Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• Options
    conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    lets hope is more effective than the Ford Sync, as Consumer Reports wasn't overly impressed with it on this video

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/frustrating-myford-touch/1irhk1cuq
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think you're right as to why they have held off with the UVO. I'm not sold on these voice command systems. It's seems very Captain Kirk to sit back and utter commands but I played around with the sync in a Ford Edge and I could have used my hands a lot quicker and easier. I realize the "eyes off the road thing" but I've never really had a problem finding a radio station or adjusting the HVAC controls in the past. Unless it works very, very well I don't think I even want to mess with it.
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2010
    My local Kia dealer is currently charging $3,000 over MSRP on all new 2011 Optimas on the lot right now (huh). The salesman told me people are indeed paying $3,000 over MSRP, and he has proof to show it. I told him politely that I am only allowed to buy at invoice price and will be happy to wait when it comes. Then he got his manager, and the manager shouted at me, "you're nuts," expecting I won't get it at invoice price. Right when I walk out the door, the manager and salesman agreed to sell me at invoice price. Then they told me I'm the first person ever to ask for it. Nobody has asked about invoice price. But I still decline it because I was just playing around, and then they both said "you're nuts" to me again for not taking their invoice offer. Too funny.

Was I foolish to not accept their invoice offer, or was this dealer playing a trick to me only to be entertained?
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I agree with you on the UVO/SYNC tech as far as it being easier just to hit the button. That said, I can see where it might be fun and even useful from time to time. In any event, it's a standard option in certain trim levels as far as I know, and to buy the car without it seems like settling for less assuming it's right around the corner.
  • Options
    Not foolish at all, I'd probably have some choice words for them. Regardless of it being a good deal or not, and for me invoice sounds like a good deal on a new model, they sound like imbeciles and generally annoying to deal with. They try for 3k over MSRP and some people are foolish enough to pay it. Offer them 15k under invoice and call them idiots when they refuse you, then go to another dealer.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Then they told me I'm the first person ever to ask for it. Nobody has asked about invoice price.

LOL! That's a good one!

If I were you, I'd run, run as fast as I could from that dealership. I would not be able to trust them on anything, including service, after that incident.

If you are willing to wait awhile, you'll be able to get the 2011 Optima below invoice. It might take several months at least though... depends on how long it takes for the "gotta be the first person on my block to get a new Optima" buyers to be satisfied.
  • Options
    Their latest ad. Great job on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-q0eK8HL0
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    edited December 2010
    Is the Optima on sale yet? I've seen many local ads but have not seen one in person yet. It looks far better than the Sonota to me and certainly worth a test drive from what I've heard.
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    My dealer just received two.I drove one, and in one word......FABULOUS.
  • Options
    optima2011optima2011 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased Optima 2011, 2 weeks ago. Test drove Sonata after test driving Optima 1st. Made a fast track back to Kia dealership and purchased Optima EX. No comparison. Sonata was tight handling and rough ride. Was not impressed expecially after all of the rave reviews about the Sonata. Body Style, Luxury, Handling, Gas Milage, Ride, all at an afforadable price. INCREDIBLE!!! I LOVE THIS OPTIMA. Well Done KIA.

I bought the 1st and only one off the truck. In the last 2 weeks they have received 3 more. Dealer 50 miles away has about 5 on the lot, according to the internet.
  • Options
    Anyone in the NJ area know of any dealers who have one to look at? The few I called by me have none yet.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    well, I stopped in Cherry Hill Monday (or might have been tuesday) , and they did not have any yet, but expect some in this week.

should be out soon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    trainer1366trainer1366 Member Posts: 24
    After patiently waiting for 2 months, a sexy, Dark Cherry EX 2.4 with the Tech package arrived at my local dealership last week. After the test drive, I decided on a EX Turbo with the Premium package. The salesman was a jerk--- he knew nothing about the car, said the price would be $32k for the EX Turbo and wanted a cash deposit in order to find one for me. I was livid!! I walked out and called another dealer who claimed to be able to get a Dark Cherry EX 2.4 with the Tech and Premium packages. He has a black one on the lot at present. But I'm not certain he's being honest because after chatting with the Kia Corporate office, I learned the following info:
    a. The EX Turbo will hit showroom floors in mid January 2011
    b. The SX and SX Turbo- in February 2011
    c. The Hybrid - in March 2011.
    I would have liked to purchase it as a X-mas gift to myself, but now I guess I'll have to wait. I think Kias are awesome due to purchasing a new 2004 Optima EX V6. fully loaded. It was a great car.
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    James Kia in Flemington on RT 202 has an LX and an EX in stock. Burlington, Cherry Hill and Turnersville are all getting them by the middle of next week.
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    cars.com is now loaded with 2011 Optimas. It is the best looking vehicle offered by Hyundai/Kia today. Blows away the Sonota IMHO.

891 new 2011s on cars.com tonight.

Cars.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm in Georgia. Will the NJ dealer do a swap?
  • Options
    Thank for the info and I totally agree! The Optima= Coke; the Sonata= Diet Coke. Bring on the caffeine!!!
  • Options
    The dealer in NJ now has 6 in stock, 3 each of LX and EX. According to cars.com, his inventory is practically the only in the entire northeast, cause it was the only thing that came up within 150 miles of Philly.

There is much inventory currently in NC, according to cars.com. The other dealers in NJ should be receiving their initial spoon fed inventory this week. If the dealers treat it like the original Sonata inventory, they will only receive a little at a time and they will be stingy with trading and probably stingy with discounting.

It iritates me because I have been offered a Sonata Limited Turbo from 2 different dealers at 1900 and 2000 below invoice and I have a feeling I'm going to love the Optima once I get behind the wheel. I wanted to pull the trigger before the end of the year, but I know no dealer is going to discount it low enough for me.
  • Options
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1012_2011_kia_optima_sx/index.html

"In an alternate universe, we're tearing through the blissfully serpentine asphalt twisting through Topanga Canyon outside of Los Angeles; a pull of the steering wheel paddle shifter drops the transmission into second before we enter a sweeping corner. Hard on the brakes, and then back into throttle to power out; we're now three-up in the new turbocharged 2011 Kia Optima SX, and quickly bearing down upon a BMW 5 Series. Sound like a dream? Hardly: the Optima SX hungrily devours challenging corners, and its turbocharged engine backs up its good looks with plenty of bite. "
  • Options
    http://www.insideline.com/kia/optima/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-vs-2011-kia-optima- -comparison-test.html

"We often see comparison tests like this one produce point spreads in the five-to-10-point range. With a commanding 16.3-point margin of victory over the reigning champ, the Kia Optima EX beat the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS at its own game; proving that it is a truly a car worth your consideration — just like the 2011 Hyundai Sonata did when it was introduced

Our clever scheme to compare the same car with different wrappers became a rather significant victory for one and a bit of a black eye for the other. It turns out there are enough differences in content, execution and dynamics to declare the Optima EX a completely different — and better — car than the Sonata GLS."
  • Options
    A good review along with a video:

[url=http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/DRIVING-NORTHWEST--112017869.htm- l]DRIVING NORTHWEST: 2011 Kia Optima | KING5.com | Seattle Featured Video on Demand[/url]

[quote]If the competition doesn’t see Optima as a threat, they have their eyes shut and fingers in their ears. At a much lower transaction price it includes features not even available on Accord, Camry and Altima. Kia’s combination of design, performance, efficiency and value put Optima in a class by itself. [/quote]
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    more value for less price is indeed the Kia way, man. That is one thing that enamors me to the brand. One could also bring up the generous Long-Haul Warranty for another reason, and great Kia body styles as another.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    http://drivencarreviews.com/?p=3594

If the competition doesn’t see Optima as a threat, they have their eyes shut and fingers in their ears. At a much lower transaction price it includes features not even available on Accord, Camry and Altima. Kia’s combination of design, performance, efficiency and value put Optima in a class by itself.
  • Options
    good news for US consumers, Kia stepped up Optima production in November with 7,580 units for export compared to 5,762 in Oct and 1,780 in Sept.
  • Options
    couyoncouyon Member Posts: 8
    Bought the EX with premium package just over a week ago and already have over a 1000 miles on it, work car. I was going to wait on EX with Turbo but needed to buy now so couldn't wait. So far averaging just under 28 MPG in mixed driving and between 32 - 35 MPG on highway. Obviously with amount of miles I put on the car this was very important to me. Car drives great and I am getting a lot of compliments.
  • Options
    I plan to purchase tommorrow- Ex with Premium package. How much did you pay, if I may ask?
  • Options
    $23,745 before T,T, & L
  • Options
    sbwawsbwaw Member Posts: 3
    Couyon,
    The premium package has a power passenger seat, right? If so, does it allow for height adjustment? I don't think the Sonata does--and the passenger seat seems very low for shorter people due to the high windows/beltline.

Thanks,
    MB
  • Options
    The passenger seat has 4 way adjustment so not height adjustable. My wife is 5ft 3 and has not complained about the height though. when we test drove the sonata she did mention that she found it low so maybe the optima is set a little higher. I was concerned when we read the reviews of complaints about seat comfort but so far we both find the car seats to be comfortable, more so than our test drive of the Sonata. longest drive so far has been hour and half so maybe on longer drives it is an issue.
  • Options
    sbwawsbwaw Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. The Sonata seat height was pretty much a deal breaker for us, hopefully it's better in the Optima (which I think I might like a little better anyway based on photos and reviews).
  • Options
    My new Optima will be driven 280 miles to my local dealer. If I do not want the miles on the car, what can I do, other than go get it myself? Can I ask the dealer to lower the price on it? Please advise.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Even if you go get it yourself, the miles will still be put on the car, plus you'll have the expense of whoever is driving you to go pick it up (gas + any tolls). The dealer you are dealing with is getting the specific car you want through a dealer swap. Since the Optima is now just being delivered to most dealers, why not negotiate with the dealers who have exactly what you want. Unless you need to have the car immediately for some reason, I would negotiate with dealers within a 100 mile radius (or as far as you're willing to drive) that have the specific car that you want. It's not like there's a rebate that's expiring soon so you HAVE to buy it now. Remember, it's YOUR money, buying something YOU want. Don't be pressured into getting something that you don't feel 100% ok with, and that includes a dealer swap from 280 miles away. Best of luck with your decision.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you don't want the extra miles on the car, you can pay to have the car transported on a truck. That will cost you a lot more than those 280 miles are worth, IMO.
  • Options
    Leftlane review

Leftlane’s bottom line
    Kia is doing their part to prove that they are not carbon copy clones of their cousins over at Hyundai. In the process, they have produced a ride that, to borrow from the Kia Soul Hamsters, has you humming in your head, “you can get with this, or you can get with that.”

We’ll take this.

tflcar review

The Optima Turbo SX has a rather firm, sporty ride and quick, heavy steering. It tracks beautifully—you feel as if you could take your hands off the wheel on a freeway for miles and it would keep going in a straight line. Its firm-riding 45-series tires on 18-inch wheels were very noisy on some Miami freeway and secondary road pavement.

I briefly drove the EX Turbo and found it has slightly lighter steering, wider, smoother-riding 55-series tires on 17-inch wheels, but less responsive handling than the SX.
  • Options
    barthshoebarthshoe Member Posts: 1
    One week ago, purchased Optima EX with Nav and other package. Today, while at the dealer for auto detailing, I looked at a Optima LX in showroom. The carpeting in the LX was plush while the carpeting in my EX resembles the trunk liner material. The carpet is not plush, although it looks ok and fits very well. I am just wondering why a difference. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pavlogradpavlograd Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I test drove an Optima for the first time today. It was a pearl white EX with everything. We loved it. However, might I ask what bright marketing person at KIA does not understand that as much as I like the car, I don't know if I can get used to a badge (stuck everywhere, even right in front of me on the steering wheel) with big obtrusive capital letters 'KIA'? Don't they realize American mentality? That KIA stands for 'Killed in Action'? And even if it didn't stand for something so negative, who would want big block letter cluttering up an otherwise great looking car? The Genesis (Hyundai) offers an option where even the Hyundia badge symbol can be replaced with silver wings! Somebody is getting it at least!

And the Turbo?? Yeah, we want to wait for the turbo in a couple of months, BUT on top of the price of the car, I'll HAVE to spring for a new set of wheels (which will hurt resale value) because of the absurd design they chose to equip the turbo with. They look like food slicing blade from a Cuisinart food processor or something. I'd be happy to buy the turbo and just have the wheels that come on the EX!!! Will they swap them for me for no upcharge maybe?

On the positive side... We had just driven an Altima 2.5S Coupe before driving the Optima. Wow! What a difference! The Altima, as equipped, stickered at about $29,500. I wouldn't have paid $20,000 for it due to the 'growl' of its 4 cylinder engine which sounded like 4 cyl Pontiac GrandAm from 1986 or something like that.

KIA - LOSE those food processor looking wheels on the Turbo BEFORE its released PLEASE!! If someone [non-permissible content removed]-bag wants wheels like that, let HIM be the one to have to go buy them! Don't make me and many others have to buy a set of EX wheels to replace them so we can look civilized. If you are going to keep these wheels, then you need to have the windows to automatically roll down when the stereo is playing loud! Second - get someone talented to design you a descent upscale BADGE and LOSE the big block lettered KIA that looks like it belongs on the back of a delivery truck! Steve in Maineville, OH
  • Options
    if you are so dead set against the KIA logo badges, you can get replacement logos available online.
    The EX turbo does not have the rims you mentioned, that is only on the SX which also has an optional 18" rims.

KIA - first syllable KI means "to arise to the world, or to come up out of to the world". The second syllable, A, means "Asia". So the world KIA, means "to arise from" or "to come up out of Asia to the world".
    You can always find another meaning for any letters. Maybe Ford should change there's, I thought that meant "Found on road, dead". GMC - "great mechanical crap", etc, etc :)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The best car name was the Chevy Nova in Mexico where it means doesn't go.
  • Options
    you missed my point about the badge. I have no problem with the name of the company. I have no problem with buying a car made by 'KIA'. However, I do know that many American company names had to be changed due to offending certain foreigners because we accidentally chose a name that 'meant something unpleasant' in their language. Evidently, return consideration doesn't apply. But, again, it isn't the name of the car that irritates me. KIA doesn't have a LOGO badge like Hyundai, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, Buick, or the Chevy bowtie. Just these big 3 letters plastered not so very subtlety, but rather like a big billboard on the front and back of the car and also right in my face in the middle of the steering wheel! Get a LOGO or a real badge please and lose the 3 big block letters - or at least make the letter font more elegant and upscale??
  • Options
    EX Turbo vs SX Turbo - First, I wasn't aware that the EX Turbo would have different wheels. Are they the same as the 4cyl EX? However, along with losing the wheels, one would lose the sportier handling of the SX, the LED tailights, the HID headlights, and a few other items found only on the SX that I can't remember all of them right now. But, thanks for letting me know that I can get an EX Turbo with what I assume you mean to be more 'classic' styled alloy wheels. I'm wanting Spicy Red with tan interior.
  • Options
    Just remembered - others things one would lose by getting EX Turbo over SX Turbo are the 12" brake rotors, the tuned electric power steering, and maybe the counter tuning (80ms turbo delay) for torque steer.
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Great response!
  • Options
    I do not know this for a fact, but supposedly the first car in this video shows the SX with the optional "Luxury" wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjG42fk5W-A

As for the KIA badges everywhere they can be replaced after market I'm sure. The EX Turbo I believe comes with the same 17's and wheel style as the regular EX, could be wrong though.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I'm a military retiree and I often think of the acronym for killed-in-action when I see the KIA logo. However, I'm not offended in any way. If you were in the military you know they have acronyms for just about everything so I can't see avoiding naming my company a certain name . which is worldwide. because the US military has the same thing as an acronym.

I do agree with you though that the KIA is just somewhat of a tacky logo compared to most automakers. But GMC is just as prominently displayed so why not complain about that too. I think it's differnt if you use an actual word for a car that translates into some derogatory in someone elses language.

Maybe a stylized K or something would look better. The big block letters on the black backround just don't do anything for me either.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I FINALLY purchased it with the miles and I do not care 'cause I luv it! After 3 months of waiting for the release... all I do now is "smile and wave" while profiling. LOL
  • Options
    I agree 100%! It isn't really the name, but the way it is displayed in such bold block and big letters that bothers me.
  • Options
    Congrats on the new car! What did you end up getting? Colors and all that. I'd love to hear a first hand review =)
  • Options
    A Dark Cherry EX with the Premium package because I did'nt want to wait around on the EX Turbo which will hit showroom floors in mid January. Which features do I love the most? EVERYTHING, especially the heated seats, red driver angled display, super smooth ride and the crazy, mean looking black grill. It is taking me a while to get used to the length --I feel like I'm in a full size car. :-)

The car receives a lot of attention! Comments like, "What kind of sports car is this?! Lexus IS, ES or Jag? Kudos to Peter S and the KIA design team! I even like the KIA logo on the steering wheel....lol
    :shades: :D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I NEVER thought I would purchase another KIA—I was on point to purchase a CPO 2008/09 Lexus ES 350. I love the hands free Bluetooth, panoramic sunroof, cooled and heated seats, and lumbar support.

Peter S. and the KIA design team dialed up the heat and produced the best looking sedan on the road. Hands down. Accord/Camry/Altima/Mazda 6/Fusion/Sonata/Malibu – all these losers should bring it or go home.