Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Over the past ten years or so I have had two instances, the second just weeks ago, in which inadvertent, NEEDLESS, ABS activation resulted in my rear-ending another car. No damage to my vehicle in either crash, '92 Jeep then, '01 RX300 "now". And only slight damage to the other vehicles.

Who do I report that to...?

ABS should NEVER activate unless VSC indicates the need.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    NipponDenso, Denso HVAC design engineers, IDIOTS all...!!!

Isn't this the same company that designed the seemingly trouble prone Honda AC units?
    Like Bosch in europe, Nippondenso is the primary electric/electronic systems supplier in the Asian market.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2010
    Isn't this the same company that designed the seemingly trouble prone Honda AC units?

Yep, Denso per the forum posts.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to speak with consumers who, in the past six months were car-shopping and decided not to buy a Toyota they were considering. Please send some brief comments and the make/model of your chosen vehicle to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 5, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    In case you missed it, click here for lots of other Toyota recalls. The most troubling one to me is the valve springs. The article starts like this. Hope my 2006 Avalon doesn't have valve spring problems. Luckily I have the extended warranty for two more years.
    "In 20 years, odds are few people will remember that 2010 was one of the worst years for Toyota in terms of recalls, but for now, it seems like the company just can't win for losing. The company has announced that it is currently preparing to recall a total of 270,000 Toyota Crown and Lexus LS, GS and IS models worldwide. As it turns out, some of the company's 4.6-liter V8 and 3.5-liter V6 engines were built using faulty valve springs that may cause the car to stall while driving. Around 180,000 of the faulty powerplants were sold outside of Japan."
    Click below for article.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/01/breaking-toyota-admits-270-000-cars-have-faul- ty-engines-worldwi/2#comments
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "Chrysler Group announced that it has issued a recall for 600,000 vehicles today for a range of safety concerns.

The company announced that the recall was in light of concerns including faulty brakes, sticky accelerators, and electrical fires. "

Wait, what? Oh, right. You were complaining about Toyota, not Chrysler safety problems. Aw, what's 600,000 bad Chryslers when there is Toyota to pick on.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >. Aw, what's 600,000 bad Chryslers when there is Toyota

I must have missed the Chrysler owners and salespeople making claims through the last decade about how perfect and wonder and SAFE their cars are... Claims about how their cars are worth an extra high price because, just because, they were so well engineered and designed... Salesmen acting like anything else was trash, just trash because it was a US brand. :P

My, my, how things have changed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    indeed, man, that is what is making this whole Toyota meltdown so fun...I...I mean interesting...ahh...I...I mean terrible for Toyota fanatics and stockholders and employees to take in. I am now finding it hard to believe......how anyone would plunk down cold hard cash for a new Toyota of any flavor or any generation.

Or any motor. :shades:

Rock on to some vintage Foghat and enjoy watching some good TV this weekend. Or play some fun golf. Or come on to Edmunds and read the posts by Toyota fans in utter flail and frustration. :P

Did I say that? Go Mitsubishi and Kia Motors! Whoo-hoo!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• tinkerbell07tinkerbell07 Member Posts: 28
    There isn't a single forum here where someone isn't detailing their woes with a particular vehicle, be it Toyota, Honda, Ford, GMC, etc. Fewer people step up to say how much they love their vehicle. Me....I don't love any vehicle! They are a necessary evil. I'm a native New Yorker, displaced to Florida where I either drive or stay home. Public transit is nearly non-existent. So I have no loyalty or personal feelings to any car or car maker. It's just a necessary drain on my finances and I would prefer not to have a car. Having said that...I've owned 2 Dodges, 1 a 1996 Caravan and 1 a (drum roll....) Dodge Omni. OMG on the last one. Both disasters!!!!! I've had a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, which could borrow the mantra "Fix or Repair Daily" from Ford. I've owned the classic 1966 Ford Mustang (talk about Fix or Repair Daily...). And I've owned 2 Toyotas, now on my 3d Toyota (2 Corollas and a RAV-4, respectively), plus my husband has a 2005 Corolla. The Toyotas have, without exception, been fantastic! Requiring the usual maintenance and little else. All held up exceptionally (the RAV-4 is new so can't include). All were great values. So I am not one for trashing Toyota, and I think it's ridiculous to jump on that bandwagon. Next year it'll be someone else, maybe Honda (their popular CRV with its transverse mounted engine pulls hard to the right and changes lanes w/o help from the driver), or maybe some other company. Cars are just machines, after all...
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Tinkerbelle07, you speak the truth. Cars are machines and if you properly maintain them, fix little things before they become big things, etc., they will usually serve you fairly well. I have owned a lot of different vehicles in my 50+ years of driving, and I can honestly say that I have never owned a total lemon (some were close). I post on this forum because I got tired of American vehicles in the early 1990s, and bought a Toyota Camry. It quickly proved to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. The 2007 Avalon that I drive now is a great ride, lots of room, honest 30MPG, peppy enough for me. I, too, get real tired of folks who have never owned a Toyota product jumping on the trash bandwagon. There are very few automakers out there right who are not having some quality issues. Maybe too much technology too fast?????
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Maybe too much technology too fast?????

I think it has more to do with greed than anything else. Ordering your suppliers to lower their price by 30%? What kind of idiot would do that? How that bean counter ever got into such a position at Toyota is unbelievable. Hopefully not ever again.
    edited July 2010
    Why don't you go out and drive the Avalon and experience it. I would buy a new Avalon without any hesitation. Look at Ford, GMC and Chrysler record on recalls and they have been numerous.

...right. I have way too much automotive design integrity to even get near a Toyota product ta buy. Way, way too much. Toyota's are appliances, strictly. The Celica, xA, tC, perhaps even the more mundane Yaris, the under-development FA-86 Coupe, those Toyota products have some design fungus-sh-wayy to them, and merit some more discussion...so go ahead and put another Foghat album on and let it enable you to think by virtue of their unrivalled boogie-blues prowess.

You see, the minute a Toyota Prius, Frankie Avalon, Clamry or Adam Caa-roollllll-aaa start looking like tasty purchase morsels to me, the entire state of Arizona might as well morph right back in ta Mexico again. I...mean for the first time. And live in peace with the drug-gunnists there.

I see no future in dull appliance rigs like Toyota's...have some design fungus-schway. Dig in ta that big backyard hamburger and turn up Uncle Ted playing 'Stranglehold' and get yer minds thinking design and integrity. Toyota, Honda and here's another one...Sue-barr-uuu...yukk!

They send their youngins down ta the basement with their etch-a-sketchs and demand that they come up with another bland or ugly vehicle. Are they rewarding their little brats with free new Subaru's when they turn 16 for coming up with some of these ugly rigs? Have you purused a modern Subaru lately? Sheesh! Come on! Get some glasses and get some serious body design-flow integrity flowing smoothly. Like a GP jump shot over Michael Jordan.

Mitsubishi has it down well and Peter Schreyer (former Audi Design Chief now working for Kia Motors) has it down well. Study their cars and get back ta class and we'll chat ourselves up silly about it.

Heck, even VW is on the up body design wise. If they could just build rigs that don't turn in to electrical jell-O and cost owner/operators hundreds and thousands of dollars in electrical repair bills I might take a longer look at those German-built vehicles.

Design study-up though before coming back ta class or you'll just be talking out yer...ummm....pie holes in glorious unison.

• triplej51triplej51 Member Posts: 48
    I think it has more to do with greed than anything else. Ordering your suppliers to lower their price by 30%? What kind of idiot would do that? How that bean counter ever got into such a position at Toyota is unbelievable. Hopefully not ever again.

I know the article to which you're referring but whatever you read you misunderstood what was printed. You might want to reread it for more detailed context and deeper understanding. It says nothing about demaning that suppliers lower prices by 30% ( that may only be your interpretation ). It also says nothing about the US nor N America.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Actually the ES350 is a re-badge of the Camry. The Avalon is bigger and a lot roomier than either the Camry or ES350. Of course the Genesis tops all 3 in just about every category. Plus has the best safety score. No history of UA either. How can you go wrong.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Toyota said it was replacing the valve spring in the recalled vehicles, produced between July 2005 and August 2008 — Lexus models GS350, GS450h, GS460, IS350, LS460, LS600h, LS600hL and Crown models.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2001567,00.html#ixzz0sr6gYjjr

this problem went unnoticed for over 3 years?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Another black eye for Toyota. Sure hope this stops or Toyota may be in trouble in the coming years. :blush:
    Unnoticed...NO,....IGNORED...!

Probably only rose to the surface due to all the other adverse publicity.
    Maybe enough people got left by the side of the road with a dead Lexus, to get their attention. I don't put the problem in quite the same light as unsolved UA issues. Still when you buy a $45k + vehicle you expect the engine to keep running. Am I to understand this is an instant failure? No warning that the engine is near death?
    edited July 2010
    I know this observation to be true...that Toyota leads the world in SUA incidents. Of all SUA incidents reported, Toyota vehicles are the culprit about 75% of the time. And though the "experts" are pardoning away Toyota mechanical systems for these accidental "burst of energy" incidents, they have still happened.

The pedal re-shape and floor mat redo's and all are having an impact in reducing repeat SUA incidents. But it's those blasted other ones where pedal and mat have been absolved of blame that get to me a bit.

What's causing those other SUA incidents? ECU bugs of some flavor...the off duty CHP Officer and his family had a horrible surprise one day on the freeway in San Diego that will never be forgotten. I know all carmakers make miskakes and have recalls and such.

Mitsubishi has had a problem with covering up a defect in one of their model's engines around ten years ago...and they made the horrible sales mistake of offering great 0-0-0 deals to mostly young men with bad credit. It came back to bite them cleanly in the hindquarters, too. But Mitsubishi is not having SUA incidents and they're not having things go on that they're running from or refusing to fix. For being so cash-rich why is Toyota being so greedy in refusing to come clean with fixes of faults and recalls and hitches in their glitches, pops?

Do you feel good being one of their customers? And you're telling me you feel safe, too?

I always thought Mitsu were referred to as "blue smokers"? I've only had one twice as a rental and didn't find them too memorable. However, I respect any person's individual choice and preferences.

I don't have an Avalon, but I do own a Camry. My only complaint has been the seat bottoms are too short on long trips. Haven't experienced all these other supposed problems. If Toyota was that bad, I'd expect their sales would be tumbling. They may have not gained as big of a percentage as some others (Toyota sales did not go down either), but their base the percentage is calculated on is often larger negating a straight sales increase percentage comparison (e.g. they sell a lot more Camry's than Malibu or Fusion). I do think many vehicles are getting closer to each other in quality though and wouldn't pay any significant premium any more for a Toyota or Honda.

As for SUA, you need to look at the base number probabilities of occurrence. The differences in rate aren't all that critical to me when the likelihood of experiencing it in any modern vehicle is out on the edge of the bell curve. You need to understand the base, and the concept of outliers, before you draw a firm conclusion on "differences" when using statistics. When probabilities are out on the edge of the curve, you can be dealing with noise more than a significant issue. Yes, the results of SUA can be scary or harmful, especially if you don't have time to react, but so is any accident and you are probably more likely to be T-boned or in a head on collision than experiencing SUA these days.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited July 2010
    Hi, folks,

A number of posts have been removed because we seem to have veered off into 80's-90s music, Avalon emissions, miscellaneous road trips, nice Canadians and other stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the topic, which is "Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall".

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I am a nice Canadian, but thank you for getting this forum finally back on track.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    you certainly used a big broom.
    the first thing i did when i saw all those posts were deleted, was to check my email for a nasty gram, but didn't see one.
    i guess i am guilty for introducing the music angle, but i was fishing for some info.
    my opinion is that the Camry and Avalon are at the very least fraternal twins.
    that is why they are both included in the models covered under this discussion.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Lest we forget. The Avalon that was brought into the dealership with a WOT. After an unknown fix given back to the customer. No further trouble reported that I know of.

Question?? Did the dealer swap out the ECU or what? The throttle body controller was changed according to the paper work given the customer. NOT the throttle controller or pedal. This was a well documented case of UA within the engine/transmission and associated electronics. No jammed floor mats. Just a customer with an Avalon running at full throttle. Turning the engine off and restarting did not solve the problem. What did Toyota learn from that vehicle. So far I don't think they are sharing the info with the public.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Gary says, "What did Toyota learn from that vehicle. So far I don't think they are sharing the info with the public. "

I don't think we "need to know" the details of problem or the solution.

I do think this, however: If Toyota learned anything substantial, they are probably testing the solution on other cars before announcing anything.

Maybe this was an isolated case in which the solution to this car's problem does not apply to the other vehicles or even other Avalons.
    edited July 2010
    gremlin issue with SUA, I would think more than twice about buying one. And I am one who was once gaga over the Scion xA and tC. To the point of laying down cash for either one. The 2006 xA, for only $14,235 in 5-speed form and Polar White color, was a bargain for what you got. I test drove one of them in Idaho Falls, ID, and loved it. I also had my eyes on a 2007 Toyota Yaris 4-dr. sedan in 5-speed form, too, in Pocatello, ID. All three cars I was ready to trade in for. The other half, with her common sense and love for our '01 Kia Sportage 4X4, neatly boxed those ideas of mine in and blew them up to smithereens for me.

Point is that I'm not a Toyota hater. Promise. But these SUA problems are reported more by Toyota than all the other manufacturers combined. That's a lingering problem that trimming floor mats and re-shaping accelerator pedals won't fix.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited July 2010
    From the Wall Street Journal:

"The U.S. Dept. of Transportation has analyzed dozens of data recorders from Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration and found that at the time of the crashes, throttles were wide open and the brakes were not engaged, people familiar with the findings said.

The results suggest that some drivers who said their Toyota and Lexus vehicles surged out of control were mistakenly flooring the accelerator when they intended to jam on the brakes. But the findings don't exonerate Toyota from two known issues blamed for sudden acceleration in it's vehicles: Sticky accelerator pedals and floor mats that can trap accelerator pedals to the floor".

I would post a link if I knew how !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    This thread has run its course. There hasn't been any relevant posts or news for that matter concerning the subject in weeks. Time to lock it down. There are too many posts now for any new person to read thru to actually know what went on here.

I must say I learned a lot between this thread and the Toyota on the mend in 2010 thread during the peak of the recalls and sua incidents back in height of the issue around January. Many knowledgeable posters here and good discussions went on. However, lately this has been mostly a waste of time.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    At last, some light is shed on the hysterical allegations of sudden acceleration by Toyota cars. How is it possible that, after the first few cases were reported, the problem just magically disappeared?
    LOL, I think once these scammers realized the cars had computers in them that would show evidence of just what happened they quit screaming and trying to cash in and started ducking !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    "BREAKING: NHTSA Blames Driver Error For Toyota Unintended Acceleration"

NHTSA admits that is has yet to find any sign of a problem with Toyota’s electronic throttle control system, the main system targeted by Sean Kane, and congressional hearings.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I agree. The halt of Toyota vehicle sales is over, and the relevant Toyota recall information posting is buried back a ways. If there are new issues relating to recalls, let that person start a new "Toyota Avalon Recalls" thread. This thread is also linked to eight separate vehicles, which makes the posts even more confusing.

These Edmunds Forums are set up to get good information and discussion on a particular vehicle. Let's get back to that.
    Looks like the whole fiasco was nothing but a false alarm. Just a bunch of crooks trying to fake accidents and cash in.

Now that some solid evidence is available I expect the whole thing to die a quiet death.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I'm still waiting for the results from the NASA testing....
    Sadly, i don't think these conclusions are going to bring "closure" to the families who lost loved ones in "mysterious" 'Yota crashes.
    I stated early on that I felt many of these were driver error and noted that just looking around at drivers the Camry had become the modern day blue hair Olds 88 or Grand Marquis. It has never really been uncommon for cars to smack into buildings or on to sidewalks, especially in areas with older drivers. If you read the papers around the country you'll see articles about these type of incidents more frequently than you'd expect.

I do believe there can be an occasional electronic gremlin, just like on a computer and that's why I'm leery of smart key ignitions. However, the worst probability I saw in the various articles was something like a 1 in 45,000 occurrence of SUA in Toyota (which was the highest incident rate of the car makers). However, realistically that represents very small fraction of a single percentage point probability. Eliminate driver error, and that fraction likely gets much smaller yet. So I'm not surprised at all about the flame out after all the hype. I own a Camry and think I'm much more likely to get T-boned or become the victim of a head-on than experiencing SUA. I did do a precautionary dry run shifting into neutral and turning the key down one notch (which incidentally even worked for that SIU professor), but I'm not going to live my life in the extreme tail of a bell curve and am not frantically considering selling my Toyota either.
    Now that some solid evidence is available I expect the whole thing to die a quiet death.

Personally, I'd wait for NASA's findings.
    edited July 2010
    Sadly, many thousands of good people are killed annually on our highways. I don't think there is ever much closure in deaths of this sort, be it in a Toyota or any other car brand.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

When that report comes in and also shows DRIVER ERROR as the cause of every reported incident, then what will you be waiting on?

Looks like all those fancy theories about faulty electronics have just been knocked into a cocked hat !! :P

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "BREAKING: NHTSA Blames Driver Error For Toyota Unintended Acceleration"

Sort of interesting to see who broke the story, if you can believe the stories:

Did Toyota Plant DOT Driver Error Story? (Inside Line)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    For those being burned by emotional comments from toyotaphiles, this story is too good not to list the text. AND it's on Edmunds, which gives it even more credibiity.

And may I add, it's what I suspected for the second time about toyota trying to twist the grain of sand and get their version out before the NHSTA or other source actually gives the "rest of the story."

Quote:
    A reporter with Just-auto spoke with a representative from the NHTSA who claims that Toyota was the sole source of information asserting driver-error as the cause of all sudden acceleration claims.

"That story was planted by Toyota," an NHTSA spokeswoman in Washington told just-auto. "Toyota is the source - yes we know that for definite.

"It is [the] Toyota PR machine. We knew they were going to put it out."

If the official word is driver error, we aren't likely to know about it any time soon. The NHTSA and DOT are still working with NASA amongst other groups, and have yet to announce final conclusions. Official updates can be found on the NHTSA special Toyota Recall and Investigation page.

End quote.

Doesn't sound like weasel words in their comment. They are CLEAR that toyota planted the story.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

No surprises there. Looking back at the situation. I don't recall any outcry or data on UA being posted here on Edmund's until the Saylor accident. Then we find out that there were and are a very high percentage of the total SUA reports to the NHTSA attributed to Toyota and Lexus vehicles. As far as I know that percentage has not changed. Anyone have any recent reports from the NHTSA? I know right after the supposed pedal fix there were still reports. That led to the NASA involvement. I would imagine it will be a long time before they get done with their testing. The US government is not known for their speed except at tax collecting time.
    edited July 2010
    I think it is interesting that no one seems to be disputing the fact that driver error does indeed appear to be the cause of the unintended acceleration at this point in the investigation. The dispute is only over who broke the story. I hardly think it matters too much where the information came from.

If it was Toyota who broke the story, they must have felt that this information was newsworthy, and I would agree with that assessment.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited July 2010
    "...no one seems to be disputing..."

Don't count me in that list.

Yes, the majority of SUA, especially short term SUA incidents, are more likely than otherwise the result of driver confusion, faulty floor mats, or even sticking gas pedals. But that does not account for Saylor, Sikes, or the Smith lady. And then there is the incident wherein the car was driven to the dealer with the engine ROARING at full throttle.
  • sharonklsharonkl Member Posts: 660
    Hi, has been a long time since I blogged. H-mmm nice great long vacation trip.

Go to House Commerce governemnt site and actually read what. Oversight Committee had documented as to what is actually going on. Click on hearing tab - click on oversight. Check the Academy of Sciences Website also. They are conducting an investigation also, but I can't find any online documentation. Sean Kane Safety Research & Strategies wrote a summary of that meeting. At least can give some insight what discussed. Yes, I do know many do not like him. But have found many of articles are true, but does blast away. Wish Academy of Scientist would have online documents, but I have not found.

NASA scientists have investigation going on also.

Go to Edmunds Toyota on Mend - I posted links to info.

wwest you will find government documents long, but quite interesting for what they reveal about Dr Gilberts study and Toyota's debunking Dr Gilbert's study at televised press broadcast. See for yourself what Washington hired independent engineers/professors thought of Dr Gilbert's study. As Dr Gilbert always said and introduced as only a preliminary study and felt was just beginning - appears several independent experts feel his SUA study was good and was good place to start. Note Dr Gerdes from Standford that Toyota asked to review Dr Gilbert's work finally admitted to oversight committee study was logical, & good place to start. See what government heard from their expert independent engineers about the Toyota televised broadcast. I think alot of this is in Stupak document.

See documents - the debunking of Sean Kane and Dr Gilbert poll set up for Toyota, plus same debunking credibility of same individuals approach methods formulated by a consulting firm.

Also Toyota pressured University of Southern Illinois and successfully shut down Dr Gilbert. Attempted to get him fired. AP posted news report this past weekend. AP requested all information from school under the Freedom of Public Inofrmation Act, and finally got - so story could be written. This is why Dr Gilbert is quiet. I had already seen a report earlier, but this one was most recent. All is quiet now, so no other news agencies jumping on story. Smile - is old news now.

Recently towards end of June Washington hired engineers claimed to have found existing brake overrride being present on older Toyota models. End of June Oversight Committee sent letter to Toyota. Documents show Washington upset at Toyota, after Toyota did not reveal this information during all the testimony and/or individual discussions/interviews. I posted links to review document letter yesterday.

Documents reveal Toyota's hired expert engineering Exponent has multiple shenanigans that have been uncovered. As you are aware I had no respect for Exponent from my professional medical work and resulting research I did on firm long time ago.. Not surprised, just didn't know if lawmakers and experts presently would catch. Just know you gotta watch Exponent - they play dirty, but are very good at what they do.

Refer to government docuemnts of billing costs paid to Exponent for this SUA defense since Dec, 2009. Exponent received $3+ million. Somhow I have difficulty seeing how they can make claim debunking Sean Kane and Dr Gilbert claiming Dr Gilbert hired by attorneys - Gilbert was only paid total hours worked - $1800 + $4000 paid for equipment to complete study with agreement equipment left for auto technology school. University approved Dr Gilbert's research study and they do have high guidelines/standards that must be followed to avoid biased research studies. .

SUA Verdict is still out. Could be at least another year. We shall see. I am still in pending mode.
    edited July 2010
    I appreciate you both for wanting the truth on Toyota vehices and their SUA, because you both have spent money on Toyota automotive products. You think that doesn't matter, Edmunds readership? It sure does! Neither of these Edmunds posters just blindly sticks behind Toyota just because they've spent money on Toyota products, as it should be. It's called honesty. Something Toyota is sorely lacking in, huh?

The US government is not known for their speed except at tax collecting time.

gagrice, how else are they supposed to keep building huge warships and fast jet aeroplane man-o-wars for all of us? The U.S. Federal Guv-Mint is ever-so-proficient at collecting taxes from us, at a high percentage-per-dollar earned. Always have and dare I say they always....gulp...will?

• karie23karie23 Member Posts: 2
    I was in the process of buying a 2010 Highlander just this past week when I came across a story that a 33 year old mom in Fort Worth, TX was killed April 30 in her 2010 Toyota Highlander. She dies, her 2 young children survived. I watched the news clip several times and listened to the drivers that saw what happened and I kept concluding that the damn thing ran away with her. I walked away from a very good deal and I'm really upset about this. Does anyone know what the findings were in this? Google "fort worth mom killed in toyota".
    asking if anyone experienced SUA on their Toyota to call XYZ law firm. Thought that was interesting to say the least.
    might as well get the personal injury lawyers involved. Spose it's time.