Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

Comments

• badtruck1badtruck1 Member Posts: 1
    Well looks like I'm not the only one. I too have a colorado and last night at 38,001 miles my fault light came on also. I hate to think about how much this is going to cost, why at 38k, why is everyone having the same problem as I and chevy has not taken care of it? Do i go out and buy A Toyota? Oh that's right I have an 88 toyota p/u and have never had a problem with that, shame on you American made cars.
  • pgallensteinpgallenstein Member Posts: 14
    I've got an 06 Colorado with 22,000 miles. ABS fault alarm has been going off and on for the past few day. At 22k this shouldn't happen. Just wanted to vent my frustration, maybe GM will recall.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    pgallenstein,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? Have your spoke with your local GM dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    email sent.
  • kmartickmartic Member Posts: 12
    My advice to everyone is to save your money,live with the abs issues and don't hold out any hope for help from the online customer service. Have replaced 5 front hubs and abs sensors. The bearings last a short time even if you are careful to torque the hubs to specs. The sensors are a joke and start acting up almost immediately and at all different times and conditions. The last fan resister just went again after 3 months of very little use because the truck can't stay on the road it is always breaking. Just finished complete brake system repair,and I mean complete down to all new hardware,wheel cylinders, calipers, rotors, hoses,everything. It has been less than a 1000 miles and the pass. front is hanging, abs is again intermittent and now the tranny is starting to bang into second. This is on a truck with 69000 miles now. Wait to you get to work on the rear brakes with the engineering marvel, horseshoe shaped brake shoe spring anchor. I swear that GM's engineers must be smoking something, or there must be a special tool for this peach of an idea. Customer service is not really concerned just pretends. Has anyone had GM help them out and solved just the brake issues on these nitemare systems? Good luck everyone I am looking to go Ford, can't keep this frustrating piece of design incompetence much longer!!!!!!
  • thatoneryguythatoneryguy Member Posts: 2
    Its terrible that so many people are having the same ABS problem with no resolution from the manufacturer. I bought the truck because it was "very reliable" and only had 15000 miles on it. Now with just over 25000 there is a problem with it which equals 4 of my monthly payments! I can't afford to fix it and there is no warranty because I'm the second owner. No brakes can mean dead drivers, even though I only drive 3-4 miles a day its still a concern.
    I filed a safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), hoping that GM will realize there is a defect. I don't know if will do any good but it doesn't hurt to try.
    What was the procedure for filing the complaint as I would like to also. Everyone who owns one of these gems should too. Thanks,Keith
    thatoneryguy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to have the vehicle diagnosed by your local GM dealership. Please keep me posted when the problem has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    edited August 2011
    Here is the link for filing a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    I just got my Colorado back from dealership and it was diagnosed with a defective left front speed sensor. I was given an estimate on best & worst case scenario to fix ($320/$700). Technician also told me that they have never had a "best case scenario." He told me that this was a defect in the Colorado's. He actually used the word "defect". I chose not to fix, I just don't think this should happen on any vehicle with 22k. I hope more people will file complaints and maybe GM will do a recall.
  • bjmcgarry6bjmcgarry6 Member Posts: 2
    I also made a complaint to the say website. no vehicle should never be having any type of problem like this especially when they are not even 5 years old with less than 100,000 miles on them. Maybe after more complaints go through the DOT website they can look further into the problem since its obvious GM has not
  • jonno62jonno62 Member Posts: 1
    My truck now has abs light intermittantly and abs engages when stopping the first time after starting. The first problems was the power locks and drivers window sometimes dont work,the radio loses time,front tires wear unevenly and the truck was bogging down on a couple of occassions. The truck currently has 35k miles. Cant wait to see what happens next. Always been a Chevy guy but I think Toyota is going to get my business. :lemon:
  • cdsoundzdjcdsoundzdj Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same issues with my ABS light faulting. Same deal 2004 Canyon. I have had one wheel hub replaced and 2 sensors and still the randon fault.

Any help ypu can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    cdsoundzdj,
    When did you have this replaced? Did you have this done at the dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • thatoneryguythatoneryguy Member Posts: 2
    Caron,

I took my vehicle to the local GM dealership, and they had informed me that they have seen a lot of issues similar to mine. My warranty was 3 year, 36,000 miles, but they were unable to include this issue under my warranty because it is older than 3 years even though it only has 24,000 miles. They told me that the cost to repair could be as little as $300-500 or upwards of $1,000. Without 'trial and error' they were unable to tell me if the issue were just the abs sensor, wiring, wheel bearing, or the entire breaking assembly. They informed me that the problem may only get worse but should not cause issues with other components of the vehicle. I chose not to get my truck repaired yet because I cannot afford it.

-Ryan
  • brewerguybrewerguy Member Posts: 11
    Ryan, My '05 has just 50K and since the ABS fault appears only once in a while and causes no problems, I'm refusing to pay $1,000 to MAYBE get it fixed. I love everything else about my truck.
    thatoneryguy,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron,GM Customer Service
  • madcoloradomadcolorado Member Posts: 1
    I am having what seems to be the same problem as alot of other colorado owners. For some reason my ABS system randomly turns on for a period of time followed by an "ABS Break Fault" indicator light message on my dash. After the break fault the ABS system turns off and the truck drives like normal. I took it into the dealership and they came back with this solution: Replace failed front hubs, Replace front break pads and turn rotors, Replace leaking right front axle seal, all for $2100! I wasn't having any trouble with the pads, and not even sure that this will fix the ABS problem. Am I beeing taken for a ride? I told them to put it back togeather and I would take it somewhere else... Not sure what to do next.
  • tmarshfieldtmarshfield Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Caron,

Given the number of complaints for ABS Faults in trucks that are not that old (and some have very low miles), is GM going to take corrective action and recall this problem? There is obviously a design flaw with the system that is causing this to occur in many vehicles. Expecting consumers to pay to fix such a flaw seems to be very poor business practice on the part of GM and not a way to keep loyal customers.
  • jjgolfhackerjjgolfhacker Member Posts: 5
    So at about 80k I had to replace one of the hubs due to the speed sensor. Now several months and 4k miles later I just got my first ABS fault again. I'm assuming the ring on the wheel bearing for the other hub is seperating from the bearing and it will only be another couple of thousand miles and there will be a constant failure and I will be forced to replace the other hub. Sorry, as a retired Army guy, I've always been US Made products through and through...but I just bought my first Kia (sedan) and when i have to replace my truck with a SUV, it will be a Kia or Hyundai. Never again will I but a Chevrolet or GM product.
  • buyusbuyus Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    $2100 seems kind of pricey. The problem with the ABS on these trucks is the front sensors self destruct. Fact: Dealers are expensive! I did my own repairs to resolve the ABS problem and it cost me about $500 and about 6 hours of my life. I now have NEW wheel bearings, NEW ABS sensors, NEW rotors and NEW calipers and no front brake problems. Don't know where they came up with the other $1600 unless their labor rates are $200/hour and their parts cost more than twice what I paid.
    Yes, it's typical big business these days to ignore potentially dangerous flaws in your products. GM won't ever recall this because it contiues to make their dealerships money and the US government won't crack down on them because of their financial partnership. Another blow against the working middle class who, unfortunately, buys most of their products. Shame on GM. They should at least have a "program" to take care of this design flaw for the many people who show up at their dealerships with related ABS problems. You would think that given the current condition of their business that they would want to keep as many loyal customers as possible. There is absolutely NO integrity in business these days!
    I'm no mechanic but $2100 seems awlful expensive to me. I would encourage you to file a safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Maybe if enough complaints are filed, GM might be forced to do a recall. If you do choose to pay to have your truck fixed I would save all receipts. You would get reimbursed if there would be a recall.
    madcolorado,

I would like to start a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing as well as your user name from the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    tmarshfield,

While my department is not responsible for issuing recalls these concerns are documented for review by the department that does make these decisions.

Thank you,
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Member Posts: 1
    Well...after having my truck in the shop AGAIN and wondering why they can;t fix it...I went here and see I'm not the ONLY one with junk happening to my truck. ABS sensor..that was not broken but replaced anyway...wheel bearing, new brakes, rotors, that was just this time at $1700.00. How about the bad air bag sensor, I had a fan go out..the truck had to be re-grounded, battery lights on...there is always some sort of sensor/blinking light/beeping going on...I'm the second owner (no wonder) and a single mom and can;t afford any more repairs...hard enough to just maintain my truck, but now to find out my "routine" maintenance is really a problem for ALOT of Colorado owners. Thought I would hand this truck down to my teenager...but now maybe should just try to get rid of it...and darn..I'm a Chevy brat...my dad worked there for over 30 years, hate to turn my back on Chevy.
    colorado_mom,
    Thank you for your loyalty to GM and Chevrolet. Can you email me your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you. I apologize for your concerns and frustrations. Have a great weekend! I look forward to your response. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gooser1gooser1 Member Posts: 1
    the problem for me started when i did rotors and pads on my truck. i didnt know how the rotor assembly came appart and i damaged the the speed sensor. the abs light came on so i bought a new sensor now im having that problem whers the light is off but the brakes are vibrating and then the light comes on and its back to normal, this happens averytime i start the truck. crazy.
  • mrdadroxmrdadrox Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. I have an 07 Colorado with not only the ABS Fault, but the cruise control doesn't work and the air conditioning isn't cold. I'm so dissapointed.... and this is my first (and likely last) GM Truck. A recall on the ABS MIGHT change my opinion, but not likely. :mad:
    Go to this site and make a safety complaint.
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • stevieb45stevieb45 Member Posts: 3
    I to have the same problem with my 2004 Canyon, Just had the service done at GM. They told me that the hubs and bearings etc all need to be change including calipers etc. I also have the engine light up on the dash. These have been up since I had about 80,000 on the truck. I have now got 107,000 and the truck is still running ok. GM wanted about 2000$ to do the job. They wanted to Charge me $400.00 for just one of the hub and bearings. I've looked on some parts sites and the parts are anything from 150$ upwards. So why are they charging so much for the parts? I will Buy the parts in the states as I'm in Canada and get it repaired else where. The job will come to about 600$ That's with all new brakes as well.
  • johns996johns996 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem with my 06 Colorado. I had my front brakes replaced this past Feb. even though my truck only had 38k miles on it. Cost about $750. The guys at the repair place said the brakes on my truck take a ton of labor to take apart and this was the main reason for the repairs costing so much.

A few months later the ABS fault light blinked on. It turned off after shutting off the truck but after another couple of days it turned back on again. Around this time the ABS started to engage when I was just coming to a stop when only going about 10 MPH. I took the truck back into the shop and was told it would cost only about $50 for new ABS sensors but taking the brake system apart would be another 6 hours of labor and probably cost about $800.

I wish I could do these repairs myself but I can't. I wish I could afford to just get it fixed, but how much money will I have to put into this truck to fix a problem GM seemed to create (based on the amount of similar complaints here). So, for now, I just drive with the ABS randomly going off. This is what my repair shop, unofficially, told me to do. They even thought it was a rip off.
  • robbinsfamilyrobbinsfamily Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Colorado with 42,000 miles. ABS Fault light comes on often, and usually resets after turning the truck off and then on. Does anyone know if there's a recall for this issue ?
    mrdadrox,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Were you planning on having the vehicle fixed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • lynnie63lynnie63 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    I am so glad to have found this forum while researching what is going on with my 2006 Colorado. I am having the very same problems as all of you with my ABS brakes and in general many electrical issues. I have never replaced so many bulbs in a truck as this one! I had a blower replaced in 2008 and this past year the wiring harness to the blower melted and had to get wiring redone. As for the ABS I took it to two places and one told me it was ABS sensor the other told me to pull the fuse! When I took the fuse out it seemed that although my warning lights were on I didn't have any problems with the ABS brakes engaging, or perhaps it was coincidence. I am not any bit mechanically inclined to know much of fixing vehicles and other than check my tire pressure, check oil and fluids and fill my gas tank I have to be at the mercy of mechanics. Yesterday my ABS brakes engaged once again going down my side street at about 20-25mph, no lights came on my dash and after shutting the vehicle off and restarting it I am fine once again. I do a lot of traveling with my truck and I am getting worried about the safety of my vehicle. I can't afford to spend the money for new ABS sensors and especially if it might not even be the problem. This is my first Chevy and I think the last. The last time I took it to the dealer the ABS lights on the dash weren't on and it was fine so they couldn't do anything about it. I have told them about all the electrical problems and they don't even seem concerned. I would like to stay tuned here on this forum to see what we can do to get this resolved. Thanks for listening!
    robbinsfamily,

I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email us your VIN and current mileage.

Thank you,
    lynnie63,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. When was the last time you have taken your vehicle to the dealership and what is the name of the dealer?

Thank you,
  • lynnie63lynnie63 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Caron. The last time I brought my truck to the dealership was May 17th 2011. At the time I was having problems with my ABS but since the warning lights weren't on they didn't see any problem.(cost $36.00) I also was experiencing problems with my heater/ac blower (blower only worked on highest setting) and had the heater blower resistor and connector replaced. They told me that the wiring had actually melted! Is this normal?? The dealership is Hight, Farmington ME.

On May 6th I brought my truck to Midas where I currently live and they did the diagnostic stating that the ABS sensor on the right front wheel was bad and it was about an 800.00 job! (why didn't Hight see that on the 17th?) I went somewhere else and they told me to take out the fuse and it bought me quite a bit of time! Fuse has been back in for quite a while now since I had to take the truck for inspection and didn't want all the lights on my dash!
    lynnie63,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN and current mileage sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a description of the problems you are experiencing or just include your user name from the forum?

Thank you,
    edited September 2011
    I had it replaced at my local garage as the dealership kept giving me the run-around about my brakes not needing repair. The hub was replaced as was the sensor about 8 months ago. I just recently had my front brakes replaced for the first time since I purchased the truck and the ABS fault resumed randomly showing up . . . again.

What concerns me the most is that the ABS is actually kicking in without me even applying the brake at all. This to me is a safety issue. My concern grows even more as winter approaches and I live in the northeast where snow is heavy. 98% of the time it happens within the first few miles of driving, and as of recent I noticed that if I put the truck in neutral and turn it off and restart it, the ABS activating stops and the fault does NOT register.

It appears that I am not alone with this problem and hope you can assist get it resolved.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and I apologize for not posting back sooner as I am caring for my 81 year old father-in-law.
    cdsoundzdj,

I completely understand. What I would like to do is set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • bear3985bear3985 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2006 Colorado ext. cab with 38050 miles on it. the abs alarm started to alarm off and on about 2 months ago. i can not get it to a shop before the alarm goes off . i have had the abs checked for codes The codes are c0035,c0040,c0899,u1064, i can understand the battery code as i had to have the battery replaced at 35,000 miles. i cannot afford a lot of expense to repair as i am on a fixed income i need to know just what needs to be repaired. thanks bear3985
  • bear3985bear3985 Member Posts: 2
    what is the email address that i send this information to thanks bear3985
    bear3985,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Unfortunately, I am unable to diagnose the vehicle. I would encourage you to take your vehicle into your local GM dealership as they are better qualified to diagnose the vehicle.

Thank you,
    What is the email address to send my info to?

Is this it? socialmedia@gm.com
    cdsoundzdj,
    That is the correct email. Please put your Edmunds user name is the subject line. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jerseyswampjerseyswamp Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same ABS fault problems on my 2005 Chevy Colorado. Its not clear to me from reading through this forum including the answers from the GM service representative whether or not this is a safety issue. If there is a design flaw I'm hoping GM steps up and does the right thing informing Colorado owners of this problem.
    As I have been following these brake problems for some time I always see GM responses about starting cases. I would like to know if anyone has had GM actually help them. It seems all that gets done is to advise owners to take the truck to a dealership for repair at exorbitant costs. Please respond if anyone has actually been helped by GM for these defaults
    jerseyswamp,
    I apologize for your frustrations. If you would email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer I would be happy to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    The deal GM offered me was, I pay labor cost & GM pays parts cost. Doesn't that sound like GM admitting a faulty part? I felt I had no option and accepted their offer. Labor cost was $181.40. So yes GM did help but not to my satisfaction. My vehicle only had 22k on it.
  • gthomas74gthomas74 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I was just wondering of those who have had there bad speed sensor replaced how much did it cost to replace it? I am told it will be 530.00 to replace cause it takes about three hours to install it properly.