Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Hope this isnt too wide of a picture:

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'll have to take your word for it that it has a tan interior. ;)
    edited September 2010
    Hah sorry I meant if I do go with the Optima I'd like it in that Red with the Tan interior from a few posts back. :)

Here's a youtube of the interior in tan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOQl8l2OQ4
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Re the video. Didn't notice the color difference before in the lighting between the radio/comfort controls and the speedo/tach area. One is red and the other is blue. I would have thought they would have coordinated this a bit more. Takes a little away from the overall coordinated look IMO. Still looks good but wish they could have did better there.
    First drive review.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/09/2011-kia-optima-first-drive.html

Wish they would have commented a little on the Nav and sound systems but it's a good review of the drive and handling on the EX.
    Wow impressive, but I guess not surprising.

2011 North American Car of the Year Short List

Audi A8 - Dont know enough about it.

Buick Regal - Won in Europe didnt it? I like this car, could be a tough competitor.

Chevrolet Cruze - I like the Cruze too.

Chevrolet Volt - Not a big fan of the Volt myself, but it's a solid choice none the less.

Ford Fiesta - I like the Fiesta a lot, other than the name anyway.

Hyundai Sonata/2.0T/Hybrid - Great car, I think I'd put this in the top 3 for sure. Might very well win the title.

Infiniti M37/56 - M series is very nice.

Jaguar XJ - Great looking car.

Kia Optima - Same great engine as the Sonata, better looking imo. Winner!

Mazda Mazda2 - Dont know enough about it.

Nissan Juke - It's uh, interesting looking. Not sure what else to say about it.

Nissan Leaf - Like the Volt, not a fan but I see why it's on there.

Volkswagen Jetta - I cant imagine this would win, sadly.

Volvo S60 - Not a fan of the new look.
    I think this whole COTY thing is kind of silly. Is it just an exercise on paper or looks? If not, how can anyone express an opinion on cars that aren't even on sale yet, had extensive industry test drives or had any kind of owner feedback? There should be strict criteria. The car should have to be available for sale by a certain date so some kind of exposure and feedback is available.
    I am pretty sure there is a for-sale cutoff date on these COTY things. And since they are voted on by the automotive press, which has special access to new designs, it's not necessary that the cars be in wide distribution in order to make a judgment--as long as the voting body can assess the cars beforehand. For example, all the cars in the MT COTY voting get hands-on experience by the panel. Similarly for C/D's 10Best. Not so sure how the NA COTY voting happens.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049751_2011-kia-optima-first-drive

They note the seats are a bit stiff, something to be aware of when I go test drive one. I wonder if it's due to the cooled seating.

"Disappointing seats...but they're cooled!

After just a few minutes in the Optima, it was obvious that my co-driver and I were not going to like the seats. It's the single most disappointing packaging choice in this otherwise stellar sedan. Both of us—me 6'-6" and he about average height—thought that the lower cushions especially felt flat and hard, lacking proper padding and more importantly contouring. On our upscale EX, which comes with a power driver's seat, the passenger-side front seat doesn't adjust for height or tilt, making our complaint about the lack of padding even more dire. But...they're cooled! Heated and cooled front seats, as well as heated rear seats, are optional on both EX and SX models as part of a Premium Package, and we appreciated their effectiveness in the hot sun."

Bottom line:

"All in all, this new, more exciting Optima no longer feels like a stripped down sedan delivered explicitly for those who need low monthly payments. It's a genuine rival to more engaging mid-sizers like the Mazda6, Nissan Altima, and Ford Fusion, and less so to the Hyundai Sonata and the understated Toyota Camry and Chevrolet Malibu.

Kia in recent years has carried the tagline 'power to surprise' and has been building increasingly good products. Having spent plenty of time with the Sonata, the brand delivered an even better car than we expected. Count us, again, as very pleasantly surprised."

and more about the UVO:

"We had the chance to get a brief tour of UVO features and appreciate—as we do with Ford's Sync—the flattened command structure, which would allow you to, say, quickly request a different song from the iPod while you're in the middle of following navigation directions. However, that leads to one of the significant equipment issues: you can't yet get UVO and the navigation system together. Due to the separate way in which the systems were developed—UVO through Kia and Microsoft, and the nav system by the parent company in South Korea—they simply don't play with each other at this point, though Kia expects to soon have a solution. If you do opt for the nav system (packaged with the upgraded audio system), you get a the same Bluetooth system that base Optimas have—by Parrot instead."
    edited September 2010
    If you go and look at the cars.com recent review which I posted a link to previously and check the comments. Someone posted a question regarding the hard seats and the fact that all the test models were EXs with heated/cooled seats. The reviewer followed up with a comment about that and said that he sat in the base with the cloth seats that aren't heated/cooled during the tests and they were hard too. Something to really consider. Like the mpg for long trips but bad seats can be a dealbreaker on those 8 hr drives.

I guess you could use some kind of cushion but who wants to mess with that and how would that affect the heating and cooling aspects if you get the upmodels?

I think there was another review(can't remember where) that I read besides the two mentioned above that mentioned hard seats but not to the extent that this article does.
    Volvo has some of the best seats in the business. They are quite firm. But they feel great on long trips. My 2004 Elantra has very firm seats (leather) also. But the driver's seat is one of the best I've experienced in a reasonably-priced car.

So what I'm trying to say is, "firm" seats don't necessarily translate to "uncomfortable" seats, especially on long trips. If I want cushy seats, I'll buy an old Buick with the sofa-like velour seats. ;)
    I guess there is firm and then there is firm.. Have to wait to sit in one to see which one it is. These auto writers sit in a lot of vehicles and a lot of them have firm seats. So if they were this adamant about the hardness of the Optimas seats it's probably something to put on the old "check this during test drive" list.
    At least it's something easy to check, hard to miss on a test drive. Best thing to do is to rent one for a trip--assuming these new Optimas work their way into rental fleets like the current model. They might not, if sales are brisk.

There's those auto reviewers who need to mention something negative about a car... because. But note they did use the term "firm"--not "uncomfortable".
    After looking at the article it appears they didn't even say firm. They said flat and hard.

After just a few minutes in the Optima, it was obvious that my co-driver and I were not going to like the seats. It's the single most disappointing packaging choice in this otherwise stellar sedan. Both of us—me 6'-6" and he about average height—thought that the lower cushions especially felt flat and hard, lacking proper padding and more importantly contouring

When they say "lacking proper padding and more importantly contouring", it insinuates to me that they found them uncomfortable. But that is just their opinion and I totally agree that auto writers always have to find something to bash. They're kind of like internal auditors...."has to be something to write up to justify my existence".

I sat in a 2011 Edge today that over on the Edge forum a couple of people were complaining about the headrest and how much it slanted forward to the point it was uncomfortable. I found the headrests to be no problem at all. So a seat that is uncomfortble is in the butt of the beholder so to speak. ;)
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    makes a change from all the photos you keep seeing in the lighter colour models, looks a bit like Java Brown or something similar.

I think that's the platinum graphite? Definitely a hot color.

Hybrid and Turbo are set to come to LA Auto Show. Now I'm curious to see if the Optima Hybrid looks different than the others just as the Sonata does. In fact I'll say ahead of time, depending on the details, the Hybrid might be a consideration for me.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6688702/auto-shows/kia-optima-turbo-hybrid-coming-to-l- a-auto-show/index.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Microblog&utm_campaign=Twit- ter%2BTraffic
    This one says a year til they resolve the Nav/UVO compatibility:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049789_2011-kia-optima-uvo-allows-ha- nds-free-calling-audio-features

"But there's one major hitch as of yet: UVO doesn't play (at all) with the navigation system Kia uses, so at least for the first year or so, it's one or the other."

I can always buy a portable NAV right? I was kinda looking forward to an onboard nav though.
    Have you played around at all with a Kia onboard nav? I'm just wondering how good it is. I know there can quite a difference in functionality between car brands on their navs. None are perfect. Cars.com did a test of three onboard and I believe a Garmin from downtown Chicago to White Sox park to a couple of distant suburbs and found quite a difference. They all eventually got you there but there were some big differences in time and distance traveled. Interesting.

I've heard Ford's system is very good and also read good comments on the Acura and Infiniti. Just haven't heard much about the Hyundai or Kia luxury nav systems....good or bad. Most of the time I use my portable nav on trips but sometimes do pull it out and fire it up to find something locally either for directions or POI stuff. Proclip has some nice clips/holders that snap into the dash(car specific) to hold portable elec. devices and look pretty finished but when you remove the item for security you still have the clip there. It's still a lot better than one of those big dash mats or the windshield suction holders. It puts the unit closer to the proximity that an onboard unit would be. Just a thought.
    edited September 2010
    Well I'm figuring the pro's and cons and it's a tough choice. Without the Nav I dont know if you can get the back up camera or Infinity sound system.Then there is the look difference. Smaller screen and different layout with the UVO:

http://www.clubk5.com/bbs/data/photo_mycar/sa.jpg

The NAV looks like it does a lot of neat stuff, judging by this:

http://www.clubk5.com/bbs/data/photo_mycar/K5_navi1.jpg

Again though, you can always get aftermarket portable NAV and if I'm foregoing the 2k or whatever the option runs, I can afford a nice portable unit certainly. You cant get aftermarket UVO. Finally, I'm not clear exactly what the UVO will do for me that the NAV wont beyond voice recognition music selection. I mean I think you can still do voice phone calls without UVO cant you? Meaning say "call home" or whatever and the system dials for you. Coming from a 2001 Jetta I'm a bit lost on the latest tech ;)

This is a nice video showing the interior of the Optima with the UVO and a demoing of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4mS5Cr5mdI

Going by that video, I think I'd go with the UVO and aftermarket NAV.
    I was playing around with the voice command stuff in the '11 Edge yesterday. It has a cool factor but I could live without it as I had to repeat myself several times and that was with no road/wind noise. In fact, there are four different ways to adjust the temp, fans, radio etc in the Edge. 1. voice
    2. touchscreen
    3. buttons on the steering wheel
    4. actual buttons below the touchscreen

Also, it had outside temp display and time next to the speedo and then again at the top of the touchscreen. It all seemed a little overkill to me and seemed like a lot of it was just for bragging rights if you know what I mean. Two methods would have been plenty.

I think the bluetooth for the phone is standard on the Optima so the voice dial/answer etc. should still work without UVO but I don't know for sure. From what I understand, UVO is very similar to version 1 and 2 of SYNC and Ford is now on version 4. I guess if I was buying I would take the Nav over UVO but only if I could verify that the Nav is a pretty good unit.
    I guess I'll have to play with them and then decide.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist would like to speak with a consumer who has recently installed an aftermarket GPS unit, rear entertainment unit, remote key entry, or back up camera. If interested, please send an email by Thursday, Sept 30, including the item you purchased/installed, your name, and phone number to pr@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This one seems to think the seats are just fine:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-optima-first-drive-review.html

"Making ourselves at home in the driver’s power seat was easy. Equipped with optional heated and ventilated front seats, it was the perfect match for the available heated steering wheel, as welcome a feeling as a farmer’s warm hands during an early morning milking session on a Wisconsin dairy farm. "

Alrighty then!
    from Automotive News of Sept 24th

The new Optima will begin to arrive in U.S. showrooms in late October with a base 2.4-liter four cylinder direct injection gasoline engine and optional 2.0-liter GDI turbo. A hybrid version of the Optima will go on sale in the U.S. early next year after making its debut at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100924/OEM04/100929906#ixzz- 111dmp1Ix
    While I do very much like to hear what the professionals like Edmunds and others have to say, I also like to read these smaller site reviews and see what they pick up on. This one was positive all around and he particularly liked the optional infinity sound system. Something to make a mental note of:

http://www.myride.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_o- rder_int/1/article_id_int/8795
    The guy sure was hung up on toaster ovens and he kind of lost me when he wrote.."Under the hood is a power plant that I assume must have been developed by magic wizards in the forest of awesome." That's a little too much and when he said he had to roll down the window to hear any road noise at all I started to go out to the garage to get my waders.

All in all a pretty positive review but I wonder if he ever test drove a car he didn't like.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited September 2010
    spending too much time on the farm? :surprise:

"Making ourselves at home in the driver’s power seat was easy. Equipped with optional heated and ventilated front seats, it was the perfect match for the available heated steering wheel, as welcome a feeling as a farmer’s warm hands during an early morning milking session on a Wisconsin dairy farm. "

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Pushing the 2011 Kia Optima EX on the winding Ortega Highway, we expected the Optima to push back. Our expectations were not met. The Optima was well balanced the suspension well controlled. This is a Kia?

http://www.examiner.com/auto-review-in-national/first-drive-car-review-2011-kia-- optima-ex-it-s-groundhog-day
    Again with the seats.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1049966_2011-kia-optima?utm_source=feedbu- rner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheCarConnection-NewsAndBlogs+%28The+C- ar+Connection+-+News+and+Blogs%29

"However, seating in the Optima is one weak spot. Front seats in particular feel quite short and very flat, lacking padding and contouring compared to other vehicles in this class. "

But check out the article and links to what has been said around the web. Although they pan the seats, they also describe the car as "comfortable". Other than that one sore spot it's another very good review.
    just posted on the KGIS site http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ the owners manual for the 2011 Optima as well as the Nav system users guide
    Here is a quote from most recent cars.com review.

The front seats have ample adjustment range, but after a few hours' driving I could feel harder pieces of the seat underneath the cushioning. Our test car's leather felt high-quality, but Kia could stand to crank up the padding.

I have sufficient on-board padding to the point where this may not be an issue. I remember when I went on a total health kick about 15 years ago and lost 40lbs and was pretty buff. I couldn't stand the wooden chairs at blockbuster because I really had no "padding" of my own and they felt hard and uncomfortable. Maybe the reviewers that have a problem with the hardness of the Optima's front seats are on the thin side and the reviewers that didn't mention it might be average or on the "meatier" side. It will probably boil down to a personal preference type of thing. Just a thought.
    Podcast on the Kia Optima / Sportage.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/10/carscom-podcast-2011-kia-optima-and-2- 011-kia-sportage.html

http://blogs.cars.com/files/carscom-podcast-072-1.mp3

Basically a good review and what I expected. It's a Sonata that handles a little better, looks are subjective of course but I agreed with these guys that the Optima looks "manlier". The really like the interior (for the segment). They also mention stiff seats I believe.
    Again positive

http://www.vehix.com/articles/auto-previews--trends/2011-kia-optima-first-drive

"Offsetting those positives are a few shortcomings, but at the end of the day, this once-ridiculed car company has built a legitimate rival to the Accords and Camrys of the world. Forget about perception. That’s reality."

but...

"Regardless of how you equip your 2011 Optima, you’ll find yourself sitting in what we’re sorry to report is one uncomfortable seat. There’s a lack of thigh support and the cushions are decidedly stiff, a point we understood all too well after a day’s drive. "

"We recommend giving the redesigned Optima a look, but remember to bring a cushion along for the test drive."

Concerning.
    It seems that Hyundai and Kia are fairly quick to respond to complaints such as this "seat hardness". I wonder if midyear models might be tweaked in this area. It's hard to believe that the seats in the Optima would be that different from the seats in the Sonata and I never really read about complaints about seat comfort in that vehicle. Maybe Kia thinks that part of the the "sportier experience" is to put rock hard seats in. This could definitelty be a dealbreaker for a lot of people if these reviewers are not exaggerating.
    If Kia invitated all those journalist to California for the introduction, you can bet they will be reading all their reviews to find out there thoughts - after all that was the point of the whole excercise. That way to can take care of any problems but they can't do it instantly, it takes time in the production process.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    have been a deal breaker for me on more than 1 occasion. I am quite particular when it comes to the thrones in the car.

I am not in immediate need of a new car, but if I had to get one soon, the Optima would be getting a serious look. ANd if the test sit was uncomfortable, I would not even bother to drive. Which is sad, because I love everything else I have heard about it.

Based on the Sonata, I already expect that the bottom seat cushion will be too short for decent thigh support. QUite a few cars have this porblem. One thing I love about my 2005 Accord is a nice long cushion, which gives great thigh support.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I really hope this is the case. I'm already tempted to wait to mid year or even next model year so I can get UVO and Nav together, but uncomfortable seats would be a big knock on an otherwise great looking car.

Problem is I'm ready to buy now, and just waiting for the darn things to come out. To have to wait another 6-12 months is asking a lot.

I still think this has something to do with the cooled seats.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    I called a couple of dealers in Toronto today and found that the Optima might be at least 6 months away (in Canada that is). We might see a pre-production model in November, but that's it.

I need a car in the next 2 week to a month...well, the Sonata 2.0T is supposedly arriving "soon". The dealer I spoke to has even mentioned that the Hybrid might arrive before the Turbo. Oh well.

Let me start my car research again.
    Watched the podcast that Hyundai put on yesterday and the 2.0 turbo Sonatas are starting to ship to dealers next week! Hybrids won't arrive until at least December. This came directly from the Hyundai NA president's mouth.

As far as the Optimas in Canada not for another six months....I have a hard time believing that. They are probably just wanting to sell current inventory. I'm basing that on what I've read on different forums and auto writers that have reviewed the car. Dealers are notorious for providing phoney baloney either because they want to sell present inventory or they just don't have a clue.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Thanks m6user, you just made my day. However, I sincerely hope that Krafcik referred "NA" to "USA and Canada". I must call a few other places tomorrow in Toronto and see if I have any luck. With some luck I could get my car on October 23! Positive thinking in action.
    Well, to be honest I'm not sure if he is NA or just US but I think the former.
    it could be some time before the Optima arrives in Canada, at least not till into the new year and it could end up being a 2012 model. It won't be released in the US till next month and they have yet to post any prices.
    The prices and some info have now been released on the Hyundai Canada website so your odds of getting a Sonata turbo are certainly quicker than a Optima.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    Just checked out the thread on the upcoming (by January it seems) Elantra. Looks like a slightly shrunken Sonata, with a smaller version of the same engine. Combine that with lighter weight, and it should get really good mileage.

Best of all, there is supposed to be a 5 door! hatchbacks baby.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

If you like hatches, check out the new Forte hatch--same size as the Elantra. More a hatchback than the wagon-like Elantra Touring.