billion yen profit, based on the average of four analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Sales rose 49 percent to 5.28 trillion yen.

The carmaker’s U.S. sales dropped 20 percent in 2009 as industrywide deliveries slumped 21 percent to 10.4 million, the lowest level since 1982. Toyota boosted sales in the nation 41 percent in March, the final month of the company’s fiscal year, after adding discounts across its lineup.

Toyota estimated sales in Japan, its second-biggest market, will drop 11 percent this fiscal year to 1.92 million, while deliveries in other Asian countries will rise 11 percent to 1.09 million.
    My wife worked at a dealership for 10 years, and I got to know lots of the mechanics. While that dealership was Chrysler - Dodge - Mazda, the mechanics have lots of experience with Toyotas. Most of them speak very highly about the longevity of Toyos. When they get traded in there (not very often), the salesmen are very happy, because of their great resale value and easier selling. I have a few acquaintances who have had Toyos that lasted over 200k. I think they are designed for that.
    For your own info, stop at the neighborhood garage, not a dealership, and ask the mechanics. Also, resale value of used models is a great indicator, i.e., the free market telling you what they're worth.
    As somebody once said,I forget who..."reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated".
    Toyota could have said that,nes pas?
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Most of the exaggeration was here on this forum and it was mostly wishful thinking on the part of a few people with an agenda of some sort. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Most people realized that.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2010
    Well, I have had it. between the recalls, squeaks, rattles and what ever else ailed me, I decided to get rid of the 2009 Corolla. I did not get as slammed as I thought I was going to, and even the "other end" of the trade was nor as bad as I thought it was going to be

never thought I would buy this "final" replacement, But I got a used, (2008) but loaded Subaru wagon...I mean like 23,000 very lightly used (even decent quality and still with what is left of its warranty.

I have never owned a Subaru before, but it actually had some character left!!!! It actually felt tight and felt like a "new car" AGAIN (a 4 banger as well) This thing was really TIGHT. 170 hp,normal transmission, standard single disk, power everything, but none of the new "contraptions that could go wrong.

The deal was done in 30 minutes, and I actually found Nothing on the "Do bill", NO extra layers of sales and managers, etc and it even had brand new new titr

After much soul searching and all the letters back and forth from Toyota, I just decided to dump it! THIS IS BY NO MEANS A COMPLETE DUMP ON THE COROLLA BUT RATHER A PERSON WHO HAS JUST HAD ENOUGH OF THE BAD COMMUNICATION BESIDES THE PROBLEMS ALREADY GONE INTO DEPTH HERE.

Mind you, I had none of the sticky pedal, floormat issues and then"other accelerator and terrible steering problems where a good stiff wind would just about knock you over stuff.

Woke up with "the final straw" and took the 09 XLE out for what was to be its last ride under my ownership....Flame me if you will but here it comes.......I bought a USED (2008...light mileage) regular automatic, but loaded Subaru Outback!!! :shades:

NO dents, noises, salesmen waiting for me etc....like the good ole days!!! :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Final words....I will finally have an AWD again FINALLY!!!! And an ole fashioned (if you will) Boxer 170 hp engine..It actually frlt like a car again!....and It is paid for too! ;)

I EVEN KNOW HOW TO PUT A GAS PEDAL, AND FLOOR MATS ETC....1ST WEEK OF THE MONTH, car with lots of recalls etc etc,,,,wish me well PLEASE!!!!!...Good luck to you all!
    Good Choice. Much better overall vehicle. Toyota still has not come up with a fix for the wacky steering in the Corolla.
    i didn't check to see when the incident took place. like others, it is now(when i posted originally), being re examined.
    i'm sure if your wife worked at a buick dealership, the experience would have been somewhat the same. the demographics are similar.
    now that toyota has jumped all in on the incentive train, future resale values may not be what they have been in the past.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    gizzer777. You made a great trade-in deal there. Good work. Toyota is doomed.

Done.

Over.

Never comin' back.

For me. No Toyota 'Auto Haiku' at this time is even required to parlay those thoughts, car-freaks.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

You are living in a fantasy world if you believe that Toyota has gone anywhere. Profits are already up.
    Don't forget the profits are from last years sales. They are facing $billions in litigation over the next several years. They are trying to put on a good face. Go to any Toyota salesroom in So California and you will not be so optimistic about their future.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Have Toyota salesmen lost the sharklike attitude yet?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    The "sharks" are really all the lawyers trolling for clients and claims so that they can get rich by threatening and/or suing Toyota! However, the "billions" won't be coming since 99.9% of the VALID claims are for property damage only.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    But what about "loss" of property value, say trade-in value...?

How many independent car leasing and rental companies are now going to take a bath when those leases end or the reantal companies want rid themselves of yesterday's stock..?

Anyone own stock in Toyota's leasing arm..?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think loss in value is what that 20+ year old Audi class action that's back in the Cook County Illnois court is all about.
    edited May 2010
    Thanks iluvmysephia1

I do not think Toyota is doomed by any stretch!!!!, and I never even had looked at a Subaru (I live where I need 4 wheel drive too!) The more I read recently and the more I studied...This has always been a Toyota town, and like many others, I bought based mostly on word of mouth, sheer numbers of Toys, and what appeared to be good fitment and great mileage( I do not panic easily at my age, but $4 per gal gas wituh the thought of $7 looming even more.!!!! (I was and am am WRONG!)

it seemed like the Outback was for me. Subaru has been around forever, and seem to concentrate more on refinement of their current models, than on making them fancy and putting less into the engineering. (AND THEY MAKE EM MORE $$ AS WELL!!!)

I always had an AWD or 4x4 until a couple of years ago when the panic of $4+ gas set in! lets just say that I am not a youngster anymore and style does not interest me anymore....I am after reliability more bang for the buck, and of course, I learned my lesson this past year without having AWD (Bad winter here too!).

The "stigma" of buying a couple of years old, but with low miles, has long since departed this buyer! :sick: hell, a 2 yr old Outback with less than 24k miles is just getting btoken in IMHO: LOL
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2010
    when I say Toyota is doomed I mean with me. At one time I considered a 2007 Toyota Yaris and a 2006 Scion xA in Polar White, foglights and 5-speed transmission. And also a 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0 in 5-speeds and Absolutely Red.

Not any more. I will never ever take a serious look at a Toyota product again. I don't trust them, I wouldn't want to eat Taco Salad with them and I wouldn't want to talk automobiles with them.

Toyota engineers are not car enthusiasts like Mitsubishi engineers. Don't believe me? Look at the Lancer GTS I own, look at any year EVO and tell me with a straight face that those Mitsubishi engineers didn't have fun designing that superior product to Toyota.

Toyota is doomed. Just like the LA Lakers in the NBA playoffs this year. Gone.

Done. Over with. Distress sale. Fire sale. Over.

Out.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS That's what I'm talkin' about

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ben66ben66 Member Posts: 243
    Good decision ! And your family and kids will thank you for not gambling with yours and their lives, and you will live long enough to celebrate your great great grand children's birthday !

Here is another case where a toyota went berserk and guess what folks, putting the gear into NEUTRAL DID NOTHING ! Wow ! Thats absolutely SCARY ! Worse than playing Russian Roulette ! :

Read this article :

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100422/NEWS02/4220418/1018

Quote "....I was making a left turn, going 10 mph, and all of a sudden the car just accelerated. We hit one of the dividers, became airborne and landed on top of two cars," Rocco Doino said this morning. He said he had no control of the car. The rpm's "jumped" all the way up, way over the two to three you see in normal driving, he said. Throwing the car into neutral did nothing, he said.

"You can't imagine the sound of the motor going so fast," his wife, 74, said. " unquote.

Pay attention to the words " throwing the car into neutral DID NOTHING ".

I really suspect its a toyota electronic matter, where like our computers, when it hangs or misbehaved, pressing anything on the keyboard have no effect at all. The car, or toyota electronic to be more precise, have TAKEN OVER.

If that is the case, the driver has only a few options left, all of which are dangerous :

1. Crash into anything that will stop the car. A building, a tree, whatever.

2. Hollywood style, open the door and jump out quickly. Try this when you are in a freeway.

3. Any other safe options ?

Remember, power is DANGEROUS WITHOUT CONTROL.

Allow me to rephrase General Patton's words " Your duty is not to die for toyota but to make sure the other SOB die for his stupidity ! "

From now on, people who get heavy injuries or die because of berserk toyotas have only themselves to BLAME ! They know the risk and they decided to take it.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on ME !
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    http://www.lohud.com/article/20100422/NEWS02/4220418/1018

From that article toyota-lexus dealer places the blame on the dumb, old driver who is too feeble to drive. Why did he sell them a toyota in December if being 70 makes one too old? The dealership has a legal weakness there based on the owner's/salesman's own statement.

Apparently toyota still is blaming the drivers:

"You have an elderly driver who may have been distracted or startled and accidentally stepped on the wrong pedal. When that happens, the car takes off, the driver believes he's on the brake so he presses harder, and it's all over in a matter of seconds," Hoyt said. "Now I'm not accusing this man of anything and this couple certainly has our sympathy, but it sounds like many other cases we have investigated in the past."

This is what toyota did with the sludge problem. For years after they agreed to do repairs on their bad engines, others were still blaming the owners for not doing the right things and changing the oil sooner than toyota's own service recommendations. They would blame anything that they thought someone else couldn't disprove.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited May 2010
    Ok, I have now had a few days of "living" with the Subaru Outback after about 2 years with the Toyota Corolla XLE. I know the Subaru is a different class of vehicle (plus about $6000 on the new price sticker) and I am not going to knock the Toyota! Also I am surprised at myself for going from an 09 backwards to an 08...(what's in a year though, its all condition, miles driven and any new innovations!)

I did take a bit of bashing in the checkbook but expected it, as I would in trading any other 2 yr old car! (A bit more since the furor has not died down)

Some observations though. The Subaru (had 23,500 miles when I bought it, and is the mid trim level vs the Toyota's "XLE-upper" trim level), not to mention the added weight and AWD feel. The Corolla DEFINITELY had a much Looser road feel , probably somewhat due to the EPS on the Toyota's (wonder if the Subaru has EPS but I doubt it) and overall tightness somewhat due to the heavier feel BUT, the Outback definitely felt better overall and had a much more solid feel.

One thing that is a real standout though is the quality of the interior parts and materials that Subaru uses. The Toyota had a much more "hardness" to its plastic interior than the Outback had, and overall the Subaru's fit and finish (even after 2+ years). The Subaru had an "older" feel to it...that is reminiscent of cars built 5yrs+ ago.

I have heard that the outback is great in the snow...we will see next winter! I will say that the stability control/trac in the Toyota did make it feel pretty good for a 2 WD compact (The Subaru does not have Stability control/trac, although I think the AWD will more than make up for it! (LOL).

In parting, the Subaru had a higher center of gravity which was noticeable! I hope you will wish me well and I will not be a Toyota basher....ever. Cars are just being built cheaper these days and IMHO have way to much electronics in them!. Will hang arounf the forum for a while as some of my family members and friends have Toyotas
    Wow...that is pretty bad looking!

I did the shimmy recall fix, did not like the "feel", and had an entirely new pedal installed (it looked identical to the old one ). I would have had a fit if they did that to mine! Toyota does not seem to have learned a thing and maybe that is all they could do? Geez!

The "new" pedal is definitely a CTS and my GUESS is that the only difference is that the factory installed the shim...not the dealer.

THAT NEW SHAPE IS REALLY p%^&$ poor looking IMHO!